To me this game dose not represent an MMO.

Trigaa

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BLA BLA BLA WALL OF TEXT

we dont care u dont like it? then get out of here u wont be missed just try to not smash the door to hard cause nobody cares what peeps like you say the game is an mmo and a great mmo haters gonna hate kkthxbb

I do recall telling fanboys to go away.

I agree completely...i find it to be more of a single player mmo....if that makes any sense. I find myself doing my own crap 24/7 rather than with a group.

yeah.

Its a bit too single player like, its good but lacks somthing when it comes to the multiplayer aspect. Probably as with a companion I can do virtually everything myself quicker than finding a group.

MMORPG:

Massive

Multi-user

Roll

Playing

Game

Which of these does TOR not represent? Just because it not the kind of MMO you prefer does not mean it's not an MMO. The PT Cruiser is not a car I prefer but doesn't mean that it's not a car.

yeah.

Its a bit too single player like, its good but lacks somthing when it comes to the multiplayer aspect. Probably as with a companion I can do virtually everything myself quicker than finding a group.

So, just like vanilla WoW? Or LotrO? Guess those were single player games too.

Edited by Claymaniac

Its true that you are entitled to have your opinion and I will not flame you for yours being imo wrong. However, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck then it must be a duck ...

No lag in EvE?? Been to Jita lately? flown through Amarr?? The reason lag is limited in EvE is due to years of them refining code and asset allocation.

I have no experience partying and crossing shards to do so yet because I set out to avoid overpopulated servers from the start, like I do in all MMO's I play. Fully integrated worlds, seamless, are a pretty new thing, zoning used to be fairly common and as games go back to more instanced items it will be more common again. It is a good way to avoid over camping and control aspects of lag.

This game will be better off once people start accepting it for what it is instead of comparing it to things it isnt. It doesnt have the years behind other mmo's nor the hands on application of their techniques. It will evolve for the beter as most games do. At this point its like comparing a new born to a sixteen year old. Sure the new born has tons of potential but its not gonna run down to the store and pick you up a soda just because you want it to.

while the loading screens are quite annoying while traveling, having star wars being a seemless world would be, weird, only 1 planet would be kinda lame.

The entire game should have been on tatooine

Observe the possibilities -

Planet-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Tatooine.jpg/300px-Tatooine.jpg

Player gameplay -

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/DRETH3N/desert2.jpg

Edited by PsySHOK

when I think of MMO I think of one giant seamless world, or at least a world with minimal seems. SW:TOR seems more like a co-op online game.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

An MMO is, well, exactly what is says it is. A Massively Multiplayer Online game. That is, a "large"- somewhat subjective but usually defined as 'hundreds'- number of people playing the same game, online, at the same time. They do not have to be playing together. What I've always referred to as 'COGs' (Co-op Online Games) like Diablo II, Phantasy Star Online, and Guild Wars- games where the worlds are static environments where only your team goes, like dungeons, and only the 'lobby' areas are massively populated- are also technically MMOs.

I think what you're getting at are what's called 'persistent state' MMOs. That is, where the game world is always running (and theoretically changing) whether you're online or not. 'COG' type worlds only exist when a team is using them. Unfortunately for you, you're still wrong, because TOR falls into the 'persistent state' category of MMO.

"But it's my OPINION! That means it can't be wrong!"

Yes, it can. Despite what teachers may tell you. If your opinion is that our sun is blue and our sky is cherry red, you are wrong.

Every MMO has 'seams', and while most games try their best to hide these from you, they are unavoidable- at least with the currently level of computing power and data transfer. In WoW's case the 'seams' are the hidden bits of loading that are constantly happening- and you do zone in WoW, when those 'entering/exiting [territory name]' messages pop up, that's you zoning. You may have noticed you get those on each world in TOR, that's because TOR's "world" is made up of a bunch of planets- which realistically you can't walk across, come on- which are several zones in size and get progressively bigger (at least so far as I've gotten). WoW's 'world' on the other hand is, IIRC, three continents on a primary planet, and one continent on the tattered remains of another planet. And unless Cata drastically changed things, you can't move between those areas without significant loading.

Even the game that coined the term 'MMO', Ultima Online, has seams. In that game even the zones were hidden from players. Players that found and exploited them. And further in it's life it gained the separate areas that are now so familiar. Of course they didn't have loading screens, because the [relatively] simple nature of the game allowed all that to happen in the background.

Oh, and the second big time MMO, EverQuest? Tons of loading screens and zoning. WoW is neither the only MMO around, nor was it the first.

Others have pointed out what world instancing is and that it's only for when the population of an area explodes (thus avoiding the MASSIVE lag of say, whatever major city is the current hot spot in WoW).

I'm starting to see a trend with people claiming that because they have a companion, this forces them to solo content. You need to understand that you don't have to have your companion out. If you'd rather group content and keep the difficulty up, dismiss your companion and invite some players to a group. Bioware is simply giving you the option. This gives solo players the option to solo content if they choose, but does NOT force you into doing so. You make that choice on your own.

And for the instanced zones, as I understand it, they go away after the first two worlds.

Edited by knosian

LOL there's more group content in this game than modern way by a longshot. Go to Balmorra and tell me you finished every quest alone OP. ROFL.

Who cares if there's some sharding? The worlds are massive yet you still see people running around all the time. GO to any WOW server right now and wander around the world. I bet you can count the number of players you run across on one hand.

As far as loading screens goes....it's a space game. Tell me how you're going to "run" from Korriban to Balmorra?

People have some strange definitions of MMOs. What part of massive, multiplayer, online were we having trouble with? A million or so players, upwards of a hundred easily in one area with no lag, trade across an entire server...

Nope, not seeing the problem here myself.

Sure, it's not a seamless world, but doing that with planets is a touch challenging, no? Even WoW has loading screens.

Perhaps you'd have felt better with The Old Republic: Korriban the MMO? Entirely set on one world...

I think what is killing the Hardcores is this game isn't race to level cap and then go full tilt into progression Raiding.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing...it's just different. I find it more than a bit silly when some of the members of large progression guilds get so worked up because SWTOR has a very viable end game for folks who don't Raid and makes Raiding so very accessible for anyone who want's to try.

Is TOR your typical MMO?

Nope

Does that make the game fail? Only to the Hardcores.....and really folks have been telling them that this isn't the game for them for quite some time now.

To put it in simple terms.

WOW

You could travel for miles and miles without any loading screens. Winterspring in the cold snowy north all the way south to Silithus, how long would it take to walk that one. Also you can walk into a huge City on your journey, all without a single loading screen. I think well over an hours walk.

This makes it MASSIVE imo.

I personally don't mind the space flight to different planets, I just hope the planets are huge and none-linear, so far they are small and very linear but am still only on the lowbie worlds :p

I do recall telling fanboys to go away.
You posted you opinion. Others are posting their opinions of your opinion. It's called a conversation. If you don't want people posting their opinions of your opinion, maybe put it on your own blog and disable comments. Edited by Dumnbunny

(DISCLAIMER): THIS IS MY OPINION, I AM ENTITLED TO FEED BACK, AS I AM A PAYING CUSTOMER. FANBOYS GO AWAY.

when I think of MMO I think of one giant seamless world, or at least a world with minimal seems. SW:TOR seems more like a co-op online game.

just to use an obvious comparison, in WOW I can run my toon from one end of the continent to the other with our a loading screen, and I can interact with all the people I find there in the chat. I do not have to switch servers to join my party as you some times have to do in SW:TOR.

And don't complain about lag, and other things, I have played wow recently and I rarely get any lag. Even in eve online were the entire game population is on the same server I rarely get lag, unless I'm in like a 600 ship battle.

I am just used to games like planet side, and wow and eve. I mean the original marketing line for mmo was that you played with every other player at the same time, you were all on the same server.

I think this game is massive in scale, there is a lot of worlds and areas, and this game is multilayer, but I d not think it is both at the same time. It should be labeled as a "massive co-op game" I think.

What is every one else think about this?

So if you dont like the game why are you willing to pay for it? Just dont play problem solved.

OP, I think it's just that you've formed your opinion based on a rather small sample of MMOs. A lot of the old MMOs I've played in the past have gone f2p. If only to broaden your understanding of MMOs, I would suggest you give a few of them a try. L2, CoH, AoC. Even FFXI has a free trial now though it isn't f2p.

Instances and zones or lack thereof are not what defines an MMO.

The first MMO I ever played was FFXI. There is a lot of zoning in that game and yet it was next to impossible to get anything done without a group. It started out very unfriendly to solo players.

WoW isn't seamless either, it just has bigger zones. It has the appearance of seamlessness because of that. But in WoW I've never grouped up with my Warrior. Not even once. I solo'd to lv70 in the three or four months that I played. I also got a number of alts into the 20's and made a Death Knight that I played for ten levels or so. That game is very solo friendly compared to my first MMO.

The only MMO I've played (aside from EVE) that has a seamless world is Lineage 2. You can run all over the place and never see a loading screen. You travel the full distance on all of the ships without hitting a load screen (unlike WoW).

City of Heroes has large fenced in zones. Though the zones seem small because of the travel powers that let you get around quickly. I think CoH was the first MMO that I played that extensively used instancing. The city itself is wide open. But all of the indoor missions are instanced. Since most of the missions are indoors it would be easy to get the feeling that the whole game is composed of instances. Yet there is still plenty to do in groups that doesn't take place in instances. That game is challenging to solo.

I am just used to games like planet side, and wow and eve. I mean the original marketing line for mmo was that you played with every other player at the same time, you were all on the same server.

Um, WoW has a good deal more than just one server and you most definitely don't play with every other player at the same time, on account of the playerbase being spread over more servers than I feel like counting. So... it's not an MMO, either? :confused: