Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

From here.

Characters, not players. :rolleyes:

First, I never wrote "players". The only way of reading that is that millions of characters have been created. This includes:

*Characters made by people who un-subbed and have no intentions of coming back.

*Characters on somewhat healthy servers where players have no intentions of moving them even if it was an option.

*All the low level characters "re-rollers" gave up on and wouldnt move anyway.

Add to all this that the top 20 destination, or sooon to be destination, servers probably make up or 50 % of the population. So how many characters would in reality be moved?

Want more reasons? how about the fact that even if every character ever made would be moved it wouldnt take place on the same day or even same week. How many have they moved so far? I wouldnt be surprised if it was less than 5000.

Edited by MidichIorian

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I never wrote "players". The only way of reading that is that millions of characters have been created. This includes:

*Characters on somewhat healthy servers where players have no intentions of moving them even if it was an option.

Add to all this that the top 20 destination, or sooon to be destination, servers probably make up or 50 % of the population. So how many characters would in reality be moved?

Want more reasons? how about the fact that even if every character ever made would be moved it wouldnt take place on the same day or even same week. How many have they moved so far? I wouldnt be surprised if it was less than 5000.

Calm down, not saying you did, just clarifying. I would be surprised if they moved less than 5000 characters today. My server was a destination server, and already it's almost doubled by itself, and people aren't even home from work yet, meaning the majority haven't even come over from Kath Hound yet.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Calm down, not saying you did, just clarifying. I would be surprised if they moved less than 5000 characters today. My server was a destination server, and already it's almost doubled by itself, and people aren't even home from work yet, meaning the majority haven't even come over from Kath Hound yet.

2+2=4 yeah it doubled :rolleyes:

lol another bioware **** up. Way to go.

Oh, don't blame the nitwits who *kept playing* after initiating a transfer! Sure, Bioware should have covered for every completely stupid thing the players could dream of doing, but we would not have this issue if not for .... grrrr. Do people *ever* take responsibility for their own actions? It's always someone else's fault.

Very glad they only did 10 servers.

If they had done 226 servers with a bug present it might have been an issue.

NOOOO, think how much people could have QQd if Bioware listend to their pouting and opened up transfers on every server at once!

This is too small of a failure to make them truly happy, but they'll try n blow it up ;)

Oh, don't blame the nitwits who *kept playing* after initiating a transfer! Sure, Bioware should have covered for every completely stupid thing the players could dream of doing, but we would not have this issue if not for .... grrrr. Do people *ever* take responsibility for their own actions? It's always someone else's fault.

Nope, people think they should be able to do everything they can to break a game without being able to.

We waited this long because they automated the process, it's not manual anymore. So, no "man-hours" involved, except to throttle the software, which is opened in the "phase" you speak of.

That my Firend its wath they tell you. I rly Doubt in case I bet that this is a manual process, its the only explanation that I can find , wy simply...wy are they tranfering only from dead servers to dead servers?

You can check the destination servers and I bet once more than in one week from now they will be Still ligth!

Regards,

Calm down, not saying you did, just clarifying. I would be surprised if they moved less than 5000 characters today. My server was a destination server, and already it's almost doubled by itself, and people aren't even home from work yet.
Just playing devil's advocate there since I'm not even affected by it.

I do think that a lot of the complaints, and in my opinion many times valid complaints, could have been avoided if they had made it clear what the step by step process really meant. I believe that many, if not most, players interpreted it as "ok I will initially not be able to pick the server I want but I will atleast be able to to transfer" and that transfers actually became available today. Now we know that while the setp by step process started today it didnt actually mean that people would be able to transfer today. Instead it's a server by server step by step process, one that at this pace can take weeks, and where people won't even know when they can move unless they F5 the site. Those people will look at how other games constantly have transfers available or games where all data has been moved in hours and wonder why BW can't do that.

Just playing devil's advocate there since I'm not even affected by it.

I do think that a lot of the complaints, and in my opinion many times valid complaints, could have been avoided if they had made it clear what the step by step process really meant. I believe that many, if not most, players interpreted it as "ok I will initially not be able to pick the server I want but I will atleast be able to to transfer" and that transfers actually became available today. Now we know that while the setp by step process started today it didnt actually mean that people would be able to transfer today. Instead it's a server by server step by step process, one that at this pace can take weeks, and where people won't even know when they can move unless they F5 the site. Those people will look at how other games constantly have transfers available or games where all data has been moved in hours and wonder why BW can't do that.

Well, not really, though. IN the blog they posted last week, it's plain to see that everything before the subheading "The Next Step" is all part of the first free phase.

During that phase, it plainly states:

This process will be gradual and staged over time.

It also states:

We're sure many of you are interested to learn which servers are eligible for outgoing transfers and which servers are eligible to receive transfers. However, because the process will be gradual, we cannot provide that information in advance. Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process.

The way they're doing it now is exactly the impression I got from the blog.

I agree with the guy earlier...a sub translates to 50 cents a day...thats the equivilent of stopping by the arcade (yes i am dating myself) and playing a couple games of pac-man...except we get to play all day and night if we want...thats not bad at all. Yes we are customers...yes we have a say...but my lord, sometimes you gotta let the chips fall where they may. None of us are being pillaged.

That my Firend its wath they tell you. I rly Doubt in case I bet that this is a manual process, its the only explanation that I can find , wy simply...wy are they tranfering only from dead servers to dead servers?

You can check the destination servers and I bet once more than in one week from now they will be Still ligth!

Regards,

If I'm translating this correct, you're saying that today's destination servers are dead servers? Really? The Fatman is a dead server, eh? Jedi Covenant?

I don't know what to say... the evidence that is right in front of our faces show completely the opposite. :confused:

Lets see, so far the complaints have been that the xfers have stopped for a bit until a patch due to silly players staying logged in when there chars are being xfered. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that if your moving a char you shouldnt be logged into it.

What was the other main one, ow yes transfers to dead servers. so fatman and red eclipse are now aparently dead servers, just gotta love the logic in the complaints. Its obvious that the haters will hate no matter what and they are here simply to hate and provoke bad feelings on the forums and not much else.

Edited by Shingara

There are millions of characters that need to be moved. You forget how alt friendly this game is. I have 8 characters myself that need to be transferred. And that's only from 1 server that I use. :rolleyes:

Lets see, so far the complaints have been that the xfers have stopped for a bit until a patch due to silly players staying logged in when there chars are being xfered. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that if your moving a char you shouldnt be logged into it.

From a coder/developer POV, it's a very basic mistake as well. It's like reading a volatile variable real time while the processor is writing to it. The data you read will be pretty random and probably stale leading to data corruption since the processor would have probably updated the variable by the time you read it. So, you lock, read-modify-write and unlock.

In layman's terms--

It's the coders' fault, not the customer's. Expecting your customer to be smart is one of the biggest mistake a coder can make.

What was the other main one, ow yes transfers to dead servers. so fatman and red eclipse are now aparently dead servers, just gotta love the logic in the complaints. Its obvious that the haters will hate no matter what and they are here simply to hate and provoke bad feelings on the forums and not much else.

If it was really a problem then this would be the time to do emergency maint at 5 pm EST. I believe most players are waiting for transfers so instead of having a 2 hour downtime they actually have a 12 hour downtime.

I dont think anyone is really in prime time right now. EU is at 10pm at the earliest and the east is at 5 pm. Lets not make this an important issue to help most of the players get playing with people again lets just do it later when its convienent for us to do it.

From a coder/developer POV, it's a very basic mistake as well. It's like reading a volatile variable real time while the processor is writing to it. The data you read will be pretty random and probably stale leading to data corruption since the processor would have probably updated the variable by the time you read it. So, you lock, read-modify-write and unlock.

In layman's terms--

It's the coders' fault, not the customer's. Expecting your customer to be smart is one of the biggest mistake a coder can make.

There is the definition of smart and there is the brains to know to breath in and out to stay alive. Trying to play on a char that you have selected to be xfered to another server falls under the lack of the later.

If it was really a problem then this would be the time to do emergency maint at 5 pm EST. I believe most players are waiting for transfers so instead of having a 2 hour downtime they actually have a 12 hour downtime.

I dont think anyone is really in prime time right now. EU is at 10pm at the earliest and the east is at 5 pm. Lets not make this an important issue to help most of the players get playing with people again lets just do it later when its convienent for us to do it.

As to this, If bioware could write code that fast the game would be 10 times bigger then it is. First they have to see the problem, then they have to create the fix for the problem then they can shut the servers down and impliment the fix.

There is the definition of smart and there is the brains to know to breath in and out to stay alive. Trying to play on a char that you have selected to be xfered to another server falls under the lack of the later.

Actually from what I read on the transfer page when you transfer a character that character is automatically logged out and unavailble for play. There should be no way for some one to play a character once they select it for transfer until it is actually transferred.

There are procedures to follow and so it stands to reason if someone was able to log on in after selecting to transfer than a procedure was not followed.

EDIT: And I'm not transferring.

What happens during the character transfer process? How long does it take?

The Character Transfer Service will be made available gradually, starting with a small number of origin servers and adding more until all servers eligible for transfer are made available in the service. Eligible servers will be listed as they become available for transfers at http://www.swtor.com/transfer. This is to prevent potential server load issues. As a result, you may have to wait a short period before you can begin your character transfer.

After you confirm your character transfer request, it can take up to three hours for your requested characters to be transferred. During this period you will be unable to login to any of the characters that are being transferred, or any other character on that origin server. If you are playing one of these characters when you confirm your transfer, you will be logged off from that character and server until the transfer is complete.

You will be notified via email (to the email address registered on your game account) on the same day that your character transfer requests have been processed. The character transfer page will also be updated at that time. To confirm your transfer requests were successful, log into Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and select your new destination server on the Server Select screen. You should see your characters available to play on your new server. If you do not see any of your characters on your destination servers more than three hours after you have confirmed your character transfer request, please contact Customer Service.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Actually from what I read on the transfer page when you transfer a character that character is autmatically logged out and unavailble for play. There should be no way for some one to play a character once they select it for transfer until it is actually transferred.

Which is obviously the problem, thus rare.

Greetings folks!

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

•  
  • Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.

• Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.

• Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.

• Report, Don't Respond - Utilize the Report Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.

• Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

We wish to keep the forums and threads on-topic to discussion and keep conversation constructive. Please do not make remarks towards other individuals which could be considered rude or offensive and derail discussion off-topic.

Thank you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.