The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

@alaurin, I liked Aric and Jonas fighting over the blame. And I hope they find her soon! :eek:

Now then, I'm going on vacation for the next ten days so I may not be posting too much here...in any case I'll leave you with this before I go. :)

Prompt - Defenses

Title - Preparing for the Battle

Class - Jedi Knight/Trooper/Smuggler/Bounty Hunter

No spoilers

They were all gathered in the cramped command center–Prudii, Jorgan, Madine, Jasin, Rusk, Dankin, Ylenia, Dha, and a dozen members of the base's command crew. Madine had a holomap of the base's perimeter called up, with the blue map glowing red at the points the Imperial Army was expected to come from. There was a lot of red.

"We don't have time to evacuate this time," Madine said. "They're too close and we had no warning. We wouldn't have the buildings halfway disassembled before they were on top of us. I've already called for reinforcements from the First Fleet, but they won't arrive for at least a day. So we need a defense plan."

"The obvious choice would be to meet them head-on," Jasin said, "but that would end up with many casualties on both sides–too many for us to even consider it."

"And if we just sit here and wait them out they'll inevitably cut us down," Prudii added.

"It's a classic no-win situation," agreed Madine.

"Not necessarily," Prudii insisted. "We have something that no Republic force has probably ever had before." He gestured around the room. "A crew of professional smugglers with an armed freighter, at least three Mandalorian warriors, counting Akaavi, a Jedi strike force, and..." he grinned, "Havoc Squad."

"Yeah, he's right," added Dankin. "We're in this together now. Whatever we can do to help, just let us know."

"Us too," Dha agreed. "I don't fancy fighting the Imperials, but I'm not going to lie down and die, either. We're all with you. Well...all of us except that Houk getting drunk in your cantina."

Prudii winced. Dha had told him about his fight with Skadge and how the Houk had stormed off. As much as Prudii disliked Skadge, he would've been useful in the coming fight–a warrior of his mass and strength would be nearly unmatched by the Empire. But in any case, Prudii didn't want to fight alongside someone who would probably stab him in the back at first opportunity.

Jorgan interceded. "The buildings," he said. "They're collapsible, right?"

Madine nodded. "That's right, Captain. Why?"

"What if we empty them? With the ordnance Vik, Dha, and Dankin can provide, plus what the base has, we can probably lay some pretty ugly traps for the Imps."

"He's right," Prudii said. "One small bomb in the right spot and those buildings come down right on top of the Imps. And if we do it right, just plant them at the gears, then they'll be easily repairable later."

"Not a bad idea," Jasin agreed.

"All right." Madine gestured. "Dha, Vik, Jorgan, Dankin, I want you to begin setting the ordnance. Take the engineer crews to move everything inside the buildings into the cantina–we won't need it for the time being and we don't have to collapse it, either. And move everyone out of there. They're either fighting or hiding–not drinking."

Jorgan nodded. "Yes, sir."

He led Vik, Dha, and Dankin from the room. Akaavi and Corso, standing by the entrance, followed them out. Jasin stepped forward and made some adjustments to the map, highlighting the buildings that would be booby trapped in yellow. Then, thoughtfully, he rearranged it.

"What if," he said, "we have the second row of buildings mined? My Jedi and I can hide in the first row and cut them down as they come in. When it gets to be too much, we pull back through the second row, the Imps follow us, and when we're out, Vik detonates them."

"I like it," Prudii said.

"So do I," agreed Madine. "All right. Get your Knights ready, Master Jedi." He motioned at the commander of the Republic infantry. "Commander, I want your forces dispersed amongst the trees outside the force field. When the Imps get too much you pull back inside and lead them to the Jedi."

The commander saluted. "Yes, sir."

He and Jasin, along with Rusk, departed, leaving only Ylenia, Prudii, Madine, and the rest of the command crew inside. Ylenia stepped forward.

"We need to get the patients somewhere safe," she said.

"We can use my ship and Dankin's," Prudii said. "And I'm sure Dha wouldn't mind either, in return for your healing Mako."

"Get on it," Madine said.

Ylenia nodded and turned to go, and the command crew followed, leaving only Madine and Prudii inside. Prudii picked up his helmet, holding it at his side, and looked Madine straight in the eye. The commander was hiding his worry well, but he was obviously not enthusiastic about their chances.

"Level with me, Major," Madine said. "Do you think we can beat them?"

"If we can't, sir, we can sure as kyr'am give them a kick in the pants before we die, and the First Fleet can mop 'em up."

Madine nodded. "Thank you for your honesty, Major. Dismissed."

Prudii left. He had a lot of planning to do.

Coming back with comments shortly, but story time first. I was working on something for the current prompt, but I'm not happy with it yet. So instead, the next part of Mel's story.

NotLP: Family

Title: Found and Lost

With Mel and Ellis (and cameos from Mako, Gault and Kinka). No spoilers, about 1400 words

It took six days for someone to notice Ellis was no longer aboard the Elektra. The thing was, no one seeing him for long stretches wasn’t that unusual. He often locked himself away from the others, never bothering with the social charade any more. Mako would leave a plate for him at dinner and breakfast, and at some point he’d wander into the galley to retrieve it — at least every other day or so. His research had become his obsession. And everyone else was perfectly OK with forgetting he was even there at all.

When Ellis failed to take his meal for nearly a week, it was Mako who put the pieces together.

“We’ve got a problem.”

Mel scowled. “Ugh, I know. Gault ate the last Wookie Pop. We’re gonna have to establish a ‘boss always gets the last bite’ rule around here.”

“It’s not the snacks. Ellis is gone.”

Mel rolled her eyes, still searching for a snack. Barely a day went by when somebody didn’t have a complaint about something Ellis had or hadn’t done. She was beginning to feel sorry for the man. Still, Mako sounded genuinely distressed. “What’s he done this time?”

“He hasn’t done anything — he’s not here. I checked his bunk, I checked upstairs. No one else has seen him either. Mel, he’s gone.”

Son of a b*tch “No. No.” He wouldn’t have abandoned her, abandoned his work. No matter how disturbed he’d become, it wasn’t in him to walk away. But that didn’t change the fact that he was gone.

“They’ll take me,” Mel murmured. “I’ll be a mindless drone.”

Mako looked confused. “Wait, what?”

“He was my only chance.”

Mako’s hand on her shoulder brought Mel back to the present. Falling apart was still premature. Yes, Ellis was gone. But between a Great Hunt champion and an ex-Imperial Intelligence agent, they’d find him. “Round everybody up,” she told Mako. “Ship meeting in five.”

Once everyone had gathered, Mel explained that Ellis was missing — and just why they should care. Kinka was in tears at the idea of her daughter being dragged into the hive consciousness, but Mel reassured her that everything would be OK once they found the doctor. If they found him.

“Does he have his glasses?”

They all turned to look at Kinka.

“I guess so,” Mako shrugged. “He always wears them.”

“Why?” Mel was almost certain she didn’t want to know what her mother had done.

“I may have embedded a nice little tracking device inside when I fixed them.”

“Mom, you didn’t.”

“Honey, I promised you I’d get along with the man; I said nothing about not keeping my eyes open.”

“Forget about Professor Evil’s privacy, your mom’s a genius,” Gault grinned.

“Well,” Kinka hedged, “Mako offered a few pointers.”

Mel whirled around to face her friend, as if to say, ‘you, too?’ but let the argument drop. “Doesn’t matter. Let’s just find him.”

“Make it fast,” Gault added. “I’m missing a blaster, and I’m betting the doc’s aim is about as good as a Hutt’s odds of winning a beauty contest.”

Ellis stumbled over rocks and rubble with every slow, careful step. It had been days since he’d last slept. He never could relax enough to sleep on the small, claustrophobia-inducing shuttles. Inevitably he always seemed to end up next to some large, smelly alien with no sense of personal space, and he didn't dare leave himself vulnerable to being crushed in his sleep.

The whispers, at least, were finally quiet, but his mind still wandered to thoughts of his mother and their long-delayed reunion. Questions swirled about how she’d found him, how she’d known to contact him aboard someone else’s ship. He refused to let them nag at him. Pushed them aside and set his mind to navigating the hot, dry wastes of Sarafur.

He’d barely heard of the coreworld planet, much less been there. From the looks of it, few people had. The spaceport looked to be a two-man operation, and the speeder he'd rented was at least a decade out of date. From there he left what passed for civilization for a craggy outcropping of rock deep in the desert. It looked to be a sort of temple once, long since abandoned and overgrown with some variety of wild desert vine.

Ellis was thankful for the shade the dark cave offered, but apprehensive about venturing too far inside. It never crossed his mind that any of it could be a trap; he was more concerned with overly aggressive wildlife that might find him an easy meal. Ellis felt for the blaster he'd borrowed from the Devaronian as something moved in the dark, then relaxed at once when she emerged from the shadows.

“Mother.” Ellis broke into a grin and rushed to embrace her. Until he’d seen her alive and in front of him, he hadn’t completely believed any of the past couple days had been real. That it hadn’t been his mind playing tricks on him. But she was really there. It was hard to tell from the subpar quality of the holo just how weathered his mother had become. She wasn’t young, but the lines on her face seemed much too deep for someone her age. Her long, blond hair was a dull grey now, pinned up in a modest bun. Her rail thin figure worried him; he wondered how well the hive had looked after her. But all that aside, she was alive. He hugged her tight, not wanting to let go. “I’ve missed you so much.”

“And we you,” she replied cordially. Llyala Lokin pulled away first, peering around him as if she were expecting someone else to follow after him. “You’re...alone?”

“I left right after your call. Pulled a lot of strings to get a last-minute flight. Come to think of it, I should have probably left a message.” He made a mental note to holo Mel later.

“You really shouldn’t have come alone,” she said quietly.

Ellis frowned. He’d expected a different reaction from his mother, after all this time. It wasn’t a Joiner’s stoicism that had drained her of emotion. No, if anything she seemed disappointed. “Is something wrong? I- I know it’s been a long time, and you’re really not seeing me the way I usually am. I’ve been having trouble sleeping. And- and I just wanted to see you as soon as possible, so I didn’t even think to...and I’m rambling.”

“We did not think you would come alone.”

Alone. Her words nagged at him. She kept repeating the same thing.

“Does it matter?” He withdrew from the woman. “You wanted to see me, did you not? You tracked me down — Maker knows how — and begged me to come to you out in the middle of nowhere. Now you act as though I’m somehow intruding. What haven’t you told me, mother?”

“We knew that if you came, so would she. This is not as we expected. Still,” she added, her voice lilting melodically, “she will come.”

“Mel.” Ellis let the words sink in. His mother never wanted him there. Had only found him because he could deliver their so-called savior. “You only wanted her.”

“She is key to our survival. The kind must have a leader who can strike against the forces that would exterminate us. Alderaan will be ours once more.”

“I was merely a means to an end. For them,” he spat. Suddenly there was a lifetime of memories that rang false. Everything had been a lie. His whole life he’d believed she was the one who’d loved him, cared for him, while his father was the source of the torment he’d endured. That she had been powerless against him. For all Ellis knew, she’d let him do those things.

He hung his head and turned from her. Closed his eyes as the pounding started in his head. How could she be so calm about this? Did it mean nothing that he was standing in front of her after all those years? She felt nothing for him. He was a resource that the hive could use, that was all. Ellis wiped at his eyes and looked back at his mother for one final time before he left her.

“We did as the hive required,” she tried to explain, wholly unaware of the rage building inside of her son. Llyala furrowed her brow. “You’re disappointed in us.” She seemed genuinely confused.

The words were enough to stop him. To make him turn back and confront her.

“You were supposed to love me!” he roared. Ellis fumbled for the stolen blaster, hands trembling, mind racing. “You’re a liar.”

“Ellis, we—”

“No! No. Don’t speak to me like they would. Don’t you dare say anything else using their words.” He was inches from her face, blaster pressed against her ribs. His voice lowered to an unsteady growl. “Even if she comes, they won’t succeed. I’ll send her away. And you’ll fail. Even if it kills me, I’ll make sure of it.”

Llyala reached up to stroke his cheek, wiped away an angry tear that had broken free. “My poor Ellis. So much anger. We can help you find peace. If you would only stop fighting.”

Ellis closed his eyes, rested his forehead against his mother’s. He steadied his hand for just a second, long enough to squeeze the trigger. The sound and heat from the discharged blaster jolted him from his anger. Llyala Lokin went limp and slumped to the floor.

“Never,” he whispered.

Note:

Sarafur, according to Wookiepeedia, had ties to the killiks at some point, so I made it the setting for this one because I needed another killiky place that wasn't Alderaan.

Loooonng comments incoming:

@Lesaberisa, Drunk Veresia making Khem facepalm, priceless. And I’m loving that Mina discovered a way to turn the inherent prejudices against Chiss into a powerful tool. I’ll also agree with DSM, Amurri’s definitely a compelling character. More, please!

@Striges, I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed a conversation between inanimate objects so much.

“Lights off, toys quiet. You aren’t even alive.”

"She called us toys, Revan. I'm offended," Kel'eth Ur said.

"Don't be," Revan's mask replied, "a child plays with toys. Keeps them close. Talks to them. Artifacts get forgotten on a shelf."

This whole thing, brilliant and hilarious.

@KimbriOnasi, Welcome to the thread! Really enjoyed your first piece. I can’t resist an agent story, and then you go and throw Sanju in. *sigh* I remember being sorely disappointed that I couldn’t bring him along for my agent.

@Yoshi,

Gault shrugged. "Frankly, I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner."

Can’t say I disagree. Skadge leaving is perfect for the prompt.

"We have something that no Republic force has probably ever had before." He gestured around the room. "A crew of professional smugglers with an armed freighter, at least three Mandalorian warriors, counting Akaavi, a Jedi strike force, and..." he grinned, "Havoc Squad."

The gang’s all together. I can’t say enough how much I like when that happens.

@alaurin, Love seeing everyone working together to find Tia. Kat’s matter-of-fact attitude is great, especially in talking to Jorgan. I like that she can be incredibly tough with him but try to help him out a bit later on.

@Phyreblade, The Gaib-Akaavi story! Awww, so sweet. Her observation about the little things that could have been bothersome becoming part of what’s endearing about him was just spot on. And in the second, a Pierce-Jaesa pairing isn’t one I’d ever thought of, but now that you put it out there, I like it!

@Adwynyth, Good to hear from you again!

"We don't have a mission, you imbecile! My mission right now is to feed you to Khem. He hasn't had a decent meal in ages, since all the smart Jedi run at the very sight of me."

This is hilarious. And I completely agree, Ashara’s refusal to accept that she’s rolling with a Sith who wants no part of anything she’s selling is maddening. It seems like it would have made more sense if she’d been a LS/DS kind of thing.

@DSM, I like how you dealt with Skadge. Drokk giving him the chance to change because that could have been him was a nice, fitting explanation for making him part of the crew. And the fact that Mako’s quite the bad*ss throughout is such a hoot.

@frauzet, I like how you set up the base infiltration. Very clever to try to avoid a fight, especially since there’s supposed to be so many seps inside.

@Magdalane, You bring out the very best in Corso. His reason for staying with Miriah is sweet, genuine. And it’s nice to see her let him in just a little bit, even if she doesn’t mean to.

@Bright, It’s tough to see Ruth hurting and feeling as though she’s lost everything. The third story is a nice, hopeful cap to the trio.

Finally made it home and the Index is up to date!!! I strongly encourage people to look their stuff over since there was a lot I had to enter......hopefully I didn't miss anything, but it's possible with as behind as I was. If there are any mistakes, send me a PM and I'll fix it ASAP!!

@Yoshi: Have fun on vacation! Yikes, another cliffhanger......glad Vik is back and I hope they all make it out! :eek:

@alaurin, I liked Aric and Jonas fighting over the blame. And I hope they find her soon! :eek:

Oh, Tia will be making her location known very soon.......

@Marissalf: Awwww, that made me feel so bad for Ellis! I still think he's kinda creepy, but with what he had for parents, I can understand. Oh and Wookie Pops.......dare I ask what those are?! ;)

@alaurin, Love seeing everyone working together to find Tia. Kat’s matter-of-fact attitude is great, especially in talking to Jorgan. I like that she can be incredibly tough with him but try to help him out a bit later on.

I'm glad you like Kat. She isn't one to mince words, neither is Val, but she's a little more considerate whereas Kat is more of a 'speak before you think'/reactionary type that feels bad about it later.

Comments:

@YoshiRaphElan, Woot, Tanno Vik is back! Enjoy your vacation, we’ll have to see how the defense goes from here.

@marissalf, great chapter. Ellis’s disappointment is wrenching. (Jeez, am I sympathizing with a Lokin? This must be witchcraft on the author’s part…)

@alaurin, Kat on a rampage is a scary prospect. Also, I don’t think I’ve said it lately, but thanks so much for maintaining the index! It’s helpful to have the per-character lists in place.

Story: kind of a random Altered States of Mind for Wynston and his old partner Egrin post-Taris. Spoilers for Imperial Agent through Taris, with obvious implications through Belsavis or thereabouts. 1200 words, ish.

Republic interests advanced on Taris, thanks to Wynston’s help. “Voluntary” according to his double-agent assignment; coerced thanks to the mind programming the Republic had somehow located and taken advantage of. It came down to brain damage, but he could still work. They could still get use out of him. Now here he was on his own ship, with his own assignments, and he hadn’t the least control over any of it. The Republic had his leash, and his true loyalties didn’t matter until he found a way out.

He drank most evenings. Either it hadn’t occurred to them to ban it or they didn’t care, and it took some of the edge off his helplessness. He hid it from the crew. As far as they knew it was a regular undercover mission and they were playing the parts of repentant defectors. As far as they knew this was still a game.

“Can’t sleep?”

Wynston turned his head without lifting it from the pillow. Beside him on a chair that hadn’t been there before sat a barrel-chested, pale-eyed man with floppy brown hair and Republic-flavored clothing a few years out of date. “Egrin?”

“Your memory,” the former Intelligence agent said in his familiar bass voice. “A hallucination. Something like that. Does it really count as me? Is anyone or anything qualified to say it doesn’t? Interesting questions.”

Philosophical sidetracks? “Definitely Egrin. Where do you fit into all this?”

“Oh, just part of the forcible rerouting in your head. A manifestation, knocked loose by alcohol or stress or something.” He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “You know, for all our nights out on Coruscant, I don’t think I ever saw you drunk.”

“Well. Feast your eyes.” He was too tired to deny or explain.

“Such as they are. I wonder, did you guide this on some level? Am I the one you would have picked to talk to?”

Wynston sneered. There weren’t many people he considered beyond negotiation, but… “I wouldn’t pick you for anything. Traitor.”

“Still angry? Wynston, think about this. You know the Republic didn’t have the time or chance to program you. You know who did, who did it and made you forget.”

“I know,” said Wynston.

“The Empire betrayed you.”

“They did what they had to do,” he said defiantly. The thoughts he’d repeated to himself night after restless night started spilling out, blurred only slightly by an impulse that told him he’d better not say anything incriminating. Incriminating according to whom, he had lost track. “I don’t care that they did it. That’s what you don’t understand. That’s what you never understood. I’m property of my employers, Egrin, and if they thought it was necessary it was their prerogative. Even if I don’t enjoy it. The only problem I have is with the person who handed over the key.”

“So much faith in the Empire? Still? Even after Jadus?”

Wynston hesitated. His head was spinning. “I trust my direct superiors.”

“You do care what they did to you. Maybe not for your own sake, you always did have a little of the martyr in you. That was cause for some hope, actually. I always held you in high regard, but to be blunt, back then that self-sacrificing streak was the only trace of non-plagiarized poetry in your soul. And even then you always insisted on couching it in phrasing about calculations and acceptable costs. I always thought you’d be a happier man if you took a few seconds here and there to feel what you’re fighting for, and I don’t just mean shore leave. …Where was I?”

“You were commenting on my martyr complex,” Wynston said dryly. He was traditionally tasked with noting when Egrin’s train of thought went off the rails. If this was an illusion, he thought, it was a remarkably faithful one.

“Right, then. Well, maybe it’s not such a lonely element these days. You want the freedom and the discretion because you know the higher-ups don’t always know best. Twelve years ago you were happy to be a helpless cog. That was how you proved yourself, and I’ll be the first to say you made a good job of it. But now? I don’t think you’re that tool anymore, Wynston.”

“I’m not you, either, if that’s what you’re getting at.” Never a traitor, never really the turncoat he had been ordered to pretend to be. “Your people are no better; they seized on the codeword as soon as they had the chance.”

“The Republic’s going hard on a suspected enemy. They don’t chew up their own people. Once you’ve proved yourself–”

“They’ll never loosen that leash.” He had to find his own way out of that. “You know where I’m going, Egrin, the minute I’m able. I’ve chosen my side. I’ll do my job. My duty.”

“I’ll tell you now what I told you then. Your orders won’t always line up with your conscience. Even you can’t ignore that forever.”

If he weren’t already drunk and exhausted he would never say it out loud. “I said my duty, not my orders.”

Egrin’s jaw dropped. Wynston spared a thought for grim satisfaction; he didn’t often catch the older man at a loss for words. The victory also eased his panic at having said it. Egrin recovered a moment later, and his voice was edged with the skepticism he had always played devil’s advocate with. Sometimes he did it just to be contrary. “And if that means you have to go it alone?”

Sometimes the rebuttal was easy. “Egrin, you might remember that I once killed the only known friendly contact within six sectors, my professional senior, my mentor, and my partner. A man who, for all our differences, I liked and admired, as I’m sure you knew. Maybe that’s why you were so sure I wouldn’t do it. But it was necessary to safeguard the mission.” He looked at the point on Egrin’s chest where the first shot had burned in. It looked intact now. Absurd, that his vision would so smoothly belie this part of his memory. “Yes, I was left to work alone. No, that didn’t stop me. Whatever’s happened between then and now, I haven’t changed that much.”

Egrin smiled as if at some private joke. “Evidently not. Since it’s still me you come to argue with.”

But he faded then, and it was another voice that said. “Interesting. You’ve made a habit of executing people for heresy.”

Wynston didn’t reward the voice by responding. He just lay awake a while longer, listening to his sluggish heartbeat. Doing his job alone? No, he needed the backup of a well-funded agency to do any good. The Republic wasn’t the way to go and never had been. If only he could take Imperial Intelligence outside the Dark Council’s knowledge, outside their insane control...that was just the sort of impossibility Egrin could prattle about for hours. Wynston was only even entertaining the idea because of the strain he was under. He had enough impossible things on his plate without seeking new ones. And enough Republic agents to deal with without talking to dead ones.

Note:

The second voice is Watcher X, whom I prefer to avoid. I have a devil of a time writing him.

The plagiarized poetry in Wynston’s soul is reserved for the ladies.

Edited by bright_ephemera

Alaurin: I like this scene, where you show the different characters coming together. There’s blame and anger, but everyone wants Tia back.

YoshiRalphElan: Strategy, strategy...can’t wait to see the battle.

Marissalf: The build up to Ellis’ reunion, then the crushing disappointment. It’s so telling that it took six days for anyone to miss him.

Bright: Wynston arguing with himself. Or part of himself. Almost as though he’s working through his objections and thought processes in a very messed-up way.

Comments! Get'cher commments! Fresh hot comments!

@Yoshi: I like how everything seems to be coming together. The return of Vik made for a good moment before the storm. The Imperial army against the Grand Champion, a Smuggler, a Jedi, and HAVOC? Which means Blizz, Bowdaar, Rusk, and Four-Ex?

Yeah, the Imps better buy stock in body bags.

@Frauzet: I like how you've made Giz observant, but not overbearing. His ability to slick talk his way in and out of a situation is really endearing him to me, and man, I can't wait to see what happens when Nik finds Tavus and crew!

@Magdalane: You were the first person to ever make me look at Corso as something other than an annoying, cliche spouting hick. Glad to see you still got it. That was a beautiful story that showcased Corso's heart of gold. I may have to start using him more often.

@Bright: You have a great ability to define your characters and what drives them. Ruth is just as fascinating as Wynston, and having Jaesa be the true blue friend was an excellent call (especially based on Jaesa's hero worship of the SW).

Wynston's early days! I love Wynston's dialogue, but also that the discussion shows that he'll do what is required for the mission to succeed. He's a good guy at heart, but he has a duty to the Empire (not the Sith) that comes first. Always.

@Alaurin: KAT with the left! KO! I guess my dreams of a Jorgan-Kat romance is out then. Ah well, it was nice while it lasted. I loved the tension in the room, everyone blaming themselves, the other person, and Val is the only level headed one in there.

@Marissalf:

“Forget about Professor Evil’s privacy, your mom’s a genius,” Gault grinned.

Gault! My man! And I knew it! I knew Dr. Evil's mother was up to something! But man, Ellis... bigtime sacrifice there at the end. Keep it up and I might have to change my opinion. Can't wait to see more!

In the immortal words of Rob Halford - "'Cause I'm the one you love to hate!"

That's right. Sheeeee's baaaaack.

Prompt: Climate (Wind / Sand)

Class: Jedi Consular

Title: What Lies Beneath, Pt.1

Words: 1,135 (don't worry. I'm building back to form here soon...)

Timeframe: Following this

Spoilers: the Tatooine Planet quest, available to everyone

“Really Jedi, do we need to travel across the entire desert just to locate the old Czerka lab? I’m sure I could get Holiday to run a scan of the area—“

She rolled her eyes as she walked, hood up to avoid the cutting wind. “Tharan, I promise you, the sand will come out of all the places you’re worried about. I want to hear the messages at each beacon. Whatever would cause a MegaCorp like Czerka to walk away from something they'd invested nearly a billion credits in, we need to know about it.”

“Yes, yes. If we arrived to our destination faster, we could achieve the same results by asking Holiday to perform a quick scan and correlate her findings. Also, we could get out of this dreadful desert wind! I have sand in places I was previously unaware you could get s—“

Tharan was cut off when she threw out her hand and crouched. They were approaching the second beacon, but they weren’t alone. A group of Sandpeople stood at the beacon, stripping it for parts.

She made two signals with her hand. The first let Tharan know she was about to engage her stealth generator, and to stay close. The second was to have his weapon ready.

Tharan got a sour look on his face, but nodded in acknowledgement.

They engaged their stealth generators, as the Jedi silently crept forward, positioning herself behind the most menacing of the trio of Tuskens.

Normally, she believed in confronting her opponents. Her sense of honor demanded it. But this wasn’t the Jedi’s first time on Tatooine… nor dealing with Sandpeople. Experience had taught her honor was not a value they had in common.

She steeled herself, and ignited her lightsaber in the middle of the Tusken’s back. The blade pierced through the armor, and then his heart, killing him instantly. Her stealth broken, she leapt into action, dashing toward the next closest Tusken.

The advantage of surprise was lost, however. The Sandpeople were warriors, forged from birth by the desert hell of Tattooine’s sands. They were ready for battle before their comrade's body hit the ground.

She brought her blade down, severing the mace end of the gaffi stick being swung at her. The Tusken pushed the other end, which was fashioned into a pointed hook, towards her ear. The Jedi spun under the attack into a flying bicycle kick, catching her opponent on the side of his head and stunning him.

She landed and heard Tharan's blaster firing. Sparing a quick glance she saw him running and gunning, attacking the final Tusken. He dived to avoid a shot, firing as he hit the sand. His shot connected, knocking the Tusken down. As she turned her attention back to her own opponent, she heard him exclaim "Holiday! Were you watching?"

The Jedi parried an overhead blow from her attacker downward, removing the Tusken's head with the other end of her double edged saber as she followed through. She wheeled away, her saber whirling with her, taking up an attack position as she scanned the area. Their enemies were dead.

It's over. We are finished. She exhaled a large breath and focused on regaining her center. She inhaled deeply, and traced her breath as it traveled a path of seven critical points in her body. She felt the energy of the force pull into those points and revitalize her.

Tharan was already looking over the parts the Tuskens had taken, verifying that none were crucial to the mechanism that would replay the message files stored in the beacon.

"It should still work, Jedi. A miracle, since these savages toyed with it. Holiday dear, could you lend a hand please?"

The magenta hologram appeared next to Tharan, "Of course, darling! I'll have this running in no time!" She pointed at the beacon with one finger and began waving it around, stopping only when Director Antayen's holo-message started up.

The message talked of moving a new discovery to a secured area, and minimizing the number of people who would have access to it. However, this event wouldn't disrupt the timetable for whatever they had been working on.

"Fascinating" Tharan mused, "At this point, they obviously sense a danger in this 'device' they've discovered, yet they don't go back and recalculate the necessary time needed to safely examine it. This is why I never worked for a MegaCorp. Proper scientific method should never be sacrificed for the bottom line."

"I'm glad you decided that, my love." Holiday sensually walked a few steps to Tharan and ran a finger down his cheek, "Because you never would've awoken me, and then we wouldn't be together." Her voice trembled as she spoke breathlessly into his ear.

"*A-hem* We need to get moving" the Jedi looked out towards the dunes. "There's still three more of these things out there, and we have no idea how long Czerka has been at the location of the base."

"As you wish, Jedi. Still, I think we should locate it from the air and scan it. The sand is murder in my--"

"Tharan, your reaction to Holiday's teasing told me all I need -- or want -- to know about what's in your pants. You'll survive. Millions of beings will not, should Czerka gets their hands on that 'device'. Let's move on."

The figures broke stealth as the Jedi and her companion became small, wavy figures on the horizon of the desert dunes.

"Call into the ship. Have SCORPIO meet me at these coordinates... and tell her to hurry. You head back to the Phantom and prep it for launch. We'll be requiring an emergency extraction."

"Are you sure that's wise, Agent? You know how SCORPIO is. If she gets the ability to merge with this 'device'..."

"Your fears are valid, Temple. However, she has a certain... perspective I believe will be useful here. Having seen the effects of this 'device' first hand, I'm willing to gamble that the technology is far too advanced, even for her."

"Very well, sir."

"Keep my comm open. When you hear me say 'Oddly enough, we make a good team', that is your cue to begin extraction procedures."

"Got it, sir. Will there be cargo?"

"Unknown at this point, so plan for it. Also, have SCORPIO bring my disguise equipment. Now move out. I need to stay on the Jedi's trail before the wind covers her footprints." The cobalt skinned woman with black hair turned and started quickly down the fading trail left by the Jedi and her companion.

Week of 1/3/2014

Why Are You Still Here? Companions are bound to you in game but your head canon may be very different. Did a companion reach the breaking point with one of your characters? Did any of them leave or even subsequently rejoin your crew? Is there a particular reason an unlikely partnership is working, or a reason that a great-on-paper partnership gets badly strained? Prompt suggested by Striges.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5223753&postcount=1675.

This week's featured NotLP:

Affection - It's more than just a game mechanic. How do your characters show it, whether to their lover or their family or to their friends? Does it always have the intended effect, or do things get lost in translation?

Love this prompt! I have only had time to read YoshiRaphElan's story, but I really liked it. I can definitely see my own Powertech having a similar conversation with Skadge.

Keep up the great work in this thread. Every week y'all continue to create awesome stories around the game. I'll try to post in here more often when I can!

Love this prompt! I have only had time to read YoshiRaphElan's story, but I really liked it. I can definitely see my own Powertech having a similar conversation with Skadge.

Keep up the great work in this thread. Every week y'all continue to create awesome stories around the game. I'll try to post in here more often when I can!

A dev read my story.

A dev. Read. My story. :eek:

Catching up on commentary.......I hope (fingers crossed) to have the next part of the kidnapping saga finished this evening. I got another cold and have been too tired to focus much.

@Bright: Such an insightful, sad, slightly chilling look into Wynston. I really love how much depth you give your characters.

@alaurin, Kat on a rampage is a scary prospect. Also, I don’t think I’ve said it lately, but thanks so much for maintaining the index! It’s helpful to have the per-character lists in place.
Kat is a dangerous enemy to have. As for the Index, I'm happy to do it as long as people are finding it useful......I know I do.

Alaurin: I like this scene, where you show the different characters coming together. There’s blame and anger, but everyone wants Tia back.

Thank you for that......it really means a lot since I wasn't so sure about that piece. I feel that I am still so blah at this whole writing thing and it's good to hear that I can at least get the tension and emotions across.

@DarthSillyMonkey: I really love the interaction between your JC (I think I know who she is....) and Theron/Holiday. I look forward to more with them. Also, oh damn, here comes Fenn'rys to ruin everyone's day.....

@Alaurin: KAT with the left! KO! I guess my dreams of a Jorgan-Kat romance is out then. Ah well, it was nice while it lasted. I loved the tension in the room, everyone blaming themselves, the other person, and Val is the only level headed one in there.
I kinda feel bad for how much damage Jorgan is taking from Kat and Tia.....maybe I should make it up to him somehow. Sorry, I have someone else in mind for Kat (definitely not Torian though...). I'm glad the tension and emotions came through alright.....I was a little unsure about that piece and my writing in general.

A dev read my story.

A dev. Read. My story. :eek:

Of course they did.....your stuff is awesome!!! I'm totally jealous!! Now hurry up and continue your current storyline.....the suspense is killing me!

Edited by alaurin

As for the Index, I'm happy to do it as long as people are finding it useful......I know I do.

Hell yes I do! And I really really appreciate all the work you put into keeping it up to date. You always manage to be on top of it. Thank you!

And congratulations Yoshi!

Edited by DarthSillyMonkey

Prompt: Animal Kingdom (6/21/2013)

Class: Bounty Hunter w/ appearance by Malavai Quinn

Title: Quinn the Monkey-Lizard

Spoilers: Briefest meeting of my Bounty Hunter, Kastiel, with Lt. Malavai Quinn during the Balmorra story arc. So there are several mentions of the bounty hunter activities on that world. I originally published this on Fanfiction.net, as part of my bounty hunter story.

Note: My legacy includes five siblings, oldest to youngest include: my warrior, Lusiel; my bounty hunter, Kastiel; my operative, Khyriel; my smuggler, Gaibriel; and my knight, Camiel. Different mothers, between them. They've been separated by specific events before the opening of the story, so there are several occasions where they nearly bump into each other.

"So first we help Pirrel sabotage his Colonel's efforts to reconfigure the Okara droids to support Imperial interests – without killing the slicer, which was rather nice of us, I might add. And now we've helped rile up a bunch of sentient bugs so they'll eat more Imperials." Mako was muttering to Kastiel as they entered the chemist's shop at the Sobrik market, relying more than anything on the potency of Kas' implants to pick up the low sound of her murmured comments. "I mean, don't you find it funny, that we're actually helping the Republic here on Balmorra, more than we are the Empire?"

Kastiel shot Mako a twisted grin, "Bear no particular loyalty to the Empire, regardless. They just pay me. If they happen to be idiots intent on sabotaging their own interests, it's nothing to me." Kas tossed the stinger she'd cut off of the Colicoid queen up onto the table in front of the chemist. The man clucked in some disgust at first. Before he noted the dripping venom still oozing from the end of the stinger. Then he began making a cooing sound, even as he bent over the thing to begin prodding it with a small metal rod of some sort.

"I imagine Colicoid venom is worth a pretty bit, scientist. How much?" Kastiel barked, then, at the chemist, a human, with grey thinning hair. There were a couple of aliens working at various tables back behind the shop's owner, carefully handling various liquids of several different colors and textures. Probably slaves, Kas decided as she watched the arconan and duros working.

"I'll give you twenty credits for this," the chemist said, trying his damndest to sound firm and certain. But Kastiel noted easily the tense way he clenched his teeth, the stressed lines around his eyes. He was full of crap, of course. She laughed lightly.

"You're insulting me, scientist. You don't want to do that." She watched as the man's gaze dropped down towards her blasters, tucked firmly against her sides. He gulped. "How about you give me two hundred credits, along with five thermal grenades? And I'll go ahead and leave this thing here on your table?"

The chemist nodded, relieved he wasn't about to be shot. "Deal. Tik? Get this stinger properly stored. And don't touch the venom! Every drop is worth more than your useless self!"

Kastiel was handling the grenades, moving them into the pockets of her pack where she stored such items, when the door burst open and two Imperials actually marched into the shop. Well, one of the Imperials seemed to be marching. He was at least focused and determined, his back ramrod straight as he moved forward. The other soldier was following him, but he was agitated and worried, periodically shooting frightened glances towards the officer in front of him.

The officer strode towards the table, where he plunked down a box. Mako jumped when the box began twitching and hopping as something inside moved and chattered. The young soldier behind the officer was in near tears, even if he did stand there at manly attention.

"Get rid of this … thing." The officer's voice was smooth and melodic, his accent marking him the product of Imperial training galore.

Kastiel actually smiled as he pointed at the box, only because his speech and demeanor reminded her achingly of her own father. That and his coloring, too, with his pale skin and dark hair. The eyes were off, though. Lucian Phyre's eyes had been dark chocolate brown, like Kastiel's own. This man's eyes were actually blue. Dark blue, Kas noted, as the officer shot her a brief glance.

"But … Lieutenant Quinn, sir …" The soldier was stammering now. Kastiel watched him trying to edge around the officer, as if to pull at the box. She wondered what the heck was in there, especially when whatever creature it was began chattering even more as it heard the soldier's voice.

"Shut. Up. Joffries. Not another word." The officer leaned toward the chemist, intent. "I am sure you have something in this shop that can manage to successfully terminate a small … animal-thing … of some kind. Correct?"

The chemist rocked back on his heels. "Are you asking me to euthanize a beast?"

"Is that not what I just said?"

The young soldier stammered again. "You said 'terminate', Lieutenant Quinn. Might as well have told the fellow to shoot him."

Lieutenant Quinn sighed, rolling his eyes. He ignored the soldier. "Do you have some means of dealing with some small animal, or not?"

The chemist raised his eyebrows towards the officer. "Work like that could prove expensive. I'd have to charge you as much for the disposal of the animal's corpse, mind you."

Kastiel almost laughed at the expression on the Imperial's face. The man's soldier was openly tearful now. She leaned closer to the box. "So … what exactly is it you're looking to kill, Mr. Imperial Officer, sir? Lieutenant Quinn, right?"

The man looked at her, his gaze skittering down her frame, taking in her armored appearance. Behind her, Mako shrugged over at him, smiling. "Are you interested in taking on a bounty for the beast? It's quite fearsome. Thus far, it's managed to wreck my mess, chew through several cables, and just this morning knocked over a pitcher of water that ruined a week's worth of reports on several datapads. All this before I even knew it had been smuggled into my headquarters, amazingly enough." He leaned closer. "The lost reports is what allowed me to discover it."

Kastiel couldn't help but laugh, then. Her brown eyes were dancing as she raised herself up to look down into box, carefully pushing the lid aside to see what was inside. The officer frowned as he regarded her profile, then. "Have we met before?" He asked.

Kas shook her head as she settled back down onto her feet, her eyes still twinkling with humor as she looked at him. "You in the habit of taking out bounties against Kowakian Monkey-Lizards, then?"

"Is that what the thing is?" He sighed very dramatically.

"Yep. Highly prized by various nefarious characters throughout the galaxy. The things are highly intelligent. Probably destroyed your datapads on purpose." Kastiel raised an eyebrow at him as the monkey-lizard inside the box began laughing at that.

Lieutenant Quinn shrugged. "I have considered that very possibility. Which is why we're now standing here debating the thing's imminent demise." Poor Joffries sniffled, then. Kastiel thought she saw him wipe a tear away from his face.

She shrugged. "Regardless. No, we haven't met before. Why do you ask?"

"You looked familiar for a moment." He shook his head. "Although it's not really important, I suppose. So … chemist, can you terminate the beast, or not?"

Kas leaned up against the edge of the table. "You do know that Kowakian Monkey-Lizards are highly prized little pets, right? You could sell it for a pretty number of credits."

Joffries almost wailed, then. "He cost me two thousand credits! Two thousand! It was a month's pay!"

Lieutenant Quinn sighed again. "You were probably intoxicated, Joffries. Make a note. Wasting one's pay on non-regulation creatures will only earn you the censure and discredit of your commander. Learn from this."

Kas bit her lip. "Are there regulation creatures Joffries could have spent his pay on?"

"Yes. However, any creature that decorates the mess with the bones of the rotten fish it's consumed during the night is not considered a regulation creature of any sort."

Kastiel hummed. "Well, I'll remove the creature for you, lieutenant. No worries."

He shot her another glance. "Will you destroy it?"

"Nope. But if it helps, it will be relegated to the confines of one of the ugliest starships you've ever set your eyes on."

The chemist intruded on the transaction at that point. "I do believe the officer was discussing termination fees with me."

Kastiel twisted her lips into a snide grin. "Weren't you the fellow talking about higher fees? I'm a professional bounty hunter. I won't charge the lieutenant here a single credit for getting rid of this thing's corpse."

The lieutenant looked at her, his expression deadpan serious. But she could see a slight, even negligible twitch of his mouth, there at the corner. That, and his eyes crinkled at the edges. She doubted anyone else would've noted such changes to his expression, they were so minor. But she realized his amusement was immense, nonetheless. "As the beast has almost certainly sought to deliberately antagonize me, I am quite interested in knowing it will suffer, actually."

"Ah, well then. You should know I will only serve it the worst sort of diet. Plenty of green, leafy vegetables. And fresh meat, nothing rotten or smelly at all." She grinned when the Monkey-Lizard made choking noises from inside the box. "Oh, and Mako here will make a point of pulling its ears at least once a day. Hard." She leaned close to the officer to whisper loudly, "They have the most sensitive ears." She nodded, sagely, when the box began jumping as the Monkey-Lizard became particularly agitated.

The officer hummed, then, as he glanced over at the box. "That means its suffering will be protracted over several long and desperate months. Your solution is acceptable, hunter." He looked at her. "I will not pay you."

She shrugged. "If you don't pay me, I'll name it 'Lieutenant Quinn' and make sure to introduce it to everyone I meet."

Joffries mumbled right then. "Lieutenant Malavai Quinn, to be precise."

Kastiel grinned slyly. "So be it. 'Lieutenant Malavai Quinn' will surely become a monkey-lizard of renown before too long. I'll see to it."

The lieutenant glared back at Joffries. "You will be the one who pays for that, Joffries. Have no doubt." Then he turned back to Kas. "How much?"

"Hmm, I suppose … two hundred credits will keep me from naming it 'Quinn'. I'll simply refrain from introducing it if you pay me only a hundred credits, however." The lieutenant didn't smile as he handed her a hundred credits. She nodded. "Mako, you get to carry Quinn the Monkey-Lizard back to the ship. It's been nice doing business with you, lieutenant!"

She waited until the two Imperials left the shop before she keeled over in laughter. Mako shook her head as she leaned over to mumble towards Kastiel. "Making fun of the most incredibly attractive man I've seen on Balmorra yet is precisely why you're still a virgin, Kas." Kastiel only rolled her eyes, though, and she never stopped laughing.

"I'd just like to see you try and pair me up with that stick-up-his-rear officer, Mako. Not in a million years!"

Edited by Phyreblade

Thanks for the comments, everybody! I won't post the bulk of the next one (still on vacation!) but I've got a free moment.

Prompt - Allies

Title - Grudging Acceptance

Class - Bounty Hunter

No spoilers

"Hey, runt," growled Skadge, "gotta minnit?"

Dha helped Jorgan load his explosives on the gravsled, thoroughly ignoring Skadge as he did. The big Houk stood, arms crossed, in the hangar, his vibrosword strapped across his back and a pair of large heavy blasters riding low on his hips.

"What do you want, or'dinii?" Dha finally asked.

"Iwuz thinkin'. They closed down th' cantina, so I guess I got nothin' better ta do than help fight. Might as well do it 'side someone as I can trust. Whatcha think, runt?"

Dha slowly, deliberately turned. "I don't know, Skadge. Can I trust you to be a member of the clan?"

Skadge grumbled. "Yeah. Sure."

Dha held out his hand. Skadge slowly accepted it.

"Okay," Dha said. "Then let's fight."

Or'dinii: Idiot

Quickie Comments, I promise to catch up the Index in the morning!

Hell yes I do! And I really really appreciate all the work you put into keeping it up to date. You always manage to be on top of it. Thank you!!
You're very welcome, but Kabeone is the one who started the Index in the first place and kept it running until I took it over in late July. She deserves thanks as well.....so thank you Kabe!!!!!

@Phyreblade: Awww, loved it........cute, but smart pets and Quinn getting made fun of is all sorts of win!

"Making fun of the most incredibly attractive man I've seen on Balmorra yet is precisely why you're still a virgin, Kas." Kastiel only rolled her eyes, though, and she never stopped laughing.
Hehe, loved that line!

@Yoshi: GAH!! You snuck one in there while I was typing.....hmmmm, that's a lot of trust on Dha's part. I hope he doesn't regret letting Skadge back into the fold.

Now, gather round kids, it's story time! **please note, I was using the term kids as a term of endearment.....this story is not suitable for children.....not at all!! :eek:

Also, bear with me.....I stink at writing action scenes.....

Title: Baby Did A Bad, Bad Thing......

Prompt: Snatched From the Jaws of Defeat, Enemies

Character: Tiannya-trooper

Setting: Nar Shaddaa

Spoilers: Trooper Nar Shaddaa

***warning: violence and adult themes.....you should know me well enough by now to know what that means! ;)

Groggy and disorientated, Tia slowly regained consciousness. She opened her eyes to blackness, alarmed a little at first, but quickly realized she felt a cloth across her eyes. She was in a seated in a hard chair, her arms and legs were shackled to it. She sniffed the air, not smelling anyone nearby and couldn’t hear anyone in the room. I’m alone here for now……but where is here? Think, Tia, she told herself in an effort to keep calm as she tried to remember what happened, you were getting ready for your date with Jonas…..he was early and you went to answer the door. Wait….it wasn’t him at the door…..it was three males. You tried to fight, but like an idiot, you left your weapon on the bed. Maybe Jorgan was right about you being a rookie…..

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of footsteps nearby. Someone was coming toward her and a moment later, she felt the blindfold being pulled off her head. The sudden light was blinding despite the room being dimly lit and Tia winced as she closed her eyes, disorientated once again.

“So nice to have you finally wake,” a very familiar, heavily accented voice called out, walking around to finally come into Tia’s view, “Ah, Tiannya Valeskanovaya, it’s been ten years since I last saw you. I’d assumed that you and Katrynka had been killed when we blew up the complex your family’s suite was in. I thought my failure had been covered up and was most displeased when I found out a week ago that you two brats survived.”

“It really must be pretty embarrassing to have been bested by two thirteen year olds,” Tia shot back, “but then again, your whole family is a disgrace to our people, Ekaterina.”

“You b*tch,” Ekaterina screeched as she backhanded Tia, “I swear I’m going to make you suffer!”

“Is that really the best you can do?” Tia taunted, tasting blood, “because I’m really not suffering.”

“Oh, but you will,” the other woman sneered.

“Whatever you say,” Tia shrugged, the movement hiding the fidgeting of her hands…..thank the stars they didn’t take my bracelet. “So, I’m guessing Kat missed your artery when she slit your throat that afternoon our parents were killed.”

“She did,” Ekaterina laughed, “but I hear she’s gotten better at killing since then. Imagine my surprise when my littermate, Murghir contacted us that Katrynka was her competition in the Great Hunt. Your littermate is going to pay for killing mine, but at least she was able to get the word out about who Kat really was and the name she was using. Imagine our further surprise when we searched for you with that shortened clan name……Tiannya Vleska, a Sergeant in the Republic’s most decorated Spec Forces squad……until you disappeared on Ord Mantell only to show up later as an Imperial.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Tia replied, her voice deadly calm and full of dark promise, “Republic, Imperial……I’m still going to kill you in the end and enjoy every minute of it.”

“No, I’m not going to die, Tiannya,” the yellow Cathar gave her a cold smile, malice in her orange eyes, “and neither are you……at least not here. After finding out that you turned on the Republic, I decided that once we have your sister, I’ll hand you over to them. Imagine the public shame……after your father was so outspoken against Prince Shange’s idea to ally with the Imperials, his own daughter becomes one!”

“I’ll die before I let that happen,” Tia growled, jerking against her restraints hard enough for them to cut into her.

“I wonder if you’ll get a public trial and execution,” Ekaterina mused, amused at the younger woman’s struggles, “or maybe they’ll let you rot with your disgrace in prison. Now, you’ll have to excuse me, I have business to attend to and need to get word out to your sister that we have you.”

Tia carefully studied her surroundings as soon as the other woman left. It appeared she was inside a storage room of sorts, empty except for a small desk and the chair she was currently sitting in. She was still in her evening dress and heels. Her hands and feet were bound, making it impossible to activate the tracker on her bracelet or do anything to escape. She was sure she was being watched and that the door to this room was likely locked. She had no idea where she was, but she could deal with that when she had to. First, she needed to get those bindings off……nothing she could do about that on her own. Then, she needed a weapon, other than her claws. After that, she could make her escape, but those two things were going to be a big challenge. After running scenario after scenario through her head and coming up with no plausible plan, a crazy idea crossed her mind, an old trick from her cantina dancing days…..stars, it’s so out there that it just might work! Tia sighed, closing her eyes and bowing her head as she began to make her plans.

A couple of hours later, her saving grace came in the form of a young Cather male. Tia recognized him as one of the mercs that had captured her, and given the very similar facial markings, she was pretty sure he was a close relative of Ekaterina’s…...definitely one of Shange’s clan. Tia knew her plan had been successful when she saw him pause after entering the room, a slow smile spreading across his face as he took in her scent. She’d spent the last hour and a half blocking out everything and focusing on some very illicit and steamy fantasies, most of them starring the very annoying, arrogant, brooding, bedroom voiced, sexy Captain Jorgan…..whom, much to her dismay, she just couldn’t seem to get out of her head. Thinking of him certainly did the trick though, she admitted to herself. She was aroused as all hell and aching for a man, but it was worth it as soon as he spoke.

“Well now,” the huge, brown Cathar teased, his voice low, “It seems someone is having her cycle. It must just be starting since I don’t recall your scent being enhanced when we snatched you earlier.”

“Can’t fool you, can I?” Tia rolled her eyes, her frustration obvious.

“Hey now, no reason we can’t be civil,” he assured her, his ice blue eyes boldly traveling over her body, “You can call me Davil and as for your cycle, I’m more than happy to help you out with that.”

“I don’t think my position is exactly suited to mating,” Tia snorted, “but hey, thanks for the thought.”

“Oh, I think it would be safe to unshackle your legs and let you out of that chair for a little while,” Davil told her, “Ekaterina will never need to know. She won’t be back for at least an hour and the rest of the boys are downstairs. I promise you’ll enjoy it.”

“Sure,” Tia shrugged, letting a teasing smile cross her lips, “Why not…..I’m probably going to die before my next cycle anyways. Might as well go out with a bang at least.” Oh, Davil, thank the stars you’re so stupid……it’s almost unfair for you.

Davil unbound Tia’s legs, carefully helping her stand. Then he hastily guided her over to the far wall, leaning her back against it. He gave a husky growl as he eagerly ran his hands over her body, bending down to take in her scent again, nipping her neck as he did so. Her arms were still bound behind her, but she could overcome that. It was a simple matter of waiting for the right moment, which Tia was certain would happen soon given how excited Davil was rapidly getting and she moaned some encouragement to keep him going. In the worked up, impassioned state she was in, Tia was able to allow Davil to kiss and touch her without revulsion, even managing to respond with a low growl when his hand cupped her backside, dragging her closer, pressing her into his blatant arousal as he kissed her deeply. Focus Tia, don’t let your body take your mind over like it did with Fuse….that was a mistake you should’ve never allowed to happen.

She leashed control over her passion driven senses and stopped him when he started fumbling with his zipper, her heated gaze running over his huge body, “No…..I want you naked! Strip for me…..please,” she pleaded in her sultriest tone, licking her full lips as they curved into a seductive smile, “slowly….I want to savor it.”

“Oh, you are a naughty girl…..I like that,” Davil chuckled, winking at her as he slowly began to pull his shirt over his head.

Idiot, Tia thought and as soon as his face was covered by his shirt, she made her move, kicking him in the crotch as hard as she could. He dropped to his knees immediately and Tia spun and kicked out, her narrow stiletto cutting across his face just as he got his shirt back down. Davil shouted in pain as he covered his bleeding eye. Tia backed away while he was still stunned and blinded, quickly dropping to the floor to bring her hands around her backside and over her legs. With her hands now in front of her, she grabbed a blaster out of the belt Davil had discarded in his rush to mate. She was charging the blaster when she heard him shout as he stood. She turned to face him as he staggered towards her, one side of his face wet with blood. Tia raised the charged blaster, emptying it into Davil’s head. He was dead before he hit the floor, but she heard footsteps rushing up the stairs and knew she wasn’t out of the woods yet. As soon as the door burst open, Tia quickly fired, the element of surprise allowing her to drop the first guy before he could fire his rifle, but the second had time to dive for cover. Tia waited patiently, the adrenaline pumping through her cooling her passions a little which allowed her to focus her senses on survival.

Tia’s muscles were tense and ready to spring into action, the whine of her newly acquired weapon told her it was once again ready for the kill and she was banking on the fact that he would eventually make his move. She didn’t make a sound, just patiently waited for him to come in after her and a moment later, her patience paid off. However, she didn’t count on him having a fully charged shield when he rushed in. His shield deflected her blaster bolts and he grabbed her, knocking the blaster out of her still bound hands. Tia was in serious trouble, but her fighting instincts were in top form and she wasn’t going to go down easy. She managed to get him to loosen his grip when she brought one of her narrow heels down onto his foot. She spun around quickly, kicking him hard in the crotch. She didn’t get him as bad as Davil, but it distracted him long enough for her to rip his shield generator off his belt and dive for the blaster she’d dropped. Tia just managed to grasp the blaster when she felt his strong hand grab her leg, pulling her towards him and she charged the blaster, quickly flipping to her back and emptied it into his chest and head. His heavy corpse fell on her and she scooted out from under it.

She took a few minutes to catch her breath, and then began searching the bodies for the key to the shackles on her hands, taking every weapon she found and putting them into a pile. She finally found a key on Davil’s corpse and freed her hands, wincing at the cuts on her wrists from where she struggled against her restraints earlier. She moved her arms, bringing the circulation back and activated her bracelet, hoping Val would be monitoring it. Tia had no idea where she was and was ill equipped to fight her way out of hostile territory. She hoped to get some backup, but she couldn’t wait around forever……she still had a mission to complete. So Tia began taking stock of what she had available in case she needed to make an exit on her own. She’d thought about using one of the dead men’s Holos to contact Jonas or Jorgan with the discovery she made about how to take down Forex, but she had no idea how much of the building she was in was monitored and didn’t want to risk blowing her cover.

She also knew it was only a matter of time before Ekaterina returned and looked forward to seeing her enemy now that they were on even ground. Tia vowed to make that b*tch pay for trying to kill her and Kat ten years ago and for daring to try it again. She’s going to wish she had died that day, Tia thought, a feral look coming over her face as she prepared herself for Ekaterina, thankful she was wearing the short dress that allowed her the best movement for melee combat. It was time to eliminate this threat and hand out clan justice, otherwise Ekaterina would just continue hunting her and Kat down and no way was Tia going to let that happen. No, Ekaterina was going to die, here, now, and horribly.

Author's Note:

I really can see Tia as an SIS Agent......its too bad they don't have that as a playable class. I think it would be a lot of fun.

**edited commentary because someone snuck in a story whilst I was typing.....

Edited by alaurin

Always exciting to hear from the devs! Now, let's keep this ball rolling...

Week of 1/10/2014

You're Invited - Last week we talked about the companions who don't make much sense on our crew. This week let's look at other characters. We meet many NPCs during the class stories, and only some of them get to join our crews. Who would you have brought if the game let you recruit anybody? What NPCs did your character connect with but had to leave behind? Did you headcanon them as companions anyway? These need not be from the class story. Pick anyone and write about why they’re on your personal version of your character’s crew. Prompt courtesy of Striges.

As a reminder, any and every prompt can be paired with What If? to indicate a story outside your main headcanon. After that, if you hit on a noncanon setting that you want to keep exploring in subsequent posts, the Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge thread is always available!

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5223753&postcount=1675.

This week's featured NotLP:

Fame - Your characters all end their class stories with a lot of newfound fame. How do they deal with it? Being recognized on the street, being on the news, finding themselves mentioned all over the HoloNet - it's got to be stressful. Alternatively, what if your characters met another famous person and had to deal with being starstruck?

Comments first!

@Bright, Drunk Wynston reflecting with a ghost from his past is great for getting him to open up more than he’d like.

If only he could take Imperial Intelligence outside the Dark Council’s knowledge, outside their insane control...that was just the sort of impossibility Egrin could prattle about for hours.

Foreshadowing for his future! The idea for his big galaxy-saving organization just seems to build from there.

@DSM, Ooh, what does Fenn'rys have her hands in now? I am intrigued, sir. And I like the way you’ve written the Jedi's interaction with Theran and Holiday. I like to imagine she’s really fighting the urge to roll her eyes at him all the time.

@Phyreblade, Kas is smart! Quinn’s sense of pride would never allow his good name to be used for an irritating pet. There was no doubting that Kas was going to get paid for that job.

@alaurin, Tia’s very good at using whatever she’s got to her advantage — the high heels, the mating cycle, etc.. She would indeed make a good SIS agent, and I think that would be an interesting option to explore.

@Yoshi,

Skadge grumbled. "Yeah. Sure."

That’s probably about as enthusiastic a response as you’d get from Skadge regarding teamwork. :D I love the reasoning that the only reason he’s agreeing to fight is that the cantina’s closed.

So excited about this week's prompt. I've been thinking of this story for a while. Agent spoilers below:

I’ve said this a million times, but I was so disappointed when my agent didn’t get to take Sanju with her after Balmorra. Even a visit or some followup mail would have been nice! Oh well, at least they got to go out for “drinks.”

Prompt: You’re Invited

Title: Why Don’t You Stay

Spoilers: Agent's class quest on Balmorra

Notes: Takes place just after A Night Off. About 1000 words. Also, sexual situations implied, so there's that.

“You sure you don’t want to take me up on that offer? Keeper gave me carte blanche to recruit whomever I want for my little team, and I can promise you it’ll be much more fun than playing father figure to a bunch of terrorists. Plus,” she brought her lips to his chest and slowly teased her way downward. The touch of soft skin and warm breath elicited a moan from the young operative. It was a not-so subtle reminder of what she’d be taking with her when she left Balmorra. “This could be part of our regular duties.”

“Mmmm.” The things that woman did beneath the sheets weren’t even decent to think about in mixed company. And the idea of that being a regular occurrence... It was almost enough to sway Sanju Pyne’s resolve. He gazed at her with wide-eyed amazement. “You really don’t play fair, do you? No wonder you’re so good at your job.”

Kinka smirked and slid back up beside him, curling herself underneath his arm. “You realize you just told me I’m good at my job because I’m exceptionally skilled with my...hands.”

Sanju blushed, quickly searching for a way to backtrack the comment and turn it into something less embarrassing. “That’s not what I...”

Kinka let him worry a moment before laughing, a throaty chuckle, low and suggestive. “I know what you meant. I just like giving you a hard time. No pun intended, of course.”

“You know if I joined your team we’d never get anything done. It’d be you and me in bed all day giggling like teenagers and absolutely infuriating your scary bald friend.”

“I find nothing objectionable in any of that.”

“But the terrorists would win,” he teased.

“They can burn anything they want as long as I’m not around for it.”

“You don’t really mean that.”

“No,” she conceded. “I’m just pouting.”

Sanju smiled, his deep brown eyes crinkling just around the corners. It would be hard to see her go. But it was necessary for everything they both believed in. He gently brushed the hair out of her eyes and drew her in for a long lingering kiss. “I’d go anywhere with you, agent,” he whispered. “But—”

The agent groaned. “No, no no. Don’t ruin the moment with your ‘but.’”

“But I have a duty to the Empire. And they seem to think I’m best suited for this.”

Kinka frowned. “The Empire couldn’t care less about who runs its little operation on Balmorra. If it weren’t you, it’d be somebody else.”

“Wow.” Sanju hadn't expected that sting. He stiffened beside her before shrugging away from her embrace and out of bed. “Good to know how you really feel.”

“Come on, Sanju, don’t take it like that.”

But he’d already pulled on his shorts and was looking for the rest of his clothes, despite the fact that it was his apartment they were in. Kinka grabbed his arm, her grip surprisingly firm for such a small woman, and pulled the young man down beside her.

“Just listen. I may be new at all of this, but I’m not naive enough to believe I wouldn’t be replaced in a heartbeat. I’m only heading this operation because somebody higher up on the food chain has some sick fascination with me. But I know Sith. A lot better than you think. Their tastes change with the wind. Affection and anger are swift and intense, in equal measure. I wasn’t trying to hurt you by saying what I said. To them, you’re a nondescript tool that fills a certain purpose. But if you had been killed when we confronted Gray Star, it wouldn’t have phased them. They’d find the next man in line or they’d get a new plan. That’s not a comment on you, Sanju, it’s just the way they work.”

Sanju was quiet, but after taking a minute to think, he finally relaxed and nodded in grim understanding.

“Come back to bed, we’ve got a couple more hours before I have to go.”

The agent disappeared as quickly and quietly as she’d come into Sanju’s life. He’d never been entirely convinced she wasn’t a phantom drifting through his life, here one instant, gone before he ever really saw her. He was barely older than the agent, but she already had a world-weariness to her. Like she’d seen more than she’d ever meant and hadn’t found a way to really deal with it yet. Sanju knew how dangerous that mindset could be, had experienced it himself working with Chemish and the others in the cell. He’d seen kids bloodied and orphaned, adults blown to pieces — on both sides. Never sat well with him regardless of which side was suffering.

He knew the danger of living so close to destruction. Nearly lost himself in alcohol the first six months on Balmorra. There was only so much horror a person could reasonably stand before it tainted their soul. It took a careless misstep on a land mine and three weeks in kolto to bring him out of the malaise. He hoped the cipher — whatever she’d seen, whatever she would see — wouldn’t need such a drastic wakeup call one day.

She was gone when Sanju awoke, his bed cool where her warm, lithe body had been just hours earlier. The phantom was gone. The only evidence of her existence was a folded piece of paper on the pillow.

Sanju,

I’m sorry to leave you in such a rush, but I’m terrible with goodbyes. We both know you and I aren’t likely to meet again, at least not under such pleasant circumstances as this. In another life, we might have had something fun, something real. In this one we get our one night together. It was a very good night.

You’re going to be great, you know. I wouldn’t have asked you to come along if you didn’t have the skills to do this job well — no matter how good you are in bed. The Empire may be able to put whomever they wish in your position, but nobody else would be right for it. You can make a difference, Sanju. You almost make me believe it’s worth trying.

Take care of yourself out there. I don’t want to hear about Gray Star’s demise for a long time to come. And if you ever change your mind, well, you know how to find me.

—C9

Why Are You Still Here?

For Aranea.

We've seen so many stories about fem Warrior and Quinn, but what if they weren't lovers, but something else entirely? Oh yeah, kinda goes without saying, but major Sith Warrior spoilers.

The ship was dead silent.

No one would make eye contact with me. Every so often, I'd catch someone giving me a pitying look. I cried on Jaesa's shoulder for two days, and then I went to Quinn.

I'd never expected him to betray me. Not him, of all people. I'd thought he was wholly on my side, someone I could trust. Someone I could always rely on to be in my corner. I thought that was the point of him being here with me. I thought that was the point of having family with me.

Looking at my cousin had become like looking at a stranger.

I stepped quietly into his room. He was cleaning his gun and didn't look up at me. I approached him as carefully as possible, but he didn't look up at me. "My lord. Can I assist you?"

"I've asked you to call me Aranea," I said, my voice strained and quiet. "You want to put distance between us, don't you?"

"It's what is proper, my lord."

"You can't break the bond between us," I said. "Nothing you can do can stop us from being family."

He finally looked up at me. "I know that, Aranea."

I realized I didn't like him calling me that any better.

For a long moment, we were silent. When I spoke, I could barely keep my voice steady. "You knew me as a child, Malavai. Your father is my mother's brother. I thought you wanted to be assigned to me because you wanted to look out for me. It's what both our parents would have wanted, I'm sure..."

"I didn't do it for them," he said.

"You did it for Baras," I whispered.

"I did it for me." Quinn set down the piece of his blaster that he'd been working on and picked up another. "I had to redeem myself. You trusted me."

He said it so nonchalantly, like it didn't even matter. I stood in front of him for a long moment, letting the events of the last few months play back in my mind. Malavai had always been connected to Baras, long before I was his apprentice. He'd known Tremel before I had, and hadn't seemed surprised at all when I'd been called to the Academy early. He had known - no, he hadn't just known. He had planned this. He had planned to redeem himself, and to use his own cousin to do it.

"This was all you," I said softly. "From the very beginning, you planned this. You served me up to Tremel as a savior, you made Baras interested in me. Did you even tell him we were related?"

"I never did tell him that," Quinn said.

He wasn't even denying it. I shook my head, unwilling to believe it was true. I tried to shove out of my mind all the memories I had of my childhood, of Malavai teaching me and playing with me, all the happy times I'd had with the closest thing I had to a sibling. I wanted to forget, I wanted to forget him; part of me even wanted to harm him. I closed my eyes and tried to push back against the darkness.

"I'll bring you to your father's house," I finally managed to say.

As I turned to leave, I heard him ask, "You aren't planning to execute me?"

"No," I said, and I looked back at him in the doorway. "I don't harm my family."

I didn't stay to see the look on his face.

notes:

Wish it had turned out better, blah...been a rough day though and writing something helps.

Edited by elliotcat

Comments:

@marissalf, even as a male character I wanted to recruit Sanju–he'd be the best-bro material you don't get with Vector due to the hive-mind situation.

@elliotcat, the warrior and Quinn as cousins? Wow! :eek:

Taking a break from my current over-arching story to write one for the current prompt; I'll come back to my cliffhanger when my vacation's over! :p

Prompt - You're Invited

Title - Come With Me, Please

Class - All Imperial

Taris world arc spoilers

Dha and Mako were prowling the spaceport, Merok and Vector were scanning the databanks, Tran'thar and Andronikos had moved off to find more enemies to kill, and Methic and Jaesa were left standing alone with Thana Vesh at the spaceport's control platform. Thana had a deep scowl–her usual expression, and one that was irresistibly alluring to Methic.

"Well, it seems I misjudged you," Thana said with an air of superiority. "You're not so bad."

Methic grinned. "Likewise, Thana. You held your own."

"Still," Thana added, "you have a rather weak stomach...but I could live with that."

In the Force, Methic heard her say, And live with you. He swallowed the wave of desire he felt.

"You can, you know," Methic said. "Come with me. I have spare room on my ship."

Thana seemed to consider. "No, I have my own conquests." She stepped forward and ran a finger down Methic's jawline. She purred. "Too bad, because you're my favorite."

Methic grabbed her impulsively by the waist and kissed her hard on the lips. Thana poured desire into the Force and returned the kiss. They stood there for a minute and a half, Jaesa walking away blushing, before they came up for air.

"Marvelous," Thana said.

Then she walked away, leaving Methic with only a view of her seductively swaying hips to remember her by.

Someone had to do it. :p

DarthSillyMonkey: I like the interplay with your Consular and Tharan. Nice little nod to chakras in her recentering. The Czerka quest is one of few that covers the same events at (presumably) the same time for both factions. Yet I don't think anyone’s done a story with both sides in conflict over Czerka’s mysterious treasure. I’m looking forward to the rest.

Phyreblade: I can completely see Quinn being willing to spend credits to keep the public at large from meeting Quinn the Monkey Lizard, and at the same time not willing to spend the additional to prevent the thing from being named for him. Much funny, thank you.

YoshiRalphElan: Congrats on recognition! Dha’s test for Skadge might actually work, given Skadge’s personality. Not bad, first to kick Skadge, first to invite Thana.

Alaurin: “go out with a bang” indeed. Clever, clever Tia.

Marissalf: Kinka and Sanju. I do wish he was a possible recruit for the Agent. Love the way you handled why he isn’t.

Elliotcat: What a unique take on Quinn’s relationship with the SW. Really changes the whole dynamic.

About a week's worth of comments. Sorry if I missed anybody.

@DarthSillyMonkey I love that Tatooine quest, your take on it adds extra thought to it. (I'm ashamed to say that if I'm tired and overleveled for Tatooine I punch Grommick in the face :].) Your Drokk'it having an actual good reason for giving Skadge a chance is terrible. I prefer to believe that it's impossible to have a good reason. Argh. Stop that. (The story was awesome).

@Phyreblade Welcome to the thread! A very painful start for your smuggler. I enjoyed the What else do they call you? piece. The biggest SW mystery: What is Pierce's first name.

@Lesaberisa Veresia/Altered States piece. Love the Khem facepalm.

@Striges My love for philosophical debates is intensified when it's between Revan's mask and Keleth Ur's holocron. Khem Val at the end... hahahaha, perfect.

@YoshiRaphElan Yay for finding Vik. Yay. Also, Vik got the drop on Torian, I am impressed. Love the Why Are You Here piece, I'm with Gault, it's 'bout time. And eeeeewwwww noooo not Thana! :D

@Adwynyth Hahah, perfect Ashara piece. Spoiled clownfish. My new nickname for her forever.

@frauzet The first time I played through Trooper I was equally surprised that Jorgan stops being a jerk.

@Magdalane Aww early Corso and Miriah.

@bright_ephemera Your Pierce is just so great. He knows exactly how much to say and when to back down. The Jaesa piece made me very sad but I saw it coming, they had to go their separate ways when Ruth became dark!Ruth, I'm glad you wrote the follow up. The idea of slightly plumper yet still happy Jaesa with twin children running a lightside Sith academy is my happy thought.

I enjoyed the introspective Wynston, I often wonder if he really thought about where the blame lay with the events of chapter 2 and what his take on it was. I wonder what it means if you can make your own mind (his hallucination after all) speechless.

@marissalf D: Poor Ellis! Also love the Sanju piece, he made me wonder what he saw in the Empire. He seemed so sweet.

@alaurin Kat on a rampage! I feel bad for Jorgan though, he really does hate being helpless. And yes! Thank you for the index, it is very helpful for me especially now that I fall so far behind in stories sometimes.

@elliotcat That's a neat possibility. I could see Quinn trying to manipulate events in his favor like that.

Prompt: Shopapalooza

My sniper is always looking for a darker, more subdued outfit. He's regularly wearing a hodge-podge of different drop, earned and cartel market-purchased items mixed with different dye kits. He's still looking for an Imperial ghillie suit, though.

Read: NEED and Imperial ghillie suit for snipers!

There are comments, and then there are comments.

These are just comments.

@Phyreblade: Nice! The thought of Quinn meeting a smarta*s BH before he leaves Balmorra had me laughing.

@Yoshi: And thus, Skadge was welcomed back into the fold... until, y'know, next time :D

Thana Vesh. The woman you hate to love, and love to hate. She would make a great companion though!

@Alaurin: Hmm, I keep looking on my Trooper, but I can't find the "Sex Appeal Attack" button! Loved how she was thinking of Jorgan, even though it felt like she reaaaally didn't want to. Things are about to get dark, can't wait!

@Marissalf: If Fenn'rys wasn't so calculating, I would've dug Sanju... as it was, I think I helped get him killed. I thought he was pretty cool though. I liked the interaction between Kinka and him, and an interesting what if story there, if Sanju had gone with her would it have changed her and Vector getting together?

@Elliotcat: Very interesting take on the relationship between Quinn and the SW. Even more so, as it didn't change much that occured, just the sting afterwards. There are times where I want to like Quinn... but I can't. He's such a bastage.

Ok, quick break from the story in progress to address the weekly prompt, because I'll be damned if the minute I actually sat down and thought about it, a story didn't explode in my head!

Prompt: You're Invited

Class: Bounty Hunter (Drokk'it)

Title: Hutta- Good for Something After All

Words: 3,600 (It just feels so... so right!)

Timeframe: After the end of BH Chap.3, and after the Reaper of Balmorra stories.

Spoilers: Mostly just Hutta stuff for both the IA and the BH.

A wee bit of language.

"She sounded pretty frightened Drokk. What do you think Juda got involved in this time?"

"Dunno. There's a lot of things you can put your foot into in this place." The hulking, long-haired, tattoo faced bounty hunter said as he walked down the shuttle ramp, onto the planet of Hutta. He took a breath and recoiled like someone had just shoved rotten Rodian street vendor food in his face.

Mako grimaced, "I know, right? It's like it gets worse every time we come back. I'll be washing this out of my hair for a week."

The big man looked down at her. "Hey, at least you only have hair on your head. Right now, I'm deciding whether or not I want to smell this for the next seven days, or just shave my face so I can keep my lunch down." He grumbled as he rubbed his gunslinger's beard.

The two walked through the spaceport out into Jiguuna. The town had changed little. Gang members as far as the eye could see, and Nemro's palace to their right. The puke brown sky cast a pall on everything, making it seem dingier than it was... if that was even possible.

"Huh, Nem'ro needs to tighten up his security. More of Fa'athra's goons here than the last time."

Mako gazed out over the town. Drokk could tell where her mind was. She lost the closest thing she had to a father here in this hole. Anytime they came back, she opted to stay on the ship if possible, so she wouldn't be reminded of it.

"We'll visit Braden and Jory before we leave, Makes. I promise."

She gave him half a smile. "Mind telling me why you insisted I come along? I honestly could do without seeing this filth pit ever again."

Drokk frowned, "I know, Makes, and I'm sorry. You know I wouldn't ask you to do this if I didn't need you, but Juda's call said she feared for her life. You and I are the only ones she knows from our crew. She'll feel safer seeing faces she knows."

"Let's go meet her then," Mako sighed, "and get the hell off this karking cesspool. Where'd she say to meet her at again?"

"Tell you what, why don't you head up to Nem'ro's bar, and I'll grab Juda and meet you there." He tried to sound non-chalant.

Her head snapped towards him, and she got a stern look in her eye. "Where, Drokk?"

He knew that look, that tone of voice. Apparently, he hadn't been as non-chalant as he thought he'd been. She knew he was hiding something. Drokk wondered why he even tried anymore.

"Mako, look--"

"WHERE, Drokk'it?"

He sighed and looked away, "The Poison Pit. Back room... where we first met. Your team's room."

She looked for a moment like she'd been punched in the gut. Then her face twisted into a snarl.

"This f*cking planet. I HATE this f*cking planet" she spat, and then started walking off towards the place where everything began.

They stood outside the entrance to the Poison Pit. Behind them, three goons lay on the ground in various states of unconsciousness or pain. They had thought the smaller woman would be an easy mark.

Drokk had stood back while Mako showed them a few moves she'd picked up along her journey. Apparently, she'd picked a few moves up from some dirty smuggler somewhere too.

That guy will be lucky if he talks in a Soprano after that kick. He flinched with sympathetic pain.

He walked up behind her. He could see she was trembling, and he put his hands on her shoulders for comfort.

She leaned her head down and rubbed her cheek on his hand.

"All right. Let's get this over with" she said.

They walked into the bar. Like everything else on this stinking planet, nothing had changed. Mako walked with her head down, and he walked beside her giving menacing looks to those men stupid enough to ogle his wife. They reached the back room where Juda was staying, and knocked on the door.

They waited a few seconds before they heard the door unlatch. It crept open a few inches, but no one came out. He drew his blaster, causing Mako to draw hers, and move to the side of the door. She counted down with her hand. 3... 2... 1

Drokk kicked the door in and rolled into the room. He heard blaster fire and kept rolling.

Mako popped in with some cover fire, allowing him to overturn the table Jory used to sit at, for cover. He heard the blaster fire continuing, but it wasn't paced. It came at random beats, only hitting the desk once. Below the sound of the blaster bolts he heard...

...crying?

He tapped the comlink in his ear, "Mako, back me up. I think our attacker might be more scared than we are. Gonna try talking to her."

"Her? How do you know it's a her?"

"Because I'm pretty sure it's Juda."

"Oh geez, what the hell, Drokk?!" Mako sounded exasperated, and somewhat pi*sed.

"JUDA!" he yelled over the blaster fire. "JUDA! YOU CALLED US! WE CAN'T HELP YOU IF YOU'RE SHOOTING AT US!"

The blaster fire stopped and a meek, sobbing voice that Drokk barely recognized spoke "D-Drokk'it? Is... is that you? Is it really you?"

"Yeah Juda, it's really me. Mako's outside the door. Don't shoot her when she comes in, deal?" he said, still seated behind the overturned table.

He heard the Twi'lek sob as Mako walked in. When he stood up, he saw her on the bed holding Juda, who was sobbing into her chest.

"Shhhh, it's ok now, you're safe. You'll be all right, we're here now. We got you, everything's gonna be okay." Mako looked at Drokk and nodded her head towards the door.

He took the hint, went outside and radioed the ship.

"Torian? Yeah, we're fine. Look, things may take a bit longer than we planned. Do me a favor. I want Treek on standby. Not sure what's goin' on, but it never hurts to be prepared."

"Juda, what happened? Why are you holed up?" Mako sat on the portable cot, next to the Twi'lek.

It had taken some time, but Juda had eventually calmed down. Now she sat with Mako; a hot cup of tea spiked with some earthy liqueur, in her hands.

Drokk leaned against the table across the room, arms crossed over his chest.

"Well," she began, "it started about a month ago. Nemro's palace came under fire from some... some monster! When the alarms went off, and I heard those horrible screams coming from the bar, I... I didn't know what to think, so I crawled under my desk. Part of me hoped it was you" she glanced at Drokk, "coming to give that overgrown slug what he deserved!" the Twi'lek partially smiled, sadly.

"But it wasn't..." Drokk spoke what she was thinking.

Juda shook her head, "No... I was so scared I didn't even want to look. Whoever he was, he took out the entire palace guard, and laughed at every bone he broke, every person he killed."

Drokk grimaced. He knew that feeling. A long time ago, he had been that person. That wasn't him anymore though. Not anymore.

Thanks to a certain girl I met on this backwater stinkhole. I guess this planet was good for something after all. He glanced at Mako, her eyes on Juda as she sipped her tea.

The Twi'lek continued, "Whoever he was, he butchered Nem'ro" her eyes grew wide and her voice started shaking, "and not quickly either. I... I've never heard sc... screams like that. Never heard a Hutt scream like that..." her voice trailed off as she started trembling.

"Juda, it's all right. We're here now. Nothing to fear anymore, okay?" Mako put her arm around the green Twi'lek and squeezed her shoulder.

She looked up at Mako, smiling. "Thank you."

Drokk interrupted the tender moment, "You don't sound like your story's finished. What happened?"

"The killer missed me hiding under the desk. He was like a storm! He killed anything in his path, but left everything else alone... including Toth'lazhen."

Mako looked at him, puzzled. "Toth'lazhen? I don't remember him."

He thought back to the beginning of the great hunt, and shrugged. "I don't either."

"Toth'lazhen was made Nem'ro's right hand after Karrels was killed by the Republic, or at least that's what we were told. He's easy on the eyes, but a bit thick in the head. The type that will shoot his way out of a problem, first. I heard some pirate, the "Red Blade", came through shortly before you did. Did some things for Karrels, before he died, that weakened Fa'athra's position here. Fa'athra got desperate to get his status back, tried to forcibly take Nem'ro's holdings."

"Explains why there was a gang war going on in Jiguuna's streets when we started." Drokk mused.

"Yeah, until after you guys came and went. Your assault on Fa'athra's palace; taking out those three bigshot thugs under his protection, and then grabbing that Republic doctor? It killed his reputation with his clan. He left the planet shortly after the bounty list incident."

"So then, Nem'ro finally owns it all and everything is running smooth, until this unknown assailant comes in and kills him. Which creates a power vacuum in his wake" Mako was piecing things together. "Let me guess, Toth'lazhen stepped in to take control."

"Yes." Juda whispered. "He came to me. Demanded I open Nemro's accounts for him. I told him I didn't have access to the vaults, but he wouldn't listen. He thought I was trying to keep everything for myself, threatened to kill me! I was a prisoner for a few weeks before I was able to escape. I came here to hide out. The owner knew my parents before..."

He stood up and stepped towards the sniffling Twi'lek, "Toth'lazhen killed your parents?!"

Her head jerked up, "What? No! They were killed in Fa'athra's last turf war, before he lost everything. He probably would have though. In a way, it was lucky they died when they did." she said sadly. "After I escaped, I... I just didn't know who else to turn to! I had your comm signal, from the hunt list fiasco, and I... I'm sorry! I just... I was so scared!" The twi'lek started sobbing again.

"It's ok, Juda. You did the right thing" Mako stood up and held out her hand, smiling. "Come on, you're coming with us. Welcome to the Champion's team."

Drokk's eyes almost bugged out, as his jaw dropped. "Makes! Can I speak with you for a second? Alone?"

He watched as his wife's eyes narrowed, "Why certainly, oh mighty Champion who can't pronounce an 'O' sound."

He sighed as he looked up at the ceiling. He knew that tone. Better have Torian set up the cot in the cargo bay again.

He put his arm around his wife's shoulders and leaned in, whispering conspiratorially.

"Makes, she can't hit the broad side of a bantha with a blaster; I'm pretty sure she's not hiding her expertise with a vibroblade; she gets shaken at the first sight of actual violence. How, exactly, is she going to help us hunt? What can she possibly do for us?"

Mako looked at him, smiling sweetly as she firmly patted his cheek, "That's one of the things I love about you. Sometimes, you're sooo fantastically simple." She reached up to kiss his cheek, and then turned around.

Juda stood there, looking awkward, like she had stepped into something private. "I'm.. uh, I just need to get off planet. I'll be fine after that. I don't mean to be any trouble."

"Nonsense!" Mako grinned, "Drokk here was just worried where you'd bunk on a ship full of guys... and Skadge. Now c'mon, let's go."

As they left the Poison Pit, they were greeted outside by a group of thugs. The same three Mako had trounced were among the group.

"Well, well. Look at what we have here, boys! We came to get 'acquainted' with the new folks and we find exactly the lady the boss is looking for. Looks like our payback has become a payout. How's tricks, Juda?"

Drokk stepped in front of the ladies, "Makes, radio Torian. Have him come meet you at the spaceport, and get Gault on the roof of the building covering you."

"Wait, I know that tone, Drokk. What are you planning?"

"Nothing much. Just need to have a little talk with this Toth'lazhen. Y'know, guy stuff."

She rolled her eyes, "Hold on." She produced a datapad and started typing.

"HEY!" the leader of the now bewildered pack of thugs pointed at Drokk. "Are you disrespecting us? No one ignores Sparks of Nem'ro's Elite Guard, and gets to live!"

"Keep your panties on, spanky." Drokk waved at the gang, "I'll get to you in a minute."

"Got it!" Mako said, as Juda and Drokk leaned into view the datapad.

"Wow... I expected... I don't know, more I guess." Juda sounded disappointed.

"That's it?! Doesn't even seem worth the effort, really." Drokk sounded disappointed as well.

"Look, you're going over there anyway. I mean, you could always send in Skadge instead. He gets to break some heads, we get at least an hour of relief from the constant b*tching, and we still get a cut of Toth'lazhen's bounty. Win/Win."

"Did you... did you say Skadge?!" Drokk turned to see the gang leader's face had blanched.

"Yeah, you know him? You guys Black Sun or something?"

"Look, we're sorry. Really, really sorry... bye!" All six of the thugs practically tripped over one another trying to run away.

"Well, that was... weird." Mako said, confused.

"Yeaaah" Drokk was confused as well. Skadge had once been a big boss in the Black Sun, but that was on Coruscant. He liked to talk a big game, but he had nothing now, except his place in the hunter's crew. "Bizarre. Look, I'm taking off. Call Torian, get Juda back to the ship, send Treek. I'll be an hour, tops."

His wife rolled her eyes, "Try not to raze the entire palace, please."

He faced them as he walked backwards down the walkway leading to the bar, "Babe, don't worry! It's just going to be me and Treek."

Mako face-palmed and then looked up, "Y'know, you're right. Let me amend that. Try not to raze the entire town, please."

A few hours... and several body bags and death threats later...

"Ok folks, meet Juda. She'll be staying on with us as our accountant and supply chief. Bounties will now be delivered through her. Be nice to her, she's crew. Ok, that's it. Go do... whatever it is you people do when we don't have a bounty."

"As always, your words inspire greatness in us all" Gault said sarcastically, as he walked up to Drokk. "What was that about? In the past, new crew members got the 'There's your bunk, there's the 'fresher, dinner happens when it happens' speech. Why's the Twi'lek so special?"

He turned to the Devoronian and shrugged, "It was Makes' idea. She thought if Juda got a proper welcome, she'd feel more at home."

"Man, wish Mako was a round when I -- oh wait, she was."

"Yeah, remember? You tried to kill us, we beat you up, you begged us for a job..."

The Devoronian smiled nostalgically, "Yeah, good times. Gooood times. Hey speak of the devilcat..."

Mako walked up to Gault and stuck her tongue out at him. "Gault I need to talk to the big guy here for a second please."

"Eh, he and I were done reminiscing anyway." Gault winked at Mako and walked away.

"What's up Makes?"

"Juda's going to be sleeping with me for awhile. You'll need to hit the bunks, babe."

Drokk's jaw dropped in surprise, "Whaaa...?"

"Drokk, you can't expect her to bunk with strangers she's just met! Don't worry, it'll just be until she gets used to things."

"But this is MY ship!" He threw his hands wide.

"OUR ship, pal. You don't think that I put it in your name only when we sto-- appropriated it, do you?"

He stared at her, mouth agape for a moment then straightened up, knowing he wasn't going to win this one. "Fine," he sighed.

"You have to give up at least one drawer too, so she's not roaming around naked."

"Why would she be naked?"

"Drokk, she has to change somewh... mind out of the gutter, pervert!" she growled, suddenly irate.

"What? I didn't do anything!" he said, blushing.

"Uh huh. I've already disabled the camera feed to the master security console, so tough luck."

"Makes, only you and I have access to that feed. What's with the paranoia?"

"You're a guy, with guy thoughts. You'll just have to trust I'm safe with a cream puff like Juda."

"Can you at least make a video for me then?" he said jokingly... and then wished he hadn't.

Upstairs, Torian, Gault, and Blizz were playing pazaak. Suddenly Torian stood up.

"Did you guys hear that? It sounded like blaster fire... in the cargo bay?"

Gault reached over and tried to peek at Torian's cards, before having his hand slapped away.

One Month Later

"Okay. One C - class bounty payment received. Thirty percent for each of you, ten percent to the ship." Juda smiled and handed Torian, Blizz, and Drokk each a credstick. "Try not to spend it all in one place... or lose it to Gault while playing Sabaac." she giggled.

Drokk walked over to his locker to stow his gear, and looked back at the smiling Twi'lek. She had set up a small desk in the corner of the cargo bay. It reminded him of how he had first met her, back on Hutta. She had adjusted quickly, and was getting along with the crew well... except for Skadge. He wasn't surprised though, he was more tolerant of the Houk than anyone, and five out of seven days, he wanted to flush him out an airlock.

Mako had said the books had never looked better. She was happy to get more time to herself -- now that Juda had taken a major load off her shoulders -- and a happy Mako made for a happy Drokk.

He cleaned up and climbed the access ladder to the top of the ship. As he approached his usual relaxation spot on the hull, he saw his wife laying there, her hands behind her head, knees up, like she didn't have a care in the galaxy.

"Hey, Makes. You're in my spot."

She rolled over to face him, a lazy smile on her face. "Funny, I didn't see your name on it. Tell you what. If you can say my name with an 'O', I'll give it to you."

He lay down beside her, and took up the same position he originally found her in.

"Nah. Spot ain't that special."

"You a*s!" She sat up and slapped him, then climbed on top of him, laying face first on his chest. She rested her chin on her hands as she watched him.

"Juda seems to be getting along pretty well." he said, looking into the Voss sky, watching some clouds lazily drift by.

"Yeah, she's doing ok... do you think I was right, insisting she came on board, Drokk? I mean, we could have dropped her off anywhere, with a decent stack of credits."

"Let me ask you something, Makes. Why'd you do it?"

Mako's head rose and fell with his chest's inhale and exhale, as she thought for a moment.

"I think... because I know what it's like to be in her shoes. She loses her parents; her world turns upside down suddenly; people start hunting her... I was in a similar situation when Braden picked me up on Nar Shadaa. I guess... I guess I felt like I could help her like that, y'know? I mean she doesn't have to stay on if she doesn't like it, right?"

He lifted his head to look into his wife's green eyes, her blond hair fluttering in the breeze.

"And that's why it was the right decision, Makes" he laid his head back. "Juda's a good kid, and Blizz loves her, which makes her OK in my book. Besides, when I first met her, I kinda had a thing for her... then you came along and ruined any chance I had." he grinned.

"Careful, pal. I still have my vibroblade, and Skadge told me that a person will survive if you poke out their eyes" she came up on both elbows and dug them playfully into his chest.

"If you're taking advice from a psychotic Houk, then I say the future of this crew is doomed."

She shimmied up his torso a bit so that she was looking straight down into his face, "I wouldn't worry. Juda and I can handle this crew all by ourselves, y'know, after we dispose of your body."

"Well, you'd both be a damn sight prettier than the current captain, that's for sure." He grinned.

"True, but I don't think she'd look good in a beard" Mako laughed. "Y'know, when we were on Hutta picking her up, all I could think about was how if we hadn't met there, we wouldn't be here. Now. I guess that planet was good for something after all."

He smiled at her, as she lowered her head to kiss him.

"I couldn't agree more."

Edited by DarthSillyMonkey

Prompt: You're Invited

Class: My Bounty Hunter, Kastiel

Title: What's in a Name?

Spoilers: The very ending of the story arc on Nar Shaddaa, so somewhere in the middle of Chapter 1. Hunter is just preparing to leave the planet, when she receives a call from someone asking for an assist. Focused on the Hunt, she's prepared to give this one the middle finger salute. Until he mentions ties to family. In this case, there's some tie-ins to the Imperial Agent story. (Kastiel's brother is my Operative, Khyriel)

Note: I published this in my Bounty Hunter story on Fanfiction.net, but I scrubbed it, here, mostly for language and suggestive "looks".

Kastiel wrapped the fibercord rope around the steel girder that supported the balcony extending over the ledge she was perched on and secured it with a grappling hook. She attached the rope to the harness that circled her waist before looping it down and around her thighs. She leaned over the side of the building, glancing down.

The darkness of the lower levels was thick and heavy, reaching up towards where she stood. The bright lights of the casinos and cantinas barely touched it. Then Kastiel shook her head, leaning to look at the circular opening just below her. Bilge water spilled from the hole, the filthy sludge sliding down the building somewhat thickly, leaving behind a dark brown stain that extended far below the hole itself.

"Crazy piece of work. Insane, even." Kastiel muttered, facing the building before sliding herself over the side and carefully lowering herself. She talked to herself as she maneuvered herself into position. She secured herself against the side of the building, using hooks against the edges of the hole to hold herself in place. Then she steadied herself, placing her booted feet against the sides of the opening. She peered into the inky black hole and listened, grunting when all she could hear was more dirty water sliding down out of the hole. "Figures you'd be late. Gods, this stinks."

Kastiel looked away, panting through her mouth to avoid the stench emanating from the sewer in front of her. She breathed quietly as she waited, concentrating, thinking. That's when she heard a small shift, the tiniest of sighs as someone inside of the sewer moved. She looked into the dark depths, straining her senses. She eyed the the connections on the rope and her harness, before leaning back once again.

Then there was a rush of swill spilling from the hole, splashing over her boots so that Kastiel grunted unhappily. She always seemed to get **** caked onto her boots! Dammit! She snarled. That's when she heard the smooth, hurried tone of a man calling to her through the dark hole, his voice echoing, "Catch me!" Kas grunted as she heard the sound of a body sliding roughly down through the hole, just before a man burst from the dark, falling against her form suspended there, his dirty arms flailing to catch her.

"Gotcha!" Kas gripped the man, yanking him up against her armored chest, clinging to him. He groaned, raising his legs to wrap them around her waist and burying his face against her shoulder, hanging onto her desperately. "Hold fast!" Then Kas looked up, eyeing the ledge she'd levered herself from. She tapped the controls for her jet pack, smoothly rocketing towards the ledge and lowering her burden against the surface there. "Move it! Not much time, now."

To his credit, the man didn't hesitate. He flung himself into motion, helping her to yank and pull the ropes loose from where she'd secured them, before stuffing the materials into the pack she slung across her back. He lowered his head when Kastiel flung a cloak over his shoulders, then he pulled the hood up and over his head. She began trotting along the ledge, not even looking to see if he was following her. When she reached the wall that overlooked the street below, she waved a hand towards him, glancing up and down the walkway. But there was no security, no guards rushing along the way, no soldiers or other sort of law enforcement. Only the same lost souls so common to these more obscure and lonely sections of Nar Shaddaa.

Kas grunted, motioning towards her companion that he follow her as she jumped down onto a thick overhang before tumbling down towards the street. She landed easily on her feet, moving quickly even then, only glancing to see if anyone was watching and not surprised when she saw several loiters disappearing into the shadows rather than continue observing anything she did. In Nar Shaddaa, seeing the wrong thing at the wrong time could result in a hefty bounty. Kastiel, her armor splattered with muck, even though her blasters gleamed against her hips, was studiously ignored as she rushed along the way.

She finally ducked through a doorway that lead into a narrow stairway. She hurried up the steps, the man still following along with her. Then she rushed down towards a small door, thumbing the lock and listening to it disengage, before she hurried inside the small, relatively tidy room. Kas pointed. "Refresher, in there. Get cleaned up. I brought clothes." She didn't watch him as he ducked into refresher and activated the cleaning stall. She spent the brief minutes he was inside the stall cleaning her armor, rather. When he emerged, she thrust a set of clean clothes at him, motioning him to dress. Then she stumbled through the same process, washing herself carefully, before thrusting her legs into a pair of clean pants and yanking a clean shirt over her head.

He watched her. His eyes were dark, slanted. His gaze moved against her figure, showing slight, negligible interest as she covered the bareness of her creamy-skinned torso. His manner was one of preparedness, an assurance that certain things, while worth looking at, were not so much for a real having. There simply wasn't time, basically. That, and her entire demeanor seemed to shout, "Don't even think about it." He knew she was sizing him up, considered him more a threat than anything else. Only because she was at least as smart as her brother. And that one was sharp as a razor. Even if he was misguided.

Kastiel grunted suddenly. "How'd you know? About me?"

He shrugged, looking away, out the nearby window, watching as one of the kiosks slid by. "I followed the links. Follow them back far enough, and you can be found easily enough." He turned to face her again, his gaze going serious and terrible. "They're not interested enough to look for you. Not yet. It won't be long, though. He's becoming ... important."

She glared at him. "I'll be strong enough long before they think to try. But they'll use him up in the meantime. Then spit him out."

"Yes. As I indicated earlier, they've already taken the first steps."

She huffed as she pulled her armor back on, buckling the chestplate into place. "I'm not sure how the heck you plan on stopping them."

"I'm not sure I can, actually."

"Then what value to me are you, really?"

"I'm the only one who has any chance of saving him. I've already put measures into place. I'll know when it happens. But I make no promises. If I fail, he'll probably die. If he doesn't, he'll be ... ruined. Broken beyond hope of repair. There won't be much left of him if I fail." He looked at her, his head inclining softly. "It's up to you, whether you allow me the chance to help. I might save him."

"You might not."

"Indeed."

She stared at him, her brown eyes burning with fervor. He marveled that such a feminine creature could look so much like the man he'd worked with until very recently. Their eyes were the same, at least. "If you fail, if he dies or they break him like you say, then I'll hunt you down."

"I make no promises."

"But I do." She leaned forward, her fingers smoothing against the handle of her blaster. "No logic to it, no rhyme or reason. Just that, if I get you out of here, you save him. And if you don't, I'll hunt you down. You won't like it if I do, either. It's as simple as that."

He gazed at her, wonderingly. "You truly care for him. Remarkable. I have so little understanding of familial ties, bonds or feelings. My ... siblings, if you can call them that, never cared for me. Nor do I care overmuch for any of them. I wonder if it's a question of our breeding."

Kas just stared at him, nonplussed. Then she shrugged. "He's my brother. That's enough. We understood, then?"

He nodded.

"When the time comes, you'll let me know."

"Why? You won't be able to help him. Could do more harm if you tried, even."

She shrugged. "Doesn't matter. I'll know. It's important. Do you understand?"

He shook his head. "Only that it's important to you."

"That's all you need to understand, though."

"Well, then. I understand."

"Good." Kastiel tucked her blasters against her hips. "Then let's get this show on the road. What're you called, by the way?"

"I've gone by many names. Faces, too, actually. For you, though?" He smiled slightly. "Call me X."

Some comments real quick:

@Darthsillymonkey: I adore Quinn. His stiff brusqueness demands teasing at every opportunity.

@Kabeone: I have always thought the Smuggler's snark has to have a rhyme or reason. In a lot of ways, Gaibriel's humor becomes a shield that he hides behind. Heaven forbid you know, really, what kind of worries and fears he's hiding way down deep. 'Sides, it's more fun to laugh, right?

@Striges and Alaurin: That monkey-lizard becomes a real weapon in Kastiel's arsenal, believe it not. Gault's completely taken down by the little rat. Literally.

@Marissalf: She sized him up pretty well, huh? lol

I'll go ahead and work on something new for later on in the week. Thanks, all!