What SWTOR is

Sarfux

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What then does WOW have a better story to it than SWTOR? I have played WOW and it really didn't make any sense at all due to the fact that i hadn't been playing since it first came out. How does this game not immerse you into a story? How is it not an adventure?

I'm on Alderaan with my imperial agent and I really couldn't care less what happens next. So I'm not engaged there.

In beta the smuggler story was so obnoxious ("lol you left your keys in your parked ship" to "lol you just missed your ship, do stuff for me and I'll tell you where he went" to "lol you just missed your ship, do stuff for me and I'll tell you where he went" to "lol you just missed your ship, do stuff for me and I'll tell you where he went") that I just stopped playing.

The most interesting story I've come across is Inquisitor (I start as a slave and am forced to study the Force? Does this mean I get to address whether I even WANT to, or how I feel about the Empire? That would be cool.)... but from what I hear the story doesn't address any of that stuff, it's just predictable Sith betrayal and pursuit of power garbage.

The story element in this game really isn't all that great... or even good.

Edited by leathfuil

Then, when the OP was made I would have been all agreeing with the story having such a huge impact...

But on my 3rd character I was done. Didn't care and couldn't get into stories and I tried different classes. I found out that I just didn't care. The story wasn't worth the grind. It's nice but it wears thin.

Also I wasn't going to hop onto the lame gear treadmill and I'm not dealing with any MMO whose endgame is to chase a carrot on a stick. Been there, done that. Worthless.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first MMO that I hardcorely played (Been a casual my whole gaming life) and I just rolled another Guardian FROM SCRATCH on a different server. AND STILL ENJOYED STORY AND WARZONES AND FLASHPOINTS.

I dunno if it's just the game or my being so content of what I do or have, or the game really satisfies me so much that I wanted to stay for good.

Star Wars The Old Republic is a different type of mmo

It's the type of mmos built for the people who love story. For the people who love choices that affect them and their decision making processes. For the people that like to get immersed in a universe that is Star Wars. For the people that just want to adventure.

It's the type of game that you must like story in your games to enjoy and....get. You must like story and get immersed in the story line and think of everything going on in your head at every moment. You must really think and get into it to enjoy it. Every time you start a new adventure, even though it's the same amount of choices each time, you get immersed in it. I do anyway, and know a lot of people that do also. Everytime it's different, not just because you can choose different choices each time to see the people's responses, but because you can immerse yourself in different ways throughout the story. You get attached to your character via your choices and dark/light alignment. Pertaining to what you have just chosen.

Just like Knights of the Old Republic. That's what the replayability is with BioWare's game. The story and responses. The type of responses you get from people depending on what you choose. The type of ways you can manipulate people or help them that you didn't before. I think it's even better knowing the story and say to yourself "hey..I didn't help this guy before, I'm going to help him now with the power stations" then you decide to help him and later on he sends some guy to someone else and you meet up with his dad or something on another planet. That's the cool thing about this game. Choice

BioWare has set a new standard I believe for ...this type of mmos. It's not the same mmo as wow, aion, rift or anything like that. BioWare came out with THEIR OWN type of mmo. Yes, the interface and tools are the same as those games because that's the type of UI and stuff people are used to and like a lot. Just the more customizable, the better. Every mmo has their own types of things in it that innovates in areas. TOR innovated in story, voice acting, decisions and companions. It was advertised as a story based mmorpg with voice acting set in the Star Wars universe. That's EXACTLY what we got.

All other things were just built on hype by the people. Yes, BioWare made themselves look better in some areas, but what company doesn't try to sell it? :) People wanted something different but...not TOO different. That is what I believe this game is. It is being it's OWN thing. Yes, it has things based off World of Warcraft but also other mmos because that's what mmos do. Build off the previous things that were successful and put their own spin on them to make them unique in their own way. It is then up to the players to decide whether they like them or not. It doesn't matter how subscriptions a game has. It matters the quality of the player base, the quality of the content, the quality of the customer service along with the quality of replayability along with the loyalty of the fan base and the IP.

BioWare, I believe is on the right track now. They don't seem to be slipping anymore because all these things that people want are coming to TOR in a good amount of time. The LFG tool which A LOT want..is going to be well done in 1.3 I think and be more defined in it's image than in other mmos. The game is just going get update after update after update and just keep growing and getting everything people want. We can only look to the future. It looks as though BioWare is delivering on a great many things.

I can't wait to see what the next months and years brings for this game. I can't wait to see guild ship battles. Standing on my ship and looking out the window at another who is close and choose whether to hail them and fire, or settle it peacefully. I can see it just how it happens like the Black Talon or Esseles. Standing looking at the enemy ship firing at you and the guild can board your ship and you board theirs. First one to destroy the other ship wins. Or you can run. That would be COOL. I believe that is all coming along with open space pvp . There will many planets in this game in the future with smuggling paths that smugglers can actually smuggle and being able to put bounties on people's heads. THAT would be fun. I think everyone would play a Bounty Hunter then :p I know I would. Make it like the EVE system! just...more refined. :)

Just keep taking your time BioWare. Lots of us have patience. Those who are playing this game know it's not a rush to level cap game to get a bunch of gear and do raid after raid after raid after raid to get...more gear. This is a game of story, immersion, no matter HOW LONG it takes to reach level cap, don't worry about it. I know it's hard because every mmo before this has been a rush to level cap to prove to everyone how awesome you are. You even like proving to yourself "ahhh..made it to level cap, this is cool" instead of just doing that say to yourself, "i wonder how I can change this up" or anything like that in the moment, in your story :) I love having my choices in mmos so I can choose to say something or not and have people like or hate me. Having IN MY HEAD a different set of decisions EACH TIME and have the story be different FOR ME each time.

It is all in your head to everyone. Don't think of how many levels you just gained. Turn off your xp bar and just...enjoy the story. Now..I KNOW it's hard to not press the spacebar sometimes because ...something is there...just telling you PRESS ME!! DON'T. Trust me on this! You will thank me later. You will find the game MUCH MORE appealing than you ever did before. It is hard, but if you challenge yourself on this level. You will continue to want to challenge yourself on others within this game. (pst..why do you think they gave you the option to disable the xp bar in interface editor :p ) It is hard to for some, but just sit down, crack your knuckles, crank your sound up and just....let go. Don't think about anything else except TOR when you are in TOR. Just go with the flow. Zone out in the game.

That is what SWTOR is. A game ...not for your average mmo player. I believe it's for a unique breed of people who enjoy well written stories who want to select what they can say to see other people's reactions. It is for people who love single player games but still want that...feeling...of meeting new people in an mmo world. It is for people who like BioWare games and ESPECIALLY kotor people. I can play this game for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours locked in a room and it be a different experience each time I start a different character. SWTOR is it's own game. Just like every other game is. Look past what this game has from others, and see what it offers for itself, and for the future. :)

Funniest post of THE YEAR! :D

Any new players may want to hunt you down shortly after reading this & playing the game, that's if they work out it's the same game. It sure doesn't sound like it! Lol. :o

It's been almost a year. We got 2 new ops, 1 warzone, 2 flashpoints, 2 world events, no story extensions and it's going free to play before the end of the year (and before it reaches the ripe old age of a one year old).

Glad I got the CE as a gift.

• 2 weeks later...
"For the people that just want to adventure."

I think your definition of adventure, and my definition of adventure are different.

Going along a straight line isn't my sense of adventure. Many of the maps are designed so they are LITERALLY a straight line.

I stopped reading after that. I'll admit, I browsed it. You basically say that it's for people who like stories. I LOVE stories. Example, I love Final fantasy because of its stories.

This IS a bad game. There are so many flaws, I'm not going to begin to list them here. It's not a matter of opinion. This game is flawed, and it's a bad game. Look, I had fun while leveling and thought the story was the best part. But looking at it from an objective stance, it's a bad game.

Just because you have fun playing something, doesn't mean it can't still be a bad game.

QFT This guy knows what's up!

Star Wars The Old Republic is a different type of mmo

It's the type of mmos built for the people who love story. For the people who love choices that affect them and their decision making processes. For the people that like to get immersed in a universe that is Star Wars. For the people that just want to adventure.

It's the type of game that you must like story in your games to enjoy and....get. You must like story and get immersed in the story line and think of everything going on in your head at every moment. You must really think and get into it to enjoy it. Every time you start a new adventure, even though it's the same amount of choices each time, you get immersed in it. I do anyway, and know a lot of people that do also. Everytime it's different, not just because you can choose different choices each time to see the people's responses, but because you can immerse yourself in different ways throughout the story. You get attached to your character via your choices and dark/light alignment. Pertaining to what you have just chosen.

Just like Knights of the Old Republic. That's what the replayability is with BioWare's game. The story and responses. The type of responses you get from people depending on what you choose. The type of ways you can manipulate people or help them that you didn't before. I think it's even better knowing the story and say to yourself "hey..I didn't help this guy before, I'm going to help him now with the power stations" then you decide to help him and later on he sends some guy to someone else and you meet up with his dad or something on another planet. That's the cool thing about this game. Choice

BioWare has set a new standard I believe for ...this type of mmos. It's not the same mmo as wow, aion, rift or anything like that. BioWare came out with THEIR OWN type of mmo. Yes, the interface and tools are the same as those games because that's the type of UI and stuff people are used to and like a lot. Just the more customizable, the better. Every mmo has their own types of things in it that innovates in areas. TOR innovated in story, voice acting, decisions and companions. It was advertised as a story based mmorpg with voice acting set in the Star Wars universe. That's EXACTLY what we got.

All other things were just built on hype by the people. Yes, BioWare made themselves look better in some areas, but what company doesn't try to sell it? :) People wanted something different but...not TOO different. That is what I believe this game is. It is being it's OWN thing. Yes, it has things based off World of Warcraft but also other mmos because that's what mmos do. Build off the previous things that were successful and put their own spin on them to make them unique in their own way. It is then up to the players to decide whether they like them or not. It doesn't matter how subscriptions a game has. It matters the quality of the player base, the quality of the content, the quality of the customer service along with the quality of replayability along with the loyalty of the fan base and the IP.

BioWare, I believe is on the right track now. They don't seem to be slipping anymore because all these things that people want are coming to TOR in a good amount of time. The LFG tool which A LOT want..is going to be well done in 1.3 I think and be more defined in it's image than in other mmos. The game is just going get update after update after update and just keep growing and getting everything people want. We can only look to the future. It looks as though BioWare is delivering on a great many things.

I can't wait to see what the next months and years brings for this game. I can't wait to see guild ship battles. Standing on my ship and looking out the window at another who is close and choose whether to hail them and fire, or settle it peacefully. I can see it just how it happens like the Black Talon or Esseles. Standing looking at the enemy ship firing at you and the guild can board your ship and you board theirs. First one to destroy the other ship wins. Or you can run. That would be COOL. I believe that is all coming along with open space pvp . There will many planets in this game in the future with smuggling paths that smugglers can actually smuggle and being able to put bounties on people's heads. THAT would be fun. I think everyone would play a Bounty Hunter then :p I know I would. Make it like the EVE system! just...more refined. :)

Just keep taking your time BioWare. Lots of us have patience. Those who are playing this game know it's not a rush to level cap game to get a bunch of gear and do raid after raid after raid after raid to get...more gear. This is a game of story, immersion, no matter HOW LONG it takes to reach level cap, don't worry about it. I know it's hard because every mmo before this has been a rush to level cap to prove to everyone how awesome you are. You even like proving to yourself "ahhh..made it to level cap, this is cool" instead of just doing that say to yourself, "i wonder how I can change this up" or anything like that in the moment, in your story :) I love having my choices in mmos so I can choose to say something or not and have people like or hate me. Having IN MY HEAD a different set of decisions EACH TIME and have the story be different FOR ME each time.

It is all in your head to everyone. Don't think of how many levels you just gained. Turn off your xp bar and just...enjoy the story. Now..I KNOW it's hard to not press the spacebar sometimes because ...something is there...just telling you PRESS ME!! DON'T. Trust me on this! You will thank me later. You will find the game MUCH MORE appealing than you ever did before. It is hard, but if you challenge yourself on this level. You will continue to want to challenge yourself on others within this game. (pst..why do you think they gave you the option to disable the xp bar in interface editor :p ) It is hard to for some, but just sit down, crack your knuckles, crank your sound up and just....let go. Don't think about anything else except TOR when you are in TOR. Just go with the flow. Zone out in the game.

That is what SWTOR is. A game ...not for your average mmo player. I believe it's for a unique breed of people who enjoy well written stories who want to select what they can say to see other people's reactions. It is for people who love single player games but still want that...feeling...of meeting new people in an mmo world. It is for people who like BioWare games and ESPECIALLY kotor people. I can play this game for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours locked in a room and it be a different experience each time I start a different character. SWTOR is it's own game. Just like every other game is. Look past what this game has from others, and see what it offers for itself, and for the future. :)

Yes it has such an awesome story when you are on the final fight in the sorcerer class quest and the sound glitches so you can't hear any of the dialog.

Yes that really happened to me and see the story is great but with all the glitches and bugs this game has that they ignore you can't enjoy it.

This game is like buying a really pretty landrover with all the luxury options and pulling out of the parking lot only to have the electrical system go out and the engine blow a gasket. You can paint a lemon any color but it's still a lemon.

and United States is just a Republic on a different land

and Burger King is just another McDonalds

and adidas is just another Nike

and fries are just another type of potato

and every chevy truck is another ford truck

and every car has a motor, gas pedal, steering wheel, radio, carpets, windshield

get my point? If you MAKE yourself look at everything is the same as the thing before it of COURSE your mind is going to see everything being the same and it's not going to allow you to see the cool things the newer thing has. Be positive, not negative. Like I said...this is a game for a different breed.

Really..you come here to post this junk..and then flame everyone who doesnt agree with your interpretation this game. Everyone who has played the game says the same thing....once you do the story / level the first time..its painfully to do again on alts..no difference,,same boring crap. I play other mmo's..will play gw2..play TSW atm..and yes..they all have storys....nothing new here..choices dont matter. glad you enjoy the game..and your right..its not for everyone.

Edited by LightForse

The shame lies in the fact that some people need to be told this, because they refuse to figure it out and just admit, this is not their type of MMO, meaning the game is not 'bad', it is simply not to their tastes.

That would require accepting responsibility for one's own behavior or decisions.

Not going to happen very often. Easier to blame someone else.

• 1 month later...
I think this next upcoming year will prove to many people what SWTOR is all about. I have a strong feeling SWTOR is about to get a whole lot larger. This next year upcoming will hopefully be a great year for SWTOR and hopefully put MMOs back on the map. I haven't given up hope yet, and if what I am hearing is true, this game is about to soar!

The shame lies in the fact that some people need to be told this, because they refuse to figure it out and just admit, this is not their type of MMO, meaning the game is not 'bad', it is simply not to their tastes.

This. I noticed this pre-launch as well. This game isn't really made for the average MMO player and it's not made by a company that even really makes multiplayer games. It's made for single-player gamers that want a handful of MMO features.

Expanding on a point made in the quoted comment, no game is really "bad" if it's just not for you. The game works. It's functional, it has most simplistic features, I feel that it is producing endgame content at a much faster pace than I can or want to keep up with, and the stories are quite good. If you don't want story, then don't play a story-driven game. You will be disappointed when whatever you're looking for isn't there.

I think this next upcoming year will prove to many people what SWTOR is all about. I have a strong feeling SWTOR is about to get a whole lot larger. This next year upcoming will hopefully be a great year for SWTOR and hopefully put MMOs back on the map. I haven't given up hope yet, and if what I am hearing is true, this game is about to soar!

If all goes well, I hope so to friend ;)

The more I play through ToR, the less I believe BioWare has set a new standard for the MMO genre in terms of storytelling.

Once you realize that none of your choices matter, and that most every conversation with any given NPC is usually comprised of nothing more than the NPC's soliloquy interrupted by quips from the player character, you find that this new setup of cinematic dialogue BioWare has created really hasn't raised the bar. You are still, in essence, just reading quest text from a text box, in a different format. Your character has little, if any, input, aside from how many light or dark side points you choose to gain, and how much affection you choose to gain or lose with your companion.

As many players know, you can hit the "escape" key to exit a conversation without completing it. Go ahead, start a new character, and play through every conversation, escaping out and replaying it choosing different options every time. At best, the NPC reacts slightly differently to your chosen answer, then continues their monologue. At worst, they completely ignore what your character said, and continue their monologue. This is not player choice. I want to feel as if my choices are being taken notice of, and in that regard BioWare's storytelling fails miserably to set any kind of new standard. I might as well not have choices at all, as if I were playing any other MMO.

Those who oppose my view may call attention to those quests where you get to make a major light or dark decision, which alters the outcome of the quest. To take an early game example, you can choose to kill the engineers on the Esseles, or save them. You can choose to kill the ambassador, or save her. You'll notice, however, that nothing changes about the mission, itself. These choices are mere illusion. Does your reward differ if you choose one or the other? No. Is there a significant immediate impact based on your decision? No (you gain access to the bridge either way, and you successfully warp away and escape, no matter your decision.) These decisions are included not to actually have choices which matter, but are included only as fluff. There are no two choices in all or SW:ToR of which one offers failure while the other succes; and there are no two choices where one will not grant equal (if not identical) rewards regardless your choice.

And perhaps that is all we ever could have expected from BioWare. Given their most recent track record with Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, it really would appear as if the only choices you can make are very superficial ones, which won't have a lasting impact on later stories in the campaign. Well, except the letters you receive in the mail (but even those messages offer the same amount of credits, or the same type of item, no matter the choice you made during the mission.) I should note that this is directly in contrast to what BioWare promised us in ToR, reasurring us, "Don't worry, these choices will all come back to have an impact later in your character's story." I have yet to see that.

I will, in closing, point out a shining moment for BioWare, and that is the ending of Mass Effect 2. The complexity of the life/death scenario for all of your companions during the final mission did not disappoint, and it did truly feel as if my actions during the game had an impact on the finale. This, to me, was the pinnacle of BioWare's storytelling, at least insofar as "having choices matter" is concerned. It's a shame ME3 took the exact opposite approach, where none of my decisions I had ever made in any of the 3 games mattered to the final scene.

-Macheath.

SWTOR is the best multiplayer RPG masquerading as an MMO that I have ever played.

All joking aside, SWTOR is an MMO in my opinion. The defining moment it became one, for me anyway, was when the servers were merged. Finally, enough people playing to make it feel like it was populated with more than just a few bystanders.

To me its a very personal game, with impersonal aspects. The storyline and sound make it a very personal experience, as do some of the specials and the limited physics in play, but the lack of personalization kills that a bit.

I strongly believe the game has a LONG way to go before it gets a sense of itself.

The more I play through ToR, the less I believe BioWare has set a new standard for the MMO genre in terms of storytelling.

Once you realize that none of your choices matter, and that most every conversation with any given NPC is usually comprised of nothing more than the NPC's soliloquy interrupted by quips from the player character, you find that this new setup of cinematic dialogue BioWare has created really hasn't raised the bar. You are still, in essence, just reading quest text from a text box, in a different format. Your character has little, if any, input, aside from how many light or dark side points you choose to gain, and how much affection you choose to gain or lose with your companion.

As many players know, you can hit the "escape" key to exit a conversation without completing it. Go ahead, start a new character, and play through every conversation, escaping out and replaying it choosing different options every time. At best, the NPC reacts slightly differently to your chosen answer, then continues their monologue. At worst, they completely ignore what your character said, and continue their monologue. This is not player choice. I want to feel as if my choices are being taken notice of, and in that regard BioWare's storytelling fails miserably to set any kind of new standard. I might as well not have choices at all, as if I were playing any other MMO.

Those who oppose my view may call attention to those quests where you get to make a major light or dark decision, which alters the outcome of the quest. To take an early game example, you can choose to kill the engineers on the Esseles, or save them. You can choose to kill the ambassador, or save her. You'll notice, however, that nothing changes about the mission, itself. These choices are mere illusion. Does your reward differ if you choose one or the other? No. Is there a significant immediate impact based on your decision? No (you gain access to the bridge either way, and you successfully warp away and escape, no matter your decision.) These decisions are included not to actually have choices which matter, but are included only as fluff. There are no two choices in all or SW:ToR of which one offers failure while the other succes; and there are no two choices where one will not grant equal (if not identical) rewards regardless your choice.

And perhaps that is all we ever could have expected from BioWare. Given their most recent track record with Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, it really would appear as if the only choices you can make are very superficial ones, which won't have a lasting impact on later stories in the campaign. Well, except the letters you receive in the mail (but even those messages offer the same amount of credits, or the same type of item, no matter the choice you made during the mission.) I should note that this is directly in contrast to what BioWare promised us in ToR, reasurring us, "Don't worry, these choices will all come back to have an impact later in your character's story." I have yet to see that.

I will, in closing, point out a shining moment for BioWare, and that is the ending of Mass Effect 2. The complexity of the life/death scenario for all of your companions during the final mission did not disappoint, and it did truly feel as if my actions during the game had an impact on the finale. This, to me, was the pinnacle of BioWare's storytelling, at least insofar as "having choices matter" is concerned. It's a shame ME3 took the exact opposite approach, where none of my decisions I had ever made in any of the 3 games mattered to the final scene.

-Macheath.

This was well put and It's true that the one thing lacking story wise in SW:TOR(At least imho) is seeing the effect of choices you made; the esseles being a good example, but, something you have to understand is SW:TOR wasn't out to revolutionize story telling in RPGs, it was out to revolutionize story telling for MMORPG's which for the most part it did. This game being an MMO puts limits on what they can pull off story wise as it pertains to there being drastically different results from your choices.

And that comes from the fact that the stories/quests aren't open world, It's not out there for some to do and then others to see because then it would have to reset eventually and it would just take away even more from the immersion, so you see, making drastic changes to what happens by choices can't happen on a grand scale in an MMO without it just being seen as even more worthless/meaningless.

You using esseles made a good point on the choices just being a fluff and not changing much ultimately, which is true and the case for a lot of the stories/mission in TOR, but think back to KotOR and tell me how many choices you made would drastically change any thing that was going to happen ultimately...exactly most of the big choices were moral instead of open world changeable.

So in SW:TOR here's in perspective who the players are playing: these are the people in SW history who filled these roles either as the Trooper or Sith Warrior, Jedi Consular etc etc basically the way It's set up is history has forgotten their names...their race...their gender and what have you but ultimately in history there was a Jedi Knight who did this...and there was a Smuggler who accomplished this and vis versa so we are, as players, filling the void with who these people are(In the way we want) we're playing as the many myths and legends that were made about these people you could say, we aren't meant to shape any thing on a grand scale.

Ultimately I do hope they had more consequence for choices but with all of this in mind the story is one of the strongest points of the game and I wouldn't play it without it, that, and the fact that It's Star wars.

Edited by Sedi

There are ways to have YOUR game shaped by your choices, without affecting others, even in an MMO setting. There are ways to code in NPCs that show up on your screen, but not others, without using the "green forcefield" system BioWare has implemented heavily in their game for such moments.

TERA Online constantly has NPCs appearing and disappearing for quests, and these NPCs are only viewable by players on that quest. They accomplish this in the open world, not in instances. BioWare could have taken a similar approach, to allow certain NPC's to "die" in my story while living in other player's campaigns; or even go so far as to have entire towns and outposts change factions depending on your actions. All of this is possible without even using instances, if BioWare truly wanted to do such things. It was their choice not to.

The fact of the matter is, BioWare made promises which they did not even come close to delivering on. Story choices in earlier missions were supposed to have an effect on later missions, which they do not. Multiple outcomes to missions depending on your choices were promised, but not delivered. Simply put, if they did not intend to include such features, then they shouldn't have promised those features. They chose their own rhetoric, spun their own hype. This was one of the few things they were willing to talk about throughout the development of ToR, and they did so enthusiastically. The only reason any of us thought the huge production budget might be worth it is because we envisioned a game where BioWare made good and delivered what they talked about. Without taking it to that level, I just can't see how the huge dollar figure dedicated to creating the story is justified.

-Macheath.

The exact same thing could be said about the Phantom Menace. Is it the fan's fault for hating it or is it George's fault for grossly misreading his followers?

now, now,,,"hate "is a strong word,,,but george had no money for that,,

so he made a discount star wars movie,,,just like the first,,but without

most of its qualities,,and it really is a phantom menace to him

Maybe I missed the sarcasm but I'm pretty sure the money available to make the Phantom Menace was infinity + 1.