So is Pyrotech the way to go for PVP?

Achyuta

I just recently rolled a Powertech and am not sure which direction to go for PVP. I have a 50 Merc Pyro and loved it, but I understand Powertech is a different bird than Merc. So is Pyrotech the way to go for PVP?

Thanks. Guess I should have looked. I was looking for a quick answer. I'll look at these though. Thanks again!

There is no quick answer really, that's why I linked these threads.

Thanks. Guess I should have looked. I was looking for a quick answer. I'll look at these though. Thanks again!

The Quick Answer is play all three and find the one that suits you best. Pyro and AP are close to the same in damage put out. They just do it differently, and shield tech is pretty strong tank pvp.

In the end it comes down to playstyle and preference. I know some great AP guys and some great Pyro's. You will find more Pyro's out there because it's a bit of an easier handle once you get your rotation down. AP has more setup to do your burst, and Pyro is more RNG burst.

I am shieldtech and havnt looked back. The manouvability is great with the charge especially on multi tiered arenas.

It takes two to three people to take me down. Dps isnt that gimped either. With the boosts to rocket punch and railshot you might not be as strong as a dps class but you are sure not weak by any means.

Thing about Pyro is they melt faces and have taunts as well as grapple!

If you play Pyro and assist any DPS that target will go down super fast. Also healers will love you because you rotate taunts and peel for them!

The best part about Pyro is you can bring out the sadist in you especially against Sorcerers and Sages, they really stand next to no chance.

Pyro is for people who want to continually press 3-4 buttons and be good.

AP requires more thought and allows you to do more.

Never really bought into that argument.

I use IM, RS, FB, RP, TD, RapidShot, FT(less often than AP, but quite often), ED, DFA, Carbon, Energy Shield, Electro Dart, EF, Adrenal, relics, Grapple, Quell, Neural Dart, Sonic Missile, Determination, Vent Heat, Stealth Scan, TSO, KO, Medpack, and even Flame sweep sometimes. So that's at least 25 buttons.

In comparison to AP, Immolate and RB are a wash with IM/TD (although AP will use RB more than Pyro use IM), so really the only extra button AP uses is HO.

I wouldnt say AP requires more thought, but more "setup" for the PFT. One the other hand Pyro requires more heat management awareness.

Edited by Agooz

Pyro is for people who want to continually press 3-4 buttons and be good.

AP requires more thought and allows you to do more.

Apparently you havent played Pyro, if you are only using 3-4 buttons you are doing it wrong.

And to the OP, a well played pyro will ruin most any class in PvP. I have no problems taking on two at a time and winning. And the "marauders are OP" statement does not apply at Pyro. The only class I have any trouble with is Shadows/Assasins.

Never really bought into that argument.

I use IM, RS, FB, RP, TD, RapidShot, FT(less often than AP, but quite often), ED, DFA, Carbon, Energy Shield, Electro Dart, EF, Adrenal, relics, Grapple, Quell, Neural Dart, Sonic Missile, Determination, Vent Heat, Stealth Scan, TSO, KO, Medpack, and even Flame sweep sometimes. So that's at least 25 buttons.

In comparison to AP, Immolate and RB are a wash with IM/TD (although AP will use RB more than Pyro use IM), so really the only extra button AP uses is HO.

I wouldnt say AP requires more thought, but more "setup" for the PFT. One the other hand Pyro requires more heat management awareness.

This is correct, they both require the same amount of thought just one requires more setup. As AP, you never really worry or think about heat, as Pyro you never worry or think about Positioning.

AP is more mobile until PFT, but you need to be always thinking about setup and gap closing. In terms of awareness, It's a must for AP, because your optimum range is 4m.

Pyro is constantly mobile burst, but requires constant heat management while maximizing damage on target. It's optimum range is 10m and in.

Apparently you havent played Pyro, if you are only using 3-4 buttons you are doing it wrong.

And to the OP, a well played pyro will ruin most any class in PvP. I have no problems taking on two at a time and winning. And the "marauders are OP" statement does not apply at Pyro. The only class I have any trouble with is Shadows/Assasins.

Well you use an extra 2-3 at the start of a fight but I didn't count those.

Once they have been active you don't really have much to do.

AP requires and allows for much greater use of movement to your advantage. Anything involving movement is vastly more dynamic.

Well you use an extra 2-3 at the start of a fight but I didn't count those.

Once they have been active you don't really have much to do.

AP requires and allows for much greater use of movement to your advantage. Anything involving movement is vastly more dynamic.

If ANYTHING, Pyro allows you a greater movement leash. As an AP, you are more of a melee range dps.

This is correct, they both require the same amount of thought just one requires more setup. As AP, you never really worry or think about heat, as Pyro you never worry or think about Positioning.

AP is more mobile until PFT, but you need to be always thinking about setup and gap closing. In terms of awareness, It's a must for AP, because your optimum range is 4m.

Pyro is constantly mobile burst, but requires constant heat management while maximizing damage on target. It's optimum range is 10m and in.

This is the best way I've ever heard them compared. Completely logical, and exactly what is show in real world situations.

The only people who are mucking this up, are either A) 99% of the time Pyrotech players who have once or twice specc'd AP to try it out,. B) 99% of the time AP players who have once or twice spec'd Pyro to try it out and C) People who have never played the class at all...

I am shieldtech and havnt looked back. The manouvability is great with the charge especially on multi tiered arenas.

It takes two to three people to take me down. Dps isnt that gimped either. With the boosts to rocket punch and railshot you might not be as strong as a dps class but you are sure not weak by any means.

^ I enjoy ST in pvp, skip the shield/absorption boxes and go for the dps boost boxes and it's actually pretty good- been tampering with the Iron Fist build as well. I feel naked without jet charge as a powertech, devs should honeslty swap grapple and jet charge around.

Edited by Sookster

^ This.

Im a shield tech using 1/2 dps gear. I love it. The utility, survivability, and decent dps make me a pest in war zones. Like Razdek said, in multi-tierd games, its hard to keep a shield tech off you. Knocked back? Fine I'll jump to you. Rooted and you run away now? Fine, I'll grapple you back.

Enjoy 4-5 rocket punches per fight.

Pyros definatly melt faces off. For sure. But I can and have solo'd every class in the game running 26/13/2.

You won't be killing many operative healers though. ST vs OP healer is usually a 10 minute fight.

No way in hell. I would never trade grapple for jet charge.

I wholeheartedly agree. Grapple peels people too you and let's you throw people off edges. Jet charge just throws you into the group. Jet Charge is a total tank move.

The Quick Answer is play all three and find the one that suits you best. Pyro and AP are close to the same in damage put out. They just do it differently, and shield tech is pretty strong tank pvp.

That hasn't been my experience at all. Healers laugh at me when I'm AP specced.

That hasn't been my experience at all. Healers laugh at me when I'm AP specced.

Than you aren't playing it right. Trust me, Adrenals plus relics plus PFT will scare everyone. I enjoy stunning a healer and then barbequing the 3 teammates he has been healing than turning and immolate, rp, gut on him to pressure him into making a decision him or his teammates.

Than you aren't playing it right. Trust me, Adrenals plus relics plus PFT will scare everyone. I enjoy stunning a healer and then barbequing the 3 teammates he has been healing than turning and immolate, rp, gut on him to pressure him into making a decision him or his teammates.

Yeah it's possible I'm playing it wrong, I only tried it for a few days and didn't like it. My playstyle requires high burst damage, and AP felt much too "steady" to me. I'd definitely use it for PvE but I didn't like it for PvP. Also the PFT felt too gimmicky to me. It requires a lot of build up, and it sucks after all that build up to have it wasted because someone knocked you back or stunned you before you got all the ticks off.

If a change was made to where the AP spec Bounty Hunter was immune to all forms of CC while casting Flame Thrower I'd like the spec much more.

Yeah it's possible I'm playing it wrong, I only tried it for a few days and didn't like it. My playstyle requires high burst damage, and AP felt much too "steady" to me. I'd definitely use it for PvE but I didn't like it for PvP. Also the PFT felt too gimmicky to me. It requires a lot of build up, and it sucks after all that build up to have it wasted because someone knocked you back or stunned you before you got all the ticks off.

If a change was made to where the AP spec Bounty Hunter was immune to all forms of CC while casting Flame Thrower I'd like the spec much more.

The steady is a misnomer and popularized "theory" that is only proven by people who don't know how to CC Pyro's properly.

The steady is a misnomer and popularized "theory" that is only proven by people who don't know how to CC Pyro's properly.

Could you tell me why you prefer AP in PvP over Pyro and what your ideal rotation is? Also what don't you like about Pyro? Maybe I'm missing something and I can learn from someone who has used AP in Warzones much more than I have.

Pyrotech is potentially the best for PvP. The extra ranged allows you to position your target rather than reacting. Also, you can pretty much drop flame sweep from your rotation giving you more mobility and fewer channels. The extra speed boost in AP is nice but having the extra range damage and a instant rotation is more effective in PvP, especially with the amount of stuns and interrupts.

I've switched between the 2 trees 4 or so times now at lvl 50 and AP is alot of fun! I can understand why people say it requires more skill because it does feel more engaging, but I don't think this is the case. The sound effects of the AP RB are amazing though! I'm looking forward to a few changes in the AP to make it as effective as the Pyrotech because I would love to see it have some special edge on the competition, at the moment they are too obvious and unprotected. But having played both specs I'm pretty sure that for 1v1 or 1v2 pvp, the pyrotech wins hand down! Although you do have to pay attention to your heat dissipation.

I suggest if you're lvling a new character then spec Pyro and then switch to AP in the early 40's when you can utilise a decent Spec and have time enough to learn it before hitting 50. Pyro works alot better at low lvls in PvP.

The reduction you can spec on the AP Quell is amazing, 6 second CD on a interrupt/silence that keeps your target confused. This is massive when in melee range and on the move!

Check out this Video of the Pyrotech Endgame PvP

Edited by Lorcen

Could you tell me why you prefer AP in PvP over Pyro and what your ideal rotation is? Also what don't you like about Pyro? Maybe I'm missing something and I can learn from someone who has used AP in Warzones much more than I have.

I prefer AP because it has more dynamics than run up and punch. I hate RNG. I absolutely hate watching my procs waiting for the perfect time to time everything out because I got my RNG to proc. I hated Pyro for just those reasons. I felt like I wasn't watching anything but my little action bar.

I rolled AP and suddenly everything opened up. I had to watch my environment, learn to los, I could kite effectively. I could switch between defensive and offensive quickly with CC usages. I play the Norse spec and though the attacks are boring it's Immolate fbx4 RB - PFT. The key is to keep mobile, strafe move in circles and keep firing until pft than stop and fire.

It throws everyone off when you suddenly switch from moving to stationary until bam they are getting fried. There are some irritating aspects to AP, but I have never once felt underpowered. Especially once I realized Pyro's are essentially one trick ponies who you can split their damage up so it doesn't hurt.

It's annoying to be CC'd out of PFT, but it's funny when People try to interrupt it. I will give Pyro the benefit of that sick TD/RS/RP/RS combo, but I will take constantly hammering people to standing around waiting for it to proc. It's a matter of preference, and it only irritates me when people claim Pyro is the king of pvp as though this is 1.1 again . They used to be crazy powerful, but since 1.2 gave AP a much needed slow, and reduced the RNG of Pyro the game has balanced itself out. You can choose based on playstyle now.

Edited by TheOpf