Inspiration for assassin

Tyhpon

Now I haven't watch the movie in a while but from what I remember, Darth Maul was more of a marauder with a double bladed lightsaber. He used force push a few times, and force leap. All his damage was melee; no stealth, no "assassin" characteristics. Why was he the basis for the assassin and not the marauder? Are there any real assassin type characters in canon?

Maul displayed proficiency in stealth as well as force lightning in sources outside of the movies, but he was an aggressive warrior in combat. I think he fits well as the example but Assassins are somewhat flexible in how they play, so one can compare parts of the class to many different Sith.

Now I haven't watch the movie in a while but from what I remember, Darth Maul was more of a marauder with a double bladed lightsaber. He used force push a few times, and force leap. All his damage was melee; no stealth, no "assassin" characteristics. Why was he the basis for the assassin and not the marauder? Are there any real assassin type characters in canon?

Darth Maul was the inspiration for the Sith Assassin because he WAS an assassin. That was what his use to Palpatine was, assassin. The vast majority of his missions were ones of assassination, Siolo'urmanka, Drovian Silus, Alexi Garyn and the entire leadership of Black Sun in the year 33 BBY, Hath Monchar, and others.

The advanced class Sith Assassin is one of agile lightsaber combat with the primary weapon being a saberstaff. Darth Maul was a practitioner of agile lightsaber combat with his primary weapon being the saberstaff.

There are not any other Sith I can think of that were deployed as assassins. Mostly because none of the Rule of Two sith between Darth Bane and Darth Plagueis have been depicted in novels and Sith during other eras did not need to operate from the shadows.

Darth Maul was a hell of a tank. Sure, he didn't use a shield generator, but he was able to fend off two Jedi at once. In my opinion, Darth Maul was the biggest reason to give tanking abilities to Shadows and Assassins. Originally, these two ACs weren't tanks, and I questioned why because of Darth Maul. Then, later, they were given a tanking tree, and all was right with the world.

Maul was not the only inspiration for the Assassin class. Probably a bigger inspiration for the class was Darth Bane's apprentice Darth Zannah, who did you stealth, force clock, a double light saber, lightning, and many of the talents like haunted dreams under the Madness tree in the books. She is the only sith to ever sneak into the Jedi Temple, that I knew of when I was heavy in to the extented universe.

i think it is wrong to rty and put starwars character to classes in the game. all jedi/sith have force ability's, and i have never seen one that cna't use a lightsaber. classes are made the way they are for balance and diversity. starwars chracters are not. sure some are stronger in the force than others and some are better with lightsabers than others. i agree some character were inspiration or classes, you might be able to pigeonhole class to a starwars character, but it doesn't work both ways you can't pigeonhole a character to a class.

so for this reason you can say an assassin is inspired by darth maul. but you can't say darth maul is an assassin

i think it is wrong to rty and put starwars character to classes in the game. all jedi/sith have force ability's, and i have never seen one that cna't use a lightsaber. classes are made the way they are for balance and diversity. starwars chracters are not. sure some are stronger in the force than others and some are better with lightsabers than others. i agree some character were inspiration or classes, you might be able to pigeonhole class to a starwars character, but it doesn't work both ways you can't pigeonhole a character to a class.

so for this reason you can say an assassin is inspired by darth maul. but you can't say darth maul is an assassin

That is not the point of the debate. What is being debated is why Maul is the inspiration of the Sith Assassin as opposed to the Sith Marauder. Which if you were here pre-launch, you would know the Devs, by their own admission, were inspired heavily by Darth Maul when designing the Sith Assassin Advanced Class.

The Sith Inquisitor Class was inspired by Palpatine and Darth Maul. The Sith Warrior Class was inspired by Darth Vader and Asajj Ventress. The Bounty Hunter Class was inspired by both of the Fetts, Boba and Jango. The Imperial Agent was inspired by the Imperial Military as a whole as there were no individuals that stood out as such a character in the movies. There are obviously more than just the two characters that inspired each of the classes that I mentioned but, those are the major sources of inspiration.

That is not the point of the debate. What is being debated is why Maul is the inspiration of the Sith Assassin as opposed to the Sith Marauder. Which if you were here pre-launch, you would know the Devs, by their own admission, were inspired heavily by Darth Maul when designing the Sith Assassin Advanced Class.

The Sith Inquisitor Class was inspired by Palpatine and Darth Maul. The Sith Warrior Class was inspired by Darth Vader and Asajj Ventress. The Bounty Hunter Class was inspired by both of the Fetts, Boba and Jango. The Imperial Agent was inspired by the Imperial Military as a whole as there were no individuals that stood out as such a character in the movies. There are obviously more than just the two characters that inspired each of the classes that I mentioned but, those are the major sources of inspiration.

the reason i brought that up, is because i think alot this assassin/marauder debate comes from ppl trying to directly assign a class to darth maul. that why i was pointing out the difference between pigeonholing classes and starwars characters. i think once you understand this, its easier to see how the assassin was inspired

the reason i brought that up, is because i think alot this assassin/marauder debate comes from ppl trying to directly assign a class to darth maul. that why i was pointing out the difference between pigeonholing classes and starwars characters. i think once you understand this, its easier to see how the assassin was inspired

That was understood a long time ago, at least for myself. Pre-launch there used to be so many "Which class would X Character be" that point could not have been made any more clear. However, I believe the OP is trying to understand why people say that Darth Maul was the inspiration for the Assassin Advanced Class when to him, he seems to have more in common with the Marauder Advanced Class. There is really nothing more to understand than that is what the Devs decided was their inspiration for said Advanced Class.

That was understood a long time ago, at least for myself. Pre-launch there used to be so many "Which class would X Character be" that point could not have been made any more clear. However, I believe the OP is trying to understand why people say that Darth Maul was the inspiration for the Assassin Advanced Class when to him, he seems to have more in common with the Marauder Advanced Class. There is really nothing more to understand than that is what the Devs decided was their inspiration for said Advanced Class.

i was pointing out that one reason ppl assume maul was the inspiration for marauder and not assassin, is because ppl think darth maul the character is a marauder, because he uses hes lightsaber more than the force. i was pointing out, if you think like this to begin with then you will not see how maul inspired assassin. the fact that you knew this already and didn't think along these lines and the fact that his has been discussed already in other threads, doesn't make the point any less relevant to this thread. i was't off topic, i was just giving a reason why ppl come to the wrong conclusion about darth maul and assassin/marauder