Will you pay for a server transfer?

Skyzen

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To start with... No we should not have to. I want to reunite my characters on the same server because i was forced to reroll due to dead servers and i shouldnt have to pay for that... But after a year or so and the population issues have settled and everyone has had an opportunity to set themselves up i would mind paying consider it takes a person to physically move it... Apparently.

To those of you that created thread after thread after thread, QQ about queue times and not being able to logon..

I told you so..

Bioware did not over do it and had no way of knowing how many servers to make.. We the community cried and cried about queue times in the first few weeks of this game.. We created this mess.. This is our doing.. Bioware didn't have a crystal ball to know many servers to make.. They didn't know how many people would stop playing.. We should have shown some patience and known that the population levels would settle down after the first free month was over.. Did any of you listen when countless people asked for patience?? Nope.. You didn't.. We told you so..

I will pay for a transfer if I choose to transfer.. Right now I am happy on the server that my guild was placed on.. I have great guild.. I am raiding multiple times a week.. 4 times so far this week.. I have a ready made group for anything.. Be it hard modes or world bosses.. I doubt I am gonna want a transfer. But I would pay if I did..

Edited by MajikMyst

<snip>.. We created this mess.. This is our doing.. <snip>

Bioware made the decision to open new servers at the beginning, Bioware made the decision of how many server to open, and Bioware had the technology and decision on how many concurrent users could be logged into a single server. It was entirely, 100%, not even a grey area here, Bioware's decision and responsibility. The users never had access to the servers or the code or any tool at all to control server populations. Bioware chose, from the beginning, to not allow server transfers and to not give the player population any control over server populations. To say it's the player's fault, even though they were denied the ability to take responsibility for themselves, is weak and disrespectful to the player base.

It's not just a matter of principle here. Bioware gets another chance to decide what direction to take their company. Are they going to own up to their mistakes and their responsibility? Are the going to prioritize their customer's enjoyment of their game? If they decide not to, I think it should be expected by any who stick around that they will intend to continue to fleece you.

I think it is a difficult decision for Bioware to have to make at this point. They've already lost the strong subscription base they were counting on. So can they be profitable with what they have left? Is there anything they can do to retain what they have or are they going to continue to bleed accounts? Maybe microtransactions on the few accounts that will stay through anything is the only way for them to stay afloat, or maybe it's pressure from EA.

Either way, I really hope the FAQ tomorrow will let us know what direction they want to go so I can make an informed decision on whether to continue investing my time and money. As it is, I don't think I have much faith left that they are interested in their customer's enjoyment of their product. No response at all from Bioware, or another "we'll tell you about it soon. We're not ready to release that information but keep giving us money for your subscription and it might pay off" is going to sound the same as "we don't give a **** anymore. please unsub."

We have too pay cuz Bioware and EA are kinda ''Greedy'' :)

But eles no we are already paying.

:rolleyes:

We'll have to pay (after the free transfers, and the after that the free "promotional" transfers...doesn't sound greedy to me) for transfers because it's the standard model. Not because of some nefarious plot to steal our hard-earned money...

:rolleyes:

We'll have to pay (after the free transfers, and the after that the free "promotional" transfers...doesn't sound greedy to me) for transfers because it's the standard model. Not because of some nefarious plot to steal our hard-earned money...

Here is a link to how Tera is handling the same problem SWTOR faces.

I don't play any other MMOs, so I don't have the 20 year history some of you claim and perhaps I don't understand this as well as I think I do. If so, please feel free to explain why my reasoning is wrong here. I don't think saying "we have to copy WoW" or "this is what was done 5 years ago" counts as "standard." I would suggest that since Tera is allowing free transfers to stabilize their server populations implies that a) there are other titles in the industry doing this and b) it's a reasonable solution to implement. I do not consider asking to the player base to pay to fix a problem the developer created to be standard. Perhaps server transfers for the sake of convenience is standard, but paying for server transfers to fix population is not.

I'm posting because the proposed transfer on rails doesn't fix my problem, which is character across multiple servers, but the Tera solution would potentially help me. If SWTOR chose to implement Tera's solution, I would be able to enjoy their product more as would the guy from marketing alluded to on Tera's website.

Here is a link to how Tera is handling the same problem SWTOR faces.

I don't play any other MMOs, so I don't have the 20 year history some of you claim and perhaps I don't understand this as well as I think I do. If so, please feel free to explain why my reasoning is wrong here. I don't think saying "we have to copy WoW" or "this is what was done 5 years ago" counts as "standard." I would suggest that since Tera is allowing free transfers to stabilize their server populations implies that a) there are other titles in the industry doing this and b) it's a reasonable solution to implement. I do not consider asking to the player base to pay to fix a problem the developer created to be standard. Perhaps server transfers for the sake of convenience is standard, but paying for server transfers to fix population is not.

I'm posting because the proposed transfer on rails doesn't fix my problem, which is character across multiple servers, but the Tera solution would potentially help me. If SWTOR chose to implement Tera's solution, I would be able to enjoy their product more as would the guy from marketing alluded to on Tera's website.

Yeah, you're misunderstanding what BioWare is going to do, then. Paid transfers are only going to be left here as a convenience after free transfers stabilizes the population. Paid will NOT come until all populations are adequate.

Once every destination server has a sustainable, adequate population, they're going to let use be able to transfer wherever we want for a fee. Which is standard with a playerbase larger than 250k. It prevents willy-nilly transfers, which would not be a favorable thing for a game like this one.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Yeah, you're misunderstanding what BioWare is going to do, then. Paid transfers are only going to be left here as a convenience after free transfers stabilizes the population. Paid will NOT come until all populations are adequate.

Once every destination server has a sustainable, adequate population, they're going to let use be able to transfer wherever we want for a fee. Which is standard with a playerbase larger than 250k. It prevents willy-nilly transfers, which would not be a favorable thing for a game like this one.

So you agree then that my problem with dead servers, specifically that I rerolled in search of an active population and that I would like my characters on a single server, will not be addressed by SWTOR and that other games in the industry are addressing the same problem in a manner that would have fixed my problem. Unless the FAQ coming out tomorrow suggest otherwise, I will not be able to consolidate my characters under the current plan.

So my problem, related to server population, is not going to be fixed for free, which is not an industry standard. Consolidating my characters onto a single server is not a convenience; it's a fix to server population balances that we have no control over. Only Bioware can fix it, and they're choosing not to. That is not common practice.

Only if it's to the fatman. I would not pay for a transfer to a realm that I was unsure how it's population would stable out, with fatman there are que's to get in nightly. If given the chance, i'd gladly pay 15 bucks to move there without having to reroll.

Here is how i see it if you have an active character on the server such as the fatman then you should be able to move your other chars over there for the legacy. It's only fair since 9 out of 10 people gave it up to play with other people.

So you agree then that my problem with dead servers, specifically that I rerolled in search of an active population and that I would like my characters on a single server, will not be addressed by SWTOR and that other games in the industry are addressing the same problem in a manner that would have fixed my problem. Unless the FAQ coming out tomorrow suggest otherwise, I will not be able to consolidate my characters under the current plan.

Now you're just purposely being obtuse. Yes, you will be able to consolidate your characters under the current plan.

So my problem, related to server population, is not going to be fixed for free, which is not an industry standard. Consolidating my characters onto a single server is not a convenience; it's a fix to server population balances that we have no control over. Only Bioware can fix it, and they're choosing not to. That is not common practice.

You don't know that. Very likely, your problem will be solved during the free promotional transfers that's going to happen after the initial free transfers.

Nope. I started a new character on Jedi Covenant the other day. I returned after about a 3 month break. I have a level 50 Juggernaut valor rank 48 on a PVP server that is now dead. Levelling is quite easy in this game so I see no reason why I would pay to transfer my Juggy. If the option is free, of coarse I would do it.

We have too pay cuz Bioware and EA are kinda ''Greedy'' :)

But eles no we are already paying.

Yes I am calling you out on this. I do not mean to be rude I am just curious. Why do you call them "greedy"? Bioware/EA are a company performing a service to the public which they charge a pre-determined cost for said service. You sign a digital agreement when you create an account for this game (you know that lengthy thing that you just scrolled to the bottom and clicked agree for? Come on! You know you didn't read it, lol). How does this make them greedy? They are just trying to make money. If you do not agree with it then the answer is quite simple... do not play. You do not have to play. I see no reason why anyone does aside from the entertainment value. My point is you aren't being forced to do anything and a company charging for their services is not "greedy". When you pay for something with cash at the store you typically wait for your change. Sure you could put the change into one of those little charity things once you get it but you do wait for your change regardless. Is it because you're greedy? No. It is your money. They aren't going to say "Oh you wanted your change?" Don't call a company greedy unless you have evidence to back up the claim.

Now you're just purposely being obtuse. etc.etc.

I was not being obtuse; just trying to clarify my understanding of what we should be able to expect from Bioware in this attempt at server population balance, and since you said paid transfers are standard I was trying to relate this solution with what appears to me to be standard. In my opinion, I'm not looking for a "convenience" transfer, I'm looking for a solution to a problem. I apologize for coming across as obtuse, that was not my intent.

I have not seen anything from Bioware explaining how I will be able to consolidate my characters. I don't know how they will implement free targeted transfers. At this point I don't really trust them to make any good decisions because I feel they've let me and the player base down for the past few months, and I am concerned they will continue to do so. It is certainly possible that they do in fact have some sort of plan to help me out and improve my game experience. There is also a possibility that they have expanded on this issue, and I just missed it. I hope they address this in the FAQ tomorrow.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.