PvE DPS: Which Augment Do You Use?

froops

I'm getting to the point where I'm getting augments on my end game gear and I'm not sure what the best augment is to use to maximise my PvE DPS. I am spec'd into a deep vengeance spec. 4/33/4

Right now I'm using Advanced Overkill Enhancement 22s (+12 endurance, +18 power) however I have heard some people say that the alternative stat augment, Advanced Might Enhancement 22 (+18 strength, +12 endurance), is better.

What do you guys use and what is the reasoning behind it?

I'm getting to the point where I'm getting augments on my end game gear and I'm not sure what the best augment is to use to maximise my PvE DPS. I am spec'd into a deep vengeance spec. 4/33/4

Right now I'm using Advanced Overkill Enhancement 22s (+12 endurance, +18 power) however I have heard some people say that the alternative stat augment, Advanced Might Enhancement 22 (+18 strength, +12 endurance), is better.

What do you guys use and what is the reasoning behind it?

EDIT see Kaedis' post on this forum: here

Edited by JamieM

Except that, the post above is mostly wrong.

All depends on what your crit and surge amounts are. Once you hit about 30-35% CR and 70-75% crit damage unbuffed you probably want to stop stacking str

Once you hit 75% crit multiplier from surge, you certainly don't want to stop stacking strength. On the contrary, this high crit damage makes the crit chance gained from strength only more valuable.

As for how much crit chance you have gained from crit rating, this is something you do want to take into consideration, when evaluating how much crit chance you want from strength

as strength increases all of these things

If you're trying to imply that strength increases surge, then you are completely wrong.

Strength does not increase anything that even remotely resembles the crit multiplier from surge.

Strength increases bonus damage and crit chance.

Also note that strength increases crit chance through a very different formula than critical rating and crit chance from strength does not factor in diminishing returns the same way as crit rating

http://www.jedilace.com/2012/02/03/calculating-critical-hit-chance/

(including power)

Even saying strength increases power is wrong.

Strength increases bonus damage and power also increases bonus damage, but different amounts (power adds more) so strength does not increase power. They are not the same thing.

but then you hit diminishing returns,

Saying hit diminishing returns can also be easily misunderstood. Stats that have diminishing returns do not suddenly start having diminishing at certain point. They always have diminishing which they get gradually more the higher that stat gets. Soft caps are rather points where the diminishing is so high, the stat is no longer worth trying to increase.

So basically stacking strength is the best thing until you hit the numbers i mention above, then switch to stacking power to avoid DR.

Except that reaching the mentioned numbers does not affect strength in the ways you implied, so not really.

this is a pretty well debated area - if you look through the mara forums you'll see that peeps have argued about this quite a lot.

It's only debated because half the people have no idea what their stats do.

To put it more simply

Strength gives bonus damage and crit chance while power gives only bonus damage, but bonus damage from power is slightly more than that of strength.

like this

1 power = 0.23 bonus damage

1 strength = 0.20 bonus damage

(note that in groups with inquisitor you get additional 5% from inquisitor's buff, so with that consider it as if it was 0.21 and in case of juggernaut certain skill trees have another 6% so with both that and inquisitor's buff you always have +11% so think of it as if it was 0.222, so it gets a bit closer to what you get from power)

The formulas to calculate how much crit chance you get here

http://www.jedilace.com/2012/02/03/calculating-critical-hit-chance/

The only question is do you want that crit chance rather than the slightly more bonus damage.

For juggernaut strength can have higher value than for marauder due to the 6% increase from dreadnaught

http://www.torhead.com/ability/3yTuY9q/dreadnaught