Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend. SWTOR or GW2, what do you prefer?

xeenz

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, not from what Im reading so far, but Im sure the press will keep overhyping the game like there's no tomorrow :p

ya,ive heard the pvp really isnt living up to its hype

or at least thats what all the ex daoc's say.which is the big thing that ive heard hyped up for gw2.its pvp is suppose to be on the same level as daoc

in all honesty though.if i can pvp at lvl 1 in gw2,and have it be like im pvping at max level,which from what ive read.you can do,then ill probably end up playing both anyway.i mean,i have no life its not like i dont have the time lol

Edited by CrunkShizzle

Comparing GW2 to SWTOR isn't really fair. They are different styles of games. As much as I enjoy SWTOR it is a permutation of WoW which was the final evolutionary step for the EQ style games. GW2 follows GW1 which was trying to create a team oriented competitive PvP game, hence the ability to have a max level character from the start.

Many of the people complaining about the GW2 beta weekend I have spoken to were never players of the original game. If you come to GW2 expecting something like WoW or SWTOR you will be disappointed. Arenanet fleshed out the PvE side more to cater towards those who want persistent worlds but the real focus will end up on the WvW and the ladder PvP.

That said, I prefer GW2. This is not because SWTOR is a bad game, but because I have played GW since launch (and still do) and like what GW2 is doing. For me its not an either or choice. I have money and time so I will play both.

By all means :D

- Dodgy animations, especially when strafing

- Dynamic events aren't new or original (WAR), plus they reset and don't actually affect the game/landscape.

- Structured/Instanced PvP is pretty shocking, especially in 1v1 as it usually ends in a stalemate until someone else joins the fight.

- The downed mechanic adds nothing good to the game, its a hindrance, especially in PvP. Zooming in when you are downed makes it even worse.

- There is a pretty noticeable ability delay, and no I don't think its lag.

- Voice acting is horrible

- Having cut scenes in front of a static background is lazy work and doesn't make you feel immersed in the game.

- Getting rid of the "holy trinity" was a mistake IMO.

- The classes are too similar to each other. Ranged doesn't have to be ranged, melee doesn't have to be melee, in the end there is nothing distinctive about each class (apart from maybe the engineer)

- The lack of abilities is shocking.

- the lack of shift modifiers.

- The dodge mechanic, clunky especially under the default double tapping the move keys (lol) for PvP players you end up doing movements you do not wish to do.

- The "boss" scale bugs a lot.

- Socially the game is awful, no say or yell, just local which barely anyone uses.

that's what I can think of from the top of my head.

Edit-

Oh and to top it off, arena net will slowly kill the game off by introducing a TON of expansions in a fairly short amount of time that will segregate their playerbase, like what happened in GW1.

Edited by Jagerinho

Also in terms of graphics it pretty much blows Swtor away.

I stopped reading there.. I thought the graphics were horrible, outdated and too anime like.

For me personally, GW2 didn't feel that "next-gen" MMO.

Probs gonna play it casually from time to time but I will stick to SWTOR as long as I get my dungeon finder tool.

and playing hutball in swtor is just mad fun right

Actually it is, and that type of mechanic was brand new in swtor, I also find the new warzone Novera Coast very enjoyable. Make no mistake, GW2 instanced pvp has not shown anything to say it's better than swtor's, the only thing they have that swtor doesnt is world pvp, for now.

Not planning to resub swtor after the 30 free day extension. I feel I've given it more than a shot, but I just can't handle pvp on my low pop server anymore. Pubs are essentially an 8-man premade each time we draw them in the queue because I think there are literally 8 good (read FOTM classes) pub pvpers who queue up, while the 40 Imps that queue may sport one decent team if they're lucky with all the fresh 50s and bads that get thrown in the mix.

So...hello GW2 - hope there are enough players in that game to support a healthy pvp community.

i played around 5+ hours each day of the beta and i prefer gw2 over swtor which is saying something since i'm a huge sci-fi fan and would rather play a game dealing with aliens, spaceships, wormholes, advanced medicine over the whole old fantasy style of game with myth elements.

the main reason being is gw2 encourages you to explore, they put effort into the worlds and you can go off into parts you want to and you're likely to find something interesting. just going off underwater and exploring or exploring caves really takes me back to why i got into mmo's in the first place. it was a very welcomed and needed thing for me.

the graphics are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better, swtor's graphics are a disgrace in the year 2012.

some people had issues with lag and login, i experienced no such problem.. it worked pretty flawlessly throughout even with 30+ people on the screen in events.

obviously the swtor voice acting completely destroys gw2 voice acting in every way, shape and form.

and the writing in swtor is better in my opinion.. but at the end of the day, story.. in a game isn't the end all, if i want good story i will usually read a book, watch a movie or television series... it's not a dealbreaker of a game doesn't have some great story. i'm more about exploring the worlds and atmospheres in games.

the only thing i found myself missing from swtor was the legacy.

i like the little legacy i have built up in swtor.

all that being said, i've had a free month with swtor and i've only logged in a few times and i'm considering uninstalling. the game just is not that good in so many areas. the graphics/worlds/soullessness/no exploration/the paint by numbers linear style of it... it's just so blarg.

i'm going to be keeping my eye on swtor in the future to see what direction it goes in but i have my feet out the door.

gw2 beta was extremely fun. i knew it was overhyped and wouldn't be the best game ever so i didn't have those expectations, i had fun which is the point of games.. and i don't have fun in swtor.

i wish swtor was better cuz i prefer sci-fi elements but such is life.

Edited by teambff

Well, after a a weekend of GW2 and a lvl 21 character all i've got to say is:

Boy, i missed you SWTOR.

GW2 just didn't live up to my expectations. I was hoping for a game like GW1 and not a WoW clone. If i'm to play another WoW clone i'll stick with SWTOR that is the best around.

Just saying:

In Swtor you begin the game fighting some space slugs in a corridor.

In GW2 you fight waves of 3 meter tall centaurs and a golem as big as a church. And this is just the tutorial.

After that tutorial I ended up feeding cows, watering some plants.. yeah really epic stuff. :rolleyes:

Edited by Skorz

Are you guys trolling or does that actually happen?

Actually happens.

I had to kill rats and clean the forge in a quest. In the other i had to gather food for baby bears, and in the other i had to clear oil from the river.

If only we were..... after the tutorial event the norn starting area basically turns into gathering raven eggs and putting them back in to their nests, catching fish to feed hungry bear cubs, digging up food for hungry bunnies and helping a pack of wolves hunt some raccoons - epic stuff. Doesn't quite hold up to Ord Mantell or Hutta.

There is however some pretty interesting stuff later on but the whole "dynamic event" thing just comes across as glorified grinding to me, especially the renown hearts... World events are pretty cool though.

Edited by The-Vortex

it's an area quest to help this farmer out, you can water corn, or feed a cow, or you can destroy these worms in the garden.. the thing is that it gives you a choice of how you want to play it out, and in this area while you're doing the stuff an event pops with bandits running in from all over.

so, it's not as boring as they're trying to make it out to be. it didn't feel grindy to me or "go do this", if i wanted to water the corn i did, etc.

you can complete the quest without watering the corn or feeding the cow and you can just fight the worms if you want.

Edited by teambff

And the worst part: The voice acting.

Every time a Charr Npc is said something i felt like i was dying inside.

yeah, i don't think anyone can claim that gw2 voice acting is anywhere near the quality of swtor.

then again, does voice acting really matter? i guess if it means that much to you... i could easily play a game without any voice acting and put music on, actually.. i'd prefer that alot of the time.

yeah, i don't think anyone can claim that gw2 voice acting is anywhere near the quality of swtor.

then again, does voice acting really matter?

For me it kind of does, I remember the first time I played Metal Gear Solid I was blown away it was a very different experience from other games I played before

That is the game aside from the pretty lame and generic story quest

Aha... aha. A SWTOR player, calling stories and quests lame? This is too rich. If you think any of the stories in THIS game are intriguing or original, you have been living under a rock for the past 100 years. The stories in this game are mediocre at best. The difference is Bioware blew all their money on story and voice acting and forgot everything else.

Let's see, where to begin...

1. Dynamic Events: These are fun, they remind me of Warhammer. They're nothing new or revolutionary, but they're a nice step away from the usual quest system. It's nothing extremely exciting, but it's a nice change.

2. Graphics: GW2 is beautiful, even at less than max graphics. SWTOR didn't even have the option for max graphics at launch, or even for months afterwards. Even though it was advertised in every video and promotion. Lol.

3. Living Worlds - Guild Wars 2 environments feel alive. NPC's wander around, talk to each other, yell out to you, attack stuff. Enemies roam around and you have to hunt for some of them. There are environmental effects. This makes the worlds feel alive, rather than the static and boring 'worlds' of SWTOR.

4. Performance - I am running the game on mostly max settings, and I still get 60fps during PvP. Yes, it is a little less during WvW, but that is to be expected with so many players on the screen. SWTOR take a frame-rate hit when there's 20 people on the screen, when you see 20 people in game that is. Which leads me to my next point....

5. People - The Dynamic Events and the placement of them ensure that you always see other people. I realize it was the Beta Weekend, so there were a lot of people online, but I saw more people in 5 minutes than I saw in the whole 5 months of playing SWTOR.

6. PvP - It actually happens in GW2. WvW is extremely fun, and a million times better than Illum ever was. The "battlegrounds" are much more fun than SWTOR's closed off, boring Warzones.

7. Combat - It feels extremely fluid compared to SWTOR. It's not perfect, but it's far superior to the ability delay that is still present in this game.

8. Customization - Just the character creation screen is a million times better than SWTOR's. You have a body height slider, choose from multiple body types, customize your characters face with sliders. Then there's the fact that you can dye your armor, not just "match to chest" like in this game. You have multiple weapon combinations to work with, opening completely unique abilities depending on what you choose. The list goes on and on.

I could keep going, and obviously most of the fanboys here are going to try and deconstruct this post. I could care less. GW2, although not perfect, is YEARS ahead of this game. And it's in BETA. May people are criticizing the voice acting in GW2... and all I can say is this: Bioware spent most of their budget on voice acting, and look where it got them.

Edited by TheLightningLord

I had a bit of a crack at GW2 over the weekend end not as huge crack as I would like got tied up sleeping in, need my beauty sleep ;-). But I must admit what I did see didn't pique my interest as much as I was hoping.

For now my SWTOR subscription is safe, I really like SWTOR the story is impressive but customer support is lacking.

I did like the dynamic events though that was really cool but they really only work when the population is high so works well on launch day or beta weekends but once the servers settle they are wasted. I found with those type of events in Rift that once everyone had trounced the content there just where not enough people getting around the low level areas to complete these events with out dieing 50 times.

I found GW2 character array quite nice, but the interface felt lacking can't put my finger on it. I have always been a fan of the WoW Interface, well once it has been reskined etc via addons. And SWTOR UI reminds me a lot of what I used in WoW so I felt instantly comfortable in SWTOR.

So for now my money is still with SWTOR but I have pre-ordered GW2 and if it polishes itself up well we will see, I only really justify paying one MMO sub at a time.... So BioWare you have a reprieve for now lets hope you use it well.