Another trilogy?

Kulraven

Interesting thing about this. A couple years back, GL gave an interview stating that he had rough drafts of episodes 7, 8 and 9 completed. In this interview, he outlined how and approximately when he would start the production of them.

What he stated was that first, he planned to re-release all of the movies in numerical order in an upgraded 3D format. The money made from these in the theater would be put towards the funding of the next projects. He stated that each of the 3D upgraded formats would be released on a schedule of one per year for 6 years.

The time line for episodes 7-9 was then stated to have nothing at all to do with any of the Skywalkers and to be set far enough after Jedi to not be linked to the first 6 directly. He decided to do this due to the fan backlash.

So far, it seems that the time frame given during that interview (sorry I do not recall where it was, exact date given, or reference to it) has so far been pretty much dead on to what was stated. I tend to wonder if he truly is done with SW all together. After all, it is his life.

Just some thoughts to through out and to contribute to the topic.

How, you cannot control property into perpetuity? Once he dies, someone/something will control the rights to the franchise, not Lucas. Its simply too much money for anyone to ignore.

He will come back as a wizened little bearded Force-ghost (my picture is of Salacious Crumb, just with a beard... I guess I need professional help), with the ability to Force Choke anyone who thinks about making any more SW movies...

But seriously, there are ways he can lock down the franchise in his will if he chooses to do so. This is a world that he created, and if he wants to take his toys home in a huff there is realistically no way for anyone to prevent it afaik.

I would like to see a triology maybe on another setting to be frank, or ratehr age. The old republic. Maybe telling the story of Nomi sunrider, from the start before she was a jedi, and until the end to the redemption of her former lover Ulic quel droma by training Nomis daughter.

This would encompass naturaly the rise or fall of Exar kun off course.

Im no lawyer of course, but I would be interested to know how long someone can control something after they die. Even if rights pass to his kids, kids have a tendency to think for themselves. And there is a ton of money involved.

As to why we want more movies...Movies seem to be the culmination of a story. The manifestation of a vision. Think Avengers. We have read and read Avengers stories for decades, but seeing it in live action was amazing!

As for Lucas, I cant think of another comparison of a person who is so hostile or opposed to the very people who built him (and vice versa). It is odd. Both sides love SW, but dont like each other at all.

Others are right - there are ways to keep an IP tied up - there's something about books and 50 years after death before they can go into the Public Domain. So long as Lucas keeps the rights passed down to other people/family he trusts, the IP will never be "in the open market." Unfortunately, that's the only way to see Episodes VII, VIII, and IX. Quite frankly, to make them any good anyway, they would have to be written and directly by someone other than Lucas - the series needs a fresh perspective.

As I stated above, the Prequels weren't THAT bad, and they made money. Unfortunately, the "Raider Nation" Star Wars fans went apenuts on George, and we saw how thin his skin really is. He emoRAGED on fans for a while, and refused to take responsibility for his bad writing and directing. Not to mention the film critics who pointed out that the PT wasn't nearly as good as the OT. In fact, one of the local headlines in the paper where I was living at the time said "The Magic Is Gone" above the review for Phantom Menace. Even then the movie STILL got 3 out of 5 stars from the reviewer. But George showed that he is incapable of taking constructive criticism.

The PT was the result of what I call the "Jurassic Park Effect." Once filmmakers saw what could be done with the use of CGI, script writing went all to hell. That's the big difference in quality between PT and OT - the PT's were written to showcase what CGI could do, while OT was written for the story to carry the films. Plus, he pretty much had backed himself into a corner with how much retconning he could have done in the PT - trying to squeeze 10-12 years worth of history into 6 hours and have it make sense with what was revealed in the OT would be tough for anyone to do.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

WHAT?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

THAT IS SO SELFISH!!!:mad:

Hows that selfish? The whole storyline of the movies is the Fall and Redemption of Anakin. You whingers in here claiming he "destroyed star wars" are one of the reasons he became the way he is. Its HIS movies, he can do whatever he wants with them.

Even HYPOTHETICALLY he made another trilogy after ROTJ your "precious" post-rotj EU would be wiped into oblivion. Lucas would NEVER base a movie on the EU. And that his come out and said Post-ROTJ wouldnt be how he would've continued it at all.

Interesting thing about this. A couple years back, GL gave an interview stating that he had rough drafts of episodes 7, 8 and 9 completed. In this interview, he outlined how and approximately when he would start the production of them.

What he stated was that first, he planned to re-release all of the movies in numerical order in an upgraded 3D format. The money made from these in the theater would be put towards the funding of the next projects. He stated that each of the 3D upgraded formats would be released on a schedule of one per year for 6 years.

The time line for episodes 7-9 was then stated to have nothing at all to do with any of the Skywalkers and to be set far enough after Jedi to not be linked to the first 6 directly. He decided to do this due to the fan backlash.

So far, it seems that the time frame given during that interview (sorry I do not recall where it was, exact date given, or reference to it) has so far been pretty much dead on to what was stated. I tend to wonder if he truly is done with SW all together. After all, it is his life.

Just some thoughts to through out and to contribute to the topic.

George apparently said recently he was done with big movies. But you may be right you never know, there is another minor thing - the Lucas - Cameron complex. Cameron always said he wanted his Star Wars, and despite his great successes he never had his Star Wars - hence we have Avatar. GL has always been a fan of special effects, his original movies changed the landscape in effects and the 2nd Trilogy also pushed boundaries in that no movie had featured so much blue screen CGI. These movies had stellar casting, Jackson, McGregor, Portman even they struggled with this new type of acting (I think Yoda won the award in those). Cameron absolutely started nailing the technique in addition to motion capture in Avatar

He isn't getting younger, but I wouldn't right off entirely Lucas taking another attempt using new technologies to finish off his great work. Besides there are alot of Nolans and Wheddons out there bringing back the best in Studio collaborations. The next decade could be it.