The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Curious

xengist

I don't have a powertech.. I leveled one up to lv 11 or so and deleted him. I'm curious though on how efficient it would be to play as say a pyro or ap using ion gas to protect my healer guildies when necessary(I'd like to have the ability to switch from guard to offence as needed.) I have an assassin currently and its just not viable since you have to give up your discharge and self healing outside of tank spec is bad(which is a huge party of assassin tanking due to low mitigation).

I've also thought about juggy as rage(4k+ smashes in defensive stance is nothing to sneeze at). I am kinda torn between the two. I also have 2 friends that play juggies also so its kinda iffy if I also make one.

Edited by xengist

I don't have a powertech.. I leveled one up to lv 11 or so and deleted him. I'm curious though on how efficient it would be to play as say a pyro or ap using ion gas to protect my healer guildies when necessary(I'd like to have the ability to switch from guard to offence as needed.) I have an assassin currently and its just not viable since you have to give up your discharge and self healing outside of tank spec is bad(which is a huge party of assassin tanking due to low mitigation).

I've also thought about juggy as rage(4k+ smashes in defensive stance is nothing to sneeze at). I am kinda torn between the two. I also have 2 friends that play juggies also so its kinda iffy if I also make one.

DPS specs with IGC give up a lot of damage for a minimal amount of damage reduction and guard. Use taunt and burn down the guy attacking your healer friend is a much better option. If you want to protect your healer buddies go Shield tech.

Actually on the contrary all force and tech attacks bypass shield/parry etc completely so there is no point in tanking stats in pvp outside of the couple weapon dmg heavy classes which is marader(carnage only) and marksman snipers. Even then its not as much as you'd think due to the way expertise works. So taking a defensive tree that enhances things that don't work in pvp is kinda useless at moment.

Also crits are rolled before shield so a person with 40% crit negates almost half your shield again if it doesn't bypass it completely.

The only thing that makes most of the difference is the flat mitigation which you can get using ion cylinder as any spec. Same goes for assassin and juggy in tank stances

You can run IGC in both specs, but you lose a lot of damage like Opf said. Mainly because you won't gain any of the heat venting associated with each tree's respective cylinder.

If you like to overheat sure, have fun. While "Shield Stats" may be minimal in PvP, shield tree provides enough heat venting to allow you to do decent dps while guarding and keeping heat generally lower.

I'd expect to lose alot of damage but the ability to swich buffs(ion to combustible gas cylinder for example..) and start doing massive damage is something I'd find ideal for warzones. With vent heat you could probably burst abit also when needed.

Shield vents I'd think is unreliable since it relies on shielding attacks and heat blast is only 8 heat every 15 seconds. So its not that much different.

Plus it leaves the option to pve open as well without switching specs.

Edited by xengist

If you want to stance dance, mainly to throw guard situationally, or to hold a turret while backup is coming, then AP spec is certainly the way to go. You loose a lot more dps as a pyro switching to IGC than if you were AP.

I only use IGC right at the beginnig of a warzone to get protection medals after that Combustion cylinder all day. Its a cheap way toget medals. Like how i use dark infusion on my Madness Sorc to get the healing medals

I only use IGC right at the beginnig of a warzone to get protection medals after that Combustion cylinder all day. Its a cheap way toget medals. Like how i use dark infusion on my Madness Sorc to get the healing medals

You could just use your taunts as well since that gives protection bonus.

Thanks for the info. PT is my alt which is only lvl28 so I'm still new to it.

Yeah. A lot of people still don't know Taunts do that. Sometimes in a massive brawl you can even get the 10K with a single AOE Taunt. (If the other team has a few Juggs/Maras). It's pretty fun when that happens.

Yeah. A lot of people still don't know Taunts do that. Sometimes in a massive brawl you can even get the 10K with a single AOE Taunt. (If the other team has a few Juggs/Maras). It's pretty fun when that happens.

Im assuming Sonic Missle works the same then cause if so its really just a matter of choosing when to use the missles

Im assuming Sonic Missle works the same then cause if so its really just a matter of choosing when to use the missles

Yep it does work its great. There's really no reason for any PT not to get at least the 2k and 5k shield medals

Just walked out of a WZ with 17medals, staying in CGC all the time. Taunt/Sonic missiles while they get you all the medals you are looking for, they are a MUST use if you want to really make a difference on the battlefield. Otherwise you're just a Merc :p