The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Replies!

Irish, Ahh! I did not realize who they were referring to until Ald said the name. My jaw dropped.:eek:

Sthirft, Welcome! That’s a difficult situation for both Voslic and Elara. He’s just lost someone, and she’s in shock over his not-so distant past. Both understandable reactions.

Zeth, Welcome! I liked this story a lot, and I can see several classes making good use of such an extreme makeover to avoid or outwit enemies.

Lesaberisa, I always get a kick out of Scourge and Amitia’s Game of Sith habit. And the chocolate eggs!!!

Striges, What a lovely pair of stories. I enjoyed them thoroughly.

Alaurin, Oh Mallay can hope no one heard all she wants...I’ve got a feeling there were at least a few ears listening. :)

Bright, agreed with the others on the index. Holy cow, the very thought of Excel makes my head hurt, so I can’t imagine all the work that took.

Anniversary for Kinka. Takes place a year after the Sisterhood series. Brief mention of Act II agent thing.

Kinka traced the bare skin of her legs with her fingers, from ankle to knee and back again. On the surface, one didn’t feel any different from the other. But underneath, oh, that’s where the paths diverged. Inside the left, blood and bone. Inside the right, metal and wires thrumming with electrical impulses.

The agent did this whenever she couldn’t sleep, which comprised more nights than she cared to admit. Dr. Lokin had offered de-stims to help her wind down on several occasions, but she refused, saying she didn’t want to grow dependent on injections to get to sleep. In truth, there were too many ghosts haunting her dreams, and being awake offered respite.

It had been a year since the explosion that exposed her sister as a Republic sympathizer. Of all the ways the SIS could have chosen to hurt her, taking her sister had been the worst. Punch in the gut was too delicate a phrase to describe the shock of discovering the person you were closest to growing up betrayed you. Over idealogical differences at that.

The explosion on Hoth left Kinka in kolto for nearly a month, and when the crew extricated her and they returned to the safety of the ship, much had changed. The loss of her leg was the biggest shock, made worse by the fact that they decided to keep it from her until she was deemed stable enough to handle the news. She had always known something was wrong — spent two weeks thinking she was going crazy — all the while searching for proof that she’d woken up different.

The light touch on her back made Kinka flinch.

“Can’t sleep again?” Vector was used to seeing her perched at the end of the bed in the middle of the night by now, but it didn’t get any easier to see her so distressed. In the beginning she’d been angry — at him, the rest of the crew, the whole galaxy, it seemed —but as the months slipped away she grew despondent. The vibrant staccato that once punctuated her verse of the Song turned listless and mournful. He slid closer to her as she nodded, plotting a sensuous path up her spine with his lips.

“I’m fine,” she mumbled.

Vector stopped his course and frowned. “You know, we could always tell when that’s not true. Like when you were under the SIS control. We knew then, and we know now.”

Kinka bristled at the mention of the SIS. “I had too much tea before bed,” she lied, her voice flat. “Just go back to sleep.”

“Kinka, we want to help you. Why won’t you let us?”

She kept her face turned from him, silent tears sliding down her cheeks as she closed her eyes. “And how could you help me? How could anyone possibly help me?” She forced herself to stop talking as her voice began to shake.

Vector switched on the ambient lights and draped her soft silk robe over her bare shoulders.

“They’ll keep coming after me,” she said quietly, “after the people I love. Vekkz was the beginning. I don’t have that many people left that I care about, and I’m terrified of what they might do...” To you. She couldn’t say the words. Speaking them aloud might make it real. And that was the one thought too painful to bear.

“They’re dead, Kinka. They can’t hurt you now. We’re safe.”

That should be true, but Kinka knew better. A bitter laugh escaped her lips. “I’m not that naive anymore. The players might change, but as long as I’m alive, so is Cipher Nine and all that that life encompasses.”

Neither of them said anything for a while, but eventually Vector convinced her to try to sleep again. It was easier to give in than to continue talking about her fears, and his arms did provide a measure of comfort. She knew he wished it would be enough. It wasn’t his fault that it wasn’t. He held her closely and drifted off to sleep after a few quiet minutes while Kinka laid perfectly still and stared at the wall, counting the seconds until she could get up again.

I swear I will stop writing angsty things for poor Kinka eventually :D

And so as not to end on a completely sad note, here's a short First Impressions with Talos and Vector. Takes place a couple weeks after Sisterhood when Talos joins the crew.

On paper, Kaliyo Djannis was everything he detested: rude, callous, secretive, rebellious. But despite her many, many flaws, Talos Drellik couldn’t help thinking the Rattataki woman was fascinating, and before long he found himself making excuses for her bad behavior. She was crude, yes, but she also had a way with words and a venomous wit. She was callous and secretive, sure, but maybe she had to be that way. Stars only knew what her upbringing had been like.

He caught her grinning at him while he fetched the whistling kettle to make his morning tea, her eyes dazzling with delight at his presence. It couldn’t be possible that she had feelings for him, could it? He’d only been on board a short time. They barely knew each other. Such a prospect was frightening.

Vector’s soft footfalls roused him from his thoughts. “Good morning, Talos. We just wanted to make sure you were settling in alright. It must be a bit of an adjustment for you. We know it was for us when we first came on board.”

“Oh, yes, well it is a sight better than the tundra of Hoth,” he admitted. “Though I will regret that I was unable to further explore some of the caverns there. Still, wherever we’re heading should have ample opportunities for study.”

Vector nodded. “We’re certain that will be the case.” He cocked his head to the side and smiled at Talos. “Your aura is much calmer than some of the others. We’re glad to have you on board.”

Talk about auras and all that — now that was something to get used to. Still, Vector seemed like perfectly good company. And perhaps he might be able to shed some light on his would-be admirer. “Thank you. Everyone has been most kind.” He waited a beat, but he couldn’t keep the question from rolling off his tongue any longer. “Speaking of others, what do you think about Kaliyo?” Casual, yes, that was good.

Vector was thoughtful for a moment, then eyed Talos as he took a long sip from his cup. “We think now that you’re here, it is no longer our tea that she spits in.”

Talos promptly choked on the liquid as it went down. Seems Kaliyo’s eyes had been dazzling with something other than delight after all.

Thanks for welcome yall. Appreciate it much.

Magdalane, Semper Fi! Good luck to your boy and thanks for your service.

As far as my trooper goes, in that situation he would have had seconds to determine a course of action. It took me a couple heartbeats to decide myself. It's a game, but I was bothered by the decision i was forced to make. As in the story I wrote, he spaced Jaxo to save the rest.

On another note, I was interested to see that some of yalls characters are siblings. I guess I kind of wondered if I was the only one to actually do that. Voslic's family would be a very complicated mess to explain I think. Let's just say family dinners at the parents house would be...interesting.

Defense for Mellekor, about a year after the end of the class lines, when things finally start to come together. 850 words, spoilers for the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor endgame titles/ranks.

Ananz sensed the presence the moment he entered his office. The hard lessons of the past three years kicked in at once; he seized the Force at hand and flung a lightning manifestation at the tall figure in the corner.

A lightsaber flared up to catch and deflect the stream. Ananz pushed harder, just enough to suggest that he could overwhelm this stranger’s defenses; then, uneasily noting the solidity of those defenses, he let his efforts drop.

“Powerful,” said a deep voice. “None too focused.”

Ananz flicked on the lights to find a hulking Zabrak in ornate fighting gear. He knew him by sight if nothing else. And wasn’t amused. “Explain yourself, Wrath.”

“We never got the chance to talk after your ascension, Imperius. I prefer to know who at my level is carrying out the Emperor’s will. To that end I wish to talk.”

Ananz stared pointedly at Mellekor’s lightsaber until the Zabrak deactivated and stowed it. Then and only then the Twi’lek said “Some people make an appointment for this.”

“Your droid was less than forthcoming. Though to its credit it did shut up before I was obligated to silence it.”

“You’re really not doing yourself any favors here, Wrath.”

“I’m not here to seek your approval, Imperius. I’m here meet the Lord and Master of one of the Empire's central Spheres and determine why he is absent so much of the time.”

Ananz smirked. “It’s the Sphere of Ancient Knowledge, subtitled 'Sith secrets.’ Explaining it would defeat the point.”

“I am also curious how a man who seems to take nothing seriously has managed to rise to the Dark Council.”

“The Dark Council took me, personality and all. I suggest you do the same.” Well, he had already blurted enough to ruin the imposing-gravity style. Ananz shut the door, crossed his arms and got more or less comfortable against the doorframe. “Shouldn’t we be friends if we’re going to interact? We’re minorities on the Council, badly so.”

“I am not of the Council.”

“No. But you’re an alien like me, and they despise you for it. Doesn’t that make us some kind of candidates for an alliance?”

“An alliance presupposes that you could be of some use to me.”

Ananz shrugged. “They say you’re a lawful kind of guy. But flexible enough to recognize an innovator when you see one. I could get along with that.”

“You think yourself an innovator?”

“I can stand with the new guard. Malgus. You. The Empire is ripe for a change in several ways, including the way aliens are treated. Isn't that something we can both support?”

“Then lend your voice on the Council to his efforts. I will not oppose you.”

“Well, that’s something.”

“None of this explains whatever project draws you away from the Council chambers so frequently.”

“Having a life does that,” said Ananz. "I realize it’s considered gauche to admit it, but nevertheless, I do take personal time.”

“The time of a Sith at our level is never personal. Every moment you spend away from your work is a moment your enemies have to gain an advantage.”

“A threat?”

“A warning.” Mellekor’s red eyes watched more than challenged, but the menace in them never went away entirely.

Ananz, unsmiling, watched him in return. “I have to ask. Is all this about me or is it about Vette?”

The Zabrak’s broad shoulders tensed. “Who?”

Deeply unconvincing, that. “Your old slave. Vette.”

“She has nothing to do with this.”

“Doesn’t she? Your informants must have noticed my friendship with her by now.”

“Vette is nothing to me. Do what you will.”

“You really mean that?”

“Yes,” Mellekor said coldly.

“That’s...that’s great.” Oddly enough, it was a relief to heart it. Ananz arrested his smile as soon as he noticed it, which was already too late to hide. “That's perfect.”

“What is?” snapped Mellekor.

“You wanting nothing to do with her.”

“If you–”

“Listen, if you think she has anything to fear from me you’re dead wrong.”

Mellekor's composure shattered. “You idiot, she has everything to fear from you! You cannot keep her in a sheltered garden and visit at will! She would never tolerate it, and your enemies would make use of every moment you spend with your back turned to the greater game.”

Ananz shook his head. “I don’t have to clear my personal life with you. Vette is under my protection.”

“Learn it from me or learn it in blood: Under your influence there is no protection.” Mellekor shuddered and bowed his head. “No more than there is under mine. That is a condition of the rank.”

“Yet here you are, you and your influence, trying to protect her.” Ananz stared steadily at Mellekor, his orange eyes meeting the Zabrak's red. He would not be cowed by this man, no matter how large, no matter how powerful. “She’ll be fine. And I will keep on having a life, including watching out for those I care for. This meeting is over, Wrath. Don’t draw your saber on me again unless you mean to die.”

Notes:

Orange eyes for Dark I. I first assigned “Imperius” when I thought that was the neutral/grey title in game; I keep it because I like it.

Scattershot impressions as I caught up:

@Adwynyth Definitely keeping "Captain Rigor-Mortis." He's stiff enough.

@alaurin,

Jorgan smirked at her, “Does that mean I can wash your delicate cycle stuff?”
Mallays is never going to live that down, is she? :D

(also, aww, Captain Cormac love!)

oh wait, that’s right, you would rather have a wookie

...Mallayse has a lot of embarrassing, demons, doesn't she? I love it.

@irishfino,

Ald smiled. “Of course not. You’re my answer man.” He ignored Quinn’s eye twitch at that comment.

I twitched at that. Why, yes, I do stay bitter.

@Lesaberisa, your Legacy was utterly wonderful. As for Skadge, he really would appreciate the highlights of A Song of Ice and Fire.

@marissalf,

Neither of them said anything for a while, but eventually Vector convinced her to try to sleep again. It was easier to give in than to continue talking about her fears, and his arms did provide a measure of comfort. She knew he wished it would be enough. It wasn’t his fault that it wasn’t. He held her closely and drifted off to sleep after a few quiet minutes while Kinka laid perfectly still and stared at the wall, counting the seconds until she could get up again.
This paragraph is wrenching. Well done.

@sthrift, we've had a few sibling relationships in the thread...some friendlier than others.

Voslic eyed the droid for a minute. “Never give a Corellian the odds.”
In a moving and otherwise serious piece, this line was gold.

@Striges, I love all your worlds and rituals.

@Syncrosanct, Ankyra's doubts are striking - and I like how it's placed with the opposing forces of the waves.

@Yoshi, Oh, Methic...we don't see a lot of LS Warrior activity apart from Quinn. I Just want to hug him.

@Zethrodek, Xynri Muttergrumble's adventures never cease to amuse.

Welcome to the newcomers, and welcome back to those who have returned after a long absence!

Lesaberisa, loved the GoT pieces! Also, loving your other story, your trooper.

Striges, your descriptions of the ceremony were quite simply beautiful, very evocative imagery. Very fitting for the remembrances of this past week in history, in my mind.

Alaurin, girl talk is sacrosanct and should never be listened in on by one's superiors! Glad the sisters met up again, since i also write sisters. It's fun to see the dynamic between them.

Marissalf, I feel for Kinka. No sleep and a troubled mind are not a good combo.

Bright, your Vette inspires a great deal of passion in both Ananz and Mellekor. Mellekor knows all too well what measures enemies will take to get to a Sith.

Prompt: Confessions

Mir and Corso, timeline Interlude, Voss daily missions

no spoilers

“I’m tellin’ you, sugar, there’s nothin’ you could confess that would shock me,” Miriah said, her head lolling off the side of the sofa in the lounge. Corso had collapsed on the floor beside her, half propped up on the edge of the cushion. The bottles of booze they’d consumed, ostensibly so that they wouldn’t be confiscated by customs on Voss, were scattered around them, empty except for the sacred bottle of Hutt tequila Miriah held to her chest.

“Darlin’ you juss don’t know,” Corso slurred, grinning at his wife. “One time, on Taris, when you were wet and miserable, I stared at your backside so hard I thought sure you’ll feel it and get mad.”

“Oh, I knew you were staring. I’d have been mad if you weren’t,” she giggled, taking another long swig from the bottle before passing it to Corso.

“Okay then, that time you sent me to get Mags from Tython? I got some advice from her, about you.”

Miriah smiled at him, reaching for the bottle again. “I knew that too, sugar. Even yelled at her ‘bout it.” She shrugged. “Kinda glad you did, showed me that you really wanted to figure out a way to make us work.” She slid bonelessly off the sofa and into his arms, tangled with him on the floor, kissing him. She finally put her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes.

“Don’ go to sleep now, darlin’. I gotta fin somethin’ you don’ know ‘bout,” he whispered. She giggled, shaking her head slowly.

“I’m tellin’ you, there’s nothin’”

He sighed, thinking. “Oh, I got one. Remember all the pranks, on Prank Day?” She nodded, eyes still closed. “It was me, darlin’, love o’ my life. I took your socks.”

Her eyes flew open then, fire snapping in the silver. “You what?!?”

He dragged his gaze from her face, blushing hard. “I took your socks. I meant it as a prank, but someone found them after I hid them, and when I went to get them back, they were gone. I felt so bad, that’s why I ordered so many replacement pairs. I’m sorry.”

She glared at him, her icy gaze sobering him up quickly. She stood, weaved a bit, and did a good imitation of her usual mad stomp to their quarters, and he heard the lock click in place behind her.

“Damn,” he swore, pulling himself up to try and get comfortable on the sofa, hoping she’d either not remember or at least forgive him in the morning.

Edited by Magdalane

Prompt: Uninvited Guests where the main character is the one not being invited.

Feat Xania and her crew. No spoilers

Note

This is the first part and tells the story from Xania's PoV. It takes place a few days after Confessions. Lilith's PoV coming at some point :p

“So far so good”

Androinikos steered the ship towards the hangar bay but he was nervous: he noticed his fingers twitching and his mouth was annoyingly dry. This was different; he had never assaulted a capital ship of this size before and he knew that, once the bay doors would open, Xania, followed by her apprentices and the Dashade, would storm the place. He was to remain behind with Talos and he did not like that.

The ship landed. Outside, in the hangar, he could see maintenance droids scuttling about. Larger, security droids were patrolling, their mechanical heads switching sides, searching, scanning. He stood and joined the boarding party. Xania noticed his approach and shook her head

“I...” he started

“No, Andronikos. Not this time. We need someone to stay behind” she cut him off

“Alright” he said, sighing “But let me know if you need extra fire power”

She nodded and reached for the door controls

The ramp opened. The few droids close enough to the ship were not prepared for the sight of a mountain of muscles charging at them. It was quickly followed by a chorus of buzzing sounds as lightsabers were drawn: a Kaleesh warrior quickly rushed down the ramp while a Togruta lept towards a larger security sentinel.

Coming down the ramp, slowly, a human surveyed the scene for a few moments then she vanished only to reappear moments later, her double-bladed lightsaber slicing through metal casing.

Some droids were fighting back but the element of surprise was not on their side: blasters went off but missed as their intended targets moved too quickly in a flurry of coloured trails as their weapons moved through the air, producing sparks every time they connected with the metal armour of the few defenders present in the hangar bay.

And, just as suddenly as it had started, it was over.

Xania was joined by the others and they quickly moved down the corridor leading to the turbolift. Their target was the bridge and whoever was in control of this ship. She was hoping to face Zairos but she could not feel him through the Force and this meant either that he was not on the ship or that he was, somehow, hiding. Nonetheless, she knew that a direct assault would draw enough attention.

Their initial assault had been sudden enough to give them an edge but she knew that, by now, the security systems would respond in kind and she wanted to cover as much ground as possible.

“Look out!” Ashara shouted as a heavy blast door opened revealing two large sentry droids. They quickly opened fire while powering their defensive shields, advancing on the small group. What they lacked in mobility was certainly replaced by their fire power as their blaster cannons left scorch marks on the floor.

“Xalek! Khem!” Xania ordered while pointing at the targets. The Kaleesh nodded and a moment later, sprinted towards the left. The Dashade did not hear as he had already rushed the droid in front of him, his vibrosword connecting with the energy shield. Ashara turned to Xania, a surprised frown on her face but she only received a “Cover me” as reply. She raised her weapons, moving between the droids and her master but she was torn between obeying and rushing forward to help.

Xalek was circling around, trying to avoid being targeted by the droid's weapon systems while, at the same time, slashing the protective shield but his lightsaber kept on being deflected thus preventing him from doing any damage. Khem Val, instead, met his opponent head on which seemed to be playing in his favour as the droid's cannons could not focus fire. In response, the construct swept one of its arms in a wide arc, knocking the Dashade off his feet, sending him crashing against the side wall.

All the while, Xania remained still. She had a different plan: blocking out the sounds of battle, the buzzing of lighsabers, the booming of the blasters, she focused her mind on one of the droids and removed everything else. It was just her and her target in a vast emptiness, a dimension without time where the laws that govern the material world do not matter. She felt the Force flow around her as the metal construct started to float in mid-air, weightless, held up by unseen strings. It stood there for a few moments before she reached out again and, with a gesture of her hand, she sent it crashing into the other droid.

The force of the impact was enough to disrupt the two defenders, disabling their shields. Ashara turned around and was met her master's gaze. “Finish them” Xania simply worded and the young apprentice turned once more to face the incoming destruction. It did not take long for them to turn their assailants into a pile of scrap but it had been long enough for the defenders to block their advance: more guards were appearing in the corridor. But this time, they were only human.

A crackling sound echoed through the hallway as Xalek unleashed a torrent of energy onto the incoming threat, taking down two guards. Their comrades' riposte was quick and ferocious as multiple blasters fired simultaneously, creating a deadly barrage. Khem Val just charged, oblivious to the blaster shots pummelling his own shield as some shot pierced his defences but he carried on, smashing aside some of the guards, like a battering ram.

Ashara twirled her blades, spinning around like a dervish, deflecting the shots but she had not been fast or careful enough as she felt the stinging pain which meant only one thing. She ducked behind the droids' remains and, for a moment, she caught her breath. It was only when she looked down that she saw a hole in her armour, on the left side.

“Damn it!” she cursed. She was disappointed at being hit so easily and, somehow, there was something that pushed to stand up once more. Was she angry? 'No, I will control my emotions' she thought just as she released a wave of force that sent her opponents flying. Surprisingly, such action felt good but she had not time to ponder on such things as a heavy trooper, only a few metres away, lined up his assault cannon, ready to fire. Just as she prepared to defend herself, the air behind him seemed to shimmer revealing a red-haired Sith, a dark look in her eyes. He did not notice her until he felt a lightsaber piercing his chest. By then, it was already too late as his dead body hit the floor heavily.

By now the defenders were scattered and their morale was faltering: those that decided to continue fighting were confronted by the assaults of a red-skinned brute. Those that tried to flee, were cut down as Xania did not wish to leave any survivors.

As the sounds of battle died, Xania surveyed the scene. She looked at the Dashade seeing that he had taken a considerable beating.

“Annoying. But ultimately pointless” he said answering a question that was not asked.

Xania nodded and turned her attention to Ashara

“I will be fine” she said

“Very well. Let's keep going”

“Master, it would seem that the defences are inappropriate” noted Xalek as they rushed towards the turbolift

“Yes, but would you expect anything else than a trap, Xalek?”

The Kaleesh simply nodded.

“So, we are just running into a trap? Is that it?” asked Ashara, not without a tinge of annoyance in her voice.

As they entered the lift, Xania waited for the doors to close before turning to her young apprentice

“You should always expect a trap whenever you are dealing with a Sith”

“But Zairos is not a Sith”

“Of course...he's a Jedi. How could I forget?” she replied with a sneer “A Jedi that has long since abandoned the tenets of the Jedi order.”

This had been far too simple and Xania was uneasy at the thought of just taking the bait and rushing headlong into the unknown, but she also felt confident, as she always had this far, and she would not let a disgruntled Jedi step in her way.

The lift stopped and, finally, the doors opened once more. Silence. No guards or droids, only the corridor leading to the main bridge. She looked at the others once more:

“Let's go. It would be impolite to let our host wait for too long”

Edited by Selentar

As usual, reading and enjoying everything here. :)

Thanks for those who commented on my last post :)

Prompt: NotLP - What's in a Name?, Loneliness and Solitude and Failure.

Class: Smuggler (Audra)

Words: 1,800

No Spoilers.

Set four weeks from my last Smuggler post. Part 2 of 4.

'You haven't finished healing, Captain.'

Corso's voice doesn't surprise her but it wasn't expected: she'd done this so many times undetected with so many other men. She was careful not to disturb him and keep her weight as spread as possible while getting up, easing into a stand with a wince. Maybe it's because unlike them, he cares if she moves away.

'I'm fine, Corso,' Audra soothes and glances over her bare shoulder to him with a smile.

Corso rubs his right eye and stares up at her with such righteous reproach she feels it could even turn a Sith to the light. He props himself up in the bed and watches her as she pulls on a singlet that hides the still yellow ribcage from view but not from the farm boys mind. She looks away again to make sure he can't see her wince as she pulls the singlet on and down.

'It's been four weeks,' Audra continues as she turns around to face him.

She holds her hands out from her sides to show she is fine but putting a patch over a wound doesn't mean it's no longer there just because you can't see it. Corso is painfully aware of how much they are still there.

'And though I like to win at cards, Corso, you're just too easy,' Audra teases with a wink. Corso didn't grow up around card tables like her. Gambling didn't teach him how to plus and minus or calculate the odds and alcohol had never been like water to him.

'Yeah,' Corso agrees as he sits up, the sheet falling from his shoulders to reveal his bare, scarred torso. 'But while you were taking my credits you were also still lyin' in bed.'

'Corso, I could beat you at cards even if I was blind and hangin' from the ceiling.'

Corso shakes his head and doesn't smile back. Changing the course of the conversation won't work. He won't let her get away that easy. Not until he's said his piece.

'That's beside the point, Captain. Your leg is still delicate. You still need the crutches, Audra,' Corso persists as she flops down onto her bed's edge and looks around for the socks she hasn't needed in weeks.

'You're still on low doses of pain killers and your ribs tore from the cartilage as well as being fractured. That takes eight weeks even with the kolto,' Corso informs her.

Corso told her how long it would take at the beginning but they never spoke in all those weeks of what would happen when she heals. She hasn't healed and he doesn't know why he was foolish enough to think she'd wait for it to.

'And when did you become a medical expert, Doctor Riggs?' she teases with that smile that makes you feel extraordinary, needed and like you're the only guy she'll ever smile at.

Corso has spent a lot of time watching her give that smile to other men - turning Commander's to foot soldiers, Jedi Knight's into adolescent Padawan's and making dealers give her discounts which removes their profit - and he wonders if she was born with it or whether she's honed it into a fine art over the years through practice.

'If you're going to get into fights or shoot a blaster, Captain, you need to know the damage you're doing and what damage might be done to you. You need to stay on the ship,' Corso orders.

She can't smile anymore and she can't find any socks. She glares at the draw across her quarters where Corso might have returned them to. Her eyes direct her reply to that draw.

'No, Corso, you need me to stay on the ship.' Audra stands steadily and walks to the cupboard, finding and pulling out her socks as she continues in a lighter voice. 'I need to drink something other than water and pain killers and where out of it on this ship.'

'I do need you to stay on the ship, Audra,' Corso shamelessly affirms. He watches Audra walk back to her bed and watches her back as she pulls on her socks over her dainty, white feet.

'I need you to,' Corso continues, 'because I can't stand the thought of something happening to you while you're out there without me or your hurting yourself.'

'I'm a big girl,' she assures with a grin he can't see and a slap of her palms on her thighs, 'you know, I'll be fine.'

She turns around a little to give him that smile again but it doesn't make him melt. It isn't real and sometimes he feels that not much of what she shows is. She's spent too much of her life being only a dream for men to chase.

'No, you won't, Audra.'

'I've lasted this long and I've told you, Corso,' she soothes as she pulls on one boot and hops across the room on her good leg to reach the other black boot left near her dresser, 'that I don't need you protecting me -umph- or looking out for me,' she defends as she tugs on the other boot. 'I can do that myself.'

'I know you can when you want to, Captain, but I can see it in your eyes again: you don't want to.'

Audra picks up her belt and slips it around her waist. She straps on the knives and blaster bolts that litter her dresser. Her hand hovers over Flashy but moves on to the blaster she carried when he first met her. She accepted his blaster even though she knew when he didn't that hers was better. It's battered and the insignia of the Empire has been deliberately scratched away but it packs a greater punch than most other blasters on the market even after all these years.

'You don't know anything about me, kid.'

'You're right, Captain,' Corso agrees as she straps on the blaster. He watches her expression in the mirror and she feels more real to him in that instant than any other.

'I don't even know where you were born or what your last name is, Audra. All I know about you is that you're the most incredible, strongest woman I've ever met and I don't want to lose you.'

Audra shakes her head and continues checking everything in her belt is in order. She doesn't look in the mirror.

'You should have stopped at 'Captain', Riggs, because I'm not yours to lose.'

'Nah, Captain, I shouldn't of,' Corso firmly defends as he inelegantly gets out of bed, tying the sheet around him in an uneven and cumbersome mess. He walks over to her through strewn clothes left there from nights and mornings she probably can't remember.

'I may not know your history, Audra, or everything you've gone through but I do know you: I know you're generous but never want to be called it; I know you like to stick it to the man and stand up for those that can't stand up for themselves; I know you're understanding and don't judge others; I know you can talk your way out of almost any situation and aint afraid to use your body to do it; I know you like your reputation more than you like yourself; I know you're head strong and can't be dissuaded from getting what you want; I know you hate losing and you aint afraid to cheat to win; I know you care more about others than you do yourself.'

She turns around when he's almost behind her and leans against the dresser.

'Then you should know that I'm going out there tonight no matter what you say, farm boy.'

'Yeah, I know you probably are and you can call me a foolish farm boy for still trying because if giving up on you means being anything else than I don't want to be it. I'm not goin' to stop until you walk down the ramp, Captain. I can't just let you go without trying to stop you,' Corso desperately ends as he takes her hand.

She slips her hand out of his and walks to near the door way where her favourite jacket was dropped.

'Then you can feel alright about going back to your room now because you have tried.' She pulls on a jacket and smiles at Corso. She walks back over to Corso and gently brushes her lips on his cheek and then his lips and despite everything, it leaves him wanting more.

'Good night, Corso. You should get some more sleep. I hadn't meant to wake you.' I hadn't meant to make you love me. I hadn't meant to love you either.

Corso only shakes his head and stares at her with that honest reproach that she knows can melt easily into forgiveness and approval. She won't be seeing it change tonight.

'You haven't slept properly in a while and don't think I didn't notice just because you kept shooting me up with pain killers,' Audra jokes with a light punch on his bare torso.

Corso catches her hand and presses it to his lips and then his warm firm chest. She can feel his steady, strong heartbeat and wonders if all honest men's hearts beat so boldly and evenly.

'I don't want it to be repeated when you get back tonight, Captain. Just don't go out there tonight, Audra. Or any night.'

She slips her cold hand free and shakes her head. Her pony tail sadly waves him goodbye from behind her neck.

'Corso, that's more than a little controlling.'

'I don't mean I never want you to leave or do what you want,' Corso amends as he steps closer to her again. He doesn't try to touch her this time. Even he can only feel her slip away so many times in one night.

'I wouldn't ever think of takin' away your freedom. Just mean I don't want you out there alone and pickin' fights, Captain. I need you, Audra, and I aint afraid to say so even if you don't feel the same to me.'

She knows it's pointless to say anything to him. She can only feel a sad warmth spread through her chest and a laughable bit of glee shout 'he needs you'. She turns her back on him and that room and takes the first of four steps to the door.

'I don't want you to go, Captain, knowing you might not come back.'

She takes the last step and stands on the other side. She pauses for a moment and maybe if she hadn't, Corso's words would be lost with the loud thuds of her boots down the metal corridor.

'Aren't I worth coming back to?'

She doesn't reply. Audra only takes the short cut through the ship to the exit. She goes down the ramp. It will take her a twenty metre walk through the hanger and short elevator ride to realise if he is worth it and the answer will have her running back.

Weekends are typically busy for me so no comments this time, but I will catch up on my reading ASAP!

This popped into my head in the middle of the night, so I wanted to get it out.

Title: The Dancing Queen meets the Racing Champion

Prompt: Defenses (with a little Confession that snuck in)

Characters: Belladonya-smuggler and Mallayse-trooper

Setting: Nar Shaddaa

Spoilers: smuggler and trooper Nar Shaddaa

Corso Riggs and Aric Jorgan looked on in surprise at the fierce battle in front of them. They hadn’t expected it to be like this at all.

“I think I am getting tired just watching them,” Corso admitted.

“I hear you there,” Aric agreed, “I never realized things would get that heated. Who would have thought Elara would be able to keep up with something like this?”

Corso nodded, then pointed, “Uh-oh, I think Risha is starting to slow down a little.”

“Yeah, I think you’re right, and Bella just missed a couple of steps. How many songs has it been now?”

“I think they just started on the fourth so one more after this,” Corso told him, then shook his head in wonder, “I don’t think Mallay has missed a step yet and she is still going strong.”

“She is definitely good. It doesn’t surprise me though, she has good endurance and is quite athletic. However, I would have never guessed that Elara would be that good.” Aric admitted.

They had met up on the Promenade in Nar Shaddaa. They all had a couple of hours to kill while Havoc Squad waited for their SIS debriefing at the Republic Embassy and Bella and crew waited for the prototype engine to be installed on her ship and Bowdar to arrive. Risha had decided to leave the installation to the ground crew and venture out for once. They had been wandering around when Bella spotted an arcade. At the back of the arcade was ‘Can You Really Dance?’, a dancing simulation game. Bella immediately challenged Mallay to defend her title of Dancing Queen.

“You’re on sister dear. Prepare to be humiliated….again!” Mallay smirked.

“No way you are besting me again,” Bella turned to the others, “Anyone else want in on taking the Dancing Queen down?”

“Absolutely! I can take her!” Elara chimed in, much to everyone’s surprise. She grinned, “A few of us would regularly visit the local arcade when off duty. It has been a while, but I always won at this!”

“Anyone else want to try to take me down,” Mallay goaded, “I am going to make you work for it though. We go for five songs so if you can’t keep up, you had better sit out!”

“Hey, I am not a bad dancer and it looks like fun. I am in!” Risha piped up.

Corso and Aric both declined, figuring it would be interesting to watch. The girls put their names in started the game.

A small crowd had gathered, watching the girls and cheering their favorites on. Corso was watching his beautiful captain trying to keep up. His feelings for her were becoming more intense every day. He wasn’t sure what to do about it though. She didn’t seem very open to relationships, but she did flirt with him. He decided to confide in Aric. They had become friends over these past couple of months and maybe talking about it would help.

“I think I am falling in love with Bella.” Corso blurted out.

Aric studied the younger man for a moment, “You looked troubled by that. Why? She seems to be a kind, fun young woman and her family seems very open and friendly.”

Corso sighed, “Yeah, but I think Bella was hurt by a man at some point. I tried to talk to her about a relationship once, and she didn’t seem comfortable with the idea at all. She got nervous and changed the subject. She flirts with me so I think she at least finds me attractive but….”

“But you don’t think she wants anything permanent.” Aric finished.

Corso nodded, “and I don’t want to just be some fling she had. I am not the kind of guy who has brief flings and moves on without a care.” He sighed sadly, “I just wish I knew what to do. I am not sure how much longer I can keep quiet about how I feel.”

“Hang in there man, you are a good guy and Bella is smart enough to see that. If she has been hurt by a relationship in the past, it just might take her some time.” Then Aric figured he might as well fess up too. “I am starting to have feelings for Mallay.”

Corso looked at the Cathar and noticed that he looked as troubled by his feelings as Corso was about his own feelings for Bella. “Why are you concerned about that?”

“Well for one thing, she is my CO. Also, I am not sure if she feels the same way about me. I can make her blush easily, which I find very attractive, but I don’t know if that is because she likes me or just her usual shyness,” he admitted, then growled, “Although, she didn’t blush when that jerk Balkar flirted with her.”

“I know I overheard Bella talking to Risha about Mallay and why she is so shy. Apparently, Mallay thinks she is unattractive because of her small size, scars, and cybernetic. That makes her shy around men, especially men she likes. I know when I first met her, she didn’t seem too shy at all.”

“She hated me when we first met….I might have been a bit rough on her though.” Aric admitted. “We get along pretty well now. I have always thought she was attractive. I just didn’t even realize I had feelings for her other than as a squad mate and friend until Balkar started hitting on her and I wanted to smash his face in.”

“You said that she didn’t blush or act shy when he hit on her right,” Corso asked and Aric nodded. “Was she interested in him?”

“No,” Aric started, looking embarrassed, “I kinda snapped at Balkar the last time he was flirting with her and she wasn’t too happy with me. She hauled me aside and asked what my problem was. She said I was acting like I was jealous. I made up some lame excuse and said I just didn’t want to see her fall for his lines. She told me that she wasn’t stupid, that she knew he wasn’t serious, and that he wasn’t even her type.”

“Well, if what Bella said was true, and she only acts shy and blushes around men she is attracted to, then she at least finds you attractive.”

“Well, she blushes when she gets embarrassed too.”

Corso nodded, recalling times he had seen that. “Well, try flirting with her a little and see what happens.”

Aric smiled, “I just might try that.”

Then the guys turned their attention back to the competition. The girls were on the last song. Mallay was still going strong and Elara was still keeping up with her, but had missed a couple of steps. Risha looked tired and her hair was coming down a little, but was giggling with Bella, who was also slowing down. The song finished, the scores went up, and the crowd cheered for Mallay, the reigning Dancing Queen. The girls hugged each other and walked over to where the guys were standing.

“I have successfully defended my title as Dancing Queen!” Mallay beamed with a radiant smile, her eyes dancing. Aric looked at her, face flushed from the activity and her victory, wisps of her auburn hair clinging to her face and neck having fallen out of her coil, and his heart skipped a beat. Oh, you have it bad Jorgan.

Corso was having similar thoughts with Bella, but he felt a little better after talking with Aric. The girls got sodas to help them cool off and the group was making their way around the arcade when Bella pointed at ‘Need For Speed!’, a pod racing simulator.

“Hey, that looks fun!” she cried, getting into a racer, “Let’s try it!”

“Oh, I am the Racing Champion! I’m in.” Corso told them taking the racer next to Bella.

“Care to put your money where your mouth is, Farm Boy?” Risha smirked, taking another racer.

“You’re on!”

Aric grabbed a racer, “Doesn’t matter, I am going to wipe the course with all of you!”

“Eh, I will have a go, but I am not that great.” Mallay admitted and got into a racer, “It does look fun though.”

“I am not that good either, but I agree, it looks fun,” Elara said as she grabbed the last racer.

“Hey guys, I feel the need….” Corso started.

“The need for speed!” Aric, Bella, and Risha chimed in.

They put their names in and the race started. Aric, Bella, Corso, and Risha got ahead quickly while Mallay and Elara were just trying not to crash.

“Oooo, Farm Boy fights dirty!” Risha laughed as Corso bumped her and shot ahead.

“Rubbin’s racin’!” Corso drawled.

“Oh no you don’t…” Bella yelled.

“Oh yes I do!” Aric laughed as he passed her.

“Oh damn, sorry Elara!” Mallay laughed as she crashed into her.

Elara was giggling, “It doesn’t matter, I don't think either of us had much of a chance!”

Aric and Corso were neck and neck with Risha and Bella desperately trying to catch up, then Corso looked at Aric, “Sorry man, but I have a title to defend…” Then he bumped Aric, sending him flying into Bella and Risha and shot through the finish line.

The group was laughing as they got out of the racers and congratulated Corso on his victory. They made their way to the prize area to turn in the tokens they’d won. They decided to get prizes for the winners. Bella found a sparkly pink tiara and Aric found a shiny metal on a blue ribbon that said ‘Champion.’ Bella put the tiara on Mallay’s head and the ribbon around Corso’s neck.

“You both realize that you will have to defend your titles at some point.” Elara told them. She had come very close to beating Mallay and wanted another shot.

Mallay turned to Corso and winked, “Are you worried Racing Champion? ‘Cause I know I am not!”

Corso grinned, “Nope, Dancing Queen, not worried in the least!”

The group left the arcade then, Havoc Squad heading for the Republic Embassy and the rest heading for the spaceport.

Note:

This story is a product of a dream I had last night. I have been spending a lot of time writing about Mallay and Bella lately and combine that with the fact that my kids keep making me play Just Dance 4 with them....well, this is what happens. Also, for those who caught the references, I have always loved Tom Cruise! :o

Edited by alaurin

I haven't been reading or writing for a little while and I'm sorry :(

My husband bought me Monster Hunter 3U, so we've been huntering monsters together. Also, I'm doing a writing course at the moment, but it has required me to go to *places* with *people* and do *things*, not to mention work's been nagging me for hours.

Still, I'm active on my tumblr, even if I'm not posting sexy stories on it.

Drive by posting. I'm a terrible person.

Anniversaries

Rochester

Rochester stepped onto the treadmill. He would need to start slow, at walking pace, but he was determined to make progress. After five minutes of walking, he increased the speed. A fast walking pace, one expected of an officer and one needed of an agent. His legs no longer felt stiff, but they were sluggish to respond. He set his jaw, gripped the rails on either side and forced every step. One foot down, now up, again and again...

Rochester soon found himself mentally exhausted. He wanted so much to sit, but knew that stopping now would be too close to failure. With considerable effort, he pushed against the barrier, able to continue walking, but he was barely keeping pace. His legs started to burn. There were two minutes left on the timer. Sweat dripped into his eyes, his brow was slick and his t-shirt had started to stick. He watched the numbers count down, the seconds feeling like minutes. A misplaced foot almost tripped him. He stumbled, caught himself on the rails, and nearly bashed his face against the controls.

The treadmill began to slow. Thirty seconds left. He felt tired and his breathing was heavy, though he was not gasping. The timer reached zero and he stepped off the belt. With shaking legs and tremors in his arms, he staggered to a chair and all but fell into the seat.

It had been a year. It had been a year and he still felt as if he could barely walk. He wiped the sweat from his face. He felt like crying.

Comments:

@Marissalf: I feel awful for Kinka. The Imperial Agent storyline is done really well and she has good reason to worry about her loved ones. This:

“I’m not that naive anymore. The players might change, but as long as I’m alive, so is Cipher Nine and all that that life encompasses.”
is all too true!

Also, hehe, naughty Kaliyo....poor Talos!!

@Bright: I loved the interaction between Mellekor and Aranz. It is clear that they both care about Vette and Mellekor is right to be concerned, she could easily be a target for someone wanting to get at Aranz.

@Magdalane: Ah the things we let out when we are drunk. I think Corso should have left that confession out!! :o

@Selentar: Oh, I am so hooked, can't wait for the rest!!

@ Eversteam: Awww, poor Corso and poor Audra!

@Tatile: We all get busy, no need to feel bad at all! Very intense piece...poor Rochester!

Replies:

@Marissalf:

Alaurin, Oh Mallay can hope no one heard all she wants...I’ve got a feeling there were at least a few ears listening
you are about to find out....

@Bright:

...Mallayse has a lot of embarrassing, demons, doesn't she? I love it.
Yes, yes she does. Mallay has 2 things that work against her...she has a tendency to say what is on her mind without thinking, especially when annoyed or upset, and she gets embarrassed very easily.

@Magdalane:

Alaurin, girl talk is sacrosanct and should never be listened in on by one's superiors! Glad the sisters met up again, since i also write sisters. It's fun to see the dynamic between them.
Thanks! I love reading about Miriah, Maura, and Mags as well! Also, I agree, girl talk should always be private....unfortunately, Mallay just keeps forgetting others are watching and listening to her most of the time! :o

Now to continue the sisters' misadventures on Ord Mantell. For anyone that is interested, here is the series so far:

Title: Love and Hate

Prompt: Loneliness and Solitude

Character: Mallayse-trooper

Setting: Ord Mantell

Spoilers: Trooper Ord Mantell

Sargent Jorgan and Fuse were the only ones in the main room of HQ when Sargent Lauren entered with the data she’d downloaded after killing the three separatist leaders. Fuse noticed that she was studying them carefully as she walked in and figured she was wondering if they’d been listening in while she was talking with her sister. Fuse was careful to keep his expression normal. He’d been the only one in the room when the topic of sex came up. He was a little ashamed at himself for listening, but he had wanted to know more about the pretty Sargent. She seemed like a nice girl, a little shy like he was. He liked hearing her lighthearted banter with her sister. It really troubled him that she thought so little of her appearance. He thought she was beautiful and was smitten from the first moment he saw her. He found himself wondering what she thought of him, then sadly realized that it didn’t matter.

“Welcome back, Sargent,” he told her, “Nice job at Mannet Point!”

“Thank you, sir!” she replied, saluting.

“Do you have the data for me, Sargent?” Lieutenant Jorgan growled at her.

“Yes, sir.” Mallay replied and handed the data over to him. Egotistical jerk….too good to compliment a lowly rookie, she thought, I really can’t wait until we finish on Ord Mantell and I can get away from Lieutenant Jerkface for good!

“By the way, Gearbox returned earlier and had your duffle bag. Unfortunately, your trunk was destroyed.” Fuse told her, “He took it to the room you will be staying in. Sorry about your trunk.”

“Thanks, sir. I have enough clothing and toiletries in my duffle to get me through a couple of days. Hopefully, we will be done with our mission by then and I will have time to shop for more things.” She sighed, “I will miss my cannon though.”

Fuse spoke up again, “Oh, and I almost forgot, we sent some stuff over to Viidu’s warehouse for your sister.” He looked a little embarrassed as he went on, “From what we overheard from your armor cam earlier today, we figured that she might need a change of clothes and some toiletries.”

“Thank you so much, sir! That was very thoughtful of you!” Mallay smiled at him, “I know she will appreciate it and want to thank you herself!”

Fuse felt his heart skip a beat when she smiled at him. “Actually, Lieutenant Jorgan is the one who found the stuff and knew where to send it. I just came up with the idea.” He admitted.

Mallay stared at Jorgan, surprised, “Thank you, sir. That was nice of you.”

“You’re welcome, Sargent.” Jorgan muttered, heading for the door, “I am going to bed. Sargent, your room is down the hall from mine, so if you want, I can show you the way now.”

“Thank you, sir.” Mallay replied, then turned to Fuse and smiled, “Good night, and thank you again for thinking of my sister.”

Fuse bade her good night watched her follow Lieutenant Jorgan out of the room. If only things were different, he thought sadly.

The next morning, Mallay went into HQ to find Needles and Jorgan waiting for her. Needles explained that there was a man and wife who had fallen ill with what seemed to be radiation sickness. Since they were day laborers, the only way they would have been exposed to enough radiation to cause the sickness was if they had been handling the stolen ZR-57.

“I want you to go talk to them, Sargent. Get them to tell you where they took the bomb.” Needles instructed, “Their illness is very painful and we didn’t have the right meds to cure them, only to stop it from worsening. If you could find the correct ingredients, you could offer them a cure for illness in exchange for their information.”

“Do we know where these ingredients are, sir? Mallay asked him.

“A storage building was recently raided by scavangers. Most likely the scavangers will still have the stuff we need. They have a camp west of Oradam Village.” Lieutenant Jorgan explained, “We have known about their camp for some time, but haven’t had the manpower to clear them out.”

“Once you have the cure, take it to Zak’s house in Oradam Village.” Needles told her.

“Nothing fancy on this, rookie,” Jorgan barked, enjoying the murderous glare she gave him, “just get to the camp, retrieve the ingredients for the cure, take it to Zak in Oradam Village, and find out where they took the ZR-57! Think you can handle that?”

“Yes, sir!” Mallay replied and quickly left before her rising temper got the better of her. Stars, I would just love to kick him in the junk, just once…. ok, maybe more than once!

Mallay set out for the scavenger camp. She found herself missing her sister and hoped that she was doing alright. She smiled and wondered if she tried to seduce Corso while staying with him last night. Hopefully, she would run into Bella later.

She located the camp rather quickly, took her anger at Jorgan out on the scavengers, and found what she needed for the cure. She wanted this assignment over quickly so she could join her squad in finally recovering the stolen bomb. She was also eager to actually feel like part of Havoc Squad. So far, she hadn’t really gotten the chance to work with any of them, something that bothered her a little. She could handle herself just fine, but how was she going to learn to work with them if she was sent out alone all of the time? Oh well, she thought, it could be worse…..they could have stuck me with Lieutenant Jerkface!

Mallay made her way through Oradam Village and went into Zak’s house. She found Zak and his wife, Jallar, upstairs. They looked awful, and Mallay felt bad for using the cure to get information from them. However, she had her orders.

Mallay told them that she was here with a cure for their illness, but they would need to help her first. She explained that they had radiation sickness from handling the stolen bomb. Zak didn’t know anything about the bomb, but admitted that they both got sick soon after helping to move a large crate for the Separatists. He said that he never saw what was inside the crate and the Separatists didn’t tell them, but that had to be what she was looking for. Despite his wife’s protests, Zak told Mallay that they took the crate to the Separatists main stronghold, located inside the volcano.

“Thank you for telling me this,” Mallay told Zak as she administered the cure to him and Jallar, “You should start noticing improvement within the next hour. Take it easy for a few days if you can. This might be a good time to reconsider who you work for.”

Zak thanked her for finding the cure and assured her that they would be rethinking their involvement with the Seperatists. Mallay heard her Holo, and left the room to answer it. It was Lieutenant Jorgan telling her he had put out the call and Havoc was assembling at HQ. She quickly signed off and headed out for Fort Garnik.

Edited by alaurin

Comments!

Bright, Ananz and Mellekor face to face! I love the tension between them.

Magdalane,

“Darlin’ you juss don’t know,” Corso slurred, grinning at his wife. “One time, on Taris, when you were wet and miserable, I stared at your backside so hard I thought sure you’ll feel it and get mad.”

“Oh, I knew you were staring. I’d have been mad if you weren’t,” she giggled, taking another long swig from the bottle before passing it to Corso.

This made me giggle :D

Selentar, Looking forward to what happens next!

Eversteam, I feel for Corso. That’s a tough thing loving someone and not being able to tell if they’re playing you because they’ve gotten so good at pretending.

Tatile, Oof, you can just feel the pain — mental and physical — that Rochester’s in.

Alaurin, Your Defenses story was so fun to read! I love the idea of Bella and Mallay getting their crews together for game night. Everybody deserves a night off some time :)

Defenses for SW Rissia, about 1,000 words. Spoilers for IA class story (Acts I & II)

Some violence ahead. Nothing too graphic, but it bears a mention.

Note:

Takes place years after Rissia's class story. She's given up her title as Wrath and become a member of the Dark Council. At this point, Kinka has just wrapped up Act I.

Dark Council meetings were the height of boredom. Each of the members had his or her petty agenda to push, none of them worth the brain cells required to pay attention to such matters. On more than one occasion, Rissia found herself nodding off during some pompous darth’s rantings against whatever it was that happened to offend him that day. She’d endured moves to boycott everything from mouse droids (lambasted for always being underfoot) to the color yellow (no, really). Every day it was something more ridiculous, but on this particular afternoon, the subject of debate roused the former Wrath from her malaise.

“We’ve come to the point where we’re going to need to eliminate Cipher Nine.”

Rissia’s face was a mask of stoicism as a holo image of her daughter appeared before them, but inside she worked feverishly to calm her nerves. Do they know? she wondered. If any of them had been watching for her reaction, they hid it well. Most of the council members appeared wholly uninterested. But any one of them could detect her fear if they wanted to reach out through the Force, and if this were a deliberate attempt to rattle her, they would.

“My lord?”

Rissia looked across the room at the outsider who’d spoken up. The balding man. The — what was it again? — Keeper. That’s it, Keeper. If no one else knows, he does. The man’s face twitched almost imperceptibly as he studied her face. He knows she’s my daughter, and he’s waiting for my reaction, wondering if I’ll explode in a fit of rage and take them all out. Rissia’s eyes met his, the Sith silently pleading for him to help her daughter. She quickly looked away as Darth Sedius addressed Keeper.

“Your agent performed well, but in demonstrating an ability to take down one of us, she proved herself too dangerous to be allowed to live. If she could threaten Jadus...”

“Due respect, my lord, but taking down the terror network, and as it turned out, Jadus, was her mission. Had she failed—”

“Her fate would be the same.”

“What would you have me do to her, my lord? Explosion? Poison?” Keeper could hardly hide the disdain in his voice, but the others had missed it. Rissia smirked at his audacity. Under different circumstances, she’d have been quite entertained by the little man’s antics.

“One of the usual ways, I suppose,” Darth Sedius mused. “Specifics are your job, not mine.”

“There is another option,” Rissia said, not realizing she’d spoken aloud. Keeper continued to watch her intently while Sedius seemed irritated at the interruption. Across the room, Darth Pollus had begun to snore. “We can neutralize the agent without losing an asset we’ve spent valuable time and resources training. After all, our efforts would be better spent preparing for the inevitable conflict with the Republic.”

The darth sneered. “I find that suggestion dubious, at best.”

“There is in existence an experimental serum that can allow access to and control of a subject’s mind. I have found that Castellan restraints are quite effective in neutralizing any threats a person might cause.” She kept her tone soft, deliberate, devoid of passion. They would accept this option, she knew, because of the possibilities it would create. But they’d need to see it in action. Rissia’s stomach churned.

“How would such a thing even work?”

“I’m not a scientist, Sedius. I don’t know how it works, I just know that it does.”

“Without proof of concept, we only have your word to go off of.”

“And I don’t believe it’s reliable in this situation,” one of the others intoned, finally taking an interest in the debate.

“Very well.” Rissia pulled out her holo, keeping her hand steady, and brought up an image of her husband. “I can demonstrate its effectiveness.”

“General Malavai Quinn. What can I do for you, my lord?” Quinn was the image of Imperial perfection in his crisp general's uniform. He had no idea what was about to come over him. Rissia had only used the keyword once, a very long time ago.

“Keyword: Venigo. Take out your blaster and shoot that man behind you in the head.”

Without hesitation, he turned and fired his blaster at the poor ensign, who collapsed in a heap as the blaster fire shot through his forehead.

Sedius appeared amused, but not sated. “You could have rehearsed that.”

Damn it. How far was he going to push this?

“Alright,” she said, her voice flat. “Quinn, take out the knife you keep in your boot.”

The general withdrew the knife and waited for new orders. He was silent, but his eyes were wild with fear and confusion. Quinn knew nothing of what was happening, only that he didn’t have control of his actions. He looked for reassurance from his wife but found none.

“Cut, and do not make a sound.”

Without hesitation, Quinn rolled up his uniform sleeve and drew the blade across his flesh, his eyes locked on hers. Rissia dodged his gaze, watching as the expressions around the room changed. Most from boredom to sick amusement, though Keeper’s remained grim as always.

“If you’re quite satisfied...” Rissia turned her attention back to her husband, whose blood was pooling on the floor of his office somewhere across Kaas City. “Keyword: Venigo. Stop cutting and have someone tend to that wound. You will not speak of this to anyone.”

Quinn nodded drowsily and managed to reply “Yes...my...lord,” before his grainy figure disappeared from the holo.

The Dark Council chambers buzzed with excitement. “Why Rissia, you are as depraved as they always said you were. Wrath indeed. And what a delightful new toy,” Sedius purred. “Imagine the possibilities.”

“Wherever did you come across this technology?” one of the others asked.

“I was friendly with a remarkable scientist years ago. Brilliant man, very willing to blaze new paths in the name of science.” She turned to Keeper, who looked as stoic as ever, his gaze boring holes into the conference table. “He was one of yours, I believe. Dr. Eckard Lokin?”

Keeper cleared his throat and nodded. “Yes, my lord, he’s one of ours.”

Rissia waved a hand nonchalantly and plastered on a grim smile. “So are we agreed? We’ll use the Castellan restraints on this agent?”

Each nodded in agreement, Sedius the last to give his consent. “See that it’s done, Keeper.”

Inside Rissia let out the breath she’d been holding. She’d have to explain everything to Quinn that night, but it didn’t matter. Their daughter would be safe for now. Both of them would hate her for it, but they’d never know how close Kinka came to dying that day.

@marissalf: WOW!!! I can't imagine the terror Rissia must have felt! Nicely done!

Alaurin, Your Defenses story was so fun to read! I love the idea of Bella and Mallay getting their crews together for game night. Everybody deserves a night off some time
thanks! It was a silly, fun piece to write.

Now, since this weeks' featured NOLP is Confessions, here are a couple for Bella, followed by some more girl talk. Sorry about the length....I think waaaayyyy too much when I run! These 3 parts immediately follow Wardrobe Malfunction

I promise, I will slow down with the postings...:rolleyes:

Title: Feelings Can Be Scary Things

Character: Belladonya-smuggler

Setting: XS Freighter

Spoilers: Smuggler Alderaan

They had just landed on Alderaan and Bella headed into the cargo hold with Risha to get their delivery ready.

“This first delivery should be a piece of glaze cake,” Risha started, coughing a little. “You just need to escort this ancient droid to a couple of nobles living in the Organa Castle. They are a brother and sister, Lenn and Cedonia Teraan. They will trade you some schematics for the droid then you can come back here for the next delivery.”

Bella hoped Risha was right about that, since she was still feeling a bit run down. She didn’t want to deal with any trouble. Shortly after leaving Tatooine, Risha and Bella came down with a virus. Since none of them had much medical experience, Bella called her sister. She figured between Mallay and Elara, they would get any medical advice they would need. Mallay had been resting, but Bella got to speak with Elara. Elara had Bella run scans on herself and Risha, then told them what to expect and what they would need. She warned them that that virus takes 24 hours to show symptoms once exposed so it was very likely that Corso and Bowdar would have it as well. Sure enough, it hit Corso a few hours later. Somehow, Bowdar managed to escape the illness. Unfortunately, Corso was a lot sicker than Bella and Risha had been and still had a slight fever. Before they landed, Bella convinced Corso to sleep in her quarters since she was going to be out making deliveries. It was quieter there and he would be able to get more comfortable. He argued at first, but was too tired to keep it up and was now sleeping peacefully.

“Hey Risha, will you check in on Corso while Bowdar and I are gone?”

“I suppose I could lower myself to do that for Farm Boy.” Risha sighed.

“Come on, I am being serious. He is still pretty sick.”

Risha studied Bella for a moment. She hadn’t known her very long, but thought of her as a friend and knew Bella felt the same. So she decided to ask the question that had she’d been wanting to ask for a while now.

“Bella, do you have feelings for Corso?”

Bella knew Risha was being serious since she referred to him as Corso and not ‘Farm Boy’. She decided to confide in her friend. “Oh Risha, I do and it scares me to death!” she whispered, her eyes shining with tears.

“Why? I know you like to flirt with him, and tease him by flirting with other men in front of him, so you must like him and want him to like you. You obviously find him attractive and I can’t blame you there. Why would having feelings for him be scary?”

“When I was sixteen, I fell in love with a smuggler, Jackson, and gave him my virginity. I was so completely in love with him and was sure he was ‘the one!’ As it turns out, he was an Imperial Agent who used me to get to my father for information. I found that out when he held a blaster to my head while two Imperial soldiers held my father and my mother looked on.”

“Oh stars, Bella, I am so sorry. What happened to him?”

Bella smiled coldly, “He is dead. I put a vibroknife in his gut and a blaster to his face. This was his ship.”

“I am guessing there is a bit more to it than that, but in the very least, you should be happy to have rid the galaxy of a scumbag like that.”

“Yes, there is more, but I am not feeling up to talking about it right now.”

“I understand,” Risha started, “I know that Jackson guy broke your trust, badly, but Corso isn’t Jackson. Corso is a good guy. He is completely crazy about you and would kill anyone who tried to harm you. I am pretty sure he is safe to fall in love with.”

“I know that in my heart Risha, but my brain is fighting it. Mallay has told me the same thing. For now, I just want to take things slowly, maybe give my brain time to realize what my heart already knows.”

“You should talk to him, Bella. Be open and honest about how you are feeling and why you feel that way. I know, I know,” she said as Bella arched an eyebrow, “I am not usually an advocate of an ‘open and honest’ policy, but I think it will do you both some good.”

Bella laughed at her friend, “Never thought I would hear you singing Corso’s praises.”

“Hey, I never said that I liked him, just that he is a good guy and pleasant to look at,” Risha laughed. “Now get out of here with that old droid. I will make sure Farm Boy is ok while you are gone. Who knows, I may even be nice to him.”

“Thanks Risha, for looking in on Corso and for listening.” Bella told her friend as headed out to find Bowdar.

Title: It’s Time

Character: Belladonya-smuggler

Setting: Alderaan and XS Freighter

Spoilers: Smuggler Alderaan

Bella and Bowdar were finally returning to the ship after the first delivery at the end of the day. Piece of glaze cake my backside, Bella thought as her and Bowdar were boarding the ship. That quick run ended up being way more than that.

When they arrived at Lenn and Cedonia Teraan’s suite in the Organa Palace with the droid, they learned that it wasn’t going to be so simple. Bella hadn’t really dealt with nobility very much and hoped never to again after they left Alderaan. Lenn and Cedonia both had that air of superiority about them. Bella kept her cool and played nice with them, even flirting a little with Lenn. She found flirting usually got things done faster and sometimes resulted in a better payout with men. Occasionally, a man would try to take the flirting a little further than she wanted, but was quickly discouraged with a kick to a highly sensitive area. There were times when she would allow the flirting to go further, but that hadn’t happened since she met Corso. Now she realized that was because she had been developing feelings for him, but she had been too afraid to admit it….even to herself.

As it turned out, the Teraan siblings needed a datapad that was at their old estate. Unfortunately, this estate had been taken over by House Baliss and Bella would have to fight her way in. Lenn also asked if she could get some heirlooms while she was there. He promised to pay well for them, so Bella agreed since they would be there already. She kept playing nice with Lenn after his sister left, hoping that payment would get bigger. However, when he referred to Bowdar as her servant, she’d had enough.

“Bowdar isn’t a servant, he is my friend,” she snapped at Lenn, glaring at him. “I think it is time I go. I will be back when I get the datapad and your heirlooms.” With that, she and Bowdar left, Bowdar barking his thanks to her.

By the time they made their way to and fought their way through the estate, Bella was ready to put this planet behind her. Risha was right, Alderaan was beautiful, but nobility was anything but. They got the datapad and heirlooms without too much trouble and returned to the Teraan siblings. Lenn tried flirting with her some more, but Bella just ignored it. After the servant comment directed at Bowdar, she was done playing nice. She took her payment and left, ready to rest for the night. They would make the second delivery tomorrow and hopefully Corso would be feeling well enough to accompany her. She had really missed him today.

Bella had been doing some thinking about her situation with Corso while she and Bowdar were dealing with that first delivery. Risha is right, she finally decided, I do need to talk to Corso and get things out in the open.

Bella decided to check in on Corso right away and if he was awake and feeling better, she would talk to him. She found him in the rec area, dreds loose and hanging down, watching Huttball on the HoloVid. He looked tired and a little flustered.

“Hey Corso, feeling any better?” she asked him.

“A little,” he admitted, sounding a little hoarse but smiling at her. “Thanks for letting me sleep in your quarters, it is so nice and quiet in there. I can’t remember the last time I slept that soundly.”

“Did Risha bother you at all? I asked her to check in on you to make sure you were doing ok.”

“Oh, she checked in on me alright,” he snorted. “She apparently thought that included when I was in the shower!”

Bella giggled, “Oh Corso, I am sure it was an accident.”

“She had a Holo camera with her!” he told her, blushing. “I know I am not her favorite person, but that isn’t right. I would like to be able to take a shower without worrying about her spying on me!”

“I will talk to her about it. It won’t happen again, you have my word,” Bella assured him.

“You don’t have to do that for me, Captain. I know she is your friend and I don’t want to cause a problem…”

“Corso, she spied on you in the shower, I am certainly going to talk to her about that.” Bella interrupted, giggling at Corso’s blush, “She is my friend, and she still will be. She just needs to understand that spying on fellow crew members in the shower is a no-no.”

Then she decided to go for broke, “Besides, you are becoming more than a friend to me Corso and I want to talk about that.” She told him nervously.

Corso looked at her then, afraid to say anything out of fear that she would bolt. He had strong feelings for his Captain. The first time he laid eyes on her, his heart nearly stopped and he felt like a boy with his first crush. His feelings for her grew as they traveled together. He even hinted his feelings to her a couple of times, but she got tense and changed the subject. She flirted with him though, so he hoped that she had feelings for him on some level. He just didn’t want to be another fling for her….he wanted much more.

“You can talk to me about anything, anytime, Captain. I hope you know that.” He finally spoke.

“I know that Corso, and I also know that you have feelings for me. I have feelings for you as well, and that scares me so very much.” she finally admitted, tears shining in her dark green eyes.

“Why Bella? Have I done something to make you afraid?” he asked her, his handsome face looking upset at the thought that he had done something to hurt her.

“No Corso,” she assured him, then took a deep breath. “When I was sixteen, I fell in love with a man, Jackson, and I was convinced that he was the one. I even gave him my virginity. Unfortunately, Jackson wasn’t who he claimed to be. He was an Imperial Agent who was using me to get to my father. He held a blaster to my head and demanded that my father give up the information he had.”

“Oh Bella, I am so sorry that happened to you.” He’d had a feeling that something bad had happened in her past, but he figured it was just emotional hurt from a bad relationship. He was shocked to hear how bad it really was. He reached out and took her hand, a little surprised when she kept it in his. He wanted to kill that man for what he had done to her! “Where is he now?” he asked, his voice thick with emotion.

“Dead,” she replied coldly, “I stabbed him in the gut with his own vibroknife and while he was down, I picked up his blaster and shot him in the face. He was the first man I really fell in love with and the first person I killed.”

Corso looked at her sadly, feeling angry at Jackson, glad that he was dead, and despair that he was sure Bella would not be able to return his feelings because of what had happened to her. “I rather die than ever do anything to hurt you, Bella. So you only have to say the word and I will leave you alone. I hope I can at least be your friend.”

Bella squeezed his hand, “Corso, I wanted to tell you this so you would understand me a little better. I have feelings for you and those feelings scare me, but that doesn’t mean that I intend to let fear stop me! I hope you know me better than that.” She smiled at him then, her eyes shining with tears. “I just need to take things slowly. In my heart, I know you are a good man that would never hurt me. I just need to make my brain understand that.”

Corso gathered her in his arms, breathing in her scent that he already loved so much. “I'm not going anywhere, Bella. We can take things as slowly as you need. If I'm pushing too hard, please tell me and I'll back off. I'm just so very happy that you're willing to work through your fears with me.”

She looked into his kind brown eyes and smiled, “We don’t have to go that slow,” she started, but was interrupted when his mouth gently brushed hers. Risha was right, she thought as she felt her heart flutter, I do feel better! Then Corso deepened the kiss and she didn’t think at all, just enjoyed the heady sensation of kissing the man who'd finally broken through her defenses and made her trust again.

Title: Sometimes I Can’t Believe We Are Related

Prompt: Sisterhood

Character: Belladonya-smuggler & Mallayse-trooper

Setting: XS Freighter

Spoilers: none really

Risha was surprised when Bella hadn’t answered the Holo, she had been expecting to hear from Mallay something this evening. Risha went to find her and when she did, she realized why Bella hadn’t heard the Holo. Looks like she finally broke down and talked to Farm Boy, she thought, happy for her friend.

“Ahem,” she coughed, “sorry to interrupt, well, not really, but Mallay's on the ship's Holo for you, Bella.” She smirked at Bella and Corso, “Oh, and it’s about time you two got around to that!”

“Tell her I will be right there!” Bella told her and turned to Corso after Risha left the room. “You still look tired, we can continue this later. For now, you go get some rest. Please, take my quarters again. Risha and I need some girl time anyways and I am sure Bowdar’s snoring doesn’t make sleep easy.”

“On one condition,” Corso told her, looking a little dazed, “I want to come with you to make the delivery. I don’t want to be alone with Risha again!”

Bella laughed at that. “I would love to have you with me. I really missed you today!”

Corso smiled and left to go get some sleep. Bella went to the holo where Risha was standing, chatting with her sister.

“Hey sis, what’s up?”

“Not much, Elara told me you tried to reach me when I was sleeping. She said you guys were all sick. I didn’t find out until we were in hyperspace so I wanted to check in when we got out.”

“Yeah, I actually wanted to talk to her anyways and see if there was anything else we could do for what we had. We are better now. Risha and I had it at the same time, Bowdar never got it, Corso got it last and worst, but he is getting better now.” Bella laughed, “Unfortunately, I had to leave him on the ship with Risha while I had a delivery to make.”

“Uh oh, what did she do?”

“What makes you think I did anything to Farm Boy?” Risha asked, trying to look innocent.

“Because I have basic intelligence, so spill,” Mallay retorted.

“Hey, I took good care of him while Bella was out. I made sure he was comfortable, and had anything he needed. I checked in on him several times!”

“Including when he was in the shower….and she brought a holocam with her!” Bella interrupted.

“Oh Risha, you didn’t! Poor Corso, he is never going to shower with you around again!” Mallay laughed.

“How are you all doing?” Bella asked. “Elara said you guys got caught in a sandstorm! I am so glad we left Tatooine before that hit!”

“We are good. Forex needed cleaning out, my back scars got a bit irritated from the sand rubbing, but Elara treated them, that is why I was sleeping. She gave me a little kolto and that always makes me drowsy. Unfortunately, I have armor to repair because of that blasted sand!”

“Sand broke your armor? How does that happen?”

“No silly,” Mallay laughed, “Aric and I were caught in a second sandstorm and the sand was ground into our gear so bad that we had to break and tear some of it to get it off. I couldn’t even get out of mine by myself, so I had to get Aric to help me undress!”

“Oh, that had to be interesting. I can’t believe you managed to find the guts to ask a man to undress you!” Bella giggled.

“Yeah, well the sand was rubbing me raw. The pain and irritation helped me overcome my embarrassment.”

So….what happened after he undressed you? I want details!” Bella grinned.

“Yeah, spill!” Risha chimed in.

“Stars you too, nothing happened. I highly doubt Aric thinks of me that way at all. After he tore my under armor enough for me to get out of it, he left me alone so I could finish undressing and go to the refresher to shower.”

“Have I not taught you anything sister dear?! You had a prime opportunity to seduce a man and you did nothing! I am soooo disappointed in you!”

Mallay rolled her eyes, “Anyways, I think he might be getting sick. Elara said he was tossing and turning in his bunk all night and finally got up and took a shower. I hope he isn’t getting what you all had because we really don’t have time for illness." They heard Elara calling for Mallay, "Damn, I need to go, we are about to land on Alderaan and I am sure Garza will be contacting me as soon as we touch down. I am not sure how much free time I will have, but I will try to get ahold of you later. Maybe we can all get together if you are still on planet.”

“Sounds like a plan sis. Love you and stay safe!” Bella told her sister, then disconnected and looked over at Risha.

“Are you sure you two are related?” Risha asked, shaking her head. “How can anyone related to you be so clueless about men?!”

“I know, I know!” Bella laughed. “I would bet my best blaster that Aric was having naughty dreams about my sister and had to take a cold shower!”

“Hey, speaking of Aric Jorgan and cold showers,” Risha started, looking thoughtful, “What are the odds that we could talk your sister into spying on him in the shower?”

Edited by alaurin

Catching up from last prompt, in no particular order:

Very belated welcome to sthrift! And thanks to everyone who enjoyed (and commented on) my last story, especially since I’ve been so quiet in this thread recently.

Comments:

Marissalf: Kinka certainly carries a lot of baggage. Keeper emphasizes the “treatment” was the better of two bad options; the idea that it was Kinka’s mother who suggested it is brilliant with your legacy.

Bright: I love the interplay between Ananz and Mellekor. One flippant (on the surface), the other brooding. “...Sith Secrets. Explaining it would defeat the point.” made me smile. I think you achieved the silly-serious balance that’s part of what makes the Star Wars universe so appealing.

Magdalane: Those must have been some special socks. :) Miriah and Corso drunk together is adorable.

Tatile: Your description of Rochester’s physical therapy was amazing. You made us not only feel his physical pain, but his disappointment with his recovery. Well done.

Alaurin: I like how being family is so central to Mallay and Bella and their adventures. All the way from the trenches on Ord Mantell to Nar Shaddaa’s arcades. Interesting to see them both falling for crewmembers and not really wanting to.

Selentar: Gah! Cliffhanger!

Everstream: Corso in-game often comes off as controlling; it's one of the biggest knocks against his character. It’s nice to see a caring explanation of that aspect of his character. He’s not stupid or even naive; he’s old-fashioned in a lot of ways.

Story Time:

Prompt: Defenses

Character: Jurial (Jedi Sage)

Title: Parable or Jurial Explains Why the Light Side is Preferable to the Dark Side

No spoilers. Jurial is just the narrator here, like an excerpt from a journal.

Once there were two gamblers. They both went to the casino and sat down at the sabacc tables to play. One gambler thought of himself. He played his cards to win. The other players at his table were rivals. He used all his skill to make sure they lost. He was only happy when he won the pot. The casino was happy to see him, and gave him free drinks and free food so he would stay. He did win. Often. But he lost as well. At the end of the night, he had lost more than he won. The others at the table had lost more than they won. But he was happy, because the others had not done better than he.

The second gambler played differently. He was a skilled player as well and liked winning. He recognized that sometimes the cards would not fall for him. But they might fall better for another, and he could use his poor cards to ensure another’s win. He was happiest when he won, but so long as the casino did not win, he was pleased. The casino was not happy when he came to play, but they could not keep him out. At the end of the night, he left the casino with no more than he brought at the beginning, but the others who played with him at the table went home with more. He was happy.

Those who rely on the Dark Side are like the first gambler. Using their skills and knowledge of the Force for individual benefit alone. They may get ahead for a time, but in the end they lose. Society loses. Only chaos and evil win.

Those who rely on the Light Side are like the second gambler. Using their skills and knowledge of the Force for the benefit of all. A single Force user may be just that, but many beings gain because of their positive influence. Society becomes better for their presence.

This is why a weak Jedi is more powerful than a strong Sith. A Jedi makes others around herself strong. A Sith tears others down and ends up alone.

Notes:

I dislike using “Jedi” and “Sith” in the last paragraph as synonyms for “Light Side Force User” and “Dark Side Force User.” The latter seem too long and technical; the sentences sound better to my ear with shorter words. “Lightsider” and “Darksider” sound too game-mechanical. Jurial would use a generic term for lightsider and darksider. I just can’t find one outside of the aforementioned ones and I didn’t want to make some up on the spot and confuse everyone. Plus I lose the alliteration of "strong sith". Where’s the real Jedi archive when you need it?

I will be adding comments to this post once I get them in order!

And here we go

@ Stiges: Even if I keep forgetting to snarkily reply to your separate topic (to your comment that "all those views have to come from people who actually read my story"), I do make a point to always read your posts, which I always enjoy!

@ Alaurin (combining replies here because i'm painfully lazy :p) I love the interweaving of the trooper and smuggler stories as well as the sisters working together

@ marissalf I love your Kinka stuff (even if you put poor Kinka through the ringer :(), especially as I've gotten much further along with my IA and can appreciate the story details/nuances I missed before

@ Bright - I really enjoyed the back and forth between Ananz and Mellekor; the references to Vette, the palpable tension that neither will really admit to.

@ Magdalane - I really enjoy your Miriah/Corso pieces, and I can hear the snarky tone of the female smuggler (love the voice acting!) there. I also like to think they're drinking because of having to go to Voss, but maybe that's my anti-Voss bias talking ;)

@ Selentar - I liked your piece's ability to show the teamwork/rapport Xaania has with the crew members; the inquisitor companions is an...interesting....group of characters (and I'm about to start my own Inq.'s story so it's always great to see how other people view the storyline/characters

@ Everstream -

She straps on the knives and blaster bolts that litter her dresser.
sounds like mine! :rak_01: Like Stiges said, I liked your own take on Corso (boo for stealing my comment)

@ Tatile - As someone who had to go through physical therapy myself, you absolutely nailed the feelings it can sometimes cause when things aren't going like you want them too.

Character: Ayrs Martell

Also appearing: Amurri (BH), Amitia (JK), Olympia (JC) and several companions

Prompt: Allies

Setting/Notes: Takes place after Makeb. Minor implied spoilers about the BH storyline.

We held the meeting in an abandoned warehouse near the main spaceport in Coronet, easier to get in and out without attracting much attention from the authorities, friendly though they might be. Well, maybe not for Amurri. Elara and I had decided on wearing civilian clothes to the meeting to avoid any unnecessary attention, so to any unsuspecting onlooker, we seemed to be nothing more than a happily married couple going for a walk hand-in-hand. The fact we were a happily married couple going for a walk hand-in-hand just gave us extra credibility. Or something. I frowned.

After a few minutes of weaving in and out of side streets to determine if we were being followed, we found ourselves in front of the main entrance. Before we pushed our way in, I grabbed Elara around the waist and pulled her in for a firm kiss. When we parted, her eyes were almost as bright as her smile.

“I see you are enjoying your foray into espionage, Ayrs. Perhaps I will have you...demonstrate...what other skills you've picked up once we finish."

I gave her a knowing wink and my best attempt at a seductive smile, then rapped on the interior door three times to let our contact from the Jedi know we were here. The door opened partway, then completely. Standing in front of us was a relatively well-built man with a buzz-cut and a wary expression on his face. I reached out with a hand, which he grasped firmly before shaking.

“Howdy. Major Ayrs Martell, Havoc Squad. This is my executive off- , err wi-, erm my wife and executive officer, Captain Elara Martell.” I felt that annoying sweat on the back of my neck, but the Jedi radiated nothing but calm.

“Pleasure to meet you. I am Quorian Dorjis.”

“Korian.” I tried it, frowning at the result, which seemed to amuse Elara.

Quorian,” he corrected, mildly and helpfully.

He motioned us over to a table, where we sat making awkward small talk for a few minutes until we heard another three raps at the door. We both got up, unintentionally coordinated, and made our way over to let the next arrival in. I was pleasantly surprised to see a familiar face, brown hair and eyes lighting up when she saw me, and brightening even further when she saw Elara, who sprang from her seat and squeezed between Quorian and me.

The two woman hugged, and kissed each other on the cheek, while the two of us slouched awkwardly to either side. When they separated, Amitia enveloped me in a hug that was rather painful given she was fully armored.

“Ayrs, I’m so happy to see you two, we need to get together way more often.” She slapped me on the back, while I mostly felt fortunate no one could see my blush other than Kira, who looked amused.

“All reasonable people are ecstatic to see me, Ami.” She smirked at that, even as I pointed to my co-host. “This is the Jedi shadow who was trailing the shipment, Koryon Dorjis.” I heard Elara cough; it sure looked like she was desperately holding back some giggles.

Quorian, It's Quorian Dorjis,” he corrected, obviously taking things a little too seriously.

Then, as if to hide that fact, he motioned Amitia and Kira into the room, where they took seats around the table. Kira regaled us with a story about the annoying man I knew only as Doc, who had apparently been banned for life from the most posh day spa on Coruscant. Elara filled Amitia in on the details of our time on Makeb, as well as offering some suggestions of things to do on Ithor. Not like we spent much time outside the room, though.

Another three knocks.

Quorian and I moved towards the door, which revealed a lone Mirialan woman in an outfit that looked suspiciously like one of the authentic replica Bastila Shan robe sets I had seen on an infomercial one night. She also seemed vaguely familiar, even as I shook her hand after she introduced herself.

“This may sound weird, but didn’t Elara and I see you at a café awhile back. On Coruscant, you were drinking a foamy drink?”

Her green skin took on a slightly pink hue, and she quietly replied, “Yes.”

“So it was you with that talking robot-o-gram and…”

“Yes.” A bit louder, this time.

“And the stuffed bantha, that was…”

“Yes, yes, yes. That was me being publicly humiliated by my lovely husband.” I wanted to flex in victory but gave her a reassuring smile instead after seeing the expression on her face.

“Oh, before I appear even ruder than I already am, let me introduce our co-host for this event. He’s been trailing the package for quite some time. Olympia, this is Kwaran Dorjis.”

I could hear Ami and Kira snickering quietly at the table behind me, and this time Elara wasn’t even trying to hide her amusement, although she at least was kind enough to hide her laughter behind her right hand. Her shaking shoulders revealed her betrayal, though.

Quorian.” The irritating man said, voice tinged with irrational annoyance and rage. “Quorian Dorjis.”

More small talk ensued. I heard Ami and Olympia talking animatedly about eggs, or something, which didn't make much sense to me. They both seemed quite annoyed with their respective medics as well, which I could sympathize with even if I'd been blessed beyond anything I deserved with mine. I leaned in and kissed Elara's cheek as Olympia informed us of the impending wedding between her medic and his holographic girlfriend.

Three more knocks came from the door.

My favorite bounty hunter in the entire galaxy, Amurri Cabrillo, stood waiting with her arms folded across her chest as she paced in front of the door. She looked just like the last time I’d seen her, tattoo on her right cheek, red hair pulled back into a pony tail. At one time she’d been the most wanted woman in Republic space, but today she was an ally. I waved at Mako, who smiled before moving to greet Olympia. I overheard something about a scorekeeper.

Amurri was giving me a particularly penetrating look. “Major Martell, I trust you’re treating Lieutenant Jorgan well.”

I smirked, but nodded. No sense in antagonizing her with misplaced or mistimed humor, not when she was so important to the mission. “He’s doing well, said he’d be waiting at the Omega Zero drop point, whatever the hell that means.”

She smiled at that and nodded. We shook hands, then walked back towards the table, which would barely fit her and Mako if we were lucky. I hate standing. The previously animated discussion stopped as we got there, and it felt like everyone was watching me, for some reason.

“This is our contact from the Jedi Council, who’s been tracking the shipment.” I nodded my head towards Quorian. “He’ll be briefing us with several months’ worth of information.”

Amurri looked slightly amused. “Does this surveillance superhero have a name?”

I felt the weight of the room’s eyes and expectations. Amurri and Mako looked puzzled, but the others...I glanced out of the corner of my eye and saw Amitia biting her lip, Olympia trying to hide her laughter behind serenity and – the worst traitor of all - Elara sucking in a large breath in anticipation. Quorian narrowed his eyes and looked about ready to make me a head shorter with his lightsaber. Time slowed, then came to a halt.

“We call him Q. ”

Note: Ayrs/Elara and Olympia "met" in this scene

Edited by Lesaberisa

Week of 6/14/2013

Mea Culpa - Our characters have probably done a lot of wrong or perceived wrong, one way or another. Sometimes they think an apology is necessary. Sometimes they really don't. Sometimes they may want to apologize even when they didn't do anything. Sometimes the wronged party accepts it; sometimes they reject it; sometimes they're not there to hear it. Write about a time when your character or someone they know was prompted to apologize.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5223753&postcount=1675.

This week's featured NotLP:

Hidden Talents - All of our characters are good fighters, but people are good at more than one thing. What else are they good at - and how do their friends and family react to learning about this hidden skill?

@ Striges: Even if I keep forgetting to snarkily reply to your separate topic (to your comment that "all those views have to come from people who actually read my story"), I do make a point to always read your posts, which I always enjoy!

It took me a second to figure out what you were referring to. Did I offend? With my parenthetical comment? I know I haven’t been posting much in this thread but...then I realized you referred to my other thread.

On topic, though, as the former owner of a difficult-to-pronounce name, I sympathize with Quorian. The Force finds all kinds of ways to test your patience. This one takes the form of a Republic trooper.

Commentary!

@alaurin, it's nice to know Mallay has a physical pursuit that doesn't make her hopelessly self-conscious. It's good to have that outlet. And then...d'aww, Fuse.

“Yes, sir!” Mallay replied and quickly left before her rising temper got the better of her. Stars, I would just love to kick him in the junk, just once…. ok, maybe more than once!

This. So much this. Jorgan gets off to such an amazingly jerk-y spot. My trooper wanted to slap him, lots.

And Lenn Teraan being an obnoxious rich boy...he's still in my mental database as "Captain Forgettable," because I remember his existence but can never remember his name. And yeah, that is after Nic slept with him. I think Bella's avoidance policy may have been better, especially since she ended up with a much more positive conversation with Corso.

“Anyways, I think he might be getting sick. Elara said he was tossing and turning in his bunk all night and finally got up and took a shower.

*snickers maliciously*

@Eversteam From your first smuggler piece,

Risha enters and asks what happened. Her genuine concern for the Captain's health takes him a little off guard.

'The usual as far I know."

Ow. Not the kind of thing Corso can just leave be.

'Nothing more than fun?' There's a stern glumness in his voice and a certain masculine weight on his shoulders that sag under her persistent rejection.

'What more is there?' she asks with a shrug.

That, and

I know you like your reputation more than you like yourself
are such poignant lines. You're good at that.

@Lesaberisa,

“All reasonable people are ecstatic to see me, Ami.”
made me giggle. Seems like a reasonable statement to me. Also, I lost it at the last line.

@Magdalane, it's adorable to see how much Miriah knows that Corso thought she didn't. He really is the sort of husband one could run circles around if one felt like it.

@marissalf,

She’d endured moves to boycott everything from mouse droids (lambasted for always being underfoot) to the color yellow (no, really).

Tragically realistic :rolleyes: and eek, what a knife's edge Rissia was walking there.

@Selentar, I like the physical details of Andronikos' nervousness. And I love the moment of Xania's Force concentration when she lifts the droid.

@Striges, I liked the parable. The ending summary/moral is just right, at least for the Dark Side Sith/Light Side Jedi definitions you draw.

@Tatile, I felt bad when Rochester's physical therapist/basically a drill sergeant challenged him so mercilessly to get up and walk again. It's wrenching to see how hard he pushes himself alone. The healing process doesn't really get easier, not for a long time.

Edited by bright_ephemera

Prompt - Mea Culpa

Title - Rude with Politicians

Class - Bounty Hunter

Makeb Empire starting conversation spoilers

Dha walked down the sidewalk, his head inclined up to see the giant hologram of Darth Marr above the plaza. The military leader of the Empire hated making speeches, Dha knew, and he was only doing so due to the absence of the Emperor. Dha sneered; as far as he was concerned, the Emperor was dead, not away.

Several citizens stopped to watch the speech, but most continued on their way, ignoring it. One man even spit on the holoprojector, and an Imperial soldier stormed over to deal with him. Dha grinned under his T-visored helmet but moved on, ignoring the speech.

"Stand at attention, your ruler is speaking!" snapped a voice.

Dha turned. A man in a trim Imperial officer's uniform, escorted by two Special Forces soldiers, entered the plaza. The officer glared at the citizens around him.

"Anyone not paying respect to Lord Marr will be arrested!"

Most citizens were immediately on their knees or at least saluting. Dha ignored them and continued on. The officer saw him and stormed after, his SpecForce lackeys following. Dha didn't break stride; he pretended not to know that the officer was behind him, while in reality, he could see him perfectly from his helmet's 360-degree view. When the officer was within three feet, Dha abruptly whirled and froze. The officer, surprised, continued on and bounced off of Dha's chest.

"What?" Dha demanded.

"You did not bow or salute," the officer said, recovering from his shock.

"I'm not Imperial."

"All citizens in Kaas City must stop."

"I don't live here. I'm not a citizen."

The officer looked miffed. "You–"

"Goodbye," Dha said, and turned away.

Suddenly, one of the SpecForce officers grabbed his shoulder. Dha turned and rammed his fist into the man's chin. The man groaned and stumbled back. And then Dha turned and high-kicked the second soldier in the chest. That soldier dropped to the ground. The officer took a step back.

"You...you..."

"I'm a Mandalorian," Dha said. "Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade." Don't mess with Mandalorians.

"I...I'm sorry..." the officer stammered.

Dha activated his jetpack and roared away, leaving him behind.

How did this officer understand Mando'a? Who knows? :p

Defiance to the Empire: Risky, and yet so, so satisfying.

Now a short NotLP: New Paths for padawan Colran Niral, of the Jedi temple on Nar Shaddaa. Last time I mentioned him he was determinedly cutting off fellow padawan Xar. 400 words, no game spoilers.

"Colran. I've been called away to serve our efforts on Alderaan. You'll be coming with me." Master Zauvien conspicuously gauged Colran's reaction. "Whatever this trouble you won't talk about is, I hope that a change of scenery will do you good."

"I think it will, Master Zauvien." The Togruta hadn't been pleased at his reticence over what he couldn't help but dwell on, the social disaster as Xar and he started avoiding each other. Colran thought Zauvien had suspicions, but he couldn't do anything about that. He had done the right thing. He just didn’t want to talk about it.

A change of scenery would do him good.

"What are we going there to do?" asked Colran.

"I'm to offer Force healing against an unusual malady that one of the lords of House Alde suffers from. It sounds alarming, but our brother there believes my skills will serve."

"Healing." Colran had made one effort with Zauvien, once, on a damaged plant, to do an elementary Force healing. He had had some talent with it on Korriban; that talent had earned him a dubious popularity among the other students, especially those confident enough in their own threats to be sure Colran would never breathe a word of their weakness. With Zauvien he had instinctively called on the Dark Side, a rich flow to force the plant's tissues to knit back together; Zauvien had cut him off within seconds and returned him to far more elementary Force exercises. They had not discussed learning healing since.

“There will be much for you to do,” she said, and then gave him the cool smile that was her way of offering encouragement. “And much to learn.”

Colran ate with Gend and a couple of others that night; Xar was nowhere in sight, which made for the most anxious kind of relief he had ever felt. He stayed awake well into the night, wondering about Alderaan. Did they have a Temple like this there? Was he supposed to dress differently? Was Basic the language of choice with their Lords? What kind of nobility - or Force users - did they have, anyway? Would Xar spread rumors about him when he was gone? When would he see Gend and the others again?

Colran lay still beside the questions of the future and contemplated them until his sleep came.

Marissalf: Nice to see someone remind the lackeys that not everyone bows to the Emperor, or has to. How did the officer know Mando'a? Dha said "Mandalorian" and he probably froze up right about there, debating whether to let the guy go or call in reinforcements.

Bright: One thing the Jedi seem to be good at, and that's dealing with a problem by pretending it doesn't exist. Instead of showing Colran a different way to heal, Zauvien doesn't teach him at all. However, his jitters--what's going to happen, will I be out of place, what's going to happen while I'm gone--are so very human.

Double posting spam :o

Prompt: Hidden Talents

Character: Jurial (Jedi Sage), Qyzen, Tharan

Title: Demonstrating Knowledge

Occurs between Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine. Minor spoilers for Consular companion acquisition and for Qyzen’s companion quests. No spoilers for the main class story, not quite 1200 words.

“Jedi?” Doctor Cedrax begins.

I set down my study materials. The Doctor still seems uncomfortable in my company. His personality and chosen profession, as well as his unusual companion, make me wonder why he chose to come with me instead of stay on Nar Shaddaa. “Yes, Doctor?” I reply.

The Doctor takes my answer as an invitation to approach my meditation alcove. In truth, on this ship with space at a premium, the alcove is merely a narrow shelf in my quarters. It holds a Trandoshan votive figurine, a gift from Qyzen. The plain wall--bulkhead--behind displays a scroll inscribed with a passage from Master Odan-Urr’s writings, a gift from Master Yuon.

“Please, please, no formalities. Tharan! Just Tharan,” he says. “I was wondering, Jedi, since we have plenty of time before reaching our next port, if you might like to play a game. Just to pass the time, of course.”

“What kind of game, Doct--Tharan,” I ask. I am accustomed to addressing beings by their titles. It feels odd to be so familiar. But the Doctor is pleased.

He comes closer, “Nothing you’ll object to, just cards,” he says, removing a deck from his pocket, “Sabacc, to be precise. I’ve taken the liberty of setting up in the common room.”

He is concerned I think it frivolous or corrupting, but in truth I enjoy the game very much. “Sabacc--” I begin, but he interrupts.

“I’d be happy to teach you, Master Jedi,” he says with a bow, “It would be an honor.”

He does indeed wish to play, though the sense of motive I get is mixed. I do not know him well yet. I should tell him I already know the game. But somehow I think the teaching is part of what he wants. “If you wish, Tharan. I would be pleased to learn from you.” This is true. The rules may be the same, but everyone plays differently.

“Excellent!” The Doctor says, “This way, please,” he continues, with an exaggerated gesture toward the little hallway. I follow him to the dejarik table, which he has indeed repurposed for sabacc. Qyzen rests against the far wall, going over his maps and planning his next hunt. We sit, and the Doctor explains the basics of the game. Accurately. He glosses over the betting phase and how to claim the sabacc pot, but we will play for entertainment so it doesn’t much matter. “So,” he says, “are you ready to play?”

“Yes, but Tharan--” I answer. I try again mentioning that I know the game but the Doctor speaks before I can.

“Excellent,” he says, settling in, “Holiday can keep score.”

“Score?”

“Well, we can’t exactly play for credits, of course,” the Doctor says, “but Sabacc isn’t much fun without some kind of wager. I thought points would be an acceptable alternative. Say, one point in the hand pot and one point per hand for the sabacc pot? At the end, perhaps the loser might do a little favor for the winner?”

I do owe him for his help. He need not play for favors. “Tharan, if you need something just ask,” I say. Perhaps he is in trouble. It would explain why he was in such a hurry to leave Nar Shaddaa. Also his mixed motives.

“Oh, no, no, nothing like that,” the Doctor reassures me, “a friendly wager, that’s all. Between friends.”

The Doctor is really quite hard to read. Still, I don’t sense true deception from him. More...mischievous. A child taking an extra sweet and hoping the adults don’t notice. And I do enjoy the game. I don’t often find people to play with. “If you wish, then.”

The Doctor grins at me, “Yes, yes. Now, I hate to even suggest this, especially to such an honorable Jedi such as yourself...” he trails off.

Nervous, again. “Suggest what, Tharan?”

He shifts in his seat and smoothes his beard, “Well, sabacc is a game of strategy as much as chance. As a Jedi, you have certain natural, ah, advantages in that department,” he says, embarrassed.

Which, unfortunately, is why I rarely find people willing to play. I cannot turn off my Force sense like closing my eyes turns off my sight. But I can set it aside. In order to play fair. It is a different kind of focusing exercise. “Tharan, I would never use an unfair advantage in a friendly game.” I hope he believes me. Number-focusing exercises are a pleasant change from routine meditation.

He relaxes, “Of course not, of course not. I apologize for bringing it up,” he leans to the side and activates Holiday’s portable console, “Holiday, dear, are you ready? We are about to begin.”

The Doctor’s holographic companion materializes, “As ever, Tharan. And Jurial,” she says with a coquettish bow. “May the best player win!” she says.

I win the first hand, and the Doctor is pleased. He wins the second, and I begin to lose myself in the game. It has been long since I played, and it is a joy to face the challenge of a skilled opponent. The points are irrelevant. There are the numbers. The cards’ random shifting. Probabilities and strategy and randomness. I win, Tharan wins, we swap the sabacc points pot. It is for me a microcosm of life. However much one plans, things change. Things always change. The fluttering path of a leaf falling from a tree, its path determined by the random vagaries of gravity and the wind. There are equations to describe its motion, but seeing only the equations, one forgets its simple beauty.

The Doctor sets his cards down with the end of this hand. “Well, beginner’s luck certainly smiles on you, Master Jedi,” he begins, shocking my out of my reverie, “or perhaps the Force was with you.”

“I am sorry, Tharan, did you not enjoy the game?” I ask. I have, very much so. Perhaps more than it is proper under the circumstances.

“Enjoy?” the Doctor grumbles back, “Holiday, what’s the score?”

“Oh, he cleaned you out, Tharan,” she replies, “Fifty-seven to forty-two. And he took the sabacc pot twice,” she winks at me, “he’s very good with numbers.”

“Yes, I’ve noticed,” the Doctor grouses, standing, “I think I’m done for the time being. I have a headache.”

“Can I help?”

The Doctor waves me off, “No, no thank you, Master Jedi.” He retreats from the common room and I hear his step in the hallway, returning to the small room he has set up as a medbay.

Holiday giggles, “He owes you a favor now,” she says, “I think I’ll go remind him,” she winks at me again and dematerializes.

Qyzen sets down his maps. He has been studying the entire time. “Herald. Pleased to see you teach. Soft thing not pleased with lesson.”

“I’m sorry?” I ask. There are times when I find beings very confusing.

Qyzen hisses, a Trandoshan laugh, “Scorekeeper’s Herald appreciates challenge. Soft thing Doctor does not. Now he will. A good lesson for him I think.” One claw touches the scar on his face, the old injury, the one that claimed his eye.

I think perhaps I need to speak to Tharan.

Eee, Consular companions! And Jurial, trying not to enjoy it too much...it's bad to get the ego bound up in these things, at least if you're a Jedi.

A backwards NotLP: Defense for Wynston and Quinn in the Ruth-less timeline, some nineteen years after the class line ends. No game spoilers. 450 words.

The premise of Ruth-less:

After reluctantly working together in a galaxy-saving venture seventeen years after the class line, Wynston and Quinn find that they have just enough in common to team up in Wynston’s galactic-meddling organization. It doesn’t always go smoothly.

April, 30 ATC

“Quinn! I have good news!”

It would take a trained eye to detect the relief laced through Quinn’s businesslike manner as he turned away from a dewy-eyed cadet. “What is it?”

“With me.” Strategy talk was rarely too sensitive for this area of the Aegis, but Wynston found that some privacy was required to keep Quinn’s fan club out of the way.

He led Quinn to a conference room and shut the door. “So,” he said. “It’s looking like, matters in the sector being what they are, we’ll be throwing Balmorra to the Empire.”

Quinn arched an eyebrow. “Balmorra? I recommend obliterating it instead.”

Wynston stepped back. “That’s…strong.”

“I despise that planet.” Quinn spat his consonants as though his grudge extended to each and every one of them.

“I should think you’d like the place. You met your wife there, didn’t you?”

“After ten years of languishing with no prospects and insufficient bug repellent I was informed that I was to be placed at the mercy of Darth Baras’s favored apprentice there, yes. It was a less than salutary prospect.”

“Oh, right. Being subject to Ruth’s whims must have been terrible for you. We all know what a monster she was.”

“I didn’t know when the fangs were going to come out! All I knew in her favor was that she was our best chance at destroying our opponents on Balmorra.”

“How sentimental. Well, we’ll have to arrange it ourselves this time.”

“Burn it,” insisted Quinn. “Reduce it to glass and ash.”

“If you’ll recall the mission statement of this organization, Quinn, we generally try not to obliterate populated planets. Or any planets.”

“You’ve never written a mission statement.”

“Well, if I did, not obliterating planets would be high on the list. Look, we can arrange an orbital strike on the arms factory if that’s what you’re bitter about.”

Quinn scowled.

The Chiss tilted his head, eyes glittering speculatively. “She liked Balmorra, you know. I’ve never heard her speak so highly of a war zone before or since. All spillover glow from you, I suspect, but the fact remains, she loved her time there.”

Quinn wavered.

Wynston waited.

“We can leave Balmorra intact,” grumbled Quinn.

“That’s the spirit. Orders out, a little subtle manipulation here and there, Balmorra will be the Empire’s once again.”

“Don’t expect me to visit.”

“And here I was hoping to strand you in Sobrik once it was out of Republic hands.”

Sobrik is burning. That’s not optional.”

“You really are sentimental.”

“It’s nothing personal. It simply–”

“Is?” supplied Wynston. “Personal?”

“You have my recommendation,” snapped Quinn. “Make of it what you will.”

“I always do.”

Edited by bright_ephemera