Enough Lucas Bashing Already!

GusVIII

Is anyone else tired of all the Lucas bashing? I'm tired of people automatically equating the entire prequel trilogy with bad movies. Including Episode III, the second best movie in the entire franchise. There's an article on Cracked.com that takes it to a whole new level of stupid. Actually going out of it's way to state that Lucas doesn't deserve much credit for the original trilogy. HIS OWN CREATION!

http://www.cracked.com/article_19576_6-pop-culture-visionaries-who-get-too-much-credit.html?wa_user1=5&wa_user2=Movies+%26+TV&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

The article might as well have said that Lucas doesn't deserve any credit because he didn't do the special affects, act out all of the scenes, or write the movie score himself. The bottom line is, Lucas wrote all of Star Wars. The entire story was his brainchild.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else tired of all the Lucas bashing? I'm tired of people automatically equating the entire prequel trilogy with bad movies. Including Episode III, the second best movie in the entire franchise. There's an article on Cracked.com that takes it to a whole new level of stupid. Actually going out of it's way to state that Lucas doesn't deserve much credit for the original trilogy. HIS OWN CREATION!

http://www.cracked.com/article_19576_6-pop-culture-visionaries-who-get-too-much-credit.html?wa_user1=5&wa_user2=Movies+%26+TV&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

The article might as well have said that Lucas doesn't deserve any credit because he didn't do the special affects, act out all of the scenes, or write the movie score himself. The bottom line is, Lucas wrote all of Star Wars. The entire story was his brainchild.

No. No to all of the above.

Edited by Velaran

Any reason why?

1. Lucas has way too much disdain for his own fanbase for us to stop railing him.

2. Lucas can be thanked for the initial creative spark for the first three movies, but it took a team to make those movies. Especially his producers. They moderated his vision and kept everything from getting out of control. By the prequels, Lucas had pretty much disposed of anyone who disagreed with him on what the movies should be, and it showed.

LOL what? 'Including Episode III, the second best movie in the entire franchise'

Episode III was the fourth best movie in the series, behind the original three, but above TPM and AotC.

1. Lucas has way too much disdain for his own fanbase for us to stop railing him.

2. Lucas can be thanked for the initial creative spark for the first three movies, but it took a team to make those movies. Especially his producers. They moderated his vision and kept everything from getting out of control. By the prequels, Lucas had pretty much disposed of anyone who disagreed with him on what the movies should be, and it showed.

Episode III was the fourth best movie in the series, behind the original three, but above TPM and AotC.

Disdain how? Because he continues to make changes to his movies?

He didn't just come up with the initial creative spark. He wrote the whole story, and made numerous changes along the way, that's what writers do. I know that the movies were a team effort and I'm not trying to take away from their due credit. I'm just tired of the bashers trying to deny Lucas his due credit. He dreamed up Star Wars and the movies were made to reflect his vision. And he manged to put the right team together to make it awesome. Star Wars is still following his vision. Just look at the Clone Wars TV series.

Episode III is the second best movie in the series. I loved A New Hope and Return of the Jedi, but Episode III is clearly the superior film. The only reason most of the bashers put it behind all of the the original trilogy is because it's one of the prequels, which they have chosen to hate no matter what. This is how I rank them.

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. Revenge of the Sith

3. Return of the Jedi

4. A New Hope

5. Attack of the Clones

6. The Phantom Menace

He didn't just come up with the initial creative spark. He wrote the whole story, and made numerous changes along the way, that's what writers do. I know that the movies were a team effort and I'm not trying to take away from their due credit. I'm just tired of the bashers trying to deny Lucas his due credit. He dreamed up Star Wars and the movies were made to reflect his vision. And he manged to put the right team together to make it awesome. Star Wars is still following his vision. Just look at the Clone Wars TV series.

Episode III is the second best movie in the series. I loved A New Hope and Return of the Jedi, but Episode III is clearly the superior film. The only reason most of the bashers put it behind all of the the original trilogy is because it's one of the prequels, which they have chosen to hate no matter what. This is how I rank them.

2. Revenge of the Sith

3. Return of the Jedi

4. A New Hope

5. Attack of the Clones

6. The Phantom Menace

Oh this is how YOU rank them... ps the rest of the world does not think this.

This.

I agree, the level of Lucas bashing IS out of control. I mean, I'm not for the prequels myself (and I STRONGLY disagree that Episode 3 is the second best), but his original three movies are just fantastic! And just for fun, in order of favoritism

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. Return Of The Jedi

-I'm not saying the other three are BAD, I just really love the original trilogy -

4. Attack Of The Clones

5. The Phantom Menace

6. Revenge Of The Sith

Why do you care if people bash on Lucas? It's not like he's going to stop making movies, that's already happened. Just get over it bro, he is a good writer and all, but he does get WAY too much credit for this work.

The only reason I would place Episode III high up in any list would be because it had so many lightsaber duels....... ;). Otherwise the Original Trilogy was a lot better.

2. Revenge of the Sith

3. Return of the Jedi

4. A New Hope

5. Attack of the Clones

6. The Phantom Menace

Lucas doesn't get full credit for the "vision" of the Star Wars universe. Many of the things we all love about the Star Wars universe have nothing to do with him. The sound design....things like the whoosh of a lightsaber, the howl of a TIE fighter, and the noise of blaster fire had nothing to do with Lucas. Ben Burtt gets the credit for those iconic sounds and the universe wouldn't be nearly as interesting or engrossing without those sounds.

If you look at this story from Cracked you will learn about Ralph McQuarrie whose artwork actually had more to do with creating the "vision" of the universe that we all love than anything George Lucas brought to the table. Seriously, look at that artwork and then tell me that much of what we all love about Star Wars wasn't from the visionary mind of Ralph McQuarrie.

The score was the the creation of John Williams and it is absolutely iconic. It's not clear to me at all that we would all be playing Star Wars games and continuing to talk about the series if John Williams had not brought the universe to life with that score.

Your claim that he wrote the whole story is just factually incorrect. Lucas did not direct or write the screenplays for Episodes V and VI. Lawrence Kasdan wrote both screenplays and Irvin Kershner directed the best episode of the series (Empire Strikes Back).

George Lucas absolutely was the driving force behind the creation of Star Wars, but as someone else pointed out, the team effort that created the original trilogy cannot be understated. When you look at the prequels you see what happens when Lucas had full control and it just doesn't measure up to the original trilogy at all.

As far as your claim that Ep. III is the second best, I and many others disagree vehemently. It should have been the second best, but it doesn't climb higher than 4th because it wasn't set up properly. By the time we see Anakin fall and see him get cut to pieces by Obi Wan we could not possibly care less about him as a character. Really, the prequels didn't make us care that much about any of the characters.

How would you have felt if Luke, Han, Leia, or even Chewbacca had been killed in Return of the Jedi? How would you have felt if Luke had turned to the dark side at the end of ROTJ? I, and many others, would have been really upset. I cared about those characters and there is no way I would have been unaffected by what happened to them. Be honest, how did you feel when Anakin turned? How did you feel when Padme died? How did you feel when Anakin got cut to pieces? I felt.....nothing when those things happened. I didn't care. That is why Episode III cannot climb higher than 4th on the list and will always rank below the films from the original trilogy.

I might as well put up my rankings for the movies....

1. Empire Strikes Back.

2. A New Hope.

3. Return of the Jedi.

4. The ENTIRE Firefly series.

5. Serenity.

6. BOTH Ewoks movies.

7. The ENTIRE Droids series.

8. The ENTIRE Ewoks series.

9. The Holiday Special.

10. Revenge of the Sith.

11. Attack of the Clones.

12. The Phantom Menace.

1. Empire Strikes Back.

2. A New Hope.

3. Return of the Jedi.

5. Serenity.

6. BOTH Ewoks movies.

9. The Holiday Special.

10. Revenge of the Sith.

12. The Phantom Menace.

LOLOLOL. The Holiday Special!

1. Empire Strikes Back.

2. A New Hope.

3. Return of the Jedi.

5. Serenity.

6. BOTH Ewoks movies.

9. The Holiday Special.

10. Revenge of the Sith.

12. The Phantom Menace.

LoL!

+100 internetz for you!

You know what i agree, why does everybody hate the prequels? would you rather have six movies of luke skywalker sucking? or see obi-wan and yoda in action?? the prequels are the best ones they hav better graphics storylines and sound-effects. :rolleyes:

1. Empire Strikes Back.

2. A New Hope.

3. Return of the Jedi.

5. Serenity.

6. BOTH Ewoks movies.

9. The Holiday Special.

10. Revenge of the Sith.

12. The Phantom Menace.