The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Gotta Ask

Menthro

No there's still a couple I see in WZ's that are shield spec.

But they have full aug WH gear so they are sitting around 22k base hps. and run with a pocket healer.

If the changes they announce goes live in 1.3, I will be surprised if any VG will have points in the shield tree past the Aim talents. It's going to be a all out assault party.

I'm full Shield, and 1.3 is going to make me even better at my job. When I'm guarding a good healer (one who works with me), it takes a good 3 or 4 guys to take us down. Tanks are a highly underrated group support role. With 1.3, I'll also be able to apply pressure to the entire enemy team at once, making me even better at support.

Tanks rule! Don't let the DPS talk you out of it.

I'm full Shield, and 1.3 is going to make me even better at my job. When I'm guarding a good healer (one who works with me), it takes a good 3 or 4 guys to take us down. Tanks are a highly underrated group support role. With 1.3, I'll also be able to apply pressure to the entire enemy team at once, making me even better at support.

Tanks rule! Don't let the DPS talk you out of it.

I can burn your healer down then kill you and there's not much you're going to be able to do about it. Well, you could, if you would only respec. Then you would be like me, only with a pocket healer that you can better protect.

Edited by Ossos

I'll also be able to apply pressure to the entire enemy team at once,

No you won't. Well against bad and ungeared teams maybe if you're geared to the teeth. Against good healers your splash damage and moderate aoe will just pad your damage numbers and their heal numbers. Which nothing against that. A couple free surges will be nice on a door in voidstar or bunker in Novare. But pressure is a bit of a stretch. It'll be awesome in pve though.

The OP forgot that he's taking another significant damage nerf to Stock Strike.

So to recap: The healer won't be able to get a heal off, the splash damage and direct damage coming from the Shield Tech can easily be ignored for the 15 seconds it's going to take to kill the healer (Healer is going to turtle only he/she's not going to be able to get a heal off...period); when the healer is down, the Shield Tech will have taken at a minimum 7K damage + whatever else.

Then and ONLY then will the Shield Tech realize that "HOLY CRAP!! MY SHIELD AND ARMOR DO NOTHING FOR ME!!!!" -Dead-

Someone has been facing baddies. Sorry man, but being able to kill other players QUICKLY does count as damage mitigation. :D

So I guess i'm not, altho there does seem to be alot of hate against people running shield spec. And as to the dps burning down the healer, then you are playing against a tank that doesn't know what a taunt is. Or blows both their taunts at one time. Edited by Menthro

I can burn your healer down then kill you and there's not much you're going to be able to do about it. Well, you could, if you would only respec. Then you would be like me, only with a pocket healer that you can better protect.

Let's say you hit my healer with an attack that would do 1,000 damage. My healer has 25% armor (good average for a non-tank), so the attack would hit for 750 damage. Now, let's throw a tank into the mix:

• I lower the damage to 960 (static field), then to 672 (taunt).
  • When that attack hits, it's split 50/50 between the the healer and me.
  • The healer takes 336. Their armor (with the 5% from guard) lowers that to 235 damage.
  • I take 336. My armor (currently 53%, we'll say 50% for math) lowers that to 168 damage.

So, rather than the healer taking 750 damage like they would have, they only take 235 damage. That's 69% less damage than they'd normally take (Elemental/internal damage is only reduced by 68%). This isn't accounting for the accuracy debuff from Smoke Grenade, because that affects different classes to different extents. Also, I'm constantly pulling, rooting, and stunning you guys, further hurting your ability to attack my healer. You can't "burn down" my healer if you're rooted out of LoS.

You can't just walk up to a healer who's being properly protected and burn them down. If that's been your experience against tanks, then you haven't been dealing with good tanks.

• I lower the damage to 960 (static field), then to 672 (taunt).
  • When that attack hits, it's split 50/50 between the the healer and me.
  • The healer takes 336. Their armor (with the 5% from guard) lowers that to 235 damage.
  • I take 336. My armor (currently 53%, we'll say 50% for math) lowers that to 168 damage.

Assault and Tactics can taunt too, just saying. Not saying SS is worthless, but I found myself unable to do a whole lot unless I had a pocket healer (and if you do, more power to you). I queue solo 100% of the time, so as much as I liked the play style, SS just wasn't for me anymore. I switched to Assault and love my burst potential (even though I am pretty darn squishy now).

Assault and Tactics can taunt too, just saying. Not saying SS is worthless, but I found myself unable to do a whole lot unless I had a pocket healer (and if you do, more power to you). I queue solo 100% of the time, so as much as I liked the play style, SS just wasn't for me anymore. I switched to Assault and love my burst potential (even though I am pretty darn squishy now).

Exactly, I just really really enjoy the survivability I can achieve with my vanguard. I can laugh off pretty much anyone attacking me.....except operatives....for some reason and operative can give me a real run for my money.

Exactly, I just really really enjoy the survivability I can achieve with my vanguard. I can laugh off pretty much anyone attacking me.....except operatives....for some reason and operative can give me a real run for my money.

1v1 I felt pretty good, like I was gonna outlast them, but it really limited you to defending. Your attacking ability is pretty limited, especially if you're trying to solo cap a node before reinforcements arrive.

You sound like someone I routinely /laugh at in warzones w/ my PT tank. You wouldn't burn down any healer I was guarding, not even if you brought a few friends along just for giggles.

lol so untrue. a properly geared tank with a pocket healer no less, is not an easy task to take down. between guarding and taunts what exactly do you expect to get done?

Edited by Huggsnotdruggs

playing a tank vanguard is a burden on the team, you can theorycraft all you want, but when i rock up on my assault vanguard, your healer is gonna go down, and if he somehow survives my burst, you will be on near death HP and your healer will be locked down from healing. Your tank mitigation doesnt count for much at all. ive proven this time and time again on my server to the vanguard pvp population, most of them now are changing over to dps specs. I actually get a kick out of watching the tanks die from guarding damage, infact i might make a video of it just to show you guys how fruitless it is. Having said all of this, its still your character and your welcome to play it the way you want.

playing a tank vanguard is a burden on the team, you can theorycraft all you want, but when i rock up on my assault vanguard, your healer is gonna go down, and if he somehow survives my burst, you will be on near death HP and your healer will be locked down from healing. Your tank mitigation doesnt count for much at all. ive proven this time and time again on my server to the vanguard pvp population, most of them now are changing over to dps specs. I actually get a kick out of watching the tanks die from guarding damage, infact i might make a video of it just to show you guys how fruitless it is. Having said all of this, its still your character and your welcome to play it the way you want.

This only happens to bad + under geared healers. When I go full assault there are healers on my server that I have trouble killing solo because they play well and are full War Hero. I wouldn't be able to kill them if they had a tank taunting me and a guard up. I'm usually the highest dps in the warzone when I go full assault. My personal best was over 900K in an Alderaan match. Plenty of bad healers out there and tanks that don't use dps gear. If the tank has dps gear on they can easily kill you as full dps vanguards are extremely squishy.

I do, but only because I like the utility of having a Charge and an immobilize attached to my harpoon for peeling. However shield spec is completely sub-par overall.

It's a mistake in thinking your "tank stats" do anything meaningful in PvP where the majority of the attacks ignore armor, shield chance, etc. What makes tanks "tanky" are their defensive cooldowns, most of which are shared by every spec of the AC. This is why even as a "tank" spec'd jugg, vanguard or sin you should be wearing DPS gear. Period. Guard, most of the time, serves to do two things against a competent pre-made on voice chat with focus fire capabilities. Fail to protect the healer and ensures the "tank" is already at 50% hp once the healer dies.

It's just far better to run as a DPS that can burst people down and simply peel and use taunts.