Instant cast are not INSTANT

Junebugs

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree. The game feels VERY slow in reaction to your button presses. This is especially noticeable on Assassins/Shadows as their "backstab" ability has a rather long animation before actually making contact. This does need addressing as it is hard enough getting behind people as it is (Aka: rubber banding...).

Any news is good news BW, just keep us in the loop... if there is one.

Some of this was pointed out in Beta.

All damage for instants are instant. If it's an instant skill, the second you press the button the target takes damage. HOWEVER...

You're ability to use skills is fully dependent on two things:

1. The GCD

2. The animation time of the previous skill used.

For instance, if you're a Trooper and you launch a grenade at someone at max range, the second you hit the button they take damage. The grenade flies through the air (fine on time) hit's the target (fine on time) explodes (you have now hit the 1.5 sec GCD). The issue is that after the explosion, little pieces of debris fall off the target; during this time you CANNOT perform another instant skill. The animation must complete before you use the next skill.

So, once again, it's GCD and animation time.

Smugglers and AIs can try this one. Throw a grenade at a target and hit cover. Portable Cover is off the GCD so it's a great way to test this. Chuck the grenade, hit cover. I garantee you that your character will not drop into cover until the grenade animation is complete.

Welcome to World of Messed-up Code Craft, where timers developed on ActionScript is the canvas that your timing is painted on.

Listen to this guy

He explains it far better than i do

Edited by Junebugs

The combat is fine in my opinion. I thought it was pretty straight forward though i see many people do not get it. When you use an instant, the damage or heal or shield takes effect the instant you press the button. However, there is an animation that takes place after you hit the button and lasts for 1.5secs (which is the game's global cooldown). It doesn't matter if you want to cancel the animation to queue up another ability cause the damage has been done already (unless it's a channel ability).

I like how every attack has an animation that takes longer than an instant (unlike wow).

It might feel better if damage happened at the end of an animation instead of at the start. Whole new set of issues with that but it would feel better.

I don't like doing melee dmg from 30 feet away and then leaping into combat.

It might feel better if damage happened at the end of an animation instead of at the start. Whole new set of issues with that but it would feel better.

I don't like doing melee dmg from 30 feet away and then leaping into combat.

My MAIN concerns is maul on the sith assassin that ability fails so much its almost not worth using sometime it will take me out of stealth deal no damage and trigger the GCD very annoying

im rerolling because of it and these problems are no where near as bad on sith warrior cause you dont have to be on a player in a specific spot

I havent played tropper yet but a friend of mine was saying that the shock thing (like the bounty hunters flame thrower) doesnt actually start doing its damage until the channel is nearly half way done anyone that has played that class i would like to hear on that as well

Bioware plz i beg of you speed up the animations or something cause multiple abilities dont actually happen until the global is nearly done this tends to be a huge problem playing melee as a sith assassin i have been screwed out of many mauls cause of slow animation i feel im lucky if i get on off plz do something about this

Please keep this post going I know that the PvPers feel my pain in this situation lets get this fixed

i have same issue on my sorc, i cast static barrior and like takes 2 seconds for animation to even start to play... are some abilities just feel very slow, and typically are core abilities HOWEVER could very well be lag/latency do to high server population right now.

Thanks for this thread, I was wondering whether it might be a lag issue. Combat feels really annoying this way in certain situations and changes to be make it more responsive would be most welcome. Especially if you are a melee class and are getting kited.

The combat is fine in my opinion. I thought it was pretty straight forward though i see many people do not get it. When you use an instant, the damage or heal or shield takes effect the instant you press the button. However, there is an animation that takes place after you hit the button and lasts for 1.5secs (which is the game's global cooldown). It doesn't matter if you want to cancel the animation to queue up another ability cause the damage has been done already (unless it's a channel ability).

I like how every attack has an animation that takes longer than an instant (unlike wow).

that is not how it works, the dmg does NOT take effect until the animation goes through

Bioware plz i beg of you speed up the animations or something cause multiple abilities dont actually happen until the global is nearly done this tends to be a huge problem playing melee as a sith assassin i have been screwed out of many mauls cause of slow animation i feel im lucky if i get on off plz do something about this

Please keep this post going I know that the PvPers feel my pain in this situation lets get this fixed

Actually, if you pay closer attention.. you will notice that as soon as you hit the button, damage is applied THEN you see the animation. Your argument is invalid. Yes, I also play an assassin.

that is not how it works, the dmg does NOT take effect until the animation goes through

Thats what I think, too. At least it feels that way. Damage numbers do not pop up when I hit the button but when the animation connects. Good example is Marauder's Smash.

I don't know if damage numbers still pop up when an animation is cancelled (can they even be canceled?). It would feel awkwardly disconnected from your intended action either way.

I have also experienced this.

When I am trying to use electrolude...i am losing more than a sec. This is quite bad especially in pvp!! :(

how is it bad when your opponents have the same handicap? maybe you just need to adapt to a new combat system in a new game?

Edited by Kryptoniic

Sounds like the OP is talking about animations not cast times. Is that seriously a problem? I'd much rather see my toon launch that rocket, watch it fly to the target and go boom, than have it just blow the dude to hell the second i hit the button. Did the OP just run out of stuff to complain about or is this legit?