Subs down 25%

Sabilok

I already have "dealt with it". I already told you that every developer pads the numbers. You're the only blindly being an Activision fanboi and saying they don't pad the numbers when it's already obvious they do. Not the same way as EA, but they do. My point still stands.

Care to elaborate, or are you just blindly grasping for straws after being proved wrong?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What other methods do they use that was not included in Activision's definition for active subscribers?

Many people bought a year for the free D3, played a while, hated Cata, cancelled, and don't play anymore. Those subs are still "active" until the year they bought is over. Only, they're not technically "active", are they? Numbers. Are. Padded. All developers do it.

To try to claim otherwise is to be unrealistic.

Care to elaborate, or are you just blindly grasping for straws after being proved wrong?

You're a real winner, y'know that? Okay, you're turn. Show me where I was "proved wrong" after saying all developers pad their numbers, including EA? I stated from the VERY BEGINNING that the numbers are padded, just as every developer does, thus making the playing field even. It's not my fault you cannot seem to wrap your finite skull around that.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Not sure how any WoW fanboy can justify Blizzard's own methods of padding numbers by forcing people to sign up for 1 year for a free diablo 3 game, and then accuse SW:TOR of padding numbers through the free 30 days.

One company forces you to pay money to pad sub numbers. They're so insecure that they force you to sign up for the entire year.

Another gives you free game time. But the one that gives free stuff is more guilty?

And besides, the majority of the people who got the free 30 days would remained subbed anyway. Mine hasn't even kicked in yet due to the 60-day time card I used.

WoW's sub numbers however are very dubious because I have no idea how they calculate the hourly rate of China and Korea. It's very convenient to blame the loss of subs to China, but remain silent when it helped boosted you to 12 million at one point.

Edited by ConradLionhart

Many people bought a year for the free D3, played a while, hated Cata, cancelled, and don't play anymore. Those subs are still "active" until the year they bought is over. Only, they're not technically "active", are they? Numbers. Are. Padded. All developers do it.

Everyone was already aware of this particular example, but the DiabloIII pass only represents 1.2m of WoW's 10.2m subscribers and is STILL a paid account.

Where is the evidence of Activision 'padding' their subscription figures with non-paying accounts, like EA?

And besides, the majority of the people who got the free 30 days would remained subbed anyway. Mine hasn't even kicked in yet due to the 60-day time card I used.

False.

The free gametime was the only thing that brought a LOT of people back into the game, some of whom cancelled in January.

The Chinese internet cafe numbers pad the numbers much more than the many people who overpaid for D3. But, I would much rather have those paid padded numbers than the free padded numbers as a developer.

False.

The free gametime was the only thing that brought a LOT of people back into the game, some of whom cancelled in January.

True.

There were a LARGE number of players who bought the 6-month sub. Free gametime has not been counted yet.

The Chinese internet cafe numbers pad the numbers much more than the many people who overpaid for D3. But, I would much rather have those paid padded numbers than the free padded numbers as a developer.

Padding is padding. Everyone does it. And it covers a larger number of subs for Activision than it does for TOR.

You're a real winner, y'know that? Okay, you're turn. Show me where I was "proved wrong" after saying all developers pad their numbers, including EA? I staed from the VERY BEGINNING that the numbers are padded, just as every developer does, thus making the playing field even. It's not my fault you cannot seem to wrap your finite skull around that.

Yes but Bioware is doing something more to pad their numbers, they are also pushing losses into following quarters for accounting reasons. There are not 1 million active paying accounts right now. I say again, this is what it looks like when an MMO fails. Trion played the same games with Rift, and they have a failed MMO today. They only kept or replaced 10% of their customers after the one year mark. I was one of those lost customers, they deserved to fail and did to themselves. Sadly Bioware is doing many of the same things that Trion did to kill Rift, but without the same level of code quality or QA.

I am either a subscriber to, or former subscriber to twelve MMO's, I have seen winners I have seen losers. I hope Bioware pulls it out, but right now if I were betting, they smell like a loser.

Oh well I will voice my opinion, and give Bioware due warning of what the course they are choosing will lead to. Right now Bioware is taking too many of the bad pages from the SOE and Trion playbooks of how to mess up an MMO and lose their community. I will be very happy to be wrong, I like the combination of new dynamics and old systems that Bioware brought together in SWTOR. I want it to succeed, but they are doing it wrong for that to happen.

Padding is padding. Everyone does it. And it covers a larger number of subs for Activision than it does for TOR.

Padding is not padding to investors and ultimately the future of a game. If TOR continues to see decline in subscriptions (income) the game will have to change.

Yes but Bioware is doing something more to pad their numbers, they are also pushing losses into following quarters for accounting reasons. There are not 1 million active paying accounts right now. I say again, this is what it looks like when an MMO fails. Trion played the same games with Rift, and they have a failed MMO today. They only kept or replaced 10% of their customers after the one year mark. I was one of those lost customers, they deserved to fail and did to themselves. Sadly Bioware is doing many of the same things that Trion did to kill Rift, but without the same level of code quality or QA.

I am either a subscriber to, or former subscriber to twelve MMO's, I have seen winners I have seen losers. I hope Bioware pulls it out, but right now if I were betting, they smell like a loser.

Oh well I will voice my opinion, and give Bioware due warning of what the course they are choosing will lead to. Right now Bioware is taking too many of the bad pages from the SOE and Trion playbooks of how to mess up an MMO and lose their community. I will be very happy to be wrong, I like the combination of new dynamics and old systems that Bioware brought together in SWTOR. I want it to succeed, but they are doing it wrong for that to happen.

I'm on a server that's ranked 20th on TORstatus.net. Every single night, there are 150 on Fleet, instances on weekends, 70 on Coruscant, 90 on Tatooine not even a week ago where I got a full 24-man together THREE times in two days. 20th!

Tell me the population isn't there. Do the math. 1.3 million is perfectly conceivable across these servers.

True.

There were a LARGE number of players who bought the 6-month sub. Free gametime has not been counted yet.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Now you're REALLY grasping for straws.

The people who (unwisely) bought the six month's gametime represent a tiny minority of the subscriber base. The number who bought the six months and still play are an even smaller minority.

The month's free gametime brought a huge number of players back into the game in time for the quarterly report, some of whom had cancelled VERY early on.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Now you're REALLY grasping for straws.

The people who (unwisely) bought the six month's gametime represent a tiny minority of the subscriber base. The number who bought the six months and still play are an even smaller minority.

The month's free gametime brought a huge number of players back into the game in time for the quarterly report, some of whom had cancelled VERY early on.

:)

See ya in 6 months when subs are up and WoW subs are down further. ;)

Edited by JeramieCrowe