Legacy name Reset

Cyphen

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I'm utterly shaken by the ignorance of you people here. How difficult is it, to take a short time to enter a valid and non-stupid Legacy name? The Legacy-feature has been announced everywhere - all of you know that all your characters on the server share it. Why would you take the prompt so lightly? Why would you even THINK about entering your character's first name?

You people amaze me to no end...

For me I typo'd by accident and the fact it doesn't prompt you asking if it's what you want instead instantly accepting it is a bad design for something that will affect you for the rest of the game :/

Wow. I'm utterly shaken by the ignorance of you people here. How difficult is it, to take a short time to enter a valid and non-stupid Legacy name? The Legacy-feature has been announced everywhere - all of you know that all your characters on the server share it. Why would you take the prompt so lightly? Why would you even THINK about entering your character's first name?

Yeah, who would have thought that this game might have people playing it that have not been following the forums and press releases over the past few years like some of us have. And really, why aren't these people posting in the "New Player Help" forum experts already?

The fact is, this system was poorly thought out and poorly implemented.

-All characters, regardless of faction or species, share the same last name/legacy "family"

-It's the most permanent decision in the entire game. A character name is only permanent on that character, and deleting the character is at least a possibility. The legacy name is applied to all characters on the server and cannot be deleted, even by deleting your characters.

-There is no confirmation prompt when entering the most universal and permanent feature of the whole game.

-The system modifies names (see the hyphenated capitalization example) rather than outright rejecting them and giving the person a chance to modify.

And those are just the obvious issues.

It's a system that they rushed to implement at the last minute. It didn't get much testing at all. It's just the bare-minimum of the system to get their "foot in the door", so to speak, allowing for later fleshing-out.

I messed up on my Legacy name creation as well. I never knew this was implemented into the game or even the beta. Bioware and no one else said anything to the public about this. There is no option of resetting the name witch in my opinion will make a lot of players angry and go back to WoW even. So if someone from the Dev team can see this post and push it up to the Bioware Headquarters for them to implement a Legacy name reset but that will cost the players credits or something then please do so. This implementation needs to be put in immediately.

I never liked the sound of the Legacy system last name feature. It really makes no sense, particularly when chances are, all of your characters will be different races.

It'd make more sense to have a Legacy "title" along the lines of being a member of a clan or fraternal organization, something like "of Blah-de-blah" noting that the Human Bounty Hunter and the Twi-Lek Inquisitor belong to a linked organization but aren't related by birth.

Just curious, are the names shared across factions, ie: your Jedi and Sith share the same Legacy last name? If this is accurate, that makes even LESS sense.

What do you mean YOU people? :D

I never liked the sound of the Legacy system last name feature. It really makes no sense, particularly when chances are, all of your characters will be different races.

It'd make more sense to have a Legacy "title" along the lines of being a member of a clan or fraternal organization, something like "of Blah-de-blah" noting that the Human Bounty Hunter and the Twi-Lek Inquisitor belong to a linked organization but aren't related by birth.

Just curious, are the names shared across factions, ie: your Jedi and Sith share the same Legacy last name? If this is accurate, that makes even LESS sense.

Well, the one and only thing, in my opinion, that they did right with the legacy name is allow it to be set as a title, just as you have suggested above.

But. . . It is cross-factional. So, yes, your Imperial and Republic characters are somehow bonded across factions.

For me I typo'd by accident and the fact it doesn't prompt you asking if it's what you want instead instantly accepting it is a bad design for something that will affect you for the rest of the game :/

Typos I give you. And I totally agree that there should be a prompt to confirm. :)

• 2 weeks later...
To people who recommend turning it off - does that just disable it from your point of view - others still see it right?

I haven't got that far yet. Idea sounds rubbish anyway so I will ignore it most likely.

In preferences, I could set it so I did not see my name on my character but other players could. In the same section, you can either have the last name version or switch it to 'surname legacy' under your toons first name only name.

I am being forced to change my Legacy name because someone reported it offensive. Now I have no idea what to make the new one. Had the name Uglyfoot McTitties, not sure what is so offensive about that but thank you to whoever on Tarro Blood reported it.

Finally someone with something resembling an official answer. I've already got my surname picked out. I'll tell no one what it is until I implement it, of course. What level do we get it, by the way? Is it 20 or 30?

When you finish your act 1 class quest (I did it at 27, but it's a 30 level quest)

I do agree that the option of a reset (for a fee) would be nice for some situations. But honestly, If you enter something stupid and are blaming it on the system... Make intelligent decisions, or ones you are confident of, and/or suffer the consequences. It is a fun system that I am excited to see fleshed out. If you need your hand held through every decision, should you really be on the internet?

Not meaning to offend anyone if I did, simply don't understand how most people are blaming the system for their misnaming problem. For those with names forced on them, yeah, that sucks :D.

So is that a possibility or I am now stuck with stupid legacy name? (I know, why did I even pick it in the first place) .... "Deaths'demise" ....

Yep, terrible.

Don't feel bad. My character's name is Nobum Berrific. My roommate loves it. She picked it. Now she laugh's every time she watches me play the game. :p

Kind of rolls off the tongue, though.

I'm desperate for an option to change my legacy name. I'd even pay for it. I also liked the idea (which someone posted somewhere) that every time you finish chapter 1 with a new character, you would get the option to change the name.

Any possibility would do, as long as it happens fairly quickly (though I understand that more important things have to be attended to first), because otherwise I'm fairly sure that I'll have no chance at any of the names I'm hoping to change my current one into.

Please? Pretty please with slave girl outfit Leia on top?

Well, despite the fact that, yes the system could be tweaked to prevent typing issues and to warn you that some capitals are gonna be changed, despite the fact that the pop up should indeed been anoying (I guess because I never saw it,I actually had to go find that pop up by opening the skill tree window), despite the fact that maybe the game should warn you a bit more about the consequences of your decision, despite all this it was not that hard to think for a moment and pick a good name that would suits your characters and your playstyle and NOT to misspell it, I mean, is that SO hard to check what you type before hitting "enter"?

Regarding the fact that lots of good names are not available anymore, well I guess it's one of those perks you get by leveling fast (unlike me, I had to pick my legacy as late as yesterday), but, the galaxy is vast and so is the range of names one could pick. It took me ten minutes to get it right, but now my four craft dedicated characters will have the "Starcrafter" legacy. It's consistent with the Star Wars Universe, it's kind of a tribute to another famous game, but most of all it says what I wanted : this character is a dedicated crafter : call him/her whenever you need something done. (no charge, just bring your mats on Rogue Moon republic side)

"Sabersmith Starcrafter" or "Armorsmith Starcrafter" how does it sounds hu? ^^

(not to mention "Bikini Starcrafter" who makes hell of swimsuits to swim the milky way) :cool:

In short : read, think, and type carefully :)

Edited by Bikini

Just as a heads up, They WILL NOT change your Legacy name or reset it unless it violates the naming policy. Out of ignorance on my part i named my legacy the same name as my toon, so i get to run around with a double name unless i turn it off in options. I put in 2 tickets and even called and got told the same thing everytime "Unfortunatly we cant change it unless it violates the naming policy". I'll say this though, at least when i played WoW the Reps i dealt with bent over backwards for me at least, and did all they could to help me. Poor Customer service and policies are for the birds. What happened to the customer is always right, and Customer First policies. Not "Oh well, Guess you're stuck with it"

Seriously! I have a double name too, and they told me they couldn't fix it. WoW GM's were WAY better than these hard-nosed Bioware guys... no customer service what-so-ever...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.