Auck

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a silly thing to do.

Okay, everyone. Remember how we got here? The game was released and many servers had queues. Sure, most of the queues were pretty short, but you had to wait to play the game that you paid for and people whined endlessly, insulting Bioware, Obama, and electricity and threatening to publicly accuse Bioware of crimes if they didn't have their selfish, short-sighted demands met.

And Bioware did it.

Now, transfers are starting, and they start out slow --as anyone who has any shred of experience in large-scale services knows is a smart move-- and what happens: People whine endlessly, insulting Bioware and demanding that Bioware implement reckless, uncontrolled, and unmanageable transfers.

You know what would be really stupid: If Bioware listened to any of you. You are the problem. You are the ones who put us in this situation. You should be apologizing and supporting them as they fix the issue you created.

Exactly...

Just more proof that no effort was made, during development, to produce a good test bed for database tools and administration. For a program that is expected to be huge, that is a major fail. More evidence that EA hired total noobs.

Do you work in the industry? Do you have any idea how the server transfer work at a technical level? Have you even CONSIDERED the fact that they are starting slow on purpose? They need to make sure a smooth process for everyone that isn't bringing down the physical servers that are doing the data crunching. Do you know how easy it is to bring down a server with a stuck process of bad batch job?

You people make me sick. I am ashamed to say I play the same game as some of you.

I want all of you who can't stick out a day or two wait to just quit. Quit right now. Get off the forums and leave the rest of us to talk about the game in a constructive manner.

Edited by Arkerus

I also wanted to point out that this process was outlined in our community blog last week and in our main transfer thread here. Specifically:

This process will be gradual and staged over time. Despite huge improvements being made to the Character Transfer Service by our server team, there are millions of characters to be moved and there is a limit to how many can be moved daily. We want your character to be transferred as quickly as possible, but we will need you to be patient as the process completes.

Millions of characters? really? you don't want to rethink that guess? If there were millions of characters to be moved we wouldn't need to be moving now would we?

As for the very very very small amount of servers open for transfer for the first few days from the sounds of it well this sums it up...its as if millions (if you go buy joveth's estimate) of voices all screamed out and were suddenly silenced....

Are you guys still happy they didn't merge servers? Lmao, think how long it will take before BioWare opens up all the servers for transfers. Gonna take years. Most pathetic country on Earth, right after EA.

Posts are changing positions on each page. It looks like mods going through and deleting the offensive/trolling ones.

And dont forgot the posts that are negative towards the game, BW always delete negative posts in every thread :rolleyes:

Edited by kmufc

So many people are saying that others have no patience. When you pay for a service, patience isn't what you're paying for. You're paying for action. If this was a free to play game then by all means, keep your griped to yourself. But since we are paying to play and a lot of us can't get a decent experience because of low server populations there will be an out cry. Server transfers might be premature.

They should've started with mergers and then once the populations balanced out, offer transfers. But at any cost vague information like "soon", "eventually" and "gradually" are very helpful. At the very least they could've given a list of the future server transfer lists with estimated dates would, I believe, quiet some of the out cry.

Just my thoughts.

^This

WoW didn't even have server transfers for what, 3 years? And you want BW to have it in place at launch for a game that had every server full to the brim? Come on, man.

Is it 2005 or 2006? Oh, it is 2012.

The same response will be " during 1960 they didnt even have computers, be happy that you posess one now".

/empathy - I know how you feel 16:27 (4:47PM) in here on UTHAR WYNN and 9 people only on all planet without filter!

My screenshot it's without filter....15 people in server. All day it's like today.

Yea they are kicking themselves in the face (probably most of the people that have alot of money invested)....and this is their last chance to fix the game.

Some people say there should have been tranfers 4 months ago....The game was still in diapers...If your server died 4 months ago why didn't you go somewhere else...??

WoW didn't even have server transfers for what, 3 years? And you want BW to have it in place at launch for a game that had every server full to the brim? Come on, man.

WoW didnt need them because they made an awesome game people liked with enough servers only to handle the masses and not 100s when they only needed 50. WoW's developers keep winning all the other mmos in the world combined do not equal the numbers WoW has. The mismanagement of this game (too many servers too soon) caused this fiasco. Blizzard did not (and still doesnt) have that problem.

Thats what a guild website is for.. so you can actually post important info like this.. and chat when not playing a game..

Having to rely on outside game mechanics to perform a simple feature is just bad design, bad database management, and just bad management period.

The only way the transfer to Fatman/Jedi Covenant makes sense is if the origin servers are super dead. And will result in 6 total transfers. "Well we'll top up these, and then build on others."

Unless you missed it, the Bioware staff basically works ALL day Tuesday. Early morning till night. Large IT projects like this have staff on hand every single hour of the day.

If you don't work in the field, don't comment on what you believe are their hours.

I'd stop just short of calling this a large project...10 servers isn't that impressive to me.

Since you have Bioware's employee schedule on hand I'll just submit to your wisdom...oh wait...

Seriously do not understand people who take pot shots in threads and have no idea what they are responding to.

People who pick fights over off topic posts in thread are almost as dumb as people that assume they know what a person does for a living...but not quite.

Yeah I do miss my 2- 50's on Iron Citadel, But I got smart and rerolled about a month ago, already have 2-30's on fatman. Granted it is a pain knowing i will have 2 servers, 2 legacies and multiple guilds to account for once I am able to transfer, but it gets to a point when you realize. Why complain when you can just reroll. Saying bye to all you worked for is hard, i know. Just reroll on fatman until your transfer is on the list. Simple as that.

Do you work in the industry? Do you have any idea how the server transfer work at a technical level? Have you even CONSIDERED the fact that they are starting slow on purpose? They need to make sure a smooth process for everyone that isn't bringing down the physical servers that are doing the data crunching. Do you know how easy it is to bring down a server with a stuck process of bad batch job?

You people make me sick. I am ashamed to say I play the same game as some of you.

I want all of you who can't stick out a day or two wait to just quit. Quit right now. Get off the forums and leave the rest of us to talk about the game in a constructive manner.

1.) Stop insulting others.

2.) I'm not the person you were responding to.

3.) You are not being "constructive" in that post, despite you asking everyone else to do the same.

4.) Many of us already canceled our auto-renewal for subscriptions but have time left (I have until August 17th).

5.) He doesn't need to be an 'expert' in order to see that one company made Transfers work just fine (eg: Trion with Rift), and another is struggling just to do phased, one-way transfers that don't "move" guilds (eg: Bioware with TOR).

Time to take a wider view instead of the insults.

Edited by cipher_nemo

Rift launched over a year ago, and they launched with server transfers. Since BW launched SWTOR just over 6 months ago, then hell yes I expect them to launch with it.

WoW didnt need them because they made an awesome game people liked with enough servers only to handle the masses and not 100s when they only needed 50. WoW's developers keep winning all the other mmos in the world combined do not equal the numbers WoW has. The mismanagement of this game (too many servers too soon) caused this fiasco. Blizzard did not (and still doesnt) have that problem.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2986509135

I don't think everyone agrees with you. And that's just the compilation thread.. there are dozens of other locked threads linking to it...

Edited by Lakhesis