when does SWTOR become an MMO?

You obviously haven't been paying attention.

No, I assure you, I have.

I just don't feel so self-important, so "everything should be about pleasing ME, ALL THE TIME"

That I took it upon myself create groups and roll on a server that isn't dead.

I credit the 2 months of time away from the game as the reason I'm enjoying it more now than i did before. Re-roll without that "I'm losing all this progress" feeling, on a server with some population stability.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guess I should have mentioned my personal gaming history as well...

I played Ultima Online for 13 years from Dec 1997 until a few years ago when I finally sold my house off in Skara Brae Felucca

I played Everquest for about 8 years until I could no longer tolerate what LDON did to the game

I played World of Warcraft for 6.5 years until the Catastrophy that was Cataclysm came out

and Ive been playing Everquest 2 for about 2 years now........

In all of these games except Ultima Online which had no raiding I have been an endgame raider dedicating many many hours to developing teamwork and progressing etc etc I know that a game in Vanilla IE the first original release until the first expansion comes out doesnt usually have a lot of endgame content in it, I am aware of this, which is why im fixing to start my third alt grind to 50.

But my point is still a valid one....while levelling I go for HOURS with absolutely no comments seen in general chat, and when I do its only someone asking for help with such and such a heroic, otherwise it is total silence

also btw I know all about being the one to take the initiative and form a group for something, I do it every time I get to where I have 0 quests left on the planet except a few heroics which by then are green, we form the group knock them out off I go to the next planet OR if I dont find a group I /abandon them and move on to the next planet.....either way there isnt much group action

and PS I totally agree that the World rahghoul Event was FUN it encouraged teamwork and it encouraged grouping, but that was the only time so far that I really felt the game come alive

Then you must be on a different Canderous Ordo sever than me. I've never had an instance where chat was completely dead and getting groups together has NEVER been an issue. In fact, I group more with strangers than i do with my clan mates.

Well the mmo part maybe ya need to put some efford in cause i play since launch and i hardly ever played solo. I do pvp, flashpoints, ops i do 2 man hc quests 4 man hc quests. So think the problem is with social skills people are so spoiled by the 1 button group and get everything for free system. that they dont get to group. yea some servers are crapped up the the guy that distributed the guilds at lauch should get a good *** wooping. cause a lot of servers had problems just being once sided so just hutball was an option. (i had to reroll for this reason to bad)other then that the game is fine. and improving at a fast rate. Edited by Fomore

I love it when people who don't know their arse from their elbow pipe up with these inane 1-liners.

500K subs is massive, bro. Then again, I'm a former AoC player, so I think 50,000 is a massive number.

As for the OP, try doing something with other people. It'll feel like an MMO.

Also, it's vanilla. If you don't know what that means, it means there isn't much to do yet.

It also means in a few years we get to puke up the line ..."I've been playing this game since Vanilla" blah blah blah :)

I love it when people who don't know their arse from their elbow pipe up with these inane 1-liners.

500K subs is massive, bro. Then again, I'm a former AoC player, so I think 50,000 is a massive number.

Also, it's vanilla. If you don't know what that means, it means there isn't much to do yet.

the term "vanilla" has nothing to do with the amount of content or even the type. Expansions have subtitles to denote that it is part of the original game, and not separate. The original, lacking such a subtitle, is often coined "vanilla".

Never. Because in reality, only some 500-700k people play this game.

Sub numbers were artifically inflated with free time and trials.

lol nonsense.... you realize free trials dont count as subs? because well they arent... the only factor that was artificaly influenced was population, not subs.

Edited by Spartanik

I'm on what is supposedly the second most populous server C. Ordo

I have almost gotten my second toon to level 50 (47 Maurader)

I have gotten to Legacy 16

I also have several other toons ranging from 20 - 35

for the most part this game to me has felt like a single player game, I gave up on Flashpoints because Not only is it not worth it to sit around on fleet all day waiting for a group but the truth is I really dont even need Flashpoints in order to level to 50

As far as heroics go well its the same thing...I can either sit around ona planet for hours and hours waiting for enough people to do a heroic that I need or I can just simply dump it and move on to the next planet since again I really dont need to do the heroics in order to get to 50

and once I get to 50 I get to spend all Day doing dailies to get the mods to put into my orange gear which basically gives me the best gear in game except maybe raid gear.......

so im just curious when does the MMO feeling begin? the only place I ever see more than 5 - 10 players in a day of gaming is if I take a break and head over to the fleet

I really enjoy this game I think it ranks up there with Oblivion and Skyrim my two other all time offline games, but my free 30 days is coming to an end and I am having a hard time justifying a 15 dollar a month subscription.....anyone care to point me in the right direction?

how is that different from any current MMO?

lol nonsense.... you realize free trials dont count as subs? because well they arent... the only factor that was artificaly influenced was population, not subs.

quoted from the script

"active subscribers — defined as those paying for subscriptions along with players who are still in the free month of trials after buying the game."

owned.:rak_03:

I've never played an MMO that wasn't like that. The first couple months there are lots of people to party with while leveling. After that leveling becomes a mostly solo experience and all the group stuff is endgame.

Guys, you wrong.It works as intented, everything is in your mind.Servers are full, there are ques to just get on servers.You dont have to wait for WZs, WZ inv comes up every 5 seconds.When you lvl your alts, poeple are everywhere, you just dont see it.

All is just fine, learn to play please and leave Bioware alone.

There are no bug or mistakes, because like they say "Everything works as intented".

Edited by Emdix

My experience is from high pop servers (first Harbringer then Oceanic PVE):

- Low level planets and FP (BT-Esseles, Hammer Station, Coruscant, Dromund Kaas etc..) lots of people around, easy to form groups for Flashpoint and Heroics.

- Then the more you level the less people per planet, sometimes (rarely on my server but still... high pop server) down to asingle digit... 4 to 7 players on the planet Voss, no chance to do a Heroic.

- Mid level Flashpoints are more difficult to find groups for, one can be LFG for quite some time before getting a group

- HM Flashpoints, on my server the problem seems to find a tank, plenty of healers and DPS LFG but not tanks. Generally little interest in HM Flashpoints.

SWTOR becomes an MMO when people get it through their heads that not every MMORPG game is going to hand hold and walk them throught it. SWTOR is the closest thing to an MMORPG that has come out in a long time and everyone is raging because they actually have to do things for themselves now Edited by Skidrowbro

The name of this thread is:

"when does SWTOR become an MMO?"

My answer is:

"When the cows come home..."

"When pigs fly..."

"When hell freezes over..."

"When the Chicago Cubs win the World Series..."

"On a cold day in hell..."

"When chicken have teeth..."

"In the next lifetime..."

Edited by DarthSublimitas

500k Is obviously enough for Bioware to profit still, but it doesn't change the fact that this game could have had way more subs in the right hands.

Depends what they pay their staff... if even 300 staff at $70k per year each is 21 mil, so if they are making 7.5 mil per month from 500,000 subscriptions, if they can keep 500k subs for a year thats about 90 mil, so minus say 20 odd mill for staff, another 5 mil for advertising, another 10 on company parties and team building exercises and tossing, and another 10 mil on server upkeep... it leaves them still with 40-50 mil profit annually from just 500k subscribers.

"when does SWTOR become an MMO?"

When you stop waiting around for someone to invite you. Seriously when is the last you ask someone to duo regular quest? You don't have to just do heroics or FP in a group.

Also enough with the LFG post. Everyone knows 1.3 is going to have the improved group finder. Posting it 6 times a day isn't going to make it come out any faster.

I agree with you. But on the other hand, I have asked people in general chat if they wanted to quest with me on my alt. No one responded.

I agree with you. But on the other hand, I have asked people in general chat if they wanted to quest with me on my alt. No one responded.

I have quested with plenty of people. Some are solo players who don't care I've even added a couple of em to friends list.

Sadly enough, 500k subs is not massive in any retrospect for the MMO this game claims to be not to mention when you have your so called 500k subs split between 10+ servers those numbers slim down terribly. You can justify this game how ever you want but that sad and underlying truth is that this game is one of the most expensive failures to ever be released with the Star Wars Franchise tag.

As for the Op this game is designed around a very linear and story driven quest line which was horribly adapted to be what BioWare and EA deem an MMORPG. Most people will claim this game has all the items and such you need to be a successful MMO, but that sad fact is that this game is far from any MMO to date. There is no need to group or join guilds or make friends in this game when like you originally stated you can solo the entire quest and story line up to 50 and get good gear for it. The game needs to be overhauled and have a serious face lift in order to stay afloat in this market thats the only thing that could save it.

but that sad fact is that this game is far from any MMO to date

Please enlighten us to what makes an MMORPG. Is it an X-LFG tool? Is it catering to the masses so even the players who have no clue on how to play their characters can have full raid gear?