[transfers] This bugs me

curtkram

Daniel E said, regarding legacies:

They’re your rewards, you earned them, we don’t want to prevent you from moving them wherever you like.

A lot of people, myself included, created alts on new servers so we could keep this game playable in a populated environment. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of us, enough that our gameplay experience should be considered relevant to the development team. There was a thread on the forums about transferring to fatman or a couple other servers that lead this initiative. We were the ones that gave Bioware populated servers. The servers Bioware focused on during free trial weekends are not well populated, and the attempts by Bioware so far to increase populations have not succeeded. I have high hopes for the transfers starting Tuesday, and I do think this is a step in the right direction. However for those of us who tried to help keep at least a couple servers populated, I ask Bioware to please clarify their position. Specifically:

1. Why did you abandon us?

2. When the development team sets priorities for updates and bug fixes, and when they set the direction for this game's future, why is our game play experience considered insignificant?

3. Why does the above quote from Daniel not apply to us?

I was unable to ask these questions in the Q&A because it closed. If the devs are unable to address these questions in the next Q&A, could Allison or Joveth or one of the other community team please act as conduit between the community and developers to address these questions? Honestly, I thought I was helping. I felt I sacrificed a fair bit of my game experience to do so. If the developer's perspective on this is different, please help me to understand.

Thanks.

Daniel E said, regarding legacies:

They’re your rewards, you earned them, we don’t want to prevent you from moving them wherever you like.

1. Why did you abandon us?

2. When the development team sets priorities for updates and bug fixes, and when they set the direction for this game's future, why is our game play experience considered insignificant?

3. Why does the above quote from Daniel not apply to us?

1. You abandoned the people you left behind on the old server :mad:

2. In what way have they shown this?

3. There will be paid transfers in the future for those of you who left your servers to re-roll.

A simple solution would be that if bioware transfers someones characters to a server they didnt reroll on, they should be given the chance to transfer characters to the destination server or the reroll server.

This is one solution I'd be happy about. I'd be happier if they allowed those on re-roll servers to transfer to the target servers. That way the re-roll servers won't be absolutely over-flooded.

Edited by psi_overtake

They answered your question here already.

Initially we considered allowing players to transfer to any server they wished, or to a variety of different servers. However, on a massive scale, this free-for-all approach causes potential problems. Players who are anxious to ensure they end up on a heavily populated server will naturally flock to what is perceived as the 'biggest' server, potentially over-populating that server. This eventually leads to the exact situation we're trying to move away from. Our aim is to maximize server population across the entire service and to enhance the gameplay experience for our players.

I agree with the OP. I have a Trooper on Fatman which I consider my main—however he's totally broke. I was hoping to move my other toons, all their cash, crew skills and legacy perks to Fatman asap so I can enjoy all the benefits that come with the game system Bioware designed. Since we can only play one character at a time I don't see why this will be a big deal—I'm certainly not going to play anyone accept for my Trooper on Fatman. Edited by bfrick

No one abandoned you. Stop being melodramatic.

If you created alts all over the place to reserve slots on high population servers, that's your own fault. Bioware isn't going to control where you make extra characters.

Chances are, if you have an alt on the fatman, it will have to stay there.

I did. And that's sad. I just stopped by my first server last night and there are still a few of the best people around. Still, with 48 people on the entire republic side the potential for the game is severely limited.

2. In what way have they shown this?

I have not seen anything from Bioware that addresses anything about legacies and characters across multiple servers at all. Also, I am asking for the developer's perspective on game development rather than player perspective. I already have a player perspective (mine). Kourage's comment with a quote from Bioware was helpful, but I don't think their quote is a complete answer to my question.

3. There will be paid transfers in the future for those of you who left your servers to re-roll.

It would have been nice for them to somehow address these concerns with this transfer process. I would like to why they chose not to. For me, what they may or may not do in the future is kind of irrelevant to what is happening in the next couple weeks.

Regarding their statement on why free transfers everywhere are not allowed, I appreciate that but I would like to know why they aren't doing anything at all for characters across multiple servers. My intent in moving to a higher population server wasn't to reserve a spot, it was to get pvp pops and groups to run content with. that's all. It doesn't necessarily have to be free transfers anywhere. I would like more understanding from the developer's perspective as to why this isn't being addressed.

I'm not asking how it's going to work. I read that part. The only thing they say about consolidating multiple server accounts is "that may not be possible." I'm asking "why," but I would specifically like to know from the developer's perspective rather than something someone just made up.

Thanks again, and I appreciate your comments.

Aha! My thread got locked and I was told to post it in an existing one on the topic. I have copy pasted it below:-

Today , 01:30 PM | #1

I have 1,728 toons that is 8 on every existing server, they are all called Eric or versions thereof. How on earth am I going to be able to merge them all together? Could I have 1,720 extra account slots please BW.

Thanking you in advance for your help in my perilous predicament.

p.s And they all want to keep their names too!

signed

The Eric Legacy

That is not constructive Lurchy. This thread has nothing to do with extra character slots. Renaming is also not a part of this thread. If you can contribute to the discussion helpfully, please do. If you spam crap, you're probably going to be treated like someone who spams crap.

This is exactly right, you jumped ship and further exacerbated the population problem on your orginal server. Yes, I get that you were thinking about yourself and your ability to group, raid, pvp. You have directly benefited from your reroll and fatman is busting at the seams. WHY should this self serving conduct qualify you for a free transfer to / from Fatman (or one of the other 3-5 high pop server).

To me it was obvious over a month ago that no transfers would be warrented or allowed to Fatman or the like. At some point you'll be able to pay to consolidate your toons if you wish. For now, you made your bed (and have no doubt enjoyed the high pouplation) now lay in it.

Edited by Varder
Clarity

Regarding their statement on why free transfers everywhere are not allowed, I appreciate that but I would like to know why they aren't doing anything at all for characters across multiple servers. My intent in moving to a higher population server wasn't to reserve a spot, it was to get pvp pops and groups to run content with. that's all. It doesn't necessarily have to be free transfers anywhere. I would like more understanding from the developer's perspective as to why this isn't being addressed.

I'm not asking how it's going to work. I read that part. The only thing they say about consolidating multiple server accounts is "that may not be possible." I'm asking "why," but I would specifically like to know from the developer's perspective rather than something someone just made up.

Thanks again, and I appreciate your comments.

I really hope it does get addressed in some way. I don't believe it's completely either party's fault for how things turned out the way it did, but it's definitely a sizable enough portion that it should be addressed.

I'm sorry I came off as harsh in my reply. I'm glad that you're not just a mad QQer that I've seen so much of lately. I'm afraid I only know the answer to this part:

I have not seen anything from Bioware that addresses anything about legacies and characters across multiple servers at all.

In a Darth Hater interview posted yesterday, they said that it would be a great technical challenge for something like that to happen:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/20634-e3-2012-darth-hater-interview-with-daniel-erickson

This is exactly right, you jumped ship and further exacerbated the population problem on your orginal server. Yes, I get that you were thinking about your self and your ability to group, raid, pvp. You have directly benefited for your reroll and fatman is busting at the seams. WHY should this self serving conduct qualify you for a free transfer to / from Fatman (or one of the other 3-5 high pop server).

To me it was obvious over a month ago that no transfers would be warrented or allowed to Fatman or the like. At some point you'll be able to pay to consolidate your toons if you wish. For now, you made your bed (and have no doubt enjoyed the high pouplation) now lay it.

First of all, what I would like to get from this post is specifically a better understanding of the developer's perspective on not addressing accounts split across multiple servers. In this post I am not advocating any specific solution, and I did not ask to combine my characters on the fatman. Maybe there is some other solution, and their current plan of creating new high population servers should open at least some other opportunity.

Second, I take issue with your "self-serving" comment. I am paying for a service and I'm paying for entertainment. Anyone that wanted to go with me to the servers I transferred to were welcome to, and I discussed my decision with those I had regular contact with before I left. On top of that, when I transferred from my second server to the fatman, that transfer was initiated by my guild leader and most of the guild went with me.

Third, I did not exacerbate the population problem. I helped to fix it by joining the other refugees of dead servers onto one single populated server, so instead of nothing but dead servers at least Bioware had a couple active ones.

It sounds to me like you think I should be punished for my self-serving acts by losing content I worked for. If this is the developers opinion, and the reason they are not allowing any sort of character consolidation, I would appreciate if one of them or one of the community managers would tell us.

You arent losing content you earned. It remains there for you to use, it is even on a highly populated server. They are solving the problem of low pop servers, not server consolidation. Now I would like to see legacy unlocks be changed to cross server, so I can make a chiss jedi on my pub server. I dont expect to see it but it would be nice.

First of all, what I would like to get from this post is specifically a better understanding of the developer's perspective on not addressing accounts split across multiple servers. In this post I am not advocating any specific solution, and I did not ask to combine my characters on the fatman. Maybe there is some other solution, and their current plan of creating new high population servers should open at least some other opportunity.

Second, I take issue with your "self-serving" comment. I am paying for a service and I'm paying for entertainment. Anyone that wanted to go with me to the servers I transferred to were welcome to, and I discussed my decision with those I had regular contact with before I left. On top of that, when I transferred from my second server to the fatman, that transfer was initiated by my guild leader and most of the guild went with me.

Third, I did not exacerbate the population problem. I helped to fix it by joining the other refugees of dead servers onto one single populated server, so instead of nothing but dead servers at least Bioware had a couple active ones.

It sounds to me like you think I should be punished for my self-serving acts by losing content I worked for. If this is the developers opinion, and the reason they are not allowing any sort of character consolidation, I would appreciate if one of them or one of the community managers would tell us.

You've been given the clarification. They are not going to allow transfers (at this time) to servers that are already busting at the seams. Not for free, and not right away. You appear to be trying to "sugar-coat" your request by trying to deny that you are after free transfers to the Fatman because you rerolled there when it is apparent to me that this is exactly what you are after.

Feel free to dissect my reply and try and hide your true intentions with a wordy, lengthy retort. But the explanation has been given, in this thread, using a direct Bioware quote. I'm not sure how much more clarification you really need.

Since I read the first details about the free transfers, I knew this kind of thread was coming, I knew it.

Abandon? Sacrifice? Oh please... seriously?

The moment I rerolled on Jedi Covenant a month ago, I knew right away that my new server wouldn't probably be a destination server for the free transfers. I knew that if I wanted to reunite my old character on Mind Trick with my new ones on Jedi Covenant, I will probably have to either:

1. wait for the population cap increase and hope that I'll be able to transfer freely from Mind Trick to Jedi Covenant

OR

2. pay to reunite my old character (on Mind Trick) with my new ones (on Jedi Covenant).

Of course I'd prefer to reunite them as soon as June 12th 2012! Of course I'd like it to be totally free! But the thing is we don't know how exactly the whole transfer process will actually work. No, that first official article about the free transfers doesn't have all the details, it still lacks some.

This is exactly right, you jumped ship and further exacerbated the population problem on your orginal server. Yes, I get that you were thinking about yourself and your ability to group, raid, pvp. You have directly benefited from your reroll and fatman is busting at the seams. WHY should this self serving conduct qualify you for a free transfer to / from Fatman (or one of the other 3-5 high pop server).

To me it was obvious over a month ago that no transfers would be warrented or allowed to Fatman or the like. At some point you'll be able to pay to consolidate your toons if you wish. For now, you made your bed (and have no doubt enjoyed the high pouplation) now lay in it.

Which is exactly what fanbois and devs alike kept telling peoplt to do "reroll" reroll to another server etc etc. Well thats backfired and people are getting punished. I love Bioware's solution as it gives me the final nail in the coffin to my account to shut it down. The transfer solution is bullcrap.

Which is exactly what fanbois and devs alike kept telling peoplt to do "reroll" reroll to another server etc etc. Well thats backfired and people are getting punished. I love Bioware's solution as it gives me the final nail in the coffin to my account to shut it down. The transfer solution is bullcrap.

It's alright, I'll manage. I'll just not play my old characters if that's the way it has to be. I'm sure they'll be an option to pay for a transfer to The Fatman within the next 3 months. I'm not sure I'll opt to pay for it though. I abandoned many high level raid geared characters in World of Warcraft. I abandoned the entire game actually. Same with Age of Conan.

Edited by Kourage

Alright, have fun in other games. Like you wrote, see you in 2-3 years (maybe).

Well, this is the free transfers. Not exaclty a pamper the customer type deal but more of a serious logistics nightmare that has to be done to help out the most serious issue the game is facing now. I imagine the paid one soon afterwards will be the one that gives the customer the most choices.