The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My server is dead - we need transfers now, not in early summer

Its impressive that 1.7 million active subs are on just two servers. Que times must be crazy. Have you ever wondered why or how BW failed this bad? I guess any other company that makes the next mmo now knows to stay clear of EA unless they want a quick clean kill to their mmo development.

There are about 20 guilders of mine with "active subs" who have moved on to Tera and won't be back. That active sub count will plunge in 2-3 more months when all the 6 month initial subs run out. This doesn't make me happy but that's where SWTOR is right now.

An amazing plunge from "groundbreaking MMO game of the year" to " remeber that great storyline from KOTOR 3" in under a year due to a failure to deliver on promises and horrible, reactionary balance choices. One bad patch . . .

Free mergers/transfers VERY soon are their only chance to salvage a community and a profit.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are about 20 guilders of mine with "active subs" who have moved on to Tera and won't be back. That active sub count will plunge in 2-3 more months when all the 6 month initial subs run out. This doesn't make me happy but that's where SWTOR is right now.

An amazing plunge from "groundbreaking MMO game of the year" to " remeber that great storyline from KOTOR 3" in under a year due to a failure to deliver on promises and horrible, reactionary balance choices. One bad patch . . .

Free mergers/transfers VERY soon are their only chance to salvage a community and a profit.

You know what's funny guys? Back in beta I told everyone that this game would be another Warhammer, that LOTS of peeps would buy it and it would start out with a bang....but would die off quickly just like WAR did and sure eoungh, six months into it and only 2 really lively servers out of their billion launch servers....lame.

EA pushed Mythic to put out Warhammer before it was ready....and sure enough, EA pushed Bioware to put out SWToR before it was ready, EA just doesn't learn, they should stick to Madden and leave MMOs alone, for good.

Yes, Please, my Guild is dying we keep pushing back raid days. we have 77 members and can't get more then 6 or 7 of us together. All I do is run in circles around fleet, GTN is dead, no one is looking for group and pvp takes forever. I love this game, but come on. Fatman server is always full, it's were everyone has gone. I have my 5th alt there too, because that's all there is to do, make another alt.

You know what's funny guys? Back in beta I told everyone that this game would be another Warhammer, that LOTS of peeps would buy it and it would start out with a bang....but would die off quickly just like WAR did and sure eoungh, six months into it and only 2 really lively servers out of their billion launch servers....lame.

EA pushed Mythic to put out Warhammer before it was ready....and sure enough, EA pushed Bioware to put out SWToR before it was ready, EA just doesn't learn, they should stick to Madden and leave MMOs alone, for good.

SWTOR would already be another Warhammer had it not been for the Star Wars name.

This game is still alive just by the name "Star Wars" had it been Fantasy Wars or something like that then this game would have been dead already.

After the free month is up, I am not renewing my sub. I log in to do literaly nothing, same 4 teams rotating in warzones, run an eternity vault and kg, noone wants to do the new operation, noone wants to do the new flashpoint, and a whopping 60 people at fleet at peek times. I try to lvl an alt, noone to run flashpoints with, noone to do group quests with. That's awesome you will have server transfers in summer, to bad I wont be here to laugh my f**king *** off when I then HAVE TO PAY TO GO TO THE SERVER OF MY CHOICE

Good job for the dev team and BW maybe after this failure they will know better than to associate themselves with the worst company in the world "EA".

/Support

This is not 10 years ago if you can't make quick decision, people will just jump to another ship and you're gonna eat dirt. I would rather have them start merging servers, implement stuff that they have promised to have in 1.2 than starting working on 1.3.

i agree bw fails hardcore on this one...

my server is dying i barely login anymore... lucky i got a free month

server transfers should have been available when asia pacific got transfers

they are going to lose soooooooooooo many subs over this its comedy...

F+ BW

It's hilarious to read all these QQ posts when it was the QQ'ing about needing more servers that caused this mess in the first place....

Keep doing what you're doing BW. I'd rather things run smoothly than you rush something because the entitlement crowd has ADD.

If they leave... let them leave.... They'll be back... watch.

This thread is amazing, havent seen so many Biodrones/fanbois spaming a single thread in long time, i feel your pain guys, it has to be exhausting to defend something that has no rational defense.

Its been more than 2 months since most servers became dead or almost dead (barely unplayable) and now people talks about not rushing on solution ROFL, A server transfer is just a silly piece of code, a web interface, a couple database scripts and you have it.

The reason is not tech, if it was tech EA should take action with this game's developers aptitude. The reason is in the field of marketing department.

*Sniff* I smell a /v/irgin.

Have you guys notice that in Tomb of Freedom Nad (EU) there are not any more Ques to enter the game not even on prime time?

This is a sign BW.....if you can't read between the lines you will go in to decline sooner than you expect!

Have a nice day!

The worst part is not the dead servers itself, the worst is the irrational position BW is taking, delaying free transfers, we were told transfers would come right after APAC, and now we are told early summer (almost 3 months after APAC end), also we are told this will not be a server of choice transfer, it will be a promotional servers transfer, WHY? because tech? because fear to overpoplated servers? NO, we will have paid server of choice trans, its because they have seen the oportunity to do some cash.

Nothing wrong on wanting to do some cash, but you CAN'T cash with a PROBLEM you have created, dead servers are BW's fault, their bad decissions on server caps at launch, the unfinished state of the game at launch and the lack of the most common MMO features at launch are the reason behind dead servers.

For a good two months now, community has been asking for transfers, pointing to it as top priority, transfers are not an incredible difficult process, you dont need to change game's code to its core, its just a little piece of external code, some database tweaking, a few database scripts and a web interface, but they need to delay it until "early summer" ... maybe they were lazy, maybe they couldnt foresee something everyone palying on a dead server was? i dont know, but for me it looks like a marketing department decission, sad.

Edited by recsa

@ recsa.

I don't call this marketing I call this bad marketing!

Or maybe they are like crack dealers, they know that GW2 is coming and Secret world also and they want to create some noise at same time those games come to market, but then it will be late.

Edited by Szadek

For a good two months now, community has been asking for transfers, pointing to it as top priority, transfers are not an incredible difficult process.

It apparently is, but thats what happens when you take an engine, that just does not have things that players consider BASIC like addons, macros, server transfers, and so on. The engine can support those things but the game developer has to add them by themselves. As we can see Bioware just didnt.

Funny thing is curently there are 2 games using Hero Engine - SWTOR and something called Faxion Online, the latter released on May 26th 2011 and shut down on Aug 24th.

Another fact I find hillarious is that The Elder Scrolls Online will be using Hero engine :)

It's hilarious to read all these QQ posts when it was the QQ'ing about needing more servers that caused this mess in the first place....

Keep doing what you're doing BW. I'd rather things run smoothly than you rush something because the entitlement crowd has ADD.

If they leave... let them leave.... They'll be back... watch.

You make the mistaken assumption that these are the same people who whined about needing more servers at launch. Personally, I knew something like this would happen if they spewed forth with extra servers and I really didn't mind the queue times. I knew it would die down eventually.

It apparently is, but thats what happens when you take an engine

Server transfers are not related at all to engine, as much as i dislike the infamous HERO engine, it is not responsible of Kenedy's assasination nor the server transfers delay.

For a good two months now, community has been asking for transfers, pointing to it as top priority, transfers are not an incredible difficult process, you dont need to change game's code to its core, its just a little piece of external code, some database tweaking, a few database scripts and a web interface, but they need to delay it until "early summer" ... maybe they were lazy, maybe they couldnt foresee something everyone palying on a dead server was? i dont know, but for me it looks like a marketing department decission, sad.

An interesting coincidence is the fact that EA's 1st fiscal quarter ends on June 30th.

Edited by ironix

Just give us server transfers now, please.

Early summer will be too late for many people such as myself with the release of new games.

If you have X amount of resources invested into server transfers, change it to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (Alot of X's, okay!)

My server is starting to visibly dwindle, and others are on servers that are practically barren.

Put the MMO back into your game, BW.

And do it now.

Edited by Nyjin

Server transfers are not related at all to engine, as much as i dislike the infamous HERO engine, it is not responsible of Kenedy's assasination nor the server transfers delay.

You are mistaken, everything that you can do in the game as a player or as the game administrator is limited by the engine.

If you would spend a minute reading about Hero Engine, what things it supports in the "vanilla package" and what things can be added by those who make a game with this engine.

Hero Engine can support add-ons, just needs the game developer to add it. Hero engine has basic functions that need to be developed in the correct direction. To put it in simple words - Hero Engine can support alot of things, but developers has to actually implement it.

Edited by Adderdin

It apparently is, but thats what happens when you take an engine, that just does not have things that players consider BASIC like addons, macros, server transfers, and so on. The engine can support those things but the game developer has to add them by themselves. As we can see Bioware just didnt.

Funny thing is curently there are 2 games using Hero Engine - SWTOR and something called Faxion Online, the latter released on May 26th 2011 and shut down on Aug 24th.

Another fact I find hillarious is that The Elder Scrolls Online will be using Hero engine :)

'players' definte add-ons and macros 'basic'?

LOL

You are mistaken, everything that you can do in the game as a player or as the game administrator is limited by the engine.

If you would spend a minute reading about Hero Engine, what things it supports in the "vanilla package" and what things can be added by those who make a game with this engine.

Hero Engine can support add-ons, just needs the game developer to add it. Hero engine has basic functions that need to be developed in the correct direction. To put it in simple words - Hero Engine can support alot of things, but developers has to actually implement it.

I'm afraid you are mistaken. A game's engine is a completely separate entity from the databases that hold player data. While it is true that the engine interfaces with the database, there is nothing stopping a database administrator from deleting, inserting, changing, or moving records around.

Hero Engine can support add-ons, just needs the game developer to add it.

add-on are indeed related to the engine, developer needs to tweak and open the API, the engine is ready (or should be) to read those customization files and process them, but we are not talking about add-ons here, we are talking about Server transfers.

Engine gets character info (name, lvl, spec, items, legacy, .......) from a database, they just need to add character info to the appropiate tables/database, trust me, Engine is not the bad guy here, point to Engine on client performance, point to engine on stupid HD overusage, but regarding server transfers, point to Daniel Erickson and his superiors.