day / night cycle?

Wizziokid

Can we expect to see on in the future, or would it just be too much work to add?

I feel it really adds to the atmosphere of an mmo when their is a day/night cycle, LOTRO is a great example, seeing the landscape change over the course of the day was a pretty awesome sight.

plus it add's the possibility to have day / night events e.g. night only mobs etc

would you like to see a day / night cycle in tor?

Actually i heard that the enviroment is fixed and will remain so, no weather cycle or day/night cycle, they chose this so they could set the mood

Personally im very dissapointed.

If this is being re-addressed post launch its news to me, welcome news though.

Edited by Purloin

I really only see the value in adding it if there are associated game mechanics that come with it. It's like weather - whilst (to take a singleplayer example) you couldn't really do Skyrim without blizzards etc., it actually feels less realistic because you can be out in a blizzard wearing underwear (or swim through a frozen sea) and the game doesn't care.

If day/night came with some actual use to it, by all means lets' have it. If all that happens is that the lights go down and a wolf howls, I just don't see that it's development time well spent. The next question would be what comes out at night on planets that isn't there in the day or vice versa :)

Well, they mostly come at night. Mostly.

Why? What's the point? Not suggesting you're wrong - rather I'd like to know why it's a desired feature, other than to tick a box that other games have it.

Edited by Grammarye

Actually i heard that the enviroment is fixed and will remain so ,no weather cycle or day/night cycle, they chose this so they could set the mood

I completely agree, 2011 and we can't get a day/night cycle? sure having a set time means you can set the mood but if you time it right the cycle could last hours so the users will still get to experience that 'mood' at some point.

no snow on hoth?

Actually i heard that the enviroment is fixed and will remain so, no weather cycle or day/night cycle, they chose this so they could set the mood

Sounds more like a lazy excuse to me. As right now environments are sterile and lifeless... there is no mood at all!

I hope it comes later on.

Its easy to do, and yes Id prefer having 40(ingame timecyc)hours of night on hoth and... 6 or whatever day(ingame timecyc)

And to those saying its "hard" go open up an editor of your choice, try set your own TOD cycles. Its easy as hell. Why? Cause you can set exactly how you want the "mood" to be at each and every hour. Unless heroengine is ****.

I can understand this for certain spots. I know Coruscant has a very specific mood stuck in persistent dusk. The huge sun looming there as you walk across the bridge for the first time. It does set a mood. If there were cycles, and depending on when you arrived, that mood could or could not be there.

Its a real hard choice for a design team to make.

Personally, on the outlaying worlds at least, a form of day/night, and weather cycles would greatly increase the overall atmosphere. I would gladly give up a specific constant 'mood' over a dynamically changing environment any day.

If they are so set on a specific mood, they could just turn it into a cutscene on first pass, instanced like. *shrug* Hard call.

Pre-launch, when the announcement for "fixed" time of day was first confirmed, I was one of the vocal folks about how I wanted it, and how the lack of it would ruin immersion.

Fast forward to now, post-launch.

While the addition of a day/night cycle would certainly be welcome and I'm sure I'd love it, I can honestly say that I overestimated its value both in terms of immersion and enhancing RP. If they decide to add it, great. But honestly up until this very moment, I had forgotten that it wasn't there. Too busy enjoying what is there.

Why? What's the point? Not suggesting you're wrong - rather I'd like to know why it's a desired feature, other than to tick a box that other games have it.

Why not remove gravity altogether, what's the point? Let us fly in the sky, shoot rainbows out of our ***.

Day/night cycles are part of the Star Wars multiverse, I'd like to see it represented in the game. Even though it has interstellar spacetravel at the speed of light, Star Wars doesn't throw basic physics in the bin.

It's rather hard to believe that every planet or moon in the game is tidally locked towards a star...

Edited by Dekadez

I hope it comes later on.

Its easy to do, and yes Id prefer having 40(ingame timecyc)hours of night on hoth and... 6 or whatever day(ingame timecyc)

And to those saying its "hard" go open up an editor of your choice, try set your own TOD cycles. Its easy as hell. Why? Cause you can set exactly how you want the "mood" to be at each and every hour. Unless heroengine is ****.

in a game that has been designed from the ground up without day and night cycles in mind. why would the developers program a function into the editor for day and night cycles.

also the developers are using a modified version of the hero engine. wether an editor has time of day function is not a measure that makes a game engine good or bad.

I want a functional shower in game so my character can shower daily. I can't start my questing before all the blood stain are clean up :p

I am pretty sure taking a shower is part of the SW universe too

/sarcasm off

in the SW universe they dont show. they take a sana steam.

Anyone that is making fun of the OP is sorely missing something VERY crucial to MMO.

Ambiance.

It helps create the feel, which in turn augments the game. If you ran through an open field, how different would that feel for you if you were hunting some big *** monster and it was night time and you heard howling the background.

Take that same situation, except now, it's 12pm but light outside and all you hear are birds chirping.

Seriously?

ARE WE FREAKING ASKING TOO MUCH IT'S 2011!

I want a functional shower in game so my character can shower daily. I can't start my questing before all the blood stain are clean up :p

I am pretty sure taking a shower is part of the SW universe too

/sarcasm off

You're comparing showers with something as fundamental as planetary rotations?

Come on now. You can't be that bad at trolling.

Personally I thought it was strange at first, but after playing a few planets I don't see the benefit of having a day/night cycle for most of the planets. You'll only spend a few hours on each of them and I'd rather have a set mood than a changing one. In example on Balmorra you have the feeling of a war zone but not overly dramatic since it's during the day. On Dromund Kaas the fact that it is always night time makes it more dramatic.

They could add weather but I wouldn't bother with day/night.

• 2 weeks later...
You're comparing showers with something as fundamental as planetary rotations?

Gliese 581g doesnt rotate

Im not to hot on my Star Wars Lore but which planets are specifically stated as having a Day/Night cycle?

Im assuming that all of these planets are not the exact same size so you could argue that movement speed should be different on each planet to accomodate the planets gravitational pull.

that said, it would be nice to have Day/Night cycle :p