The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My view from the trenches: We are at a crossroads

amadcow

I share the overall feeling that something big needs to happen soon-ish and I don't simply mean server merges..its almost too late for that one :(

So its Friday, past 5pm here in Germany...usually a good time to play and stuff and looking at EU server list, it shows 3(!) standart servers...everything else is light.

I do want to love this game and so far me and wife keep paying the sub but it is very irritating to watch people leave while not seeing any big change on the horizon.

Sure, theres LFG thingie - that would have been great in January. Also, server merges/char transfers...all that is nice in the sense of fixing things that shouldnt be broken in the first place. I just wonder if they have ANY ace in their sleeve and if so, how long they want to wait until they talk about it...

I'm GM of a wonderful guild on Darth Bandon (empire, Passion and Power). Our server still has 50+ people in the fleet during prime time. PvP pops on a fairly regular basis, so I would consider my experience somewhat optimal given the current state of the game. My guild has, in theory over 400 members, but in reality about 10-15 logins on any given evening. Many guilds on our server are disappearing or consolidating (we're trying to recruit smaller guilds to come raid with us). Having said all of that, here is what I see:

We are at a crossroads where this game that I do love can either rebound or fade away and BioWare needs to respond quickly to address these issues or the 'fade away' option is a much greater reality. Therefore, this is what I hope to see in the very near future:

Server population - Low population servers need to be turned off. This will save BioWare a LOT of money. More importantly, moving players from low population servers will increase EVERYONE's enjoyment of the game. I would hope that in the next two weeks, that the server list is cut in half. The players that are on low population servers, should be given a week to decide which server to move to from the high population list. If the player doesn't move, then those characters are stored in a 'holding server' and MUST be moved to a new server the next time the player wants to play. These actions would prop up the game until more content can be delivered.

Content in 1.4 - BioWare needs to follow up the 1.3 patch with a 1.2 level content patch in version 1.4. Additionally that content should focus on expanding the end game experience.

Events - The Rakghoul plague event was excellent. People were involved and it encouraged excitement in the game. We need more.

Story!!! - The key to SWtOR is it's story. PERIOD We need another chapter (not more levels, but more story). The chapter can build on legacy and your impact on the SW universe.

Therefore, my bottom line is a 2-month window of optimism. BioWare needs to deliver on most of the above points with a strong path forward in the next 2 months, or I firmly believe that our player base will continue to decline. If BW quickly addresses the issues above (especially 1 and 2), then I hold out some hope for continued enjoyment in SWtOR.

We are going to get more story. Just be patient. There is no doubt on that. I agree the next patch should focus on endgame. I think most people would agree.

As for the server merges, well I just don't think it will happen in 2 weeks. I don't understand people these days. Why the rush? For $15 a month, many of us could play several games as long as we have a responsible budget.

Edited by Dawgtide

We are going to get more story. Just be patient. There is no doubt on that. I agree the next patch should focus on endgame. I think most people would agree.

As for the server merges, well I just don't think it will happen in 2 weeks. I don't understand people these days. Why the rush? For $15 a month, many of us could play several games as long as we have a responsible budget.

I think people feel some sense of urgency because things are not stable and could improve but seem to go downhill fast. To me it looks a bit like self-fullfilling prophecy...majorty of articles I read on half a dozen gaming sites are negative (people leaving, lack of endgame etc). I would not be surprised if that already has potential new players shy away in the first place. Which in turn, further reduces the number of players (by not bringing enough new ones in to replace those that quit)...and that could lead to the next article like "SWTOR now under 1m subs" etc etc

Cool that it's still working for you, on your server.

I think we're already on the other side (the BAD! side) of the crossroads for many people, on many servers.

Or, if that is an incorrect comparison, how about we have already taken the wrong road from the crossroads on many servers.

No, that doesn't sound quite right....

We've come a long way baby?

No.

Wait, wait... we can't get back to where we want to be, on many servers.

No, darn it...

Break on through... to the other side?!

Arghhh, I dunno.

You're very lucky that you feel like you can enjoy the game and not be bothered by BiowarEAs speed. But please don't tell me to be patient again. I'm not your child, I'm a customer. It's not about the $15...I don't think I've seen one person mention the cost of the sub as a reason they were quitting...it's the utter lack of ANYTHING from freaking Bioware. They're arrogance and silence HAVE an impact. Silence breeds discontent!

I don't give a **edit** that it's delayed or not ready or taking longer than expected, but I have a guild and a server that is disappearing before my eyes and a simple **edit**ing estimate would help me save some of what's left.

The "rush" is that I LIKE the people I play with...but some of them will move on and never come back. Once I leave, I'll never come back. That's just how this MMO thing works...TIME MATTERS!

"There is a great disturbance in the Force."

The rumor is the reason transfers haven't happened yet is because they are waiting until this mega server move mentioned in an interview. The community is uneasy and needs stablity that can only happen after they see steady population again. We know 1.3 is coming but people are kinda of in limbo right now until then. They don't want to make new characters or level old ones because they don't know how transfers are going to happen.

It would be helpful if the devs would tell us more about transfer.

Server mergers within a month. To mega servers --NOW! only thing that will reverse it. Xroads was 1.2 for everyone. those on the edge have at this point largely made their decision only server merges can save the game and change the minds of those who will, or have already , esentially left. As far as accounts it is a story of builling cycles. i will be counted but I am not really playing.

Illidan on WOW is heaviest server with over 20k fatman is 6 K more or less, Every server needs to be merged by at least 6 k to server.

I get where you're coming from OP. I can tell your passion for the game through the way you wrote the text.

But... I honestly believe its too late, mate. Like someone else mentioned, update 1.2 was the most crucial update this game would ever have. It was the do or die patch. And it failed. EA and BW saw that. They recognized the writting on the wall and have basically let go of their dream of a major MMO ruling the roost for years to come.

The game reminds me of a wet fused fire-cracker. You can keep lighting that wet fuse and all its going to do is fizzle out.

This game has seen its best days. Its down hill from here on out.

A month ago (even after 1.2) I would have strongly disagreed with this sentiment. However, over the last few weeks its become readily apparent that this guy is right. It's sad, I so don't want it to be true but it's undeniable at this juncture.

I do think the game will go on, perhaps for years but in a greatly reduced capacity than was seen in the first few months. Probably less than 100K hardcore survivors on a handful of servers.

What SWTOR Needs to turn this ship around;

•  
  • World PvP (at least 1 zone)

<snip>

We do have an Open World PVP Zone, 2 of them infact. People don't use it because it requires thinking and people want Bioware to implement systems to do the thinking for them.

Edited by AFKGCWBOT

We do have an Open World PVP Zone, 2 of them infact. People don't use it because it requires thinking and people want Bioware to implement systems to do the thinking for them.

No. People don't use it because there's no incentive to.

PvEers are compensated for their time with 'stuff'.

WZers are compensated for their time with 'stuff'.

MMOs are about collecting and acquiring more 'stuff'.

'Stuff' motivates activity.

Remove 'stuff' from EV, KP and EC and see how fast those instances die. Remove the Operation missions from the little mail box and see how many people give a **edit** about them. Remove ALL incentive from ANY PvE activity and see how fast it dies as well. People like to be compensated for their time doing an activity in games. PvPers are no different.

You're very lucky that you feel like you can enjoy the game and not be bothered by BiowarEAs speed. But please don't tell me to be patient again. I'm not your child, I'm a customer. It's not about the $15...I don't think I've seen one person mention the cost of the sub as a reason they were quitting...it's the utter lack of ANYTHING from freaking Bioware. They're arrogance and silence HAVE an impact. Silence breeds discontent!

I don't give a **edit** that it's delayed or not ready or taking longer than expected, but I have a guild and a server that is disappearing before my eyes and a simple **edit**ing estimate would help me save some of what's left.

The "rush" is that I LIKE the people I play with...but some of them will move on and never come back. Once I leave, I'll never come back. That's just how this MMO thing works...TIME MATTERS!

Didn't say you were a child. Any person whether 10 or 80 can be patient. Life is too short to get upset.

And as for time mattering, it is relative. Yes time matters if you expect your same guild to play together for a long time. No doubt about that.

I played EQ for 8 years, so I do know a thing about an MMO. I didn't play with the same people the whole time though. People come and go and time did not kill the game for me. Kind of like real life when coworkers come and go from our work place. You miss them but the job is still there.

Let's just hope we don't have our family come and go. That is what is really important.

Edited by Dawgtide

Server population...

Content in 1.4 - BioWare needs to follow up the 1.3 patch with a 1.2 level content patch in version 1.4. Additionally that content should focus on expanding the end game experience.

Events - The Rakghoul plague event was excellent. People were involved and it encouraged excitement in the game. We need more.

Story!!! - The key to SWtOR is it's story. PERIOD We need another chapter (not more levels, but more story). The chapter can build on legacy and your impact on the SW universe.

SWtOR.

Fixing population issues will help. Agreed. I generally can't find a single other person to do heroics with. Waiting for WZs on my server is lame. My time is too important to spend waiting. I just hit 50 on my Jedi Guardian, and if hard modes and operations don't turn out to be exciting to me, I'll be moving on.

A new content patch will always be appreciated. Personally, I didn't think the Legacy update would add much that I would care about, but it did. I'm excited to get some of the unlocks and finish companion story lines because of it.

Events: Yes, the Rakghoul plague event was sorta fun. It got people in the same areas in force, but events are just a distraction to the game lacking other elements that are truly fun. Some serious thought needs to go into how to take advantage of the massively multiplayer part of this game. Whereever I just read that it's called Star WARS... the story refers to the war and tensions, but there's little evidence outside of that. I don't think the event even included the PvP zone(s) on Tatooine. An event is like a good donut - it's awesome while you're eating it, but then it's gone. They have their place, but events won't make this game truly fun to me.

More story as a solution to saving this game... I disagree completely. I don't see how another chapter will do anything to solve game issues. Players will tear thru the story in 5 days, and then what? We'll be right back to where we are now: wanting more interaction, wanting more war, wanting more interesting challenges, etc.

More story as a solution to saving this game... I disagree completely. I don't see how another chapter will do anything to solve game issues. Players will tear thru the story in 5 days, and then what? We'll be right back to where we are now: wanting more interaction, wanting more war, wanting more interesting challenges, etc.

See, I don't view a new chapter as a 5-day tear through. I see it as almost as long as it took you to finish leveling to this point. A new chapter should integrate more war, more interaction, and more interesting challenges. If done creatively, a new chapter would require you to explore, do open world pvp, and give you a jumping off point to build more upon.

Now, I don't think that they can deliver on that in two months, but BW can give us a vision for what a new chapter might look like in that time.

The keys to my original post was to point out that BW needs to act quickly. They have missed opportunities in the past, but we are reaching a final tipping point and unless something changes fairly fast, the game will be lost for many more than it already has claimed.

GM of Can't Fix Lightning, server Darth Bandon

I can completely agree with your sentiments regarding the current state of the game, and want to assure you that you are not alone on those feelings within the same server. We have noticed roughly the same, but have some wonderful dedicated players to help bolster things out within our guild. The sad part is...outside of our weekly operation times, we get bored grinding dailys. PvP just hasn't been the same for a while now, in my own personal "I hate pvp" to begin with opinion. (But I'm a biggot like that)

Keep your chin up, we haven't died yet and just need to keep going on as the game develops into what we know it can be. And as people seem to forget...content leaks included through 1.5. How much did they have done before any staff layoffs?