Incompentence trumps cheating

Astarica

I was on my alt in the 10-49 bracket. I long suspected there was some kind of speed hack going on and on Voidstar, I saw the first door go down, the west bridge went down and the guy furthest along the door got to the west door, and yet there was this guy who stealthed up to the east door (without a bridge down). Even if the guy made the jump across the bridge he still should not have gotten to the east door ahead of the guy running visible to the west door.

But this post isn't about how cheating wins you games. We had a Sniper by the west door, but just as the enemy guy ran up to the west door, he rolled into cover to start shooting at every guy behind the frontmost enemy, allowing him an unopposed path to blow up the door, which makes the other guy with hacked speed useless because his bomb came after the west door was bombed.

I actually feel bad about the other team using a speed hack when they probably could've bombed all our doors if they just asked nicely. Why risk cheating and get caught against a team that never defended any of their doors to begin with?

If it was a shadow, he waited for sheild to drop on bridge, sprinted across bridge then went across middle to grab speed powerup then went to far door.

That's what I do every chance I get.

If it was a shadow, he waited for sheild to drop on bridge, sprinted across bridge then went across middle to grab speed powerup then went to far door.

That's what I do every chance I get.

yeah, I've done it on my shadow a couple of times and I barely use that character. I'd suspect someone who plays a shadow a lot has this up to perfection, especially since you can barely see the power-up underneath the ramp from the defender side (even if you try to it's often hard to tell when it's gone all of a sudden - and then it will be too late anyway. lol)

That's ok, I was in a voidstar where my whole team missed the force field go down at the start and got locked in while they were discussing strat. Needless to say, one guy jumping out and getting rolled by 8 didn't even slow them down. they had the bombs planted at the second set of doors before my team caught up. No hacks needed...lol

There's definitely some kind of speed hack out there. I've seen guys getting to the enemy natural turret in stealth at the same time as the enemy gets there, even though that spot is set up that with two equal speed character you'd barely even be able to interrupt the enemy from capping if you both head there in the shortest path, and no I've seen people run under the bunker visible and they still can't match the time the guy got while running stealthed. Going from your side -> underground -> speed upgrade is not faster than just taking the direct route because the extra distance you cover cancels out the speed bonus.

The enemy side later bombed the north door in the final stretch while only the westernmost shield was down, so again that'd involve a guy taking an improbably convoluted path he'd have to go all the way west and then back around to bomb the north door), and all this occured in something like 15 seconds after the first force field went down.

Though honestly the speed hacks wouldn't have mattered much in Voidstar if our defense was any good, and for that matter, it didn't matter because we were unable to even defend the start zerg left 1 stealth right to begin with.

That's ok, I was in a voidstar where my whole team missed the force field go down at the start and got locked in while they were discussing strat. Needless to say, one guy jumping out and getting rolled by 8 didn't even slow them down. they had the bombs planted at the second set of doors before my team caught up. No hacks needed...lol

Had the opposite of that in Alderraan. We capped middle/natural without seeing anybody on the other side, so we figure they must be all down in the undeground bunker trying to sneak attack our natural, so everyone went down there to intercept it but it just turned out the enemy took 20 seconds later than normal getting on the speeder, so they just walked down and capped middle back while encountering only one guy. I think we ended up winning that fight anyway but it was pretty hilarious to lose a turret because we assumed the other side had some kind of strat, but they really did not.

There's definitely some kind of speed hack out there. I've seen guys getting to the enemy natural turret in stealth at the same time as the enemy gets there, even though that spot is set up that with two equal speed character you'd barely even be able to interrupt the enemy from capping if you both head there in the shortest path, and no I've seen people run under the bunker visible and they still can't match the time the guy got while running stealthed. Going from your side -> underground -> speed upgrade is not faster than just taking the direct route because the extra distance you cover cancels out the speed bonus.

The enemy side later bombed the north door in the final stretch while only the westernmost shield was down, so again that'd involve a guy taking an improbably convoluted path he'd have to go all the way west and then back around to bomb the north door), and all this occured in something like 15 seconds after the first force field went down.

Though honestly the speed hacks wouldn't have mattered much in Voidstar if our defense was any good, and for that matter, it didn't matter because we were unable to even defend the start zerg left 1 stealth right to begin with.

heh, well, but this was about voidstar, not civil war :p

though yeah, it has happened to me before that I was on my shadow speeding up to the western turret and there was already some imp there in stealth, interrupting me as soon as I started capping (and they were right next to me, so no they didn't use a ranged skill that might have explained it). the funny thing is when this happens you're usually in a noob team (was pre-50) and everybody yells at you for not calling out. loltastic. really

Edited by amnie

Had the opposite of that in Alderraan. We capped middle/natural without seeing anybody on the other side, so we figure they must be all down in the undeground bunker trying to sneak attack our natural, so everyone went down there to intercept it but it just turned out the enemy took 20 seconds later than normal getting on the speeder, so they just walked down and capped middle back while encountering only one guy. I think we ended up winning that fight anyway but it was pretty hilarious to lose a turret because we assumed the other side had some kind of strat, but they really did not.

how do u know that wasnt their plan?

but no ive had a problem in voidstar where i enterd cover at the begining of the battle and i became stuck in it even after dieing yet ironicly i could use cover abilites nor could i re enter cover for nearly the entire match so anoying.

heh, well, but this was about voidstar, not civil war :p

though yeah, it has happened to me before that I was on my shadow speeding up to the western turret and there was already some imp there in stealth, interrupting me as soon as I started capping (and they were right next to me, so no they didn't use a ranged skill that might have explained it). the funny thing is when this happens you're usually in a noob team (was pre-50) and everybody yells at you for not calling out. loltastic. really

Not sure about beating a shadow there but i can interrupt a grass capper every time from Imp side thats with the last bit as stealth. I dont think i've encountered a shadow going grass out of the gate. It relies on a very quick click on the speeder and a force speed. The ~8sec cap time helps a lot in getting there in time.

Not sure about beating a shadow there but i can interrupt a grass capper every time from Imp side thats with the last bit as stealth. I dont think i've encountered a shadow going grass out of the gate. It relies on a very quick click on the speeder and a force speed. The ~8sec cap time helps a lot in getting there in time.

oh I know, but they were definitely there before me, they were behind the turret using force push (so they were a shadow aswell) and they interrupted me right away, not at the end

In Alderaan assuming two guys are equal class speed, the attacker heading to the enemy natural spot can often get there with around 1.0s or less left for the defender to finish capping. At this point the question of whether you succeed is a matter of how fast your reflexes are (click on the speeder inside transport) and some of it is positioning (if you don't give LoS to the attacker you usually can finish capping before he gets there). But under no circumstance will the attacker get to the defender BEFORE the defender even gets there. Even a normal speed class versus an Assassin with Force Speed + Marauder buff, the defender will still get there first.

but no ive had a problem in voidstar where i enterd cover at the begining of the battle and i became stuck in it even after dieing yet ironicly i could use cover abilites nor could i re enter cover for nearly the entire match so anoying.

This happens a fair amount as a sniper.....just use the crouch button couple times rather than the roll into cover one to un-stuck yourself....

*** is natural?

*** is natural?

from RTS games. When the game starts (such as starcraft) the minerals/gas closest to you is your "natural" base.

In this thread, it's being incorrectly used to describe the objective closest to each sides spawn. i.e. the grass turret being republics natural

If a carnage specced marauder pops his 80% speed boost as the first door blows up, and your team gets held up in any way, there's little chance you'll see that assasin/shadow at the front of their group before the 2nd doors go down.