DPS Sins vs Snipers: Wat Do?

InariOkami

I've been running a 0/13/28 "Arika" hybrid and absolutely doing great with it. I can drop priority targets and 1v1 every class but one: snipers. Now I understand that snipers are a counter to melee dps, but it seems like there's just nothing I can do against a good sniper. There's a sniper in my guild who is amazing and I'd like to say we're about equal in skill, and he usually goes for me the second he sees me on one of his teammates. I've tried to kill him multiple times but failed due to the sheer amount of CC that snipers can put out against melee dps. Usually I just give up and LOS him or force cloak away, but I was wondering what my fellow dps assassins do against snipers. Edited by InariOkami

Is this supposed to be a joke? Dude.. Common sense dictates that you can easily LoS the sniper and put dots on him, which madness is so good at. Sniper cannot do crap against dots. You dont even need to fight him in melee range.

Its largely dependent on what spec the sniper is. You can tell by what he's using (I skipped engineering and hybrid builds - less prevalent in my experience).

If you see poisons and cull, he's lethality. In this case you should try to force shroud right after he applies his 2 poison dots to you (it will remove them and negate the massive damage of cull). If you can't, the first cull will probably almost kill you.

If you see more snipes, ambushes, and series of shots, try to pop your defense boost, since he's (probably) marksman and is using mainly ranged attacks. The big hitter is ambush so if possible cc him during it, or stealth.

Either way try to cc him or sneak up on him, and LOS as said above.

Is this supposed to be a joke? Dude.. Common sense dictates that you can easily LoS the sniper and put dots on him, which madness is so good at. Sniper cannot do crap against dots. You dont even need to fight him in melee range.

My spec is a deception, madness hybrid that plays like deception. I don't run lightning charge or use dots. Refer to http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=455762 for specifics. To be more specific, I was more asking how deception assassins deal with it.

No easy tactics for you man. You have trouble because of your spec. But in 1 vs 1 one situation you still can try to vanish on his first cast after knock back or stun and do things like this, pop cooldons and try burst hard (you have death field with 30m range). But he will hitt you pretty hard cause you are not a tank.

Fighting Sniper really has no strategy because they're pretty much immune to almost every CC that you can use on them so it's literally just a DPS vs DPS fight, and if their DPS beats yours, you lose.

If you have your 10m moves still up, stay around ~7m away from him. This should put you far enough away from his knockback at point blank range, but not so far away that an ambush puts you out of 10m (at that point he will obviously root you). If you have to melee him, just got to hope he can't knock you back. Usually the point blank KB is pretty predictable (it'll be the first move they use once you're in melee range) so perhaps you can Force Shroud through it. Not having Disjunction severely limits your options against his roots. Remember that in a pinch you can pop Recklessness and do a Force Lightning back when you get rooted outside of 10m, so at least it's not just a one way beatdown. Heck, he might even be used to the fact that all Assassins are Darkness and forget that your Force Lightning is actually interruptible.

Why are people running 0/13/28... what?

Snipers are one of the easiest for me to kill, and I'm 2/8/31 madness. When you open on him, don't waste death field right away; creeping terror, discharge, you'll usually get knocked back at this point and they usually activate evasion to wipe off the dots, either hit deflection or cloak, get up behind him, shock and hit him a couple times and raze should proc, death field, creeping terror and raze crushing darkness- at this point you should be able to assassinate. Don't waste recklessness on lightning, use it on shock and raze proc'd crushing darkness (the initial damage hits hard with recklessness).

They're not always immune to CC, watch for the entrench buff and stun him once it wears off.

That being said, marksman spec snipers (and mirror spec gunslingers) are a pain in the butt to deal with, thankfully there are more engy/lethality snipers than MM's.

Edited by Sookster

Why are people running 0/13/28... what?

Snipers are one of the easiest for me to kill, and I'm 2/8/31 madness. When you open on him, don't waste death field right away; creeping terror, discharge, you'll usually get knocked back at this point and they usually activate evasion to wipe off the dots, either hit deflection or cloak, get up behind him, shock and hit him a couple times and raze should proc, death field, creeping terror and raze crushing darkness- at this point you should be able to assassinate. Don't waste recklessness on lightning, use it on shock and raze proc'd crushing darkness (the initial damage hits hard with recklessness).

They're not always immune to CC, watch for the entrench buff and stun him once it wears off.

That being said, marksman spec snipers (and mirror spec gunslingers) are a pain in the butt to deal with, thankfully there are more engy/lethality snipers than MM's.

Dude, stop spreading lies. Evasion has nothing to do with dots. It is a 3 sec buff that makes sniper immune to melee and ranged attacks. Force and tech are working normally.

Assassins should never loose to snipers in 1vs1 scenarios. If is happens to you, its a l2p issue.

I've been running a 0/13/28 "Arika" hybrid and absolutely doing great with it. I can drop priority targets and 1v1 every class but one: snipers. Now I understand that snipers are a counter to melee dps, but it seems like there's just nothing I can do against a good sniper. There's a sniper in my guild who is amazing and I'd like to say we're about equal in skill, and he usually goes for me the second he sees me on one of his teammates. I've tried to kill him multiple times but failed due to the sheer amount of CC that snipers can put out against melee dps. Usually I just give up and LOS him or force cloak away, but I was wondering what my fellow dps assassins do against snipers.

I would probably give you the best input here since I arguably know how to play the best with that spec.

You need to Shroud their knockback or pin. It's tech damage, so it will get you out of it.

Snipers are actually VERY easy as 13/28 because you have enough on-demand burst without setup, so you need to utilize that.

Basically, start the fight by popping your relics+power etc with Death-Field, Discharge and Shock. Whilst you're doing this, have Shroud up so you are immune to their CC. After that's up, you have two options- A - Force Cloak and open with Spike and then Force Stun (Recommended) or B- Force Stun them and have fun Mauling/Thrashing etc etc. The point is COMPLETE lockdown. You don't even want to take as much as a hit. Start the fight with deflection if you must. Don't give your opponent a chance to react.

PS: Don't forget you have an insta whirlwind.

Edited by Xinika

Dude, stop spreading lies. Evasion has nothing to do with dots. It is a 3 sec buff that makes sniper immune to melee and ranged attacks. Force and tech are working normally.

Assassins should never loose to snipers in 1vs1 scenarios. If is happens to you, its a l2p issue.

Nevermind, I had operative's evasion in mind, which DOES remove dots that can't be cleansed by the operative.

Edited by Sookster

Nevermind, I had operative's evasion in mind, which DOES remove dots that can't be cleansed by the operative.

Pretty sure evasion just gets rid of movement impairing debuffs for an Operative.

But the only dots an Op cannot remove are Force-based and nobody cares about crushing darkness or affiliction very much. Stuff like Wither/Force Crush/Creeping Terror are all movement impairing effects, so evasion will get rid of those.