Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Powertech PVP - Damage Video

Wrestle

I'm not sure I'm watching the same video as you.

All I'm seeing is a series of clips where the PT pops cooldowns, throws TD and proceeds to overheat or near overheat to kill one or two people. This level of damage is not sustained.

That's not what ppl said when they looked at operative videos under the exact same conditions.

And when i said sustained dmg, i didn't mean he keeps those numbers up.... i meant all his damage, while good can be sustained, while operative dps only has good dmg a couple of seconds out of stealth, after which its crap and very hard to manage energy wise.

If you feel threatened by dps operatives in wz now, it says more about you than operatives.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I'm watching the same video as you.

All I'm seeing is a series of clips where the PT pops cooldowns, throws TD and proceeds to overheat or near overheat to kill one or two people. This level of damage is not sustained.

People keep saying the word "tank" and they fail to recognize that the PT in the video is DPS spec and in DPS gear, and wears a power generator in DPS stance. There is nothing "tank" about this spec. The few times he's being hit he has to immediately pop his damage reduction cooldown (blue bubble, not to be confused with the few times a jug threw a guard on him). This spec tanks about as well as an operative (5% mitigation difference in favor of PT), but without the ability to cleanse anything, or disappear.

Exactly. But these people are terribad player, they can't understand this.

"I see this, I want this"

Pyro mercs deal less rail shot damage - fact. But mercs can use 2 blasters (so abilities that can apply damage from both weapons certainly do - if the off-hand weapon connects). The best Pyro P-Tech and the best Pyro merc on my server are in the same guild, and they're almost always grouped together for WZ's. They tend to deal very similar total damage numbers (despite the fact that the merc typically has double the deaths the p-tech has). Yes, the P-tech usually has more total medals (he'll snag 4 protection medals and get the 5k damage medal pretty much every time, which the merc pyro rarely achieves), but all in all, I'd say they're pretty even in terms of dealing out damage (merc seems to have better sustained dps while the powertech has more burst).

Furthermore, merc healers are very good. They make the best clutch healers in pvp. Arsenal mercs are still nasty - particularly if they're with a well-coordinated group. Yes, Arsenal mercs are turret-mode tracer-monkeys and they can be shut down via interrupts, but tracer missile armor debuffs benefit your entire team and Heatseeker Missile crits can still dish out 5k+ damage, so arsenal mercs perform best as team players - a good group keeps their arsenal merc from getting shut down and mops the floor with enemies debuffed by tracer missile with a quickness.

That's not what ppl said when they looked at operative videos under the exact same conditions.

And when i said sustained dmg, i didn't mean he keeps those numbers up.... i meant all his damage, while good can be sustained, while operative dps only has good dmg a couple of seconds out of stealth, after which its crap and very hard to manage energy wise.

If you feel threatened by dps operatives in wz now, it says more about you than operatives.

PTs and OPs share the same energy management mechanic. The more you have the better you regen, the PTs is just inverted.

PVE logs have shown that both are viable dps in operations. Meaning that both can sustain DPS equally well.

An equally geared Concealment Operative will be able to take around 70% off of the PT in the video during their 5.5 second opener plus melee stun. If the PT does not have his break free and his shield he will likely die to a good OP. A great OP, with a bit of luck (PT has to miss scan when op disappears), will kill him regardless of his shield or break free. I'm not looking for further nerfs, and didn't care for the last round either. Just comparing the two classes' damage.

Pyro mercs deal less rail shot damage - fact. But mercs can use 2 blasters (so abilities that can apply damage from both weapons certainly do - if the off-hand weapon connects). The best Pyro P-Tech and the best Pyro merc on my server are in the same guild, and they're almost always grouped together for WZ's. They tend to deal very similar total damage numbers (despite the fact that the merc typically has double the deaths the p-tech has). Yes, the P-tech usually has more total medals (he'll snag 4 protection medals and get the 5k damage medal pretty much every time, which the merc pyro rarely achieves), but all in all, I'd say they're pretty even in terms of dealing out damage (merc seems to have better sustained dps while the powertech has more burst).

Furthermore, merc healers are very good. They make the best clutch healers in pvp. Arsenal mercs are still nasty - particularly if they're with a well-coordinated group. Yes, Arsenal mercs are turret-mode tracer-monkeys and they can be shut down via interrupts, but tracer missile armor debuffs benefit your entire team and Heatseeker Missile crits can still dish out 5k+ damage, so arsenal mercs perform best as team players - a good group keeps their arsenal merc from getting shut down and mops the floor with enemies debuffed by tracer missile with a quickness.

I have both a PT and a Merc. Trust me there is a huge difference. Heat is a problem for the pyro tree whether its merc or PT. There is no reason for the merc pyro to have better long term DPS. Arsenal Merc yes.

Edited by MrSIlverSurfing

I just saw this on youtube. Man I wish Mercs were even remotely close to this in DPS. Whats also crazy is all of the DPS is while being fully mobile, while the merc is an interuptable turret with hideous DPS.

If you go Pyro on a Merc you can put out similar total damage numbers. You have to work harder for the damage than a powertech but it is achievable.

Ooh, I got my own thread. Exciting, anyways a few things just to reiterate.

• This is a compilation video showing burst. Why would I not use what I have to maximize that burst? So yeah, cooldowns and adrenals are used on all but 3 encounters.
  • Yes some of the players are undergeared.

I would also like to add, you are living in some make believe bubble of comfort if you believe a Pyro Powertech / Assault Vanguard can not do similar results to WH Geared Players (Guardians/Juggs included). No, i won't break 6k On them but 5K is easily attained. While I don't know who from my server reads these forums, they would easily agree with that statement.

Edited by exphryl

My merc is lucky to break 3.5k on his largest hitting heatseaker missle, which has a very long CD, compared to railshot. This is hitting targets with equal gear to mine. WH/BM geared 1300 expertise. Doesn't really matter though since my Sorcerer in Tera Crits for 20K. My stats will show up in the next quarter as one of the next 400k people to leave. Edited by MrSIlverSurfing

I have both a PT and a Merc. Trust me there is a huge difference. Heat is a problem for the pyro tree whether its merc or PT. There is no reason for the merc pyro to have better long term DPS. Arsenal Merc yes.

So... if the Pyro PT and the Pyro Merc are putting up similar total damage numbers yet the PT pyro gets highest damage hits ~ 5.4k each match and the Pyro Merc's highest damage hits are ~ 3.6k (most common highest hits I see from them via WZ stat-bar tooltip), how do you explain that the pyro merc is making up for the gap in damage? Particularly when he typically has far more deaths (so less time to pew-pew)?

So... if the Pyro PT and the Pyro Merc are putting up similar total damage numbers yet the PT pyro gets highest damage hits ~ 5.4k each match and the Pyro Merc's highest damage hits are ~ 3.6k (most common highest hits I see from them via WZ stat-bar tooltip), how do you explain that the pyro merc is making up for the gap in damage? Particularly when he typically has far more deaths (so less time to pew-pew)?

Your PT is bad. I play both so.

My merc is lucky to break 3.5k on his largest hitting heatseaker missle, which has a very long CD, compared to railshot. This is hitting targets with equal gear to mine. WH/BM geared 1300 expertise. Doesn't really matter though since my Sorcerer in Tera Crits for 20K. My stats will show up in the next quarter as one of the next 400k people to leave.

Try hitting a sorc/sage (bubble down) with HSM when your HSM is fully empowered. My 6-piece WH geared sorc. has been hit for by HSM for 4.4k against a merc that didn't even have full BM gear yet (though he did have BM main-hand, not sure about off-hand).

Ooh, I got my own thread. Exciting, anyways a few things just to reiterate.

• This is a compilation video showing burst. Why would I not use what I have to maximize that burst? So yeah, cooldowns and adrenals are used on all but 3 encounters.
  • Yes some of the players are undergeared.

I would also like to add, you are living in some make believe bubble of comfort if you believe a Pyro Powertech / Assault Vanguard can not do similar results to WH Geared Players (Guardians/Juggs included). No, i won't break 6k On them but 5K is easily attained. While I don't know who from my server reads these forums, they would easily agree with that statement.

The next time you decide to make a burst video, could you go ahead and forget to post it on youtube, thanks.

Try hitting a sorc/sage (bubble down) with HSM when your HSM is fully empowered. My 6-piece WH geared sorc. has been hit for by HSM for 4.4k against a merc that didn't even have full BM gear yet (though he did have BM main-hand, not sure about off-hand).

This would be true just after 1.2. After 1.2c mercs got smacked down bad. Most people didn't even notice this change on the patch, since they left the explanation out.

Your PT is bad.

Pretty sure that's not the case, but I suppose it's possible that the PT finishes off his target more often, so the merc's DoT damage is probably lasting longer (i.e. during respawn time). Didn't really think of that until just now since I recall that terribad sorcerers can just tab-target DoT everyone until death and top damage charts.

Pretty sure that's not the case, but I suppose it's possible that the PT finishes off his target more often, so the merc's DoT damage is probably lasting longer (i.e. during respawn time). Didn't really think of that until just now since I recall that terribad sorcerers can just tab-target DoT everyone until death and top damage charts.

This is possible and makes sense.

This would be true just after 1.2. After 1.2c mercs got smacked down bad. Most people didn't even notice this change on the patch, since they left the explanation out.

Happened 4 days ago. And the patchnotes for that change were actually quite clear - stating that existing heat sigs from anyone other than the target of your HSM no longer additionally modify HSM's damage to the target. Yes, I remember the 8k HSM's following 1.2 (despite not actually having any stacks on myself).

Happened 4 days ago. And the patchnotes for that change were actually quite clear - stating that existing heat sigs from anyone other than the target of your HSM no longer additionally modify HSM's damage to the target. Yes, I remember the 8k HSM's following 1.2 (despite not actually having any stacks on myself).

This explanation wasn't on the original patch. It was added at a later date to clarify the change. Thus they updated previous patch notes. The 8k crit against yourself is not accurate in PVP. It was posted against raid mobs with multiple classes to debuff mobs. I was the first person on my server to have the most expertise and I never hit for over 6k with the ability in pvp. I was able to hit for over 5k every few matches or so. Crits were seen up to almost 6k on players though from what others said.

Lol. This isn't get a PT nerfed thread. There heat management is their weakness.

Not too sure how badly heat management is for a PT, but I've seen flame burst (maybe flame sweep) + rail shot get spammed like crazy without a need for downtime. Maybe it comes from armor set bonuses, but the good powertechs I see don't ever really stop attacking.

Not too sure how badly heat management is for a PT, but I've seen flame burst (maybe flame sweep) + rail shot get spammed like crazy without a need for downtime. Maybe it comes from armor set bonuses, but the good powertechs I see don't ever really stop attacking.

Flameburst=reset CD on railshot, so I can see how this could be accurate. FB will run the heat up though in a raid environment. Not as bad in pvp with a few second DPS break here and there to help bring heat down. I usually only over heat a few times in pvp honestly.

This explanation wasn't on the original patch. It was added at a later date to clarify the change. Thus they updated previous patch notes. The 8k crit against yourself is not accurate in PVP. It was posted against raid mobs with multiple classes to debuff mobs. I was the first person on my server to have the most expertise and I never hit for over 6k with the ability in pvp. I was able to hit for over 5k every few matches or so. Crits were seen up to almost 6k on players though from what others said.

This isn't me, but here's just one of the ones you can find:

http://imageshack.us/f/163/8270dmg.jpg/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.