Having trouble with Space Combat

Belaeren

I am trying to get into space combat, after having ignored it since I was in my low teen levels. I am level 50 now, and have been for a long time, but have been ignoring space for some reason. I recently heard there were nice credit and daily commendation rewards to be had from the space missions. However, I tried the three missions in Ilum space and couldn't complete any of the three despite multiple attempts.

Let me hasten to add that I recognized that I'd need grade 5 ship gear before trying these, so I equipped my ship with a bunch of crafted magenta gear:

- ArMek Ship Armor

- Quellegh Industrial Energy Shield

- Sienar Systems Beam Charger

- Kuat Drive Yards Missile Magazine

- Plus a Grade 5 Shield Regenerator and Grade 5 Beam Generator I bought from the Space NPC on the Fleet

I don't have the other stuff not mentioned, since they need fleet comms; Power Conversion Module, Proton Torpedoes, EMP Generator and Electronic Warfare Pod. Are these needed to complete these Ilum daily space missions? If so, how would you suggest I get them?

Any general tips on how to succeed in the Ilum space missions?

I would start doing all of the other missions outside of the master missions in the Ilum sector of space. Build up your commendations (it won't take long) and get your special parts.

The parts you purchased and have equipped now will have you mowing through those other missions like they are nothing.

Yes, first you do need the power conversion module and the other two item (EMP and the targeting thingie).

Basically, with all the epic gear, or grade five at least, it will take you a try or two to get the feel for the high level stuff. It basically involves using the power conversion to regen your shields when you are out of combat. This happens fast but remember to not fire when you do.

Proton torpedos are a waste because they are just a pain to fire and I find they interefere with normal missile firing.

Also, as you do more space you will begin to unlock bonus missions within the exisiting missions. Examples being to kill shield generators or engines. Pound for pound though the money is in destroying the bridges of capital ships (about 25 missiles will do it, or 2 proton torpedos) wherever you can.

The giant space station missions I can always get those. The missions where you are disabling the shield generators(4) on capital ship is easy too. I have also managed to occasionally get the bridges on other missions but Proton Torpedos are a must for those as you only get a few seconds (not enough time to rattle off 25 missiles).

The biggest thing for high level space is to not get tunnel vision. Target can be engaged with missiles OR guns as soon as the radical appears, so learn to be shooting far off in the distance when possible. This prevents senseless damage to you and in turn reduces the time you need to regen.

Proton torpedos are a waste because they are just a pain to fire and I find they interefere with normal missile firing.

I don't get this. I have never had an issue using missiles when I want to.

Pound for pound though the money is in destroying the bridges of capital ships (about 25 missiles will do it, or 2 proton torpedos) wherever you can.

I have not seen a capital ship bridge that took more than one torpedo to take out.

Not arguing with you bud. Just don't want to see the guy be misled.

Protons are paperweights for me, too; rather have the missles with full control and lose some bonus pts than fail the required Mission due to quirks in the impementation. But I am not a Twitch player; have restricted use anyway, so added constraints is not something I wish.

One thing that also helps me is to run Crew Skill Missions at the same time; gathering credits and items while gaining Flet Comms and XP is a decent way to gain some obejectives.

I don't get this. I have never had an issue using missiles when I want to.

I have not seen a capital ship bridge that took more than one torpedo to take out.

Not arguing with you bud. Just don't want to see the guy be misled.

True enough indeed, I welcome the feedback for our rookie pilot.

My issue to PT's is that I can never seem to fire just one. Thus the two per bridge thing.

I prefer to use missiles, even if it takes more because I can control what happens. WHen I mouse over a shield, the proton icon lights up, but what if I want to save my proton for something else? In the case of the misfire, I want to save the last one for the bridge, but I cant fire missiles on a proton ready target until that last one is gone.

Therefor, it sits in my bank!