1.3 Better than Advanced Targetting...

Let us all list the things we would like better than the new Advanced Targeting...

I can think of 2 right off the bat

1.) Dual Wield Mastery - 12/24% bonus damage to offhand weapon from Sith Marader tree.

I would even be as happy with an 8/16% bonus. My offhand weapon hits for between 10% and 20% of the damage of my main-hand in simulations. I have 2 WH pistol with same damage output. I know they say offhand damage is 30% but I have not seen it.

2.) Keep it the same old way except make it 2/4/6% for ranged and 1/2/3% for tech accuracy.

Everyone says accuracy sucks but I have already pulled most of the mods from my armor. Now they want me to spend time and credits to try and bring it back up. Even with 100% ranged accy, my offhand misses about 20% of the time. We are dual wield and should get some benefit from having a 2nd pistol.

Post what you would rather have... or comment on mine.

EDIT: PLEASE! No more requests for interrupts in this thread. I do not need one or want one.

They will only remove something that we would probably all cry about later.

Edited by Briggs_Knightly

You know, I actually like this change. I'm a rank 83 Pyrotech Merc with more than half War Hero gear and I'd much rather have a useful talent at the bottom of that tree rather than some accuracy. I know it sucks if you've already remodded your gear, but overall it's a big improvement. I've been messing around with it on the PTS and (though I don't have any numbers to show) it does seem to help much more than an additional 3% accuracy.

What I don't like his how Powertechs still seem to get preferential treatment when it comes to talents. With this change we now have a Rail Shot that ignores 60% armor as opposed to the Powertech's 90%. The worst part? They have a first tier talent (in their middle tree) that requires the exact same amount of points as ours but gives 30% more armor penetration. It's little things like this combined with the fact that we still don't have an interrupt (and, as far as I know, the devs haven't even given a reason for that), we still don't have an ability that gives a 100% chance to proc CGC and despite its higher mobility our version of Pyrotech still requires you to stop and charge/channel Unload/Power Shot. This is why Powertechs with the same gear and skill will almost always consistently outdamage Mercenaries in PvP.

So I guess this change is most definitely a welcome shift in the right direction for making us a class that's competitively viable in PvP, but we've still got a very long way to go before we're on par with most of the other dps classes.

Edited by TheHeat

You know, I actually like this change. I'm a rank 83 Pyrotech Merc with more than half War Hero gear and I'd much rather have a useful talent at the bottom of that tree rather than some accuracy. I know it sucks if you've already remodded your gear, but overall it's a big improvement. I've been messing around with it on the PTS and (though I don't have any numbers to show) it does seem to help much more than an additional 3% accuracy.

What I don't like his how Powertechs still seem to get preferential treatment when it comes to talents. With this change we now have a Rail Shot that ignores 60% armor as opposed to the Powertech's 90%. The worst part? They have a first tier talent (in their middle tree) that requires the exact same amount of points as ours but gives 30% more armor penetration. It's little things like this combined with the fact that we still don't have an interrupt (and, as far as I know, the devs haven't even given a reason for that), we still don't have an ability that gives a 100% chance to proc CGC and despite its higher mobility our version of Pyrotech still requires you to stop and charge/channel Unload/Power Shot. This is why Powertechs with the same gear and skill will almost always consistently outdamage Mercenaries in PvP.

So I guess this change is most definitely a welcome shift in the right direction for making us a class that's competitively viable in PvP, but we've still got a very long way to go before we're on par with most of the other dps classes.

Well to be fair, pyro mercs also get the armor pen on unload, which will be used often to proc RS. Also PT pyros are more visible being in the thick of things due to 10m range, while pyro mercs can fight from the sidelines and also use cleanse. Mind you, I'm not saying that merc pyros are better (indeed I prefer PT pyro), but it's not as bad as you think especially with the 1.3 changes. Overall a nice change for mercs IMO.

The lack of interrupts is the one no-brainer thing that Bioware must provide to mercs. Also PTs excel in other areas like taunts and grapple. Overall they are both different playstyles. Another thing that Bioware could provide are knockbacks with roots for mercs... I mean just look at snipers!

And BTW I do have a 50 merc, and an almost 50 PT.

I don't think BW will ever put us on par with the PTs for damage (even though we are DPS).

I believe that they made this change as a reaction to our complaints about PTs being better because...

What I'm hoping for is some ideas that would make us better but not OP. Ideas that would give us unique skills that differentiate us and make us balanced with them.

We have 7 tier 1 choices while most others have 8. Some options to drop that to seven would be:

Make the new AT a 15/30% armor penetration

This would seem like the better cost for the tier/benefit

Make ICP a 2/4% increase to Endurance

They want us to be less damage and more defensive...

Insulated armor reduces elemental damage by 15/30%

If they can lock us down and burn us up, at least this will let us live longer

Increase the damage dealt by all ranged attacks by 4/8%

Arsen is the missile class so we can be the ranged class

Bring afterburners to our tier 1 slot

At least make it an option that pyros can side spec in.

Certainly some of you have other ideas that can be better/different than what we got...

Well to be fair, pyro mercs also get the armor pen on unload, which will be used often to proc RS. Also PT pyros are more visible being in the thick of things due to 10m range, while pyro mercs can fight from the sidelines and also use cleanse. Mind you, I'm not saying that merc pyros are better (indeed I prefer PT pyro), but it's not as bad as you think especially with the 1.3 changes. Overall a nice change for mercs IMO.

The lack of interrupts is the one no-brainer thing that Bioware must provide to mercs. Also PTs excel in other areas like taunts and grapple. Overall they are both different playstyles. Another thing that Bioware could provide are knockbacks with roots for mercs... I mean just look at snipers!

And BTW I do have a 50 merc, and an almost 50 PT.

No, I totally agree with you. They are definitely two different playstyles and maybe some of the comparisons I made weren't fair considering how Powertechs need to be within close range to be most effective. I much prefer to sit at a distance and dps rather than being in the middle of the fray. That being said, you can't dispute the much higher damage output from Powertechs compared to Mercs.

Bottom line, I think we'd be perfectly fine if we had an interrupt and an ability that had a 100% chance to proc CGC. The problem is without those two things there's absolutely no reason to pick a Mercenary over a Powertech for rated Warzones.

Edited by TheHeat

Agreed with 2nd post. I'd much rather have passive armor penetration vs accuracy.

Dual wielding mastery should be a lvl 55 talent, not skill tree.

Dual Wield Mastery is already a 2 point tier-1 skill for the Marauder/Carnage tree that gives 12/24% offhand weapon damage

The new talent is excellent. Problem is, we still don't have an equivalent to powertechs flame burst. Give us 100% combustible proc chance on power shot or something like that, as well as this new armor pen, and I'd be very happy.

With my pyro merc, I'm liking this change- 30% armor pen to unload and railshot (for a total of 60%), oooh yeah. On live I tear things up with pyro merc (regardless of how many people say pyro for merc sucks, hahaha), this'll likely even things up with pyro PT in a different way IMO. Edited by Sookster

Insulated armor reduces elemental damage by 15/30%

If they can lock us down and burn us up, at least this will let us live longer

Certainly some of you have other ideas that can be better/different than what we got...

While I don't mind the other changes you suggested, this one would be HUGELY OP.

To put it in perspective, my juggernaut immortal TANK has a tier 6 talent (dark blood) to reduce elemental/internal damage by 2% / 4%. While this is admittedly a bit underwhelming for tanks, you can see how a 15% / 30% reduction would be unwarranted and over the top for a dps class. :)

The new talent is excellent. Problem is, we still don't have an equivalent to powertechs flame burst. Give us 100% combustible proc chance on power shot or something like that, as well as this new armor pen, and I'd be very happy.

I agree with you 100% on this. Without that 100% CGC proc we won't be on the same level. Plus, if it's on Power Shot, it's still kept in line because it has a cast time.