Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why are 5k+ smashes on 4 targets at once balanced?

Cataphractone

Long set up? lol

1. Charge -> 100% crit on smash
  2. 31 point talent -> 4 stacks 40% more damage
  3. Stim, relic, adrenal -> more damage
  4. Use smash ->big crit

That is maybe 4-5 seconds, and you can do it twice with obliterate and force choke.

I have a juggernaut dude, I've used that spec. It is not a "long set up".

I guess defending a door in voidstar as a melee class makes me bad. Who would have thought?

I love how you lump Stim, Relic, Adrenal as one step...

Several other AC's can do that much AOE with one or 2 buttons... hence the phrase... Long set up... You make it sound instaneous...

I dont even play jugg/guardian and your biggest beef with that tree is there only real big shocker... and if done right it can do 9K and I think thats too light...considering only a couple of WZ can make real use of it, the other two most people are spread out...

Edited by Blloodbane

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't do that more than once every 12 seconds. The guardian is more likely to die in those 12 seconds than kill anything. Focus tree has no surv.

And also, sweep has a short range and with a bit of lag and your target constantly moving, you'll miss those sweeps unless you're standing on top of your target.

I know what no survivability is like. :(

I'm a powertech, but that friendly charge can get you out a bind.

I love how you lump Stim, Relic, Adrenal as one step...

It is one step. Unless you are a clicker I guess.

I can hit all 3 of mine in probably a second. Ctrl+t, shift+d, q. And stim isn't included. You do that before you even engage in combat, or you should.

Edited by Cataphractone

I know what no survivability is like. :(

I'm a powertech, but that friendly charge can get you out a bind.

It is one step. Unless you are a clicker I guess.

I can hit all 3 of mine in probably a second. Ctrl+t, shift+d, q. And stim isn't included. You do that before you even engage in combat, or you should.

and hitting things like Orbital Strike or Lightning Storm is 1 or 2 buttons and does really good AoE damage... I seen a PT do a pyro attack that just devestated some people too... that needs to be nerfed too?

and hitting things like Orbital Strike or Lightning Storm is 1 or 2 buttons and does really good AoE damage... I seen a PT do a pyro attack that just devestated some people too... that needs to be nerfed too?

We did get nerfed, and we probably will again. :(

We have no survivability though. It sucks.

You mean DFA? Cause that's not Pyro only.

You mean DFA? Cause that's not Pyro only.

I dont know what it was.... but it wasnt Death From Above.... It was a flame attack and I have 1261 Expertise and it took 40% of my health (18K hp) ... don't know what they did but I did take notice and re-adjust my strats... Heck I dont know if it was even that for sure, it might have been another ability... can their AoE flame attack do that much damage? its what I saw at the time...

and this is not a NERF comment BTW... It was a PT and it was in a Voidstar game and we were defending the bomb plant and this one solo PT comes in and 4 of us are on him and he did an attack and a good chunk of my health vanished... LOL

Edited by Blloodbane

I dont know what it was.... but it wasnt Death From Above.... It was a flame attack and I have 1261 Expertise and it took 40% of my health (18K hp) ... don't know they did but I did take notice and re-adjust my strats... Heck I dont know if it was even that for sure, it might have been another ability... can their AoE flame attack do that much damage? its what I saw at the time...

You might be talking about an AP PT. Their buffed Flamethrower can easily do that, as Flamethrower is the hardest hitting single attack that ANY spec of PT has, and it's buffed by 50% damage.

You have to channel it though.

Edited by Varicite

Just don't stand directly in the turret control room in Novare Coast and you'll usually be fine against mass Smash combos.

Note that Smash's strengths also work against it. If you can hit by 4 Smash at the same time, that means the 4 guys used Smash can all be hit by a Smash from your own team. Since Smash does do a lot of damage, the number of Smashes isn't usually very important once you get past 2. The first team to get 2 Smashes will probably win even if the other team has 8 Smashers (because they'd almost all be dead after 2 Smashes and ranged DPS can finsh them off easy). Of course any character with a decent range game can also avoid Smashes rather easily.

I dont know what it was.... but it wasnt Death From Above.... It was a flame attack and I have 1261 Expertise and it took 40% of my health (18K hp) ... don't know what they did but I did take notice and re-adjust my strats... Heck I dont know if it was even that for sure, it might have been another ability... can their AoE flame attack do that much damage? its what I saw at the time...

and this is not a NERF comment BTW... It was a PT and it was in a Voidstar game and we were defending the bomb plant and this one solo PT comes in and 4 of us are on him and he did an attack and a good chunk of my health vanished... LOL

We have no "fire attack" that does that. Well not in the sense that it does elemental damage.

A pyros PTs biggest hitter is railshot. It is weapon damage(can be deflected, dodged, and so on). It can crit for 5k isn't on a squishy target.

You might be talking about an AP PT. Their buffed Flamethrower can easily do that, as Flamethrower is the hardest hitting single attack that ANY spec of PT has, and it's buffed by 50% damage.

You have to channel it though.

According to the OP it doesnt exist...

We have no "fire attack" that does that. Well not in the sense that it does elemental damage.

A pyros PTs biggest hitter is railshot. It is weapon damage(can be deflected, dodged, and so on). It can crit for 5k isn't on a squishy target.

A Pyro's biggest potential hitter is actually Flamethrower, but it's not practical to use for Pyro.

Rail Shot is the biggest hitter out of a Pyro's normal attacks.

No... the only thing that could have been is his fire tornado, and that tickles. Now if he drilled you with a railshot, maybe. But that shouldn't account for 40% of your life. AKA pics or it didn't happen.

No... the only thing that could have been is his fire tornado, and that tickles. Now if he drilled you with a railshot, maybe. But that shouldn't account for 40% of your life. AKA pics or it didn't happen.

It's amazing the amount of people who don't know how much damage Flamethrower can do, and just pretend that this is impossible for a PT. <.<

If each tick crits, it will do 6-7k damage over the duration of the channel for a PYRO PT.

It will do 8-9k damage over the duration for an AP PT.

It is the biggest hitter that ANY PT can possibly use, regardless of spec. Only one spec can use it regularly, though, which is Advanced Prototype due to the Prototype Flamethrower and lowered cd talents.

Those numbers are assuming buffs/cds, btw.

Edited by Varicite

I can hit 8 people for 6.5k+.

I am an Operative; and the ability is called Orbital Stike.

Oh BTW it requires 6 idiots to stand there and get hit when they know it's coming.

(Do you see the underlying premise of my post?)

1 orbital isnt a guaranteed crit

2 the dmg is over what 6-8 seconds?

3 there is a gigantic symbol on the ground and giant explosions everywhere where smash is instant with next to no animation

buff the rage/focus tree but a guaranteed 5-7k crit on multiple targets shouldn't be in the game

sounds like the animation from immolate which isnt actually aoe and does pretty crappy dmg i bet someone hit immolate then u got a heat seeker from a merc of a really big crit rail

Edited by DarthVallik

A. I didnt think about a SS because I have nothing I am really trying to prove.

B. I am not calling for a nerf or QQ about it.

C. Using it as reference that other classes have AOE that hit for 5K or more damage.

1 orbital isnt a guaranteed crit

2 the dmg is over what 6-8 seconds?

3 there is a gigantic symbol on the ground and giant explosions everywhere where smash is instant with next to no animation

buff the rage/focus tree but a guaranteed 5-7k crit on multiple targets shouldn't be in the game

Its the most UP and least used tree in the game and you think it needs to be removed.

I'm still in BM on my PT, but my Flamethrower hits for like 1k a tick. Crit I think is in the neighborhood of 1.7. Of course I don't use it very often because it's so circumstantial and niche. There has to be 3 or more enemies in front of me, I have to think they're going to stay in front of me, they have to not be hitting me, and all in melee(ish) range. Then I'll bust out the flame thrower, but usually only after DFA, AOE taunt, and Sticky dart.

Flamethrower hits hard but I'd be pretty shocked if it did 50% of your HP :eek: Then again I've literally never tried AP ever because I think the spec is garbage ;)

*edit* just checked out the AP tree looking specifically for flame thrower talents and didn't realize how many of them I just totally overlooked. That's kind of neat. I might try that spec sometime when I'm bored.

Edited by Scoobings

HMMM?

Seems silly to me!

I think its silly it has to be the one guy that 5 jump getting the nerf.

The game needs bufs not nerfs. If heal were viable i would have healed u but unfortunately my bh healer can only run thru wzs naked after 1.2 since even played perfect thats all the benefit he adds.

Its the most UP and least used tree in the game and you think it needs to be removed.

reading comprehension ftw!

i said buff the tree but skils like that shoudnt be in a game with PVP

I'm still in BM on my PT, but my Flamethrower hits for like 1k a tick. Crit I think is in the neighborhood of 1.7. Of course I don't use it very often because it's so circumstantial and niche. There has to be 3 or more enemies in front of me, I have to think they're going to stay in front of me, they have to not be hitting me, and all in melee(ish) range. Then I'll bust out the flame thrower, but usually only after DFA, AOE taunt, and Sticky dart.

Flamethrower hits hard but I'd be pretty shocked if it did 50% of your HP :eek: Then again I've literally never tried AP ever because I think the spec is garbage ;)

*edit* just checked out the AP tree looking specifically for flame thrower talents and didn't realize how many of them I just totally overlooked. That's kind of neat. I might try that spec sometime when I'm bored.

it sounds like the immolate animation (massive firestorm everywhere) its not aoe and the health was most likley immolate + a crit rail from the AP tree

immolate is funny its single target but i see everyone flee from the animation cause it honestly looks like it should be a devastating aoe

Edited by DarthVallik

lol, it won't do what a Pyro can, that's for sure, but it's considerably less garbage now. I've been messing w/ a few specs, and it can be dangerous.

Unfortunately, it still seems mostly like a gimmick spec focused on Flamethrower. It actually plays a LOT like a Tankasin, where you have to get your stacks and then hope you don't get stunned/KB'd out of your uninterruptable channel. Only you're still squishy and can't heal, lol.

The biggest gimmick though? Everyone assumes you are Pyro, and because you fight these specs completely differently, you can capitalize on their mistake and kill them. Heh.

I wouldn't be shocked to see AP's FT do half of someone's health, but Pyro's does hit for less. I think mine will crit for around 2k~ a tick w/ buffs up, whereas it will do somewhere around 2.7-3k a tick fully buffed as AP.

I honestly think the guy just assumed that it was a Pyro because most people are Pyro nowadays (for good reason).

lol, it won't do what a Pyro can, that's for sure, but it's considerably less garbage now. I've been messing w/ a few specs, and it can be dangerous.

Unfortunately, it still seems mostly like a gimmick spec focused on Flamethrower. It actually plays a LOT like a Tankasin, where you have to get your stacks and then hope you don't get stunned/KB'd out of your uninterruptable channel. Only you're still squishy and can't heal, lol.

The biggest gimmick though? Everyone assumes you are Pyro, and because you fight these specs completely differently, you can capitalize on their mistake and kill them. Heh.

I wouldn't be shocked to see AP's FT do half of someone's health, but Pyro's does hit for less. I think mine will crit for around 2k~ a tick w/ buffs up, whereas it will do somewhere around 2.7-3k a tick fully buffed as AP.

I honestly think the guy just assumed that it was a Pyro because most people are Pyro nowadays (for good reason).

I could see that flamethrower being quite entertaining on void star or novare, but that's about it. You'd get pooped on in civil war and huttball I think.

Yeah, I'd agree pyro is quite a bit better. I play a variant of Pyro, and so far I'm the only one I've seen running it :D It's basically parakeet but in Combustable. Been running that since day one, and I think it's pretty damned sexy :) Has like 80-90% of the burst of pyro, and way-y-y-y-y more mobility, utility, and a tiny bit more survivability.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.