Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

What Happens If We Don't Transfer?

Cadaei

Currently I've got my main on Rakata Mind Prison. It's pretty dead. On the one hand, I don't want to be stuck on an empty dead server. On the other, I've got a few friends here that I don't want to lose by transferring to a server I've never head of beore.

So just out of curiosity... what happens to those of us that do not transfer? Will the transfers end and we're stuck with emptyness?

Currently I've got my main on Rakata Mind Prison. It's pretty dead. On the one hand, I don't want to be stuck on an empty dead server. On the other, I've got a few friends here that I don't want to lose by transferring to a server I've never head of beore.

So just out of curiosity... what happens to those of us that do not transfer? Will the transfers end and we're stuck with emptyness?

Will your friends not be transferring? Becuase everyone on your server will be going to the same destination server.

Will your friends not be transferring? Becuase everyone on your server will be going to the same destination server.

Well they say that the destination servers might change with updates... I'm just curious what happens to the origin servers to those who stay and miss the boat.

Well they say that the destination servers might change with updates... I'm just curious what happens to the origin servers to those who stay and miss the boat.

I'd imagine, after a decent amount of time (maybe 3+ months), they'll close down origin servers, just allowing character on them to be transfer off, but not played until they are.

Wait until it gets so empty they merge it?

I'd like to answer to this as well.

There are only 10 slots on Jung Ma and I had planned on having all 20 character classes, but I won't have enough room if I start transferring both factions to the same server.

Have you got some special magic edition of the game from 2-3 years in the future? There are only 8 slots and 16 advanced classes in the version I play...

More seriously, you weren't ever going to be able to have 1 of each ADVANCED class on the same server. So transfer what you have onto whichever server you get offered in the current round, then pick another well-populated server to create your second legacy on.

You get to sit around on an even more dead husk of a server while the largest servers become larger. I don't see the merging a ton of dead servers into one single server.

Makes more sense in my mind to try and balance populations as evenly across all servers as possible. Sounds easier to merge a bunch of diluted servers one-to-one. Rather than merging many dried up servers into one.

Sooner or later every player and every character on the servers will be transferred automatically in a process called "server merge".

I am sure that BioWare won't continue offering all the servers except the destination ones after the transfers.

They have 120 servers on lease for an unknown amount of time. They have to pay for those servers whether they use them or not so you will not see mergers done until the lease runs out.

Since server leases usually last for one year, it's fairly safe to estimate they will not merge until November/December at the earliest.

You have 3 options:

1) Take your free transfer now

2) Wait for paid transfers ~ 3 months away

3) Wait for server merges ~ 6 months away

They are not going to switch origin and destination servers. Once they two are linked that's it until the free transfers have ended. They have also said they will give plenty of warning before the free transfers will end.

TBH, if you really have friends you don't want to leave behind, just arrange for you all to put in your transfers in together. There is not reason why you wouldn't take the option of transferring.

Destinations will remain the same for that origin server no matter what while free transfers are available.

This is incorrect, the desination servers won't change, they might have changed internally before the transfers began, but they shouldn't anymore.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=472600

It looks like this line is causing a little bit of confusion. Hopefully I can help clear that up! What we're saying here is that we're unable to provide the origins and destinations in advance because those lists may change internally as we watch the response to transfers. We'll be monitoring populations and how many players are transferring, which will inform our decisions about further origin and destination servers. We won't be changing the destination on you once it's announced, we just don't want to announce a pair too early.
Edited by CaptiveHero

This is incorrect, the desination servers won't change, they might have changed internally before the transfers began, but they shouldn't anymore.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=472600

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=4611782&postcount=656

The quantity will very likely change as we monitor the transfer process, so I can't really give a good estimate right now. We'll be adding new origin and destination servers with the goal of ensuring that destination server populations are healthy. This may mean sending more origin servers to a destination or opening up new destinations. Because of the nature of the process, it's hard to predict how many we will during a specific timeframe.

Edited by Kabaal

You get to sit around on an even more dead husk of a server while the largest servers become larger. I don't see the merging a ton of dead servers into one single server.

Makes more sense in my mind to try and balance populations as evenly across all servers as possible. Sounds easier to merge a bunch of diluted servers one-to-one. Rather than merging many dried up servers into one.

1. Spreading every single player out evenly among all 200 servers would in no way be easier. It would be incredibly complicated if not impossible. (Not from a technological standpoint, from a getting 900,000 people all to do something standpoint)

2. Spreading all of these people out over every single server would make the population problems we have right now worse. There are currently too many servers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.