The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

@ Lesaberesa: Liked the sequence, with all the characters making their individual moves. It was a bit like watching the progression of a poker game from each indivdual’s perspective.

@ Everstream: I’m with Yoshi, it sounds like everyone had a good time.

@ Lady-Jean: I can’t think of a better crystal for Zarro’s Sunbeam. In-game we build a lightsaber quickly. I liked seeing how and why a padawan’s first lightsaber is special.

@ Magdalane: A role reversal from what you’ve written before. Magdalane was Miriah’s confidant, helping her warm up to Corso, and giving him the confidence to approach her. Now it’s Miriah’s turn.

@ Marissalf: Interesting look at Kinka’s thought process. I look forward to more as she works through her issues.

@Lady-Jean aw, sunshine crystal!

@marissalf, loved the letter. That part about "I realized that I was becoming her" really hit home.

@Magdalane You really bring Mags' anguish out. I do like Miriah's directness in "Screw the Order!" because somebody had to say it.

I've managed a short NotLP: Culture Shock monologue about the religion of the Jedi and that of the Sith as seen through Wynston's eyes. He's probably chatting with Vector some late night during the Act 2/3 break; there are no spoilers. 200 words.

"I'm not disputing the Force. I'm not in complete denial. But I don't think it has consciousness or a will. Anyone who says it does is making excuses. The problem is, it doesn't have a will but it does have power. From all I've seen the Force is basically, blindly destructive. Like most things in nature. Fire burns, and people die. Ice freezes, and people die. The Force warps, and if the channeler is malicious or careless, people die. That warping is why Sith are generally some degree of insane. It's why the Jedi are so obsessed with controlling themselves. I think that latter point is admirable, but it does leave them in the somewhat embarrassing position of a brotherhood of flamethrowers who have sworn not to char anything. Impotent except for the individuals who go out to fight their wars - which is, again, destruction. The Force is an uncommonly dangerous tool, not a mandate for a religion.

"In short? I'd rather they stopped pawning responsibility off on a mindless force of nature. It might challenge their control but it can't tell them what to do. They can answer to themselves and their fellow sentients. The rest of us do."

Note:

Perspective of a Force-blind. The constructive and protective use of the Force doesn't get as much time in Wynston's experience as, well, the other uses. Even Ruth is a lovely, good-natured wrecking ball: the positive use of a destructive power. Wynston never sees the Force at peace in meditation, never feels its harmony in a tranquil setting. Dark Side and Light Side are a matter of actions, and most days it looks like both sides are throwing things. Doesn't exactly give you a lot of confidence in the power behind it.

Note with Agent Act 3 spoilers:

The Agent line is well crafted to put you at odds with the Sith, and to a lesser degree with failures passing as (or no longer passing as) Jedi. Wynston might well have agreed with the Star Cabal if he weren't too busy hating its most prominent representative. As it is he's got no great love for Force users but he does remain loyal to the Empire for a while longer, before it becomes clear that he cannot pursue his objectives within the Sith-framed system.

oh boy, I have so much catching up to do :)

Meanwhile I was working like crazy on my Trooper for double XP weekend and well.....

NotLP – Life or Death

Introducing: Rosaleen dhu'Aingeal Trooper

No Spoilers

Life

Awareness came slowly. Try as she might she could not seem to get her eyes to open. The smells of kolto filled her nose and the low hum of machinery her ears. Her head ached horribly

“Doctor I think she is waking up” It was a quiet voice somewhere to her right. There was a rustling sound and in moments she felt the effects of a stim moving through her system and something that dampened the pain somewhat.

She still felt odd, disoriented, her mind moving in jerky flashes of thought. What happened? Why was she here? And the scariest thought, who was she?

“Sergeant? Can you hear me? Sergeant?” A woman she assumed was the doctor leaned into her vision.

“Yes” she mumbled in a rough voice, hoarse with disuse. Clearing her throat, she answered again with a bit more force. “Yes”

“Ah good. Hearing. Check. Eyes are tracking okay. Check. She can speak. Check.” The doctor seemed to be studying a datapad.

She felt a pat on her right arm. “You are doing just fine Sergeant” It was the first voice. A man she thought. A medtech? Slowly she raised her left arm to touch her head where it felt odd and ached still. Her fingers brushed metal on her temple and she stiffened.

The doctors voice sounded as if it were far away “Normal motion of extremities. Check”

The tech's voice was closer, clear,” There was” the voice paused. “An attack, on your training class in the field. You had a severe head injury. Only five of you made it out. I'm sorry”

She tried to remember. Nothing. She remembered nothing. Her voice,sounding as if it were a million parsecs away “Sergeant? Training? I don't remember.” Taking plaintive note, her voice shook “Who am I?”

The doctor's voice had a disappointed tone, “Memory. Affected. Will need more testing on that”

The tech's voice was sympathetic as he whispered “Rosaleen, your name is Rosaleen. Get some rest” and the sedative he was administering took effect.

She went through another battery of tests. Reflexes good. Cognitive function good. She tested off the scale on analytical capabilities. She still couldn't remember anything. Oh, they had given her a copy of her personnel records. She couldn't remember though if she loved her family or hated them. Had she been dating? Did she have friends? There were no messages, no loved ones waiting wringing their hands over her survival, no inquiries about her well being.

The medtech, Sam, explained to her a little of what he knew.

“It was a training exercise on Corellia. Several of the top students from the Academies were chosen to participate. Instead the group was apparently ambushed by Imperial elite troops. Out of twenty five of the best the Academies had to offer, only five survived. Someone had messaged Corsec and the Green Jedi who pulled the survivors out. You had some severe head trauma but I guess they found you protecting the injured.”

Dropping his voice to a whisper, “ I heard that the Jedi had to use their power on you to restrain you and take away your rifle. You were that focused on protecting the others.” Almost to himself he muttered,”What a strong will to live you must have”

He went on in a normal tone. “The implant was necessary to restore full motor functionality . The damage was pretty extensive. They were concerned about how well you would recover. So far the only thing that seems to be affected is your memory. At least you seem to remember all your training, how to do everything and your rehab and therapy is going well.”

She was restless. Tired of the testing. Physically everything was working as it should but mentally she felt like a blank slate, starting her life over. Sitting on the bed she read over the sterile file on her life, trying to flesh it out, make herself into a real person again.

Sam came in with an envelope for her. She greeted him with a wry smile. He truly was her only friend in the galaxy right now.

“I think this is it Rosa” he said to her, “Time to move forward with your life”

Opening the envelope she quickly scanned the contents. Her mouth fell open.

“Sam. This says they are assigning me to Havoc Squadron.” Her voice rose to a squeak “Havoc”

“Wow, Congratulations.” He sat on the bed next to her “I know you are bothered you can't remember but what a way to launch this new part of your life. Make new memories”

She nodded thoughtfully. “I haven't given up on trying to remember who I was, but I think the commander of Havoc squad is the last person I want to keep waiting.” Having no personal effect to pack she could walk out the door that minute. They stood and she turned to Sam and took his hand in hers.

“Thank you for being my first friend in this new chapter of my life.” He let go of her hand and gravely saluted her.

Turning on her heel she left for the transport shuttle.

Will add comments/replies shortly

Replies

General ones, really. Glad people liked the set-up, it's a mix of ASOIAF and Godfather, plus I figured it'd be fun to have a manipulative bastard on the 'good' side for once. I wish the Martells from ASOIAF were close to that successful (I might have to have Demetrius return at some point to fill the Martell-vengeance quota :p)

Comments

@EverSteam "Corso meant to knock. He really did" - hey now, you never enter a lady's room without knocking! ;) Audra's card games are a lot more interesting than mine, too.

@Lady-Jean: One thing I forgot to mention last time is I'm really glad you're giving Orgus more attention, I really liked him in game (even if he did occasionally stupid things thanks to the demands of the plot).

@ marissalf : Kinka needs some cheering up, I think, eesh. I jokingly complain about people making me laugh at work but it's okay! ;)

@Magdalane : In addition to what the previous comments said - but unrelated - I'm glad to see the consular get some attention. I know the JC story/character aren't the most popular on the forums, but (in your older posts too) breathe life into a character/story I know I had problems getting attached to. Also, Felix is sweet even if I think Bioware botched the romance (introduce him before Hoth, please :mad:)

@ Bright: I really liked this piece, and I think my agent would feel very similarly. Unfortunately, the Star Cabal's presentation in the story is limited in several ways, but there's definite appeal in the "galaxy for the 'mundanes'" approach

@Irrissa : Welcome back! and as a big fan of the trooper storyline, yay for a trooper story and also for starting before the storyline (as I think the trooper story leaves a lot of room for interesting backstory)

Since i'm hitting major writer's block with my main Veresia topic...

Character: Ayrs (T)

Prompt: Navigation

“We’re lost, aren’t we?” Her tone was teasing, though tinged with a hint of bemused annoyance.

“We’re not lost, I know exactly where we are.” I glanced around furiously for some kind of landmark I could point to.

Her lips twisted into a slightly mocking smile. “Belsavis is not easy to navigate, not even for the Republic’s finest.” She poked my armor gently. “The complex stretches on and on, cell block after cell block without end. There is no shame in admitting you’re lost. It isn’t as if Sergeant Jorgan is here.”

“We aren’t lost.”

Even as I said that, I was forced to slam on the brakes, as the road ended unexpectedly and slamming headfirst into a wall didn’t seem like a good idea. Elara let out a loud, exasperated, breath.

“We’re lost.” It wasn’t a question this time.

“No, we aren’t. I know how to get to the operations center just fine. I can find my way anywhere.” She didn’t look convinced so I tapped the side of my head, “It’s all up here sweetheart.”

A giggle escaped from her before she cut it off and slipped a disapproving look on. “If that’s how you navigate your way through life, it’s a wonder you find anything.”

I let that stew for a moment before turning to look at her. “Well, it seems to work pretty well to me. I found you.”

Her eyes lit up and she snuggled up against me, resting her head on my shoulder. I lay my head on the top of hers. “You did. Though I do wish you had better timing, somehow Belsavis Maximum Security isn’t quite what I would have had in mind for a moment like this.” She smiled, then looked up and kissed me.

“I don’t know, that rift lurker seemed to like it.” She glanced over my shoulder and rolled her eyes. “Anyway, back to work. We’ll find a more appropriate time after we’re off this rock, I’ve found some interesting things in the warden’s manuals.”

Her voice had that mischievious undertone I loved so much. “I look forward to seeing what you have learned.” She paused, then eyed me suspiciously as I reversed course and directed the speeder the way we had come from. “We are lost though, aren’t we?”

My shoulders slumped and I suddenly felt like sulking.

“Yes.”

Character: Amurri (BH)

"Blizz see that boss is good at avoiding trouble. Blizz wonders how boss does this?"

I smiled down at him. "Listen for Skadge. Go the opposite direction."

Character: Veresia (SI)

"I can't believe we've managed to get lost on Dromund Kaas. Not the most auspicious start to my career as Zash's apprentice." I tromped angrily through the underbrush, firing a bolt of lightning at and killing a gundark that got too close.

<Do not try anything, little Sith> Khem intoned. <I will devour you whole if this is part of some plot.>

I eyed him sourly, then turned my back and continued along the path. After a moment, I thought of something that was just crazy enough to work. "Khem, are you saying you are hungry?"

He glared down at me for a long moment before replying. <I am, long have I hungered for the essences of those that use the Force. I may feast on you, but you are a little thing that will not sustain me>

"I have a solution, Khem. We're attempting to find Kaas City, home to some of the most powerful Force users in the galaxy. Which way is your stomach telling you to go?"

We stared at each other for what felt like an eternity. Had he not been a freakish Force-infused monster hellbent on escaping my control and feasting on me, it might have even qualified as a 'moment'.

<You are wise, little Sith. We go.>

Character: Ayrs

Prompt: Dreams and Nightmares

We’d almost managed to escape the crazy planet when a summons came from the Three, which turned out to be about a message from the Shrine of Healing. Apparently my presence had been requested because our little escapade there had left an imprint. I was half tempted to leave another imprint, but I figured the Republic didn’t exactly need a diplomatic incident, especially not with so many Sith in and around the area. Especially that hooded one that seemed creepily interested in me.

I was a bit nervous by the time we got to the ritual chamber, even more so after the attendant – named Marek-Ko or Karek-Do or something – insisted I had to go in alone. With one last, fleeting, look over my shoulder at Elara, I stepped through the doorway and entered the chamber itself. Cold stone throughout, it was unremarkable in its design. Darek-Mo motioned me towards another door, which I guess lead to the room I’d apparently left an imprint on without ever having stepped inside.

When we got to the entry, he waved me forward, then took a step behind me and folded his hands in front of me. “The place is for you, not us. Trust in the visions, outsider.”

I shrugged, and stepped forward. I left the stone chamber behind and walked into…my old bedroom. What the kark is going on?

“Ayrs! Ayrs, come down for dinner! Don’t make us send Dio after you.”

Mom? I waved a hand before my eyes, but nothing changed. Just some vision, or some hallucination. This isn’t real. I felt around me looking for an exit, but there was only one way out. “Coming, Mom, just taking care of something real quick.”

I walked down the same stairs I had for all those years, taking special care on the fourth step where I’d fallen when I was eight and side-stepping Ally’s stuffed Wampa, Wampaboo. Mom and Pop were sitting at the head of the table, Ally to their left and Dio to their right. I noticed an empty chair where Ver should have been, and I had to struggle against a choking sensation in my throat. Mom and Pop were both staring at me, a bit stone-faced.

“There you are, we wondered if you might not come at all. I made you some nerf steak and potatoes. We believe it is still your favorite.” She glanced over at Pop before focusing her attention back on me. “We’ve been waiting for you, we were hoping to see you again.”

I opened my mouth, but had nothing to offer but a dry throat and an annoying croaking sound.

“We haven’t seen your sister either, but we know she will come. You belong here, you both do. We need you here, Ayrs, so many things to do and so few hands around to pitch in. This is where you belong, this is where we all belong.”

This is wrong. “I miss you guys so much, but I can’t be here. Not now, not for awhile. I'm not supposed to be here. You're not supposed to be here.”

Pop looked confused. "You have never left us, you have never left this place."

Mom nodded. “We do not understand. We are your family, this is your home. Where else would you rather be? You are needed here.”

I jerked a thumb behind me. “I’m needed out there too. I can’t go back to running around the farm and shooting varmints with Cimon and Thane. There’s a war going on, the Republic needs me, my friends need me.”

“We do not understand. We thought you would agree that it would be best for you to be here, so we can be together. We can be a family again, and this will be our home.”

I frowned as my heart ramped up to beat about a million times per second. As I tried to think of what to say, I heard the door ringer sound. Saved by the bell. I was already halfway to the door before I realized it might be Ariel or someone else I thought I had made peace with, but I didn’t have many options. The door slid open with a soft tshhhhhh, and she was there; golden hair perfectly in place, green eyes alive and warm with humor and love and a smile that made me feel like the luckiest man alive.

I enveloped her in a hug and held her tightly. She whispered, “I’m here for you, Ayrs,” into my ear. I took her hand in mine and brought her to join the family.

“Mom, Pop, this is Elara. She’s…,” my voice trailed off as I tried to find words for someone beyond description. “She’s my everything.”

Neither of them responded right away. Dio eyed her suspiciously, but Ally came out of nowhere carrying Wampaboo and shrieking excitedly, “We’re going to play house with Wampaboo an’ Nerfboo an’ Banthaboo an’ my stuffed Gundark.

Elara’s eyes sparkled with amusement, as she released my hand and stroked Ally’s hair. “Is his name Gundarkboo?”

Ally scrunched up her face. “No. That’s silly.” Then, she and Dio ran off, leaving Elara and me with Mom and Pop and a whole lot of awkward silence. I cleared my throat.

“You say you need me here, that I belong here. Maybe you think so but - ,” I wasn’t quite sure what to say, but I knew I had to say it. “I need her. She makes the galaxy a better place, and she makes me a better person.”

Mom smiled. She seemed more in-focus now, more alive. When she spoke, the years and everything else that separated us were gone. She sounded like the last time I’d spoken to her. “We’re so proud of you, what you’ve become. And I’m happy that you found her.” She turned to Elara. “You take good care of him, he needs constant supervision.”

My cheeks flushed as Elara nodded, proper as always, at my mother. “Poor nutritional habits, absolutely dreadful navigational skills, possibly the worst comedic timing in the galaxy. Not to mention absolutely obsessed with Game of Sith.”

“I heard about the nerf steak incident on Coruscant, too.” Mom shook her head at me while Elara hid a smile behind her palm.

I spoke a little more quickly and forcefully than I intended. “I can take care of myself just fine, I’ll have you know.” Both women burst out laughing, and even Pop looked like he was about ready to bust a gut. Traitor. “I totally can, you’re crazy.”

Mom walked over and caressed my cheek with her hand. Her eyes were shining with tears she couldn’t shed. She wiped away the moisture on my cheeks from where the onions had made my eyes water. “We’re so proud of you, what you’ve become. I didn’t tell you that enough, as much as I should have.” She smiled tightly. “You had good examples to live up to, though.”

I barely mustered a whisper. “The best.”

We moved towards the door, knowing it was time for me to go.

“Don’t forget us Ayrs, don’t forget where you came from.” Mom sounded happy even though she was crying.

My voice was suddenly hoarse. “I won’t forget. You’ll always be with me.” Mom smiled and held Pop a bit closer.

“Don’t make us wait too long to be grandparents,” I heard Pop shout out as Elara I walked away, hand in hand. I imagined that small grin he had when he told his jokes that nobody found funny but made us laugh anyway. “Force knows what your sister is doing on that front.”

They were still holding each other and smiling as they passed out of sight. I pulled Elara a little closer as we returned to where it had all begun.

The light was so bright...

Elara was waiting anxiously when I returned to the outside world. The rest of the squad seemed bored out of their minds. “Are you alright, Ay- Sir?”

I grasped her hand in mine, I didn’t give a damn who saw, didn’t care what they thought. “Fine, Elara. Just fine.” I flashed a smile at her for reassurance.

Her eyes narrowed slightly. “Did the vision reveal anything to you?”

I shook my head, then pushed a loose strand of hair back from her face. “I’ve been so caught up in the home I lost that I forgot what a home was, Elara. I kept thinking I had no true home any more, not since Ithaca, not since…what happened. But I was wrong. Home isn’t a building or a place, it's you."

Edited by Lesaberisa

@ marissalf: Thank you.

@ Striges: :D Glad you're enjoying it. I always thought it was kinda funny. Defeat a sith? Here's a lightsaber! And there's a giant fish man for you to kill.

@ bright_ephemera: I'm glad the crystal imagery carried through. Interesting trill on the nature of the force.

@ Irrissa: Oooo, I like Rosaleen already. :)

Maldecka the Kid #17

abt 2200 in 2 days.

SPOILERS: Bits of Ch 1. sorta

Tools of the Trade - We all use tools in our everyday lives, whether it be a skill like one's persuasive powers, equipment like one's weaponry, or the right bit of knowhow to solve the problem without the need for that weaponry. Write about the tools that your characters depend on...or the ones they avoid using.

Maldecka rolled her shoulders and took a deep breath. Today, was the day. Maybe...if everything went well.

Maldecka clenched her fist and forced herself to look down the hallway. Today IS the day. The day she earns her lightsaber.

A doorway opened and Zarro walked into the hall, "Hey Sunbeam."

Maldecka smiled up at her master, "Master Zarro. Are they ready for me?"

Zarro nodded, "Head on in. I'm not allowed to be present until later in your testing."

Maldecka walked over to the door, striving to still the nerves in her belly.

Zarro tugged on Maldecka's braid, "Just be yourself."

Maldecka grinned up at him, "It is a perfect tenth birthday challenge, isn't it Master?"

Zarro smiled and stepped back, leaving Maldecka alone before the door.

Then the door opened, and Maldecka stepped forward into the council chambers.

She fought the urge to look around and instead strode confidently forward until she was centered before the five members present.

Maldecka bowed from the waist, "Maldecka, Padawan of Knight Zarro Serrim, reporting for lightsaber testing."

Master Shan spoke first, "Padawan Maldecka, you've been with the Jedi for five years, correct?"

Maldecka folded her hands behind her back, "That is correct Master Shan."

Master Kiwiiks spoke next, a pleasant smile on her face, "That is a relatively short time. Especially to bring you before us today. Some Padawan's don't earn their lightsabers until they are sixteen or older."

Maldecka tilted her head, "And some wield their first when they are six." Maldecka hesitated, realizing Master Orgus' humor might not be appropriate here. "There is no universal age to earn your lightsaber. That's why you have these evaluations."

All the masters just looked at Maldecka, faces and force signatures not betraying a single though.

Master Mattiax snorted, "I don't know why we tolerated Orgus around initiates."

Master Shan leaned onto the arm rest of her chair, "Well, she didn't learn diplomacy from Orgus, Mattiax. All in favor of testing?"

Maldecka willed herself to breath. Every hand in the room went up, including Master Mattiax.

Kiwiiks stood, "Very well, we'll start with your force application."

Maldecka would never see the results of the standard testing. If she had seen the report it would have read something like this.

Force Application:

Basics: Average

Healing: Below Average

Visions: Far Below Average

Mediations: Un-able to get deeper than level 4 on 10 level scale.

Advanced Applications: Far Below Average. Could not use force persuade at all.

Diplomacy:

Languages: Bi-lingual, shows no aptitude for learning languages

Cultural Studies: Zabrak, Jedi, basic universal. Shows little interest in learning more local customs.

Diplomacy: Is slow to understand cultural interactions and balances, impatient.

Investigation: Inelegant. Does not tolerate untruths, but still fairly poor at uncovering appropriate evidence. Realign training to emphasize investigation skills.

Academics: Average.

Notes: Maldecka is no diplomat or negotiator. She is however a leader, and capable of pulling sentients to her side in the moment. Possible candidate for Armed Forces exchange.

Combatives:

Hand to Hand: Above Average. Very strong physically and smart about best application of strength.

Single Lightsaber, Basic Forms: Excellent.

Single Lightsaber, Advanced Forms: Above Average. Note: Learned advanced forms 14 months ago.

Duel Lightsaber, Basic Forms: Average. Note: Learned from Knight Zarro (single blade master) 5 months ago. Advise assigning a Duel Lightsaber master to Maldecka when she is planet side.

Marksmanship, Pistol: Average.

Marksmanship, Rifle: Average.

Combat Force: Above Average. Note: Excels in the moment, has trouble duplicating outside of combat.

Maldecka was nervous. The Council Members had written so much. No one but council members would get to see it though.

But...they were headed out to the mountains, and Master Zarro had rejoined them so that's good, right?

The group stopped at the entrance to a cave. Master Shan continued in, along with Master Zarro.

Maldecka looked curiously at the cave. The Force was moving about it oddly.

Master Kiwiiks coughed to regain Maldecka's attention, "This is one of the entrances to the crystal cave, where, if you are able to walk to, you will select your lightsaber crystal and then construct your lightsaber. If you can not press though here, please return to us. There is no shame in failing this at your age Maldecka."

Maldecka clenched her fist. There was shame in it now that Master Kiwiiks had pointed it out. Nodding Maldecka turned to the cave entrance.

Rolling her shoulders Maldecka walked into the dark.

The first thing she noticed was that it was dark and cold. Far darker and colder than a cave had any business being. Maldecka continued forward, relying on her vision to aid her.

Then, suddenly, the cave faded away, and Maldecka was left on a plane of snow. Shivering Maldecka looked around. Suddenly a blur sprinted past. Maldecka gasped slightly, only to need to duck down as two more blurs ran past. Looking up Maldecka was shocked to spot herself and Knight Zarro sparring with a large blue and white creature.

Suddenly the scene changed and Maldecka was sitting in the office of a council member. She could hear crying. Looking over she was surprised to see herself curled up on a seat and weeping. The door opened and Master Orgus walked in. Maldecka could feel sorrow and loss permeating the room. The vision of Orgus and herself walked into another room. Maldecke scrambled to stand and follow.

Then just as Maldecka got to her feet the scene changed. Maldecka was now in a tropical jungle. Walking a little further she could see wreckage. A moment and Maldecka spotted herself again, lifting pieces of debris and levitating sentients to safety. The vision Maldecka was older, and wore two lightsabers. And Maldecka could tell she was getting tired. Suddenly a piece of debris wobbled in the air and vision Maldecka was tackled to the side as the debris landed where she had been standing. A human girl the same age as the vision Maldecka had tackled her, and was now talking and getting to her feet.

Maldekca was being pelted with rain. She could hear shouting and could just make out a figure with two light sabers sparing with a Sith. But she crumpled under the weight of all the emotions flying about and could not bring herself to look up and see what was going on.

Suddenly she was back on Tython, though a part of it she had never been to before. Looking over she saw a much older version of herself walking forward with an astromeck droid at her side. Maldecka turned to where her older self was glaring. Master Orgus was on the ground, not moving, and the feet of a Sith. Maldecka could feel the cold fury and worry radiating off of her future self.

Before Maldecka could see the rest of the confrontations she was pelted with a slew of images, flashing past too fast to account for. Then everything went frighteningly still. Maldecka looked up, and saw a version of herself that she could barely recognize. She was tall, as tall as Master Orgus, and strong, wearing a simple tunic in blue, silver and grey. There was a human with bright red hair standing nearby and several dead bodies on the ground. The vision Maldecka was talking to a comm. Walking forward Maldecka realized that the comm was Master Orgus. They both radiated sadness and the other human stepped back, emotions carefully blank. The conversation finished before Maldecka could get close enough to hear what was said.

Just as she was about to reach her future self the vision faded away and Maldecka was back in the cave. But something wasn't right.

Looking ahead Maldecka could see a flickering light. Creeping closer Maldecka was surprised to see two people sitting around a fire in the middle of the cave.

A small troll, dressed as a Jedi, looked over to where Maldecka was hiding, "You should know, I usually toss people at their greatest fear. But that wouldn't work with you."

Maldecka stepped forward into the firelight, "Do I know you Master Jedi?"

The troll smiled, "You do not, but I know you. That is why, instead of conquering fear to earn your light saber, you get to choose."

Maldecka glanced at the other figure, who sat cross-legged and covered in a long blue robe, "Choose? Why wouldn't I …." The troll was gone when Maldecka looked back.

"He does that. Thinks he's clever."

Maldecka looked back over. The figure reached up and pulled down the hood. Maldecka found herself looking at herself. An older version of Maldecka looked back with a smile much like Knight Zarro's.

"Call me Mal, no one does anymore."

Maldecka tilted her head, "But Master Orgus does."

Mal said nothing.

Maldecka felt her hands fly to her face, "No. Is he...."

Mal shrugged, face carefully blank, "I don't know. The last vision the troll showed you? That was about a day ago for me."

Maldecka sat down, "So. I have to choose."

Mal smiled, "Yup. All those visions you saw? My memories. The Troll knew we would stomp right over any fears he tossed at us, so he plucked me from my timeline for a quick detour here."

Maldecka looked over at the knight in awe, "I become you?!"

Mal smirked, "That's the choice. Make a light saber today, become me tomorrow. All the good, all the bad."

Maldecka's reply died, replaced by a meek, "All the bad?"

Mal reached to her side and grabbed her two light sabers. Pulling them forward she held them up for Maldecka to see, "All the bad. And there is a lot of it."

Maldecka was speechless. One of the light sabers was decorated as Maldecka planned, with the leather handle and the delicate designs on the hilt. The other....the other was Knight Zarro's light saber.

Mal looked down at the two light sabers, "If you do not make a light saber today, it will change things. It will save some people, it will doom others."

Maldecka looked up, "And if I do?"

Mal smiled, "You've already seen some of it. You're going to be a Knight one way or another. The question is of magnitudes."

Maldecka reflected her confusion on her face.

Mal glanced around and leaded down, "I saw what I was not supposed too. If you choose to walk away today, you will walk away in the future. You will not do what I do because you will not be a solid rock against evil." Mal rocked back and looked sad, "Not that being a rock is the best thing in the galaxy either."

Maldecka glared at her future self, "You're not terribly helpful."

Mal laughed and suddenly jumped to her feet, light sabers in hand, ignited and humming, "Do I look like a councilor to you? Do I look patient enough for delicate negotiations? I bring criminals to justice. I protect the Republic against those who would see her fall. I am a Knight of the Jedi Order!"

Maldecka's eyes were wide. Mal wielded Zarro's blue blade and the other....it was like looking at the sun but streaked with dark lines and spots. It was not the purity that the Jedi pursue.

Maldecka swallowed, "Are you falling to the dark side?"

Mal turned the light sabers off, "Yes."

Maldecka took a deep breath, "That's my choice, isn't it? Make the light saber and fall, or wait and stay pure."

Mal smiled a tired smile, "Either is a good path. And the fall is slow, with many good consequences, for what it's worth."

Maldecka looked at the wall Mal gazed at. It showed flashes of Mal letting people go, talking a cyborg into surviving, sending a Sith to the temple, fighting monsters in a swamp. It showed Mal surrounded by people who cared in a sloppy way, not the clean arm's length caring of the Jedi.

Maldecka turned back to Mal, "But you're still falling."

Mal frowned, "Yes. And someday it will catch up with me and I will pay a price for it."

Maldecka frowned, "If I go back, will it save Master Zarro? Master Orgus?"

Mal closed her eyes, misery radiating off of her, "I don't know. But you won't save...nevermind."

Maldecka closed her eyes. When she opened them Mal was gone, as was the fire. Maldecka could see the glittering lights of the crystal cavern ahead.

She sat there for a long time, looking out into the dark. She knew that the textbook answer was to go back, explain the vision and seek some wisdom from Council.

She also knew she really wanted a light saber. She wanted to do great things and be able to fight beside Knight Zarro and Master Orgus.

Maldecka took a deep breath. Holding it, she made an oath: Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly. Exhaling, Maldecka stood up. Turning she walked into the glittering lights of the crystal caverns, where her master waited.

In her hand was an amber crystal, streaked with darker tones.

Author's note: Just so you all know, almost done with Alderaan is as far as I got. I'm pretty slow at SWTOR and My comp hard drive crashed recently so I've had no computer on which to play. My work has a huge amount of down time and that's where I've been writing all this. So my choice was to crawl up a wall wondering what happens and then be tempted to spoil it for myself, or to distract myself with pre-game adorableness and wait until I can play it myself. So, no spoilers y'all :cool:

Prompt - Teachers and Heroes

Title - Hard Learning

Class - Jedi Knight

No spoilers

Aaran, sixteen years old, stood on the precipice of the waterfall, looking down at the Jedi Temple. It was a long drop to the bottom, and he felt a frightening dizziness staring down. He had to do this, he knew. He had to.

"I'm scared," he said.

"I know, son," Jasin replied.

"I'm gonna go splat, Dad," Aaran said sarcastically.

"Trust in the Force," Jasin said, "and follow me."

He jumped. Aaran sucked in his breath, plugged his nose...and jumped.

Prompt - Home Ec

Title - Dinner

Class - Trooper

No spoilers

Prudii was making his specialty, Gi dumpling soup, when Tanno and Forex entered the mess. Forex moved off to the side, plugging into the power converter they'd installed in the room so he could be with the squad even as they ate. Tanno moved over beside Prudii.

"What'cha makin', boss?" he asked.

"Dinner," Prudii replied with a grin.

Dorne and Jorgan entered, and then Yuun. They sat down at the table and talked amongst themselves. Tanno reached over, picked up a spoon, and scooped out a little bit of the soup with a beautiful chunk of fish in the center of the spoon. He reached up to put it in his mouth–

And Prudii smacked his hand down with his ladle. The fish (and the gooey broth) went flying to the air to land straight in Elara's perfectly-made hair. Prudii's face reddened. Elara, uncharacteristically, picked up a dinner roll and hurled it. It bounced off Vik's face. Vik went for the nearest portable food and hit Jorgan. Jorgan reached for something.

Chaos ensued.

(I)t does leave them (the Jedi) in the somewhat embarrassing position of a brotherhood of flamethrowers who have sworn not to char anything.
I love this look at the Force from the perspective of someone who cannot feel it. This quote in particular is insightful. Granted, Wynston’s perspective is hardly objective (you’re right in your analysis of the Agent story regarding Force-users) but even so, he hit upon one of the core problems in the Jedi philosophy. Plus it’s an awesome analogy, period.

@ Lady-Jean: The Creature from the Black Lagoon at the end seemed to come out of nowhere; maybe a one-line causally mentioned guardian or something. On topic: I really liked Maldecka’s vision. The stories (game and otherwise) suggest the “Jedi Trials” are primarily combat-oriented, which ought to be a cinch for someone like Maldecka. Even this early you show she prefers the quick route. Also: Jedi report cards! Nice touch.

@ Irrissa: I can’t help but feel bad for Rosa, knowing how the prologue goes. On the other hand, its sometimes a lot of fun to imagine (and play!) a character with no background baggage and discover who they are through the story.

Character: Amurri (BH)

"Blizz see that boss is good at avoiding trouble. Blizz wonders how boss does this?"

I smiled down at him. "Listen for Skadge. Go the opposite direction."

Big giggles. Thank you.

@ YoshiRalphElan: Food fight and leap of faith, all in one entry. Nice.

Story Time!

Character: Jurial (JC)

Occurs after Sink or Swim. Sort of a spoiler for a Tython quest. Navigation in a more figurative than literal sense.

I set the datapad down. Here, in this text nearly lost to history, a truth that transcends time and space.

“It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live by them.”

The ancient words of Avamarivash the Warrior-Poet.

We must remember. I must always remember.

Note:

Jurial’s discovery is more properly attributed to Alfred Adler, 1870-1937. I could blame Bright and Lady-Jean for shaking loose this little drabble, but I’ve wanted to do something with this quote for a while. Something longer, but hey, Jurial can be succinct.

Thanks for all the kind comments, I never know how well the consular story will be received. Here's another Navigation short, following Magdalane's stay with her sister.

Magdalane left her sister’s ship and made her way to the command center at Aurek Base. She’d been gone for ten days, and she could see surprise on the faces who knew her as she walked. Her resolve was strong, her heart and mind settled and clear. Miriah and Corso had hugged her tightly, told her they would stand by until she contacted them, and waited on the ship. She exited the lift at the bottom and made her way to where she knew she’d find Felix Iresso. She stopped, gathered her courage around her like a cloak, and entered the room.

Lt. Iresso was bent over his desk, studying a map. He was very aware his Jedi was gone, and it had ripped him apart when he admitted to himself he was in love with her. Every day since she’d just disappeared he’d felt empty, colder than usual on this frozen rock. The constant nausea made him tired, and no matter what he tried he was unable to shake the memory of her eyes, laughing at him when she was happy, boring into his when she was unhappy. He felt rather than saw the shadow she made over his map, and when he saw the plain brown robe he looked up sharply.

“Master Jedi, I thought you’d gone for good,” he said, unaware that his relief shone on his face. “It is good to see you are well.” She bowed slightly, and lifted her arms to peel back the hood of the robe she wore.

“We have much to discuss, Lieutenant. Before that, I need to ask you a question.” She felt her hands tremble for a moment, and called on the force to steady her. She saw him nod, and he motioned for her to sit across from him. “Are you comfortable working with me here?”

He looked at her with a curious frown. Could she tell, he wondered, that he had developed feelings other than admiration for her? “I enjoy our work together. Do you not? Is that why you left?” She shook her head.

“I very much enjoy your company, Felix. This.. alliance is one I am having difficulty navigating. I fear I’ve grown quiet fond of you, something I’ve never allowed myself to do. It’s a new path for me, one with no markers and no map.” She stood and paced away from him, seeing that they were alone in the room. He watched her intently, unable to believe the words that were still hanging between them. When she spoke again, she remained with her back to him, so that if his reaction was negative, her face wouldn’t betray her. “I need to know if this path is something that you’d want to travel as well.” She held her breath, unaware that she was doing so, but unable to move as she waited for his response.

He crossed to her quickly. “Magdalane, I would like nothing more than to travel with you. But I have concerns as well.” He almost put his hands on her shoulders, but hesitated, not knowing what the rules of touching Jedi were. She whirled around to face him, the hope in her eyes almost undoing him.

“We may not move quickly down this path, but to know it’s available for travel is wonderful. I know you have questions, I have them, too. We’ll make our own way, as we go.” She held out her gloved hand, and he took it, bringing it to the crook of his arm as he escorted her to the lift.

Hi, been AGES; finally got the game installed again...blah blah...long story short here I am. Quick word of thanks to all that have posted! I love reading the posts.

Taken from NotLP: First Impressions set around meeting Tanno Vik.

It didn't take Dorne and I long to get through the Imperial forces. Supposedly some of them were called elite forces? With Dorne keeping me alive nothing could stop us getting to our objective and getting off this planet.

Standing over his body as he rested forward in the chair, I looked down on the newest member of Havoc. Everything in his file already made my face pull back in a tight grin at the possibilities this man would unlock within the team but underneath what I had heard and read I was concerned.

'About time. Now can I kick that sorry sack to the curb?' His voice was rougher than I had expected but steady. Beside me Elara stiffened.

'You will address me as sir. Is that clear?' Protocol was not his strong point.

Soon I had dealt with the politician and was finally back on the ship seeking permission to get off this rock. Behind me the rest of the crew assembled; including Vik.

'Well done Havoc, good to see the latest member has arrived. Any trouble with him?'

'Nothing I couldn't handle' I grinned. Dorne let out a regulation approved tight smile and stepped up to my side.

'Permission to speak sir?'

'Granted as always.' I knew what was coming but at least she was saying it not me. Vik scared me. Not in the physical sense but my concern was that he would rat us out for profit at the first sign of opportunity. Elara was my biggest concern, she's all I got now. I pulled myself back into reality and added the final word to the conversation.

'We need Vik and until we don't need him we are stuck with him.'

'Thanks for the warm welcome guys.' His cold eyes fixed on Dorne. After signing off with Garza I followed Vik back to his quarters.

'Don't you ever think about crossing me; bringing harm to this team, especially Dorne. Any sign of trouble and I will not hesitate to arrange a nice 'accident'. She is my world and you hurt her, put her in danger for profit, disrespect her, look at her wrong and so help me, I will come down on you like a ton of bricks.' My voice dropped as I held him up against the cold, pale wall, my eyes locked on his.

'I got it...sir' My hand relaxed and he straightened. My legs carried me out of his room and to my bed, to Dorne and I was for a moment relaxed. I would have my eyes on Vik and I certainly don't trust him.

After meeting Vik and letting Elara speak I really wish I had socked Vik one when I had the chance.

So, yeah, I am so pathetic that I wrote a short (really short) story on my vacation.....GAH!!! :rolleyes:

Anyways, I have been reading stuff while in the car....when I wasn't getting carsick anyways and I have been enjoying everything. Unfortunately, my laptop is about to die and someone forgot to pack the car charger.....

I am going to attempt to post this story before it dies and I will post comments later if I have the time. If not, loving it all as usual and a special welcome back Iressa and Morganni!!

Hopefully the story is ok, I get a little bored in the car! :o

Title: The Scenic Route

Characters: Belladonya-smuggler

Setting: Taris missions, occurs at the same time as That's Not Funny!

“I think we’re lost, Captain,” Corso told Bella as he looked around, earning him a glare from her dark green eyes.

“We are NOT lost!” she retorted, still annoyed at her dead datapad which had her navigator on it and at Corso, who wasn’t looking too good. Bella was normally good with direction, but Taris was a mess of ruins, swamps, and wilderness which made it difficult for her to get her bearings

“Do you know where we're at?”

“Sure....uh....we're headed to the Draay outpost, silly” Bella stalled. Stupid datapad!

Corso stumbled a little, “Yes, Captain, but do you know where Draay is?”

Bella smiled, trying to look confident, “Of course I do!”

“Really?” Corso asked, unable to keep the doubt from his voice. He stumbled again, feeling warmer every minute. He was also starting to get a little lightheaded.

“Trust me, I got a good look at the map before my datapad died. We're headed in the right direction,” she assured him, then muttered, “I think.”

“Ok, Captain, but I'm pretty sure I've seen this group of trees clumped by these ruins at least once already.”

Bella sighed, knowing he was right. She was also getting worried about him, his normally tanned skin was getting pale and he was definitely tiring.

She and her sister, Mallay, had helped acquire a vaccine from the ruins of Dynamet General that had been produced just before the bombardment of Taris for Dr. Del. However, Dr. Del discovered that the vaccine wouldn't prevent the current strain but figured out a way to update it. She would need help though. Bella and Mallay agreed to take the outdated rakghoul virus vaccine, then go out and get bitten by one of those nasty creatures. The vaccine wouldn’t prevent them from getting infected, but would help their bodies fight off the virus while producing antibodies to fight off the current strain. Then a more current vaccine could be made by taking blood samples from the girls while their bodies were fighting off the virus. They needed to report to the Draay outpost after being bitten where there was a medical station setup that could analyze their blood. Mallay had gotten injected, despite protests from Sargent Jorgan, and they went in one direction to search out rakghouls. Bella was about to get injected when Corso stepped in and took it instead. He apologized, but he couldn’t stand the thought of her putting herself in danger like that. Especially since she had such a loving family that would miss her greatly if something happened to her. Why does he have to be such a nice guy?!, she thought, angry that he put himself in danger for her and desperately hoping he would be alright.

“Ok, Corso, let’s rest for a moment and see if I can get this thing powered up enough to see where we are and what direction we should be going in.” After a few moments, Bella got the navigation running long enough to see that they weren’t that far from Draay outpost, but they were too far north. She looked over at Corso, who had passed out. She pulled some water out of her pack and lightly slapped his face a little, trying to wake him. He finally opened his eyes and Bella got him sitting up giving him the water.

“Drink, Corso,” she pleaded, “only a little further south and we can get you some help.” Bella hoped that droid would have instructions for them after taking a blood sample. She watched Corso’s brown eyes start to droop shut again and quickly got up, pulling him to his feet.

“Come on Farm Boy, time to get moving!” Bella ordered, helping him walk. He really wasn’t looking too good and Bella wanted to get him to that droid ASAP!

“We not lost anymore?” he asked weakly.

“We were never really lost.....just taking the scenic route.” Bella smirked, trying to take their minds off the danger Corso could be in.

That got a smile from Corso, “does Taris have scenery that anyone would really want to see?”

“Sure.....there's all kinds of...uh...nature here!” Bella giggled, her smile not reaching her eyes. She wanted to keep him talking. If he was talking, he wouldn't pass out again, she hoped.

By the time Draay came into sight, nightfall was approaching and Bella was struggling to hold Corso up and was practically dragging him along. She could feel heat radiating off of him through her clothes and knew his temperature must be really high. She hoped that was a good sign that his body was producing the necessary antibodies to fight off the virus. They made their way into the north entrance to Draay and Bella saw Sargent Jorgan coming in the other entrance carrying an unconscious Mallay, who looked about as good as Corso did.

They found the droid, who directed them into a large tent where Dr. Cel had sent two assistants ahead. There were two cots set up and Aric lay Mallay on one of them then helped Bella get Corso into the other. The medical assistants immediately went to work while Bella and Aric sat, both wearing worried looks on their faces. The waiting game had begun.

Edited by alaurin

Comments!

@Bright, I love this view of Force-users from Wyston’s perspective. He’s come to a conclusion that makes a whole lot of sense, especially in the context of the IA’s world.

@Irrissa, I love getting a look at characters pre-class stories, and the idea of Rosa starting things off knowing nothing of her old life should make things interesting. Looking forward to more!

@Lesaberisa,

Home isn’t a building or a place, it's you."

<3 this. Arys and Elara are just so darn good together.

@Lady-Jean, Jedi report card--too adorable! I enjoyed all of this, especially Mal wrestling with the future. The dark undertones that are starting to color the story as Mal gets older and the consequences get more tangible are great.

@Yoshi, Trooper food fight! I’d hate to see the kitchen after that :)

@Striges, Profound and succinct, I like it.

@Magdalane, Yay! Good for Magdalane taking her sister’s advice. And her and Iresso agreeing to keep the romance path open and not necessarily rush into anything seems like a sensible compromise. (Not that the Jedi would probably see it that way :p)

@Leonara, There are some companions that really need to be put in their places. Your trooper seems to have done a pretty good job of that.

@alaurin,

“We were never really lost.....just taking the scenic route.”

The oldest (and best) excuse in the book!

And the story — something slightly little less doom & gloom for Kinka (just for you, Lesaberisa :p)

NotLP: Allies

With Kinka and Kaliyo. Takes place a couple weeks after Health. No spoilers.

“Get up, I’m taking you out.”

Kaliyo stood in the doorway, hands on her hips, with an expression that said she wasn’t taking no for an answer. Kinka, meanwhile, grunted something unintelligible from beneath the heavy comforter on her disheveled bed.

“Go away, Kaliyo. I’m going to therapy just like you guys wanted. Dr. Norsen said nothing about having to leave my room.”

“I could care less about what the shrink says. I’m bored. Besides,” she added, “I’ve got a nice bottle of Corellian whiskey; best therapy in the galaxy.”

Kinka grudgingly stuck a hand out from beneath the bedding and groped for the promised drink.

“Nuh uh. Out of bed.” Kaliyo grinned to herself as she got an idea. “We’ll make a game of it. I’ll give you a shot for every five steps you take toward the shower. You can finish the bottle if you actually get dressed and leave the ship.”

More grumbling emanated from the bed, but slowly the covers began to move, at last birthing the even more disheveled agent. Kaliyo frowned, trying to remember the last time she’d seen someone look so awful. Hutta. Definitely Hutta.

“For kark’s sake, what have you been doing in here?” The agent’s hair was uncombed and piled on top of her head, and her makeup —still on her face from three days ago — had smudged and bled in frightening ways. “Doesn’t matter. Shower.”

Kinka scowled and took a wobbly step off the bed. “Where’s my drink?”

“Five steps,” Kaliyo reminded her, hoisting the bottle aloft.

One hour and two-thirds of a bottle of vintage Corellian whiskey later, Kinka and Kaliyo tottered off the ship and toward the bright lights of Nar Shaddaa’s dazzling nightlife.

“What should we do first?”

Kinka shrugged, the movement making her tipsy on her three-inch heels. “I don’t know,” she giggled, the alcohol imbuing a bit of levity, “...shoot stuff?”

Kaliyo linked her arm through the agent’s and cackled with glee. “You know me way too well.”

NotLP: Health (Continuing in this prompt for all of Kinka's therapy letters.)

Title: Morning After

Takes place right after the above. Spoiler for Kaliyo's companion questline.

Dear Dad,

Liquor is bad. I don’t know if you’re aware of this, Dad, but nothing good can come from it. I can't remember anything from last night (or nights for all I know), but the liquor lesson is now ingrained in my consciousness. The pounding headache has made sure of that.

That’s what I get for indulging in a wild night (again, nights?) out with one of my crewmates. You’d absolutely hate her. She’s sneaky, she’s rude, she’s often bombed on some kind of substance or another, and she once (well, once that I know of) sold Imperial secrets to terrorists. I can just imagine your face right now. Eight shades of red, just like Mother used to say.

But for all her faults, Kaliyo does know how to party. If ever I needed a distraction...well, my brain is plenty distracted at this point, so mission accomplished. She tells me I even had a pretty good time. Stars, I don’t want to know how that happened. But I needed it.

I could try to go into more detail, but I’m about thirty seconds from throwing up all over my ship droid on the way to the refresher. I don’t think he appreciates when that happens.

At least he didn’t the last time.

Love,

Kinka

@ alaurin: Nice story. That mission always had me raising my eyebrow, just seemed so...unwise. Love your take on it.

@ marissalf: Oh Kalyio...such a fascinating character. Really liked the piece. :)

Maldecka the Kid #18

abt 400 words in 1 hour

First Day on the Job - Some of our characters have very long, very colorful employment histories. Others picked a job or had it picked for them when they were very young. Pick one of the jobs your character has held and describe the day they came to it.

Maldecka scratched a rash on her arm. She had been excited. Still was.

Her first Jedi Knight mission. She and Master Zarro were assigned to help oversee a prisoner transfer. Should have been simple. Master Zarro had made her study extensively anyway. History on the prisoner, the planet, the transfer rout, everything.

Good thing he did, because of course something went wrong and the prisoner's old partner tried to spring him.

Maldecka was actually pretty proud of this bit. She had protected all the guards from laser fire with her lightsaber while Master Zarro had to catch up after being knocked from the transport. Maldecka wasn't sure she would ever forget the way the guards looked at her. It had made her feel special, untouchable.

That was around the time the crooks made their get away. They had the home field advantage, Master Zarro had said. But...so did Maldecka, thanks to all that studying.

It was a long chase through markets, restaurants, kitchens and one theme park. Maldecka wasn't sure if she would ever look at a tilt-a-whirl the same way again.

But they had them cornered. And that was when they took swan dives into a passing garbage barge. Maldecka and Zarro had no choice but to follow. Luckily the barge driver had a head on his shoulders and maneuvered the barge away from anything within jumping distance.

That was when the criminals decided to make their last stand. They fired their guns until they had no charge left. Then they tossed trash. Maldecka tried to block a container but accidentally cut it open with her lightsaber, and ended up covered in glowing purple goo.

Eventually they were able to restrain the criminals and transfer both to secure holding cells. That was when Maldecka started to get really itchy.

"You know Mal, most Jedi don't discover alien allergies until much later on in life. Or at least not on their first mission!"

Maldecka looked up from scratching her arm, "Master Orgus! I thought you were off world."

Orgus walked in followed by Zarro, "I was in the area and really wanted to know how those clowns lead Zarro on such a merry chase."

Zarro's embarrassment was rolling off of him, "Could have happened to anyone."

Orgus just rolled his eyes, "Sure buddy. So spill kid. What happened?"

Maldecka grinned, and started to talk.

Behind on indexing trying to catch up on comments instead.

@marissalf Your stories with letters are always so bittersweet. Also, Kaliyo being the kind of caretaker person who uses alcohol as an incentive is spot on.

@Magdalane I love how Magdalane turned to Miriah for help. It's also interesting to see Miriah's perspective about the Order. I'm glad the consular class quests showed that the Order actually doesn't disapprove of all relationships the limitations of the conversation wheel and the absolute darkside/lightside values sometimes make everything the order says seem absolute black and white. The Iresso romance doesn't get the attention most others seem to get but it is very sweet the way you write it.

@bright_ephemera I agree with Striges, the flamethrower analogy is perfect. I wonder if Vector would ever give him a counter perspective regarding the "mindlessness" of the Force. Supposedly the killiks are all connected to the Force while they don't use it the way Jedi and Sith do.

@Irrissa yay! Welcome back. Neat start to Rosaleen's story, since we all start with a blank slate trooper she really is one! I hope there's more.

@Lesaberisa Lost on Belsavis, I sympathise. I still can never remember how to get around that wall in the first area.

Amurri's trouble strategy is perfect strategy. Navigation by Khem stomach also hilarious. Then I got something in my eye for the Voss piece with Ayrs :p.

@Striges I loved that quote, it perfectly fits even though it was said by someone quite different. For the name you used is Avarmarivash one of the poets from the heroic on Tython? I keep forgetting to write their names down.

@Leonara Welcome back! I like this take on dealing with Vik. He is such a weird choice for Garza to insist on, even though he grew on my trooper eventually especially after I read about Weequay. Also, I think it's pretty much given that if you have a chance to punch your companion you'll probably regret not taking it.

@alaurin Ack mean cutting it off like that! Also, that quest in Taris is super weird. Of all the "you want me to do what?" quests that one is tops.

@Lady-Jean

Orgus just rolled his eyes, "Sure buddy. So spill kid. What happened?"

Read that in Orgus's voice. Perfect.

@all, thanks for the kind words on Wynston's Force-piece. I think I channeled some of my frustration at being unable to write stuff into his frustration at Sith & co, so...therapeutic exercise.

@Irrissa, great to see you back. Intriguing start for a new player character who really is coming in as a blank slate. Also I just really like the text colour you picked :)

@Lesaberisa, your Navigation trio was hilarious. Ayrs's realization in the Voss piece was sweet - and good for him.

@Lady-Jean, Maldecka's evaluation seems to cover a lot of things...except her facing herself. Could be trouble. And for First day on the Job, you have me envisioning Maldecka Force-leaping from moving attraction to moving attraction, much to everybody else's consternation.

@Yoshi, the splat line must go through every hero's head right before the leap of faith...right? Well, it would through mine, anyway. As for Prudii, I can't help but think that a food fight can only improve the overall interior decor of that ship.

@Striges, I will keep reading the teachings of Avamarivash the Warrior-Poet for as long as you write/invent/adapt/rephrase/import/recreate them. <3

@Magdalane, I may have melted a little at Iresso's taking Mags' hand. You're right, there probably aren't accepted rules for touching Jedi. Even when you do just want to sweep them up in your arms.

@Leonara, de-lurking! Tanno Vik could do with a talking to...pretty much all the time. All the more so if anything you care about is within illicit trafficking distance of him.

@alaurin, I will gladly abet additional stories during downtime :p Taris is annoying enough to navigate when you do have a minimap. Poor Corso.

@marissalf,

More grumbling emanated from the bed, but slowly the covers began to move, at last birthing the even more disheveled agent. Kaliyo frowned, trying to remember the last time she’d seen someone look so awful. Hutta. Definitely Hutta.
For some reason I like everything about this paragraph. The imagery, Kaliyo's down-to-earth (-to-Hutta?) observation. I like. Poor Kinka is...working through her problems, one could say, but it's not going in a great direction.

So this thing has been in my head, rampaging around simultaneously demanding and refusing to be written, for the better part of two weeks. (At some point I really must circulate that "you've perpetrated enough Quinn fic" memo to all the assorted chambers, nooks, and crooked alleyways of my brain.) Ruth and Quinn, early and late in their association: Failure and As Time Goes By. 400 and 700 words, no spoilers.

Summer, 10 ATC - 1 year before the confirmation of the Wrath

Fury-class vessel

He doesn’t want you.

The thought shouldn’t come up. It shouldn’t have to come up. Ruth tried, hard, to give her XO the terms he wanted. Proper terms, appropriate for their respective stations. She wasn’t the formal Lord he had walked into her life expecting, but neither would she ever abuse his trust.

And walking up to someone and offering them one’s career was trust.

She already needed Captain Quinn. That wasn’t a question of her immediate feelings, that was his making himself indispensable professionally. It was easier to be a Sith, and to do what needed doing, with someone there to take care of the details. And keep the ship running. And provide intelligence. And explain history in that voice that made her regret every ending.

All he wanted was to serve a Sith who could be a commander, who would grant him a little basic space.

She turned over in bed and screwed her eyes shut. It was very, very difficult to come out of heart-in-the-throat physical exertion and turn around to come face to face with this intense serious man who wanted her…wanted her to succeed. That was all. He would be equally if not more thrilled, she told herself sternly, if she were a proper killing-machine man. With scary spikes and…and anything, just not a moonstruck young woman, which was what he had.

He would still be awake now. She never meant to track him but it was hard not to be aware. He would be working, pursuing his military interests. Anticipating problems. Making her victories possible. She could make some excuse to join him. Just to talk, just to listen. No one would fault her for finding ways to be near him. It could be any number of practical reasons. And maybe, somehow…

She rolled back and tried to distract herself by not reviewing running into him on the way out of the briefing room today. Her first insane urge had been to lean into him, but he had danced away from the contact with a speed and grace that suggested he wasn’t just a…you were admiring him running away from you. Let’s repeat what he’s made clear: he doesn’t want you!

When she had discussed the potential difficulties of managing staff with her father, somehow this had never come up.

She gave up on sleep and went for a shower instead.

Seventeen years later, between Timelines 2.5 and 3 of Ruth Means Compassion:

Summer, 27 ATC - 16 years after the confirmation of the Wrath

Ruth's command ship

Ruth sat on the bed, disassembling her saber to clean it; Quinn poked at a holoprojection of force disposition, filing through his options; both were familiar enough with their respective tasks to talk while they worked. They were alone together, which made it a domestic scene by the standards of life in the field.

At the moment, Ruth was blushing. “All right, I was…you know how young I was. And I…even then, Malavai. I tried not to bother you.”

“You made a creditable effort.”

She heard the smile in his voice and felt her cheeks warming further when she looked up to see it. “Was I that bad?”

“In my presence? The strain was visible, and not lost on me." He rearranged ships as he spoke, preparing for some imaginary onslaught. "Out? It wasn’t my place to comment, but from the energy usage profiles on the ship I had always assumed you preferred your showers cold.”

“Ha! No, only…only once you showed up.”

For a few moments they worked in silence. Quinn finished one layout and saved it before returning to the beginning of the scenario. "I worked late, those nights, to escape thinking about you. About warming you." His motions were quick, precise; his voice was slow and thoughtful. "The command you would never give."

"I couldn’t make you. I wouldn’t try." Her hands were careful, gentle; her tone was earnest.

“It might have simplified things if you did.”

She stopped, her chest suddenly tight. “You wanted me to?”

He stared at her, visibly trembling on the edge of an answer. A moment later he dropped his gaze. “Only in daydreams. In truth…” he took the effort to meet her eyes again… “if you had loosed that self-restraint, pressed against my objections until I gave in...I would have submitted to you. I might even have admired you. But I wouldn't have loved you."

“Then I'm glad we waited." She shared a smile with him and then picked out her lightsaber's crystal heart to run over it with a soft cloth. "Honestly, for a long time I didn’t think it would ever happen.”

“Really? I wondered, at times, how certain you were along the way." He saved the holo simulation, restarted it with another few gestures' worth of changes. "Was I to be one of your converts, sent astray by some unexpected kindness so you had only to wait for my change of heart?”

"That...that was never what I meant–"

"I know. You made it clear that so far as you were concerned I was a free man." He swept his simulation aside with a wave and turned his attention to her. "It was humbling. You are, you always were, an incredible force. To see you prepare to take the weight of the Empire on your shoulders, command, fight, bleed, conquer, to know your triumphs and your wounds…to come face to face with you at the end of day after grueling day and know what comfort you desired, that you turned away from without conscious hint or complaint for no reason more than one servant's wishes? In all our journeys together I never saw you let anyone stop you…except me, with a word."

She set her work tray aside and reached for him. "Your words mattered to me."

“As they never had to anyone." He closed the space between them and kissed her hand, cradling it in both of his like something precious. "If I had hopes above my station it was because you made them possible. And I loved you for it.” Slowly, carefully, he turned her palm up and ran his fingertips up the inside of her forearm, leaving nerves tingling in his wake. When he spoke again his voice was lower, as soft as his touch. “What did you think about?”

“What do you mean?”

“Those nights alone. If you thought about me, what I would do.” A strange note had entered his voice, and his look now, while still touched with wonder, was intent. He reached for her cheek and she leaned into his touch as naturally, as irresistibly as she always had. “I didn’t fulfill it then. I couldn’t, then. But I’m free to now. If…you wish to tell me.”

Notes, with game Chapter 3 Warrior spoilers:

Helpful reminder: He still bet against her that time the crisis came, reasoning that an overwhelming force who couldn’t pick or bear to finish her enemies couldn’t end up winning. The security she provided just contributed to his overconfidence when the time came to strike. Sparking stars, that character makes me angry.

Anyway, the game story has enough coercive overtones to it that “no for an answer” never quite seems to be guaranteed, and he does sense that in this continuity. (I know the class is built to be one long power trip and it still creeps me out.)

It occurs to me that much of Ruth’s Timeline 2.5 and 3 is about trying to recapture the things of her youth: her love, her purpose, and her innocence. Well, two out of three ain’t bad.

Edited by bright_ephemera

awww, Kabeone, sorry about leaving you hanging! I was able to write the ending today while my kids were having fun with their grandparents and the hubby was napping.....ah, vacation! Hopefully I got all of the editing done. :p

Title: Once Bitten...

Prompt: Health

Characters: Belladonya-smuggler, Mallayse-trooper, Corso and Jorgan

Setting: Taris

Spoilers: Smuggler and Trooper, Taris mission, just after That's Not Funny! and The Scenic Route

“Subject one is a twenty-three year old human female with a cybernetic enhancement, approximately five feet four inches, one hundred fifteen pounds, excellent physical condition, bitten several times by rakghouls about two hours ago. Subject was unconscious upon arrival and has fever with chills. She was given an outdated vaccine and scans show that her body is producing antibodies.”

“Subject two is a twenty-five year old human male, approximately six feet, one hundred ninety pounds, excellent physical condition, bitten several times by rakghouls about two and a half hours ago. Subject lost consciousness after arriving and has fever with chills. He was given an outdated vaccine and scans show his body is producing antibodies.”

Bella and Aric just sat, listening to the assistants assess Corso and Mallay as they hooked them to monitors, unable to do anything else at that point. They had helped the assistants remove their armor plating, leaving Mallay in just a tank top and her pants and Corso just in pants. Both were still unconscious, the assistants hoping they would stay that way since neither could be sedated until their fevers broke.

Aric spoke up finally, “When we left, you were about to get your injection. What happened?”

Bella sighed, concerned when Corso started tossing and turning in his cot, “Corso decided that he didn’t want me endangering myself and took the injection before I could stop him.” She shook her head, “Why did he have to do that?! I'm the one who agreed to help Dr. Cel. I knew the danger and was willing to take the risk to help so many people.”

“So did he,” Aric replied, worry showing on his face, “I may not know him that well, but he's a good guy, Bella, and there's no way he was going to let you put yourself in danger like that if he could prevent it.” He smirked at the look on her face, “Now, don’t get all pissy, it’s a man thing. Most of us don’t like women putting themselves in any kind of danger.”

“Well, I didn’t see you taking Mallay’s injection. You are a man and didn’t feel the need to protect the ‘little woman’ from danger.” Bella retorted.

Aric looked over at the cot where his CO was starting to toss and turn. “Being in the military with woman taking risks alongside you cools that drive a little. There's been more than one time that a woman has given me a dressing down for trying to protect her. I still feel that protective urge, but I try to think before automatically reacting.” he explained, “However, if Mallay hadn’t ordered me back, I would have done the same as Corso.....I almost did anyways, but she took it before I could disobey her orders.”

Bella smiled at that, “She probably knew you'd do that and if you had succeeded, she would have likely beat the crap out of you as soon as you were healthy again.”

“She may have tried,” Aric snorted, “but I'm much bigger than she is. Also, I could have just found a snake to scare her with.”

Bella laughed, “Let me guess, Mallay ran into a snake earlier.”

Aric nodded, grinning, “I don’t think I've ever seen anyone take out a little snake with an assault cannon before! She didn't find it as funny as I did though.”

“Yeah, she's terrified of snakes so watch out, because if she ever finds out what you're afraid of, you'll be in for some payback.”

“Who says I'm afraid of anything?!” he snickered, then he sobered, “It would've been worth being punished though,” he admitted, nodding towards Mallay. “I hate seeing her take the risks she does, soldier or not.”

Bella studied him for a moment, “I'm glad you are in Havoc with her and that you've become friends. She was worried that you would continue hating her and treating her like she was a stupid rookie that got lucky. Instead, you've treated her with respect and taught her a lot. She really values your friendship you know.” she admitted.

“I still feel a little guilty for the way I treated her on Ord," he sighed, "but I've had so many bad experiences with hot shot rookies that I'd started judging them harshly from the start. Mallay made me realize how wrong I was to do that. She's a very talented, intelligent, young woman and I have never met anyone quite like her.”

"Mallay is her own person alright, fearless except when it comes to a hot guy or a snake,” Bella giggled, then went on, “but one thing about Mallay.....she can take care of herself.”

“Yeah, I've seen that first hand,” then he asked something he had been wondering for a while. “Bella, how did Mallay get scarred?”

“Have you asked her that?”

“Once,” he nodded, smiling at the memory, “A few days ago actually....she needed lotion on her back scars, and after turning very red, stuttering a bit, and referring to me as Sergeant in that bossy, business like tone, she asked me if I could help her. While I was putting it on, I asked her about her scars. She told me she was in a horrible accident and didn’t like to talk about it. She looked upset and we'd just started becoming friends, so I didn’t want to push.”

Bella sighed, “Well, she should be the one to tell you, not me. Neither of us likes to talk about it, however, I can tell you this much....our father died the day Mallay got her scars. She was only fifteen and it was no accident.”

Aric nodded, suspecting there had been more to the story, but surprised at how young she was. He had assumed it happened when she was in training. “What happened to those responsible?” he asked, somehow knowing the answer already.

A cold, deadly look came over Bella’s beautiful face, that same look that he had seen on Mallay whenever she spoke of dealing with the Havoc traitors, “They’re dead.”

They heard one of the assistants shout then and monitors were going off. Corso was thrashing on his cot, mumbling incoherently, and they were trying to keep him down. Bella got up and went over to him, tears in her eyes when she saw how awful he looked. He was very damp and pale, and his body was shaking with chills.

“Subject two is delirious, body temp is at one hundred four, fever should be breaking soon, but may need to be restrained for his own safety if he continues to thrash around,” one of the assistants noted on his datapad.

Bella snapped, “He has a name and it isn’t subject two! Its Corso, and if I hear you call him subject two again, I'm going to shoot you where you stand!" She nodded at her sister, "and that's my sister. Her name is Mallay, not subject one!"

Aric had gone over to Mallay’s cot, where she was starting to cry out, her small body straining as she fought the assistant who was trying to hold her down and reattach the monitors she'd knocked loose.

"Stupid girl," he muttered, "stop fighting me and hold still!" He barely had time to register the harsh growl before he was being hauled up by six feet of very angry Cathar. He shuddered as those laser green eyes glared at him.

"This extraordinary woman just ran into a throng of rakghouls, purposely getting bitten, so a vaccine, which will save thousands of lives, could be made." Aric growled in a voice that made the assistant shudder again, "She and Corso deserve your respect and if I hear you treat her otherwise one more time, I'll rip out your throat with my claws!"

"Easy there, Jorgan, he's about to wet himself." Bella snickered. "At least wait until Mallay and Corso are okay. After that, I don't care what you do to him."

"I might be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain I just heard you tell that other assistant you were going to shoot him where he stands." Aric retorted.

Bella looked sheepish, "ah, you got me there. I wasn't going to kill him though..... I swear."

"Bella," Corso murmured hoarsely. Bella sat next to him, moved his unbound dreds off his face, and ran a cold cloth over it. The assistant came over hesitantly, glancing at Bella’s blasters.

“I'm not going to shoot you, I'm sorry I said that.” She assured him. “I'm not always at my best when people I care about are in danger.”

The assistant scanned Corso, “His fever is breaking, I'm going to take one more blood sample, then we can sedate him. He's a remarkable person, Captain, your sister is as well. There are not many that would take the risk that they just did. I meant no disrespect earlier. Sometimes we get in analytical mode and forget how to talk to the people who care about our patients.” His partner, who had come over, nodded in agreement, nervously eyeing Jorgan.

Aric was cooling Mallay off with a cloth, trying really hard not to notice how well her damp tank top clung to her. He could see her vivid pink lace bra through the white fabric and felt his body heat up. Easy there, Jorgan, he thought, embarrassed at his body’s reaction. He was running the cool cloth over her face when she smiled.

“Aric, is that you?” she whispered, opening her deep blue eyes.

He nodded, smiling back at her, relief showing on his face. “Welcome back!”

Mallay closed her eyes and murmured a thanks. The assistant Aric had threatened a few minutes ago came over to scan her. Aric followed Bella’s example and apologized.

“I understand, Sergeant. I was out of line when I snapped at her. I think this place and these raks get to us all after a while. That's no excuse though and I'm sorry. It is obvious that you care about her and I should've thought about that instead of just treating her like a test subject.” He scanned her and smiled, “Her fever is broken as well. I'm going to take one last blood sample, then sedate her.”

Bella watched the exchange with interest. Oh, sister dearest, I think you've finally met your match, she thought with a smile, This is going to be fun to watch progress!

The assistants directed Bella and Aric to the tent next door where there were cots set up for them to sleep on. Corso and Mallay would be monitored and should sleep through the night. They would be checked over thoroughly in the morning, but the assistants were expecting no complications given that they were both recovering rapidly.

Edited by alaurin

Replies!

@ Kabeone: Yes, it is from the Heroic 2+ on Tython, The Chamber of Speech. You have the choice of preserving the record of Avamarivash the Warrior-Poet (dark side) or Maravada the Silent (light).

@ Marissalf: I liked the quote for exactly that reason.

@ Bright: *seeks more quotes by other people to repurpose* glad you enjoyed it.

Comments!

@ Magdalane: Aww, sweet. I haven’t met Iresso yet, but I really liked that both of them were honest, and willing to let things develop. Navigating an all new road.

@ Leonara: Do you get this conversation with Vik? Because you should. Nice. Sounds like Vik=Jayne, if you’ll pardon my gratuitous Firefly reference.

@ Alaurin: ...”fever, chills, an insatiable appetite for humanoid flesh?” That was one odd quest. Wish Corso getting infected counted in the game. :)

@ Marissalf: “Liquor is bad.” Kinka is so matter-of-fact with her hangover. I liked this pair of stories, they made me smile.

@ Lady-Jean: As always, I like how Maldecka is the learner and yet still the center of the story. You do a great job capturing Orgus.

@ Bright: I don’t know if it was intended, but it was interesting to see the harassment issue from both sides. Ruth, never expecting she’d be attracted to an underling. Quinn, on the other hand, expecting an order that never came. Half wishing it would, if only because that would simplify the relationship for him. Whatever else happened, it is good to see them happy together later.

Prompt - Grooming

Title - Can't Get It Right

Class - Trooper

No spoilers, takes place several weeks after my previous Jorgan-sickness fic

Prudii sighed, leaning against the 'fresher door. He clenched his cybernetic right fist. It still tickled. Ever since he'd lost the arm in an explosion, he'd switched from one prosthetic to another–the first had been makeshift, applied by his captors only so he could be used as slave labor. Then when he'd returned to the Republic, he'd gotten a temporary replacement installed, which had been eventually replaced by this one–a permanent replacement, perfect in practically every way...but blast it all, it itched.

Stang, he had to pee!

"Jorgan!" he snapped. "Hurry up in there!"

"Sorry, sir," Jorgan replied. "Working on it."

Ever since Jorgan had gotten over his 12th-year sickness, a natural occurrence in Cathar, he'd been acting strangely; taking more time in the 'fresher, keeping his helmet on whenever possible, and keeping his head turned whenever possible. If Prudii didn't know better he'd believe his friend was turning into a woman. Some insectoid species did...but Cathar were feline, not insectoid. He chuckled to himself amusedly.

"Done, sir," Jorgan said.

He emerged from the 'fresher...and Prudii stepped back in shock. A long white moustache drooped from Jorgan's upper lip. Or at least it would've, if it had grown out farther than his fur. It was exactly the same length as the fur on his cheeks, forehead, behind his ears...everywhere.

Prudii laughed. "Jorgan, are you trying to grow a moustache, or was it a sad side-effect of your 12th-year sickness?"

"Little bit of both, sir," Jorgan said, ashamedly. "See, I...well, the 12th-year sickness causes sporadic growth in facial hair in Cathar, so I figure it's easier to just let it grow. But I didn't know it'd be white. Stang it, sir, I look like a desk general, don't I?"

Prudii grinned. "No, no...you don't look near that young!"

He had to dodge a thrown razor. He ran down the hall, laughing. He didn't have to pee anymore.

So, as posted in General Discussion, Jorgan's sickness has been fixed, but he is still markedly different than his previous appearance. Customization #2, which I use, though he has no facial hair, has a fur color that makes him look like he's got a moustache. There's your inspiration.

Prompt: Something between Health and Betrayal

Feat Lokin

Note:

This is part of my idea of Lokin's past which will, eventually, tie up with what's happening with my agent

The outbreak had been devastating. Most of the area had been infected: the first casualties were the lab personnel and, since quarantine procedures had not been implemented within the first few minutes, infected specimens were able to spread from ground zero to the surrounding settlements.

The inhabited regions were small and were mainly made up of miners, farmers and their families. A few traders were present as well but there was no real defence force as no one was expecting to be attacked by an outside enemy. Of course, it may have been different if the people had known that close to their homes, was a secret research lab.

And he had been sent to clean up the mess: he was to destroy any imperial involvement in the lab and make sure that the Republic was blamed for such an act. Standard naming and shaming, as he defined this type of missions. The only difference was that the Empire was conducting secret experiments and the Republic had sabotaged the premises to show how "bad" the Imperials were, give them bad publicity and yet, the public would not realise that the Republic was just as bad, causing untold death for the sake of image.

This was all part of the cold war and Lokin had come to terms with it a long time ago. After all, as a Cypher, the less conscience you had, the longer you would survive and, in a way, it was a form of protection, one way to keep you sane.

His initial sweep of the lab had revealed only a few live infected which had been easily dealt with. It would have been harder to take them down after a few days as the transformation would have been complete and their new form would have been a lot more trouble. The specimens that had escaped would normally stop where they could find food and that meant that it was already too late for the settlers.

He made his way to the central lab, where the initial samples were stored: old and new strains of the same virus. A virus that had been originally used by the Sith and that had turned so many into the creatures known as rakghouls and he was to collect those samples together with the serum used to counter its effects. But she was there. The one that had almost fooled him.

Fixer 17. She had seemed to be the perfect agent: professional, precise, logical. He had...admired her for a time to a point where, to his surprise, he had grown fond of her. And that was a mistake he had sworn never to make again for any form of personal connection could and would be exploited in the world of spies and agents. He had learned that she had played the part of a double agent working for the Republic' SiS and what had happened in the labs was her doing.

He drew his blaster and stepped inside, quietly making his way to a shelf displaying some secured test tubes, some of them had been loaded into steel syringes.

"Cipher" she said without turning, while searching through a database "I knew they would send you. And if they hadn't, you would have made your way here anyway"

He stood, silently, his blaster raised.

"Do not not hold it against me. You know what they say..." she paused, this time turning to face him "...it's just business"

"And so you have to kill civilians just to make the Empire take the blame?"

She sighed "Since when you let your conscience out of the box? I thought you did not have one." she paused once more " I saw your records. Don't think for one moment that I'm going to believe that you are clean."

"I never said I was. It is just that I find it amusing that the Republic always wants to show their best side, pretending that you are the ones upholding freedom and justice while, at the same time, beneath that façade of hypocrisy, you are rotten to the core"

"Spare me such arguments! We do what we must and you are no better"

He slowly holstered his blaster and approached the former Fixer. He met her gaze with confidence "You are right" he said "We are both monsters. But you have made one mistake: believing that I would not complete my mission and kill you."

He quickly grabbed her arm and jabbed a syringe in it, emptying its contents into her body. She pulled back, pushing him against a wall. "What...?"

"Do not struggle" he answered "The onset of the virus is quick. But do not think of me as merciless for I will watch you transform but, once you are no longer human, I will make sure that your suffering is as short as possible"

She tried to lunge at him but her body would not respond as she fell to the floor. The last thing her human eyes saw before succumbing to the virus, was the image of the Cipher sitting down on a chair, readying his side arm once more.

@Yoshi, at least Jorgan is less scary this way? :p

@Selentar, I can see Lokin being this cold. A very realistic scenario for his pre-game career.

To all and sundry, if you have an idea for a prompt please feel free to PM me. We're pushing 90 existing prompts at this point, so I won't complain about fresh ideas.

Edit: @Striges,

The view from both sides was intentional. I think if Ruth had gone the way of overbearing authority she would have fit a lot more neatly into Quinn's experience of the universe...and he might have cared a lot less about her fate. Another commander putting selfish concerns first would have been unwelcome but not overly surprising. A commander trying to offer him freedom, meaning well even though she's too uninformed to see how trapped he really is...that's unexpected.

Edited by bright_ephemera

@ YoshiRalphElan: Well, maybe its a really bad twelve-year molt. I got a giggle out of this story.

@ Selentar: I agree with Bright. I can see an event like this in Lokin's past. I can also see him interpreting the summary execution as a mercy, even if his actions necessitated it.

Another "Worst Day Ever" story for my trooper. Little over a thousand words. Slight planatary spoiler for Illum.

The quiet moans and groans of the Republic casualties drifted down the corridor of the bunker. The medics and corpsmen had to begin putting the wounded in the corridor as the rooms and offices had filled. The blast doors on both sides of the bunker were open to allow the cold in. The cooler the body temp, the less likely a trooper was to bleed out before being tended. The blue lights of the sky above Ilum played eerie shadows on the floors and walls.

Major Halyard sat exhausted with his back to wall. His vision drifted down the line of wounded. He caught the eye of one of the corpsmen tending one of the troops. A wan smile and the mouthed words “I love you” made smile for a second. Then he looked back down at the floor, almost ashamed.

Elara Dorne was as exhausted as he was. She had to be as he thought about it. Every time Havoc had hit the line of Imperials and Sith, she had been there at his side and she never wavered. And Voslic had gotten up once intent on helping her tend the wounded but she had forced him to sit back down. When he had resisted she warned him that if he did not sit, she would sedate and have him sent aboard ship for the duration.

“Voslic,” she had said, “you have the weight of command on those very broad shoulders. Rest now.”

Voslic glanced at his Marines around him. Vic sat on the opposite wall a few yards down. The “thousand yard stare” had taken him. Too many times into the breach. Voslic would have to watch him closely in the future. He did not think Tanno would crack but you could never be too sure.

M1 was down the corridor arguing most droid-like with a technician and another droid about how his armament should be configured. Voslic chuckled as he heard the battle droid trying to convince the tech that he could handle the energy requirements for heavier weapons. He knew that if he asked, M1 would try and mount and fire a turbolaser from a dreadnaught.

Yuun sat next to Tanno, eyes closed in meditation. He seemed to be the most relaxed member of the unit at this moment but Voslic remembered the near recklessness the Gand had fought with during the numerous assaults Havoc and the other Republic troops had tried to drive home.

The battle had gone for what seemed like weeks now with neither side budging. They had gone back and forth like two male rancors over territory, with each giving their best shots but not able to land the killing blow. The Imperials were still holding part of the Jedi temple, but just barely.

Aric Jorgan slid tiredly into a sitting position next Voslic. He wordlessly passed a ration pack to his C.O. and began to open his own ratpac. Voslic stared at the food for a minute then put it on the floor between his legs.

“You gotta eat Skipper. No telling when they may call for another push.”

“How many times are we going to throw ourselves against these guys? Is that sith really worth all this?”

Aric gave Voslic a sidelong glance. “OK, that’s fine for the self-pity. Now what do really think?”

Voslic leaned his head back against the bulkhead. “We’ll push those bastards out or die trying.”

Aric nodded his once. “Just making sure you were still with us. Got the revised casualty list for our side and the estimated for the Imps.”

Voslic reached down and grabbed his ratpac and ripped it open. “What’s the “Butcher’s Bill” so far.”

Aric pulled out a datapad and thumbed a couple buttons. “So far, 348 wounded, 154 dead and ten missing. Imp casualties are estimated at about triple that.”

“We’ll have to go back and find those missing.” Voslic replied quietly. “We never leave anyone on the battlefield.”

“We will Skipper. The Supreme Commander is requesting additional troops but there is already a contingency. I think he wants to wrap this up.”

Voslic shook his head. He knew what was coming, but had to confirm it. “Let me guess; clerks, cooks and bakers, right?”

Aric gave his C.O. a near feral grin. “You sure you aint a force sensitive, mind reader type?”

“Don’t take a mind reader to figure it out. Look at the numbers. They were at regimental strength when we got here. Do the math and what you have left is 288 effectives. Hardly more than a reinforced company. Plus whatever the Jedi have left.”

“Fifteen jedi, seven of the missing are theirs.” Aric replied between mouthfuls of food.

“The jedi on our right flank?” Voslic watched Aric nod affirmative. “I was afraid they would get cut off.”

Voslic went back to his ratpac and was almost finished when his holocom went off. He answered and listened as the ranking officer on planet issued his orders. As Voslic feared, he would be calling on non-combatants to fill the ranks of his depleted unit. Voslic shook his head and put his comm up after the supreme commander finished.

Voslic took a deep breath and got to his feet tiredly. “Saddle up Marines!”

He watched as his tired troops struggled up and into gear. Everyone looked exhausted, even M1 seemed to move a little slower than usual. He watched as they started to the exit. Elara grabbed her gear and started forward. Voslic caught her by the elbow as she started passed him.

“Why don’t you sit this one out? They need you here more than we do I think.”

“You will need a corpsman up front. That is me and I am going.”

Voslic shook his head. “We’ll have corpsmen with us. Just please, stay here.”

“Major Halyard, RM-354: Special Operations Command and Control, chapter 4, paragraph 6, subsection 3.4.67 states that every special operations team shall enter into operational areas with the combat corpsman assigned to that unit if available. I am available therefor my place is with my unit.” She finished defiantly. Voslic knew that fierce determined look on her face. The expression softened after a few seconds. “Besides, as Mrs. Voslic Halyard, my place is at your side, for better or for worse if you recall. I could no more stay here with you out there than you could stay behind while your Marines went into a fight. If I stay here, will you?”

“Of course not, but Elara that’s different.”

“And how may I ask is it different?”

Of course he couldn’t answer that. No answer he could give now would be right, he knew. He shrugged his shoulders and let her go. “Then move out lieutenant.”

She smiled and lay a hand on his cheek then turned to follow the rest of Havoc. Voslic watched her for a moment then trotted out after his team.

This one came to me as I tried to get over the sheer frustration of one of the missions. Sith kept kicking my tail up around my shoulder blades. Finally pulled chocks and left the planet I was so irratated. I'll go back later and finish that off. The story just kind of spun itself out of my frustration.