Get Rid of Droid Parts

Dayshadow

If Khem Val can wear force user armor than so can a droid.

Correct me if I'm wrong here:

1. No crew skill can make droid parts that I am aware of.

2. Very few NPC merchants sell droid parts. Of those few, droid parts are always in short supply (maybe 1 or 2 parts). And even then it requires commendations.

3. Droid parts are mostly acquired via quest reward. So you pretty much have to choose the droid part as you have very limited means of ever getting any upgrade form anywhere else.

4. Assuming you managed to get all orange parts. You would have to fill them ALL. Nobody gets that many commendations while on a planet. 7 pieces of armor w/3 slots. it would cost 11 (7+2+2) comm per piece. 77 comms per world to keep the droid up to date. That 77 comms just for 1 companion.

Meanwhile, organics can wear hand-me-downs, looted pieces or you can craft them stuff. So when I play a Jedi Knight and I am forced to bring a droid to a certain part this droid is probably going to be sporting lvl 30 gear at 50. This is why everyone says Forex (trooper tankbot) sucks. Because he is always undergeared.

Am I missing something here? I just don't understand how droid armor can be justified. Just give them armor slots like organics. Again, if Khem Val can wear stuff my sith warrior wears I don't see why droids can have the same armor slots.

driod parts are made my cyberteh and are also avialable from some specialty vendors the driod on my IA has full set of modable parts and i had no issue getting them - llol most of the lower panets have them for comms solo a few low / medium level heroics and then remod em ... Edited by dupela

driod parts are made my cyberteh and are also avialable from some specialty vendors the driod on my IA has full set of modable parts and i had no issue getting them - llol most of the lower panets have them for comms solo a few low / medium level heroics and then remod em ...

Yes, I mention certain vendors. However, they always have a few peices. Nothing more. And it requires comms better spent elsewhere.

The quest reward pieces I also mentioned. Which typically won't net you a full up-to-date set and will still leave their overall armor below the level of the content. Similar to how crafted armor sets work. I.e. you get a bracer at lvl 9 and don't get another til lvl 17. This might be OK for a DPS or healer companion, but for a tank it's not acceptable.

And even if cybertechs can make them they don't sell them. Maybe on your server. Idk. Honestly, nobody hardly sells anything other than crafting materials on GTN. Not that I would expect to find droids parts for every slot and every level range.

I assume you are a cybertech or have a friend who is one. I don;t see you having a droid with up-to-date gear otherwise.

Edited by Dayshadow

nope - i spent the time to do it - daily coms flshpoints and so on ... if you want something for no actual invenstment well ...

That's funny. I invested $59 and $15 a month, but that's besides the point. You claim to bust your hump trying to get all these comms when you don't even need a 10th of that time to equip an organic in crafted blues. Thanks for reinforcing my point.

Although I honesty think you're lying. Why? because if you're doing that many dailies heroics and flashpoints to get these 77 comms you should be outleveling the equipment the comms are for. For instance, if I went out of my way to get that many Tattooine comms I would be on the Alderaan or Imperial Taris level by the time I got enough. In which case you'd have to go through the whole process again and when you were done that time you'd be on Quesh or Hoth. Unless all you do when you log in is focus on keeping one companion up-to-date when you could just play an organic without the hassle. Nah, don't think so unless you have some kind of obsessive disorder. There is no other way you would keeping up-to-date, spending 77 comms for one toon - 88 counting weapons, not to mention weapons for other companions - from lvl 10-50 (extreme case being a jedi knight who starts with a droid). No way. Sorry. Not buying it.

Edited by Dayshadow

That's funny. I invested $59 and $15 a month, but that's besides the point. You claim to bust your hump trying to get all these comms when you don't even need a 10th of that time to equip an organic in crafted blues. Thanks for reinforcing my point.
Yeah, and everyone else invested the same amount of cash. Some have invested more. What's your point?

If you don't have a Cybetech friend, find one. Use General chat, say you're looking for a Cybertech to craft level X droid armor, and wait for a response. If you're nice, he might even craft you a set of customizable droid armor.

It's really not difficult to get moddable orange droid parts. Cybertechs can start crafting them from a fairly low level, and there are plenty of vendors who offer pieces, both for credits and for commendations. You can get your sensor unit and your motors from coruscant/dromund kaas.

Yeah, and everyone else invested the same amount of cash. Some have invested more. What's your point?

We've all paid to be entertained. We've all "invested". This idea that a game should be a second job is absurd.

If you don't have a Cybetech friend, find one. Use General chat, say you're looking for a Cybertech to craft level X droid armor, and wait for a response. If you're nice, he might even craft you a set of customizable droid armor.

The real world doesn't always work that way. You don't just decide you want X and just "go get it" and everything just works out how you want it. People don't usually drop everything to make random people items.

Equiping droids in up-to-date gear is extremely inconvenient to nigh impossible to a non-cybertech. This is a bad design. You don't have to agree. Maybe your on a perfect little server, with your perfect little community who loves helping each other, giving hugs, kisses and being selfless you just shout on chat and every dashes to your rescue. That's nice. But that's not the reality for everyone. And in some cases it is simple impossible to keep a droid up-to-date armor wise. Period.

It's really not difficult to get moddable orange droid parts. Cybertechs can start crafting them from a fairly low level, and there are plenty of vendors who offer pieces, both for credits and for commendations. You can get your sensor unit and your motors from coruscant/dromund kaas.

Yes, so after getting all these orange items I now have 88 slots to fill every 4 levels.

If a player is not a cybertech it doesn't matter what a cybertech can make. Nothing sells on the GTN, but crating materials. Maybe that's not the case on your server, but it is on most.

There are NOT plenty of vendors selling them. And the ones that do don't sell alot. Maybe 2 slots max.

We've all paid to be entertained. We've all "invested". This idea that a game should be a second job is absurd.
No one stated it should be a "second job." We should have to put effort into it, though. Effort/reward fundamentals serve as the basis of all MMORPG content. It results in players that are more invested in their accomplishments and the game itself, which has positive effects on population and community both immediately and in the long-term. It's vital to a game, and it needs to stay.

The real world doesn't always work that way. You don't just decide you want X and just "go get it" and everything just works out how you want it. People don't usually drop everything to make random people items.
Exactly. Yet it is what you're advocating: you want droid parts and want to be able to just "go get it." As you yourself stated, this is not how the world works.

Equiping droids in up-to-date gear is extremely inconvenient to nigh impossible to a non-cybertech. This is a bad design. You don't have to agree. Maybe your on a perfect little server, with your perfect little community who loves helping each other, giving hugs, kisses and being selfless you just shout on chat and every dashes to your rescue. That's nice. But that's not the reality for everyone. And in some cases it is simple impossible to keep a droid up-to-date armor wise. Period.
I not only disagree, I contend that your premise is without merit. The state of my server and community are irrelevant in this, as is the state of yours. The game currently boasts adequate means of equipping droid companions. Despite your claims to the contrary, Cybertechs are a valid means of obtaining droid parts. There is nothing wrong with seeking out and negotiating fair prices for parts should they not be present on the GTN, and doing so actually serves to bolster the economy. Additionally, if you don't want to deal with Cybertechs and crafted parts, you can simply accept the mission rewards that pertain to your droid companion characters. Nothing about the current system should be changed. Edited by HeavensAgent

No one stated it should be a "second job." We should have to put effort into it, though. Effort/reward fundamentals serve as the basis of all MMORPG content. It results in players that are more invested in their accomplishments and the game itself, which has positive effects on population and community both immediately and in the long-term. It's vital to a game, and it needs to stay.

None of which applies. It does not happen. Period. Novel idea, but it DOES NOT HAPPEN in practice. Their is no market, no super friend communit or economy outside of crafting materials. This is the reality of my situation.

If you have 88 comms you have already surpassed the level of the content the armor the comms buy are for. If you're going to tell me you can get armor pieced for 88 slots, every 4 levels, from level 10-50, while maintaining up-to-date stats throughout.... I'm gonna call you a liar. Sorry, it doesn't happen. Not for me or anyone who isn't a cybertech.

Sometimes I think people just have to defend things just fo the sake of it. Are you actually against droids having normal armor slots? If so, why? What do you have against convenience?

Exactly. Yet it is what you're advocating: you want droid parts and want to be able to just "go get it." As you yourself stated, this is not how the world works.

When people are involved. When I have to seek it from another person. Yes.

Thing is, this is a game. This is entertainment. It should not be headache. Do you understand now? Remove the human equation because it isn't working. If I depend on another player to ensure my companion, for solo content, is viable there is a problem.

I don't know what your server situation is but getting anything from another players is not viable. Nobody is going to respond or EVER has when shouting over general. It simply does not happen. Period. Why would I WASTE my time trying to get parts for a droid which is readily availble for oragnics? I don't. This makes droids a waste of space; Particularly, as tanks. Accept for the Knight. They are stuck with a droid tank early on and are even forced to bring it for their class quest finale. Guess I know what crew skill I HAVE to have for a knight.

I not only disagree, I contend that your premise is without merit. The state of my server and community are irrelevant in this, as is the state of yours. The game currently boasts adequate means of equipping droid companions. Despite your claims to the contrary, Cybertechs are a valid means of obtaining droid parts. There is nothing wrong with seeking out and negotiating fair prices for parts should they not be present on the GTN, and doing so actually serves to bolster the economy. Additionally, if you don't want to deal with Cybertechs and crafted parts, you can simply accept the mission rewards that pertain to your droid companion characters. Nothing about the current system should be changed.

The mission rewards are crap for a tankbot. It's usually out of date before you leave the planet you got it from. not to mention it doesn't even over all the slots. If you're playing a tank and they are DPS it doesn't matter much. But if they are tanking for you it matters alot. ALot of companion tanks are just OK with greens. With sublevel greens they get shredded. And hence you get the complaints about them being as tanky as a DPS, but without the DPS.

Yes, so after getting all these orange items I now have 88 slots to fill every 4 levels.

If a player is not a cybertech it doesn't matter what a cybertech can make. Nothing sells on the GTN, but crating materials. Maybe that's not the case on your server, but it is on most.

There are NOT plenty of vendors selling them. And the ones that do don't sell alot. Maybe 2 slots max.

88 slots?

Why even bother equipping the droid? Unless they upped them in 1.2, they've always made fairly weak healers/dps. I've never used mine for anything but crafting.

Also, why bother keeping all your companions up-to-date with armor and mods? Do you adventure with all of them? I've found that I use at most two different ones with my characters.

Edited by Valakhnarr

Why even bother equipping the droid? Unless they upped them in 1.2, they've always made fairly weak healers/dps. I've never used mine for anything but crafting.

Also, why bother keeping all your companions up-to-date with armor and mods? Do you adventure with all of them? I've found that I use at most two different ones with my characters.

There are a number of droid companions available to different character classes, other than the ship droid. They are full companions, and boast the same range of ability and strength as other companion characters.

There are a number of droid companions available to different character classes, other than the ship droid. They are full companions, and boast the same range of ability and strength as other companion characters.

Oh, right. I don't have a Jedi Knight, forgot about the little R2 unit that wanders around with them.

88 slots?

88 commendations.

7 armor slots with 3 modification slots each. Armor = 7 comms, Mod = 2 comms, Enhancement = 2 comms for a total of 11 comms per slot. 77 comms. Then you add the weapon and you have 88 comms to keep droid up to date. That's about 88 comms every 4 levels... just for one companion.

Because there are so few droid companions their is no market for droid parts. And only 1 crew skill capable of making them. I didn't even know cybertechs could as all I ever hear of them making is implants and earpieces. If I was a cybertech and some guy wanted 88 mods made I'd laugh at him. 88 blues? How much you think that would cost if I was willing to take the time to make all that stuff and get all the materials? Answer: Way more than it's worth for 4 levels of use.

Droid parts are ironically discriminatory against droids. It makes them less viable companions.

Edited by Dayshadow

But that same thing (or close to it) applies to all companions, so the arguement is rather moot.

Nope, I can get a single piece for their level rather easily. I only use mods for weapons. You have alot more options in where you can get normal armor. A droid on the otherhand is SOL. You can't just run out and buy droid parts because there is no market for it. They don't drop, not even from droid foes. This is all reasonable considering there are only 3 droids out of 40 companions. No drop boxes, no loot, no GTN, no vendors will provide you with enough armor per planet to keep a droid up-to-date.

Why single droids out and make them less viable than the others? Do we really need a completely seperate armor type for 3 characters? Really???

Yes or No?

Because why not make Khem Val only armor. If Wookie only armor. How about special helmets for the deveronian companion. etc. Lets single them all out so that it's a pain in the *** to keep them equipped too.

Nope, I can get a single piece for their level rather easily. I only use mods for weapons. You have alot more options in where you can get normal armor. A droid on the otherhand is SOL. You can't just run out and buy droid parts because there is no market for it. They don't drop, not even from droid foes. This is all reasonable considering there are only 3 droids out of 40 companions. No drop boxes, no loot, no GTN, no vendors will provide you with enough armor per planet to keep a droid up-to-date.
Once again, find a Cybertech.

If you cannot find one, which I can't imagine occurring given the reasonable demeanor and willingness to accept opposing opinions you demonstrate here, roll your own Cybertech. Perhaps consider that the overwhelming responses against your suggestion indicate that this is not as overwhelming an issue as you seem to believe.

Why single droids out and make them less viable than the others? Do we really need a completely seperate armor type for 3 characters? Really???

Yes or No?

Why do you keep asking this? The response is not going to change, you know. Obviously the answer to this is yes, else no one would be arguing with you ....

When people are involved. When I have to seek it from another person. Yes.

Thing is, this is a game. This is entertainment. It should not be headache. Do you understand now? Remove the human equation because it isn't working. If I depend on another player to ensure my companion, for solo content, is viable there is a problem.

That falls under "daf** did I just read?"

Remove the human equation... from an MMO...

KOTOR is thattaway ----->

Why do you keep asking this? The response is not going to change, you know. Obviously the answer to this is yes, else no one would be arguing with you ....

So why do you think we NEED a completely sepearate armor system for 3 companions out of 40?

This should be interesting.

That falls under "daf** did I just read?"

Remove the human equation... from an MMO...

Blues should be the bare minimum for crafting. The REing aspect is one reason I think people don't sell alot of stuff. The only way to make it worthwhile is to sell things for ridiculous prices to offset the time and money needed to get the recipes and materials.

When it's not working, yes. Remove it. If I, as a knight, NEED you for my main companion to be viable tank... yes, it needs to change.

KOTOR is thattaway ----->

Hide under whatever rock you want with your hands over your eyes. KOTOR is right here. This game is so single player focused it's not even funny.