[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

I noticed after this latest patch that the RE button/icon is gone from my inventory. I thought it was because I didn't have a weapon in my inventory. So, I put one there. Still nothing. Was the button or function moved to another location because as of now I cannot RE anything.

Use your keybind to open the inventory, or interact with a vendor, bank, or GTM kiosk. This bug has been in since release and is covered in the bugs section of the guide. :cool:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had 400 cybertech since level 30. I am currently level 39. i am able to craft most of cybertech level 49 items at the blue level. Some popped on the first try other took much longer. I dont think level has anything to do with it.

Yea. I haven't noticed differences from RE'ing based on your level or your crew skill level.

I've noticed it's harder to RE 40+ mods. I've also experienced some troubles with reversing some 30+ mods when I got new companion. So it's either different chances on higher-level mods, either BioWare has played around with chances while I was leveling.

Also, I've noticed some useless artifact-grade items reverse more often. For example I was reversing some Critical earpice. It gave me Leadership and Tempest in the first several runs. Then I've reversed around 100 of blue earpieces, I've got Supremacy and Fervor. And a couple of "You already know this schematic" messages. Still no Endowment. Maybe that's bad luck, maybe chances are different for different prefixes.

Also, I've noticed some useless artifact-grade items reverse more often. For example I was reversing some Critical earpice. It gave me Leadership and Tempest in the first several runs. Then I've reversed around 100 of blue earpieces, I've got Supremacy and Fervor. And a couple of "You already know this schematic" messages. Still no Endowment. Maybe that's bad luck, maybe chances are different for different prefixes.

I really hate it when you get the "You already know this schematic" message. That's probably my biggest complaint about crafting right now. If I already know the schematic why would I be trying to learn that one? I think they game should just give you a chance to learn schematics that you don't have already.

Yeah, that's very frustrating.

But my biggest complaint about crafting is that there are plenty of more or less nice modules which come as a quest reward or drop, so no one will buy most of the stuff you can craft at GTN.

For nice crafting economy the mechanics should rely on players making these modules.

I've noticed it's harder to RE 40+ mods. I've also experienced some troubles with reversing some 30+ mods when I got new companion. So it's either different chances on higher-level mods, either BioWare has played around with chances while I was leveling.

I literally have hit a wall here. And it seems that there indeed is a curve of diminishing chance to get schematic as levels go up, seeing as the newly created alt easily got loads of purple low-level schematics.

I'm an artificer, been keeping my crystals, enhancements, hilts and offhands of purple quality up to my level. And I did in fact notice the trend of higher mods taking more tries to learn schematics. At lvls 35-40 it was 10-15 items per schematic, but now.. level 43 hilt took like 25 tries. Which is bit high, but still acceptable.

But it appears I got somewhat lucky on that or weapon/armor mods have higher chances of being REd than items themselves(GTN seems to somewhat confirm this). Doing level 41 offhand(just because I wanted to.. it's quite nice actually, but no real need to do it), I'm at 70+ REd offhands now and.. nothing :D My largest problem atm is that I actually have credits to waste, but even emptying the whole GTN constantly is not enough, there's distinct lack of resources there now.. and companions can complete mission only ever so often.

Wonder how's it at level 50.. :rolleyes:

So, I was working on the level offhand for artifice. Trying to get the crit version of Devastating power, not sure if it would add more crit or not. It DOES NOT. So it's NOT worth getting. But I had a lower level item that had defense stat on it originally and when I got the Rubout version, it added more defense. I shall test if defense works with another item later. Just to let you know for now don't try to get one with a stat already on, find a new one.

Maybe it's different for OH items. But as a cybertech, this morning after 2-3 days and 45 blue crafts I hit the purple one I wanted. I got a http://www.torhead.com/item/8RLZKK/serenity-relay with the prefix Vehemence so it's stacked twice, one on power and one on alacrity.

Maybe it's different for OH items. But as a cybertech, this morning after 2-3 days and 45 blue crafts I hit the purple one I wanted. I got a http://www.torhead.com/item/8RLZKK/serenity-relay with the prefix Vehemence so it's stacked twice, one on power and one on alacrity.

Yeah I have to check another off hand item later, but the one I crafted for myself, didn't. Could be a bug, but not sure.

EDIT: I logged back in today and it seems to have been changed. Not sure how, maybe it was visual linking bug so the crit for crit DID add. So you can add stats to it. Sorry about that confusion. Doing my best to help. I heard a rumor that synth and armor people can create mod version of said item? So if say you found a green item that looks great. Deconstruct, learn blue, then learn purple, then learn orange?

Edited by Valdez_Raptor

Does anyone know what the [Prototype] label is on an item? Or where it comes from? I am starting to see some of these on the GM with the same name as some of my patterns. Like [Prototype] Masters Greaves, which is an artifact with 2 slots.

Prototype is an item quality, rarer than the green but more common than the purple

Perhaps not the correct place to put this, but..

I would like to warn people from trying to Reverse Engineer PvP items, such as Centurion Force-Master 's Implant. You can RE them, but they will give you a "No reverse engineering information for item 'ITEM NAME'." message, then remove said item from your inventory.

I created a ticket regarding this. Got a form-letter reply, but not my item returned.

I was wandering if someone could help me i am i biochem and i was RE a blue implant and got a Purple Superior implant my question is how do i get it to mastercraft do i need to RE the epic version or keep Re the Blue version of the implant

many thanks in advance

I was wandering if someone could help me i am i biochem and i was RE a blue implant and got a Purple Superior implant my question is how do i get it to mastercraft do i need to RE the epic version or keep Re the Blue version of the implant

many thanks in advance

If I understand correctly, you can't get a Mastercraft schematic. Mastercraft indicates that it is critically crafted. You will have to craft the purple superior implant until you finally get a purple implant that will lose the superior tag and get a Mastercraft tag...but like I said..you dont get the schematic..just the item with an augment slot

Fantastic guide. You have no idea how useful this has been.

----------------------------[ Leadership

---------------------------/- Tempest

---------------- Critical ---- Fervor

-------------/-------------\- Endowment

-------------|--------------[ ????????

-------------|----------------------------

-------------|--------------[ Exactitude

-------------|-------------/- Anti-Armor

Base Item -|- Redoubt --- General

-------------|-------------\- Veracity

-------------|--------------[ ????????

-------------|----------------------------

-------------|--------------[ Vehemence

-------------\-------------/- Rampart

---------------- Overkill --- ????????

---------------------------\- ????????

----------------------------[ ????????

Based on the above, I'd like to confirm the following;

I found a Prototype recipe on the GTN,so anything crafted by that starts at "blue". When I RE'd it, I got an artifact (purple) Redoubt version. Can I RE that Redoubt into a Deep Purple?

Specifically, I have the M-415 Particle Beam Ripper. I crafted one of them, RE'd it, and it became a "Redoubt M-415 Particle Beam Ripper", an artifact level recipe. Can I then RE that Redoubt into the next level?

Edited by outrageousprime

Is it confirmed that loot or vendor items can't give discoveries? I've bought about 15 mods from a vendor and tried to RE them. I get material but no discovery.

Given the low chance to get a discovery I thought it might just be bad luck, but I don't want to spend all my commendations trying to get a discovery if someone else already have tested and proven it's not working :)

Does anyone know what the [Prototype] label is on an item? Or where it comes from? I am starting to see some of these on the GM with the same name as some of my patterns. Like [Prototype] Masters Greaves, which is an artifact with 2 slots.

If an item has the [Prototype] prefix it's a dropped item, not a crafted one. In this case it doesn't relate to the quality of the item.

I've seen this on both blue and purple items but only the purples seem to have slots (except bracers and belts, which have none). It may only appear on dropped items that are also craftable...just guessing.

Fantastic guide. You have no idea how useful this has been.

Based on the above, I'd like to confirm the following;

I found a Prototype recipe on the GTN,so anything crafted by that starts at "blue". When I RE'd it, I got an artifact (purple) Redoubt version. Can I RE that Redoubt into a Deep Purple?

It won't be Deep Purple which is considered Legendary. It will simply be Purple/Artifact with Improved Stats, also considered Tier 2 and there are 5 versions available.

If an item has the [Prototype] prefix it's a dropped item, not a crafted one. In this case it doesn't relate to the quality of the item.

I've seen this on both blue and purple items but only the purples seem to have slots (except bracers and belts, which have none). It may only appear on dropped items that are also craftable...just guessing.

I came to the same conclusion over the last few days. Pretty confusing having an item with the [Prototype] tag that is Artifact quality and then using the Prototype label to mean a blue item level. Or having an item with the same name as something craftable.

It won't be Deep Purple which is considered Legendary. It will simply be Purple/Artifact with Improved Stats, also considered Tier 2 and there are 5 versions available.

Interesting. So I guess the only way to craft a Legendary Item is to RE an existing Artifact....?

Craft a Purple - RE that. Craft the new one, RE that. = Legendary?

Interesting. So I guess the only way to craft a Legendary Item is to RE an existing Artifact....?

Craft a Purple - RE that. Craft the new one, RE that. = Legendary?

That's the theory, but it's so expensive and time consuming that we don't really know yet.

Either it can't be done, or no one has done it yet (and told any of us about it) with confirmation.

so a mastercraft comes from a blue or is a advanced upgrade?

Mastercraft is an artifact item crafted with a critical success. This grants it an augment slot. Any lower quality item than artifact (green or blue colors) that gets a critical success would have the [Exceptional] tag after it, I believe.