How much do you enjoy your PT?

trevah

I've hit 50 on a sniper and a mara so I tend to value high DPS as well as relatively complex rotations with high reward. I've also considering expanding my range outside of simply pure DPS classes. I love PvP and PvE, but melting face in PvP/saving the day by defending a node > completing an op for me.

Is this the class for me?

Best looking animation, some of the coolest looking gear, 90% of your abilities are instant, high dps coupled with taunts and abilities to peel opponents off of healers, not carrying a glowstick, arguably best PvE tanks and/or one of the highest DPS in PvE, "played right" bad*$$ in PvP. What is there NOT to like?

I play the mirror, and enjoy it, even though the PT has better animations.

I would not call the rotation complex, but more of a timing and attention to detail exercise. The PT is somewhere in the middle between the sniper's ranged damage and the marauder's melee damage. Not the damage itself but rather the range at which you deliver it. You can begin your burst rotation from 30m, and move into melee. You can start in melee and begin kiting, though on a shorter leash than the sniper would.

Best looking animation, some of the coolest looking gear, 90% of your abilities are instant, high dps coupled with taunts and abilities to peel opponents off of healers, not carrying a glowstick, arguably best PvE tanks and/or one of the highest DPS in PvE, "played right" bad*$$ in PvP. What is there NOT to like?

My PT is my 3rd level 50 and its the funnest class I have played and puts out the most damage.

Compelling arguments, thanks guys.

Last question: PT or vanguard? Mainly in terms of story but I respect all input.

PS I play on swiftsure if that matters

PT has much better animation + first companion is a healer. I would never choose a class based on story, because after the story ends you're stuck with a level50. So you might as well make the choice based on things that are constant.

PT has much better animation + first companion is a healer. I would never choose a class based on story, because after the story ends you're stuck with a level50. So you might as well make the choice based on things that are constant.

I hear you, but I level slow and I'm trying my best to appreciate the work BW put into the story so I'm attempting to expose myself to the storyline as much as possible.

Im kind of fickle. Played a Sorc to 35, Mara to 20odd a few times and the only Toon thats kept my attention has been my powertech. Leveling is a great learning curve, you can actually look back and see your progression. Gear looks awesome. Companions are all great and all have their own uses. Bioware put some real effort into the BH storyline.

They only reason i would have played vanguard over PT would be the chance to get into a all trooper guild just for kicks, but other than that i would choose PT. From a low level you really feel you make a difference....and you can melt some serious face.

I hear you, but I level slow and I'm trying my best to appreciate the work BW put into the story so I'm attempting to expose myself to the storyline as much as possible.

Bounty Hunter story is more "you vs. world" type stuff. Pretty fun, hunting big targets and all. Trooper story is pretty much "Mass Effect". Gather an elite team of experts in their field and save the world. Also fun but...perhaps overused. You've seen the same story and military bravado before.

I'd recommend playing repub if you've only ever played Empire to see the other side of planets and quests. The companions are also more interesting for the trooper Imo.

LVL 50 PT Shield Tech. Love it.

I originally started with this toon, switched to marauder cuz I liked the glowly stick animations. After playing a pure melee class, I realized just how powerful my PT can be as a hybrid range/melee class.

My PT is now 7 pieces into his War Hero set, and I am one of the top tanks on the server. Together with a healer in PVP, I'm next to impossible to kill. I have a merc healer friend, and when we pvp together, we lol in vent when we hold 5 guys up on a node while our team caps the other 2. Happens all the time.

The versatility of the shield tech is what makes it so great for me. Decent damage mitigation with high health points. With the 2 stuns, 1 pull, 1 leap, and 1 interrupt...the shield tech can also be a healers nightmare. Hutball usefullness is up there with the best classes due to grapple and jet boost. AOE taunts and single target taunts + 20% accuracy reduction (if specced) + guard makes you a needed dps reducer...you can also be a healers best friend. Add in the fact you can also put out some decent dps as Iron Fist specced...then you have yourself one bad *** toon. IMO - all this makes the PT (shield tech) the best utility class in the game.

Confirmed by republic players on my server - I am a marked target in almost every match. And I love it.

Edited by mcgrace

I love it a lot. Great looking attacks and sfx especially compared to the equivalent of the Trooper. The only thing I don't like is the endgame armor. So far the Jedi Sentinel is the only other class I'm liking, but it's only at 19. I was enjoying the Gunslinger at first, but eventually I got tired of going into cover so often - makes me a little glad I leveled an Operative instead of Sniper.

So much so that being recruited to pub side I declined until Pub's have BH's. That's how much I love it.

In beta I leveled a merc/PT. I mean many of us do the BH because of Boba. So I wanted to see which Adv I would like more. Def the PT. And I haven't looked back.

I did level a tankasin just to see what all the fuss was about (yea OP as a tank spec). And now leveling sniper/war for buff (FFS could once you have 2 50's your class quest give more XP please? I mean who wants to do the same exact quests besides story 4 times or more? and no I won't level a pub right now).

it took me a while to roll a pt because i didnt enjoy them at first so had a scoundrel, slinger and merch first at 50 then i finaly lvled my pt and she has been my main since love the playstyle fast and deadly. healers love my taunts and pyro just looks awesome,

advance prototype is a nice ball carrier lacking a bit of the pyro burst but makes up for it with the 20% less dmg taken while stunned (in your face ops/scoudrels) and the immune to kb/root/push/pull on a really short cd

shieldtech unstopable in huttball charge and pull! and best tank for pve

so yes pt is tons of fun even in raids ppl loved my AP spec with the short interrupts and the nice dmg flametrower owns in pve =P