voice acting - a silly view

Vootu

long ago in a galaxy far far away, there were NPC's from wales, yorkshire, manchester and lots of other earth regions.

i find it incredibly amusing when i talk to some imperial officer on a distant planet and he greets me with the equivalent of "eyup chuck!"

i would have thought that accents would be a little more exotic perhaps.....

;)

Edited by Averran
ic, mild but he continued later

Unless they make up accents unlike anything on earth, people are bound to hear accents that resemble their own. Someone from the UK is going to be able to hear specific regional accents where people from America would just hear "British accent" that is common to Imperials in all of SW.

Narrow-minded, but a fact. People recognize their sub-accents of their area better than foreigners. I'm from the American South. I could probably tell the difference between a Texas Southern Accent and Alabama Southern Accent if I tried. But to someone outside that region of America, they'd sound the same. It's just a fact of constant exposure to the accents that you pick up on the subtleties.

i guess that is as narrow minded a view as me saying i couldnt understand the difference between say a new yorker and a texan......

well in that case you have to take regional size into context. the US south has a distinctive accent compared to New York, however in the big cities of the south your not as likely to hear that "Twang" in everyday speech. and if your not from the US unless your a fan of the Wild west genera of movies i wouldn't expect someone to pick up on those geographical idiosyncrasy of speech just like how most Americans cannot tell the difference between the accents from the UK or austrailia, and the geographical deviants.

actually, this all started in empire...

more amercian imperial accents than brittish in a new hope ;)

Indeed. I think for the most part, this was a result of Peter Cushing's fantastic performance as Grand Moff Tarkin. It really just set the stage.

Naturally the bad guys are British (Imps) while the good guys are American (Pubs)

I would enjoy more scousers though, especially saying ALL RITE! ALL RITE! CALM DOWN!! when you pick a renegade option.

Well TOR's British accents are explained as being a Dromund Kaas Imperial accent. Dromund Kaas is a big world. Maybe those regional accents are just from people from varying regions of Dromund Kaas.

I know Obi-Wan's English-sounding accent in the prequels was said to be a Coruscanti accent.

There are definitely a lot of British sounding accents. I have no clue about what regions they're from, since I've never actually been to the UK or talked to enough people from that area to learn the regional dialects. (I've talked to people from England, but I generally didn't know where in England they were from so even if I picked up on an accent I had no way to connect it to a specific area...)

Just accept my explanation. Regional British accents are just regional Dromund Kaas accents.

You did make me laugh with the "Kaas is a big world" part, I instantly thought "Hmmm, they must have an accent for each of the 4 (FOUR!!!) zones." *cough* :D

I guess some peoples idea of big differs from others. ;)

You did make me laugh with the "Kaas is a big world" part, I instantly thought "Hmmm, they must have an accent for each of the 4 (FOUR!!!) zones." *cough* :D

I guess some peoples idea of big differs from others. ;)

Obviously the world is bigger in lore. There's codex and quest references to other cities across the planet. We players are just in the areas in and around Kaas City, areas that matter to the current plot. We only explore a very tiny area of each planet we go to. You think all of Coruscant is the tiny area around/under the Senate Plaza/Starport? Ditto to Dromund Kaas. There are other regions we don't visit, and I refer to those regions.

the whole point really was that STRONG regional voice acting from ANYWHERE in the world (earth) has no place in a galactic setting.

im sure voice actors with very very generic english voices could have been found.

whilst it isnt game breaking or anything like important, i just find it amusing....hence the "silly view" in the thread title

I like that there's a differentiation with accents across faction. Making up an authentic sounding accent would be difficult, and then teaching it to the hundreds of voice actors....nightmare.

And anything said with a British accent just sounds more cool/******ed/awesome.

long ago in a galaxy far far away, there were NPC's from wales, yorkshire, manchester and lots of other earth regions.

i find it incredibly amusing when i talk to some imperial officer on a distant planet and he greets me with the equivalent of "eyup chuck!"

i would have thought that accents would be a little more exotic perhaps.....

;)

With all due respect, I can not possibly see how humans, who have only heard "earth accents" can possibly mimic something they have no experience of (non-earth accents)?

It seems pretty logical to me.

With all due respect, I can not possibly see how humans, who have only heard "earth accents" can possibly mimic something they have no experience of (non-earth accents)?

It seems pretty logical to me.

It's possible, just difficult. People have created completely artificial languages, after all.

It's possible, just difficult. People have created completely artificial languages, after all.

Yes, this is very true, and we do already see this in the game. That being the case, how much more "exotic" does the OP want it to get? Is "Ootini" not good enough anymore? Sheesh.. kids these days!

Oh, and also, the word I used was mimic. Like I say, we can not mimic things we know not of. We can only then be creators (such as in your argument).

Yes, this is very true, and we do already see this in the game. That being the case, how much more "exotic" does the OP want it to get? Is "Ootini" not good enough anymore? Sheesh.. kids these days!

Oh, and also, the word I used was mimic. Like I say, we can not mimic things we know not of. We can only then be creators (such as in your argument).

I think you make a good point. I suspect, though I've not read much about it, that accents are more difficult to create than actual languages.

Especially if you're already using a known language. If the accent becomes too bizarre, people will have trouble understanding it.

There has been tons of research on this over the years. What it shows is that the stronger the accent is that somebody grew up with, the less likely they are to be able to distinguish between other accents. People that grew up with very slight or more neutral accents are far more capable of picking up on slight differences between accents.

Somebody from the american south that grew up surrounded by everyone speaking with a very heavy southern drawl isn't likely to be able to tell the difference between somebody from minnesota and somebody from canada. But somebody from an area with a more neutral speech pattern very likely would.

There has been tons of research on this over the years. What it shows is that the stronger the accent is that somebody grew up with, the less likely they are to be able to distinguish between other accents. People that grew up with very slight or more neutral accents are far more capable of picking up on slight differences between accents.

Somebody from the american south that grew up surrounded by everyone speaking with a very heavy southern drawl isn't likely to be able to tell the difference between somebody from minnesota and somebody from canada. But somebody from an area with a more neutral speech pattern very likely would.

You're right. There's an accent "spectrum" and if you're in the middle zone, it's easier to tell the difference.

Well, if the Imperials do tend to be British, at least their version of English is more intelligible than Huttese :) And you know, the British had a real-life empire at one point so the voice acting seems a lot more believable than if a Grand Moff sounded like he was from Appalachia, e.g.