Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

How to destroy Mar/Sents.

Rmog

I'm far from pro but I consider myself to be decent, I'd defintely put myself on the top 5 DPS Sorc list on my server and perhaps even as number 3. The other day I managed to grab the top DPS spot in 8 out of 11 games against classes that many now consider to be OP. So in terms of "total dps" I still find the Sorc to be highly useful.

That said, I will never stand a chance against a decent Mara (read: played by someone with a skill equivalent to my own). I beat plenty of Maras 1 vs 1, or as 1 vs 1 it can get when 14 other players are running around you, but I'm probably a far better player than they are, just like I considered myself to be better than 98 % of the sorcs back when they hadnt re-rolled as Maras.

Yesterday, while not being signed in, I came across a post in which a guy claimed that he, as a sorc, consistently owned that particular server's best, and in WH gear, Maras. That has to be the biggest load of crap I've ever read or he's simply unfamiliar with what a decent/good Mara is.

I guess the point is that you have to put things in perspective to where you find yourself on the "skill ladder". If you're really good with your class you shouldnt get steamrolled by everyone of another class. If you do there's probably a problem. If you on the other hand is the best player on the server and find another class to be manageable you have to take into consideration that you are not representing the majority and that the same majority might actually have a problem with the class, in which case there's probably a problem too.

I'm not really buying into the whole counter argument that PvP doesnt revolve around individual classes either. If the majority deems one or two classes to be superior then that's what the majority eventually will play. So while not being a big deal in a team consisting of several classes it wont take long until such teams wont exist.

Edited by MidichIorian

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a question for you. How long can you keep up transcendance?.

10 secs. But in combat tree you get extra speed skills.

1) An increase to the speed buff from transcendence

2) Also, you can skill for an passive extra 15% combat speed if in ataru form

You people are so full of it.

I'd give 5 million credits to anyone who can successfully kite me, other than a sniper.

We have just as many anti-kiting tools as you have kiting tools. The only class that can negate this, as I said, are snipers, because we can't leap to them.

Leap

15% permanent movement speed increase

Spammable snare at no focus cost

Stealth which breaks roots and increases movement speed

80% speed increase through transcendence

Master strike which roots

Crippling throw which roots

Force stasis

CC breaker

Awe with no focus cost

Yeah, you aren't kiting me liars.

**** is this a Sentinal that realizes how overpowered his class is? its a miracle.

I got a question for you. How long can you keep up transcendance?

There is this sentinel on my server who is constantly sprinting around in EVERY fight. Not every WZ, but every single time I see this chick she is sprinting in combat. That seems ridiculously OP'd to me. Thing is, she is the only one I've seen do this all the time. Can you always have 30 stacks of centering at all times? I mean, she comes of the speeder and starts bolting.

I'm just checking because I am under the impression she has some kinfd of transcendance/centering hack.

I can eat my humble pie like a man. I was totally only thinking of the Annihilation/Watchman spec. Totally my bad. Apologies.

This.

I loooove Mara's and Jugg's on my GS in particular the new ones who dossent know that i cant be jumped to in cover.... The Way they stand there jumping up n down trying to figure out why they cant leap up and rock my World is alot of fun.

This right here.

Mara/sent is not op. I was running around hutball killing at will as usual and this sniper starts wrecking me from an upper lvl, so I keep trying to jump to him till I realize that I cant cuz he is in cover...LOL it WAS pretty funny. I had to run all the way around to get him and by that time I died. Even with guarded by the force and all the cooldowns.

But I did find a solution. Go closer and use force stasis. That pulls them out of cover and you leap while it channels near the end. They cant drop back into cover fast enough. Then Its OVAH

This right here.

Mara/sent is not op. I was running around hutball killing at will as usual and this sniper starts wrecking me from an upper lvl, so I keep trying to jump to him till I realize that I cant cuz he is in cover...LOL it WAS pretty funny. I had to run all the way around to get him and by that time I died. Even with guarded by the force and all the cooldowns.

But I did find a solution. Go closer and use force stasis. That pulls them out of cover and you leap while it channels near the end. They cant drop back into cover fast enough. Then Its OVAH

OK so let me get this straight really fast

Sent vs shadow = win

sent vs sage = win

sent vs commando = win

sent vs vanguard = win

sent vs guardian = win

sent vs smuggler = win

sent vs sniper = might lose.

your right looks pretty balanced to me.

You do realize half of that stuff is from the weakest tree and some of it is wrong don't you?

Oh yeah man, being an unpeelable armor ignoring monster is soooo weak. Not to mention the ability to target swap on a dime and blow someone up. Can't kill the guarded healer? that's cool, just Precision Slash and maul the tank.

Elaborate on why it's the weakest tree. This is always thrown around and never explained.

Sent vs shadow = win

sent vs sage = win

sent vs commando = win

sent vs vanguard = win

sent vs guardian = win

sent vs smuggler = win

If a shadow can't beat a sentinel they are garbage, or to be fair, undergeared. My jug has no issues with sentinels nor does my operative, but I heal so I kite them around (bring back the laugh bioware) while my team kills them. My sorc is the toughest but imploring a kite like an ethiopian trackstar technique has helped me out of many tight situations. I also know what to look for, what stances they are in and what skills to expect next. It makes it a lot easier.

Crying on the forums never made anyone a better player.

Sent vs shadow = win

sent vs sage = win

sent vs commando = win

sent vs vanguard = win

sent vs guardian = win

sent vs smuggler = win

vs shadow = tank:loss, dps: 50/50, ignorant player: win

vs sage = real healer: draw - give up, dps: win, ignorant player: instagib

vs vanguard = tank: loss, dps: win 75/25, ignorant player: win

vs commando = healer: win if they dont call for help, dps: 50/50, ignorant player = win

vs guardian = tank: loss, dps: win 75/25, ignorant player = win

vs smuggler = healer: draw-give up, dps: 50/50 - depends on cds, ignorant player = win

vs sniper = loss, ignorant player = win

though i am talking about skilled, and equil geared, players. With your history of whining, forum nerf calls, and etc...id place you in the ignorant player category which is almost always a win.

vs shadow = tank:loss, dps: 50/50, ignorant player: win

vs sage = real healer: draw - give up, dps: win, ignorant player: instagib

vs vanguard = tank: loss, dps: win 75/25, ignorant player: win

vs commando = healer: win if they dont call for help, dps: 50/50, ignorant player = win

vs guardian = tank: loss, dps: win 75/25, ignorant player = win

vs smuggler = healer: draw-give up, dps: 50/50 - depends on cds, ignorant player = win

vs sniper = loss, ignorant player = win

though i am talking about skilled, and equil geared, players. With your history of whining, forum nerf calls, and etc...id place you in the ignorant player category which is almost always a win.

Haha no. 50/50 commando dps? Right there you lose any credibility with me because i know for a fact that's wrong.

Haha no. 50/50 commando dps? Right there you lose any credibility with me because i know for a fact that's wrong.

Like i said, it requires an intelligent player behind the keyboard for the numbers i listed. You need to go to the end of the lists to see your chances based on class.

I have done a lot of studying to figure out how to beat these classes. I have video and stats to back it up. I did this NFL style watching game tape. Steps are below!

1. Kite! - Can't kite, rooted.

2. Kite more! - Can't kite, force choked.

3. More kiting! - Whoa what's this, rooted again?

Now if there was one MORE kite in these steps then maybe, but at that point you're already dead. Unless you're facing baddies who don't root or stun or interrupt or force choke or leap... lol.

10 secs. But in combat tree you get extra speed skills.

1) An increase to the speed buff from transcendence

2) Also, you can skill for an passive extra 15% combat speed if in ataru form

Yeah, I know about the 10 secs. But after that wears off how long will it take to get 30 stacks of centering? How much do you get per ability activation and per kill?

This person is sprinting way longer than 10 secs.

This right here.

You can't base your argument for how not OP'd someone is by using a fight with a class that is anti-melee by design. Melee classes will never be able to beat a competent sniper. EVER. He has 2-3 abilites that could have knocked you right back off that walkway. 2 of which have a 5 sec root.

Sent vs shadow = win

sent vs sage = win

sent vs commando = win

sent vs vanguard = win

sent vs guardian = win

sent vs smuggler = win

All those classes, but one, can beat a sentinel. Only sorc is impossble (and I hear commando). And sniper will definitely win.

I beat them all with my vanguard, scrapper and jugg.

I have done a lot of studying to figure out how to beat these classes. I have video and stats to back it up. I did this NFL style watching game tape. Steps are below!

1. Kite!

2. Kite more!

3. More kiting!

There use to be skill in this game. Stop requesting the removal of that skill. Learn your class before you destroy the game.

Battlemaster Sorc

Nos

You can't kite an Anh Mara.

/thread

You people are so full of it.

I'd give 5 million credits to anyone who can successfully kite me, other than a sniper.

We have just as many anti-kiting tools as you have kiting tools. The only class that can negate this, as I said, are snipers, because we can't leap to them.

Leap

15% permanent movement speed increaseCombat spec only

Spammable snare at no focus cost ?? How?

Stealth which breaks roots and increases movement speed With Spec Combat spec

80% speed increase through transcendence With spec...

Master strike which roots Spec....

Crippling throw which roots Spec...

Force stasis

CC breaker

Awe with no focus cost

Yeah, you aren't kiting me liars.

And that spec is COmbat which IMO is still inferior

I got a question for you. How long can you keep up transcendance?

There is this sentinel on my server who is constantly sprinting around in EVERY fight. Not every WZ, but every single time I see this chick she is sprinting in combat. That seems ridiculously OP'd to me. Thing is, she is the only one I've seen do this all the time. Can you always have 30 stacks of centering at all times? I mean, she comes of the speeder and starts bolting.

I'm just checking because I am under the impression she has some kinfd of transcendance/centering hack.

You can if you want to nerf your DPS by like 100k a WZ

All those classes, but one, can beat a sentinel. Only sorc is impossble (and I hear commando). And sniper will definitely win.

I beat them all with my vanguard, scrapper and jugg.

If you beat a mara as a jug, then the marauders on your servers are terrible, if you beat a vanguard, same thing, scrapper might be problematic but you either :

1 cloak after the 1.5 sec stun and run away = tie

or

2. dot him, then cloak, when his health drops a bit you have the jump on him and = win.

I remember killing a tanskin and DPS operative 2 on 1 and the operative had the jump on me.

I'm not saing im good, im not saing I was against good players, but I am pointing out that with all the defensive cooldowns and all the damage a Sent/Mara can do they are imbalanced to say the least.

Snipers/Gunslingers are a whole diferrent matter but if only 1 AC can expect to win against an AC that can faceroll everything else, than yes, there is a slight lack of balance.

Edited by SajPl

If you beat a mara as a jug, then the marauders on your servers are terrible, if you beat a vanguard, same thing, scrapper might be problematic but you either :

1 cloak after the 1.5 sec stun and run away = tie

or

2. dot him, then cloak, when his health drops a bit you have the jump on him and = win.

I remember killing a tanskin and DPS operative 2 on 1 and the operative had the jump on me.

I'm not saing im good, im not saing I was against good players, but I am pointing out that with all the defensive cooldowns and all the damage a Sent/Mara can do they are imbalanced to say the least.

Snipers/Gunslingers are a whole diferrent matter but if only 1 AC can expect to win against an AC that can faceroll everything else, than yes, there is a slight lack of balance.

They can't faceroll everything else. That's where we disagree.

Vanguards are BAD ***. I'll take anyone with my vanguard. I'm mostly tank specced with some tactics. I.. kick... ***. I laugh at marauders and eat them for breakfast and the victories aren't close. I dominate marauders. I dominate pretty much everything. In huttbal it's so bad enemy teams flag me for focus fire because I can win a game near solo if they don't all come after me.

With scrapper it depends. If I start the fight I win. Even if bleeding I just need to time the restealth just right to get off a second first shot. If they start the fight... I can still win, but it's an uphill battle and they have to make some mistakes. Another thing is to first shoot, backblast and restealth immediatedly just as they are getting up and just chill out. Then come back when it's ready again which isn't a long time at all. I can't believe people are whinning over a 7 sec CD.

With my jugg they simply can't kill me quick enough and my CC is better than theirs. I can take a beating from an entire enemy team without heals for quit a while with CDs. I also think jugg shield blocks alot of marauder damage. Or so I've heard. I have even taken on multiple marauders and win. But at least one will die before I die. They just don't seem to be able to hurt me. It's a complete 180 with my sorc. It's like fighting a scrapper with spammable first shot. My health is gone in mere moments. It's infuraiting because they'll keep coming after you and there is nothing you can do. And the bad ones who I might beat just spam the basic free attack and are doing 600dmg a pop. I have actual abilities that cost force that do that dmg and these guys are spamming it for free. When people talk about kiting a marauder I know they have no clue what they are talking about and are full of it. You cannot kite a competent melee in this game. Kiting DOES NOT exist in TOR. It's a myth.

Yeah, they do tend to cloak if the CD is up. But that's not a tie. That's a win. One side doesn't have to run away with their tail between their legs in a tie. Intimidating Roar should negate that if you trigger itquick enough. Sometime they get to thinking that they'll run over to a heal and then come back. That's when I got em. Many times they see me at lower health and think it's a easy win. But I usually take so little damage that it ends up equalizing and I end up winning. Also, if they are defending a point they can't afford to run away.

I just want to know where the focus free spammable snare comes from

I think he is confused with immortal jugg. It's lovely in voidstar in the corridors. Spamming aoe slow to the entire enemy team while they struggle to focus my invincible ***. LOL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.