The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ironfist vs NORSE

Ingenuus

Im newly 50 and loving the challenge of level 50 warzones. Yeah, some games suck, but it's a nice change from steamrolling folks in pre-50. I'm debating which of the two specs I should go for. I'm currently Ironfist and I LOVE the utility it offers. i can still shell out decent dps most games. When people on my server hear I'm Ironfist, they tell me it's not a good spec though, so I was curious as to whether or not I'm missing something.

If team support and utility are what I want to do (since I don't care about topping dps charts every game if I'm helping us win), should I keep Ironfist or am I missing stuff on NORSE that would make it better?

both specs are really only useful in huttball, given you can intercept the ball and leap to the line, however, the usefulness is far out weighed in the other wz's where a spec like 7/3/31 can burst multiple targets to death and still have great survivability. Basically if you want to make THE difference in the wz, instead of just being another name in the crowd, assault is what will do it for you.

Try them all there honestly is no "best pvp spec" it comes down to your play style don't believe in forum hype.

I run 8/31/2 with ion cell it fits me my dps is usually within the top 3 in my team and will usually have the highest protection score. Figure out what you want to bring to your team and build a spec around it.

Try them all there honestly is no "best pvp spec" it comes down to your play style don't believe in forum hype.

I run 8/31/2 with ion cell it fits me my dps is usually within the top 3 in my team and will usually have the highest protection score. Figure out what you want to bring to your team and build a spec around it.

I plan on trying a few out, but this point is sort of my question. Basically, utility/support/"doing the stuff people don't always like doing" IS my play style. I know that is Ironfist...is that NORSE at all?

I plan on trying a few out, but this point is sort of my question. Basically, utility/support/"doing the stuff people don't always like doing" IS my play style. I know that is Ironfist...is that NORSE at all?

Iron fist is a great support/utility build.

Norse runs high energy cell for max dps/mobility/ammo regen you lose your ability to gaurd people unless you stop and swap cells.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0hZrkrrRrdzbsZb.1 (norse)

I run this build

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GMoZMsrrobfkdsZb.1

my build vs norse

norse build

+mobility

+dps

+ammo regen

My build

+ on demand snare

+ ion cell (gaurd)

+ intial higher dps burst

My build vs Iron fist

Iron fist

+ storm (best gap closer we have)

+ammo regen

+ survivability

My build

+overall dps

+on demand snare

+decimate crowds

storm vs hold the line

I ran iron fist for some time there are instances where i do miss it, however overall I find hold the line more useful in overall situations.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zdrml3.jpg

~ NORSE

since i am guessing you are norse based on the screenie, what can you tell me about the utility/support it offers? i see your protection is low on this, is that bc you dps in HE cell? what can you tell me about it besides the "ZOMGDPS" that i hear a lot?

since i am guessing you are norse based on the screenie, what can you tell me about the utility/support it offers? i see your protection is low on this, is that bc you dps in HE cell? what can you tell me about it besides the "ZOMGDPS" that i hear a lot?

ok that was cuz i forgot my taunts =p; my bad. so basicaly its great for focusing down with a guildy, and aligning AOEs. HTL is my favorite skill, its usefulness is unbeleivable. at first i was like what will i do w/o jump but thats totaly in the past. I score w/e we need me to. It's in combat speed buff is helpful aswell. I run with a power adrenal and relic. Best combo iv tried.

Overall its a "team" build

Yeah when you stack heavy with power and hit your Aoe's with tactics it obliterates groups of people.

pop power adrenal/relic < motor volley < aoe stun < pulse cannon (5 stack) < spam ES until your out of ammo.

Any one standing near a node is most likely dead or dam close. The highest I have seen pulse cannon crit was 2kish per tick.

http://i47.tinypic.com/rcqe.jpg 7/3/31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXvtJNKu70 me playing the spec

I could post a screen shot of me having the highest wz overall damage, but i play to win,

The support role you guys speak of, its very over rated when you are talking about specs, a assualt vanguard can support just as well as the other specs.

Edited by Goldenboyy

The support role you guys speak of, its very over rated when you are talking about specs, a assualt vanguard can support just as well as the other specs.

Running an Ironfist with dps gear gets me top of dmg charts and enables me to guard whoever is getting focus fired. Guard plus taunt means you make 1 person nearly impossible to kill. I don't see you guys switching to ion cell in middle of fight to guard someone.

switched to NORSE this morning and have played around 10 games so far. i am going to give it some time so i can get used to it, but i feel extremely squishy if i am being honest. im worried it may be my gear. i got combat tech (5/5) since that is what ironfist (my old spec) uses. is that the same for NORSE?

Running an Ironfist with dps gear gets me top of dmg charts and enables me to guard whoever is getting focus fired. Guard plus taunt means you make 1 person nearly impossible to kill. I don't see you guys switching to ion cell in middle of fight to guard someone.

that was my experience too. to be very honest, a big indicator of whether or not i get top 3 dmg is whether or not i am in a coordinated group with healers or not. i am guildless, so i PuG for the most part (and run some stuff with a few pvp minded folks on my server), so i wonder if a more tank type spec may be best for me since i am mostly rolling solo.

that was my experience too. to be very honest, a big indicator of whether or not i get top 3 dmg is whether or not i am in a coordinated group with healers or not. i am guildless, so i PuG for the most part (and run some stuff with a few pvp minded folks on my server), so i wonder if a more tank type spec may be best for me since i am mostly rolling solo.

Last time I tried all the flavor specs I eventually just settled back to what was best for my play style. I tend to think I'm tougher than I really am so I rush into big groups. IF tends to keep me alive more. Trying NORSE today though so I can give educated feedback on it.

Last time I tried all the flavor specs I eventually just settled back to what was best for my play style. I tend to think I'm tougher than I really am so I rush into big groups. IF tends to keep me alive more. Trying NORSE today though so I can give educated feedback on it.

i will readily say that NORSE is pretty fun though...esp when you get your 5 stack PC off lol. i am going to give it some time too and see how i like it.

switched to NORSE this morning and have played around 10 games so far. i am going to give it some time so i can get used to it, but i feel extremely squishy if i am being honest. im worried it may be my gear. i got combat tech (5/5) since that is what ironfist (my old spec) uses. is that the same for NORSE?

You are wearing the correct gear, you feel squishy because your used to being a tank. I always run with healers for a reason. Are you Biochem?

You are wearing the correct gear, you feel squishy because your used to being a tank. I always run with healers for a reason. Are you Biochem?

Nope...been thinking about it though. You recommend it?

Lol, i just saw a screenshot over in the pvp forum, where a assault spec pulled one million.

Was playing with assault last night instead. Fun spec and super high dmg. I'm two pieces away from full WH and I can melt through people now. I'm starting to like it.

Not a fan of the Norse build. Main problem is that the slow effect is not working for PG. Against bad players that keyboard turn and back peddle Norse will do well but, against good players the other two specs are just better.

Iron fist gives you tons of utility with being able to stun with grappling hook and stealth scan. You can carry the ball in hutt ball and guard healers. Plus storm is one of the best abilities for a vanguard. You want to use all dps gear. This will keep your dps very high and when combine with all the stuns and interrupts you will be a pain for any class that depends on abilities with a cast time. This spec shines best when you guard and work together with a good healer.

Assault gives you the best dps. The range dps is also very good even at 30 meters. HIB unlike PG can be used right away without building up stacks. You also don't need to be standing still for 3 seconds up close to use it. Players can also easily stun you if they see you using Pulse Generator and thus causing you to waste your 5 stacks. No such problems with HIB. Full assault has been proven to be better dps than any tactics build. The norse build isn't even the highest dps spec for tactics.

Not saying Norse is a bad spec because Hold the Line is definitely a great ability but, they really need to fix the slow effect on PG for it to be at least come close to the other two specs. Even then I don't see how it can be better.

the usefulness is far out weighed in the other wz's where a spec like 7/3/31 can burst multiple targets to death and still have great survivability. Basically if you want to make THE difference in the wz, instead of just being another name in the crowd, assault is what will do it for you.

lold hard...

great survivability, haha, troll.

Assault = glass cannon all the way.

Edited by Husofanten

Not a fan of the Norse build. Main problem is that the slow effect is not working for PG. Against bad players that keyboard turn and back peddle Norse will do well but, against good players the other two specs are just better.

Iron fist gives you tons of utility with being able to stun with grappling hook and stealth scan. You can carry the ball in hutt ball and guard healers. Plus storm is one of the best abilities for a vanguard. You want to use all dps gear. This will keep your dps very high and when combine with all the stuns and interrupts you will be a pain for any class that depends on abilities with a cast time. This spec shines best when you guard and work together with a good healer.

Assault gives you the best dps. The range dps is also very good even at 30 meters. HIB unlike PG can be used right away without building up stacks. You also don't need to be standing still for 3 seconds up close to use it. Players can also easily stun you if they see you using Pulse Generator and thus causing you to waste your 5 stacks. No such problems with HIB. Full assault has been proven to be better dps than any tactics build. The norse build isn't even the highest dps spec for tactics.

Not saying Norse is a bad spec because Hold the Line is definitely a great ability but, they really need to fix the slow effect on PG for it to be at least come close to the other two specs. Even then I don't see how it can be better.

Well, i thought i would miss storm ; i dont, at all. In fact i die less and HtL has got me countless scores in huttball it allows me to grab ball and pass to friend in position with no worry of stunlocks (because they fill my resolve) or knockbacks. Full assault is well, pyro. It is lame and everyone uses it. I can beat them in a 1v1 although id rather not fight them, its pointless.

The survivability of norse is far greater, I can also MAINTAIN my damage output throughout the fight no matter how long due to no HiB in the rotation. I use a power adrenal, when i pop this i have 5 stacks and it goes: sticky grenade (crits all for 3.2+ as high as 4.1 before) followed by mortar volley (the damage has been sporadic with this but ive seen as high as 2.1 and as low as 1100 per tick(lots of ticks)) and then Pulse cannon. If its a single target : FP, SS,Sticky, IP-IP-IP etc.

I love the build it works great with my play style and how my guild group AoE's. btw to the person who saw my screenshot; i dont have much WH yet, only two peices (too many alts).