The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Comments:

@Adwynyth: I forgot to comment before, but I had massive giggles when reading your Health story. Broonmark was hilarious and Vette taking off to pilfer anything she could carry was great! Also,

He winced as she touched the blaster burn on his shoulder. "Bring 'em on, I'd prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around."
hehe, snuck in some Han in there. Love it!!

@Magdalane: I could never get tired of Miriah and Corso and I loved their thoughts! Corso is definitely the type to fall hard very quickly.

@Stirges: awwww, I am so glad Haraz shared her song with Vector, it took a lot of trust on her part and was very touching.

@Yoshi: hehe, I loved your Culture Shock piece....that is definitely going to take some explaining! :D

@Kabeone: I loved Doc's interpretation of Remi and Scourge's first meeting and

"I like being touched by darkness," she replied eagerly.
*wink, wink* I'll bet she does....:p

@Bright: I love Nalenne and

"So you're going to memorize my inventory. Then you're going to monitor…whatever it is you monitor–"
teehee, I can so picture this...

@Lesaberisa:

I had much to learn about my new Dashade friend.
Indeed...Khem listening to jazz, love songs, and club music......nice! Love the collections piece for Olympia as well!

@Leonara: I think I like Doc a little now that he has a knack for making clothing! Also, this

'I'm going to get a drink.' I turned and marched out of his room and up to my quarters. My doctor is currently down stairs making clothing with my girl.
made me giggle!

Replies:

@Stirges:

@ Alaurin: I’m more of a jewelry person, but I understand. Bella waving goodbye to her excess shoes was a nice touch.
Thanks! Getting rid of stuff is never easy, no matter what and Bella is the type that will miss her shoes dearly!

@Kabeone:

@alaurin I like the friendship you have between Bella and Aric and the resolution for that awful quest. Didn't seem like it should be so easy to just get bitten and walk it off. Risha and the shoe collection was very funny. Even though in real life I don't collect shoes at all, I've found in game I can't seem to throw any moddable gear away!
Thanks!! That Taris mission never sat right with me either.....ok, I just got bitten and infected by a rak, I report to a droid that runs a scan, and that is it?!! Oh, and I can't throw away any moddable stuff either! :)

@Marissalf:

I sympathize! But ice cream after the deed is done would make things slightly better. And there’s always the fun of rebuilding the collection to look forward to.
Ice cream is definitely a mood lifter and thoughts of rebuilding her shoe collection is one of the things that enabled Bella to get through the purge!

@Lesaberisa:

@alaurin - Ice cream, a girl's real best friend. I like your Risha (and I liked the friendship she/my smuggler had too) and she has good taste in comfort food when it comes to dark days.
I know some people don't like Risha much, but I always saw her and Bella as two peas in a pod! They are very good for shenanigans, especially when it involves Mallay!

Maybe I'll write more dead!Quinn sometime...wait, no, bad! Less Quinn!

There is no such thing as less Quinn. He expands exponentially. :D

I quite agree, my lord.

Oh crap, who let you in here?

I heard my name called...

That wasn't you. That was another Quinn.

I see...I'll just be off then. *exudes an air of

NO! DON'T DO IT!

noble tragedy*

*sigh* I would have to write one of those. (The "Sith Happens" version from the AU thread.)

Spamming the continuing stream of not-really-related stuff across Wynston's timeline. Here, sometime in the Act 1-2 break. No game spoilers. 400 words.

Wynston finished combing his hair on the walk from the 'fresher to the conference room. "Vector," he said briskly when he arrived, "Sevarcos?"

"Sevarcos," agreed the Joiner. "We dropped into orbit just ten minutes ago. Do you know anything about it?"

"Sure. Home to a devastatingly talented security guard, killer legs, blonde hair you could swim in. Didn't know how to pick colors for her complexion, but then, no one's perfect."

"Is that all you noticed?" Vector sounded tolerantly amused.

Wynston arched an eyebrow. "No. Sevarcos II, an Imperial penal colony. Only habitable world in the Sevarcos system. It's the only known source for the spice variants carsunum and andris, and we deal more than half a billion credits a year via the mines on the surface. The entire operation runs on varying degrees of corruption, but nobody has yet come up with any incentive to clean it up. After all, the spice comes up and the credits come in. And the prisoners die, usually well before their sentences run out; Sevarcos isn't a forgiving place."

"We...see."

"Ugly, but I don't think we can fix it today. As for the job, our contact on the ground doesn't sound like he'll be of much use, but we'd better start with him. I had time to review his file this morning."

"And here we thought you were sleeping in after last night's outing."

Wynston shook his head. "I'm not quite so lightweight as I look. Don't tell Kaliyo. Mornings are for studying; I haven't really 'slept off' an entertaining night on work time in a very long time."

"Sobriety enhancements?" They were available as permanent modifications; chemical balancers or tiny machines in the bloodstream to neutralize recreational drugs.

"Stars, no," he said. "Only one-shots. When I'm drinking I'd rather feel like I'm drinking, I'd never go for a permanent installation." It would render the use of alcohol for stress relief impossible. Wynston didn't even want to think about that prospect.

A few heavy uneven steps sounded in the hallway; then, with a slightly more normal gait, Kaliyo stomped in. The bags under her eyes practically matched her black lips. It had been a late night, after all.

"Kaliyo," Wynston drawled, "you look terrible."

She pulled off one heavy boot and threw it at him. "Kriff you," she said. "What are we gonna shoot?"

Not at all related, Allies on Voss; no spoilers. Wynston and co. met Ruth and co. on Alderaan for a joint op; Wynston met Ruth one-on-one on Quesh. Not like that, just talked to each other and helped with a quest. Now, Voss. 500 words, no spoilers.

Wynston settled down to dine in a Voss tea-house with Vector, Jaesa, and newlyweds Ruth and Quinn. Ruth seemed impressed that Wynston knew the owners; he didn't bother telling her that he could make or fake a friendly contact anywhere on half an hour's notice if he had to. Anyway, Kaliyo opted to spend the evening elsewhere, which seemed to put Ruth at ease; conversation was easy and pleasant due to several factors: Vector's cordiality, Jaesa's friendliness, Ruth's charm, and her hound's silence.

It was by an accident of refresher runs that Wynston found himself alone with Ruth for a few moments. She was relaxed in his presence, and more confident in her skin than she had been when they'd first met. She had grown, and not in a bad way. "It is good to see you again," she said. "We didn't really get a chance to talk on Alderaan or...you know."

"Quesh," he said for her. A memory he would just as soon never return to. "No, we didn't. I can't thank you enough for your assistance on both planets."

"I'm glad you're looking better."

"I'm glad I'm feeling better. Work hasn't really slowed since then, but it's been less personally punishing." He half smiled. "You look happy yourself."

"I am happy."

"I'm glad. We've come a long way from Nar Shaddaa, haven't we?"

Her brow wrinkled. "Is there subtext here I'm missing?"

"Oh, no, not at all. I didn't mean to imply..."

Her smile warmed away any possibility of ill feeling. "I'm glad you kept in touch. After what by all rights would have been a one- or four-night stand. I'm…a little surprised you did."

"I'm glad I had the chance to keep in touch. Relationships change terms all the time, Ruth. Trust levels, time together, physical aspects. I'd have to be an idiot to cut ties with you just because the physical side no longer made sense. As it happens, I like you."

She glowed. "Thanks. I like you, too."

He smiled crookedly. "I do hope I can still say that you look fantastic. Happiness agrees with you."

"Thank you."

"Never waste your time on anyone who tells you anything less."

She gave him a look that he struggled to interpret as warning. That was probably what she meant by it. "Is that commentary?" she said, her voice suddenly cool. She knew what he thought of her self-important prat of a husband.

He raised his eyebrows and kept his voice even. "I never said he didn't say those things." The look on her face told him all he needed to know; he hoped she would think about it. She deserved better than a droid. "Now then. Do you think we can pressure Jaesa into trying the vla-na?"

She took the bait. "If you can get Vector to sample it I'm sure she will. I thought it was nice, personally."

"Yes, but I think we all agreed that you have odd tastes." She didn't ding him for that one. And he could resist additional such barbs if he had to. Honestly, it was nice just to have a friend around. A strong Sith ally, yes; but more importantly, a friend.

(Sort of apropos is the Alternate Perspectives where Ruth, Wynston, Quinn, and Kaliyo comment on each other's relationships.)

@bright

There were potential allies that could be useful, and then there were potential allies he truly wanted.

"And I am here, to give you, what you need."

eee, I love Wynston and Ruth, even if this Wynston is not capable of more than sexy business dealings... all for the Empire of course.

Then you go and

It would render the use of alcohol for stress relief impossible. Wynston didn't even want to think about that prospect.

D: I know he won't admit it in this universe but that dude is hurting somewhere, possibly wherever Kaliyo hit him with that boot.

@Lesaberisa

some sort of romantic melody, with the singer crooning about her heart would go on and on.

So is Tulak Hord Jack or Rose? I loved this. For the collections piece was it wrong that I imagined that Iresso had some how obtained the goofy mood at the end there? :D

@Leonara haha of all the things Doc would hide :D

Prompt - Do the Math

Title - School

Class - Bounty Hunter

Takes place at least a year and a half into the future; Dha's daughter would be about two years old here.

Dha sat in front of Crysta, across the kitchen table from her. The tiny girl, eyes wide as plates, looked up at her father with a smile on her face. Dha melted whenever he saw that look. Or any look she gave, practically.

"Okay," he said. "Math. The Mandalorian numbers, one through ten: solus, t'ad, ehn, cuir, rayshe'a, resol, e'tad, sh'ehn, she'cu, ta'raysh."

Crysta counted slowly. "Uh...solus, t'ad, ehn...cuir, rayshe'a...resol...e'tad, sh'ehn...she'cu, ta'raysh." She beamed.

"Great job, Crysta."

"Thanks, Boo." She walked over and hugged him.

Dha melted again.

Prompt - Life and Death

Title - Memories

Class - Trooper

Chapter 1-3 spoilers

Prudii crossed his arms and looked down at the unmarked gravestones. He knelt, pressed his hand to one, and then the other.

"Mom, Dad," he said, "I miss you."

"You've done well, Prudii," his dad said, from behind him.

Prudii turned, faced the specters of his parents. They were both clad in the Mandalorian armor they'd worn in life, but now they shone, polished by an eternity in the manda.

"Thank you, dad," he said.

"You brought honor to us by bringing the Havoc traitors to justice," his mother said.

He nodded.

"And destroying the Gauntlet, and arresting General Rakton," his dad added.

Prudii smiled. "Thank you. I have some others to visit. Goodbye, mom. Goodbye, dad. I love you."

He left his imagined parents behind, wishing he could see his parents for real, one more time.

He looked down at the graves of the soldiers he'd served with over the years–on Balmorra, Hoth, Quesh, Belsavis, and others–and saluted. The soldiers–imagined, but nonetheless real–saluted back. Prudii stepped back, turning to his wife.

"Come on, Elara," he said. "Let's go live our life."

Edited by YoshiRaphElan

@ Striges,

Reading your story with Kinka and Vector shook this one loose.

Yay! This makes me happy. *shakes the Striges tree for more good stuff*

@ sthrift, Striges beat me to it, but yeah, totally not cheating. :)

@Lesaberisa Ahahaha! Khem’s flimsy excuse is priceless. And drawing 2V’s attention is definitely a worse fate than being eaten by a deshade.

@ Leonara, Doc would be the type to leave his door open just so someone might catch him changing. I can imagine it now *shudders*

@Bright, Happy that the muse settled on Wynston! The observation that Watcher Two would know something wasn’t quite right from missed banter is spot on. And this says much about the way things tend to go in the Empire:

He wasn’t quite sure where a creature like her did belong. Dead, he feared. Someplace bright and influential, he hoped.

And on another note, there is no such thing as too much Quinn (just, uh, don’t let him hear that) :D

@ Yoshi, Aw, Do the Math was so sweet. And Life and Death was really touching.

NotLP: Worst Day Ever

With Rissia (SW) and Quinn

Spoilers for the Act III incident. You know the one.

The words coming out Malavai Quinn’s mouth may as well have been Huttese. They were duplicitous and cruel, and Rissia didn’t understand a one of them.

“Baras is my true master.”

She checked herself for visible wounds, something that would explain the burning pain in her chest. There was nothing. Fitting, since her heart had been emptied of its capacity for kindness about thirty seconds prior. The sting of betrayal felt inexplicably unfamiliar to the Wrath. She’d been betrayed before — that was as common as breathing in her world. But those betrayals did little to shake her; they were expected to come at many points along the way.

Quinn’s was a punch in the gut that came in the middle of the night. He was her husband; she’d shared everything with him — late nights of stories from their youth, strategies for vengeance against old enemies, plans for their future together. Her very body and soul.

And it wasn’t enough for him.

Rissia clenched her fists and inched away from her husband as the elevator slowly made its descent. One floor passed, then the next. Not nearly fast enough.

She was still seething, and he hadn’t stopped graveling from the moment the last of his droids collapsed into a sparking pile of bolts and scrap. His face upon defeat was priceless. Had it been anyone else’s Rissia would have taken holovid footage to enjoy during the holidays.

But it wasn’t anyone else. It was her husband. Fear had oozed from every pore, cold sweat glistening on his brow. With his big metal protectors gone, nothing stood between him and her wrath.

“My lord,” he quivered, invading her thoughts with his clipped, hurried syllables, “if I may-”

Rissia resented the interruption. “You may not, captain,” she replied curtly. It was all she could no not to try to choke the life out of him. Again. The first time, immediately after he lamented his defeat, had been satisfying for a moment. Cathartic even. But she knew that would be of little comfort in the years to come. Quinn had no idea how lucky he was that she’d had grown since they’d met. No longer a mad dog with designs on bathing in the blood of her enemies, Rissia was rational when it came to doling out punishments.

But it was Quinn’s punishment that vexed her as they drew closer to the ship. The problem was that she still harbored a bewildering sense of affection for the worm. Perhaps that, she thought, was what really had her on edge. I can’t trust him, but I also can’t drop him out of the airlock as I’d like. I’d...miss him. Kark me. She shuddered at the weakness. But it was more than that. There was loneliness at her core that tugged her insides when she considered her future.

Quinn stood in obedient silence, but it was clear that he was dying to plead for her mercy yet again. It wasn’t enough that she’d promised to leave him alive. That was the difference between them; Rissia kept her promises.

She wrestled with her simmering rage, conflicted over how to handle her traitorous lover. She was unwilling to give him up, but it had to be made clear that betrayal would not be tolerated. They walked in silence through the winding corridor on the lower level of the transponder vessel, clicking boots punctuating the deadly silence. Rissia stopped abruptly, no longer able to hold her tongue.

“Listen up, captain. I’m only going to say this once. As I told you when you regained consciousness, I will be merciful. But this is how things are going to be. We will maintain this sham of a marriage as you have destroyed any trust necessary to fall in love again, so congratulations on that. I have no desire to experience another letdown. Further, you will give me children so that my legacy will continue. In public, you and I will conduct ourselves as we always have. I will not have the crew looking down on me. And frankly, if they were to find out what you’ve done, I’d have to hurt them to stop them from killing you. I’m not willing to do that. What do you say to this?”

Quinn’s words spilled out in a torrent, and Rissia immediately regretted tacking on the question. “I-I am honored that you would still want me, and for children. I...”

Rissia tuned out his blathering, still unsatisfied that the lesson had been learned. But there was one more thing she could add that might throw a little weight behind her words.

“You know, I kept Vette’s slave collar,” she mused, bringing the captain’s nervous chatter to a violent halt. “Some people wouldn’t, but I did. Do you know why I kept it? For a rainy day.” She drank in his fear, felt every quickening beat of his heart, listened as his breath caught in his throat. “It’s looking awfully cloudy outside, Quinn.”

“My-my lord. Please, I-” He fell to his knees, his voice rising half an octave. A smirk played at the corners of Rissia’s mouth. She wondered if the quivering was because he was afraid of being shocked or rather horrified at the indignity of a slave collar. Probably the latter, she thought.

“I only said it’s cloudy, stop trembling.”

After a moment, he composed himself and stood to his feet, then resumed his apology assault. “Thank you, my lord. I swear my loyalty to you. Only to-”

She cut him off, unwilling to listen to any more of his prattling. They were only words to him anyway. Hollow little words that carried no weight at all. But hers did. “Make no mistake, Quinn. If I even get the slightest feeling that you’re out to betray me again, it’s not going to rain. It’s going to pour.”

She let him stew on that threat as they waited at the airlock, but as Rissia neared the ship’s entrance, she paused, one more barb to sling his way.

“By the way, I thought you should know. I’ve been sleeping with Pierce,” she said coldly, her voice devoid of feeling. It wasn’t true, not yet, but that hardly mattered. Pierce was the captain’s sore spot, and the easiest way to wound him.

Quinn’s face turned eight shades of red — the whole spectrum, from crimson to magenta and everything in between — but Rissia hadn’t seen it. She kept her back to him, fighting a flood of angry, heartbroken tears. She’d held them in the entire way back to the ship, and she’d be damned if she let him see them now.

@Marissalf: I have chuckled and shuddered often during conversations with Doc...he is certainly entertaining. My heart broke a little reading that. *Hugs Rissa*

Thanks guys for the feedback. I love reading your writing.

@YoshiRaphElan: Oh you...sniff sniff...Very good job at packing a lot of emotion into such a short peace. Good job Prudii!

(related to Warrior Act 3 spoilers)

"Do you know why I kept it? For a rainy day.” She drank in his fear, felt every quickening beat of his heart, listened as his breath caught in his throat. “It’s looking awfully cloudy outside, Quinn.”

I really liked this.

Now, a trio that ends the burst of Wynston ideas.

First, a brief oblique bit of To Market, To Market, post-game for Wynston. No spoilers. 500 words.

Wynston had labored under too much stress for too long. He was more than ready for some R&R in Kaliyo’s company. And their exchange, one going out in a stupid outfit if the other did first, had finally, after considerable negotiation and one interminable pub crawl in a half-done-up jumpsuit, resulted in Kaliyo finding and slithering into a red dress that had left Wynston dangerously close to speechless.

That pub crawl went on too long, too, but for different reasons. She was a dream in crimson and ivory, and for once it really did bother him to see her shimmy up to strangers on the dance floor. He put up with it. He even bit at some of her purring efforts to get him to show some jealousy. He did not, however, buy her drinks when she demanded them.

"What?" she said at that, sounding both amused and genuinely surprised. "I thought you were nice to things in skirts."

"I like them. I'm not always nice. Couldn't you get Hands there to buy?"

"Think I will." And then she was off again.

Eventually, finally, she announced boredom and walked out, every motion a pulsing song. In the taxi she played coy for about ten seconds, let him in close, then slammed him back again, just for fun; he took it more sloppily than he needed to because she liked thinking he was drunker than she.

Stupid games, or so he had thought once. She made it worthwhile. Distracting her more savage instincts, getting her to play along, it had come a long way from the unwelcome assignment it once had been. The voice naming her disaster had been fading day by day for a long time now. And Kaliyo was still very near.

The beat of the nightclub still pounded in his head. It played in the sway of her hips as they stepped onto the ship. She turned around and walked backwards in the hallway, facing him, and grinning widely at his disinclination to meet her eyes. “So if I do this again, you’re taking the jumpsuit on the job.”

He continued studying her figure. “Not on your life.”

“We had a deal, agent.”

“We had a deal. You’re making that clause up.”

Later than he usually stayed out, heavier than he usually drank, worth it just for the sight of her, for the knowing velvet slide of her voice. Kaliyo was an unpredictable goddess, but she chose him more nights than not; that was a reward Wynston never tired of.

She backed into his quarters, turned slowly, strutted toward the mirror. Wynston followed close and tripped her onto the bed.

“What are you–”

His head cleared with the direct prospect of pushing her further onto the mattress. If she had a problem with his assertiveness she knew what to do about it. “Kaliyo, it may surprise you to hear this, but for once in my life I’m not interested in talking."

Failure; 1000 words. Takes place no more than a couple of weeks after the previous one, so shortly after Kaliyo's departure from Wynston's ship. Spoilers for Kaliyo's conversation line.

Wynston held still as he woke up. He mentally inventoried – wearing nightclothes, poorly rested, no injuries as such to speak of – headache, a little muzzy, dry mouth, nothing some water couldn't fix – surroundings, his own bed, thin but comfortable mattress, standard-issue sheets – no unusual scents – no noteworthy sounds – but, an absence. Inventory: No Kaliyo. Never again Kaliyo.

He blanked the thought out and sat up. Nothing surprising here. Goodbye was part of the job description and he knew it. That was all. He had awakened without– without, plenty of times before. He blinked at the half-empty bottle on the nightstand, thought about taking more of it, changed his mind, and transferred it to the cabinet. No use drinking when he had a job to do. He was a professional, after all. The thought stung a bitter laugh out of him. He was a professional, and he'd better sweep all signs to the contrary out of the way.

Yesterday he had gathered her possessions from the floor of his quarters and dumped them in a laundry basket. He would have to dispose of all of it. He would keep some of her guns; solid equipment, she'd had good taste. The rest might as well be consigned to deep space on the next trash ejection.

He had a job to do, and so he dressed, poured himself a large glass of water, called the crew including a couple of guests from Intelligence to the conference room, and laid out the plan he had thought up late last night. Sleep had come later and later since he'd left her, and left him less and less rested every time. Maybe the bourbon contributed. But it blunted the impact as well. Hard to say no to that.

The job was a fairly complex infiltration and sabotage. Part of him wanted to just blow the problem up. That was her talking. How many times had she persuaded him to pick a fight, or take the quick and dirty way out?

How much had he destroyed because it made her happy?

He wanted her near, her velvet-sex voice, her quick rages, her startling field skills, her unbelievable body. He wanted her here, criticizing, hitting, biting, purring, gasping, laughing, anything at all so long as it was her.

Instead he went on with the mission briefing.

This was familiar territory: bring up maps and blueprints, describe the security measures they would have to overcome, assign roles. It was easy. It was…not mindless, but familiar enough to leave a part of his brain free. He tried to ignore that part's wordless gnawing.

"And Temple," he went on, "you'll be on slicing duty for the door access."

"Understood, sir."

"As for keeping the front gate occupied, the distraction's a job for–" He recognized where he was going too late to prevent the sentence. Now he cut short. "You two," he said instead, pointing at the agents Keeper had provided him. "Remember, we want something to occupy several cameras at once."

"Yes, sir," they both said.

He navigated the rest of the meeting as smoothly and quickly as he could. He was looking forward to getting this task done and then finding something to drink. A lot of something to drink. He could deal with problems on his own, obviously, but the alcohol made things easier to manage during the waking moments work failed to fill.

He could go out tonight instead. Find a woman, a stranger, someone charming, someone with – with long hair, a body more soft than muscular, a feminine scent, a gentle nature. He just didn't trust his composure to hold; he could leave a lot of himself behind when he was with a new girl, but this was different. This pain in his chest might rip through at any time, ruin his composure, ruin his ability…well, his ability to do anything at all. Sometime soon he would find a new temporary girl, but not today.

The job had him taking a shuttle with Vector. The Joiner looked even more patient than usual as they settled side by side in the cockpit.

"From all reports security on location is sloppy," said Wynston. "Getting around them should be easy enough."

"Of course," said Vector.

"I've just upgraded my blaster pistol. We may have to see it in action."

"We have no doubt it will serve."

"Indeed."

Wynston shifted to one side.

"I have high hopes for the newcomers," he said. "If they do well here I'll probably ask for them to be transferred into my division."

"A good idea," said Vector. "They come highly recommended."

"Yes."

Silence.

"Wynston…" Vector didn't look at him, a mercy Wynston appreciated. "We are certain you are ready to work. We do understand that it will take a little time to adjust…she was a part of our team for a long time."

Part of the team? The agent provocateur, the wildcard, the problem; hell, the murderer outright. The one he had stupidly defended against everyone else's doubts, had readily bribed to keep her here and happy. "We're better off without her," he said, forcing the words past a lump in his throat. "Do you think I don't know that?"

"We know you cared for her."

"I always knew she would leave." Even if that hadn't prepared him. "We're safer and saner this way."

He wanted to apologize for…for everything he had done under Kaliyo's influence, every bad idea, every callous moment. For thinking he had her under control, for letting her sell out the Empire's people when she sold secrets to her terrorist friends. For not seeing it coming. For being stupid enough to think her eventual betrayal would target only him, and then for failing to kill her when her treachery came to light. For feeling the way he did about her, the feeling now galling at his insides, the one he would give anything to turn off. He wanted to apologize for all of it.

But it was done, in the past. Everything about his relationship with her was. Today he had work and tonight he would go back to someplace safe and private to take the edge off the pain. There was a lot of edge to work on.

Deadly Sins: Gluttony, I think. Lack of Temperance? Blunt Talk of Alcoholism? Note that after Kaliyo left, Wynston called Ruth and got summarily rebuffed (since Ruth was reeling from her own spoilers). So anyway, he goes about his job for multiple weeks...no spoilers in this passage. 800 words.

"There," said Wynston, pointing at the holo map. "Simple enough." He fumbled his pointer and dropped it.

It rolled toward the only other person in the room, Vector, who stepped on it to arrest it. "Agent," he said as Wynston stooped to pick it up. "We've been meaning to speak with you."

"Oh?" The Chiss grabbed the pointer and stuffed it back in his pocket as he stood.

Vector's nostrils flared ever so slightly. "You've been drinking."

"Just a little warmup. It won't be an issue."

"You intend to go into the field while you are under the influence?"

"The influence is under me. I'll be fine."

"Agent...Wynston...we do not think that that is the case."

Wynston shrugged and made for the door. Vector moved to stand in the way. Wynston stopped short and glared up at the Joiner. "Are you going somewhere with this, Vector?"

"Yes. Ever since Kaliyo's departure you have been...divided, your aura uncertain. You have been drinking as if to drown the difference."

"So what? It's not much more than I drank while she was here."

"We had our concerns then as well. It's excessive. We are worried for you."

Wynston's brow twitched and tightened. "Vector? Don't do this. Don't bloody do this." Not on top of all the stress he already had. "Have I ever led you wrong? Have I ever screwed up on the job because of it?"

"You missed the shot on Ko Vanden, days ago. He escaped when we needed him silenced. Was that intentional?"

"It was a long shot to begin with."

"The Wynston we know would never have missed. What is more, he would not have lied on the after action report."

Wynston's stomach slowly turned inside out. "I kept the report simple," he said in a low businesslike voice; "we didn't need to cover every detail as long as the upshot was there."

"You went on the job impaired, Wynston, and falsified your report to save face. We can see no guarantee that you won't do it again."

Wynston's eyes blazed the clearest red they had been in weeks. "And why are you spying on me anyway? You're the only karking friend I have left and now you're turning on me too. Are you thinking of selling out like Kaliyo did? Or spouting continuous meaningless orders like Keeper? Or just about-facing like Ruth? Like everyone?"

"We do not intend to abandon you. But you walk a dangerous path, and we must warn you that if you continue there is a price. One that you may force others to pay with you."

"Others will deal. They always do. This isn't your problem, Vector."

"It is. Not only as someone in the potential crossfire, but as your friend. We hear the dissonance of your song, and we are sorry for the pain you are in. But this, the drinking, is not the solution."

"It's the only solution that doesn't bloody move when I reach for it!" As soon as Wynston said it he realized it was true. He tried to pass by Vector; Vector moved ever so slightly to block him. "You'd think if you were my friend you'd have the beginnings of sympathy."

"We do sympathize–"

"No. Don't tell me you know anything about this, about loss. You haven't been alone, not since you had your Joining. Your bloody bugs keep everything, every memory, every–" his lip curled, the words kept spilling – "love. You don't even know what it is to look in the mirror and see no one but yourself. I don't have your bloody magic song, Vector. I only have me, and I'll take care of me any way I have to." Somehow he was shaking.

"This is self-destruction," Vector said earnestly.

"So I self-destruct. That's my prerogative. Sod off."

"We cannot stand idly by. Please, you must know that we care for your wellbeing. Your song can come back in tune, in time. You must hold on until then."

His words ripped out of his chest as the last of his patience snapped. "Kark your song, kark your auras, kark your preaching, and kark your bloody opinion on how my life should go! We've got a job to do, so shut up and fall in."

"Perhaps a sobering stim to counter–"

"Shut up." Wynston shoved Vector to the side, the contact sudden and violent and strangely final. He shoved the Joiner away and stalked out, his hands burning where he had struck his friend. His head swam as he moved, his eyes especially, but he could keep himself together for the job. The job needed him, and nothing would keep him from it. Especially not the flask weighing heavy and reassuring in his pocket.

Edited by bright_ephemera

And on another note, there is no such thing as too much Quinn (just, uh, don’t let him hear that) :D

I agree so entirely :D

Thanks for all the replies on my last post. :)

On the comments front... I enjoyed everything as usual, but Bright: :( for Wynston and Vector.

NotLP: Affection, Discoveries and Confessions

Class: Smuggler (Audra)

Words: 1300ish

No spoilers. Set on Voss though directly after the last post on Audra.

Audra stops to look around the reasonably large hall. Exit, exit, exit, Audra thinks as her eyes move from one closed door to another.

'Feeling a little lost, Captain?'

Audra looks to her right to see Corso leaning against the wall a few metres away.

'Captain Audra is never lost, thank you very much,' Audra prudently corrects.

Corso chuckles and pushes off the wall to join her. She watches Corso as with teasing eyes that hide a deeper emotion as he narrows the distance between them with a dozen steps. Audra has only ever thought she was going to die twice in her life. The second time was down on the plains of Voss but she didn't think about it then. She only thought of trying to keep the man next to her alive and that if she were to die on that hill in or in those ruins, then he might as well. What kept her leg moving through the Nightmare lands was only the fear of losing him. Her fists clench and she tries to hide the still raw fear that clutches her chest at the memory of what is to her only a day ago.

Corso offers Audra his bare arm and she weaves her arm through his.

'Lead the way then, Captain.'

'With pleasure,' Audra archly replies. She begins to stalk down the hall to the right but stops. She turns quickly on Corso which almost makes her pony tail whip Corso's cheek.

'Look, Corso-' Audra begins not really knowing where she's going with the rest of that sentence.

'It's ok, Captain,' Corso gently cuts in. He's like a butter knife, Audra thinks distantly. Blunt and gentle but with enough pressure and time, it can cut through even the toughest steak. Aura shakes her head at herself and her metaphor. You must be hungry when you start thinking of yourself as a steak, she thinks wryly.

Corso reaches hesitant but comforting fingers out to meet hers and slowly wraps them around hers.

'It's ok, Audra,' Corso repeats with eyes as warm and comforting as hot cocoa.

Audra's smooth fingers tighten around his for a moment before slipping free. She isn't good at holding on.

'Of course it is. We're always ok, Riggs my boy. We're immortal, remember?' Audra smiles as she quotes herself and Corso smiles back. 'Now, where the bloody hell is an exit in this place?' she demands as she turns around again and looks at all the identical doors.

'I thought you never got lost, Captain,' Corso teases.

'Only when you're not there to show me the way,' Audra soberly replies. She bites her tongue as punishment for saying it.

The swelling that Corso feels in his chest at her words isn't something overt. The stronger beat he feels his heart take isn't something that could be recorded. It can only be felt by him and he tenderly smiles at his so very much alive Captain. He can't stop being thankful for that and he can't stop feeling sorry that something that happened to him endangered that.

'This way, Audra.' Corso takes her hand again and slowly leads her to the slightly wider and taller doors at the opposite end of the hall from where Audra was heading.

Audra stops in the door way a moment to take in the fresh air and bright sun. She never realised how strong the wind was until she was locked away from it. When she is sure her first step won't be a stumble, she takes it. Audra looks around and gathers they on the other side of the city from the hall.

Corso tugs her hand gently to tell her to keep walking. She knows where to go now but she enjoys letting Corso lead her through the brown streets.

'I thought for a while you wouldn't be there,' Audra abstractedly remarks.

Corso looks down at her in surprise and slight confusion. 'Be where, Captain?'

'Next to me.' Her accent slips when she talks like this. It was there earlier, Corso remembers. He never thought he would feel this way but he's almost glad to hear that Imperial accent. It's the voice of his real Captain after all.

Audra looks to the sun and smiles. 'To show me the way, keep me on the straight and narrow,' Audra jokes with a laugh. 'To make sure I never get lost again.'

'And I'll always be here, Audra,' Corso hurriedly assures.

They don't speak as the skirt through a group of young Voss talking. When they are relatively alone again and without the threat of separation, Audra speaks again.

'Don't make promises you can't keep, Riggsie,' she jokes with solemn eyes. She already knew a man that made promises he could never keep. He died trying to keep one.

The moment passed and couldn't keep up with them: it was lost in the crowd in streets past and Corso can't guess when it will find them again. Audra's words sting and deflate him because they say exactly what he knows deep down. He can't assure her that neither of them will never fall in combat. That's already been proven twice now. All he can do is try his hardest every day to make sure that doesn't happen.

'Maybe I shouldn't, Captain, but I'll always be trying my hardest to make sure I am here with you.'

'I know, my faithful puppy, I know.' Audra pats his shoulder and walks a little faster.

'Don't, Audra.'

Audra falters in her step for a moment and can't re-catch the rhythm. Her feet stop and she stares at the tanned man who stopped behind to her in disbelief.

'What?' Audra dumbly asks.

'I said "don't", Audra. Don't keep trying to keep my at arm's length. You either want me and respect me as a man or you don't.'

'Corso-' Audra begins but she cuts herself off. She has nothing to say. He isn't wrong and there isn't an excuse. It shakes something in Audra to see him stare at her with irritated defiance. She knows he is in the right but that doesn't change the strange uncertainty and fear she feels at Corso's trembling fists or the firmness in his eyes.

'I- you know how I feel about you, Captain and if you give me a chance to make you happy you will never regret it but for that to happen, you can't say things like that and then disrespect me a moment later.'

All she can think to say is his name. She can't find the key that she hid that unlocks what comes after 'Corso'. What is it that she can't say? She has no excuse. She has been treating him with disrespect. She hasn't been consistent or considerate. She's been patronising and derisive. She's been trying to keep him close and far away at the same time. Fluctuating between the two can't go on any longer.

'Not exactly lady like behaviour, is it?' Audra finally lets out with a wavering smile.

The wind picks up and blows her pony tail across her face. When it falls again, her smile isn't there anymore. If self sabotage was an art form she would be a master.

'It isn't going to work, Captain,' Corso firmly answers. He steps closer to her and looks down into her green eyes. 'I aint going anywhere no matter how hard you try to make me.'

Corso's arms are warm as they wrap around her. His warmth seeps through his shirt and into her. She feels his muscular, firm torso press against her cheek and her ear hears his strongly beating heart. It's rhythm is loud but gentle and assured. The heart of an honest and good man is what she thought it sounded like. No, Audra thinks with a smile as she presses her cheek and body closer against Corso's. It's what the heart beat of the best of men sounds like.

And now what I was building up to....

Prompt: Collections!

Class: Smuggler (Audra)

Words: 1600ish

Spoilers: minor act three spoiler at the end. Set a few weeks after concluding Voss.

'Audra, what's this?'

Audra looks over to where Corso's voice came from but can only see the heel of a foot. Audra flops back onto her back and makes a questioning 'hmmm?' sound. She stares at the ceiling and moves her legs and arms in and out from her body leaving the crinkled imprint of an angle in the sheets.

'I miss Alderaan,' Audra sighs. 'I miss snow.'

Corso reverses out from under the beds shade and drags a small oak box with him. Corso frowns across to his captain.

'As long as you don't miss anyone from there, Captain,' Corso warns with slight petulance.

Audra fights back the desire to laugh at the farm boy as she turns her head to look at him. 'I told you it was only a dinner, Riggsie.'

'I know, Captain, but that's one dinner more than he deserved.'

Audra rolls on her side and pats the space in front of her. She smiles in the way Corso likes and he moves to sit on the bed next to her, taking the box with him. Audra rests her head in his lap and runs her fingers up and down his thigh absentmindedly.

'So my heroic farm boy, what are you doing with that box?' Audra teasingly inquires.

Corso looks down at her and strokes her soft black her with one hand and shakes the box with the other. Audra slaps his thigh and Corso exclaims in shock.

'What did you do that for?' he whines as he rubs his leg instead of continuing to stroke her head.

'There are delicate things in there, farm boy!' Audra exclaims back as she sits up.

'What things, Captain?' Corso asks in a quieter voice rubbing his leg. He doesn't need to look at it to know there's a red mark that will stay for a little while.

'Just... stuff.' Audra stutters back.

Audra looks possessively at the box and considers snatching it from his suddenly clumsy and destructive hand. Corso notices the glare directed at his fingers and slowly and carefully put is back on the bed.

'Alright, Captain. I'm sorry,' Corso apologises.

Audra gently reaches out for the box and runs her hands along its sides as if there are engravings tell her something personal and special. Audra pulls the fallen strap of her night dress back up onto her shoulder. Corso knows that look and he knows not to speak or move. She'll snap out of it soon. As if right on cue, she smiles up at him tauntingly as she gently places the box on the bed in front of her.

'I sent you down there for my socks. Are you sure you don't need your eyes tested? Because a box doesn't look or feel like socks,' Audra lightly jokes. The lines are forced but things forced come so easy to Audra now there is little difference between the forced and unforced. On the outside, that is.

'Sorry, Captain, I wouldn't have touched it if I thought-'

'I had anything personal,' Audra finishes with almost a sneer. She shakes her head and sighs, feeling the cloud of anger leave a little. 'Sorry, Corso, didn't mean that. It's not a secret it's just...'

'Delicate?' Corso offers. She nods and he opens his arms to her. She slides over to him and nestles in his chest. She lets his heart beat soothe her and smiles at the small kisses Corso plants on the crown of her head.

'Come on, Riggsie,' Audra rallies as she presses off his chest and sits next to him. 'I'll show you what's in my Pandora's Box.'

She reaches across the bed and brings it between them. She carefully takes off the lid and many strange strong smells greet Corso's nose. Corso can't see everything in the box as most is hidden by a shred of paper. Audra takes the paper off first and shows it to him.

Corso stares at the paper trying to figure out what it says or what the meaning is.

'Is that...?'

'The list of safety checks that are meant to be conducted before taking off,' Audra confirms. 'A pilot thought it was cute that a little slave girl wanted to know how to fly and he told me the first thing to do was check it's safe to fly. Never follow them of course,' Audra adds with a devious smile. 'But I wrote them down at midnight on the first New Year I spent at the spaceport.'

Audra puts it to the side and Corso watches her fingers caress each object and the very air around them. She takes out a shot glass.

'Second year at the space port.' She holds in front of her as if assessing the quality of jewel. 'New Years and the glass I had my first drink from.'

Corso smiles gently at her as he realises what fills the box. 'Audra, are they all-'

'From New Years nights? Yep,' her voice cheerfully clarifies. 'It just started as a coincidence and then... I wanted something to make me remember each year and night and who I was with, what I did. A little girl started the collection but here I am, a few years off thirty with a box full of useless objects that I don't stop adding to.'

'They aint useless, Audra,' Corso assures. His hand catches her gentle fingers and holds them. She squeezes his hand and then lets it go. She always holds him tight before letting him go. He doesn't doubt that one day she won't let go.

'Well,' Audra begins as she shrugs as if to shrug something off her shoulders. They still slump a little and her strap falls down again leaving a little bit more of her chest bare. 'I've got one from the first New Years we spent together.'

'Really, Captain?' Corso asks in half-horror, half-eagerness.

'Yep, Riggsie.' Audra moves a few things gently in the box and then takes out a holo. She presses play and to Corso's mortification, a holo recording of him and his friends on Ord Mantell chasing rontos appear.

'Captain, I thought I lost that.'

'Nope, just gave it to me while really drunk. Don't tell me you can't remember that night?' Audra smiles sadistically and doesn't stop the recording. She will save Corso the embarrassment of knowing that every time she feels sad or lonely she plays the recording and remembers that night. Her laughter has awoken an angry Risha more than once in the past.

'I do, Captain. Well, most of it,' Corso corrects which only earns him a frown. 'I remember you asked if I had ideas for fun and then I was kissing you and then apologising-'

'Leaving a very disappointed me behind. Amused but still disappointed none the less,' Audra clarifies with a laugh. She leans over her box and brushes her lips on Corso's.

'I think you still haven't made that up to me,' Audra teases as her lips seem to be everywhere to the still mortified Corso.

'Haven't made it up to you, Captain?' Corso asks as he comes back.

'Not at all,' Audra whispers.

'Better change that then,' Corso replies with a small smile. His hands gently cup her waist to pull her closer but she shakes them free and her lips fly away leaving bare, lusting skin behind.

'Later, farm boy. The best is still to come.' She winks at Corso and turns off the recording. 'Do you remember our second New Years?' Audra asks seriously.

'Of course, Captain,' Corso assures. 'It was only a few months ago.'

Audra takes out a used candle that is striped with green, white and black.

'The party we threw you on Coruscant,' Corso says with a smile. 'We'd just finished up on Hoth.'

'And you bought me an ice-cream cake to celebrate leaving it,' Audra adds.

Corso chuckles and shakes his head. They sit for a while looking into each other's eyes and remembering that night. Audra would like to think times were better then but despite her leg being undamaged, she wouldn't visit the past. Not when the now and the future are looking so much better. Not when she has him.

Audra takes Corso's hand. 'Corso, you know that I-'

The holo terminal goes off and the aggravating ring that carries a sadistic cheerfulness echoes through the ship. 'You know that I love you,' Audra silently finishes.

Audra and Corso both look to the closed door and then to each other again.

'You've got more clothes on than me, farm boy,' Audra pushes with a grin and gestures with the candle to her body that is only covered by a small white slip. 'It's your turn.'

Audra takes her hand from Corso's and begins to place all the objects back in the box. Corso kisses her cheek and then moves off the bed to find a jacket to put on. When he leaves, Audra takes out a small greasy screwdriver and holds it for a moment. Her eye catches the credit stick that is stained with blood that she couldn't get off. What were you thinking? Audra thinks to herself. Why were you about to say that?

Corso rushes back to the room but stops from bursting out who it is when he sees the Captain's back shake. Corso looks over his shoulder to the passage the leads to the holo terminal and stops hesitating. He knocks four times and calls softly to her.

Audra's back doesn't snap back to straightness but more gradually reaches it. Audra packs the items away and closes her eyes against unshed tears. You decided to move on, Audra reminds herself. Commit to that, you little coward.

'Let me guess: no rest for the wicked?' Audra asks with a laugh.

''Fraid not, Captain. They've found him.'

Thank you all for all of the kind comments on my short story. I've had a couple more ideas lately, so I thought I would write up this really short story. It's not much, but I think it describes how the bounty hunter class would be feeling after a while.

Prompt: Culture Shock

Title: Our Little Family

Date: At the end of the Belsalvis Bounty Hunter class quest.

Spoilers: Minor companion spoilers (just listing the five companions) as well as minor Belsalvis spoilers.

Burzek walks the deck of the D-5 Mantis, listening to the chatter coming from all sections of the ship. Blizz could be heard tinkering with a weapon of some sort in one area, Gault was busy talking to himself about the ideas for his biography on Tyresius Lokai. Lastly, Torian and Skadge were having a heated discussion on Mandalorians. Skadge was busy putting down the Mandalorians, not favoring the honorable warriors, whereas Torian was busy defending his clans.

"It's as noisy as ever, I guess," Mako states, making her way toward Burzek. "With Skadge joining us, it's going to get even worse,"she adds with a hidden dose of uncertainty in her voice.

"Our little family is growing," points out Burzek. "How much do you want to bet that we are the only crew with a Jawa, a Devaronian, two humans, a Zabrak, and, now, a Houk?" asks the Zabrak hunter, a playful grin gracing his face.

"I'll let you know after I run a search on all known crew members for the five hundred ships that were last docked on Belsalvis," points out the slicer.

"That would be cheating and you know it."

"I don't see you trying to stop me." Mako smiles at the hunter, turning around and making her way back upstairs. Burzek thought about stopping the girl, but he enjoyed their push-and-pull.

Yes, their little family was growing. Force knew who would be added next.

-RGC

Hello all. I was reading through this thread, and all these great stories inspired me to try my hand. Critiques are welcome, and I hope you guys enjoy this a bit.

Prompt: Alternate Perspectives (Kid, Mako)

Class: Bounty Hunter (Drokk'it)

Words: 1450'ish

Spoilers: None really, maybe Chap.1 Companions?

So here we were, again, at the park and watching Vret pick on Xavier and his dorky pals. They could avoid this if they would just keep their FORCE:THE AWAKENING games inside their room or something. I don't really like this all that much, but in this neighborhood, you're either Vret's pal or Vret's victim, so me and the other guys choose the former.

Speaking of victims, it sounds like Xavier's really going to get it today, Vret's really laying into him. Must be 'cause there's nobody here except those two over on the bench, some big man with the long hair and... what is that? A gunslinger's beard? OMG, 1974BTC called, they want their facial hair back! Wicked tattoos though. Must be one of those "Cartel" guys I always see in Dad's holos. The girl next to him is pretty damn cute, though she has something on her face. Seems waaay to young for him... and now the beating starts. I feel for Xavier, but like I said, if they'd just play that game somewhere no one would see...

"I'm a hacker, not a psychic, Drokk. Why are we sitting on our butts at a park when we're so close to catching up with that bastard?" Drokk'it lazily tilted his head and looked at me out of the corner of his eye. "And are you just going to sit there and let that big kid bully those other kids? It's not right!"

"Relax Makes. Tarro Blood ain't going anywhere. Besides, we gotta catch our bounty here before we can get to him, and for that we need intel." Drokk closed his eyes, tilted his head backwards, put his arms up and kicked back on the bench.

It's like he's on a beach or something. Unbelievable.

"Okay, first? My name's Mako. That's M-A-K-O. I can spell it in Trandoshan if it'll help you remember, you big ape. Second, we've been here for 30 minutes now, so if we're waiting for a contact, when's he supposed to be here? And third, if you don't get up and go say something to that bully, I will."

Drokk's a good guy, but it sometimes seems like he just doesn't care about anything. It's annoying. Well, he's not moving, better go help that kid.

"Sit down Mako."

Whoa, major attitude shift. What the hell?

"Look, if you walk over there now, it does nothing for that kid. Sure, it stops today, but you ain't around tomorrow or the next day. The bully comes back, and he comes back harder because he was humiliated. Kid don't learn to stand on his own feet, then he don't gain the chutzpah needed to stop this guy. Besides, you're out in the open out there. We're working against other hunters right now, remember? Too dangerous. I need you with me."

Wait. What??

"uhhh... y'know, to win this thing!" Drokk sat up and scratched the back of his head

That... that's the first time he's said anything like that to me. Wait, is he turning red? Damn you Drokk, just when I think I've got you figured out.

"Well, Great Hunt or no Great Hunt, we can't just sit here and let that kid... oh geez!! Drokk, that bully is gonna beat the crap outta him! C'mon, do something!"

"Mako, do you trust me?"

"What? What the hell does that have to do with that kid getting beat?!"

"Do. You. Trust me? Answer the question."

"Well, of course, but Drokk we gotta stop th--"

Holy Wampa riding a Jawa through the Jedi Council, the kid just clocked that bully!

"See? Now who's whooping who something fierce, eh?"

Is Drokk grinning? Weird, he looks like a Dad who's really proud of his kid. Wonder what kind of Dad Drokk would be... ohmygodwhatthehellamithinking! Mako that's so wei.. Wait, where's he going?

Gundark balls! Xavier's kicking the crap out of Vret!! I should stop him, I mean I'm sort of Vret's friend, right? He looks so angry, so... violent. Actually, I want to run right now. Vret's out cold and Xavier's still beating the hell out of him. He's scaring the hell out of me, and it looks like I'm not alone. All the other kids look like they're about to pee their pa... oh poodoo, the big man on the bench just got up. He's walking over here. He doesn't look happy. Ohpleasepleasepleasedon'tkillme! Oh man, oh man he's staring at me, at all of us, was he really that big when I first saw him? Is he wearing armor? Is that a blaster?!! Oh gundark balls, he is Cartel! We're SO dead. So, so dead. Lords, I gotta pee..

The big man turns and picks up Xavier by the back of his shirt and turns him face to face. Damn that guy is strong, he's holding Xavier up with one arm! HOLY POODOO!! Xavier just hit him in the face! Oh man, soooooo dead. He's gonna kill us all. He's gonna blow a hole in our--

"Hey, kid. Pick up your friend. He's bleeding... oh, and give me your shirt."

What? Wait, is he talking to me? No way. Yes way. Do I answer? Should I yell for help? Should I play dead?

"Not getting any younger here kid."

Right! Shirt's off and here you go. Please, I have a family. They'll miss me terribly. "H-H-Here you are...sir."

"Thanks. Now tend to your friend, he's bleeding. Friends help each other when they're bleeding, right? Or maybe you're not his friend. Maybe you're just scared of him beating you like he did the little man here."

He was pointing at Xavier, but it was like he was looking at me. Inside me, actually. The lady he's with is standing on the edge of the group, just watching. The look on her face is scaring me. She looks worried. Reaaaally gotta pee now.

The big man looks at us, then looks back at Xavier and uses my shirt to wipe the tears and blood and snot off his face. I hadn't noticed he was crying while he was beating on Vret. "Listen up, little man." he says to Xavier..

"you did good. That bully ain't gonna bug you no more, but what you did to him, after he was down? That ain't right. Look, the best manner of avenging one's self, is by not resembling the one who injured you, so you gotta ask yourself: are you going to be strong and stand up for the weak guys, or are you going to be like this bully and beat up weak guys like him?"

The big man set Xavier on his feet and handed him my now snotty, bloody shirt. "C'mon Mako. He ain't gonna show with this commotion", he says to the girl as they both start walking off.

We all just stand around looking at each other. Not one of us is helping Vret up. I look at Xavier. He seems taller now. Bigger. Wonder if he'll teach me to play FORCE:THEAWAKENING..

"Ok, so what was that? 'Best manner of avenging one's self is by not resembling the one who injured you..', really? How could you say that with a straight face? And where did you even hear that? I've seen most of your books, and they aren't appropriate for kids that age "

Drokk looked over at me grinning "Remember that space port we stopped at to gas up before we got here? Remember that lousy Devaronian restaurant take-out we got?"

"Gross. Why would you make me remember that? Stupid Gault and his ideas of 'culinary delights'. Hey, didn't that come with a..."

"Force-Shan cookie. Apparently, someone's making a killing off that 'Jedi Master Bastilla Shan says...' crap. Jedi have to be killing themselves for not thinking of it first, but yeah, heh, that's where I got it."

Drokk's grin says he's pretty pleased with himself. Doesn't take much for him... but I gotta admit, I'm impressed.

"So what made you stop that kid anyways? You seemed pretty satisfied when the tables turned and that kid jumped the bully."

"Makes, just cause I got the line off a cheap dessert mass produced in Nar Shadda doesn't mean it ain't true. Besides, if a Jedi can jump in and say something profound and change lives, why not me? I'm not just a guy who beats people for money, y'know"

Ok, thug or decent human being, pick one and quit surprising me, dammit!

"For the 1,492nd time, it's MAK-OOOOOOO. Say it with me, MAAAAA-KOOOOOO. And second, you're scarier than a Jedi. Much much scarier. No offense, big guy."

"None taken. Now let's get back to the ship before Gault decides to order take out again. I swear, he has some kind of grudge against my intestinal tract."

Edited by DarthSillyMonkey

@Yoshi, I like Prudii's conclusion to his Life and Death. After you've paid your respects, living your life is the best thing you can do.

@Eversteam I'm terribly fond of Audra's habit of addressing Corso by ridiculous things, like Riggs my boy and Riggsie. I know he hates it, but I like it anyway. I think it's cute.

@RatchetGuyClanks Of course Mako knows exactly where to look to win that (rhetorical) question.

@DarthSillyMonkey, welcome to the thread! This was a fantastic piece - but I wonder is FORCE: THE AWAKENING a Magic: The Gathering card type or a Mage: The Awakening tabletop-dice type? Plenty of bully beatings available for players of both, I fear. The kid's terrified POV was funny, and the "Force-shan" cookie was a scream. Plus, the whole thing illustrates plenty about Drokk'it. Nicely done!

@ DarthSillyMonkey, Welcome, and great story! Love the alternating perspectives between the characters, very interesting to see Drokk’it though someone else’s eyes. Also, Force-shen cookies...fantastic!

@ Eversteam, Audra’s collection of mementos from each New Year’s is a really cool idea. And I love this description:

Corso gently cuts in. He's like a butter knife, Audra thinks distantly. Blunt and gentle but with enough pressure and time, it can cut through even the toughest steak.

@ Bright, Ow, ow Wynston & Vector! :( A hard thing for Vector to say and even harder for Wynston to hear. His downward spiral is hard to watch, er, read (but in the best way). Lucky for him, if anyone’s going to forgive his surly, self-destructive behavior, it’s Vector.

@ RatchetGuyClanks, I really enjoyed this story, a nice kinda warm, fuzzy moment for the BH crew.

Prompt - Best Day Ever

Title - Sweeping Victory

Class - Bounty Hunter

No spoilers

Dha dodged the blaster bolt that rolled by him as he jetpacked through the sky. He landed softly on his feet, blaster in hand, and cooked a hole through a Nikto mercenary's head. Another merc tried to jump on his back, and he fired his jetpack, incinerating the man. He threw the body–what was left of it–aside.

So far, so good, he thought. Solid intel, good initial contact, minimal casualties.

He grabbed a mercenary–a scrawny man in a helmet that probably was made for a much larger man–by the throat and hurled him into a squad manning a high-power laser cannon. The cannon misfired into the air, barely missing Dinua. They'd expected heavy resistance...and come prepared.

Torian jumped beside Dha, his blade spinning in an electric blur, and slashed down two mercenaries. A volley of blaster bolts passed by, and Dha grabbed Torian and shoved him into the ground. The bolts barely missed them.

In minutes, the battle was won. Seldom had Dha experienced such a victory.

The good, real ending of what happened in my AU weekly fic. Much less depressing, eh? ;)

Welcome DarthSillyMonkey! Force-Shan cookies are a brilliant idea. Beyond that, I liked the contrast with the kid who sucked up to the bully, and the kid who finally stood up to him. As well as Dokk’it and Mako. Nice entry.

@ Bright: I really enjoyed the whole Winston arc, from the hope and optimism in the earlier pieces to the depression and self-destructive impulses in the later trio. Also: Sevarcos! :).

@ YoshiRalphElan: Both Dha and Prudii’s stories were touching. Proud parents all. And yes, much less depressing, but that’s what AUs are for.

@ RatchetGuyClanks: the BH crew is one of, of not the most species-diverse crew of all. Not to mention culturally diverse. Amazing they manage to get along at all. Don’t worry about length (or lack thereof). Stories take as many words as they need, whether it’s fifty or five thousand.

@ Everstream: I enjoyed Corso pushing back a bit. It would be easy to write him as a doormat, and I like that you didn’t go that way. Audra’s collection was lovely. A box of memories, good and bad.

Not sure under what prompt to place this under.. there's been so many anyway..

SW / Smuggler Unspoiled

A mindless drabble on Masks...

=========

"Master, can I see what you look like under that mask?" The Cathar apprentice asked of Darth Baras one day in the latter's office.

"Speak of this to no one dear apprentice, I do this for you because I like your face at the moment, though I'm sure in the future I may dislike your face, but that is for a different time." The Darth unlatched his mask and lifted it from his head, saying as he did so, "There are reasons that we wear masks-"

"Ew, put your mask on!" Vette shrieked warding her hands in front of her. Beside the twi'lek, the Cathar Marauder could only agree with both her slave's opinion and her master's observation. Even as the Darth reversed the motion of removal into one of attachment, the snow tiger colored Cathar pondered her own looks and decided she didn't need a mask for her face.

---

"Why would I show you my face when all you've known of me is this helmet?" Einyrica's modulated voice eshewed in the room.

"Makes sense." Darmas mused, "Still, I can tell you're a woman."

"Watch your gaze pal, or you could end up like Riggs." The suited smuggler produced a holo-picture of Corso's bruised face, and Darmas had to admit that some issues were better left alone.

======

More on Family

Anys/zama

The Twi'lek Knight read the message and nodded to herself; she'd been expecting this from her sister lately, a request of urgency with a behest to come alone without any of her crew to ride herd on her. Anysama would meet the pirate in the Promenade....

....And there the rough and tumble guy was, leaning against a structure pylon waiting. He nodded as she approached and did a quick glance around evaluation of the surroundings. The passerbys were still passing right on by, all the bystanders were none and not standing by like idiots. "You ready?"

She mutely nodded and fell into step with him. They would take a speeder to an area of imperial control, then another one to a fancy casino complex. Effectively the route doubled back on itself about five times from variously different angles and locations before the ex-pirate took her to the Imperial spaceport where the security was quite lax. Before Anysama knew it, she was entering her sister's world of crimson red flags and dark metallic grey walls.

The ship waited for them and Anysama supposed she was surprised at the crispness of the space craft before her; certainly it wasn't some old out of date design like the Defender was. The blue knight squared her shoulders and allowed herself to be led up the ramp by Revel and into the ship where she entered an environ quite unlike the one she was used to.

The lighting was designed to promote, or at least allow for the eyes to operate in low illuminated areas so that one could look out the viewports more easily into the black void of space with little adjustment. Furthermore, as the Knight discovered, the path from the airlock to the main room led to the main activity room where a similar holo-com dominated a piece of acreage and everything was orderly and well maintained.

"Sith, I'm back." The pirate called out into the semi-darkness of the interior.

"Wonderful, bring Sama to my quarters please Pirate." There was no mistaking her sister's voice as the procession of two tromped the way to what Anysama surmised to be where her sister was.

"So, what's the reason you called me here sis? Certainly it's well and good to see you but meeting you on your ship seems a bit odd." 'Sama looked at 'Zama and the latter slowly rose from her chair to gaze at her older sibling quietly.

"You have a lot to learn about how the galaxy works sister; I'm not saying anything against the Jedi Council either, but I'm a Dark Council member now, and I feel like taking a break from it."

Older twi'lek stared at younger twi'lek, stunned at the amount of success that her sister had achieved in a setting that was certainly xenophobic in general to aliens. "Congradulations then."

"Thank you, but as I said, I want to take over for you for a while, and let you effectively rest and get to know a different environment for a while. No one will know the difference really."

In the end, the Knight capitulated and sat staring into the ship hangar as she felt apprehension at the aspect of her temporary relocation, She only hoped that her sister could handle her job as well as she thought she could.

Maybe more later.. I don't know yet.

@Striges I'm awful at selecting star systems, so when somebody else brings up a potentially useful one I keep it in mind: hence, Sevarcos!

@YoshiRaphElan: Yay, victory! I like the action and elation in this one.

@Zethrodek, fond though I am of Darmas, I find Einyrica's reaction perfectly reasonable. Furthermore I like the explanation - any explanation - for the low lighting on the Fury.

Now, my brain kind of raced Wynston to a dark spot and dropped him there, and I have no intention of leaving him in that dark spot - he's got a solid sixteen years before he makes any meaningful appearance in Ruth's timeline, and sixteen years is way too long to leave him hurting, so...guess I've got some work to do. Even if the improvement can't be instantaneous.

Collections crossed with Virtues: Restraint/Temperance for Wynston. No game spoilers. 1600 words.

Wynston did prepare and inject a counterstim once Vector was out of the way. The shift to sobriety was a fire in his veins and a hard hit of a headache; just because the effect was instantaneous didn't mean it was fun.

He had really come to dislike being sober in the morning.

Of course, he could handle it. Given a reason, he could handle it. He scratched at his arms and got to work. Today Vector was in the field; Wynston was at home, reviewing reports, checking over the word from the analysts on loan from Intelligence, picking out what projects to focus on. He would stick with water for the day. Just to show Vector.

The hours had never crept by so slowly.

His mind wandered as he flipped between reports. It would be nice to get off duty and have a sip. He mentally traced the route to the mess and pantry storage, then changed his mind; those were closer but his quarters were more discreet. He had amassed something of a collection in his quarters: wine, whiskey, some potent brew he couldn't even pronounce from a recent layover on Rodia, some brandy received as a thank-you gift from contacts on Alderaan, some cheap bourbon from a space station he'd passed through a few days ago. Cheap had a certain appeal. He never felt bad about finishing it off.

He would have liked to show off the more notable pieces in the collection; some women appreciated that sort of thing. But he hadn't really had the energy to seek company lately. Women were a distraction from work anyway. He was busy every hour he wasn't unwinding or sleeping.

He checked reports, received messages, sent orders, went through the minutiae of managing the Tenebrous. No one disturbed him in person until around lunch time, when the door dinged too loudly and slid open to admit Agent Raina Temple. "Sir," she said, saluting. "Good afternoon, sir."

"Good afternoon." He pulled up a chair and gestured for her to do the same; she looked too nervous standing there by herself. "What can I do for you?"

"I just wanted to report on the news from Command and Control." She launched into a recitation of things he already knew; he gave her half a minute before raising a hand.

"Yes," he said, "I've already received the notifications to that effect. Thank you."

Then he realized. She wasn't here to report anything. Vector had sent her to him to make sure he was behaving. Vector was keeping tabs on him.

"I think that's all I need from you," he said.

"Yes, sir." She stood and saluted.

"And Temple?"

"Yes, sir?"

"If you drop in to check on me without a pressing business reason again, I will cause you bodily harm."

Her eyes widened. "Y-yes, sir."

"Dismissed." Her hurried departure was satisfying. See if she came back to spy after that. He rubbed at his arms and got back to work.

Late in the evening he received the notification: Vector, in Wynston's ship, had returned to the Tenebrous' hangar. Probably bringing good news; Vector usually did. And here Wynston was, clean. There. Perfect. That should set the Joiner's doubts to rest. Then Wynston could relax.

He met Vector just outside the hangar and gestured to walk beside him. "Welcome back," he said, smiling cordially. "Everything go all right?"

"Mission successful," said Vector. "And you?"

"Quiet on the home front. How often do you get to say that? Come on." He fell in beside Vector as easily as ever. He waited until they were alone to slow his steps. "I apologize for my behavior this morning," he said. "I was...less than civil."

"We understand, Wynston."

"Good. Then can we agree to let it lie? I'll stay sober on the job; with the hours we work that's practically a teetotalling guarantee. Happy?"

Vector hesitated. "While we have faith in you...it may be difficult for a partial cutback to remain permanent."

"I'll manage." The Joiner didn't look entirely convinced. "Vector, for the sake of our friendship, drop this."

"Wynston, for the sake of our friendship, we cannot."

"Are you going to babysit me? Is that where this is going?"

"We do not think we have to, once you recognize that stopping is necessary."

"I don't," he said flatly. "I'll stay clean on the job. Anything else is my business."

"'Anything else' may creep back in at any time."

"Do you have so little faith in me?"

"We have faith that you can overcome this dependence."

"I'm not dependent!"

They walked on for a few moments in silence. Vector's voice came back very softly. "Then when did you last go a day without a drink?"

"Today, dammit."

"Except for the one this morning," Vector said, "before you thought anyone would notice."

"I cleaned up after. No harm done."

"And must you be checked and reminded every morning to ensure it stays that way? We can do this if it's necessary."

"You're under no obligation to police me, Vector. In fact you shouldn't."

"Wynston, please, consider our words. You are not well. You haven't been, not since you dealt with Kaliyo." Failed to deal, thought Wynston; that was the point. "We wish to see you healthy and whole again, and that cannot happen while you're relying on a drug."

"Oh. Right. The Killik Joiner will lecture me on the evils of biological agents."

Vector winced. "Even if you attack us, the fact does not change."

They rounded the corner to the hallway with Wynston's quarters. He cut the Joiner off. "You're not getting a guarantee tonight. Good work in the field, Vector, and thank you for your concern. Good night."

He stalked into his quarters, locked the door behind him, and paced to the far wall and back. If Vector kept up like this there was going to be a problem. A crew revolt was exactly what the Tenebrous initiative didn't need. And Wynston would stop slipping up, the little things that he'd gotten wrong when he went on the job a little soggier than he ought to. He could clean that up. It would keep Vector off his case. Everything would be fine. It was fine.

At some point in that he ended up with a tumbler of something amber and sharp. He took a sip in the interest of clarity, then another few to keep the first one company.

Enough about the job and the crew. He thought about Kaliyo, who was never far from his mind. He thought about other girls, too, a long hall of memories, an easily imagined progression of new faces: charming beauties, all of them. It might be nice to get back to that. But no. It was easier to stay home.

Was that right? Was he really telling himself he didn't want to be out there letting some willing creature keep his mind off things? Since when was he feeling too cowardly for that?

Since he got so tired. Women took maintenance. Women took energy. Women took you for all you were worth and then spat you out. The only women he could still stand were the ones who had long ago agreed they would be nothing to him: Temple, Keeper. The only ones left whose use for him outweighed their distaste for him.

He refilled his tumbler, then set it down and ran his hands through his hair, pushing it back from his face. He was a mess. This much was obvious. So Vector could see it, too. Vector worried too much, but the point stood. Wynston was a mess. He could admit that. He'd let Kaliyo get to him – stars, no, don't look too closely at that pit, you'll never find your way out again – he'd let Kaliyo get to him but he could move on. He finished off his tumbler. He could move on. He refilled. There was still work for him to do. He had always loved his work. Now more than ever he was in a position to effect change, free of the strictures of the system he had loved but been unable to reform. Now more than ever he could get it right. He drank to that thought. Work was home. It was meaning. It was his.

The bottle was empty; Wynston had the self-control to not open another one. Easy. He filled the tumbler with water just to have something to sip. It didn't satisfy.

He went to bed early and stared at the ceiling, wishing he had a little more in his system, debating whether Vector or anyone would be able to deduce if he went for it. Thinking about women, too, good memories, pleasant times - almost all of which had involved drinking, it wasn't like the habit was solely there for evil. Thinking of being with someone who didn't make that many demands, didn't hold arbitrary standards he couldn't live up to, didn’t try to stab him in the back. Some of them were still out there, might even remember him fondly. Someone was out there who remembered him getting it right. Whoever she was, why couldn't he be with her?

His thoughts went on trudging in raw circles. Much later he rolled over and reached down for a fresh bottle from the collection. Just enough to let him sleep.

Note:

That obsession may sound too weird to be true, but – especially right after it's been challenged – it's a thing that can happen with addiction. One gets used to it for everything, and then starts missing it if it isn't there. For everything.

Things start looking up for him soon, I promise.

Allies/Behind the Scenes with Vector and Ensign Temple. No game spoilers. 240 words.

"He saw right through me," Temple reported to Vector. "And he wasn't happy."

"We feared he might become hostile," Vector said glumly. "He did with us."

"It's been leading up for weeks. At first I thought it was just his old impatience with me but he's doing it with everyone. And today he threatened me for checking in."

Vector's eyes widened. "We are sorry. We didn't think..."

"Well, for now his bark is worse than his bite." Temple hugged herself and frowned. "I don’t even think he was paying attention a hundred percent."

"He called us a bug when we confronted him earlier," Vector said quietly. "He has never in all our time together used that term to our face."

"Nor behind your back, Vector, trust me. He was just trying to shake you." She gritted her teeth. "He could do with a firm shake himself. Draw straws on who's going to give it?"

Vector slumped a little. "We have no doubt he would cut ties if we tried."

"I respect him…I respect his leadership, Vector. But this is affecting the mission. If he doesn't stop his pity party soon it's going to start costing lives. He would be the first to say that isn't acceptable."

"For now we must support him in keeping operations running." Vector shifted from foot to foot and tried to steady himself with Temple's eyes. "He can't fail now."

"No," agreed Temple. "He can't."

Wynston, Failure, no game spoilers. 500 words.

Wynston sat in a cantina on Zeltros opposite a Human crime lord named Rebo Vay. Negotiations, more or less, were going on.

"I would reconsider my words if I were you," Wynston said, sneering across the table. He hadn't had much sleep, he had had a couple of drinks opposite this arrogant little man, and this arrogant little man was getting on his nerves.

"From what I see," said Rebo Vay, "you're in no position to argue."

"I'm telling you, the Annihilator Network will wreck your operations on both systems unless we present technological superiority or some kind of network access blockade. I'm in a position to help you with that. With them. Otherwise, trouble's going to find you sooner rather than later."

"We can deal with them. You as well if you keep getting in my way."

"Me?" Enough of this stupid caution. The conversation had been going on for far too long now and Vay was obnoxious anyway. Wynston set down his glass opposite Vay's and let impulse open his mouth. "I'd like to see you try," he drawled.

"Then you will, Chiss," said Rebo Vay, gesturing, and several of the patrons stood up, taking sidearms from their hiding places.

"Go," barked Wynston, and then everything went to hell.

He dropped beneath the first scream of blasters. He had his own people planted around the room; they would clear things fast enough. He just had to be not dead center.

He pulled Rebo Vay down on top of him and held the struggling man in place as a shield. "You should have listened," he growled, then shoved the man aside and surged up shooting. The bastards dodged well. He did land a hit, eventually, and he saw more of Vay's men being taken down by Intelligence staff.

As the last man went down a swell of adrenaline-polluted nausea pushed Wynston hard to hands and knees. His head spun slowly and unstoppably. He wasn't...great, just then. When footsteps approached he jerked to his knees, blaster ready, but it was only Vector.

"Agent! Wynston!" The Joiner gave him a hand up. Wynston wobbled a little, then started walking. Vector walked alongside. "We heard everything," said the Joiner.

Courtesy of the earpiece. Wynston looked him in the eye. Vector looked back, nothing but concern on his face.

"No one could have kept that clean," Wynston said slowly. They'd needed Rebo Vay. He knew that. They had needed an alliance with him and instead the guy had gotten himself killed. "He was determined not to cooperate."

Vector didn't answer right away. He just touched Wynston's arm and gestured out toward the spaceport. "We'd better go."

"Seven dead," someone reported on the way. "Two of them ours." Wynston nodded wearily and moved on. He was dying for a drink. Damage control first, then...something. Then something. The man was determined not to cooperate. It wasn’t his fault.

Note:

”They dodged well” is code for “he can’t shoot worth a damn in this condition.” He had another warmup drink this morning, reasoning that they were going to a cantina anyway, so what was the difference?

Then we get to Communication Breakdown. Some spoilery hints about the Agent Act 3. 800 words.

The call was from Keeper. As per policy, that meant Wynston took it in private, in his office. He shoved the glassware out of sight first.

The dark-eyed woman looked grim. "Cipher. I've been trying to reach you."

The edge on her voice was threatening. "Keeper,” he said firmly, “if this is about my personal life, I am asking you to stop. Right now."

"The reports I've received are professional ones. You're slipping."

"It's under control."

"Cipher. How long have we known each other? Seven years?"

"Yes." He smiled thinly. "My oldest friend, I think." She was about to try to take advantage of it. How tiresome.

"We were never friends."

Wynston shook himself. That wasn't how interventions went. "What?"

"We're professionals, Cipher. It was always my job to track patterns, check the big game, so I could effectively direct you in the field. That's our relationship. When I express concern, it isn't just that I worry about you. It's that the pattern has become clear: you're a danger to the mission."

"I always drank, Keeper. It wasn't a problem." And, mistake or two notwithstanding, it was still a net good thing. His conscience tugged against that idea but couldn't move it.

"We looked the other way about your drinking because you kept it to off hours or tolerable amounts during social interactions. You always regulated yourself. Now you're not even pretending to make it a social occasion."

"It's not an occasion for anyone, including you, to comment on."

"It really is, and after the disaster on Zeltros you must know it."

"If Vector told you–"

"Vector is still doing his best to protect you. But Zeltros was too big a loss to hide. Come back to Dromund Kaas, Cipher. I won't send you to an inpatient program, not if you come willingly to just stay in the city for a while. Until you've recovered your balance."

"My balance is fine, Keeper, now–"

"If you disconnect this line I will immediately freeze funding to the Tenebrous project." Her voice was a blade.

Wynston gaped. She couldn't...she.... Red anger followed in the wake of the shock. "Are you out of your mind? How can you possibly hold this initiative hostage over my so-called problems?"

"I could ask you the same. Cipher, I've run the numbers on every other candidate for command of the Tenebrous and none of them are acceptable. You aren't, either, not in your current state, but you're the one I want in that job - the best we have by parsecs. You're the one I want, but not in the condition you're in, and I will stop offering resources - resources I currently have to go to some lengths to acquire and route into a secret program - I'll stop it all if it's going to waste."

"You let my people do their job," he snarled.

"Return to Dromund Kaas."

She would do it, too. She would burn the entire priceless enterprise to balance her calculations. All to reassert control over his life. That b*tch; even as the word came to mind he knew it went too far but somehow it still applied. "Dammit, Keeper, this is unprofessional and you know it."

"I do what's necessary. The only arguable part of the equation is the value I'm placing on you, and after all we've been through I stand by my estimation. I won’t give up on you easily." She seemed to gauge his reaction for a moment. He tried not to give one. He didn't know what to give. More softly now she said "I've sent you to be drugged, modified, jailed, operated on, tortured, and left for dead. Is it so different if I order this?"

"The terms are different now. I'm not your animal anymore, not entirely." He was responsible for things himself. He was the steward of the Black Codex, an authority in his own right.

"You're still my associate. And a financially dependent one. Clean up and you'll have your freedom."

That didn't sound right. A power play like this, once he was out they would never let him back. "Keeper," he said.

"Cipher?"

"Let's say I go, imagine that point's settled. Will I ever see the Tenebrous again?"

Understanding glimmered in her eyes. "Yes. That's a promise."

Did he trust her?

"I'm only doing this for the mission," he said. To keep her from her threat of wrecking it. He did trust her word that far.

"That's why I know you'll succeed," she said. "Report to Headquarters when you land. I'll be waiting for you."

He felt something small and strange nestled in his outrage and resentment as she vanished: some small part of him that was just glad at the prospect of going back to the Citadel. Going home.

Edited by bright_ephemera

Week of 7/19/2013

Vacation - Our characters have traveled hither and thither over a dozen or more planets for work, politics, personal vendettas, and more. But where do they go to relax and what do they do when they've got some time to unwind? Write about your character's vacation time. Prompt courtesy of alaurin.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5223753&postcount=1675.

This week's featured NotLP:

Communication Breakdown - Trying to communicate with each other when things are going well is hard enough, but our characters have plenty of other things that can get in the way. Bad com channels, language barriers, broken holo feeds - all those can mess up a conversation. Not to mention people who just plain don't understand each other...

Prompt - Vacation

Title - Never Really Done

Class - Agent

Act 3 Finale spoilers

Merok stood in the cockpit, leaning against the controls, and stared at the planet below. Csilla–his homeworld. He'd been summoned back by the ruling families to discuss the Republic. So technically, it was the closest thing he'd gotten to a vacation in–

Ever.

He turned, left the cockpit, and went into his bedroom. Sliding the door shut, he stripped off his combat armor, laying it neatly on his bed, and put on his blue-and-brown dress uniform. He buttoned it up to the top collar, strapped his pistol in its holster, and swiftly combed his hair into place.

"Prepare to land," he said over the intercom.

Temple was practically bouncing off the walls, already at the boarding ramp. She loved the Chiss, but as far as Merok knew she'd never been to Csilla. She wore an orange flight jacket and her twin pistols were strapped on–one on her hip and the other under her armpit. Vector calmly strode over to stand beside her. His Exploration Corps uniform was neatly pressed, and in place of his electrostaff he had a half-meter long dagger strapped to his belt. Lokin, last to arrive, was clad in a gray-and-black field uniform, although he'd refrained from wearing his visor, at least. His pistol was tucked into the back of his waistband, hidden from sight.

They'd decided to leave Kaliyo and Scorpio, the more...rambunctious...of their crew at their safehouse on Nar Shaddaa.

"Let's go," Merok said.

Aristocra Chaf'arna'nuruodo met them in the spaceport. In his yellow-and-red uniform, he stood out against the stark white walls of the ice cave. Behind him, two bodyguards in black-and-yellow blast armor leveled their charrics at Lokin and Vector. Merok held up a hand.

"They're my agents," Merok said. "They won't cause any harm, Aristocra Farnan."

Farnan nodded. "Very well. At ease."

The two bodyguards lowered their charrics. Merok nodded to them, and they nodded in return.

"The Ruling Families are eager to meet with you," Farnan said. "This way."

Kaliyo sat, polishing her blaster. When she was done, she stood and paced the room for one minute exactly. Then she sat down, crossed her legs, and began spinning her blaster around on her finger. Across the room, Scorpio glared at her, optics glowing in that creepy-orange way Kaliyo hadn't gotten used to yet.

"I'm going to get a drink," Kaliyo said.

"Fair enough," Scorpio said quietly. "It will be easier to rid myself of you while you are inebriated."

Kaliyo scowled. "I'll wear my armor to the bar then."

She slammed her helmet on and stormed out of the safehouse.

Note: I accidentally killed Ardun Kothe. To ensure that Merok still joined the Republic in my head-canon, I took the free-agent option, and then said that the Chiss Ascendancy ordered him to join SIS, having been disillusioned with the Empire and seeking to learn if the Republic was a safer alternative.

Edit: Ugh. This is Morgani. I totally forgot the boyfriend signed into his account on my computer. Derp derp derp.

I've missed out on some comments. Fixing that now.

YoshiRaphElan re: Culture Shock – Nice nod to the 10 yr. I do really want to know how Scourge was going to explain what was going on, and how Revan would take to seeing him. Re: Life and Death – Powerful and sad, but reality. Career soldiers are absolutely amazing people.

Kabe re: First Impressions – Love love love Remi and Scourge. And I can totally relate to scurrying off to write my (Ipha's) name over and over on a data pad. “Mrs Ipha Jorgan. Major Ipha Jorgan. Dare I say General Ipha Jorgan? General Jorgan...” It really did go on.

Bright re: Quinn and Wynston stuffs – I need a Quinn to round out my own comic and graphic novel collection. Imo there is no better job for his ana-er tight a- uh... detail orientated skills. As for Wynston, I want to hug him. Keeper's concern, Vector's attempts to keep him from destroying himself, it's really amazing what those afflicted with severe addiction will tell themselves to keep the thing that's killing them and vilify those who are trying to help. So sad. I want better things for Wynston.

Lesaberisa re: Discoveries – Khem would like music. After all, a Dashade can't spend all his time eating Force users. Re: Collections – I know a clothes horse like Olympia. I'm like “Why so many boots? You only have two feet!” I'm then informed that I just don't understand.

Leonara re: Discoveries – Doc sews? Yes. This is now an accepted fact of Doc's life. Doc knits too. He knits a mean blaster cozy.

EverSteam re Audra and Corso – I wish I liked Corso more. I like your Corso. I liked the mention of her Imperial accent being the voice of his real Captain.

RatchetGuyClanks re Culture Shock – I think the first fic I've seen where no one wants to toss Skage out of the air lock. I hope Torian has patience and can handle some violent ribbing.

DarthSillyMonkey re: BH and Mako – That was amazing. I can hear your snarktastic Mako in my head while I read. And the kid narrator with a voice all his own has some aaaaah-maaaa-zing observations. Like the need to urinate when terrified. Such good yet lighthearted detail. The message was a good one but it's your spectacular writing that gives life to the story. I'm really looking forward to more stuff and other classes from you.

Zethrodek re: SW/Smug – I liked your Masks drabbles a lot. It says a lot that Baras' apprentice would decide against hiding her face.

YoshiRaphElan re: vacation – Caught this great piece before posting. I don't know that Csilla is the best vacation spot, I can easily imagine Temple super over excited to see it. And Scorpio, yes, you nailed her voice. I, too, would off Kaliyo when she was (blackout) drunk.

Edited by ShinSoole

I am a terrible person and have gotten behind in my reading again. :( I am so sorry and I promise, I will catch up as soon as I can to make comments.

I do have a vacation piece to share and then I will start getting caught up with my reading....I am eagerly looking forward to it since I see some new names!!

Title: Fun in the Sun

Prompt: Vacation

Characters: Belladonya-smuggler and Mallayse-trooper, companions

Setting: Dantooine

Spoilers: Smuggler and Trooper through act 2, companion spoilers for Dorne and M1-FX

***warning: adult themes! :p

"Ah, this is fantastic,” Mallay sighed, contentedly, “I’m glad we were able to come home for a break.”

“Mmmmm,” Bella agreed, “You said it, sis. I forgot how awesome summer is here!”

Bella and Mallay were spending their break time at home. Havoc was on leave as Jorgan recovered from his injuries on the Gauntlet. He was healing quickly, his Cathar metabolism helping him along, as well as Elara’s excellent medical skills. Mallay refused to go anywhere while her XO was still in the kolto tank and General Garza knew that Jorgan was a big part of the squad so she understood their hesitation in operating without him. She told them they'd earned some leave time and gave Havoc three weeks leave, enough time for Jorgan to recover and the squad to have a small vacation.

Mallay dismissed her squad, letting them know she planned on going home as soon as Aric was out of the tank. Yuun decided to return to Gand and Forex requested permission to continue his missions to boost republic morale. The large, obsessively patriotic battle droid had another prominent Imperial target in mind and Mallay gave her approval. Elara and Tanno didn’t have anywhere to go. Elara’s only available family was her newly defected brother, Alexi, but she was only allowed occasional short visits with him for now. Tanno had no family, having grown up on the streets of Nar Shaddaa. Mallay asked them if they’d like to come with her to Dantooine and they gratefully accepted. As soon as Aric, who wanted to come with them, came out of the tank and Elara deemed him fit for travel, they took off for Dantooine.

Bella was also taking a break. Her latest escapade, where she teamed up with a pair of expert thieves to rob an Imperial treasury starship, ‘The King’s Ransom,’ had drawn some unwanted attention and they’d barely escaped with their lives and the treasure. Now the Voidwolf and Rogun were after her, so she decided to lay low for a few weeks while Senator Dodonna made arrangements for her next assignment.

Bella’s crew accompanied her as well, none of them having families to go home to. Bella bought Derek’s ranch from him with her portion of the money from the raid on The King’s Ransom. Derek had moved in to the Lauren farm when he married Sidra, but had been running the ranch as well. He preferred farming to ranching and had just been waiting for the right buyer. Corso knew ranching well and agreed to help Bella get things going. Their relationship was blossoming well and Bella was starting to warm to the idea of a relationship. She’d finally told him how much she loved him. They were still moving slowly, but she could see herself settling down with the handsome Mantellian, eventually.

Their mother was away for the next few days. Jonah had started showing some force sensitivity, so Sidra and Derek had taken him to the Jedi Temple on Dantooine for assessment. Kit and Zaryn had accompanied them.

The guys were working on the ranch, Corso making plans for additions and rounding up and tagging the livestock that had been born that spring. Aric was helping, the physical activity welcoming after being stuck in a kolto tank for so many days. Tanno and Bowdar were also helping, their large size an asset. Guss said he would supervise the operations, which meant he was sitting on a lounge chair napping.

The five girls were enjoying drinks and listening to the radio while lying out in the sun at the pond in their skimpy bikinis. Akaavi was a little hesitant about exposing that much of herself, but Risha and Bella were finally able to talk her into it.

“See, it’s not so bad, is it?” Bella asked Akaavi.

“I feel so naked!” Akaavi worried.

“But you look great!” Risha assured her, “I’m thinking a certain weequay is definitely going to notice!”

“Are you referring to Tanno?” Elara asked, “Akaavi, are you attracted to him?”

Akaavi nodded and Mallay smiled, “Well, that’s wonderful, because he has asked me about you more than once. I think he likes you!”

“Really?” Akaavi asked, her face looking a little hopeful.

“Absolutely!” Mallay assured her, “and he’s a really good guy once you get past that rough exterior he puts out. He’s become like a big brother to me. However, he still annoys the crap out of Aric though!” Mallay giggled.

“I wish Ros and Lissa could be here,” Bella sighed. The last time they saw the twins was briefly on Carrick Station when the hair dye incident occurred a couple of months ago.

“Yeah, me too, I miss them.” Mallay agreed, “I guess they are both on their way to Alderaan.”

Bella got a goofy look on her face, “Ah, Alderaan,” she reminisced, “I finally decided to talk to Corso after our first day there and that’s when we first kissed.”

Risha snorted, “Yeah, I got to walk in on that.”

“Wasn’t that when you tried spying on Corso in the shower, Risha?” Mallay snickered.

“Hey, Bella asked me to check in on him!” Risha tried to defend herself.

“Not in the shower, I didn’t!” Bella retorted, chucking an ice cube at Risha. “He does have a nice body though, so I can’t blame you for trying.”

“I remember seeing you soon after that, you guys had gotten off the thranta that Aric was trying to talk me into getting on.” Mallay giggled, “You’d been making out on that thranta and you both were practically glowing.”

Bella smiled, nearly glowing at the memory, “I remember that! I didn’t want to get on that thing, but Corso promised to keep me distracted and boy did he deliver!” then she laughed, “If memory serves, I recall Aric finally getting you on that thranta.”

“Not in the fun way Corso did,” Mallay snorted, “Do you know he kept me over his shoulder until that thing was high in the sky. Then he finally set me down in front of him, but refused to let go of me.”

“He probably thought you were going to hit him!” Elara giggled, “That must have been an interesting ride.”

“Oh, it got interesting when I threw up on him!” Mallay smirked, “It turns out that I get a little airsick on those things.” All five girls were laughing at that.

“Elara has some nice memories of Alderaan,” Bella drawled, slyly as Elara started to blush. “Corso wasn’t the only good kisser on Alderaan!”

Elara sighed, smiling, “Cormac was a very good kisser. It’s too bad we had to get walked in on!”

“Yeah, sorry about that, but Mallay asked me to check in on you. You’re practically family so we wanted to make sure he was a good guy.”

“How come you didn’t go visit him, Elara?” Mallay asked.

“He’s away for advanced officer training and won’t be back until after Havoc is back on duty.” She told them, “He sends me a few short messages when he gets the time, but they are keeping him pretty busy. He did send me some flowers when we were still on Coruscant.”

“Well, let me know when he has some leave and I’ll do my best to give you some time off to go visit him.” Mallay told her, earning her a hug from her medic.

“It’s really lovely here,” Akaavi sighed, “very peaceful and scenic.”

“I like the scenery, too,” Elara admitted, “Mallay's orchard is beautiful and smells wonderful and you can see mountains in the distance.”

“Speaking of scenery,” Risha smiled, looking ahead, “here comes another nice view.”

“Oh, my,” Elara sighed, “that is quite nice.”

Aric and Corso were walking, shirtless, to the pond. Vik was right behind them with a large cooler and Bowdar with a backpack and carrying the grill.

“You know Bella, Farm Boy may not be my favorite person, but I do envy you getting to have sex with that gorgeous bronze body!” Risha sighed, and the rest of them nodded.

Mallay was tongue tied, staring at Aric and Bella laughed at her sister, recalling a conversation they had back on Ord Mantell, “Now that is definitely a hot bodied man, sister dearest, and I’m willing to bet he could blow your mind in the bedroom. What in the void are you waiting for?!”

“We haven’t exactly had the opportunity.” Mallay explained, sighing, “After we kissed, and he’s a great kisser by the way…”

“A good biter too, apparently,” Elara interrupted, giggling.

Mallay looked sheepish, “Yeah, that too. Anyways, we were too busy freezing on Hoth to take things any further….”

Risha snorted, rolling her eyes, “yeah, right, that’s why I caught you making out in the elevator at Aurek Base. I’m pretty sure you were trying to get your hands on that nice chest of his….”

Mallay chucked an ice cube at Risha, her body heating at the memory of what that chest felt like under her hands, “Anyways, after we finished on Hoth, we had to return to Coruscant and immediately set out for the assault on the Gauntlet. Not the best time for sex, not to mention that we weren’t alone on the ship.”

“Yeah, and if you’re anything like Bella, I’m sure your squad mates would rather not be around.” Risha smirked.

“Hey, I can’t help it if I enjoy myself in the bedroom with Corso?!” Bella shrugged.

“Oh, trust me, judging from the noises we hear, we’re well aware that the two of you are having a great time!” Risha retorted, then turned to Mallay, “Well, what’s stopping you now? You’re on vacation, I’m sure you can manage to find some alone time, and Aric definitely looks recovered.”

“And you know she’s really looking!” Bella snickered.

“Oh, my,” Elara sighed, “I think they’re going swimming.” All five girls sighed as Aric and Corso stripped to their boxers and dove in. Tanno set the cooler on the deck, shucked his clothes down to his boxers, and jumped in as well.

“Tanno’s bod isn’t too bad either, Akaavi,” Bella admitted, “You should totally go for that!”

Akaavi nodded, “I think I will.”

“I wonder what they’re talking about,” Elara mused, noticing Aric, Corso, and Tanno talking and looking in their direction.

Bella got up, and smiled slyly, “I don’t know, but I think it’s time for a swim!” The rest of the girls followed suit.

“I swear, bikinis should be outlawed!” Aric shook his head, looking over at Mallay in her little pink string bikini, “They have to know what that does to us guys.”

Corso nodded, admiring Bella, “I don’t think this water is cold enough to help me after seeing Bella in that!”

“I don’t know guys,” Tanno chuckled, watching Akaavi as she dove in, “I’m certainly enjoying the view!”

They all spent the afternoon swimming, listening to music, the girls dancing on the giant raft, and simply enjoying each other’s company. Corso and Bella cooked ronto steaks on the grill, Mallay got the pies she baked that morning from her house, and the cooler was full of cold drinks. Soon, the sun was going down and Bowdar had headed back to the ranch house where the guys were staying. Risha and Elara were snoozing on the deck lounges and Akaavi and Tanno were talking as they floated on the giant raft in the middle of the pond. Aric and Mallay had snuck off a short time ago and Bella smiled at the thought of what they were likely doing. She was lying in a lounge, snuggling with Corso, content with their plans to sneak off later when she suddenly remembered something.

“Hey Corso, where’s Guss?”

Edited by alaurin