The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Prompt: Health (from 6/29/2012)

Characters: Adwynyth and crew

Spoilers: Belsavis Sith Inquisitor (yes, you heard me)

"Vette!" bellowed Adwynyth.

"It's not my fault!"

"What did I tell you when we first came in here?"

"But I--"

"WHAT DID I TELL YOU?!"

"Don't touch anything."

"And what did you do?"

"Okay, in my defense--"

"WHAT DID YOU DO?!"

"I tried to pry the pretty gems out of the control panel."

"And what were those gems?"

"Buttons, I guess."

"You guess?! Why else do you think we all look like you?!"

Adwynyth looked at her newly blue skin, then felt back for her brand new lekku. Pierce didn't look too bad as a blue Twi'lek and really didn't seem too bothered either, but Quinn just couldn't pull off the look of disdainful pride with blue skin and bluish purple eyes, even in his typical parade rest. "I think we should kill her, my lord."

"You've been saying that since Balmorra."

"Well, yes...I just thought it bore repeating."

Jaesa was quietly crying at the loss of her glossy dark hair, and Broonmark...he was quietly wheezing and coughing, having been ripped out of his very different body and transplanted into this one. He was squinting, probably not used to only having two eyes, either.

She walked over to him. "Sorry, big guy. This must be the roughest on you."

"Damn *$%#ing right it is, lady. I can't even speak properly," he said in clear perfect Basic.

"Um...you just did."

"No, not this inelegant mish-mash of haphazard syllables. The perfect trill and precise grammar of Talz. I can't face any of my species like this, ever!" He blinked a few times. "And how the hell do you people navigate with only two eyes? I don't have any depth perception to speak of. And let's not get started on my beautiful fur." He stumbled off to cry in the corner with Jaesa, and very nearly tripped over her.

Adwynyth turned back to Vette, walked up to her, and smiled. Vette was frightened beyond rational thought. Her sister the Sith usually raged, killed a few things...maybe more than a few...when she got angry. She'd never seen a cold rage like this.

"Here's what's going to happen, Vette. You're going to put the pretty gems back on the control panel, right where they were, in the proper order. Then you're going to remember exactly what order you touched them in, and where we all were when that happened..."

"Oh, stow it. I was just having some fun." same a voice from behind her. Everyone whirled, weapons at the ready, as a cohesive unit. Even Broonmark and Jaesa were up and ready in the barest fraction of a second.

"Hey, not bad for ape-children." There stood a Rakata.

"Wait, I thought you were all dead. And why are you speaking Basic?"

"Girl, please. All of you in this room have the combined IQ of a three-day-old Rakata with a concussion. We all speak Basic. We just speak the Old Tongue to screw with you."

Jaesa spoke up at this. "Why this? Okay, I'm down some hair and I dunno what the hell to do with these lekku that doesn't hurt, but do you realize what you did to poor Broonmark? The guy's a nine-foot wall of fur with a tube for a mouth, for Force sake!"

"You guys are no fun." He snapped his fingers and the machines began to rumble. A second later, everybody was back to normal. "Why are you here, anyway? It's usually just those cackling lunatic lightning-chuckers that come in here, looking for ultimate power or body reconstruction or some stupidity like that."

Adwynyth looked embarrassed. "Well, my cousin's a sorceror..."

The Rakata actually facepalmed. "Color me surprised. And your lovely Twi'lek pal there likes to steal shiny things..."

"Yes I do," Vette spoke up proudly. She stepped forward and shook hands with the ancient creature, who actually gave a good-natured laugh.

"Alright, you're cute and harmless enough...keep those then. I've got spare buttons in the supply closet I can--" Vette was off like a shot. "Hey, where is she going?"

Adwynyth facepalmed this time. "You used the magic words..." The Rakata just looked confused. "More shinies."

Recognition dawned in the Rakata's eyes. "Oh no she won't, I'll...hey, where's my wallet? And my keys? My watch?! How did she do that?!"

The Sith started to walk away and gestured to the rest of the crew to join her. "You figure it out, Mister Ultra-intelligence, you tell me. I've been trying for a couple years now. I'll be back at our ship."

"You're just going to leave her here to plunder?"

Pierce, last out the door, was the one to answer. "Hey, we only let her steal what she can carry herself. Otherwise, she'd have the Sith statues from Dromund Kaas in her bedroom."

Yes, the Health prompt has to do with this being the "rebuild your body" machine chamber from the Inquisitor quest line. The Rakata (Fred, by the way) obviously used that to make them all Twi'leks. :D

Edited by Adwynyth

A bunch of good prompt ideas were sent my way...eeeeexcellent, that means I don't have to expend any intellectual effort for the next few weeks! :D

Week of 7/12/2013

Collections - This wide galaxy is a great place for hoarders...or definitely not hoarders, I don't know what you're talking about. Where would your character put all the random things you can accumulate, all the speeders, random pets, the copious crafting mats, countless outfits, armor sets, saber hilts.... or does your character only collect one thing in particular, a couple of things, or nothing at all? Prompt courtesy of Kitar.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5223753&postcount=1675.

This week's featured NotLP:

First Impressions - Our characters meet tons of people on their journeys. What are their first impressions of each other like? Are they accurate, or did someone put up a front? Write about it!

Prompt - Collections

Title - Robes

Class - Jedi Knight

No spoilers

Jasin groaned and pulled himself out of bed. Kira was not in the room; she must be awake and making the caf already. Jasin walked over to the closet and pulled the door open.

He looked at his collection of robes–black, brown, tan, white. What to wear? There were cloth robes, armor plates, full suits of armor with hoods and capes...he frowned.

Do I have a problem? he wondered.

Prompt - Collections

Title - Poppers

Class - Smuggler

No spoilers

Corso led Dankin into the mess hall. Dankin frowned. What had Corso wanted to show him? The farmboy walked over to the wall and typed a four-digit code into the intercom. The walls began to slide apart. Had they always been able to do that?

"Here it is, Captain," Corso said proudly. "My blaster collection."

There were probably a hundred of them. Pistols, rifles, bolt-action, projectile, two-barreled, sawed-off, long, short, silenced...Dankin had never seen so many weapons in one place. He practically fell over himself running to examine Corso's hoard. Corso grinned and pulled out a blaster pistol, long-barreled with a scope riding on one side. The weapon was made of wood–stang, that was rare!

Corso grinned. "This is Poppers, Captain," he said. "First blaster I worked on."

"Corso..." Dankin replied, "this is the coolest thing I've ever seen."

I was often unable to choose which outfit I wanted to wear on Jasin, switching mods from one suit to the next sometimes in less than a few days.

The blaster in question is the Primordial Blaster. I love the thing.

Prompt: Collections

Continuing the sisters, Miriah and Magdalane

Corso walked onto the bridge, another package in his hands. “Here’s another package, addressed to you, Captain. Are you sure you haven’t ordered anything? This is the third one in as many days.” He turned the sealed brown box over in his hands, noting that it was from a popular lingerie shop he’d seen on the Promenade of Nar Shaddaa. He blushed, remembering their window display.

“I know who it belongs to, but I’m sworn to secrecy, “ Miriah told him, taking the box and putting it with the rest in the cargo hold. Corso followed her, and was astonished to see a half dozen of the boxes in the compartment.

“So it’s not you, or Risha, or Akaavi,” he puzzled. “So who? You can’t say?”

“Nope,” she said, locking the hatch. “Why? You want me to wear some sexy lingerie for you, sugar?”

“Not sure my heart could take it, darlin’,” he chuckled, pulling her to him. He thought nothing more about the strange packages.

A week later, Miriah met with Magdalane on her ship, the boxes safely tucked in a plain gear bag. “Mags, you gotta figure out a better way to get your stuff sent,” she said, handing the bag over to her older sister.

“Yeah, you’re probably right, but I haven’t yet,” Mags said, taking the first box out of the bag, stripping the wrapping quickly, and sighing with pure pleasure at the sight of shimmersilk and lace. “Besides, you’re the one who got me started on this stuff, so it’s kinda your fault,” she joked, seeing Miriah smile.

“Corso was dying of curiosity,” Miriah told her, and they both laughed. “At any rate, you’re set for lacy underthings for a while, right? ‘Cause I’m on the way to Corellia, and won’t see you for a bit.” Magdalane nodded and hugged her sister, saying goodbye. Mags didn’t see Felix watching her, but felt he was nearby in the force, and it made her smile. She hummed as she made her way to her quarters, and giggled just a little when she realized Felix had headed to the crew showers.

These are RP characters, so...no connection with any class stories. Also, I gotta come up with something for an alternative interpretation to this prompt, because I am a real-life collector (of debt). It's awesome.

Prompt - Collections

Characters - Iria Sabori, Raima Jobel

He had a respectable collection - but I was his favorite.

There were millions of us in the galaxy. Girls dressed in yards of silk that somehow revealed more than they covered. Gold ornaments and jewels adorning their feet and hands. A simple chain instead of a bulky collar that would spoil the view. Slaves who would warm the beds of powerful men if they were lucky, and the slimy tails of Hutts if they weren't.

Orocco wasn't a major world. It wasn't even much of a jewel in the Empire's crown. King Firos Jobel handed it over unceremoniously in exchange for retaining the monarchy of his home planet, and for a few rich gifts that, for the Empire's vast treasury, were nothing more than trinkets. I was one of them.

"She's a highly-trained pleasure slave," the Moff who presented me to the king said. "Cathar girls are notoriously difficult to control, but this one is well-broken. She'll serve you well."

The king looked me over, up and down. He was silent, but I could tell exactly what he was thinking.

"This one is particularly special," said the Moff, circling me in slow, deliberate steps. He was describing me the way an art critic would a statue. "See how her fur is white and her eyes are blue? Rare coloring, that carries with it a certain condition."

The king reached out to touch my face, but I kept my eyes discreetly focused on the Moff, so I could tell what he was saying. He smiled a bit; a cruel and ominous smile.

"She's deaf."

King Firos' face broke into a wide smile at that, and I knew he thought he'd won an ultimate prize. I'd be more easy to control if I couldn't hear, even if he'd figured out that I could read lips. He stroked my neck and fingered the chain around it, and as he did, I noticed a dark-skinned girl in a blue silk gown standing next to his throne, staring at me. Her eyes were on fire, and she spat at him, "Another girl for your collection, Father?"

He didn't acknowledge her outburst, and with a swish of her skirts, she stomped away. It was my first glimpse of Princess Raima of Orocco, the girl who would ultimately save me, and whom I would save as well.

--

I lived in the palace for three years, and it was a rare night that the king didn't take me to his bed. Sometimes he'd crave variety and choose one of the other girls - girls who languished in his harem and both feared and desired his touch, as it was the only taste of affection they'd ever had. He'd take one for the night, but the next he'd be back with me, telling me over and over that nobody else compared. Never once did he mention freedom, or love. Instead, he crooned at me how proud he was to own me.

I rarely saw anyone else. The queen was dead, but nobody seemed to miss her much, except for Princess Raima. She looked at me with a mixture of pity and disgust, but always with that same fire in her light blue eyes. She was the only one, I knew, who had uncovered my secret. She was the only one who was observant enough to see beyond the seduction and glamour of a trained pleasure slave, and see that I was gifted with the Force. Besides, of course, her father, who knew how to keep me hidden and locked away so no one would take his possession away to become a Sith.

One night, in the dark of my little room, I saw a flash of blue light and then felt a hand over my mouth. I tried to scream, but I was being held too tightly. My captor turned me slowly to face them and held up a small light, and I found myself looking right into the flaming blue eyes of Raima.

"Stay quiet," she said. I nodded.

"We're leaving."

I nodded again.

Raima lowered the light, which barely lit the room we were in. She unholstered a blaster pistol; I wondered where she'd gotten it. Gone were her silk gowns and fine leather clothes; she was dressed now in bulky, dented armor, her long hair cascading over the metal. She held the gun in her hand as we exited the room and started down a long corridor. I hoped she knew where she was going.

I followed her closely, my hand on her hip in case I couldn't see her in the dark. I caught glimpses of her talking to somebody else, but I couldn't hear them and it was too dark to make out any words. Raima grabbed my hand and we followed the shadowy figure out of the palace, out of the royal gates, into the city.

I tugged on Raima's arm as we hit the streets of the capital. The sun was coming up; we were about to be discovered! Raima would be punished, but I'd be killed. She gave me a small nod as if to say it would be all right, and clasped my hand in hers. With a jolt, she started to run, and I followed her, watching the blaster jostling at her side. I wondered how she was running in that armor.

We boarded a starship right as the sun rose over the capital. A smuggler from the Imperial core worlds snuck us into the back of his ship, and we held our hands together so tight Raima's knuckles turned white.

"I'm taking you to Korriban," she told me. "You'll be a Sith, like you deserve. I'll keep training on my own, find a better blaster, decent armor. Gather up supporters. And then we'll go back."

I looked at our hands, fingers laced together, a slave and a princess no longer. Now we were sisters. "Go back? Why?"

She looked at me, her face deadly serious, hardened with resolve. "To kill my father."

The fire in Raima's eyes had never burned quite so bright.

I enjoyed everything this week so much. Reading this thread when sick is better than any medicine. ;):)

Thank you for those who replied on my last post. I'm glad it was amusing :)

Prompt: NotLP - Sacrifice

Class: Smuggler (Audra)

Words: 1000-ish

Spoilers: vague Chapter 3 spoilers for Voss.

Set after the incident in the Nightmare Lands.

'Welcome back to us, Captain.'

The farm boys voice rings loud in Audra's head. She winces at it and scrunches her eyes shut as if that will somehow stop the ringing that began when she heard the door open and close.

'Shhh, Corso. I've told you not to speak so loudly when I'm hung over,' Audra scolds with an attempt at a smile. Images are coming back to her and she wants Corso to tell her that a hangover is all she has.

'You aint hung over, Captain,' Corso replies. 'Don't you remember what happened?'

'So that wasn't just a bad dream then?' Audra sneaks a hand up to her shoulder and feels around the front and back.

''Fraid not, Audra. How's your shoulder feel?'

Audra rolls her left shoulder and it feels like it's a little heavier than she remembers. Her fingers only feel soft bandages. She takes a breath and looks down at her shoulder and rolls her arm some more. Her shoulder is wrapped in pure white bandages and she notices that she doesn't have the straps of clothing on them. Her naked body feels the grass green silk sheet begin to stick and mould to her body as she begins to sweat at the impossibility of the movements she is making.

'Heavy. My memories are a little blurry, Riggsie, but I think I remember the bone being cut. How am I...?' Audra's question trails off into a shaky intake of breath.

'Metal replacement,' Corso solemnly replies. 'Captain, I'm sorry.'

'It's fine, Corso. I've always thought my insides needed a little bling. It has krayt dragon pearls imbedded in it, right?' Corso can only see the smile and affability in her words and expression but her unnoticed right hand scrunches the green sheet in a fist.

'Sorry, Captain, but Voss was fresh out,' Corso replies with a small smile.

'Well, you know I've always wanted to visit our cannibal friends on Tatooine again,' Audra replies with a sly smile. Her lips are dry and they crack under the strain of falsehood. A small drop of blood lightens her bottom lip.

'What's say we stop by?' she asks lightly.

'I'm not sure Risha will like the sound of that.'

Audra laughs and Corso smiles gently down at her. Her tongue slips out to lick up the blood and quickly darts back into the damp sanctuary of her mouth. Her right hand continues to stress and scrunch the sheet; flattening it out only to bunch it all together again.

'So where am I?' Audra eventually asks. 'If this is a medical facility they have an interesting void in any medical apparatus,' she comments as she slowly removes a drip from her arm. It's the only medical equipment in the room.

Audra looks around the room and when she's finished a first look, she begins a second. She just can't look at Corso.

'Lokir's residence in a spare room. After the surgery and your condition stabilised they thought it best to move you here for comfort,' Corso stiffly replies.

'Considerate,' Audra evenly labels the gesture. 'A little small and circular for my taste though,' Audra replies with a sly smile and a glance around the circle room that couldn't have more than a five metre diameter.

'How long have I been out of it?' Audra asks. Second hardest question is off her list. One to go.

'Three and a bit weeks, Captain,' Corso replies.

'And what about you?' Audra asks as she observes the dimensions of a vase on a small table next to a mirror. Her heart pounds hard in fear she knows is unnecessary. He's clearly alive. He's here. He made it. He can speak, hear and see. Don't be such a wimp, Audra scolds herself.

'What about me, Captain?' Corso asks in honest confusion.

'Where were you? How long were you there? I believe the military term is 'what's your status?'' Audra wryly ends.

'Oh,' Corso answers dumbly. It had never occurred to him what he has been doing or that she might ask about it. 'I was in the hospital for a week and a bit but that was mainly observation. Only some exterior bruising and a concussion.'

'Good.' Audra sharply nods her head and it hides the weakness of her relief. She smiles to the vase and keeps her peace.

'Captain, about what you said... I-'

'I didn't tell you for pity, Corso,' Audra cuts in. Her voice softens and she smile a little but doesn't look to Corso. 'I just needed you to know,' she explains with a shrug.

'I know that, Captain, but about what happened out there, I've got to say-'

'Don't, Corso,' Audra cuts in. Her eyes look at him for the first time since she's opened them and they seem to say 'I wish I was looking at anyone but you right now'.

'But, Audra, you-' Corso tries again. She knows exactly what he means and what he wants to say. She can't hear it.

'Did exactly what you would have done for me. It's nothing special,' she replies with a shrug and a gentle smile that makes another crack. Her upper lip begins to bleed but she doesn't lick it away. She lets it trickle into her mouth. Her eyes look to the end of the bed at her tiny feet that are covered in the green silk sheet.

'It is special, Captain,' Corso earnestly disagrees as he begins to take a step closer to take her clenched fist in his warm and open hand.

'Corso-'

A quiet knock cuts Audra off. The sand brown door slides open to reveal Lokir. Corso doesn't reach her hand or her bed. He returns to the wall to lean there with crossed, unwelcoming arms.

'Captain,' Lokir greets with bow to her. He smoothly ignores Corso. 'How is your recovery progressing?' he asks as he walks to stand on the opposite side of her bed from Corso.

'She's fine,' Corso answers for her.

'I'm fine, Lokir,' Audra repeats as she sits up in the bed, careful to keep the sheet covering her chest. 'Good as new,' she clarifies as she twists her bare arm. 'I hope you didn't worry.'

'I did feel a certain anxiousness for the day of your recovery,' Lokir admits. He looks to the silver coloured carpet in almost embarrassment.

'Poet here has hardly left your side,' Corso informs her begrudgingly as he gestures a rude thumb at Lokir.

'I appreciate that, Lokir,' Audra bows her head a little to the tall Voss. He bows his head with unaware dignity in reply.

'I worried little. You promised you would not die until knowing what it was like to kiss a Voss.' Something almost like a smile spreads a little across his calm and stoic face. 'I see you keep your promises.'

'What kind of lady would be I be if I broke my word?' Audra slyly asks. She doesn't look at Corso but her taunting words were directed to only him all the same.

Audra gestures crudely to Corso with a thumb. 'Corso fill you in on what went down?'

'Yes, Captain Audra. However, there still needs to be a trial. I have made them delay it for your recovery as long as I can but they are urgent. I did not think they would hear you were awake so soon.'

'There's still going to be a trial?' Corso shouts in a display of angered humanity. 'We went through all of that so there wouldn't be a trial! Audra almost-'

'Cool it, Corso,' Audra cuts in smoothly. She glances at him with green ice before looking back to Lokir with softer eyes. 'It's fine.'

'I will clear you of this shame. It is all I can do. When you feel yourself ready, go to the hearing board. I will speak on your behalf.'

Lokir bows again and leaves. Audra wishes the closed door left her alone to consider what she's lost. She wants to stand before the simple mirror that stands on a far part of the room near the door and take off her bandages.

'Captain-' Corso begins.

'I need to get changed, Riggs. Would you mind waiting outside, please?'

'No, Captain. If you need anything...' Corso helplessly offers. He's learnt one thing about the Captain and that is that she never says please. He can't refuse and he can understand that she might need space even he wants the opposite. His 'thank you' can wait.

'I will call,' Audra assures. Corso slowly and hesitantly walks to the door. 'Thank you, Corso,' Audra calls. The words are shut in by the closing door.

Audra slowly swings her legs over the edge of her bed . The green sheet falls from her chest and she shivers a little. She gently eases her feet onto the ground and winces as the pressure strains her crippled leg a little. She stretches the leg until the stiffness eases a little. Taking a deep breath, she stands on her feet and takes three wobbly steps to the mirror.

Audra takes herself in at first only looking at the colour of her pale skin from too many years out of the sun. She moves her leg on angles to watch how her injury moves. It isn't so much a scar. The skin is smooth and healed but the muscles underneath are jumbled and create bumps and craters.

Eventually, her fingers move with gained courage to the bandages and begin to unwind them. She watches her hearts terrified beats shake her chest. Audra doesn't look at her shoulder once it's naked but instead rolls the bandages up and places it on a small wooden table against the wall.

Audra looks to the mirror and braces herself for the wince or scream that might come. She didn't prepare herself for the sight of an normal shoulder. Nothing looked different. She shifts so she can see the back and stare very hard at where the leg went through. After intense scrutiny, she can eventually make out a light pink line that is thick and jagged.

Audra takes a deep breath and looks for her clothes. She finds them folded, washed and mended in a draw. She puts them on in a hurry and ties her hair up. She takes a breath, straightens her back and as an afterthought, wipes her lips with the edge of her sleeve before walking out the door.

Prompt: First Impressions (Featured NotLP)

Title: Stomach Punch

Character: Alypia

Spoilers: Sith Warrior (Chapter I) (minor)

"...Expect news soon. Baras out."

As the holoprojected image flickered into nonexistence, Aly slumped against the hold's acceleration couch and closed her eyes. She blew out an exhausted sigh, as though by the mere act of breathing she could recover from the immense physical exertions of the last month - exertions made all the more tiring because she was always on the move, always defusing a crisis, rarely with the chance to just stop and rest and ignore the concerns her job and her life piled on her...

Just like all of her other opportunities for R and R, this one didn't last.

"My lady." The words came from somewhere above and behind her left shoulder. She knew what these words meant, and who was saying them. There might not seem to be many of them now, but they traveled in single file to hide their numbers. They'd invade her ears, plugging them up with their incessant droning, blasting away at her cherished illusions, and generally doing anything and everything they could do unsettle and disturb her feeble efforts at rest.

Aly swatted at the source halfheartedly, ineffectually, with her left hand. She could feel the voice's owner neatly avoid her attack, and sighed again.

"What, Quinn." It wasn't a question.

"My lady," the captain started again, "I thought it prudent not to interrupt Darth Baras-"

"No, instead you thought it prudent to interrupt what was about to be naptime. Which one of those, do you think, is more dangerous?"

He ignored her; long months spent on this ship meant that Quinn knew when she was just shooting her mouth off. "We received a recorded transmission during that last conversation. It is queued when you are ready."

She pried her gummy eyes open and massaged her temples. "The only other person who knows this frequency is Malgus. And I kriffing just got back from Cademimu."

"Apparently not, milady," Quinn said neutrally. Vette, who was lounging on the other side of the couch, wisely kept her mouth shut. For once.

"Yeah, well, none of my actual friends would be insane enough to call me in the middle of shipboard night." Aly straightened up in her seat reluctantly and rubbed her bleary eyes again. "All right."

"Milady?"

"All right. Go ahead. Do it. Commence. Initiate. Begin. Press the karking 'play' button."

Another image swam into view on the holoprojector; whether that was an artifact of her tiredness or an artifact of having a crappy holoprojector was unclear to her. Being tired, she decided, sucked. All of the drawbacks of being drunk without any of the benefits.

Of course, since she was so tired, this irrelevant mental meandering took up virtually all of her concentration. As a result, the Sith didn't really pay attention to the recording until the person in it started to talk.

"Sith," the recorded woman addressed Aly, then paused, as if gathering her thoughts. A coherent feeling slowly wormed its way to the forefront of Aly's muddled brain: indignation. You'd think that after all this time, those people in the Republic and the Jedi would've figured out my kriffing name. I mean, it's not like it's a secret or anything.

Nice voice, though.

Then the recording continued. "I'm Jaesa Willsaam. My Master, Nomen Karr, has no idea I'm sending this message."

The Sith apprentice shot bolt upright in her seat, the fuzziness around the edges of her brain cleared, and all feelings of sleep or exhaustion vanished. Her vivid red eyes fixed on the woman on the holoprojector, drinking in every facet of her appearance.

Aly had never seen Jaesa Willsaam before. She'd been an abstraction, an idea, an inaccessible paragon of virtue and strength. The way people had talked about her, she seemed like a spacer's tale to fool impressionable greenhorns, an myth like the angels of Iego or the Queen of Ranroon's fabulous treasure vaults. Jaesa was, by all accounts, the perfect, noble Jedi, the sort of person to whom being good came as naturally as breathing.

And now this poetic ideal was actually talking to her. Well, not directly to her. But still. She was real in a way that she hadn't been before.

Not to mention she was extremely pretty.

She could feel an alien tightness in her chest, a feeling she couldn't remember ever experiencing. Alypia was one of the finest warriors in the galaxy. She was utterly confident in her own abilities, a confidence buoyed by an unbroken string of success stretching back through the mists of time to the traumatic events of her childhood. Ever since she had learned to fight, she had never lost. She feared nothing. She did not get nervous.

And yet, somehow, here she was, almost terrified of the next words that might come out of this beautiful recorded woman's mouth.

"Let's be real," said the Padawan matter-of-factly, displaying a sense of determination and conviction in the face of her Master's opposition that made Aly shake her head in frank admiration. As if she needed another reason to be completely smitten. "We both know this isn't about us. Our masters pretend otherwise, but this is personal. You and I are only pawns in their private war. And those I care about are caught in the middle. It has to stop."

At the edge of her perception, Aly could hear Vette saying something, but it was inaudible next to the roaring that was building in her ears. She held her breath, the simultaneous feeling of anticipation and terror threatening to overwhelm her.

"I appreciate directness. And as...merciful as your actions have been, it's time you stopped this passive-aggressive stalker...thing. This message includes coordinates where I'll be waiting in my ship. Let's discuss this face-to-face. No more nonsense."

And there the recording ended, paused where the Padawan had cut the feed. Aly couldn't tear her gaze away. Finally, everything had gone right. She had her chance to ask for this angel's help, and she could do it right under Baras' nose.

For a few seconds, nobody moved. Then somebody fidgeted - maybe Quinn, Aly couldn't tell. She felt something in the Force, and it was like somebody set off fireworks inside her head, the feeling that this was all real, that she wasn't just sitting on the acceleration couch dreaming that Quinn had woken her up to talk to Jaesa.

She jumped to her feet and swept Vette and Quinn up in her arms, hugging them as tightly as she could, lifting them off the ground, all the while squealing incoherently. She was trying to communicate with her actions instead of her failing words, trying to make her crew understand that this was exactly what she wanted, that it would never have happened without either of them. Vette was one thing - practically her little sister anyway. But Aly felt something kindling in her heart even toward the fussy Imperial that she'd been ready to kill only two minutes before. Because none of that mattered anymore, because she was going to meet Jaesa, and because Jaesa was everything she thought she'd be and more, because she knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was in love with that woman and that Vette and Quinn had made it happen.

None of this she said, but she mounted a quixotic effort to make sure her friends felt it anyway, holding them closely and making eeeeeeee sounds until she was out of breath. Then she finally calmed down, hid the butterflies of her giddiness in her heart, and slowly, reluctantly, set her two very nonplussed friends down on the deck of her ship. And even then she had to press her hands together, because she felt as though she had to do something to force her feelings down and keep herself from exploding with that lunatic glee again.

Finally, Aly noticed Quinn fidgeting as though he was forcing himself to stay quiet against his will and found her proper voice again. "All right, Captain. What do you think of that?"

Quinn looked deeply uncomfortable. "Milady." He swallowed. "Do you want me to give you an...honest answer?"

"Uh, doy," she said playfully, but then her eyes narrowed. "Why do you ask?"

"I do not believe my opinion will be a popular one."

Those icy fingers started to close around her heart again, and Aly had to struggle to keep her face from falling. She thought many things about Quinn, many of them less than flattering, but she always respected his analysis. The man was practically robotic, incapable of normal human feelings. And in this case, that made his opinion objective. And probably right. "Just...just say it.," she choked out. "Please."

"It could be a trap, milady," he muttered, trying to lessen the blow by understatement. She could feel what he was thinking in the Force, sense his trepidation. He had felt the capricious wrath of many Sith in his long career. And although Aly had never turned the same sort of black rage against him that any other Sith might normally be capable of, he'd also never crushed her hopes like this.

If she were any other Sith, he'd have been better advised to have delivered his analysis from a few sectors away. But she was not, to put it lightly, any other Sith. And, in a strange way, she almost admired how his sense of duty overpowered his instinct for self-preservation. She couldn't find it in herself to get angry at him. She couldn't even find it in herself to get angry at Jaesa, or the Jedi Order.

No, Aly decided, the only person who deserves that anger is the stupid red-skinned bimbo that fooled herself into thinking that this might turn out all right.

She felt him cast around for another suggestion to try to calm her down, and find it. "Nomen Karr might've put her up to it."

It didn't help. The infinite pit of despair where her heart used to be swallowed it up.

Vette smiled encouragingly. "Hey, don't listen to Captain Paranoid here. I don't think it's a trap. I trust her."

"Thanks," Aly said hollowly, grateful for the lifeline but fully aware of just how flimsy it was.

She leaned against the holoprojector as her legs started to turn to jelly. The exhaustion she'd been staving off came crashing back in like a tsunami, smashing what little resistance she could muster up and leaving her alone amongst the wreckage of her dreams with her growing conviction that Quinn was absolutely right. Because, seriously, did she really think that something as ludicrously happy as Jaesa actually helping her would happen? This was the real galaxy, not some storybook paradise.

When Quinn had said I do not believe my opinion will be a popular one, it turned her to stone. And what he said next, those five little innocuous words - it could be a trap - brought up the sledgehammer and shattered her into a million pieces.

But because of who she was, she could take it. Because she didn't lose. Not now. Not ever.

Because of who she was, she only barely slowed down.

She stood up straight and took a deep breath. Quinn took it as the signal to continue, clearly relieved at having avoided a crushed trachea. "The coordinates are set, milady," he said, indicating the readout at the base of the holoprojector. "We can rendezvous with her ship whenever you give the word."

Aly nodded. "Let's go, then." She smiled, offering false confidence. "We don't want to be late for our big meeting."

As Quinn and Vette drifted out of the main hold, she sagged back down onto the acceleration couch, staring at the image of Jaesa's body, frozen in midair, spawning various semi-coherent lines of thought that crowded around for space in her brain. She needed Jaesa to be telling the truth. This meeting would happen for real because it had to happen. She could do this. It could work.

Even as she told herself these things, Aly knew they were lies. Try as she might, she couldn't delude herself into believing that Jaesa would actually show. All she could do was pretend to be taken in, act like it, try to savor the feeling of thinking that the most beautiful woman in the galaxy was going to actually show up and whisk away all her problems with her Jedi magic.

She knew there was no chance of this at all, that she was just leaving herself open for the stomach punch. Even with no chance at all, though, she still had to try.

That was who she was.

This story takes place near the end of Chapter II of Beyond Good and Evil, albeit from a different perspective. Aly briefly described her feelings here in Chapter X, but she omitted a lot of things, like how utterly crushed she felt about the trap.

This particular conversation covers the beginning of the Sith Warrior mission "The Plan is Working". Other than Aly's lines, most of the dialogue comes directly from the game.

In a way, of course, Quinn, Vette, and Aly are all correct. Quinn was right, of course: that meeting was indeed a trap. But Vette was right, too, because at the time, Jaesa wasn't lying. Karr just "convinced" her not to go after the fact. And Aly...well, it took a few more chapters, but she did get exactly what she wanted. The stomach punch of meeting Ulldin and Zylixx instead of Jaesa was no less brutal for being expected. But, again, because she's Aly, she absorbed it and kept going.

---

@bright: Knowing the SW class story is conventionally about going on the galaxy's biggest power trip and being okay with it are two different things entirely. I never got into the Quinn romance (tilting at windmills with imaginary relationships is much more my speed :rolleyes:), but I can definitely understand the people who did - and how unbearably frustrating it must be.

@alaurin: Pretty much everything to do with the rakghoul virus makes me squick. It's really hard to write a story about Taris without actually talking about raks, but I'm doing my best. :(

@Selentar: That'd be the rakghoul virus, too, right? Yeesh.

@sthrift: Ilum, right? What part did you get stuck on?

@Adwynyth: Oh, I needed that laugh. Especially since it seems like all I ever do is write about heavy stuff.

@Yoshi: I approve of any and all attempts to mock silly game stuff in-character. Also, on my main, I have an entire cargo bay set aside for various weapons and crystals that I switch back and forth from. The best part of any MMO is playing dress-up. :D

@Magdalane: Silly Felix. Why play Solitaire when somebody else is waiting to get in on the card games too? :p

@elliotcat: That's a mission I can get behind.

@Eversteam: I loved the anticlimax of seeing no prostheses or cybernetics. I went through a similar deal a few years back when I had surgery and thought there'd be some horrible scar pattern all over...but nope, just one little barely-visible incision. So that part of Audra's story felt very familiar to me. :)

"No, instead you thought it prudent to interrupt what was about to be naptime. Which one of those, do you think, is more dangerous?"

Bahahaahaha!

@Adwynyth: Oh, I needed that laugh. Especially since it seems like all I ever do is write about heavy stuff.

Thankee. :p I aim to please.

(Well, mostly I aim to make people squirt something out their nose when they read my stuff, but there's usually a point to it as well. :D Sometimes. Unless I'm just being silly.)

Wall 'o comments for now. Story later.

@Bright, I love the sweetness between Ruth and Quinn in that story. It’s always good to see them at a place where they can have that.

@alaurin, Poor Mallay and Corso, but it’s nice that Bella and Jorgan get to interact and share things that might help each other out with their respective partners.

@Selentar, The image of Lokin sitting back and calmly waiting for the fixer to change so he can end things is chilling...and just as I imagine he’d have been at that point in his career.

@sthrift, You really nailed the exhaustion of a hard-fought, nobody’s-winning-anytime-soon conflict. I could just imagine how tired and weary Voslic and crew would be. Well done!

@ Adwynyth, This made me giggle so much. And I loved this part:

"You used the magic words..." The Rakata just looked confused. "More shinies."

@Yoshi, I can relate to Jasin’s robe problem. I’ve got the bad habit of hoarding armor for my characters, even though I rarely deviate once I find something that suits them. And Corso’s blaster collection...that is too perfect. I’m sure every single one has a name, too.

@elliotcat, Welcome back! Loved the story, and the friendship between the girls is great. Hope to read more with them!

@Eversteam,

'It's fine, Corso. I've always thought my insides needed a little bling. It has krayt dragon pearls imbedded in it, right?' Corso can only see the smile and affability in her words and expression but her unnoticed right hand scrunches the green sheet in a fist.

Really liked this paragraph, with Audra trying to put up a good front to hide just how upset she is.

@Euphrosyne, Oh, I feel so bad for Aly, getting her hopes up and then getting them squashed, but the way she continues on anyway is admirable and very sith warrior-y.

@Magdalane

She hummed as she made her way to her quarters, and giggled just a little when she realized Felix had headed to the crew showers.

Has Felix discovered the “energy efficient” cold shower, too? :D

And I can imagine Corso’s bashful reaction to that lingerie display.

Edit: And replies! I nearly forgot...

@Lady-Jean,

@ marissalf: Oh Kalyio...such a fascinating character. Really liked the piece.

Thank ya! Kaliyo is one of those characters that you either end up really liking or really hating. Oddly enough, I didn’t start to appreciate her until I rolled a (dark-leaning) male agent. They’re just so horribly wrong together that her craziness finally seems fun. :D

@ Bright,

For some reason I like everything about this paragraph. The imagery, Kaliyo's down-to-earth (-to-Hutta?) observation. I like. Poor Kinka is...working through her problems, one could say, but it's not going in a great direction.

Thanks! And yes, when you’ve stooped to letting Kaliyo guide you back to “health,” you know you’ve just about hit rock bottom.

@ Striges,

@ Marissalf: “Liquor is bad.” Kinka is so matter-of-fact with her hangover. I liked this pair of stories, they made me smile.

Thanks! Glad you liked ‘em.

@Kabeone,

Also, Kaliyo being the kind of caretaker person who uses alcohol as an incentive is spot on.

It’s for this very reason that I’ve decided Kaliyo will never be allowed to babysit any potential offspring the agent and Vector may have. :)

Edited by marissalf
Replies!

NotLP: Affection

Two stories from Kinka's and Vector's POV. I tried to make them different enough that it wouldn't be a rehash of the same thing twice, but similar enough that it still feels like the same event...so I hope that worked.

Jumping back quite a ways in Kinka's timeline; takes place between Acts II & III of the class stories. Spoilers from IA Act II.

Title: Finding Humanity (Vector's POV)

About 1100 words

The agent was thoughtful again. Vector noticed that she’d been that way a lot since they left Quesh for the second time. Her aura had brightened from the disconcerting shadow it had been, but she still wasn’t the spirited woman he’d met nearly a year ago on Alderaan. These days she kept to herself much of the time, avoiding everyone else unless absolutely necessary.

Except him.

Vector often found her perched on one of the crates in the cargo hold, lost in thought. He sometimes wondered if she chose the spot because that’s where he often spent his time. Or maybe she just liked the chittering insects that had stowed away with him when he came on board. Vector smiled to himself. They did offer a measure of comfort, at least to him. But he found it curious that she might be drawn there as well.

She was there again when Vector returned to hear the Song of Unlighting. Dr. Lokin and Raina had long since gone to bed, and Kaliyo was nowhere to be found, leaving them the only two awake on the ship.

Her eyes sparked with something Vector couldn’t quite place when she saw him enter, and the feeling did something to his insides as well. The agent had a way of doing that to him, making him feel like he was the only person in the galaxy that mattered. But then, she had been trained in doing just that. Many a man had likely been swept away by her easygoing charm and fiery wit. He wouldn’t be the first or the last.

But with that knowledge in mind, he found that it didn’t matter. Maybe it would have once, in another life. But he had changed much since the last time he’d been close to a woman. Life with Anora seemed like a lifetime ago. Vector had nearly married the young Imperial woman he’d known since his youth, but his reassignment to Alderaan put his plans to ask for her hand on hold, permanently, as it turned out. He didn’t think of Anora much; she was part of a life that was alien to him now. He didn’t miss her company, didn’t wonder who she spent her days with. The apathy toward his former lover had caused Vector some measure of concern, and he questioned whether he had really lost so much of his humanity.

But then he thought of the agent. And he did miss her company, the way she giggled at the strangest things, and how she frowned to herself when she was debating something in her head. And he did fret over who might share her company, noting with relief and some embarrassment that he felt an odd twinge of jealously when she smiled at someone else.

The agent noticed him at last, rousing him from his thoughts. “Did you need to be alone, Vector? If you need to talk to the emissaries from the hive, I can go.”

“No, we can wait to hear the Song of Unlighting.” He padded across the room to sit beside her on the wide crate.

“We’ve missed our talks of late, agent. For a while, that was a regular occurrence. We hope we’ve not worn out our welcome already.”

A rare smile from the agent inspired his own. “Don’t be silly, Vector. I’ve just...it’s been a long time since my mind was mine. Sometimes I don’t trust myself to be around people. I keep expecting to hear a command telling me to hurt you all. I know I’m free now, but I still don’t feel the same yet.”

“We understand what it’s like not to know what to do with yourself. We have been thinking of this quite a bit of late, about what it means to be human, what it means to be Dawn Herald. Reconciling the two has been...trying.”

The agent patted him on the leg. “You do quite well with both, you know.”

“Perhaps.” He grew thoughtful, waiting for the faraway look to take her; thankful when it didn’t. “Agent, we have been wanting to ask you something, but we don’t want to upset you.”

She smiled back at him with encouragement. “Vector, you should know by now that you can ask me anything. What’s on your mind?”

“It’s about the time you spent with the SIS, the mind control. You asked us once what it was like to join the hive, and we now know why. But if it’s not too painful for you, we’d like to ask you the same. What did it feel like when you were being controlled?”

Vector regretted indulging his curiosity as her face darkened. But after a quiet moment, she was able to pull herself together. “It’s something like suddenly being pulled beneath crashing waves and trying in vain to find the surface. Every time one of them would utter that horrible codeword, I’d get pulled under again. Every time I tried to tell somebody that I was under their control, it was like filling my lungs with salt water. I’ve never felt so helpless or afraid.”

“You tried to tell us once.”

She nodded. “That night you held my hand. I was so upset and so worried you would think you’d done something wrong.”

“We’re sorry we were unable to help you, agent. We knew something was off, but we could not determine what exactly.”

“But you did help me, Vector,” she said, lightly touching his arm. “Our talks are what saved me. I couldn’t tell you what was happening, but your calm put me at ease, and I was able to focus on something else for a little while. If you weren’t there...”

He took her hand again, quieting the phantoms that threatened to take her from him. The agent’s dark eyes met his and held his gaze. The air between them was charged, like a brilliant flash of lightning just before the crackling roar of thunder.

“Agent, we hope you’ll forgive us if we’ve misread the situation. We’ve not done this in a while...”

Vector leaned in closer and reached up to caress her cheek, relief washing over him with the realization that she wasn’t going to pull away. Part of him had worried she would be repulsed by his strangeness, despite everything she’d said and done before. Still, Vector could appreciate that befriending a Joiner and romancing one weren’t one and the same. But with a newfound boldness, he dared to try for more, moving in slowly to let his lips meet hers.

As she wrapped her arms around his neck, he bent down to trace a path from her jaw to her earlobe with his lips. He could feel her pulse quicken at his touch, her electric aura dancing and shimmering like a swarm of fireflies — all the encouragement he needed to sweep the agent into his arms and carry her off to her quarters.

Title: A New Beginning (Kinka's POV)

About 720 words

“Agent, we have been wanting to ask you something, but we don’t want to upset you.”

Vector’s soft voice was the interruption Kinka had hoped for when she’d hidden away among the crates in the cargo hold. It had proven to be the one place on the ship where she could be alone with her thoughts. Her quarters were too near the bridge, and she could sense Raina’s enthusiasm radiating through the walls. And the rest of the ship was too busy, too exposed. But here, no one bothered to stay too long. Except Vector.

She brightened as he came to join her. “Vector, you should know by now that you can ask me anything. What’s on your mind?”

Kinka had an idea of what he wanted to ask before the words came out. She smiled politely as he asked, hoping he didn’t see it faltering. They had spoken at length about the topic before, danced around it really, while she’d been under SIS control. But now that her mind was clear, she could finally articulate her thoughts. Of course, that didn’t make it any easier.

The memory burned. Kinka’s throat felt like it was closing in, everything that happened still so fresh. She was coming to the realization that she’d always feel that way; a permanent scar on her soul.

As she recounted what she'd felt as a prisoner of the Castellan restraints, Vector listened with patience and concern, things she’d come to expect from him. Things that made it so easy to loosen up with him. Kinka found herself doing things she wouldn’t normally do where he was concerned, like casually patting his arm, letting her hand linger just a second long than it should. With other men, the move would have been calculated for maximum manipulation; with Vector, it happened as natural as breathing.

In return, he placed his hand on hers, and she felt her face redden as he stroked the thin skin with his thumb. This was new territory. They’d played at flirting for months, but that’s all it had been — stolen glances, shy smiles, internal longing. But at last it felt as though something could happen.

“Agent, we hope you’ll forgive us if we’ve misread the situation. We’ve not done this in a while...”

As he caressed her cheek, excited breath caught in Kinka’s throat, her stomach a ball of happy knots. She’d wanted this to happen for so long that it had started to become something she only daydreamed about, not a real possibility. Kinka hadn’t thought to make the first move, though she’d flirted with him so shamelessly (embarrassingly, too, she thought) she would cringe as soon as the words tumbled out. It was too difficult to tell whether they were on the same page. She’d never had a problem flirting with men before. It was part of the job, after all. But with Vector, it wasn’t like that. He wasn’t going to be a one-night affair, and not simply because she couldn’t just ditch him at the nearest spaceport. He was an entirely different creature, and embarking on a relationship with him would be a turning point. A new beginning.

But now there was no room left for doubt. Vector’s soft lips met Kinka’s and relief washed over them both. The kiss was tender, sweet even. It didn’t feel so much like giving in as allowing herself to be taken care of in a way she’d never experienced before. Kinka had kissed dozens of men over the course of her life, some for the job, some for herself, but she’d never been kissed this way.

Every movement was memorized — his hand on the small of her back, her fingers in his hair. Kinka pulled away from him long enough to unclasp the buttons of his long coat and push it off his shoulders before wrapping her arms around him again.

“What will be the next verse of our Song?” he murmured.

“I think you know,” she whispered breathlessly.

As his lips found their way to her neck, Kinka blushed, her heart galloping and her head scarcely believing it wasn’t all a dream. When Vector dipped to take her in his arms and strode through the quiet ship toward her quarters, she decided it didn’t matter. Real or not, it would be the best dream she ever had.

Hiho,

I have been greatly enjoying your fan fiction stories since I discovered this part of the forum only a short while ago.

Being no writer, and my English being far from fluent, I am certainly not up to any challenge. But I simply could not resist the prompt.

I hope you do not mind me barging in here. If I am violating any rules, it is not my intention. So please let me know, if I need to edit something.

Prompt - Collections

Title - Black and Yellow

Class - Bounty Hunter (Thorns)

Words - About 480

Spoilers - No spoilers

As he woke up, he could feel the warmth of her body against his. Her head rested on his left arm. He carefully shifted his weight and began to caress her back. She curled further up, wrapping her legs around the comforter, simultaneously snuggling closer to his body. He smiled. He still had not found out, how the comforter managed to end up on her side of the bed every night.

Wrapping his free arm around her, he pulled her closer, and started kissing the nape of her neck, inhaling her scent. As he started nuzzling her ear, she began to make this purring sound.

“Mako, wake up…”

“Hmmm…”

“Wake up. I need you to handle astrogation.”

“Where are we going?” she asked, still half asleep.

“Voss.” he said, while getting out of bed.

She opened her eyes. “Hey! What do you think you’re doing, waking me up like this and then leaving? Get back to bed.”

“I need you to handle astrogation. I’ll make amends later, promised!” he said with a begging gesture.

Yawning and stretching her arms, she moved into a sitting position. “Voss? Have I missed some incoming bounty holo? You should have told me.”

“Nope. I made up my mind about this speeder.”

“This speeder?” she asked, sounding slightly irritated.

“The one I told you about, remember? Lhosan Stinger? The yellow one with black stripes?”

“You can’t be serious!” There definitely was a slight pitch in her voice.

“What?”

“Thorns, we talked about this.”

“Now that Blizz has finished dying my armor black and yellow, I need a matching speeder. You said, you liked the new look.”

“Thorns, you own about how many? 20 speeders?”

“About.” 27, he wasn’t going to tell her.

“So what is wrong with the black one?”

“There is nothing wrong with the Nightscythe. I like the Nightscythe, but it is not black and yellow.”

“So have Blizz paint some yellow stripes on it, problem solved!”

“You want me to paint yellow stripes on my Nightscythe? You can’t be serious!” This was unbelievable.

“I want you to stop spending half of our credits on speeders and the other half on storage and maintenance.”

“Why do you always have to overdo this issue? Could you please stop acting as if we’re married?”

“We are married!” She threw her pillow at him.

Dodging the pillow, he took her hand and pulled her gently out of the bed. “We received the payment for Makeb yesterday, our expenses for the next six months are already covered, and there are a lot of promising bounties out there.”

She looked him in the eye. “Promise me, this is going to be the last one.”

A grin spread over his face. “You know, I don’t do promises, I won’t be able to keep.”

Rolling her eyes, she playfully pushed him away. “Get out of my way. I got to handle some astrogation!”

@frauzet, that was great! Personally, I never have more than one or two speeders on a character, but I can imagine car or motorcycle buffs would enjoy them just as much as in real life! Plus, matching speeder and armor? Yes; that sounds like my dad, who matches his underwear to his clothes! :p

Eesh.

Couple of replies:

@Striges I just feel glad I found a use for Skadge in my stories

@Bright/Kabe/marrisalf: And just think when I write the proper version for my main Ayrs fic! I forgot a couple of things that are sort of important for characterization :p But I'm glad you guys liked it, Putting his feelings of "I should have been/died there" behind him is one of the driving points for his story

Comments (*takes proverbial deep breath*)

Welcome to the thread, Frauzet! I really liked your piece, especially since Thorns reminds me of a friend of mine (sans the kill count and all that jazz) and look forward to more bounty hunting adventures (with or without Skadge ;))

@Lady-Jean probably copying someone who already posted, but I enjoy your take on the Knight story a lot more than the in-game version of "yeah you're going to be a knight in awhile OH WAIT NEVER MIND YOURE GOING TO BE A SUPERHERO RIGHT NOW!!!

@ Yoshi: I loved the more prosaic look at your trooper ship and agree completely about Jorgan's moustache!

@ Striges I like that quote and Jurial's attention to it

@ Magdalane: I'm always glad to see consular stuff, to be honest. I still feel like the F!JC/Iresso romance could have been so much better in game if they'd given it a chance to breathe rather than cramming it in

@ Leonara: lol I hated Vik so much when I first got him. I loved Elara ranting about him on Balmorra itself and then again on the ship (I assume the latter is based on who your XO is), and having everyone else on the squad approve of her tearing him a new one. I'm going to (try to) give him some more nuance in my own fic because game!Vik is...bleh

@alaurin: I enjoy reading about the sisters, although I think my preferred method of navigating on Taris is away from it.

@bright You've perpetuated enough Quinn fic. *ahem* I liked your sense of how Quinn would approach it. I have to admit, that my warrior's pushiness sometimes struck me as off (sort of like Shepard/Jacob in ME2).

@Selentar I realllly like your Lokin, he's a character I wish I could have had more time with in-game (especially since so many of the agent companions take so long to get

@sthrift I agree with the others; great look at how fatigued everyone would be (really, it's sort of silly how long these wars supposedly go on in the Star Wars universe). I also really like your Elara, I think you've got her motivations/"nature" down well (/Elarafangirl)

@Adwynyth: Now that I know what your intentions are I'll probably have to stop reading anything by you while at work so I don't get into trouble :p

@eliottcat: Always great to see a piece by you, as I noted in the other topic I loved your Zash one too.

@EverSteam I really like your Audra/Corso interactions (although you reminded me of how much Voss made my smuggler want to go DS sometimes

@Euphrosyne: yay more of your SW! I liked your take on this part of the story - my SW was basically "Great I can gut her!", and I never really felt like much time was spent on Jaesa pre-joining you....she's just a tool to get Karr and you give her a speech on Hutta and that's that. I did feel really horrible when Baras forwarded the message she had sent Karr about her parents though (my warrior killed them)

Also

And I kriffing just got back from Cademimu."

Hey, it's me from my sage's guild chat!

And a special comment for marissalf

And the story — something slightly little less doom & gloom for Kinka (just for you, Lesaberisa )

;)

Yay! Not completely miserable Kinka! :p I was actually pleasantly surprised by Kaliyo when I leveled my agent - I was expecting to HATE her based on what I'd heard, but she actually meshed well with my flippant/snarky agent, even if I still dislike her disregard for life/being nice. Kinka's letter made me laugh, although considering what a suck-up it is, I'm not sure the ship's droid would mind being thrown up on.

*Edit* and of course you post while I'm posting. Yay Vector! And I like alternating perspectives :)

Three shorts, all for Collections

Character: Amitia (JK)

Notes: No spoilers, inspired by Shepard/Mass Effect. The "incident at the day spa" is also referenced here, and is sort of Doc's noodle incident. One of many, at least.

I rolled out of bed and made my way to the kitchen, stopping to stretch and yawn more than a few times. I had figured out that if I got up just early enough, I could complete my entire morning routine without seeing Doc. I hoped today would be another of those small victories, especially after having spent several hours dealing with the fallout from the incident at the day spa.

Suddenly, the world was flipping end-over-end and I found myself faceplanted on the floor. I cursed whoever had decided to build the ship out of pure durasteel, and pushed myself off the floor, dusting the light robe I was wearing. I glanced down to see what had caused the debacle and was dismayed to see it was my model B28 extinction-class bomber.

"What are you doing here?"

The bomber didn't answer.

I picked it up, brushing off some of the dirt that had accumulated on it, then made my to the small social room where I kept all of my models. As the door to the room opened, I was horrified to see my entire starship collection was in a shambles. The Dominion Starfighter was lying on the table, the XS Freighter was on the floor on top of the Terminus Destroyer. And my Thantra Corvette...was firmly in Doc's arms as he slept on the couch.

I discovered that a primal scream was my favorite way to wake Doc up in the morning.

Character: Veresia (Inq)

Notes: No game spoilers, set during Alderaan while they're recuperating from dealing with nobles.

I sat on the bed, gently running my hand through the plush wampa's fur. She would have been fourteen this year, too old for these toys, but young enough to be still dreaming of the future.

Andronikos strolled in through the doorway. "You know, I've met some crazy people, but a stuffed-animal collecting Sith has got to be among the strangest." He offered a slight grin that I didn't return. Unsure how to take that, he hovered awkwardly, not sitting down next to me but also uneasily shifting on his feet. I decided to be generous and pat the bed next to me, letting him know he could sit.

"These aren't my animals, they're my sister's."

His eyes traced the outline of my face, curiously. "Uh, not sure how to say this gently. Isn't your sister, well..."

I gave him a half-smile even as I felt my throat dry. "Not her actual toys, Andronikos." I punched him gently in the shoulder. "The animals she would have had if...if things had been different." I went around the room, pointing at each animal in turn. "Wampaboo. Nerfboo. Gizkaboo. Wompratboo. Dewbackboo. Banthaboo." I got to the plush gundark. "Steve."

"Steve?" Andronikos sounded as incredulous as everyone had when Ally listed her animals' names. I could not help but smile.

"We never got an explanation for it. I suppose we never will." I paused, waiting for the tightness in my chest to go away, but it didn't. It never does. My eyes were watering as they met his. "Do you ever wish you could start your life over again, hope that - perhaps - things might turn out differently?"

He considered that for a moment before wrapping his arm around my shoulder and pulling me closer, so I could lean against him. "All the time, Sith."

and a happier

Character: Veresia

Additional Prompt: Affection

Notes: No ingame spoilers, Martell!Verse spoiler about Veresia's romantic life. You may also notice Andronikos has a habit of walking into her room to conveniently be around for conversations :p

My room smelled a good deal nicer with the Alderaanian tulips in it, almost good enough to make me forget that we were returning to Dromund Kaas, to the veritable heart of darkness in the galaxy. For now, though, that did not matter. I could feel his arms around me, his lips pressed against mine and the warmth of his embrace. Even the cheap cologne he always wore smelled that much nicer because it was his.

I hugged myself as a pang of loneliness passed through me. It was always hardest right after we parted, wondering when we might next see each other, but I needed to remain focused. A slip-up around the Sith would end matters as assuredly as anything else; the game we were playing was wonderful, but it was also deadly.

The Altirite vines needed some watering, so I turned my attention to them. They were bright yellow, clashing terribly with the general decor of the room, but brightening my spirits every time I looked at them. One had been slightly crushed by Banthaboo, so I moved the stuffed animal into a better spot.

I heard a knock on my door, but Andronikos was already inside before I could even respond. Not that I couldn't sense him, anyway. He glanced around the room, taking in the newest addition to my floral collection. "So, Sith, who's the lucky guy?"

My cheeks turned slightly red, even though the question was only natural. "It's just a small personal garden, to remind me of the beauty in the galaxy that exists even when things seem at their worst. Nothing more."

He barked out a laugh as he leaned against the wall and crossed his arms in front of him. "Sure, Sith. That's why I don't see any flowers from Korriban or Dromund Kaas or Tatooine here, even though you've got those ugly things from Nar Shaddaa and the vines from Altir. Plus, I ain't blind. You're different when you get them, happier, more alive. It's good to see you like that."

I could not help but smile. "Why, Andronikos, you aren't going soft on me are you?" I turned my attention back to the Balmorran roses that Quorian had gotten for me after our adventure with the colicoids and began humming the Imperial anthem to myself. I hoped he would take the hint.

After a couple of minutes, Andronikos realized I wasn't going to give him any other answer, so he left with a trademark, "Heh."

After he was gone, I lay down on the bed and forgot about everything. About Zash's Sith ritual, whatever it was, about the Sith in general, about Ithaca, about all the things that had led me to this time and place. As the scent of the tulips gently made its way into my nose, I reached out with the Force to him, to let him know that - no matter what lay ahead - he was in my thoughts...and that part of my heart I thought had died years ago.

I felt a gentle response from him before he disappeared into the shadows, getting into trouble again. It did not matter, we would find a way. We always did.

Spoilerish notes:

I actually really liked the Inquisitor/Andronikos romance - it's my favorite of the female character/male NPC ones, actually - but it doesn't really work for Veresia...age difference, she's got an understandable aversion to pirates (I'm having Veresia be unaware of all of Andronikos' exploits, which would only make it worse).

With all that in mind...I went with my crazy/off-the-wall romance/fling I was vaguely hoping for, Quorian, which is why he featured more prominently in Veresia's separate fic in his first (and only game-related) appearance.

Edited by Lesaberisa

@ Adwynyth, This made me giggle so much. And I loved this part:

Thankee! :p It was fun to write. Didn't come out quite the way I'd hoped, but good enough to post anyway.

...all the encouragement he needed to sweep the agent into his arms and carry her off to her quarters.

SQUEE :D

EDIT: Missed one

@Adwynyth: Now that I know what your intentions are I'll probably have to stop reading anything by you while at work :p

Nuuuuuuu! :p:D

Edited by Adwynyth

Prompt - Worst Day Ever

Title - Politicians

Class - Jedi Knight

No spoilers

Aaran stood, arms behind his back, in the center of the Organa throne room, and felt a headache nagging at his temples. He quickly used the Force to ease the pain. Normally he wouldn't have used it as a crutch, or for anything so menial, but he needed to focus today.

"...And the attacks on our civilians have actually gone up since this so-called Jedi moved to Alderaan," Count Thul said. "He is a menace!"

"Nonsense!" Duke Organa shot back. "This Jedi has saved countless lives! He has helped us!"

"This is undeniable," said Baron Girard. "But should he even be here? The war with the Empire is over; the Jedi should be back in their Temple, now rebuilt on Coruscant, guarding the Republic."

"We are a part of the Republic," Organa said wearily. "The Jedi have a responsibility to us as well as to Coruscant."

"But we don't want him here," House Rist's representative sneered.

"You have no say, assassin," said Baroness Panteer. "Your family is shunned by Alderaan's government."

The Rist representative snarled. "We are a legitimate house! So what if we have more combat training than the rest of you?"

"You are murderers," Panteer said. "You make your choices based on personal gain!"

"Yes, but in this case, our gain is yours as well. The Jedi is harming our planet."

"Lies," Organa barked.

Aaran groaned inwardly, wanting to leave. But he had to stay here and listen to the proceedings, in case the Houses decided to banish him from Alderaan. He didn't want to leave; he was needed here, and he knew it. But he would not stay against the rulers' wills.

"There were Imperials and Sith here last month, were there not?" asked Rist. "There hadn't been a representative of the Empire on Alderaan for years; then this Jedi shows up and they follow. Power draws power, and I fear soon he will draw more than we can handle."

Aaran clenched his fists. Unfortunately, Rist had a good point.

"This Jedi can handle them," Organa said. "He defeated the Sith and captured the Imperial."

"But what if it had been an entire squad of Imperials?" interjected Thul, "with more than one Sith?"

There was only stony silence in response to that, save for the sarcastic applause of Rist, Cortess, and Ulgo. Aaran had no means to respond. They were right.

"I am, nonetheless, the Viceroy of Alderaan," Organa said. "The Jedi may stay–"

Aaran felt an alarm in the Force and he unleashed a Force-blast, knocking every noble flat on their backs, but not injuring them. Then he leapt to the ground as a bomb exploded. His lightsaber was in-hand and lit in a flash. Two black-clad assassins rappelled down into the throne room, blasters raised. Aaran charged, slashing his lightsaber. He killed one of them, but by the time he advanced on the second, three more assassins had entered the throne room, killing the Organa and Thul guards. Aaran spun his lightsaber in a green blur, deflecting their blaster bolts back at the shooters. In a split second, it was over.

Slowly, everyone rose to their feet. There was sadness and fear in Organa's eyes, and Aaran knew that Rist and Thul had been proven right. Aaran sheathed his lightsaber and tucked it into his belt.

"In light of this event..." Panteer said quietly, "perhaps we should reconsider voting on the Jedi."

Aaran sat on the ground, head in his hands. He knew he'd lost.

So, yeah. Politicians. Can't live with 'em, can't run a planet without them.

@kabeone, for some reason "peak efficiency" and showers just sent me off this cliff of innuendo. I blame you :D

@alaurin I always get suspicious when the sibling of person A gets to talk alone with person A's love interest...one never knows what's going to get shaken loose. In this case, genuine concern. Not bad.

@sthrift, the frustration of a hard op came through loud and clear. Also d'aw, Elara.

@Adwynyth That Mother Machine is always trouble, isn't it?

@Yoshi The real soul-searching question for Jasin is, does he keep a bigger wardrobe than Kira does? As for Corso, "Poppers" is perfect. Then, Aaran and nobles...it must be agony being ruled by the likes of Alderaanian nobility.

@Magdalane So that's how she gets them! :D I can't imagine the Jedi Temple willingly accepts shipments from Vic Tora's Secret.

@elliotcat welcome back! :) Iria's tired recitation of her own status is wrenching. Also, is it bad that when I heard "unusual coloring" and "deaf" the first thing I thought was some inbred breeds of dog that end up prone to ailments, including deafness, if you cross two of the same coloring in your efforts to replicate that coloring? I could see slavers trying to do it. *shudder*

@Eversteam, sigh of relief for Audra's reconstruction.

@Euphrosyne, I love this peek into such a...well, passionate...Sith's head. Very cool piece.

@marissalf, eeeee, Vector! He is perforce stuck on the outside looking in during Act 2...so nice to see things coming together after.

@frauzet, welcome to the thread! I had a great time with your short...I found myself giggling over Mako's thoroughly unacceptable solution (paint stripes on the existing speeder? what!?) Your prose flows perfectly well.

@Lesaberisa Doc, you monster! Also, I like all Andronikos/Inq interactions and I liked these two.

Edited by bright_ephemera

A trio for Jedi padawan Colran Niral. It's leading up to a Collection but I haven't gotten there yet. No spoilers anywhere.

The story to date:

NotLP: Culture Shock, 300 words.

20 BTC

Colran held on to his small pack of clothes and Zauvien’s equally modest bag of possessions. The human followed his Togruta master onto the great shuttle from Nar Shaddaa to Alderaan; once they had seats she leaned over a little to confer with him under the sound of the crowd.

“Alderaan is safe for allies of the Republic,” said Zauvien. “It is a proud and ancient planet, not quick to enter into wars. Thus far it has stood clear of this one."

Colran could understand any of several reactions to the Great War, but he couldn’t explain that one. “Why?”

“As I said, they do not lightly enter into conflicts. Instead they dedicate their resources toward preserving the peace of their own home.”

“But that's foolish. They can't ignore it forever."

"They have survived thus far. In truth there is value to their neutrality: when the time comes for peace talks, people will look for a place not stained with blood to start."

"Neither side wants a halfway peace. They'd be better off lending their resources to us, ending the war for good.”

“The most direct path to the goal is not always the best one. The Republic would welcome them as allies, but they have the right to hold themselves apart if they believe it is necessary.”

"Sometimes you have to fight. I'm not saying it's our first choice, but sometimes it’s the only one that makes sense.”

Her gaze stayed steady. “I pray that they are never forced into that.”

She didn’t have to be that serene all the time; there were some topics that Colran really felt she should show concern about. But he accepted this for now. In time she would show him why she thought this way, or else he would find satisfaction in the answers she had already given. It could sometimes be hard to wait, but Zauvien did want him to understand, and for that he could be patient.

NotLP: Climate and Weather. 150 words.

20 BTC

When Colran walked out under the dim sky, something attacked his head. A moment of flurrying confusion, then the hard little impacts sorted themselves out in his mind: rain. He was under an open sky, and it was raining.

It had been a long time. Rain was Colran’s defining memory of his childhood home on Dromund Kaas: Dromund Kaas which, while it had not been happy, had been home in a way that Korriban and Nar Shaddaa never could. To borrow one of Gend's expressions, though they had never discussed this in particular, Colran had roots there.

"Colran?" His master's flutelike voice cut into his rising memories.

He tried to summon a more serious countenance. "Rain, Master Zauvien. It's been a while."

"Come along," she said, and this time her voice smiled a little. "There will be time to go outdoors once we've met with our hosts."

And, NotLP: Allies, 300 words.

20 BTC

---text transmission---

Gend,

I hope the Temple's night life hasn't been too wild for you to read a minute. Scheduling a holocall may be a bit beyond me right now - I'm keeping busy.

Alderaan is heartstoppingly beautiful. All mountains and forests and grand palaces – the kind of place that would cross the street if it saw Nar Shaddaa slouching down the sidewalk. All these huge open spaces, or even the huge closed ones, make me wish I had some of the home crowd to see it with me.

The Force feels subtly different on this planet. Master Zauvien says that if you're attuned enough it does, and will, on every planet we go to – universal Force, but local concentration of life. It's a little more muted here, but a lot more peaceful. Compared to the huge ball of conflicted people that is Nar Shaddaa I guess that makes sense.

I've been assisting Master Zauvien in attending to the sick here. I couldn't manage her Force rituals if I tried, but I can do the supporting things. And there are little requests here and there: for a mediator, a caretaker, a guard (more for ceremony's sake than for real danger). Just so someone reliable has their eye on things.

Everyone here has been incredibly welcoming and happy to tell me about the planet and themselves. I was worried I wouldn't know what to do with myself, but that hasn't been a problem – Jedi are welcome and they're accepting the padawan as welcome, too. We're helping people. That's what everything I've done has been leading up toward. And it's good.

I hope everyone at the Temple is well. You're all in my thoughts.

Your friend,

Colran

Note:

Alderaan does end up active in the war, of course, hence the battle in the trailers for the game. I’m arbitrarily saying that the Imperial invasion happens after Colran’s start there.

I finally integrated Zauvien into the Ruth!verse's portraits! (Warning, large-ish picture there, 1353x1080.)

Edited by bright_ephemera

@Frauzet - Welcome to the thread :)

Prompt: NotLP - Behind the scenes

feat the bad guy from Xania's and Lilith's stories

Note:

I must admit that the original concept of this story comes from a lore book found in the game Morrowind. It is called "A game at dinner" and it describes how a prince poisons some of his guests during a dinner. I decided to use it simply because I always considered it "deliciously evil" and I believe it fits the character of Zairos.

This part comes a few days before Communication Breakdown

The dinner was to take place in the meeting hall on Zairos' new ship and most of the guests, fourteen in total, knew that it would be just to present the new flagship. Throughout the years, he had managed to gather a following among the imperial and republic military: some of them were high ranking officers but all shared his vision of a galaxy where no Jedi or Sith was dictating laws.

The table was large and round and had been fully prepared with multiple sets of cutlery and glasses suggesting that it was to be a long and rich dinner. All of the guests were already savouring some Alderaanian wine while discussing on different topics. However, although it was a relaxed environment, many were nervous and it became more obvious when the host entered the room.

Zairos was wearing light brown robes which were so typical of the Jedi order, large sleeves, a thick brown leather belt and leather boots. He entered quietly, looking at each and every one of his guests. For a moment, there was silence.

“Please gentlemen, do take a seat.” he said gesturing towards the empty chairs. As they began to move, he waited for everyone to be seated before taking the last remaining chair. It had been interesting for him, watching them arrange themselves in a pattern that was dictated by their fondness, or lack thereof, of each other.

Once all were seated, he looked around, scanning each face, sensing the mistrust and the fear that they were all trying to hide. He snapped his fingers once and a protocol droid, that had been standing motionless this far, left the room.

“Have you been enjoying the refreshments?” Zairos asked his audience

“It has been excellent so far” replied an older officer, imperial both by accent and by uniform

“Good. I am sure you will not be disappointed as it is going to get much better” replied Zairos with a smile.

Almost as evidence to his words, at least a dozen droids entered the room, each carrying a large plate. On each plate there was wealth for the palate: all manners of food and exotic ingredients had been carefully prepared creating a choreography of different aromas. The platters were placed on a ring close to the centre of the table and, once all had been positioned, the droids started to carve the different types of meats and vegetables, filling the plates of the guests.

Throughout the dinner, conversation relaxed and, although all seemed to enjoy the evening, Zairos remained quiet, most of the time, speaking only when addressed directly. He had been waiting for the main course, and such dish had nothing to do with food at all.

“So,” he started “I believe you are all asking yourselves why I have you all gathered here”

“The general feeling is that you want to show us this new ship of yours” replied an officer of the Republic army

“You are quite right” continued Zairos “I will personally give a tour of the ship to those that I deem worthy”

His last sentence was met with puzzled looks. “Let me explain” he continued “During the evening, I noticed that some of you were uneasy. Your mistrust reached a point were you pretended to eat and drink. Probably out of fear of being poisoned”

There was a series of worried looks as the guests gazed at each other.

“Let me make this clear. I know that some of you have been less than straightforward and, although I would have wanted to have a private chat with the ones concerned, I settled for a subtler approach.” He paused, still watching them, still waiting. “If you were concerned about poison, let me reassure you: the food was clean. And those who decided not to partake in the feast have missed an excellent meal.”

He stood and began to slowly pace around the table. “No, my dear officers. The poison was not in the food...but on the cutlery...the plates...the glasses.”

The worry turned to shock as the dinner guests suddenly realised what had just happened. “This is preposterous!” exclaimed a larger man, standing up “I hope this is some sort of sick joke!”

“It is no joke, Admiral” Zairos continued “But do not worry. The poison was delivered only to those who are guilty. So, you see, only certain individuals among you will die. Unless, of course, they speak out” Having said that, he ordered a droid to bring in the antidote. During the couple of minutes that followed, all remained in silence, their fear now palpable.

“Here it is” said Zairos, receiving a bottle of red liquid from the droid “Alderaanian wine. A most perfect drink, containing the antidote to the poison.” He slowly opened the glass bottle and placed it on the table then, he sat back on his chair and waited. He let his eyes travel from face to face, taking in their expressions of shock and fear, their cold sweat, their doubts. He could almost hear them thinking: what if this was just a bluff? What if there was no poison at all?

He did not have to wait long as an officer of the Republic army stood and grabbed the bottle. Pouring himself a glass, he drank quickly. “You will not go much further Zairos, the Council will know how far you've fallen” he said “Don't think th...” he wanted to continue but, suddenly, could no longer breathe. The other officers watched in horror as the man fell to the floor, gasping for air. He died a few seconds later.

The admiral the spoke previously, turned to face the Jedi, a mix of anger and disbelief on his face “The poison was in the wine he just drank”

“Yes, quite spectacular, admiral. Don't you think?”

“You are insane. Utterly insane”

“Insane? Just because I want to get rid of spies? Come on, admiral, don't give me that look. Each one of you has done far worse in the name of the Empire or the Republic.”

Zairos stood, a wicked smile on his lips. He gestured towards the door “Shall we continue with the tour of the ship?”

The remaining officers got up from their seats and quietly left the room.

Comments: Starting from the collections prompt.....I have been reading everything, just overwhelmed by how far behind I am on comments. I am a bad person, I know.

@Yoshi: hehe, love Corso's collection!

@Magdalane: I am glad that Bella and Mallay are not the only ones who have a lot of love for pretty underthings. I love how Mags gets hers.....good thing she has a sister like Miriah!! I can imagine what the store front of that shop would be like.....poor Corso!

@elliotcat: welcome back and I love your new characters and can't wait to read more!

@eversteam: Oh, poor Audra. She is very strong, but you can feel her anxiety at what she is going to find under those bandages.

@Euphrosyne: I love Aly's first impression of Jaesa. You describe it very well and makes me anticipate their first actual meeting. I am still catching up on your thread, so if it is already there, I will get to it eventually. :o

@marissalf: your affection pieces....awwww, *sniff* gave me warm fuzzies!!

@frauzet: welcome!!!! Hey, you can never have too many speeders!!

@Lesaberisa: LOL, I can imagine Doc's reaction.....not a fan of his so I hope he gets punished well! Also, *sniff* Verisa's collection.

@Bright: I am liking the Colran pieces and I really liked the climate piece. Something so simple like rain can trigger so many memories and I can't imaging that Dromand Kass has pleasant ones. I still need to catch up on this new character of yours and hope to get on that as soon as I am back home.

@Selentar: Oh, deliciously evil indeed!!! I like this insight to Zairos.

Replies:

@Stirges:

@ Alaurin: ...”fever, chills, an insatiable appetite for humanoid flesh?” That was one odd quest. Wish Corso getting infected counted in game
I wish it counted too....would be so much easier!

@Euphrosyne:

@alaurin: Pretty much everything to do with the rakghoul virus makes me squick. It's really hard to write a story out Taris without actually talking about raks, but I'm doing my best
Yeah, the rakghouls give me the willies too!! One of the many reasons that Taris isn't my favorite place!

@marissalf:

@alaurin, Poor Mallay and Corso, but it’s nice that Bella and Jorgan get to interact and share things that might help each other out with their respective partners
yeah, I wanted them to interact at some point seeing as how family plays such a big part in the sisters' lives, I was unsure of how to approach it though.

@Lesaberisa:

@alaurin: I enjoy reading about the sisters, although I think my preferred method of navigating on Taris is away from it.
Thanks!! LOL, I don't like Taris either, but it has to be done!

@Bright:

@alaurin I always get suspicious when the sibling of person A gets to talk alone with person A's love interest...one never knows what's going to get shaken loose. In this case, genuine concern. Not bad.
Thanks! I was very hesitant about that conversation because I knew that Jorgan would be too curious to not ask and Bella isn't trusting, but sees Jorgan as a friend to her sister.....lets just say that conversation took a lot of editing and I was still not sure if I got it just the way I wanted it!!!

Now here is a short piece for the Collections prompt. I hope it copies ok....I hate not having a mouse for the laptop!!

Title: The Great Purge

Prompt: Collections

Characters: Belladonya-smuggler, Risha

Setting: XS Freighter

Spoilers: none

“I'm afraid its time, Captain,” Risha announced gently.

Bella shook her head, tears in her dark green eyes, “I don’t think I can do it!”

“Trust me, I completely understand, but even I don’t have this many!” Risha told her, “Now, you don’t have to get rid of all of them, just pick out your favorites and get rid of the rest.”

“But they’re all my favorites!” Bella cried.

Risha shook her head, barely suppressing a giggle, “Come on, do I need to call Mallay? I will, you know!”

“Oh, no, don’t do that!!! She'll just start grabbing random ones and throwing them away,” Bella pouted, "She doesn’t understand and won’t be nice about it!”

"Mallay's stylish. I doubt she'd be mean about it."

"Yeah but she isn't as....uh...."

"Excessive," Risha interrupted with a smirk, earning a glare from Bella. Risha simply gestured at the bottom of the overflowing wardrobe.

"Okay, you have me there," Bella grudgingly admitted, "Fine, let's do this."

"Well, first thing, we need to get them all out and see what we are dealing with,” Risha grinned as she dove in and started tossing shoes onto the bed.

A short time later, the bed was covered with shoes. Risha was staring at the collection in awe and even Bella was shocked she'd accumulated so many shoes, some of which she'd forgotten about. Corso brought in a crate for the discards, pausing to shake his head at the pile before retreating out of the room, knowing better than to comment.

Risha grabbed a pair and held them up, "Stay or go?"

"Stay!"

"You can't say that for all of them, Bella," Risha rolled her eyes, "I don't ever recall seeing you wear these!"

A resigned Bella sighed, "I guess you're right. They can go."

Risha tossed them into the crate and held up another pair, "Stars Bella, the tags are still on these!"

Bella looked sheepish, "Yeah, impulse buy....not sure what I was thinking when I bought that pair," Bella shrugged. "Toss them in the crate."

An hour later, the small crate was full, Bella was down to a mere ten pairs of shoes, and she was finally able to easily close the wardrobe. Risha hollered for Corso to get the crate and a tearful Bella watched him carry it out of the room.

"I'll miss you," she whispered as she waved weakly at the crate.

"Come on," Risha hugged her, "Let's go get some ice cream."

"Okay," Bella sniffed, "Thanks Risha."

"Hey, that's what friends are for...to help through the tough times." Risha assured her as they headed out for ice cream. "And purging your shoe collection is never an easy thing to do!"

Note:

Yeah, I got a thing for shoes!!:rolleyes:

Edited by alaurin

Holy crap, I missed this comment. Bad Adwynyth!

@Adwynyth and here I thought Vette did that on purpose so she and Broonmark could be together at last :D.

What makes you think they're not together? :D:p:D:p

*listens for the delicate sound of a head asploding*