What is the best class for healing?

josuevta

Slipt, thanks for humoring the doubters. Me, I try to take people at their word. Even though it seems like you and I are a little at odds at times, I don't doubt your ability. I have seen some detailed posts showing you know what you are talking about, so combine that with the little thought healing takes ATM and the fact that your gear is better than mine and its easy to conclude that your numbers are real. <shrug>

Could you do me (and the community) a favor and cross-post the same thing to this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=428397

Thank you.

I know that most of my posts either read like I'm up myself or talking out my rear, so I don't begrudge people their doubts and I guess it's my responsibility to prove that what I'm doing does actually work for me.

I hope it is actually useful information for some people, and I appreciate you asking me to cross-post it.

Hugs.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that most of my posts either read like I'm up myself or talking out my rear, so I don't begrudge people their doubts and I guess it's my responsibility to prove that what I'm doing does actually work for me.

I hope it is actually useful information for some people, and I appreciate you asking me to cross-post it.

Hugs.

Don't take things personally here... unless you're one of a certain handful of trolls (they know who they are).

The responses given to people who aren't up in arms over the current state of healing in this game are often harsh, but for good reason:

1) Most people who oppose the outcry among the healer community do so because they can complete content just "fine". People said the same thing about Operative/Scoundrel healing, so the dev response was to nerf the other healers down to their level. The more people that tow the company line on this one, the more likely we are to just get handed another plate full of nerfs.

2) We're frustrated, aggravated, and/or quite frankly pissed off. We're mad because we, for whatever reasons, enjoyed the game and hoped to see it get better as it evolved. To that end we worked as a community to see things improve for the state of healing. In response we were essentially told by the dev team to sit down, shut up, and do our job. I say "essentially" because the dev team very rarely bothers to address us at all, and, when they do, never on the topic of discussion and instead reply to some off-topic remark at best, flat out lie to us in a pathetic attempt at misdirection at worst, so we have to infer these things.

3) I touched on this one a bit in #2, but the dev team treats us as the enemy. We make waves, we call them out on their outright lies, and we aren't afraid to shout "Your metrics are a load of crap!" from the nearest mountaintop (figuratively speaking... though I might consider it if there were mountains nearby). Ever since the discussions and arguments for improving healing in the game have really taken off, right around the time that Operative/Scoundrels started being sidelined for other healers, the dev team has been trying their best to silence and discredit us, instead of actually addressing any of our concerns.

- People said Op/Scoundrels were underwhelming compared to the other healers, the devs say their testers have no trouble.

- We ask "Where's the burst?", they say "Surgical Probe".

- We say we're getting benched from operations, they say it isn't their problem that the playerbase has misconceptions about the relative power of a class/spec.

- We say "Ok, changes to our 31pt ability is nice... but just making our top tier ability viable isn't going to fix our concerns with the class...", they say "Changes to X do not preclude changes to Y and Z."

-- 1.2 hits PTS

- ... Erm... okay... why such a heaping pile of nerf for Merc/Commando healers? Georg Zoeller: "Underlying changes... almost every aspect of game... test yourself"

- RuQu coordinates with healers that got copied to the PTS to try and find these underlying changes, with absolutely nothing that indicated anything but Expertise had been changed, resulting in a rather expansive thread with all of this information and discussion and testing. Georg Zoeller replies to some random off-topic person, completely ignoring the topic of the discussion that was essentially seeking clarification of information he gave us in an attempt to placate the masses and discredit any untested theorycrafting based solely on the PTS notes.

That's pretty much a mini-history of the healing community's struggle to fight "The Man". :cool:

Though I kinda left out all the times GZ replied to threads to troll them while ignoring the rational discussions on the same topic.

And the time GZ's spiritual successor (at least on the forums) called RuQu a troll.

And metrics. And teams of stunlock... oh wait, I'm in the healer forum.

That's probly a more than long enough post to get the point across. :o

Edited by Xaearth

I get the point, and think there's another one to be made.

I'm actively avoiding making any 'merc heals are fine' threads, or posting to the same.

I preferred healing pre-1.2, and I felt the nerf like everybody else and think it was too strong.

I have never said healing is easy, and don't believe that it is.... and lastly, my kingdom for less heat.

The problem we seem to be having though, is that every discussion which is in any way positive is getting hijacked and taken to the topic of 1.2 nerfs. I don't mind that so much, since I agree that bioware needs to get a clue regarding just how hard they hit us... but simultaneously there's not much on the forums that's helpful to people who are persevering with their class choice. What few useful posts and interesting discussions are on these forums warrant wading though pages of drivel to get at, and the people who are trying to make do with a bad situation are having it made worse by the trolling and relentless waves of pessimism.

I feel that this community should be about more than synchronised complaining.

As far as our parses go, the healer need to bring only 950 HPS for nightmare modes. And even two commandos can easy bring these numbers. For this it dont matter if the heal comes from AE or single target.

The only fights that "might" be a problem on nightmare are XRR-3 and Jarg+Sorno.

Be careful with a generalization like that. While an average of X HPS my be required, you don't have the stats to say that that is all that is needed. You pointed out XRR-3 and J+S. Those have burst and sustainability that may not be available to someone who can simply average 950 HPS. Don't get me wrong, I think the data is very valuable, just don't over extrapolate it.

I'm actively avoiding making any 'merc heals are fine' threads, or posting to the same.

I preferred healing pre-1.2, and I felt the nerf like everybody else and think it was too strong.

I have never said healing is easy, and don't believe that it is.... and lastly, my kingdom for less heat.

The problem we seem to be having though, is that every discussion which is in any way positive is getting hijacked and taken to the topic of 1.2 nerfs. I don't mind that so much, since I agree that bioware needs to get a clue regarding just how hard they hit us... but simultaneously there's not much on the forums that's helpful to people who are persevering with their class choice. What few useful posts and interesting discussions are on these forums warrant wading though pages of drivel to get at, and the people who are trying to make do with a bad situation are having it made worse by the trolling and relentless waves of pessimism.

I do think people may be jumped on too quickly due to the frustration felt by many members of the community. It is an unfortunate byproduct of the environment. The reason is that in spite of the community's response to the changes the devs have essentially stated that we are "fine" or "viable". And that is true, but avoids the larger issues. So when a community member responds with "we're fine", it really pisses people off because it is like shoving the "party line" down the community's throat.

Easiest way of resolving the issue is for the devs to open a dialog with the healing community instead of initially ignoring the community and then locking posts that were constructive.

i agree with the commando/merc nerf was no fun but 950 hps is a bit low even with the nerf for nightmare. i heal roughly 1.1k-1.3k hps as my commando. also a good heal team would be sage/commando or sage/scoundrel. though commando/scoundrel can work too just both healers have to be at the top of there game they dont have the leeway like a sage does with there aoe heal. though i still enjoy our healing i do maybe 3 mill plus on poerations and easily over a 1 mill plus in hard mode flashpoints. though since is for heals id suggest sage just because its the easiest class to play to heal there force regen is a bit hard to learn but do able

i agree with the commando/merc nerf was no fun but 950 hps

is a bit low even with the nerf for nightmare. i heal roughly 1.1k-1.3k hps as my commando. [...]

950 hps is meant to be the HPS without overheal.

10-20% overheal is totally normal. And there you get

your 1.1k.

950 hps is meant to be the HPS without overheal.

10-20% overheal is totally normal. And there you get

your 1.1k.

overheal as you mean using relics and what not? or scc? sorry for a noob question lol

overheal as you mean using relics and what not? or scc? sorry for a noob question lol

Overhealing is "wasted healing" - healing an amount greater than that needed to completely heal your target.

Effective Healing is healing that actually makes Health Bars move.

There are several situations and mechanics in SWTOR (and most other MMOs) that make a certain percentage of Overhealing unavoidable (Kolto Bomb not being a "Smart Heal" for example, or a HoT ticking away on somebody who was topped off by another Heal).

Since the current Combat Logs track Total Healing (Effective + Overheal) people assume a certain "fudge factor" percentage of your HPS is Overhealing.

Hope this helps

I didn't follow this entire thread, and I'm not familiar with your posting history, the way I would have been a month or two ago.

Your point here is an important one. There really is very little out there to help those who are still around.

There are a number of causes:

1) Fewer people in general. 400k subs lost between February's figure of 1.7million and the end of Quarter reporting from the end of March showing 1.3million. That doesn't include anyone with long subscriptions, since a 3-month won't have expired during that window and a 6-month, with the free month, will last the next quarter as well. Many people, such as myself, are in that "subscribed but no longer playing" category just waiting on that time to expire. Fewer people in general means fewer groups and less data.

2) Fewer healers in particular. Patch 1.2 targeted healers in particular, so they have left the game or re-rolled in larger numbers than the other roles. Only a sub-population of players visits the forums, and with so many healers no longer playing this forum is largely a ghost town.

3) Posters who think there is nothing wrong and tend to call those who think there is a problem whiners or tell them to L2P. Any thread on how to heal post 1.2 has a high likelihood of someone saying "It's fine, you just need to L2P, so here's some advice on how to do that." The anti-1.2 camp sees the phrase "it's fine" or "L2P" and immediately dismisses the advice and derails the thread.

4) Ignorant optimism. Related to 3, some people say "It's fine, L2P" without knowing what they are talking about, or while making comparisons to classes they don't play/understand. This ignorance leads to a false sense that everything is fine, and is hard for the anti-1.2 camp to resist correcting the poster's misconceptions.

5) Most of the most helpful members, guide writers, theorycrafters, testers, and general advice request respondents are gone or on their way out. The people who would normally write the info on how to heal now and back it up with data and evidence no longer play, and can't be bothered to do so. If I had any faith in the Dev team, I would have muddled through this change and written quite a few threads on post-1.2 Commando/Merc testing, theory, simulation, and advice. However, I do not have any faith in them designing interesting healer gameplay or correcting the damage they did in 1.2, so I've done the only rational thing and moved on. Other's have done the same: bobudo, XtremeJedi, Soshla, ErrantMercenary, Ewert, TempestasSilva, Lileth, Raani....and those are just the names of prominent forum posters that immediately come to mind at 3AM who are no longer playing this game, and there are others who still play for now but have canceled (orideth, Xearth ShadowAx...)

Some of those points are inter-related, but the key point is in #5. It is hard to get a good constructive discussion of how to heal in 1.2 going because the most avid testers and posters are all gone.

This sub-forum had an amazing community there for a couple of months, but it is all but dead now.

Overhealing is "wasted healing" - healing an amount greater than that needed to completely heal your target.

Effective Healing is healing that actually makes Health Bars move.

There are several situations and mechanics in SWTOR (and most other MMOs) that make a certain percentage of Overhealing unavoidable (Kolto Bomb not being a "Smart Heal" for example, or a HoT ticking away on somebody who was topped off by another Heal).

Since the current Combat Logs track Total Healing (Effective + Overheal) people assume a certain "fudge factor" percentage of your HPS is Overhealing.

Hope this helps

ah that does make more sense i understand know. thank you but then most sage heals would be over healing too but still assuming so i never used my kolto bomb unless an aoe damage took place or its a waist of ammo so for the most part when i did use kolto bomb it was after an aoe attack from boss never any other time. since the tank would be the only one taking damage.

Edited by rjavig

For example. Someone has no damage, but you heal him for 1k HPS. Than you healed him effectivly for 0, because he had no damage. But your log still say you healed for 1k HPS.

So it would be 100% overheal.

Overhealing will always happen. Its only a question how much overhealing.

What i was saying with the 950 HPS is that this is about the damage the raid is getting. So you have to counter heal this so no one dies. Yes, it total change from mob to mob.

Best example was our last 16 man EC. Our sage had 2k HPS (over the whole raid). Overheal was about 60%. So 60% of all the healing that was done hit a person who had no damage (or missed less than the healing).

60% of this 2k HPS healing was from salvation (it hit in average 7 player over the full 10 sec, that quote a lot).

Was this mass healing need? No. but why not casting the AE when you have it.

Would two of this healers be able to heal everything alone? most likly not. Even if the HPS is more than enough, the spike damage on a single target would have made it impossible to heal the target that is getting attacked and everyone else.

The raid would still get 4k DPS as damage, but the 4k HPS these two healers are doing would still be 30-50% overheal. And this would result in deathes.

You cant take pure HPS numbers for everything and reflect these. I know this as well. But what other ref do you have that you can use?

Most likly you can only see: Did the boss die? How close was it? How many died and why? Was it easy to heal or hard? What was the healer combination, and how was the other healer?

Edited by Aritok

For example. Someone has no damage, but you heal him for 1k HPS. Than you healed him effectivly for 0, because he had no damage. But your log still say you healed for 1k HPS.

So it would be 100% overheal.

Overhealing will always happen. Its only a question how much overhealing.

What i was saying with the 950 HPS is that this is about the damage the raid is getting. So you have to counter heal this so no one dies. Yes, it total change from mob to mob.

Best example was our last 16 man EC. Our sage had 2k HPS (over the whole raid). Overheal was about 60%. So 60% of all the healing that was done hit a person who had no damage (or missed less than the healing).

60% of this 2k HPS healing was from salvation (it hit in average 7 player over the full 10 sec, that quote a lot).

Was this mass healing need? No. but why not casting the AE when you have it.

Would two of this healers be able to heal everything alone? most likly not. Even if the HPS is more than enough, the spike damage on a single target would have made it impossible to heal the target that is getting attacked and everyone else.

The raid would still get 4k DPS as damage, but the 4k HPS these two healers are doing would still be 30-50% overheal. And this would result in deathes.

You cant take pure HPS numbers for everything and reflect these. I know this as well. But what other ref do you have that you can use?

Most likly you can only see: Did the boss die? How close was it? How many died and why? Was it easy to heal or hard? What was the healer combination, and how was the other healer?

yea i can see where your coming from and yea probably having a boss die is a better reference but at the same time you can still probably overheal there or some people did simple mistakes that killed them for example standing in project salvo for first boss of ev, or thrown into acid by bonetrasher in kp and so on. this might be a bit stupid but a good way so one can maybe not overheal is heal 4 out of the 8 raid group its a bit tough but doable and only use your aoe when they all take an aoe damage if done you might minimize the overheal percentage but at the same time might not work if someone does a misstep or many people do. though i don't think you will be able to take out all over heal percentage unless a group log is out to see how much each person took damage and how much heals each one took but there would still probably be some. that way you can probably see how much each boss need for hps or at least for your raid group. those are some good tips by the way thank you this re post wasnt to contradict or anything just wanted to add a few thoughts

Edited by rjavig

This is one of the strongly negative effects of 1.2. Sages/Sorcs now have to put down their AoE a lot, because standing in it and using force regain ability a couple of times, is far and away the best way for them to regain force.

Before 1.2, most good Sages would be careful about using their AoE. It cost a lot of force, has a casting time and needs good positioning to be most effective. The standard advice used to be, that you should only use AoE when at the very least 3 people were being damaged and the positioning made sense for the raid. More advanced healers, would be judging the relative merits of how much damage was incoming on those 3+ people, how long the damage was likely to last, whether some bubbles would do the job and be more suitable for positioning and maybe top off the damage at a less pressured time etc etc...

After 1.2, the very best way to regain force is to AoE > Regain > Regain. So instead of having to manage force and choose wisely when to use the AoE, you basically nearly always want to use it on or near CD and stand in it and regain force. You do this, even if nobody actually needs healing, because using it to heal just your own damage from Force Regain is still far and away the best way to regain force. More advanced healers do the same - because the other options have been much weakened.

Since the AoE heal is there, other players will move into it if they can, even if they only have a little damage - and there's an advantage to staying in it, because you're continuing to receive heals. That's also partly a function of Sage/Sorc healing now being a good bit slower and more tank focussed since 1.2... they will learn that their best chance of getting decent healing is to take it when it's there. This negatively affects raid management and positioning to some degree too.

So massive over-heals are programmed in to Sage/Sorc healing now, pretty much. It's a function of the awful force management changes that were made and also of the slower, more tank oriented healing that Sages/Sorcs do now. There's more 'on CD' casting and more rigid casting patterns than before... and the difference between basic and advanced play is much reduced.

X

And to make it even worse, Jedi, this result was completely predictable.

Take any decent Sage/Sorc from 1.1.5 and tell them that NS will start costing health again, and one of their first questions will be about the cost and GCD efficiency of using X casts of NS while standing in Salvation. And the answer clearly is 'worthwhile at 2 NS casts.'

If they had bothered to ask a Sage, any decent Sage, what these changes would do they would have foreseen the current negative state of affairs.

i am one of those people that say learn to play your class but im not saying that my healer (commando) is perfect or fine. yes we can do just as fine as other classes but if we do one screw up or mistake its not so forgiving. i feel that we need a bit more breathing space and i would enjoy the class. yes we did need a bit of a "nerf" but the pushed it a bit too far i believe.

i am one of those people that say learn to play your class but im not saying that my healer (commando) is perfect or fine. yes we can do just as fine as other classes but if we do one screw up or mistake its not so forgiving. i feel that we need a bit more breathing space and i would enjoy the class. yes we did need a bit of a "nerf" but the pushed it a bit too far i believe.

Well, i can heal every fight in the game with my commando. But every other healer class can do it BETTER. And this is the problem. Why should i use my combat medic when my sage (with less gear) is healing better?

no i fail to see scoundrels/operatives healing single target better than mercs/commandos. i can burst heal much better than a operative/scoundrel and are better tank healers i never seen a scoundrel/operative do what i have been able to even from good players when it comes to single burst heals and tank heals.

Well, i can heal every fight in the game with my commando. But every other healer class can do it BETTER. And this is the problem. Why should i use my combat medic when my sage (with less gear) is healing better?

if thats happening for single target healing im sorry your not doing something right. even a well geared sage as same as me cant heal better than me when it comes to single target healing in a faster amount of time. also these sages are really good healers. if they are trying to do that there going to burn force down fast and wont be able to do raid heals as well as they should.

The "best" class for healing is the one that fits your playstyle. The "best" class for healing is the one that you enjoying healing with. The "best" class for healing is the class you want to play as, without being viewed as "the best" or "not as good as class X."

Anything other than this means that BW has royally ****ed up, and they need to get their asses in the chair and fix it.

no i fail to see scoundrels/operatives healing single target better than mercs/commandos. i can burst heal much better than a operative/scoundrel and are better tank healers i never seen a scoundrel/operative do what i have been able to even from good players when it comes to single burst heals and tank heals.

The scoundrel/operatives sustain healing on single target is on par (or even a tiny bit above) with the mercs/commandos. That said, they only provide numbers no actual small bonuses like the mercs/commandos (armor buff, healing buff and DR buff sometimes). That and the fact that their healing rotation is tighter (making them worst burst healers) and with less tools to try to adapt to the situation makes them worse tank healers than mercs/commandos.

All healers are very good at something and have a weakness elsewhere. Numbers don't show that but succesful healing is more about knowing your forces and weaknesses and how to assess a situation then pure numbers (otherwise sages/sorcs would be the best healers).

Edited by Sogar

The scoundrel/operatives sustain healing on single target is on par (or even a tiny bit above) with the mercs/commandos. That said, they only provide numbers no actual small bonuses like the mercs/commandos (armor buff, healing buff and DR buff sometimes). That and the fact that their healing rotation is tighter (making them worst burst healers) and with less tools to try to adapt to the situation makes them worse tank healers than mercs/commandos.

I'm not so sure about that.

Pre-1.2 I would agree with you, but, with the quality of life changes to TA/UH stacks and faster Diagnostic Scan (energy gain on crit) I'm leaning towards Op/Scoundrel being the better burst healer simply because we won't be useless for anywhere near as long as the Merc/Commando would be.

I mean, just looking at the abilities it's obvious we suck at burst healing... but since 1.2, so does everyone else, and the question becomes who sucks the least. :(

From a pvp perspective Bh heals are worthless in 1.2. Ops are better but not by much. Sorcs do put up big numbers but that doesnt mean they save lives.

As a bh healer i thrived pre 1.2 doing one thing due to my efficiency other healers couldnt and still cant do. As a bh healer i was the one who could jump into a fight and bring a group back from the edge of death. I focused on players with HP levels below 20% id jump in and heal up the pvpers at deaths door. Now in 1.2 without my efficiency i cant do that esecially if im one of the targets in trying to save. I worked best grouped with a sorc who was bubble spamming as theyd stop the damage long enuff for me to top off the players at or below 20% my spec was all out alacrity so my rapid scan took less time then the gcd. I would bring people back to life so they could live thru burst. Once topped off id lay back and cc till it was time to do it again.

As a OP healer pre 1.2 i was a myth and really just a healer who could also put up a hot or two but really who were we kidding anything with more then 3 points in medic tree was a player who wanted to heal but everyone knew i was trying to be different. Nowin 1.2 i can def heal. However unlike my merc my healing is effective when my targets are above 50% hp. As a op i spend most of my time blanketing my targets with hots then running away testing the patience of the people out to kill me. Run forest run is my moto. I am very effective until the **** hits the fan. As great as i am at topping people off is the exact opposite of my usefulness once some one is below 50% hp. Unlike other healers once my target is below that threshold i can only hope their cds are on cd. See as an op unless i want to waste 25% of my energy to heal someone being hit for more then my hots tick i really just make sure to have 3x TA up and wait for them to dip below 30% ahh finally 30% now i can use my instant and try to keep them alive. Meanwhile i need to make sure i dont lose my TA procs. But wait how do i get TA up? Well i can trust RNG nah bad idea. I can cast a heal and after 2 casts become inefficient. I know time to shiv. So as an OP now i am down to 2 choices keep targets hotted when above 80% hp or wait to heal them below 30% what u ask do i do between 30% and 80% well i interupt and stun making sure to never resolve cap my target. Fun times.

Wait a sec there goes a sorc. Sure they got a super powerful 8 person aoe. Wow. Damn that really makes my numbers look good. Wait it takes longer to cast it then to cap a node? That sucks. Fortunately i can pad the meter by hiding in a corner healing myself while regenning resources. God forbid anyone looks at me cause there goes have my hp bar. Good thing that i can post the highest numbers as long as i stand in one place and no one sees me.

I dont know what bioware is doing but an op can keep a group topped off. A sorc can handle multiple targets taking damage while a op is useless between 30% and 80% of targets hp. All were missing is the guy who saves ur *** when theres barely any *** to save. Bh heals were that guy. The guy whos gonna jump in and make sure that anyone a sorc cant heal in the minute it takes them to cast one aoe or while they wait for their bubble debuff to wear off. The group that a op couldnt keep topped off since focus fire is a ops worst nightmare. The people an op had to hope got below 30% hp but at the same time make sure they had a TA proc available and that their instant was going to work as long as they only had one dps attacking the target.

Healing is missing the 3rd part of the trifecta. Sure we can make big numbers as a sorc sure we can heal a 8 man group as long as there are 8 1v1 battles as an op. But without bh heals we got no one to save the *** of the player on his last breath. The guy who needs a healing plus rapid scan or the group of 3 that needs a kolo bomb and scg cd to top them off. Healing is great as long as no ones in danger. Bh heals were the last line of defense and now in 1.2 they are the healer no one wants to hang out with.

Ops need diagnotic scan on the run. Sorcs need more survivability an and a aoe that takes less time then a school bus to run a quarter mile. Bh healers thou need to go back in time.

BH heals need reverted back to pre 1.2 cause without them the healers that take care of a toons life from 100% to 20% are no good because we all know that the last couple bars of hp are what makes or breaks. Game.