No Gear Check in the LFG tool?

I understand what people are saying about the "gear check" in the LFG tool. Suppose BW does implement this feature into the LFG tool, how would it work? Personally, I do not always LFG in the gear I will do the encounter with.

For instance, the containment gear gotten from the Rhakghoul event. I wore that around just for the RP aspect of wearing it during the virus outbreak. No mods or anything in it, purely for looks (and to sound cool in cutscenes). So I use the LFG tool with "gear check," it looks at my gear and says "nope - not the right gear" and so then I can't join because it determines my gear doesn't meet the "minimum requirements" when in fact I actually have other gear to wear which is above and beyond the "minimum" requirement.

So then you say, the tool should look in your inventory. What about my ship? look there too? What about my companions? look there too? I mean, I can share gear with my companions. How would BW determine what the correct check is?

Now you say "You HAVE to LFG with the gear you are going to use!" Well now that takes away the RP portion of the game. You are now forcing me to do something when that should not be the case. if I want to sit in a cantina and shoot the breeze with Han Solo in my underwear or dance on tables in my swim-wear, I should be able too. When the group is ready, I can gear up and head out.

Also, now you are saying you MUST meet these standards or else you can't do this. Let's say I missed the "gear check" by 1 point, does that mean I shouldn't be able to do the content? How many of us have done quests / missions underleveled? My guess is all of us. Is it more difficult? Of course, but that doesn't mean it's not possible to do it.

I understand there are some instances where damage / healing / tanking can play a key role in winning vs losing. And with enrage timers, some bosses you have to take down fast. I get that. But how do you come up with some arbitrary check and leave out talent? I may not be able to put out the same damage as PlayerX, but I can dodge better than anyone and take no damage. And because of the skill tree and points I put in, I have a higher crit rate. I crit 90% of the time, PlayerX crits 60%. I may only put out 150 base dps vs PlayerX 220, but I crit for 500 and they only crit for 400, and I crit more often.

You can't just take out the human element from the situation. Each situation is going to be unique and each person has different strengths and weaknesses. So what I meet the "minimum" requirement, If I'm a tank, does it matter that I have no idea how to tank properly? That I don't use my skills effectively? just that I meet the "minimum requirement" is all that matters?

In my opinion, it should average the gear level of every piece of gear you have "equipped". Then only allow you to select the content in the tool that you have a hope of surviving.

I just logged in again and the options in the LFG tool are as follows:

1. Planetary Destination
  2. Flashpoints
  3. Hard Mode Flashpoints (Tier 1)
  4. Hard Mode Flashpoints (Tier 2)
  5. Story Mode Operations

I was able to queue for any of these while naked with all my gear in my cargo hold. I didn't actually stay in the queue until I found a group because I didn't want to take it that far.

Edited by EcrirTwyLar

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well. I know I will only queue for content that I think I'm ready for because I don't want the frustration. Most all my gear is PvP gear because it was easiest for me to get. Now I want to collect my PvE set. I'll probably start with regular flashpoints. If I think they are easy, I'll probably move on to Operations and tier 1 hard modes.

I actually think this tool will help more people see the content. Especially Operations.

Edited by EcrirTwyLar

Oh well. I know I will only queue for content that I think I'm ready for because I don't want the frustration. Most all my gear is PvP gear because it was easiest for me to get. Now I want to collect my PvE set. I'll probably start with regular flashpoints. If I think they are easy, I'll probably move on to Operations and tier 1 hard modes.

I actually think this tool will help more people see the content. Especially Operations.

May help more people see content, but say good bye to community. Not a very good trade.

May help more people see content, but say good bye to community. Not a very good trade.

I don't know about that. I know I am against the x-server LFG tool myself. But this is just our own server. So if anything you will be able to get a chance to meet more people on your server and add the skilled ones to your friends list.

I'm glad for a LFG tool. I just hope they get some server merges in and find out that a x-server tool is not necessary.

I don't know about that. I know I am against the x-server LFG tool myself. But this is just our own server. So if anything you will be able to get a chance to meet more people on your server and add the skilled ones to your friends list.

I'm glad for a LFG tool. I just hope they get some server merges in and find out that a x-server tool is not necessary.

They are implementing a no thought required party former. This is showing they do not give a care for people to actually converse with one-another. The LFG tool that was already in the game was enough, just people were lazy and wouldn't use it because the player had to do the searching and party forming.

Edited by Kemosobe

They are implementing a no thought required party former. This is showing they do not give a care for people to actually converse with one-another. The LFG tool that was already in the game was enough, just people were lazy and wouldn't use it because the player had to do the searching and party forming.

What tool would that be? General Chat in station? What if you were off doing missions on a planet because you didn't want to sit around all night trying to form a group?

Without gear check we will have pve version of warzone quiters. People will check each others gear upon arrival and then quit.

I'm not seeing that happening in warzones. I sometimes see people quitting when it's not going well, but you always have a few poor sports on a server.

What tool would that be? General Chat in station? What if you were off doing missions on a planet because you didn't want to sit around all night trying to form a group?

No, the tool where you click that you are looking for a group and then people all over the server can see who is looking for a group.

No, the tool where you click that you are looking for a group and then people all over the server can see who is looking for a group.

I disagree. That tool was rarely used and the current LFG tool is more robust, adaptable, and overall better for the players. LFG shows you're LFG... for what? Heroic? FP? HMFP? Ops? More than one? This makes things much clearer and lets you use that time to do other things without going into /who every 5 minutes.

Because the community does not work like this. Is this really so hard to understand? :( If you start at the beginning, people will tell you that you suck because you have that gear and not the gear after.

You join your first HM, did follow the steps like everyone did on release but still you are removed from that group because you only have daily gear.

If you add a gear check people will farm their *** off for nothing, because in the end the community or shall I say the group will still decide if you are in or out. At wow this ment even if you were at 329 a kick was most likely.

By adding such a gear check you show players that if they finish that step, they are welcome in the content. The truth tho is, they are not more welcome than without that step - because there will always be players that see themselfs as the indicator, so if they have Tier 2 gear everyone must and if not *kick*.

I would welcome it, if BW adds a gearcheck so that old dungeons are still played regulary. But then they need to remove the kickvote, else its pointless as you will still not be able to finish stuff without high end gear, as players will demand it, just like they do at wow.

You just sound paranoid and delusional. Its almost like you have never even played an mmo before and have no idea what so ever how they work.

In my opinion, it should average the gear level of every piece of gear you have "equipped". Then only allow you to select the content in the tool that you have a hope of surviving.

I just logged in again and the options in the LFG tool are as follows:

1. Planetary Destination
  2. Flashpoints
  3. Hard Mode Flashpoints (Tier 1)
  4. Hard Mode Flashpoints (Tier 2)
  5. Story Mode Operations

I was able to queue for any of these while naked with all my gear in my cargo hold. I didn't actually stay in the queue until I found a group because I didn't want to take it that far.

Again, I am now required to do something I should not be. How come I can't be in the cantina in my "dancing" outfit dancing on tables and still LFG? I have appropriate gear, I'm just wearing my current gear for the RP function. Why MUST I have to equip the gear I am going to wear in order to LFG for a particular mission?

What if I'm farming creds? I may not want to risk having to pay high repair costs on the "minimum required" gear and so I wear something else, such as greens, which have a lower repair cost if something crazy should happen. The whole point of the LFG tool was to make it easier for people to be able to do other things without having to stay in one spot for hours.

Not everyone throws up LFG and then sits in one spot the whole time. Some do other things while they wait to pass the time. And again, you can't take out the human element in the equation. I missed the "mark" by 1 point so now I can't queue for it, yet I could still live through it just fine.

I disagree. That tool was rarely used and the current LFG tool is more robust, adaptable, and overall better for the players. LFG shows you're LFG... for what? Heroic? FP? HMFP? Ops? More than one? This makes things much clearer and lets you use that time to do other things without going into /who every 5 minutes.

Pssst. There was a comment section that allowed you to add a comment on what you were looking for. I know it's hard for people to grasp having to put some thought into what they are trying to do this day and age:rolleyes:

Yup, because Darth Malgus forbid you have to actually do any work to get a party together. Also, if people actually used it, you would not see anyone complaining.

Pssst. There was a comment section that allowed you to add a comment on what you were looking for. I know it's hard for people to grasp having to put some thought into what they are trying to do this day and age:rolleyes:

This right here.

Edited by Kemosobe

Ahh, that's not really a tool and I saw almost nobody use it. I think maybe once or twice when I was on the starter planet, I found a group that way. It just wasn't a decent tool.

Again, I am now required to do something I should not be. How come I can't be in the cantina in my "dancing" outfit dancing on tables and still LFG? I have appropriate gear, I'm just wearing my current gear for the RP function. Why MUST I have to equip the gear I am going to wear in order to LFG for a particular mission?

What if I'm farming creds? I may not want to risk having to pay high repair costs on the "minimum required" gear and so I wear something else, such as greens, which have a lower repair cost if something crazy should happen. The whole point of the LFG tool was to make it easier for people to be able to do other things without having to stay in one spot for hours.

Not everyone throws up LFG and then sits in one spot the whole time. Some do other things while they wait to pass the time. And again, you can't take out the human element in the equation. I missed the "mark" by 1 point so now I can't queue for it, yet I could still live through it just fine.

Queue up with the appropriate gear on, then remove it afterwords. That should work. Also, people want queue pops now so it's irrelevant that you want your dancing dress on because you won't have time to dance

Edited by Skidrowbro

i think people should look at the good part of it

1- you don't have to be on the fp to queue

2- pretty sure you can kick someone if he hasn't the gear

3- maybe just spamming lfg with some gear requeriments in the chat will work remember transfers are coming before 1.3 hits live

i think the lfg tool is mostly for easy hm as taral v or stuff and for normal fp

Yeah, and that comment area was buggy and cleared anytime you crossed into a new zone. :rolleyes: Sorry, no that tool was pretty much useless. That is why people started using General chat to find a group.

Ahh, that's not really a tool and I saw almost nobody use it. I think maybe once or twice when I was on the starter planet, I found a group that way. It just wasn't a decent tool.

It was a very decent tool. Needed some minor refining, as I have said several times, but it was a useful tool. The downside to it was the fact that no one would use it because they were either too lazy or did not want to learn a simpler way to form a party than to spam general chat.

Yeah, and that comment area was buggy and cleared anytime you crossed into a new zone. :rolleyes: Sorry, no that tool was pretty much useless. That is why people started using General chat to find a group.

If the tool was so useless, as you are claiming it was, why was I able to form group after group after group using it before the server populations started dropping?

Edited by Kemosobe

Give me a break, that tool was a joke, they have rarely worked at all in any other game they have been used in.

Bw made the game even more anti social by making it easeir to just blow through quests than to even look for a group. Then they gve eveyone an npc to help them do some of the stuff you otherwise might have to find some people for.

Heck i dont remember if it was in beta or just shortly after, but they even moved most of the good orange gear from heroic 4's to 2 man quests and gave the 4's the crappy 2man rewards to even further diminish any desire to group from 1-49

I know its very hard to think bioware did sny wrong, but you really need to look to the design of the game and not the players on this, they built a game that rewards anti social behavior and punishes anyone who wants to group until 50. Then it switches and forces everyone to group.

It was a very decent tool. Needed some minor refining, as I have said several times, but it was a useful tool. The downside to it was the fact that no one would use it because they were either too lazy or did not want to learn a simpler way to form a party than to spam general chat.

If the tool was so useless, as you are claiming it was, why was I able to form group after group after group using it before the server populations started dropping?

You know for a fact people just want the easy way. I guarantee with the new tool that if it takes longer than a minute for a queue to pop people will be complaining it isn't good enough

Psst. The comment is illegible beyond like 12 characters.

Yup, because Darth Malgus forbid you have to actually do any work to get a party together. Also, if people actually used it, you would not see anyone complaining.

This right here.

In what world is spamming lfg "work"? and how does an unnecissary time barrier in front of group content help any mmo in any way at all?

People didnt use it because the game is built to discourage it, so if you have a server with half anti social people and half people who want to group or any other mix, you need to help those people get groups in the most efficient way you can.

You people dont even have good arguements for why you think people should have to wait to get groups, you just demand it.

Give me a break, that tool was a joke, they have rarely worked at all in any other game they have been used in.

Bw made the game even more anti social by making it easeir to just blow through quests than to even look for a group. Then they gve eveyone an npc to help them do some of the stuff you otherwise might have to find some people for.

Heck i dont remember if it was in beta or just shortly after, but they even moved most of the good orange gear from heroic 4's to 2 man quests and gave the 4's the crappy 2man rewards to even further diminish any desire to group from 1-49

I know its very hard to think bioware did sny wrong, but you really need to look to the design of the game and not the players on this, they built a game that rewards anti social behavior and punishes anyone who wants to group until 50. Then it switches and forces everyone to group.

I agree with pretty much all of this.