Way too much Crit in WH set! (GS only - imbalance)

flem

So now that I'm 4/5 on set pieces plus the mainhand, I'm starting to look at the gearing path ahead: Trapper vs Targeter and so on.

One thing that's become glaringly clear is that we got the shaft in statting vs. Snipers. It's not that their mainhand has Surge -- we can switch to Field Medic if we want, or swap Targeter and Trapper to push more surge v. accuracy (and going all Trapper pushes into the major DR zone anyway). It's that both the Sniper mainhand and offhand have Power, whiles ours have Crit.

I had been going on the overall numbers from Dulfy's famous post. But they are totally wrong for Gunslingers, because her Imperial bias only looked at the Sniper loadout. Snipers get 187 Cunning and 102 Power from mainhand+offhand, while we get 174 Cunning, 122 Crit, and *zero* Power. That means that the full Trapper Slinger loadout has 206 Power and 423 Crit (vs 208/301 on a Sniper), while the full Targeter Slinger will have the same 206 Power and an absurd 463 (!!!) Crit (vs 208/341). Oh yeah, we'll also be short 13 Cunning.

The choices themselves (including other Smuggler guns) only affect balancing End/Cunning/Acc/Surge. There is no way to trade the excess Crit for the Power we're sorely lacking. I realize there are some mechanical differences between how one-weapon vs. two-weapon setups work, but I don't see any way that this affects the relative desirability of Crit vs. Power.

Bottom line: in order to get parity with our Imp mirror, we Gunslingers will either have to live with rank 25 mods in our weapons and not rank 26 (but that's not parity), OR buy *two* extra pairs of BM and WH boots -- one BM + one WH *for each gun* -- as *well* as the guns themselves, to rip the equivalent rank 26 mod/enhancements for our mis-statted guns. This is insane. We got shafted.

(Worst part? I'm not even sure how this can be fixed by Bioware. Everyone who has a WH gun ripped it into an augmented orange shell about ten seconds after buying it, and the mods are the same as those used in other WH pieces with Crit.)

Edited by flem

so you are saying that you will loose a duel to a sniper because of that?

Huh? This is basically never what a WZ comes down to. Plus I'm better than most Snipers. :p

I'm saying that I'll be noticeably worse equipped to help my team win than a full-WH Sniper. And the prospect of grinding for two tacked-on weeks just for the mods just to get to par is sapping my desire to keep warzoning even though I don't have problems killing anything atm. Guess I'll be gearing my gimpy Sage up.

Did you actually run the numbers to see what the expected dmg difference is? Have you considered the 2 blasters vs 1 rifle diff?

Been trying to, but haven't figured out how to get the spreadsheet to work without Excel. (LibreOffice chokes on it.)

I fail to see in the least how the weapon setup would make bonus damage *less* important and (rapidly diminishing return) crit % *more*. And I've never seen anyone present a stat-supported build with >400 Crit.

Edited by flem

So now that I'm 4/5 on set pieces plus the mainhand, I'm starting to look at the gearing path ahead: Trapper vs Targeter and so on.

One thing that's become glaringly clear is that we got the shaft in statting vs. Snipers. It's not that their mainhand has Surge -- we can switch to Field Medic if we want, or swap Targeter and Trapper to push more surge v. accuracy (and going all Trapper pushes into the major DR zone anyway). It's that both the Sniper mainhand and offhand have Power, whiles ours have Crit.

I had been going on the overall numbers from Dulfy's famous post. But they are totally wrong for Gunslingers, because her Imperial bias only looked at the Sniper loadout. Snipers get 187 Cunning and 102 Power from mainhand+offhand, while we get 174 Cunning, 122 Crit, and *zero* Power. That means that the full Trapper Slinger loadout has 206 Power and 423 Crit (vs 208/301 on a Sniper), while the full Targeter Slinger will have the same 206 Power and an absurd 463 (!!!) Crit (vs 208/341). Oh yeah, we'll also be short 13 Cunning.

Have you compared the stats in-game for both factions?

IMO given that the classes have mirrored mechanics (for the most part, and yes I know they have a Rifle and we have dual Blasters), there is no reason for the PVP gear to be statted differently.

So this could be an itemization issue.

Have you compared the stats in-game for both factions?

IMO given that the classes have mirrored mechanics (for the most part, and yes I know they have a Rifle and we have dual Blasters), there is no reason for the PVP gear to be statted differently.

So this could be an itemization issue.

Only on the GS side, and it started because I was noticing/projecting the stat accumulation on my own character. Currently I have all Power BM bits in my augmented offhand, and the WH offhands at the vendor are all Crit.

I haven't brought my Imp alt to the fleet to check it yet, but I will.

You are indeed correct about our weapons having far FAR too little power.

To correct the issue, I already have planned extra war hero pieces. Three to be exact. Two Field Tech Boots, and an Enforcer Headgear.

That's over 6000 rated warzone commendations to make up for the insane amount of crit they give Field Tech gear. I guess the developers don't understand that crit is for DF, power is for SS.

DF spec is more crit dependent and from what I've read doesn't effect bleed damage which is the core damage of the staple skill 'Wounding shots'.

So if you are specced something like 5/5/31 more crit/surge less power is not a bad thing! It also means more energy regen!

Edited by Dhregin
Grammatical Errors