Compare Lotro VS Swtor.

Wardrope

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lorto has a lot of what id love to see in Swtor. the graphics are amazing on Lotro from the water to the snow. Come if Lotro can do it then BW should be able to it just as good. The housing would be simple on swtor if they did it like lortro. I did see that Lortro has done better going F2P and I dont mind microshops at all. An the next Lotro exp coming out you can fight while mounted 'sweet'

ok, in before it gets closed

What do u thing guys?

As far till now , i can say Lotro is completly Setup MMo than Swtor..

i wait for opinions..

Are you unable to form your own opinion?

Two different types of MMO. Two different ages of development. Thus can not equally compare the two.

Edited by Ujest

LOTRO: While I loved the game setting and scenery, I hated everything else about it. The only thing that kept me around, at least until about a month after hitting max level, were the friends I had made. Played it for about 3 months.

Been here since July 2011 (Beta) and still enjoying it.

Dogs compared to Cats... film at 11.

Nah they are very similar.

LOTRO does somethings better, and SWTOR does other better.

Both could do with incorporating the others strengths and getting rid of their weaknesses.

I am LOTRO Founder and have lifetime subscription. Did not log there for a year now... never could get my main to max level.

Game is boring, and I am LOTR fan... have all books, all expanded dvds, even posters on walls.

Yes the scenery is nice... mostly, but characters are horrible. There is not a one VO in this game and the NPCs faces are remade photos... very disappointing from RP point of view.

Animations are horrible... quests blah blah blah... never really read them to the end.... leveling is an endless grind...

SWTOR - I have so much more fun here. Definitely SWTOR is a winner.

Edited by Evensong

I'm still subbed to LOTRO. I doubt I'll resub here again. LOTRO is older but Turbine is upgreding some things, slowly lol

LOTRO just has something that keeps me there, I love to explore, fish and what's better than killing orcs? lol

I wish Turbine would revamp it completely to bring some things up to date.

I played lotro for years, it's a good game. They have lots of great free-content patches with tons of new stuff each patch. But the patches were lop-sided. Sometimes you got a rep-grind daily-quest area that's really cool, but that's all you get new for 4 months. Other times, you get a new raid but nothing new for fellowship size or smaller. Other times the book update changes the game to make it much more about skirmishes and grinding. It changes patch to patch.

Lotro has a lot of good systems too, like the music system is amazing. I love being able to pick up an instrument whether I'm a minstrel or not and play Metallica songs or even something I wrote myself. I love the family system more than the legacy system because I was the daughter of a guild-mate and got a title naming who I was the daughter of.

The combat in Lotro is pretty good too. The animations aren't that great, and the sound effects aren't to the level of TOR, but it's still a really good game. They really take care designing the enviornment too. It feels like middle earth. Here's a music video I made showing my adventures in the game:

By contrast, TOR you know. It's got better story, better combat, and I would dare say better raiding. Here's a music video I made about my adventures in swtor:

Lorto has a lot of what id love to see in Swtor. the graphics are amazing on Lotro from the water to the snow. Come if Lotro can do it then BW should be able to it just as good. The housing would be simple on swtor if they did it like lortro. I did see that Lortro has done better going F2P and I dont mind microshops at all. An the next Lotro exp coming out you can fight while mounted 'sweet'

ok, in before it gets closed

SWTOR is a lot like LoTRO was 6 months after launch (I am a Founder member there), apart from the graphics, LoTRO was limited in content back then, a lot has been added n the last 5 years.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

It is hard to compare the two. I love the LOTR setting, and since I read the books every second year, and have been a gamemaster of the pen & paper RPG (I guess all versions) for alot of years, I know the world geographically and culturally, not to mention it's history through the worlds three ages and beyond.

I have also been a GM for the SW RPG, and I dare say that I know quite a bit about all the different planets and it's inhabitants as well.

When comparing the Worlds, I would say that LOTRO hits the mark very well. Turbine have gone to great lenghts to recreate Middle Earth with beautiful graphics and sounds. BW made an OK attempt I guess, but I feel boxed in. Parts of the planets look very nice though.

Questing is quite a bit different. LOTRO have voice acting for all the Epic Quests - wich could be compared to the Esseles or Black Talon FP - but with alot more immersion, and there are alot of them and each one creates your personal version of the ringtale where you perform heroics in the footsteps of the fellowship of the ring. The rest of the thousands of quests are text only, but compared to other MMO, LOTRO have really verbose text with great descriptions - meaning that you will have to like to read to get the most out of the game. Many cannot be bothered with that and want arrows pointing directly to the quest location, and even better would be instant teleportation and obvious questing goals - and those do not stay with the game for very long. TOR have voice acting on all quests, making it alot easier for many to immerse themselves in the game, and there are arrows pointing :)

Soundscape in LOTRO, including music, is without competition, no matter what MMO you compare to.

PVP in LOTRO is different, as you can choose to play either your high leveled Free peoples character, or as a monster that you create exclusively for PVP. It is really fun.

Visually, LOTRO have an enormous variation in how the characters look, as all equipment can be worn in cosmetic slots, and all armor can be dyed in dozens of different colors - so no competition here either.

LOTRO have been around for far longer than TOR, so it is only natural that LOTRO have alot more content.

Although, LOTRO have alot fewer servers, the ones they have feels alive and kicking, the community is stellar, and the game is now free to play with microtransactions (wich do not bother me the least) with an option to subscribe.

If one likes the RP aspect of the MMORPG world, and I do, LOTRO wins hands down, as that game really caters for those players with both content and gamesystems (f.x. the musical instrument system which allows a player to actually play music live in the game - and also sync the performance with other players.)

I hope TOR catches up - and I look forward to what BW will do with this game, which I think is really fun.

LotrO has beautiful graphics that don't necessarily require a really good computer to run the graphics decently. Visually, the game looks really really good.

Also, it does a good job of implementing lore, allowing you to follow the Lord of the Rings storyline from the three books: It engages the player greatly that way, allowing you to follow the Fellowship's footsteps and fight alongside familiar characters like Aragorn and Legolas.

Lore was a huge driving factor in LotrO and part of why it was really successful, but players that rush to endgame and don't enjoy the journey or don't care about the lore, won't be able to see it.

Unfortunately, they are bound to lore, so as a result, you can feel burned out at higher levels (This happened around Mines of Moria, which had an amazing opening song by the way!) because 90% of the enemies consisted of just orcs and goblins. After a long time in Moria, I was a little disappointed to find nothing but orcs and more orcs in Lothlorien, but I suppose that's the lore limitation.

Also, the community in LotrO is amazing. All the negative people are playing World of Warcraft, or another MMO. LotrO has a dedicated following, with a kind community.

This was a interesting thread so i figured i'd necro it.

As a 8 year vet of SWG that played Lotro while I waiting for TOR.

Lotro is a far supieror game than TOR. Yet I got into Lotro after 4 expansions, new servers, new classes, after F2P.

So while Lotro is a far better game i'll stick it out here i got faith.

Swtor will come into it's own just as Lotro has. I think without F2p, but will see.

The sad fact of the matter is SWG was the! End All Be All of star wars games for fans and look what SOE did.

-hologrinder

Many of the vocal members of this community would not put up with LOTRO's LFG tool. ability delay.. animations.. or turbines business model.

or raiding

or gear progrssion

or legacy system

it is it's own flavour of theme park model of which WoW, SWTOR and LoTRO are all flavours of.

Edited by corbanite

Well I have two lifetime subs in lotro and am a founder.

I find this thread a hard one to answer, but I have to say that LOTRO takes it by quite a margin.

IMO lotro has far superior graphics, a fantastic community, a great epic story, the advanced classes are great to play ( may favorite is Warden, takes quite a bit of skill and thought to play properly).

LOTRO has also incorporated many traditional MMORPG elements Player Housing (I wish it as more free form decorating options though), integrated voice chat (a very nice feature)

Anyway after playing SWTOR since launch, I went back to LOTRO, it's a great game I have to say.

Many of the vocal members of this community would not put up with LOTRO's LFG tool. ability delay.. animations.. or turbines business model.

or raiding

or gear progrssion

or legacy system

it is it's own flavour of theme park model of which WoW, SWTOR and LoTRO are all flavours of.

LOTRO certainly isn't perfect (and the F2P model isn't, even if it's one of the best F2P systems I've seen).

However it's mostly done it's stuff reasonably well.

But where it really excelled is in its attention to detail (baring Bree and the number of elves running about it) they've created a pretty good middle-earth.

Good enough that LOTRO works pretty well as a single player game, as well as an MMO, and still has some of the best small group content around.

SWTOR could certainly stand to learn a few thing about its world design, although LOTRO could certainly stand to learn a few things from SWTOR.

Edited by Goretzu

I played LOTRO when it went F2P, bought all the expansions and played for a good few months. Just like everyone is saying, scenery was amazing, a real depth to lore, great instances, but I never continued with it. Why? I really don't know, it was one of the few themepark games that I've really enjoyed (and there aren't many). I guess with SWTOR though, is it's still new and finding it's feet, also I can sense that in the future faction PvP will play a massive roll in this game.