What are Troopers awesome at?

MagesKickass

So far, in my gameplay, I've heard that Knights make awesome tanks, Consulars are the best healers, and Smugglers are the best DPS.

Does this mean that Troopers are just a ****** class that I shouldn't play? Or what are they good at?

So far, in my gameplay, I've heard that Knights make awesome tanks, Consulars are the best healers, and Smugglers are the best DPS.

Does this mean that Troopers are just a ****** class that I shouldn't play? Or what are they good at?

Whoever told you those things knows very little about the game.

I don't know about Commandos, but Vanguards are awesome tanks. If you make your own weapons, and on an alt make your armor (or vise versa) leveling up is easy, but fun. It's a little more difficult if you rely solely on drops for these things, but still fun. I've done both and had a ball. That's right, I've leveled up two Vanguards so they could make each others stuff. Edited by ahnog

Whoever told you those things knows very little about the game.

This. ^

The Trooper class is very well-rounded. You will find several all Trooper (and all Bounty Hunter for that matter) guilds in the game, because we can fill every combat role (DPS/tank/heals). In addition, we excel at AoE (area) damage, which makes leveling up a breeze because you almost always face multiples while questing.

As for awesome...I'd say tank spec Vanguards are best in the game, as far as PvE goes. For PvP, Assault spec Vanguards are one of the most feared classes on the battlefield.

Level 50 Commando, basically you wreak havoc upon the battlefield.

you lower the enemy armor (or defense can't remember), then you use combo with your abilities to damage him so much until he cries... lots of time while leveling my commando I left alone alive and saved the group. also u get heals and "Oh Crap!" buttons to save the day.

Troopers and Consulars can Tank/Heal/Dps

Knights can Tank/Dps

Smugglers can Heal/Dps

None of them do any of those roles perfectly. Wouldn't be a game if one class was really the best in a role.

Thats the thing. Troopers are good at EVERYTHING. I am a tank, and I've played DPS before on my vanguard. I've seen amazing mercenary healers. They wear heavy armour. There simply isn't something they can't do. Edited by Y_bot
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

Troopers awesome in HM's because you can just obliterate groups of mobs before they really do any damage to the group. Rather than have a bunch of guys running around doing single target dps, and your tank running in and trying to taunt everything you just have your Vanguard tank and your combat medic lay a mortar volley down each and its done.

Combat medics also get an in combat CC which works on all mob types - which is sweet, and a stun which can be used to interrupt as well or mitigate damage.

Sage's are the worst healers.

Scroundrels the best healer.

Commandos the best dps.

Vanguards the best tank.

I love my commando to death. But when it comes to PvP, you'll learn to fear melee classes.

We're quite squishy and especially if you're a Gunnery specced Mando, once they get close enough to interrupt you, it's time to say goodbye.

I'm not claiming I'm an expert on playing a Commando, but we do the best DPS possible for our class if we're high up some where free casting. Like I said, if a Marauder sets his sights on you, unless you outgear him/her, you probably should run.

Sage's are the worst healers.

Scroundrels the best healer.

Commandos the best dps.

Vanguards the best tank.

lol commandos best dps.

never met a commando i couldnt fart on and blow over, dont think ive ever lost to one 1v1 and altho some of them can keep up dps wise its big variance for them on how much AOE they get to drop whereas the vg DPS will always put up the same huge numbers and be a single target ****** along with way more survivability and as i said, will always, always, ALWAYS buttrhape a commando 1v1.

Troopers are awesome at a lot of things

Vanguards:

Shield Spec - Awesome tanks.

Tactics - Awesome PVE DPS.

Assault - Awesome ZOMG I'M BURNING PVP DPS

Commandos:

Combat Medic - Awesome single target heals.

Assault - Awesome DOTs... RNG, nope sorry.

Gunnery - Corpses make awesome cover for Gunslingers.

WAY more love for troopers than I'm used to seeing... kinda nice to hear, but most of it is for Vanguards.

I have seen successful Combat Medic healers, but it's much more challenging to do some HM FPs and Ops without a decent AoE heal like Sages have.

Whoever said Commandos are the best DPS, I lol'd. As for our "spectacular AoE dmg", my Smuggler friend's main AoE does about 20% more dps (with about the same gear), and he can cast it right on top of the party as opposed to my Commando Mortar Volley that has to be x meters away from me. Sage AoE can be chain-casted. In pure AoE, the pecking order on our runs goes Sage > Smuggler > Commando. In single-target DPS, it goes Smuggler > Commando > Sage.

Whoever said Commandos are the best DPS, I lol'd. As for our "spectacular AoE dmg", my Smuggler friend's main AoE does about 20% more dps (with about the same gear), and he can cast it right on top of the party as opposed to my Commando Mortar Volley that has to be x meters away from me. Sage AoE can be chain-casted. In pure AoE, the pecking order on our runs goes Sage > Smuggler > Commando. In single-target DPS, it goes Smuggler > Commando > Sage.

Commandos/Mercs have the best six to nine seconds of AE in the game. It isn't sustainable, but it rocks everyone else.

Sticky Grenade > Relic > Adrenal > Tech Override > Reserve Power Cell > Plasma Grenade > Mortar Volley > Hail of Bolts

Assault will use Hail of Bolts twice instead of Mortar Volley, due to talents and a chance to proc Plasma Cell.

That gives, assuming about a 35-40% crit rate and 75% surge rate, an average output of between 14-16k in six seconds or 16-20k over 9 seconds. Once rounded the corner on respawn in Voidstar, popped this off without getting molested and actually killed all five imperials by the door before they registered what was going on.

Edited by azhrione

Commandos/Mercs have the best six to nine seconds of AE in the game. It isn't sustainable, but it rocks everyone else.

Sticky Grenade > Relic > Adrenal > Tech Override > Reserve Power Cell > Plasma Grenade > Mortar Volley > Hail of Bolts.

Edit: I just realized you said "Voidstar", so it's important to note here that I'm only talking from a PVE experience, while you sound like you're coming from a PVP perspective.

I'll give that to you; that is a sick combo. But firstly it depends on cooldowns, and like you said, it's not sustainable. Second, mortar volley is only useful before the mobs have aggro'd or if I can back away from the group without attracting any strong's/elite's (not usually possible if I open with a Sticky). Also, even with Reserve Powercell in there, that's a lot of ammo getting chewed. If there's a champ or boss in the mix, I'd hate to start the fight burning that much ammo. Finally, if I'm in a group with another dps, and we're AoEing a group of mobs down, they'll last about 4 seconds. If I am running with my Smuggler friend, he can have his big AoE going before I'm halfway into the meat of that combo, and the sage being able to drop his Relic and just chain-cast his AoE is a no-contest.

All in all though, I'd be a lot happier with just 1 less ammo cost on one or two of those skills, and/or removing the range minimum on Mortar Volley.... and maybe an interrupt that isn't a CC? *puppy-dog eyes*

But to the OP (I really meant to say this in my first reply), commandos are still a lot of fun. While I personally don't think we're quite on par with other healers/dps'ers in the PVE game, it's not enough of a margin to make us a crippling handicap to have in a raid.

Edited by Fhrosty

Edit: I just realized you said "Voidstar", so it's important to note here that I'm only talking from a PVE experience, while you sound like you're coming from a PVP perspective.

Yeah, there is almost no situation you would ever want to drop that in PVE, it's serious overkill for non-elites (which will be CCed by the Plasma Grenade), and non elites won't stay packed together.

In PVP it is insane, and usually unexpected, however probably shouldn't be used often as it will drain your Ammo to only 1-2. Note that from a standard PVE perspective Hail of Bolts is strictly better than Mortar Volley if you are Assault. Each tick can trigger Plasma Cell on every mob being hit, making it superior for clearing trash since it has no cooldown and still CCs the trash.

• 3 weeks later...
This. ^

The Trooper class is very well-rounded. You will find several all Trooper (and all Bounty Hunter for that matter) guilds in the game, because we can fill every combat role (DPS/tank/heals). In addition, we excel at AoE (area) damage, which makes leveling up a breeze because you almost always face multiples while questing.

As for awesome...I'd say tank spec Vanguards are best in the game, as far as PvE goes. For PvP, Assault spec Vanguards are one of the most feared classes on the battlefield.

Agree with every word yet on my server all vangaurds are PVP and not many high end content PvE tanks

I really like the Commando Combat Medic.

Yeah, I know, they aren't the best healers in the game...trust me, I know...

What I like is the fact that the Combat Medic feels like a Hybrid right out of the gate. In Heroic groups while leveling, I can easily switch from healing to dps without missing a step. While I'm not sure how welcome they are in PvP or Ops groups, I really enjoy the flexibility they have.

I really like the Commando Combat Medic.

Yeah, I know, they aren't the best healers in the game...trust me, I know...

What I like is the fact that the Combat Medic feels like a Hybrid right out of the gate. In Heroic groups while leveling, I can easily switch from healing to dps without missing a step. While I'm not sure how welcome they are in PvP or Ops groups, I really enjoy the flexibility they have.

When healing a HM op you don't get much opportunity to dps.

Aside from anything else, you can't do that much sustained damage.

When you've got FA, sticky, HiB and MV on CD you just have the slow cast CB (because ofc you cant waste points in the faster cast) which is a bit meh...

Or you can burn ammo on the spammable crap.

Edited by Gyronamics

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.