PPA Proc

StarHuntr

So, does anyone know when/if Bioware is going to fix PPA proccing even when RS isn't on cooldown?

I dont think there was ever a mention of addressing that. Just be glad you can fire an RS every 6sec. Pyro is just fine the way it is right now.

I dont think there was ever a mention of addressing that. Just be glad you can fire an RS every 6sec. Pyro is just fine the way it is right now.

I never said anything was wrong with Pyro. I just think that bugs (if this IS a bug) should be fixed. But when PPA procs when RS Is not on cooldown you cant chain back to back RS. It just irritates me.

Heck, this may even be how Bioware intended it to be. I don't know.

What if it doesn't proc for 15-20 secs. That has happened quite a bit, and really kills the dps sustainability then.

If it hasnt proced for 15-20sec, then you're using the wrong cylinder lol. It's IMPOSSIBLE for a Pyro not to proc RS.

If it hasnt proced for 15-20sec, then you're using the wrong cylinder lol. It's IMPOSSIBLE for a Pyro not to proc RS.

Statistically, its possible to never have it procced. The chance for it to happen is extremly low but still there is one.

Statistically, its possible to never have it procced. The chance for it to happen is extremly low but still there is one.

Please explain to me how statistically it is possible to never proc RS, when Pyros have a talent that GUARANTEES triggering CGC? I dont get it.

Please explain to me how statistically it is possible to never proc RS, when Pyros have a talent that GUARANTEES triggering CGC? I dont get it.

CGC is not PPA proc's Agooz.. You're thinking of Bursting Flame, he's talking about PPA to make a free RS and reset the CD.

When RS isn't on CD you SHOULDN"T BE RP/FB, you should be RS'ing. Then PPA will never proc when RS isn't on CD. I mean srsly not that hard.

The reason it does still proc is that you are still benefiting from the free RS (other wise RS costs 16 heat) even when the cooldown on RS is not active.

The easy solution is to get the target burning with IM or throw out a couple rapid fires for a possible CGC proc when heat is too high for IM.

The reason it does still proc is that you are still benefiting from the free RS (other wise RS costs 16 heat) even when the cooldown on RS is not active.

The easy solution is to get the target burning with IM or throw out a couple rapid fires for a possible CGC proc when heat is too high for IM.

This is true. Never really thought about it like that though...

But still, to get the target burning the easiest thing to do is use FB or IM but IM is very heat intensive.

I was mostly talking about PVP when you don't want to use Rapid Shots a whole lot. PvE is something else entirely

:)

*edited*

Actually, RS only costs 8 heat when the target is burning.

Edited by StarHuntr

There is nothing at all wrong with prepping a target with Rapid Fire. For example taking 3 seconds to pop a sorc's mez-bubble from 15m away is going to save you heat and allow you to better burst the sorc, while at the same time avoiding the mez. You could also use Unload for this same purpose.

/sigh

PPA talent is a % chance based on two abilities to reset the cooldown on Rail Shot and make the next Rail Shot resource cost free. The % is 45 for Flame Burst, and 60 for Rocket Punch. Sure seems like higher numbers, and everyone goes wow....

Now compare it to Reverse Engineering crafted items for a pattern at 20%. How often have you gone on strings where you crafted 20 or so items, RE'd them all and no pattern. Bad Luck RNG. Same thing with the above. It does happen, and when it does, you miss out on the free Rail Shot, and your dps can suffer for it.

/sigh

PPA talent is a % chance based on two abilities to reset the cooldown on Rail Shot and make the next Rail Shot resource cost free. The % is 45 for Flame Burst, and 60 for Rocket Punch. Sure seems like higher numbers, and everyone goes wow....

Now compare it to Reverse Engineering crafted items for a pattern at 20%. How often have you gone on strings where you crafted 20 or so items, RE'd them all and no pattern. Bad Luck RNG. Same thing with the above. It does happen, and when it does, you miss out on the free Rail Shot, and your dps can suffer for it.

But the OP was talking about taking away the Free PROC when RS isn't on CD already. Meaning RS is up avail to use but instead of RS'ing you RP/FB and get a free proc. To me you're dong it wrong and should RS first, but I get what he's saying.

But the OP was talking about taking away the Free PROC when RS isn't on CD already. Meaning RS is up avail to use but instead of RS'ing you RP/FB and get a free proc. To me you're dong it wrong and should RS first, but I get what he's saying.

Sometimes I have seen RS on cooldown, 1 sec left before it is up, and then it is up because of the proc. Unfortunately, you are still on the GCD from your previous attack that procced PPA and so it is partially wasted. You still get the free RS, but you lost out on an almost back to back RS. Such is the life of RNG.

/sigh

WOW, that really needed the /sigh ...LOL

I said RS proc, not PPA proc. Sorry I wasnt too specific about the difference, or that I used the word proc instead of trigger. What I meant is that you cant go 15-20sec without having an RS available as a Pyro.

I have said it before on another thread. People put too much thought into PPA, especially in PvP. I admit, I was doing the same thing when I first learned about the 1.2 change to PPA. At this point, I dont even think about PPA RS vs normal RS, outside of an opening with 0 heat where I use IM. In PvP you WILL have an RS pretty much every 6-8, period.

... In PvP you WILL have an RS pretty much every 6-8, period.

I think your estimate is a good 3 seconds off. In PVP I tend to sit on my proc unless a crit would kill the target. I hold the proc a few seconds and do my best to tie it to a TD if the target is over 50% and isn't a squishy.

Edited by Hethroin

I think your estimate is a good 3 seconds off. In PVP I tend to sit on my proc unless a crit would kill the target. I hold the proc a few seconds and do my best to tie it to a TD if the target is over 50% and isn't a squishy.

My point is that the RS is there and available to you every 6-8sec. Whether you use it as soon as it is triggered, or save it to tie it to a TD or setup a back to back RS, is up to the player and what the situation calls for.

I honestly think that any tweak to PPA in the direction of not missing normal RS CDs, would be crossing over the overpowered line. In fact, I just want BW to stay as far away as possible from Pyros . I much preferred the RNG deviation of pre 1.2, from a "fun factor" perspective. They could have toned down the output of the tree slightly instead of changing the unpredictability of of the burst. That's why I dont want them to mess around with the tree again.

My point is that the RS is there and available to you every 6-8sec. Whether you use it as soon as it is triggered, or save it to tie it to a TD or setup a back to back RS, is up to the player and what the situation calls for.

I honestly think that any tweak to PPA in the direction of not missing normal RS CDs, would be crossing over the overpowered line. In fact, I just want BW to stay as far away as possible from Pyros . I much preferred the RNG deviation of pre 1.2, from a "fun factor" perspective. They could have toned down the output of the tree slightly instead of changing the unpredictability of of the burst. That's why I dont want them to mess around with the tree again.

Totally agree but with all the whining on the PVP forums against us, think the nerf bat is incoming. And not in a good change way.

I agree 100% about Bioware staying away from this class. I don't want PTs to be the next Op or Sorc.

There is nothing at all wrong with prepping a target with Rapid Fire. For example taking 3 seconds to pop a sorc's mez-bubble from 15m away is going to save you heat and allow you to better burst the sorc, while at the same time avoiding the mez. You could also use Unload for this same purpose.

While true, I was mostly talking about when you want to burst down a target, Rapid Shots isnt exactly very "bursty."

I still use it in PvP though, to a minor extent.

I know I should RS first but I can't RS unless the target is burning. The target isn't burning unless I use IM or FB, and FB would probably give me the PPA proc, even when RS is not on cooldown.

I know you understood what I was saying, just posted this so anyone that doesn't understand now does.

rapid shots will dot the target, so will unload...but unload should be used when the targets on fire to get the bonus dmg....just sayin

While true, Rapid Shots and Unload only have a 16% chance to proc CGC, where FB has a 100% chance to proc CGC.