The ONE THING that's wrong.

halueryphi

The game is way too small and linear. Now i know some people like it this way but think about it, if the game was as big and free as the world in WoW would you be having a better time? (After they merged servers ofc) Think about it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The game is way too small and linear. Now i know some people like it this way but think about it, if the game was as big and free as the world in WoW would you be having a better time? (After they merged servers ofc) Think about it.

not if it's a linear experience that the gamer prefers ;)

whats the point of an open world, something WOW is supposedly to have, when you get no experience and there is no mission vendors off the beaten track.

You would spend too much time wasted on exploring and gaining no experience, its linear so that the player can follow a story that is related to the class the player has chosen.

whats the point of an open world, something WOW is supposedly to have, when you get no experience and there is no mission vendors off the beaten track.

You would spend too much time wasted on exploring and gaining no experience, its linear so that the player can follow a story that is related to the class the player has chosen.

WoW is also a theme park,but does it much better than this...these worlds are way to small and leave no room for any kind of exploration. have you ever played WoW? you would say the same thing if you had.

Oh yeah. The way the game is now would make it not work at ALL. And they could still have vendors. Just make them give out items according to the level of the character. And They could have planets where the main quests are and planets where side quests and misc are. And they need an OPEN WORLD. The world is way too enclosed the way it is now. And they need to add life to it. The planets all seem dead. Its missing the "In the star wars universe" feel.

WoW doesn't have an open world anymore, post Cataclysm. You, the gamers have spoken - you don't want quests asking you to travel across the continent, you want linear questing experiences. Hub after hub of quests that are all in the same area, and are required to unlock the next hub.

While I hate that style in WoW, I think it works fine for SWTOR because it's story-driven. "Sandbox" and story-driven (at least in terms of questing) are very difficult to have coexisting together when you think of the logistics and how many exponential possible branching paths there would be for the story.

WoW doesn't have an open world anymore, post Cataclysm. You, the gamers have spoken - you don't want quests asking you to travel across the continent, you want linear questing experiences. Hub after hub of quests that are all in the same area, and are required to unlock the next hub.

While I hate that style in WoW, I think it works fine for SWTOR because it's story-driven. "Sandbox" and story-driven (at least in terms of questing) are very difficult to have coexisting together when you think of the logistics and how many exponential possible branching paths there would be for the story.

WoW is still open world. Its not tiny and you feel like you're IN A WORLD. On swtor... its almost like you're just in a city. With absolutely no life whatsoever.

Yeah. I said that i know not EVERYONE isnt happy with the linearity. But the game would thrive more with a more open sandbox feel. Thats all im sayin.

and i get that you might prefer a sandbox instead of a linear game. more often than not if a game's story is the main selling factor. . .then the game tends to be linear.

I'm not saying that all sandbox games have a crappy story or anything. But when you think about it, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, The Old Republic. . .all are known because of their story. . .yet are all very linear games.

I'm on the fence about the sandbox vs linear games. It's more about the time of game I'm wanting to play at the time. Sometimes I like to just go out and explore huge area. . .but more often than not(i guess more with games with a good/big story) when I get to the exploring part I just get lost and confused and can easily lose track of where I am or where I need to go. . .or even spend so much time exploring(or doing side quests) that I am no longer as intrigued with the main story as I was when I first started exploring(or doing side quests).

Edited by FourTwent

can someone explain to me how WOW is "OPEN WORLD"? and how that its this marvelous thing that every MMO should be held up against it.

Since when has WOW be the pinnacle of MMO's?

Because it does everything for you. Hence, you don't need to think.

can someone explain to me how WOW is "OPEN WORLD"? and how that its this marvelous thing that every MMO should be held up against it.

Since when has WOW be the pinnacle of MMO's?

since they have 10 million more subs then any MMO in history

WoW is still open world. Its not tiny and you feel like you're IN A WORLD. On swtor... its almost like you're just in a city. With absolutely no life whatsoever.

The worlds are actually quite big. For example Alderaan is the size of 7 WoW zones.

While I am also disappointed at what Coruscant and Nar Shaddaa turned out to be (i.e. hallways, rather than a huge city like Corellia), the higher level SWTOR zones are quite well done. They're overwhelmingly large and I doubt you've explored every nook and cranny there. On the other hand, it was very simple to get the WoW "Explorer" achievement in less than a day. The WoW zones are extremely tiny and you need some suspension of disbelief to get past the "oh, I walked 5 steps forward and now the forest is suddenly a snowy mountain".

As to the question of feeling "alive" there's no doubt WoW wins there. SWTOR's NPCs are almost all static and are not able to be interacted with. And I think that having looping music would contribute to the environments feeling less dead.

But in either case, the player has spoken. In both games, it's clear that players would rather stand around the cities and queue for things rather than go out into the world, explore, and fight the opposite faction. So it looks like WoW wins since its tiny zones are used for a quick level-up and are abandoned past that point. Players always claim they want "sandboxes" and "open worlds" but left to their own devices they take the easiest route to the greatest item rewards and stand around cities and queue for things. Players don't actually know what they want.

Edited by Jenzali

since they have 10 million more subs then any MMO in history

So what your saying is that due to the fact that SWTOR is only 6 months old and have 1.3 Million that compared to WOW that has 10 Million and been out for "ten years" that means that WOW is far superior to SWTOR.

KIDS!!!!

The worlds are actually quite big. For example Alderaan is the size of 7 WoW zones.

While I am also disappointed at what Coruscant and Nar Shaddaa turned out to be (i.e. hallways, rather than a huge city like Corellia), the higher level SWTOR zones are quite well done. They're overwhelmingly large and I doubt you've explored every nook and cranny there. On the other hand, it was very simple to get the WoW "Explorer" achievement in less than a day. The WoW zones are extremely tiny and you need some suspension of disbelief to get past the "oh, I walked 5 steps forward and now the forest is suddenly a snowy mountain".

As to the question of feeling "alive" there's no doubt WoW wins there. SWTOR's NPCs are almost all static and are not able to be interacted with. And I think that having looping music would contribute to the environments feeling less dead.

Yeah. I guess its the alive part that i dont like. Theres not enough friendly people. You're almost ALWAYS in some jungle in the middle of nowhere with nothing around you except enemies.

Why? They'd just fill it with exactly the same buildings.

Hands up if anyone's noticed how lazy the designers were in this game, and basically put the same building interiors on every planet?

So what your saying is that due to the fact that SWTOR is only 6 months old and have 1.3 Million that compared to WOW that has 10 Million and been out for "ten years" that means that WOW is far superior to SWTOR.

KIDS!!!!

the point is that this game started strong but is nearly dead... 1.3 million subs was 2 months ago,reality is TOR is well below a million at this point and dropping fast. everything that TOR does (except story) WoW does 100x better,and is the reason why WoW is still a juggernaut 10 years later. the problem with TOR is there is nothing new here,and expierenced gamers have left in droves for this very reason. this game was a failed attempt to clone WoW,nothing more...and they didnt even do it well.

edit...im not a kid...but i do have several

Edited by tloops

Actually, Wow is far from an open world. Fatigue anyone? The only open world MMO I've experienced so far was SWG.

The reason that SWTOR is failing is that the game is based on the subject that many cults are and geek fests are, too many people came here expecting to live out their Star Wars fantasy only to find that the game was set years before the first movie and there favorite characters where nowhere to be seen.

If this game was set between the first episode and the last episode there would be more subs than WOW

WOW is through and through a fantasy game based on original idea from it creation where as Star wars is almost a religion in some parts of the world

The 1 thing that's wrong is there's too many servers.

This.

Would I like to see more open world stuff, well yes. I do find it hard to see what people are asking for when they say open world just because for it have a point there would have to be a point to the space. If nothing is there why would most people bother with it at all. In SWG there was a point to the space and that was layer city's and house's.