The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can I get Some Vanguard DPS help?

Hi Folks,

I'm very confused as to what setup I should be using for DPS PVP vanguard and DPS PVE Vanguard...can anyone shed some light on which armor setup is best for both types of combat (I'm using combat tech armor right now for PVP, not sure what to use for PVE set)? I'm running an assualt specced vanguard at the moment, is this a good setup for DPS in both PVP and PVE?

Thanks!

If it's not too late I would change to the eliminator set in PVP (4pc Bonus is 15% crit increase on HIB). You use twice as many HIBs as you use SSs, and your HIBs are augmented by 90% armor penetration and +30% crit damage. Having +15% crit chance on them is highly desirable.

My assault spec is in my sig.

Hi Mike,

Assault is definitely a great DPS class, for either PvP or PvE. You can fine tune the tree to maximize one or the other, but you'll find a lot of builds that do just fine for both.

For PvP gearing: I'll agree with Heth, in general. There is an alternative you can try with Battlemaster gear: the PvE Combat Tech equipment has a 4-piece set bonus of 8% more damage from HiB, plus cooldown reduction on Battle Focus, which gives you 25% bonus to crit. So you can pull the mods out of your eliminator pieces and put them in 4 cheap PvE pieces (tionese or columi) to get those bonuses while benefitting from the expertise of the BM mods.

For PvE: Go with the Combat Tech equipment. The set bonuses are awesome from those pieces.

Hi Mike,

Assault is definitely a great DPS class, for either PvP or PvE. You can fine tune the tree to maximize one or the other, but you'll find a lot of builds that do just fine for both.

For PvP gearing: I'll agree with Heth, in general. There is an alternative you can try with Battlemaster gear: the PvE Combat Tech equipment has a 4-piece set bonus of 8% more damage from HiB, plus cooldown reduction on Battle Focus, which gives you 25% bonus to crit. So you can pull the mods out of your eliminator pieces and put them in 4 cheap PvE pieces (tionese or columi) to get those bonuses while benefitting from the expertise of the BM mods.

For PvE: Go with the Combat Tech equipment. The set bonuses are awesome from those pieces.

This is very helpful, thanks MatticusFinch!

15% crit it still better then 8% more damage.

You will most likely have around 30% base crit, + the 15% from the set bonus which means your likely to crit more often then not.

70%+ damage every 2/3 hits (if your unlucky) is much better then an 8% increase every hit.

Fair enough, if your 8% increase hits it will crit more, but the 15% crit is still the better choice since you will most likely HIB > SS > Ion Pulse > HIB .. if they both crit thats pretty much almost a dead player..

15% crit it still better then 8% more damage.

You will most likely have around 30% base crit, + the 15% from the set bonus which means your likely to crit more often then not.

70%+ damage every 2/3 hits (if your unlucky) is much better then an 8% increase every hit.

Fair enough, if your 8% increase hits it will crit more, but the 15% crit is still the better choice since you will most likely HIB > SS > Ion Pulse > HIB .. if they both crit thats pretty much almost a dead player..

Let's check this with a simple number crunch: let's assume the standard damage of HiB after all factors are included is 2500 with a base crit chance of 30%. From here, you can determine that your AVERAGE HiB impacts for the two different set bonuses will be equal (~3200) when surge is between 63-64%. At higher surge ratings, the Eliminator damage is higher; below, the PvE Combat Tech damage is higher. However, it is worth noting that at 80% surge, your AVERAGE HiB damage with Eliminator for these values is 3400 compared against a very slightly lower 3350 for PvE Combat Tech. Keep in mind, these are probabilistic figures and are likely to vary due to chance.

Therefore, the reason I enjoy the Combat Tech PvE equipment is because it's guaranteed damage every time and doesn't depend on favorable statistics to do the damage. You also don't lose out on a 2-piece set bonus as you do with the Eliminator, which adds to your crit chance further. You really maximize the PvE Combat Tech set when using Battle Focus on cooldown, to get the extra uses per match afforded by the shorter cooldown.

Conclusion: In terms of truly statistical damage, it's really a wash between the two. Pick the one that you think looks cooler. :)