What is better Vanguard or Sniper?

SNUSman

I leveled both a bit and am trying to decide which one to continue? Which will net me groups better?

The 'what's better' threads grow really tedious, but the second part of your post I can answer. Is your server low on tanks based on messages in General chat, or dps? You can level both at the same time but often times Tanks are more desirable than mere dps. Anyone can do damage, that's the easiest job, not many people want the responsibility of holding all the threat however.

Try Vanguard first but if you're a fan of good burst, do Sniper.

I have played both and neither is "better"--they're two completely different classes.

Vanguard is very mobile, very up-close-and-personal, with some good AOE attacks but lackluster CC abilities and no DOT's.. If you go tank-spec, your damage input ranges from decent to poor. Tanking with a Vanguard can be tricky but is very fun as it requires a high degree of awareness of the whole battle and your skills. Done properly, you're very hard to kill--but you're not likely to be shredding through anyone.

Sniper, on the other hand, is in some ways much simpler: blast away at long range. Your rotation is generally simpler--cover, lase, snipe, ambush, and repeat--and you have a wider variety of CC's. While you are much less mobile than the Vanguard, you do have quality melee attacks for when the fighting gets too close. Your damage output is extremely good--but you are, however, extremely squishy.

While generally tanks are more desirable than pure DPS, there is a place for both and I would say you should play the class that suits your playstyle.

if your looking for pve grp play id go with the sniper highest dmg in pve easy and the story is amazing for pvp depends how your server looks like i prefer my pt (vang) in pvp much more then my slinger

most ppl prefer range dps in ops and that shield snipers bring is also a big bonus vang is more a melee player and dosnt do as much dmg as a good played sniper

Edited by mamosh

if your looking for pve grp play id go with the sniper highest dmg in pve easy and the story is amazing for pvp depends how your server looks like i prefer my pt (vang) in pvp much more then my slinger

most ppl prefer range dps in ops and that shield snipers bring is also a big bonus vang is more a melee player and dosnt do as much dmg as a good played sniper

wrong, marauder sorcs do the most dps in pve

Wrong, good players with good (appropriately modded)gear and a proper rotation do the most damage in PVE.

Ah, naivety. Equal gear/skill certain classes come out on top.. by a fair bit.. do your research and you'll realise biowares metrics are either non-existent or done by apes.

Vanguard and Sniper do similar DPS, but snipers eat melee in PvP and are great for their shield buff in PvE.

Vanguards can deal out some major burst damage in PvP, and have great DPS in PvE, plus have the option to tank (usually the most needed).

I'd probably go with Vanguard.

Both classes have unique play style and characteristics completely new in the genre, both the melee-range hybrid concept that vanguard is havent been done anywhere else successfully and the cover system is something new alltogether giving you something back for planting your feet in the ground.

I personally fill very clanky with the cover system as i far more enjoy mobility and have an offensive mind set as a player, while sniper is optimal for any defensive mindset, like area denial in pvp or defending objectives.

I have a 50 vanguard and a 50 sniper....

Apples and Oranges really...you are talking archetypes.

Do you prefer a tank or a DPS?

That's the real question here.

But yeah cover is a pain in the a** more hindrance than benefit.

Edited by Doxxs