"Return of the Jedi"... what does it mean?

Gedierond

This is something I´ve always wondered...

The title of Ep. 6 "Return of the Jedi" refers to Anakin returning from the Dark Side to the Light Side and becoming once again a Jedi Knight? Or does it refer to the Jedi returning to their position of guardians of peace and justice, symbolized by Luke and the redeemed Anakin ending Palpatine´s rule? (or maybe another meaning I didn´t think about).

What are your thoughts about it?

I´m sorry if this has already been brought upon, or if it´s basic SW lore... I just could never find it anywhere!

Well before the name change it was Revenge of the Jedi if you happen to get one of those posters, instant cash.

But the 2nd title referred to good defeating evil, and Luke, a now fully proclaimed Jedi shall save the galaxy and bring order - the Jedi are back.

Edited by Eillack

Well before the name change it was Revenge of the Jedi if you happen to get one of those posters, instant cash.

But the 2nd title referred to good defeating evil, and Luke, a now fully proclaimed Jedi shall save the galaxy and bring order - the Jedi are back.

Cash? CASH?!?!?!?

If you had one of those posters and sold it, you should no longer have the right to call yourself a Star Wars fan :p

The title of Ep. 6 "Return of the Jedi" refers to Anakin returning from the Dark Side to the Light Side and becoming once again a Jedi Knight?

Would you believe, I never thought about "the Jedi" as singular, referring to Anakin's redemption? That is a lovely thematic double meaning to put with the obvious "The Jedi Order is back and going to save everything."

Would you believe, I never thought about "the Jedi" as singular, referring to Anakin's redemption? That is a lovely thematic double meaning to put with the obvious "The Jedi Order is back and going to save everything."

Actually, there´s an interesting origin on this question I posted here.

I´m from Argentina, and in Spanish we use different articles to describe singular and plural nouns (while in English one simply uses "the" in both cases). The Spanish translation used here in Argentina for the title of Ep. 6 uses the singular article, so one thinks that the title is referring to the return of one particular Jedi (which I would assume to be Anakin). But I´ve always wondered if they gave it the right translation here... Judging by what all of you are saying, they actually didn´t make a good translation of the title, which I find quite interesting and amusing!

Hope the explanation I wrote above is clear. Thanks for your replies!

You´re right, seeing how the title was before the change does seem to indicate that "the Jedi" refers to the Order rather than Anakin. Thanks for the heads up!

Revenge or Return...interesting, but not how i ever thought about it!

I always kind of thought that those original movies existed in a vacuum (no flaming on episodes 1-3 intended), but rather that they existed in the vacuum of Lucas' mind..leaving us with a story of a galaxy trying to throw off the reach of a despot. granted that story focused almost entirely around one family, and left us watchers with more than 1 or 2 questions regarding family normalcy (i bet Luke woke some nights in a sweat about that kiss!!)...

...BUT i digest

i always thought the return of the Jedi was an interesting thing. we know from the little lore within the original episodes that the Jedi were "once guardians of peace and knowledge" who were wiped out by the emperor and Vader. Along the way, Luke, the Jedi protege, seeks training from Yoda, and when he wonders about his standing as a Jedi ("then i AM a Jedi..."!), his awe is short lived. Yoda explains that HIS walk to be a Jedi, and the RETURN of the JEDI to the galaxy cannot occur until Vader is defeated.

The fact that Vader was redeemed, was the Chosen One, and completed the prophecies about him were moot points - we didn't have nearly enough information in the day to worry about such things!

Nor should we be concerned with the fact that it was Luke who became the Jedi...there was, remember "another Sky....walk...er!" leaving me to assume it was the Return of the Order!

The title of Ep. 6 "Return of the Jedi" refers to Anakin returning from the Dark Side to the Light Side and becoming once again a Jedi Knight? Or does it refer to the Jedi returning to their position of guardians of peace and justice, symbolized by Luke and the redeemed Anakin ending Palpatine´s rule? (or maybe another meaning I didn´t think about).

What are your thoughts about it?

I´m sorry if this has already been brought upon, or if it´s basic SW lore... I just could never find it anywhere!

Simple. Luke became a Jedi knight and kicked Palpatines ***.

Edited by Zertheron

Cash? CASH?!?!?!?

If you had one of those posters and sold it, you should no longer have the right to call yourself a Star Wars fan :p

I would never sell it unless I lost everything haha. I'm a business major...these kind of thoughts are being drilled into my head.... :p

It's Luke. If it was Anakin that would be a mighty short return. He goes back to the light side and dies shortly after making the return barely anything.

Plus since it was Revenge of the Jedi first... what, is Vader taking revenge on himself for kill them all?