PvP Gear

CyclopicWarrior

So as a fresh 50 thats been keeping up on my gear through leveling I ran into a problem once I started PvP in the 50's bracket. I looked at the recruit gear and held off on buying it as all of my primary stats would decrease, but expertise would increase as well as accuracy, power, etc.. I know expertise is what you want to up in PvP, but some of the drops in my Str/End were 20+ points, is that too much to sacrifice for 70 points in expertise per piece? I've gotten a few BM pieces, but I'm still not clear on what stats I should focus on at this point. As a JK Sent I know I want accuracy, expertise and such but what should I be looking for as far as a cap to strength and endurance? Should I always go for more expertise?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a closer look on the expertise values in your char sheet. It should make it almot transparent that point-for-point expertise is king. The points you go down in main stats is easily outweighted by the benefits of the expertise that goes up.

^Yes. As the system works now, Expertise is much more important than your regular stats in PVP. I have a set of armor I use for PVE and one I use for PVP. If I switch to the PVP set I lose a lot of Aim (my main stat) as well as endurance (health). However, the Expertise I get in return makes it so I do much better in PVP with that armor on than I would with my PVE set, even though the PVE set gives me more Aim and Endurance.

For PVP, get as much Expertise as you can, no matter the cost! Save your other equipment for PVE content.

Get your full battle master set. Then as you work towards WH you can opt to get some interim oranges that have the extra augment slot. Then you can consider stat building. The battle master gear will take pretty good care of you and you will see improvement with each new piece.

I suggest considering the order you get the gear to maintain some balance along the way.

The recruit gear, as far as I have witnessed (I had champion prior to that patch and kept that initially) is useless. New recruits get crushed in my pugs and can't compete very well with mostly WH opponents.

Edited by whatthefett

Get your full battle master set. Then as you work towards WH you can opt to get some interim oranges that have the extra augment slot. Then you can consider stat building. The battle master gear will take pretty good care of you and you will see improvement with each new piece.

I suggest considering the order you get the gear to maintain some balance along the way.

The recruit gear, as far as I have witnessed (I had champion prior to that patch and kept that initially) is useless. New recruits get crushed in my pugs and can't compete very well with mostly WH opponents.

Not true - while fresh 50s may get crushed quite frequently it isn't just because of the gear. I have two alts who are still in mostly-recruit (2-5 bits of BM on them now) and yet they both make useful contributions to teams. Of course you aren't going to win a 1-on-1 with an experienced WH but that isn't what it takes to win a WZ.

For example, you can tank just fine in such gear as long as you also pop a Fortitude stim. Remember, PVP tanking doesn't involve getting the whole of the other team to hit you it involves guarding, taunting and peeling from your healers. 100k Protection and 200k Damage is perfectly achievable in such lowly gear. Similarly, other specs can comfortably do 200k healing or damage just so long as they stick with and support their team - don't go charging in first, don't think you're the god you felt like as a L49. Play for your team, play the objectives and you can still do fine (I've managed a 50% Pug win-rate on them over the last few days, which compares with a 70% premade win ratio on my Conqueror.)

The problem with most people in recruit gear, who aren't alts, is that they are both worse players and in worse gear. The gear is only a fraction of the overall problem.

More on topic, yes Recruit gear is worth it. The difference between 900 Expertise and 0 Expertise is bigger than the difference between Tionese and Rakata.

People who say recruit gear is useless are generally just weak players.

A buddy of mine bought a full set of Recruit stuff for his vanguard, just to see how much worse it is, and still did like 400k damage.

I doubt it. Recruit gear is survivability driven, not damage driven.

Not true - while fresh 50s may get crushed quite frequently it isn't just because of the gear. I have two alts who are still in mostly-recruit (2-5 bits of BM on them now) and yet they both make useful contributions to teams. Of course you aren't going to win a 1-on-1 with an experienced WH but that isn't what it takes to win a WZ.

For example, you can tank just fine in such gear as long as you also pop a Fortitude stim. Remember, PVP tanking doesn't involve getting the whole of the other team to hit you it involves guarding, taunting and peeling from your healers. 100k Protection and 200k Damage is perfectly achievable in such lowly gear. Similarly, other specs can comfortably do 200k healing or damage just so long as they stick with and support their team - don't go charging in first, don't think you're the god you felt like as a L49. Play for your team, play the objectives and you can still do fine (I've managed a 50% Pug win-rate on them over the last few days, which compares with a 70% premade win ratio on my Conqueror.)

The problem with most people in recruit gear, who aren't alts, is that they are both worse players and in worse gear. The gear is only a fraction of the overall problem.

More on topic, yes Recruit gear is worth it. The difference between 900 Expertise and 0 Expertise is bigger than the difference between Tionese and Rakata.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but don't get high on recruit gear. You would be better off coming in with orange moddables with bonus augments. C'mon.

No, recruit gear is absolutely necessary for a fresh 50. Orange augments are simply not enough. I hit 50 on my vanguard alt last night and in recruit gear with a WH wpn, I could easily break 200k dmg with upwards of 50-60k protection. In Novare Coast, guarding mid, I hit 350k dmg, and was 4th overall on the dmg list, with 12 medals as well. Recruit gear is far from useless. You do not make up for the loss in expertise with augment slots.

No, recruit gear is absolutely necessary for a fresh 50. Orange augments are simply not enough. I hit 50 on my vanguard alt last night and in recruit gear with a WH wpn, I could easily break 200k dmg with upwards of 50-60k protection. In Novare Coast, guarding mid, I hit 350k dmg, and was 4th overall on the dmg list, with 12 medals as well. Recruit gear is far from useless. You do not make up for the loss in expertise with augment slots.

You must be on a pretty bad pvp server. Before recruit gear that is exactly how you would enter wz's and the only difference in recruit gear is the endurance which pertains to survivability, so again the damage reports are irrelevant - you would do more damage with oranges, if that was the goal of pvp. I love that everyone trolls how many medals they got and how much damage and they always lose. As if damage meant anythIng significant. I got guys with 91 kills and top damage and we lose Hutball 6-0. Kudos.

Edited by whatthefett

you want expertise ALWAYS. the only time you can start to lay off stacking it is once you have > 20%

until you have 1100 expertise, your base stats come second to stacking expertise. if youre going to be pvping, you will see a much better return on stat investment from expertise than any other stat, in terms of both damage output and survivability

You must be on a pretty bad pvp server. Before recruit gear that is exactly how you would enter wz's and the only difference in recruit gear is the endurance which pertains to survivability, so again the damage reports are irrelevant - you would do more damage with oranges, if that was the goal of pvp. I love that everyone trolls how many medals they got and how much damage and they always lose. As if damage meant anythIng significant. I got guys with 91 kills and top damage and we lose Hutball 6-0. Kudos.

acually it sounds you are on a bad pvp server if u think that u can help your team without recruit gear in pvp, you will just ruin it for the team.

acually it sounds you are on a bad pvp server if u think that u can help your team without recruit gear in pvp, you will just ruin it for the team.

Yeah you got me. Keep standing there in recruit gear against BM and WH mixes. Lol.

Yeah you got me. Keep standing there in recruit gear against BM and WH mixes. Lol.

recruit gear at least gives some expertise. modded orange gear gives no expertise (at least for a fresh level 50).

that make recruit gear better in pvp. this isnt rocket science folks.......

Buy the Recruit gear partner. I remember how much of a difference the old Champion gear made for me once I horded enough commendations. The face that you can just buy the Recruit gear is such an advantage to new 50's post 1.2. I remember being upset that some of my main stats dropped with the PVP gear but it is such a need to have Expertise. I increases your damage, it reduces the damage done to you, it even increases the amount that you get healed by other players.

Nice example: My server has an entire GUILD who refuses to buy Recruit gear....and then their premade faced some actually geared playes IE the rest of us. It was a Voidstar match and we capped under 3 mins. It was like running a hot knife through butter. After that game they all went and bought their gear. A rematch happened the other day and the match was a complete stalemate.

Buy the Recruit gear partner. I remember how much of a difference the old Champion gear made for me once I horded enough commendations. The face that you can just buy the Recruit gear is such an advantage to new 50's post 1.2. I remember being upset that some of my main stats dropped with the PVP gear but it is such a need to have Expertise. I increases your damage, it reduces the damage done to you, it even increases the amount that you get healed by other players.

Modded custom gear is better than recruit. That is why everyone has modded custom gear after war hero. Duh. The mods can be gotten through dailies. Google "swtor recruit gear vs custom" and you will find a hundred articles on it. People respondingin this post have had better gear for so long they don't remember what it is to think outside the box. Recruit gear is for jumping in cold, but you should already have full custom oranges by 50. The adjustment to mods is minor and better. But do what you think is best and look at all the fools with recruit gear failing.

Edited by whatthefett

Nice example: My server has an entire GUILD who refuses to buy Recruit gear....and then their premade faced some actually geared playes IE the rest of us. It was a Voidstar match and we capped under 3 mins. It was like running a hot knife through butter. After that game they all went and bought their gear. A rematch happened the other day and the match was a complete stalemate.

Meaningless. Maybe they had greens at first and any improvement was great. Maybe the other team really blew or also had recruit. No recruit team can even damage a BM team. Period. The recruit gear sucks.

Modded custom gear is better than recruit. That is why everyone has modded custom gear after war hero. Duh. The mods can be gotten through dailies. Google "swtor recruit gear vs custom" and you will find a hundred articles on it. People respondingin this post have had better gear for so long they don't remember what it is to think outside the box. Recruit gear is for jumping in cold, but you should already have full custom oranges by 50. The adjustment to mods is minor and better. But do what you think is best and look at all the fools with recruit gear failing.

you sir, are wrong

I have no idea if this dude is being serious or not. On one hand i want to laugh but on the other, im going "***, over?". "thats why everyone has modded custom gear after war hero. duh (my favorite part". take a look at that modded custom orange gear and youll find a bountiful amount of a stat called EXPERTISE!!!!!! why is this so hard for people to understand? you need expertise to succeed in wz's. orange modded gear lmfao.....

I have no idea if this dude is being serious or not. On one hand i want to laugh but on the other, im going "***, over?". "thats why everyone has modded custom gear after war hero. duh (my favorite part". take a look at that modded custom orange gear and youll find a bountiful amount of a stat called EXPERTISE!!!!!! why is this so hard for people to understand? you need expertise to succeed in wz's. orange modded gear lmfao.....

I suspect you are one of those guys that nevers leaves Fleet so Ill offer two things that are simple. Look to the right of where you are standing. There is a weapons vendor. He has all orange moddable weapons with...wait for it...Mods in them!

Mods make the custom gear. The gear is irreleavant but I am sure you know that.

Ill also clue you in on one other fact but this will blow your mind, but I am not telling you anything more because you will abuse it. Custom gear comes with...wait for it...augment slots! There are augments that are craftable for any stat you want, including...Expertise! Yay!

And guess what? 5 pieces of custom orange gear with 5 extra slots is...wait for it...better than welfare gear...yay!

Why do you think it is that Recruit Gear is purchasable with credits? Because anyone can get it with zero effort and it is...wait for it...terrible!

I cant take any more time to lay out how to build a custom set, because I did it and it was better than RG. I dont want you to think it through. I want to faceroll you in your welfare RG. Enjoy.

you want expertise ALWAYS. the only time you can start to lay off stacking it is once you have > 20%

until you have 1100 expertise, your base stats come second to stacking expertise. if youre going to be pvping, you will see a much better return on stat investment from expertise than any other stat, in terms of both damage output and survivability

Everyone wearing recruit gear in a warzone today disputes this claim because you cant create damage or negate it when youre dead and standing in a penalty box. Again, insofar as workign towards BM gear, recuit gear is a nice package, but useless in todays BM/WH environment.

Not to say that recruit gear players cant contribute- there are great players in that base- they just got screwed in gear and have to work a lot harder.

Edited by whatthefett

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.